Fresh from the same Dept. of Energy and EPA that gave us: toilets that don’t flush; light bulbs that don’t light; dishwashers that don’t wash; plant-based fuel that burns like carrots; and paper straws that dissolve in liquid….  Now we get this:

[…] Energy Star, the federal program from the DOE and the Environmental Protection Agency, said the coolest you should keep your home is 78 degrees when you’re home.

When you’re at work or away, the program recommends setting it at 85 degrees. When you’re sleeping, Energy Star said to set the thermostat at 82 degrees. (link)

Setting the thermostat at 82° at night is well recognized grounds for divorce. I swear these administrative state progressives are going to have us force-fed sustainable algae cakes if this keeps up.

Some journalist-type person published these new cooling standards on twitter, and the responses are quite funny.

“I see we’ve decided to give up on sleeping. Or going home for that matter. Or having pets that aren’t native to the rain forest.” (link)

“I’ve already embraced a dying Earth, so I keep my central air between 67-72 at all times.” (link)

“I’d be laying there making a giant sweat angel in my bed” (link)

“New report shows these as the recommended temps for smelling like an onion.” (link)

I have no idea how my ancestors survived deserts. If the thermostat in my house showed a number that started with an 8 I would call the police” (link)

But seriously…. given the track record for current energy efficient standards and how they end up being actually applied to life (toilets, dishwashers, lightbulbs etc.) it’s darned frightening to think the Feds believe 78° (when home), 85° (when away) and 82° (when sleeping) is a reasonable cooling standard.

Insta-misery; aka living in hell.

Watch out California….  Pretty soon you might not have options when the proletariat mandates the installation of compliance regulators inside the A/C system.

This entry was posted in Big Stupid Government, energy, Glo-Bull Warming, Occupy Type Moonbats, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

518 Responses to Big Govt Publishes New Cooling Standards: Thermostat Should Be Set to 82 Degrees When Sleeping…

1. Rami says:

Could never have been a middle-aged woman who is suggesting these guidelines. Can you say hot flashes? Thought not. Never come between a menopausal woman and her A/C.

2. A2 says:

This recommendation is pretty hilarious and will be ignored by sensible sentient humans.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Looks like somebody has too much time on their hands.

• sturmudgeon says:

Even when it goes down to 58 F. at night in our area, I can only stand a sheet as covering, and even then, my feet are outside the sheet… At 80 F. I would have to have ice-cubes surrounding me… Where do we find these people?

3. Bruce_Dern's_Finger says:

Hey, give the EPA a break. They took two refrigerant chemicals, R-12 and R-22, gave them a spanking, which caused a revolution in reinventing the wheel on refrigerants and the manufacturing of refrigeration machines that are twice as inefficient as the previous refrigeration machines and as inefficient as our illustrious gatekeepers in Washington D.C.

4. Tall Texan says:

President Trump, if you’re reading CTH this evening, please take a picture of the White House thermostat set to 68 and put it on your Twitter….

5. JoeMeek says:

If Hillary has to try to sleep at 82 degrees, she will melt, and won’t be able to be the compromise candidate at a deadlocked dim convention. So that’s a plus for the 82 idea, if she would do it.

6. emeraldcoaster says:

Our thermostat is set on whatever my better half wants. “Don’t make me poison your food” is her favorite refrain.

7. I Will Not Comply says:

I hate these people!

8. mikebrezzze says:

I live in the high desert, I have a Bonaire evaporator cooler, cost nothing to run it, it was 59 degrees this morning in my living room, take that snowflakes!

9. MikeN says:

You miss the significance of this. Remember how much they push for smart grid, with appliances that the utility can shut off or throttle at times of peak demand.
    This is not just a recommendation, but the first step towards a mandate.

• Kay Emig says:

Exactly right MikeN. My husband has severe peripheral neuropathy – with a narrow temperature range that doesn’t cause pain. These sick government F*cks will eventually get around to using that ‘smart’ meter to try to control one’s ability to heat or cool the home to individual preferences.

• fractionalexponent says:

I tell them what I think all the time…my NEST refrigerator watches and listens…

You can also talk to the government any time, night or day, using the NEST child monitor you put in your kids room…

Don’t have one yet? The sell them at Home Depot…

And the NEST door bell keeps track of who your friends are…

10. Mike in a Truck says:

Might just as well sleep outside.

11. labrat says:

I live in Maine. I have literally turned my ac on when it’s 65 outside.

12. trapper says:

In China they would use smart thermostats to track and identify who fails to comply, adjust your social credit score downward accordingly, and prevent you from buying airplane tickets until you establish a history of obedience. And make no mistake about it, today they are prohibited from buying airplane and long distance rail tickets, but very soon it will be applied to food.

