FBI Busts Brooklyn Man With “Stash” of 80,000 of N95 Masks….

I’m not exactly sure what the federal violation is considering the man was selling the face masks; but the FBI determined he was ‘hoarding’ his supply, and arrested him for price gouging. The FBI confiscated 80,000 face masks from his “stash” of supplies.

New York – Baruch Feldheim, 43, is facing charges of assault and making false statements to the feds on Sunday outside his Borough Park home where he allegedly peddled and stored massive amounts of N95 respirator masks, federal officials said.

Feldheim is also accused of price-gouging. On March 18, he’s suspected of selling a New Jersey doctor about 1,000 of the masks for $12,000, a markup of roughly 700 percent, authorities said.

[…] Two days later, the suspected hoarder received a gigantic shipment at his home of about eight pallets of face masks.

FBI agents then staked out his house, first noticing empty boxes of N95 masks outside.

On Sunday, they said they witnessed “multiple instances” of people approaching Feldheim’s residence and walking away with what appeared to be medical supplies.

[…] Following Feldheim’s arrest, the FBI on Monday night raided a warehouse on Pennsylvania Avenue in an industrial section of Linden, NJ, that housed Feldhim’s suspected stash of 80,000 masks, a source said. (more)

He was charged with “assault” for not covering his mouth when he coughed.  That’s interesting.  Additionally, assuming he legally ordered and received the face masks, I wonder what price or markup would have been ok with the feds?

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Coronavirus, Dept Of Justice, FBI, Infectious Disease, media bias, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

195 Responses to FBI Busts Brooklyn Man With “Stash” of 80,000 of N95 Masks….

1. frankmystery says:

I personally don’t care for opportunity sellers like this but it’s a few country, or used to be. This isn’t right. If we need masks THIS bad please arrest hospital administrators who choose bonuses over preparedness.

2. vikingmom says:

“He was charged with “assault” for not covering his mouth when he coughed.”

And yet the two bit thugs in Seattle have learned that spitting on a cop earns them an immediate “get out of jail free” card from the local prosecutor…because it wouldn’t be safe for them to be put into jail?!

• Tiffthis says:

Vikingmon, I was charged with a “projectile missile” for sticking the bird out my car window once. And charged with “assault of a police officer” for dropping a breathalyzer tube from my mouth. Both charges dropped- but still. Cops will do whatever if they aren’t honorable

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“Cops will do whatever if they aren’t honorable”

They get paid to write up bogus charges against you. You have to pay to clear yourself of bogus charges.

Sort of like being a politician or corrupt prosecutor. There are never any personal consequences for your personal ineptitude and/or malfeasance.

• Susan D Harms says:

my son was a sheriffs deputy in Harris Co texas. He had to contact DAs office to see if they would take charges. Can some deputies just make up stuff and see if it sticks? that sounds like official oppression to me.

• vikingmom says:

“if they aren’t honorable…”

Which the VAST majority of them ARE quite honorable but it gets a little old to constantly have people treating you like Sh*t for simply doing your job, especially when that job involves things that most people cannot even imagine having to deal with!

And yes, I know they “signed up for it” but most of them signed up because they felt a calling to make a positive difference in their community…not because they were hoping to be have some drunk spit a breathalyzer tube at them!

• Tiffthis says:

Damn! You must have cabin fever- jumping to conclusions like that. Good day madam

• vikingmom says:

No, I have a family full of first responders and I KNOW the crap they deal with all the time!!

• Tiffthis says:

But you don’t know what happened to me- yet you accused me of spitting on a cop?? Major cabin fever. My dad is FBI in Fl. I have a lots of extended family members who are cops and firemen. I did EMT rotations for a month myself. Calm down Becky

• De Oppresso Liber says:

He’s full of crap — drama queen wanting some attention, in my humble opinion.

Our first responders are taking more crap than ever before; I cannot believe we still have people brave enough, and dedicated enough, to put up with a$$holes like him for the sorry pay we give them.

My hat is off to our law enforcement officers who still stand firm on the Thin Blue Line Between Freedom and Anarchy — God Bless Them!!

Please relay my gratitude and respect to your family members who protect and defend us every day.