THAT is what was on its way to America before we elected PDJT. I already get regular, unsolicited reports from the electric company telling me how my electric usage compares to my neighbors, with the appropriate shaming language included.

• nimrodman says:

In the coming collectivist America, they’ll simply use “smart” thermostats to turn your setting up to 82 o at night

Done

No need to even track the social credit scores
      … although they’ll do that too

• covfefe999 says:

You make an interesting point … people should just say no to “smart” appliances.

• bsdetector4u says:

“I already get regular, unsolicited reports from the electric company telling me how my electric usage compares to my neighbors, with the appropriate shaming language included.”

We live in the Pacific Northwest and we get those monthly reports from the electric company, too. I love when they shame us by comparing us with our ‘efficient neighbors’ who probably have wood burning stoves to keep them warm in winter. My husband and I wonder how much energy in paper as well as postage costs they’re wasting every month sending these stupid reports.

• MNcarrypermitholder says:

I have a half-rack of servers in my basement. I get twice as many points each month as my average neighbors, and like three times as many points as the “efficient” neighbors. I’m so far ahead now they’ll never catch up. They should just call it off now and give me the trophy right away.

• climate catastrophe denier! says:

I get the same from electric company in blazing hot TX, and they arrive as texts. Plenty of shaming, I tried to get to 100 of 100, the worst grid abuser, but it is almost impossible even with every electric device on.

13. InAz says:

The idiots who dictate never ever follow what they preach/dictate to the unwashed masses.

Do as I say, not as I do is Communism.

14. wendy forward says:

I love that thread! I thought I like it pretty cool but most of the people keep it cooler than I do. Now I’m scared since we live in Cali.

15. CrewDog says:

Ya Know!!! … It’s TIME for Revolution II …!!
    In the Humid South, if you set your thermostat to 82 you will have instant Mildew … everywhere!
    Since the mid 60’s, Homes have been built with AC in mind ….. 8′ ceilings, no ceiling fans, no louvered doors on closets/bathrooms and no double hung windows for air-flow & ………
    Time to String-Up all the Liberal Know-It-All!!!!!

GOD SAVE THE REPUBLIC!!!

16. aarmad says:

These are the same people that want you to cut back on carbon emissions while they travel in a cloud of carbon that out carbons anything on earth! In other words you suffer and they will not follow the rules they are promoting. ie algore…….

17. Maquis says:

66 degrees day and night, plus other survival measures.
    This “suggestion” is a hanging offense.

We mocked France in 2003 for letting 15,000 of their elderly citizens expire in a canicule, a summer heatwave, as their families frolicked on their month long vacations, and now we are gonna MANDATE the same here? I literally would not survive these idiotic “suggestions.”

18. 702Tim says:

They know as much about thermostats as they do about my needs for home defense.
    I’m set at a comfortable, and affordable, 79 during the Las Vegas summer.

• fractionalexponent says:

Yup, northwest LV here…Honeywell thermostat set to 78, but the AC delivers 74…sweet…

• seekingthetruth2 says:

Here at the end of Rainbow, we set 75 at night. Daytime, 76-78 depending on whether we are working or outside in pool. We have 38 solar panels and a Pulte Energy Star rated 11 year old house. Very efficient. Nine months of the year, my electric bill in $16.20 and June, July & August is a total of approximately $175. When we travel, we set it at 82 for both zones. Solar works in Las Vegas.

19. Mist'ears Mom says:

“set your thermostat to 82 when you are NOT sleeping”
    There I fixed it for them – morons, who the heck thinks this stuff up? I mean seriously.
    Who do they think they are telling us how to live in our own houses…oh wait-I forgot who thinks they are in charge.

20. covfefe999 says:

So that’s just AC. Do they have recommendations for the winter? I’ll bet the winter recommendations are nowhere near as unpleasant as the summer ones. In the winter I sleep in 60 degrees or less. I just put another down comforter on the bed, and socks, if I get too cold. 🙂

21. Jase says:

82! That is about 28 Celsius. Whatever clown thought that up needs their head examined. The firm that installed our aircon recommended a permanent setting of 18C for maximum efficiency/cost effectiveness.
    Methinks this is just a prelude designed to soften the blow when Dem states legislate an aircon ban.

22. It’s also a recipe for excessive humidity which can be unhealthy, especially for older persons. The current technology and energy conservation codes call for higher temperatures in facilities and domiciles during *unoccupied* periods, not when people are present and giving off latent heat. And newer HVAC equipment is designed to run longer and with less “tonnage” so as to properly dehumidify the supply air in cooling.

This literally makes no sense; economically nor conservationally.