• De Oppresso Liber says:

Don’t let them get your goat…..the past few months there’s been a significant uptick in the numbers of “anti-American/cop haters/America sucks” types of posters showing up here. And this used to be such a friendly-family kind of place 😉

I suppose the America haters have gotten wise to how effective we must be in supporting President Trump and America as The Great Shining City on the Hill.

Hang in there — we cannot lose!

• Les D says:

In decades long passed, police and fire were not highly desirable jobs in my major city because the salary was horrible for dangerous and at times disgusting situations. Men like in my family took because there wasn’t anything else, not really for the chance to serve, truth be known. Past 3 decades, there’s a wait list, a long one. For the chance to serve?

• Marc says:

You never stated whether or not you were intoxicated, therefore it’s natural to assume if you’re taking a breathalyzer then you must have been drinking a bit too much.

• Tiffthis says:

I hear ya, Marc. I did say the charges were dropped. But ur correct, I never said any details. It was 2009, UF won the football and basketball championships. Every cop on duty was instructed to bring 10 ppl to jail. I was just unlucky, which is why I was let out ROR and charges were dropped the first day in court. 👍🏼

• Randolph Scott says:

Is there a way to down vote your comment? Now days it is clearly evident that at least 90% of the fedgov cops/agents are NOT honorable. They take these jobs to be overpaid, to push people around, to act like demigods thus pricks etc. Their behavior and the gov’s allowance of said behavior has even filtered down to local leo. There is no honor in law enforcement.

• Tiffthis says:

Randolph, I like to think it’s more 50/50 with good cops and bad cops. But reading the dirt SD digs up on letter agencies and police makes my guess less likely. I mean a cop in Tampa arresting a pastor? Jeeze, just send the people home 🤷🏼‍♀️

• vikingmom says:

There are many things that I could say to you…. About my husband, my son, their friends and their coworkers, who deal with things every single day that you, and 95%of the general public could not imagine, and certainly could not handle. But you’re not worth my time or energy…

I will focus on the vast majority of Treepers who are able to differentiate between corruption at the alphabet agencies, which I fully agree with, and the cops on the street of their cities and towns, who are doing a hard, dangerous job, to the best of their ability, despite the lack of support from politicians and, too often, the public they serve.

Please do not ever comment on my posts again…

• Randolph Scott says:

Then don’t write horse shit like you did before. Oh yeah, it is a free country and we do have freedom of speech, or did you forget that.

• De Oppresso Liber says:

I know exactly how difficult it can be to not respond to some people’s posts; it’s incredibly difficult, and it’s got me in hot water with Ad Rem more than once. But, Ad Rem was very fair and generous to my point of view, and I have bitten my tongue down to a nub in keeping my part of the agreement.

I believe most of the issues are two fold in origin:

1) As with the rest of society, our military branches and law enforcement agencies are a cross section representation of our society over all. Thusly, the demographics change within our military / law enforcement agencies in direct proportion to demographic changes within society over all; we have seen this for ages with seemingly insignificant issues like changes in uniform styles, or the way hair styles change…..long, short, side burns, etc…

But, in my humble opinion, the biggest problem we are currently facing, which will only continue to manifest itself (and not for the good!) is the naturally occurring affect of the millennial generation taking their places within our formerly revered and trusted institutions. Very simply, many millennials are the product of a complete takeover of our public education system by progressive marxists and communists, who have fed these young people anti-American propaganda for about 12 years, and then thrown them out into society with most completely unprepared to maintain the fabric of our society, which has held sway for 240 (plus) years.

There are exceptions of course – those who were raised in close knit families, and whose parents (two in the home – key!) were heavily involved in their children’s lives, are in stark contrast to the “others.” The “others” are most commonly the products of broken homes, absent parent(s), or those who used public schools as babysitters and surrogate parents….the contrast cannot be more stark.

Many of the worst examples of our societal rot can be placed squarely at the feet of our federal Department of Education, and the Federal Teacher’s Union. Until and unless we dismantle the teacher’s union and return control of our public schools back to the states, the situation will only continue to deteriorate, in my humble opinion.