23. cthulhu says:

We actually use our thermostat as an alarm clock. Drops down to 68 to sleep, boosts up to 72 right before it’s time to wake. By the time the beeper goes off, we’re already half awake.

Can’t imagine trying to sleep at 82.

24. Bill says:

What does PETA have to say about this? Should we just starve our animals while we are at it? These imbeciles are beyond salvageable.

25. nimrodman says:

I’m exothermic – I give off heat
    … a lot
    Due to large muscle mass on a short but sturdy frame.

If I don’t set hotel thermostats to 72 degrees or lower, I’ll sweat all night

Don’t know what my setting is at home, it’s a centralized high-rise chill-water system with individual radiator and blower in each apartment.

I just rotate the big dial until it clicks and then another half-inch or so. But same thing – if it’s not cool enough I’ll sweat in my bed all night.

When it comes to my AC, it’s Molon Labe
    Come and take it !

26. AustinPrisoner says:

These are very female-centric temperature recommendations. Your typical male and female office workers fight over the temperature. even in summer, women like to wear those sweaters that cover their hands as they cradle mugs of steaming hot beverages.

• Ha! Women will show up in the dead of winter in a print dress and squall about being cold.

made sure the system worked and told whoever was In charge you are on your own as to the correct t-stat setting.

Don’t get me started….

27. riverelf says:

I never believed in lizard people before, but this is clear proof that the EPA is staffed with them.

28. Scott says:

Meh.

Just a “recommendation.” Not a law. (Yet)

Probably an obamaite trying to stir crap up.

29. I was in commercial HVAC.

During carter’s era of depression we were told to set winter temps to 65.
    Guess what big buildings are self heating! So we had to run the chillers hard much of WINTER to COOL the building DOWN to mandated temps. Boy did that save a lot of energy! /s
    And at marginal load conditions the chillers ran at or slightly above idle.
    Wanna guess what happens to energy consumption under those conditions?

And summer was mandated 78.

Floors buckled, paint and wall coverings peeled, printers jammed, carpets molded, people went home sick and retired on medical.

The most destructive thing on earth is a hubristic do gooder with power.

30. JS says:

Reminds me of when Michelle Obama, who had in all likelihood never voluntarily set foot in the woods or slept in a tent, recommended that us campers replace the chocolate and marshmallows in our smores with strawberries and yogurt.

31. CNN_sucks says:

This reminds me of Al Gore running his gas guzzling SUV on while a masseuse attending his delicate part…s/

32. All Too Much says:

Another reason not to have the Nest, or any other wireless system, connected to anything in your house, including the HVAC system.

33. cbjoasurf says:

I gonna go out and buy a couple of NON-COMMIEPLIANT thermostats as spares to repair my AC after the TOTALITARIAN FEDERAL GOVERNMENT mandates compliance to the new standards. Already given up on broadband here in rural America so they wont be able to monitor my INTERNET of ALL THINGS appliances.

34. For Eyes says:

The biggest issue is that we are paying people in government who think it is their job to meddle in our lives.

None of their “darned” business

35. KnowSERENoFear says:

Excellent info. I’ve reset my thermostat to 65 in the summer and 82 in the winter…24/7!

36. If you have the time you should read the comments from the beginning. Highly entertaining.

If these temp “guidelines” somehow manage to become mandatory I forsee a black market for manual a/c controls.

• cthulhu says:

I’ve wired-in a new thermostat, and it is not that complicated. If you wanted to have fun with it, you could use a Raspberry Pi to run all the controls, with a SenseHat to get you temp, barometric pressure, and humidity (it also has an accelerometer in case you live in California, but you’ll have to write some code to get it into Richter).

You could then slap serious encryption on your temperature settings.

• Risa says:

Or we could just revolt.
      Could it be this is secretly why they want to confiscate our guns? To prevent thermostat riots?

There are no energy shortages in the U.S., so why are they trying to micromanage this?

• jebg46 says:

In fact all this fuel conserving was before we became Energy Independent under President Donald J. Trump. We can now dump the EPA. Besides they must not have any menopausal women on their panels.

37. Bob, Esq. says:

“Setting the thermostat at 82° at night is well recognized grounds for divorce. ”

I literally laughed out loud.

38. JaimeInTexas says:

I can handle it. My wife? No way. She has personal summers. It can be 72F and she feels like she is burning up. No menopausal women working at DOE? I can barely survive a menopausal wife with a thermostat set at 74F.
    On a serious note. Here in Houston, you have to keep the house cool to keep humidity low and prevent MOLD!
    DOE must be full of morons.

39. rcogburn says:

I’d like to know how much it cost to generate this crock of ****. How many full time EPA bureaucrats were needed and how many working hours they put in; how many outside “experts” from academia and NGO they contracted; and how much research was bought and paid for.

What a pigs-at-the-trough gravy train this is for these people.

40. JefP says:

The Government Loons are getting prepared for Hell and think the rest of us need to be prepared as well o.0 or, someone got a Job like Kamelface Harris by blowing the boss and is setting new standards to fit their upcoming trip to Hell…. Either way.
    MAGA KAG Trump2020!!!

41. mot2grls says:

My A/C which is a swamp cooler in NM has not been turned off since the beginning of July. I wake up and the thermostat reads 61 degrees. 82 sounds like a living hell.
    What happened to doctor recommendations to sleep in a dark, cool room?
    I can remember during the 70’s the government wanted us to keep our thermostats at 68 degrees in the winter. I feel decadent when I turn mine up to 71 degrees. Geez. Don’t tread on me indeed!

• covfefe999 says:

The temperature Nazis who recommend 78 in the summer actually recommend 70 in the winter, which seems too hot to me. Notice how they aren’t nearly as brutal about the winter expectations. I’m guessing a bunch of heat-loving Southerners wrote the recommendations.

• cthulhu says:

One of the saddest parts of this whole fiasco is that your air temp is only part of how warm your house is. If you start with AC early in the morning, when it’s 68 degrees outside and 68 degrees inside, it doesn’t take that much energy to combat the heat that seeps in through the walls or open doors — but if you let the place warm up, your walls, furnishings, countertops, and fixtures will take up the heat like a battery. When you get around to cooling, you can cool the air pretty quickly, but the walls, furniture, etc. will re-radiate their heat for hours.

• Maquis says:

Exactly! Your home is a large thermal mass and pretending one can simply tweak the thermostat so much during the course of a day is silly, and terribly inefficient as the system has to work extra hard to address that no matter how smart the overseers in DC think they are.

42. Stephen F. Paul says:

You buy these things number one for human comfort and also to help your home so humidity doesn’t destroy anything or cause mold.
    who the heck would listen to this crap. It’s very obvious that a nutcases have got themselves into positions of power and are readily abusing it by putting out information that supports their political agenda. these numbers 82 and 85 are pretty much the same as turning it off.
    They always have common sense or are looking for it when they want to rethink gun laws but for some reason common sense goes out the window when it comes to anything to do with “Climate” .
    You would have to be an idiot to believe what they are saying here. 72 if you like it on the cool side and 75/76 is very conservative.

43. Sherri Young says:

Just wait for Alexa to start “comfort shaming”.

44. Dances with Wolverines says:

Just like guns, when the government disarms every single illegally held weapon, then they can come for mine,and when every single government employee and office maintains these ridiculous energy standards, I might consider the same. Problem is, government people don’t follow these standards.

45. pocaMAGAjunta says:

Democrats 2020: Bringing third world hell hole standards to America.

46. Ladies if you have ever argued with a man that even tho he says the thermostat setting hasn’t change you feel hotter when you lay in bed …… you are absolutely correct!
    Same for colder in winter.

If anyone wants to know why ask and I’ll explain the physics of it. 😉

47. Eric says:

I see they’ve been talking to my father in law. Visiting now, he’s been keeping his house in the mid 80s during the summer for years. Don’t even have to use a blanket at night, I just need to make sure to drink a couple bottles of Gatorade before I go to sleep to stay hydrated.

48. woohoowee says:

Evidently none of the dopes dreaming up correct home temps for everyone ever had to put on a whole body, thick coat of heavy cream or Vaseline at night. I’d have to sleep in the shower with only cold water running.

49. Fred says:

This is just another distraction from the government. If the president gets wind of this, he will probably nip it in the bud. I can not believe that there is someone this stupid (well yes I can believe it) in the government, especially the EPA. The home of puddles being wetlands, or drainage ditches being navigable waterways.

• sedge2z says:

But our illegal aliens at the border are wrapped in foil and complain about how COLD the buildings are. They call their centers “freezers”…..in Spanish?

50. EBL says:

So the standard operating temperature of a US clinical laboratory is 20-25°C (68-77°F). Room temperature storage is typically 15-25C or (59-77F). Who is the brilliant person in the US government that came up with 82F as an appropriate sleeping temperature?

Did anyone explain to the nimrod that “climate change” and “CO2 output” is temperature driven by solar output on multi-year cycles (10-, 30- and 100+ year cycles). Man-made CO2 is well within the margin of variable CO2 produced by nature annually. In other words, you can’t measure man’s impact on total CO2. But at least someone made Al Gore a billionaire so he can warn the world of impending doom in his private jet.

You might also want to clue said nimrod in that the Pacific Ocean sea level is 2.5″ lower than a century ago. Sea level is definitely not rising, unless there is are waterfalls between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.