2) Some people are just jerks 😉

• vikingmom says:

2) Some people are just jerks 😉

Thank you!! So true – I KNOW my son and I know his co-workers and I know what they deal with on a daily basis…(and my son was raised in a two-parent home, is a strong Christian, AND has his BA in History, specializing in WWII and the History of US Military battles so his head on on straighter than MANY people twice his age!!)

• Issy says:

I don’t know if it’s quite that high, but it is obvious the fbi is not to be trusted. Are we supposed to believe the only bad people were in the leadership? Why were only the dishonest promoted to these positions? was wrong. There was no excuse for that on any level. It was intimidation plain and simple. So what if it was legal and you were following orders. People with that moral compass don’t belong in any level of law enforcement.

• Issy says:

Ignore the above comment. LOL I was deleting a word and my delete went crazy and wouldn’t stop deleting and then posted it without me touching the post button.

• Randolph Scott says:

I thought your post was very close to being right.

There are no innocents in fedgov cop arena. Everyone within these agencies is complicit by not reporting the criminal behavior. Their silence is their consent. Some agencies should be abolished, buildings torn down, people prohibited from ever working for the U.S. ever again. Everything associated with those agencies destroyed.

• paulyho39 says:

Wow! What can you say?

• tucker7518 says:

A lot of states are doing that now.

3. Rj says:

Are these the Hospital back door masks the President was referring too ? Why is it the Fan Belt Inspectors can arrest this man for this while letting the deep state actors walk from charges this man will spend time in prison for ? Any frogman or swat involved in this ?

• RedBallExpress says:

They brought in Ghostbusters and they got slimed.

• Jack says:

You mean the hospital thefts the local police couldn’t find?

• sundance says:

Well, they didn’t arrest him for stealing them, so I assume he legally obtained them.

• lftpm says:

There are laws that can be activated by local, state or federal executive orders that punish price gouging during disasters, for example on necessities like gasoline and bottled water when hurricanes hit.

If PDJT issued an EO on N95 mask pricing for general-public sales, the seller is probably stuck. Absent this order, the seller was just meeting consumer demand at a mutually-agreeable price point. For his customers, masks were desirable, but not truly essential.

• Marc says:

I’d assume as a Floridian, you’d be against price gouging, such as $10/gallon gas after major hurricanes. This is the same idea, hoarding masks to then sell at exorbitant prices while knowing healthcare workers are in need of those masks in his own city.

That guy is a scumbag taking advantage of people’s fears and needs.

• BitterC says:

True, but it’s certainly not a federal crime. The assault charge is definitely BS. Probably because they don’t really bave a case. Will be interesting to see what happens

• Linda K. says:

How can he get all these masks when the hospitals are falling short?

4. The Devilbat says:

I wonder how much the Feds will charge hospitals and doctors for this guys masks?

• solomonpal says:

How much did they charge in the impeachment sham?!

• allhail2 says:

First question is if a price gouging order was put into place. They are issued for every hurricane in FL.
      If they seized his property, wouldn’t all the masks now be Exhibit “A” in his trial, and have to be held as evidence until such trial?
      If the masks are given to hospitals etc before trial, then this is simply fed seizure of private property.

5. Htxd says:

President trump said to not rise the prices in the conference

6. It wasn’t the price-gouging that got him. He was trying to get his kids into college.

And he wouldn’t promise not to attend services.

• AustinHoldout says:

They’re letting rapists and robbers out of prison to make room for preachers and people whose property the FBI wants to appropriate. He’s sleezy for not selling them at a fair price, but that doesn’t give the Feds the right to confiscate his property.

• Kaco says:

Nobody is condoning rapists and robbers out of jail, in fact we are all complaining that the Dems are doing these things. That doesn’t let this guy off the hook.

7. Mark W says:

The media is furious that President Trump said some medical equipment may be getting stolen, saying he’s making things up. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said exactly the same thing. No problem when he addresses these concerns though.

8. Bogeyfree says:

So I wonder if a guy worked for the DOJ and did something like this on the side would they actually arrest one of their own?

• allhail2 says:

No. More training from the new manual:

“C’mon Fellas, Please Don’t Do Dumb S*** And Get Caught” by Christopher Wray.

It’s a short read. Only one line that looks an awful lot like the title.

9. I wonder if FBI will raid hospitals for “price gouging”? I guess thye have never been to ER and have never seen an itemized bill where an anti nausea pill was charged for $50 – no this is not a mistake. I wonder how much the ER charges for N95 mask! I have not been to ER recently so do not know, but if any treepers have been to one, I would like to know.

10. 4sure says:

So, the mistake this guy made was not using the masks in a plot to overthrow POTUS Trump.

11. Stillwater says:

Assuming he bought the masks legally, I wonder how fast he was able to offload the masks(instead of just sitting on them) and get them to the doctors who needed them, bypassing the bureaucracy that was withholding supplies from the doctors.

12. sundance says:

• lolli says:

If he purchased these legally, this is just supply and demand. This is his property. If he was selling them, he was not hoarding them.
      This seems more like gestapo tactics, IMO.

• boomerbeth says:

We are paying the fbi huge salaries to load trucks? Guess it keeps em from making hoaxes.

Many kids need xtra money, which is far more cost effective,

Give your teens a mask & put em to work!

• nimrodman says:

Yeah, looks like it

He’s not a legitimate supplier, judging from the fact that they’re loading all those boxes out of his residential apartment

Articles also mentioned he had much more stock at at warehouse, called “an abandoned warehouse” in the article linked below.

If you’re a legitimate supplier and have a warehouse, you don’t stockpile that amount of boxes in your apartment

He’s either concealing them there or selling them locally, or perhaps has acquired them out the back door of nearby hospitals and would transport them to his warehouse later.

Here’s an article from 6 days ago written from a doctor’s point of view who was buying from this black-market seller. Mentions the news station was contacting State iofficials about it, likely resulted in an investigation and then this arrest 5 days later

Black Market Seller Charges NJ Doctor 700% Markup on Coronavirus Medical Supplies

But a drastic drop in resources pushed Dr. Salerno to turn to a new supplier. He texted a phone number and traveled to an abandoned warehouse to make the pickup. Inside the warehouse were pallets of N95 masks, hand sanitizer, Clorox wipes, and medical gowns — not your typical black market purchases.

“We have to go out and we have to go literally to these black market brokers or black market pirates and we are paying like 400 – 800% markups to get the protective barriers so I can fulfill that promise of protecting our staff,” Dr. Salerno said.

Here’s another article by NBC New York on the arrest, makes it clear it’s the same guy they wrote the other 700% article about

NY Man Coughs on FBI Agents During Arrest Involving 700% Markup of Medical Supplies

13. $12 doesn’t sound crazy. What are they normally sold for? What is wrong with warehousing a product until you find a buyer? Who wants to bet he’s a white Deplorable?

• grrizzly says:

I bought two for $12 at Lowe’s in early February. Though I got R95s instead of N95s, they are actually more protective than N95s but not in the way that’s relevant to the coronavirus. The store was out of the N95 masks.

• Jan Pauliny-Toth says:

Cut up a vacuum cleaner bag, HEPA standard, insert it snugly into a cheap dust facepiece. You might want to add a valve made from a floppy rubber disk and a disk with a hole.
        One bag makes 3-4 FFP3s.

• boomerbeth says:

$4

14. Ann Warren says:

“This includes the action of hoarding unnecessary quantities of items for the purpose of selling them above the fair market value.

This action is authorized under the Defense Production Act, which allows the President to prohibit the hoarding of needed resources.”

• evergreen says:

How do you sell above market?

• GB Bari says:

Market for critical health-saving items is very inelastic.
        Raising the price when demand rises will not impeded sales volume.
        Opportunistic sellers usually test panicked markets by continually raising the price until it is too high and affects demand (demand tails off). They then back off a bit back to where sales pick up.
        Scarcity of supply usually results in the seller having more room to raise prices.

So our government decided to interfere with this natural market dynamic by determining the items to be critical life-saving items and prices above the “normal” range are considered gouging. Likewise, creating an artificial shortage of that item (by hoarding) in order to drive up price is considered equally wrong.

15. Could someone define a “suspected stash”?

16. mtk says:

A classic case, “Of ‘it fell off the truck’, meeting the ‘back door’ before it met the ‘back door’.”

It is the old, “It ‘fell off the ‘truck’ before it went ‘through the back door’ BS.

17. joebkonobi says:

Brave new world. . .capitalism and coughing w/o covering your mouth are now illegal and you can go to jail for expressing religious freedom. Reckon’ he’ll get the death penalty. Probably a lot of people that would pay $12 a mask but the doc probably got the volume discount. FBI will have to keep the masks for evidence so they will sit in a warehouse unused. I’m sure they will follow the trail up the supply chain and find the Chinese.

18. Right to reply says:

I wonder if this was what POTUS was referring to? He said New York had a sudden surge in orders from 10,000 to 300,000. He may be the front man for a very large con!

19. Are we sure he wasn’t working with/for the Mayor/Governor?

20. 4sure says:

$12 per mask is price gouging? If this guy had been selling these to the military, he could have been getting $1000per mask with no visits from the corrupt FBI.

He just didn’t sell to the right buyer.

21. mtk says:

A classic case, “Of ‘it fell off the truck’, meeting the ‘back door’ before it met the ‘front door’.”

22. disgusted citizen says:

Not sure of all of the details, but whatever they are, equal justice under the law should be applied across the board. Oh wait, William Barr is AG… never-mind, my bad.

23. Deplorable_Infidel says:

“The FBI confiscated 80,000 face masks from his “stash” of supplies.”

The FBI? Since when did they earn our trust and confidence back.

Sounds like a lot, right?

“selling a New Jersey doctor about 1,000 of the masks”

Well that is only 80 transactions, if you have 80,000. Were they stolen masks?

“the suspected hoarder”

I thought the definition of “hoarder” was someone who gathered up, but never got rid of anything?

I think this is all for show, since that damning report concerning their WIDESPREAD FISA abuse was released on 30 MARCH 2020

• kay says:

250 million masks left the country in 1 day according to that article for other countries around the world. The biggest problem was hospitals in the USA didn’t show proof they could pay/funding. As always, the USA’s medical system is built on air. 1 hospital can’t purchase a thing if it doesn’t know how to charge an insurance company. And since most insurers (except BCBS) are saying free everything for COVID19 patients there’s absolutely no ICD9 or ICD10 coding for a mask and no $ amount that will get paid back to the hospital.They should put out a sign “donations welcome”. Here’s where big politics come to play – hospitals want access to the “goodie” room and that means congressional dollars pouring in to each one unfettered, unstopping, for anything. That’s where this “crisis” is heading – National Healthcare because the hospitals after this won’t be able to go back to the way they were in the past – they’ll need to be “nationalized”. First it will be state run and then when that goes under because of insolvency, they’ll be federalized for lack of buying power in a pandemic. This will be the major change. Private vs. Gov’t run hospitals that can order “masks” because they won’t need an icd9/icd10 code for insurance purposes.
      Just a late night thought piece.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“Gov’t run hospitals that can order “masks” because they won’t need an icd9/icd10 code for insurance purposes.”

Nowadays that is the first thing they want to see, as well as “make sure you bring your insurance cards” for every medical visit – even if nothing changed and you have been there 20+ times before. BHO vastly expanded codes (by thousands) for reimbursement. Some of them were brought to light by our republican lawmakers in Washington that also may have had medical licenses.

For example, the code for being bitten by a turtle. There were about five codes for being bitten by a bird. It depended on what kind or species of bird it was.

“Just a late night thought piece.”

There is some valuable information in there that I am sure some other Treepers with knowledge of other facets of “medical billing” will be able to. BHO and his devious throngs of Satanically inspired henchpeople have seeded landmines into our Republic that will take years to resolve – just like the lifetime [activist] judicial appointments he made.

24. jimrockfish says:

If he obtained them legally, he should be able to sell them for whatever he wants. They are arbitrarily taking away our rights under the whole “national emergency” excuse. Not a fan of people doing this or reselling toilet paper etc. for ridiculous amounts. But it’s free enterprise. Free country and all that. Or was.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“They are arbitrarily taking away our rights under the whole “national emergency” excuse.”

On Laura Ingraham’s FNC show this evening, there was a segment with former Gov. Mike Huckabee and Dinesh D’Sousa, Mr D’Sousa said that “the left is using this virus as a pretext to deprive us of our Constitutional rights”. (paraphrasing- quote is from memory)

25. CountryClassVulgarian says:

Did he steal them? If he did not why could the Feds not purchase them from him?

26. Zorro says:

Baruch Hussein Feldheim?

27. joeknuckles says:

The real question is, how much are the FBI agents going to sell them for?

28. Richie says:

Unfortunately, It appears the feds real purpose is to keep as many average Americans as possible from acquiring these masks.

29. booger71 says:

The G-Men always get their man…well unless their man is also a G-Man

30. Magabear says:

How does one get 8 pallets worth of masks right now? 🤔

The guy should’ve just charged 8% sales tax, plastic bag tax and a big gulp face mask surcharge instead. 😁

Beware you toilet paper hoarders, the feds be watching you too. 😄

31. Skidroe says:

Maybe he paid 11.00$ a piece for them? Just let me know when they prosecute Comey, Mueller, Lynch, and McCabe. “The nerve”. All they did was try to take down a President.

32. paper doll says:

It’s amazing how many stashs of masks are out there!

33. ARW says:

He sold them for 12/each. They’re 6/ea at Home Depot in my town.

34. JIM COMEY IS A WEASEL_DOUG says:

Ironic the FBI comes to the rescue of all those heroic medical professionals that are in the national spotlight AT THE SAME TIME we find out they’ve been using FISA applications for toilet paper for 5 years.

35. MustangBlues says:

Ahoy!! Brilliant commenters, In your many thoughtful postings,

Help spread the sharing of respected superior knowledge
    BY DOUBLE SPACING after EACH TWO SENTENCES.

When effectively pontificating, Avoid the haste of chug a lug text chunks,

Let the the slow and older thinkers ruminate on your brilliance, a bite at a time.

36. Perot Conservative says:

This gouging crime is a new one to me. I thought it was Capitalism?

37. Perot Conservative says:

Recall Trump hinting at a problem with masks being sent to New York, massive numbers of masks?

I was figuring the mafia tapped into it.

My one visit to New York & the JK Javits Center, I got an earful about unions & the mafia.

38. waicool says:

The dishonorable FBI can not or will not bust a crooked federal employee referred for criminal prosecution but waste no time to swoop in to bust a guy selling masks. No trust, no confidence in these FBI mobsters.

39. lcsteel says:

comes out to 12.00 a mask.
    Hospitals charge more than that for a band aide or an aspirin

40. Marc says:

So, when hospitals run short on these masks because sleazebags like this Feldheim guy are buying them all up to resell at 5 to 10x markup, who will y’all blame? POTUS signed an E.O. to prevent that from happening but now we’re upset because Trump’s own DoJ is doing the job he ordered them to do.

It is okay to respectfully disagree with the author of this site, right?

41. Kaco says:

The problem is nobody should be selling secondary market of these masks to the open public when hospitals are in short supply, and price gouging to boot, a significant mark-up compared to pre-pandemic. The supplier should be contracting with either the government or the hospitals, not some Joe Schmo in Brooklyn who wants to make a quick buck. Maybe the supplier should be looked at as well as the transaction.

• Ninja7 says:

Capitalism at its finest. Whatever the market is willing to bear. Unfortunately.
      Would I do that, I hope not, but if he had to resupply his cost would be higher.

• Kaco says:

The market is desperate because it’s life or death. He is putting healthcare workers at risk or patients at risk as the healthcare workers are not going to be exposed in order to save the patients. This is completely unethical, and the DOJ has already issued a decree on this in the time of the pandemic.

This is an example of the worst of capitalism. The entire world is suffering from the Wuhan flu in one way or another, and the sooner things are working, not black market bullcrap like this, then the faster we can get back to real business.

Remember those gas station owners who price gouged after 9-11? They were shamed out of business. One happened here in my town, boy was he sorry.

• Rudolph says:

There are many industries where you have to be licensed in the industry before you can buy wholesale supplies. I imagine face masks could be added to that list.

42. JimFromNH says:

So were the masks that were hoarded/stolen, just ones that medical professionals needed?

Because the Surgeon General has been suggesting that the general populace really doesn’t need them anyway. On 2/29/20 Jerome Adams stated that they weren’t effective at stopping coronovirus.
    So I suppose if we’re following government orders and cowering in our homes until May, perhaps that sketchy truck-full might actually be a victim-less crime.

Funny how it seems much of the rest of the world finds enough masks and is wearing them…
    Why not us? And shouldn’t “essential” jobs require them in this pandemic?
    Perhaps its time to stop listening for direction, and just make our own 60-70% effective fabric DIY ones.

43. wodiej says:

You don’t know what his offense was-really?

On March 23rd, President Trump signed Section 4512 of the Defense Production Act banning price gouging and hoarding. This man was not running a business, he was storing and selling these much needed masks from his home. You have to not only have a business license to do this, you need to be operating in a designated business district.

These sell for as little as .25 cents each on Amazon. But you think this man selling them for $12 each to scared people is Ok. Unbelievable.

• wodiej says:

Correction-$10.96 for a box of 10. Of course stores are sold out.

• warhorse says:

they are his property. it is up to him to determine what he wants to sell them for. saying you don’t like the price, and using government violence to take them from him is wrong,

define “gouging”? what is something really worth, if the supply is down and demand is up? why are you allowing the government to set prices…for anything? is that a function the constitution allows the government to have?

define “hoarding”? at what point does the government get to decide “you’ve got too much of that, we’re taking it”? again, please point to the part of the constitution that says the government gets to determine these things.

• Kaco says:

Okay, let’s jack up the price to this black market bozo’s liking on his precious masks. WE will pay for it one way or another. The less supplies are not where they are needed, the longer we stay in sequester. And if the price skyrockets, it will be paid either on the taxpayer’s dime or by increase in healthcare costs.

• warhorse says:

capitalism is wonderful. if the price is too high, people will make items to meet the demand at lower prices. supply and demand. that’s how this works.

“gouging” and “hoarding” are the first cries of marxist fairy dust overdoses. if you can’t afford the price, don’t buy it. if you’re particularly inventive, make your own. then put the other guy out of business with lower prices.

• sDee says:

“define “gouging”

Being charged $1400/mo for health insurance with a $7500 deductible to start off. Then, being charged $250 against that deductible for a blood test which, I found I can get for $50 with my credit card and orders form an independent doctor.

• warhorse says:

government control cut supply and raised prices. that was the point of obamacare. to make private insurance expensive, and then gradually phase it out for anyone but the ultra rich.

anything that inhibits the free market will do that. telling this guy how little or how much he can charge for his property doesn’t actually change the price….it just drives him underground. which raises the prices more, and puts the money in the hands of people that are not exactly boy scouts.

we learned this lesson with prohibition. we’re still learning this lesson with the drug war. you’d think we’d have figured this out by now.

• Super elite covfefe999 loves her President! says:

Thank you for your sane comment, woodiej. There aren’t enough in this forum lately.

44. Frank says:

$12 each isn’t bad. I’ve seen them selling online for $15 each ($300 for a box of 20). So my big question is whether the guy had a business license or not. If not, then he shouldn’t have been using his home as a place of business. Otherwise, he did nothing wrong. This is just more jackbooted BS from the communist state of New York.

45. Akindole says:

“…making false statements to the feds…”

These premier super cop G-men seem to be using that a lot for a bust.
    Send them to their local Martin Luther King Blvd for some training.

46. Matt says:

The so-called “price gougers” serve a vital role in the economy and should not be demonized. Let’s say this guy did not stockpile these masks to resell them.

Instead of 80,000 masks available at a higher price, you would have 0 masks available – but instead you would have maybe 800 people buying 100 masks each and hoarding them. We have already seen exactly this situation with toilet paper, cleaning supplies, canned goods, etc.

By not allowing the price to rise in response to supply/demand you just encourage hoarding behavior.

47. TwoLaine says:

“the suspected hoarder received a gigantic shipment at his home of about eight pallets of face masks.”

I am guessing they are after the big fish. Who is he getting the masks from, and why aren’t they going to thew feds 1st. Isn’t that what all the emergency orders and Defense Acts about. Prioritize the feds orders over all others in war time.

Wasn’t the President alluding recently to someone having 80k masks and then they didn’t, and how could that be?

I said it’s gonna’ look like Puerto Rico. Warehouses full of much needed goods. Governors divvying up their stash for cash as long as they know the feds are gonna’ send them free stuff.