President Trump delivers remarks during the First Step Act Bill Signing.  The president talks about border security, the border wall and the likelihood of a government shutdown.

The FIRST STEP Act was championed by Jared Kushner, and passed through Congress with bipartisan support. President Trump saluted his allies in the White House and in Congress who fought for the bill, and added a personal thanks to the Senate and House Minority Leaders. “I want to thank Nancy and Chuck, as I say affectionately. I do. I want to thank everybody.”

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Dept Of Justice, Donald Trump, FBI, Legislation, media bias, President Trump, Racism, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

112 Responses to President Trump Signs ‘First Step Act’ and Delivers Media Remarks About Shutdown…

1. fleporeblog says:

I know there are many Treepers on both sides of the aisle on this bill but in my opinion, it is beyond devastating for the Democrats, MSM, Leftists etc. that call our President a racist. This completely kills that talking point and will allow even more members of the Black community to open their eyes to the reality that PDJT has done more for them than his POS predecessor ever did.

2. DT2020 says:

He was for this bill from the beginning and he made it happen. That said, the bill passed so overwhelmingly to not sign would have been suicide as the votes were present to over ride any veto. In short, to argue against this bill is pure folly.

• fleporeblog says:

If it wasn’t for our President, Mitch would never have allowed this bill to see daylight. They weren’t passing it if our President didn’t support it. The numbers on the Senate side have been there for decades for a bil like this. The difference was they didn’t have a President to push it and most importantly opposition from his own party.

3. RedWave 2020 says:

This bill is great but it should have been bundled with the wall to use when campaigning against Democrats then we could say they voted against prison reform. This would hurt them with the African American vote.

4. Martin says:

And the MSM? Crickets…

• mark says:

I wouldn’t expect the MSM to give POTUS any credit. Positive news and accomplisments must go buried and unreported.

• MSM? Who is that? They still relevant?

If after nearly two years the only “liberals” that are seeing the light are those who made up the “just walk away” movement, then we shouldn’t expect liberals to change much. Their hatred of NOT BEING able to control people will never make them see truth, justice or honesty. It’s that simple. Why even bother with the MSM?

5. Redheart says:

The Winners, convicted criminals, the losers, law-abiding Citizens. I thought we would be “forgotten no more”? Keep your doors locked.

• ristvan says:

I disagree. Harsh first sentances, especially for drug crimes, fall disproportionately on inner city minorities. The First Step Act plus the Opportunity Zones Act get at root causes in a joint effort to rehabilitate those areas. Get the imprisoned fathers back sooner with their (often illigitimate) kids. Help get them real jobs. Reduce recidivism; (and then really throw the book at recidivists). Revitalize those same neighborhoods with private investment (which directionally means not wasted. Simple stuff like healthy food grocery stores, daycare centers, simple services businesses.

What you see is PDJT the masterful businessman applying his hard won knowledge to nonbusiness social problems that have economic root causes.

• G. Combs says:

Ristvan,
        Also, President Trump having lived in NYC and being friends with Rudy and NYC law enforcement saw this stuff first hand.

I would not be at all surprise if the roots of this bill goo all the way back to discussions president Trump had with Rudy and others including his blue collar workers.

• woohoowee says:

I think you can add bringing the illicit drug trade to a screeching halt as part of PT45’s plan for the inner cities, along with an end to the additional issues created by the presence of illegals in already depressed communities. PT45 is going to see a barrier on our border to assist in this endeavor, one way or another.

6. ristvan says:

This bill does several significant things, arguably long overdue. Was IMO foretold when PDJT granted clemency to the drug dealing Grandmother at Kim Kardashian’s request.
    Point is, past presidents talked about this reform but did NOT get it done.
    By rights, this should have been part of Obama’s legacy. It is PDJT’s instead. That has to hurt.

• flova says:

That sweet little grandmother ran a drug racket that destroyed a lot of lives.

• ristvan says:

True. But nobody forced users to take these drugs. The old Prohibition conundrum.
        Me, at my harshest (Swiss inspired) says legalize (destroys Mexican cartel profit motive), offer medical help when asked (destroys bleeding heart arguments), and then ban the rescue drug Norcan so Darwin sorts the problem permanently out. Done.

BTW, this very harsh view is for opiods and opiates, NOT marijuana. Growing informal medical evidence from ‘legal’ grow states with separation facilities for vape psychoactive THC versus psychoactively inert cannaidiols (and related compounds) show the medicinal benefits,of medical marijuana do NOT come from THC, but rather from the inert cannabidiols.
        That is a big medical/regulatory deal, as previously commented here but not this thread.

• ezpz2 says:

Seriously? You want to ban Narcan, the life saving antidote to opioid overdose?? I don’t understand how you reconcile your desire to ban Narcan with your support for this bill.

• ristvan says:

Yup, and Easy. Darwin natural selection. Sorry, have zero empathy for druggies. They did it to themselves, for whatever ‘reasons’.
            Same perspective, slightly morally clearer: we should also not offer free liver transplants to cirrhotic alcoholics.
            Personal decisions should have personal consequences. Else society is lost in foregiveness ‘jello’.

• ezpz2 says:

I don’t know if you have children, nor am I asking, but if I were a betting woman, I would wager a lot that you’d be singing a very different tune if someone dear to you became addicted to narcotics.

Drug addiction, and the danger of overdose that goes along with it, does not discriminate. It’s an equal opportunity offender.

• Amy2 says:

I don’t even have the fortitude to loose ten pounds. I can’t imagine what it would be like to try and give up a drug I’ve come to depend on and actually want. That said, they need to be given the opportunity. I see the same in homeless people. Some of them are mentally ill, some in a tough spot, and others want to live that way. If they want help, it’s there. If they choose a different route, that is on them, and if they hurt someone else while feeding their addiction, then they must suffer the consequences.

• ezpz2 says:

I agree with you, especially about the homeless. You’re right, many of them are homeless due to mental illness rather than poverty.

I know this from someone near and dear to me. It’s very painful to watch and very frustrating knowing that though you have the best intentions for them, you would do anything to help; yet you’re basically powerless.

This person was okay on meds, but always went off them and the pattern began anew.

All that said, I’m not sure yet if this new law will help the people that really need it.

Time will tell.

I don’t have a great feeling about this bill for reasons I’ve already mentioned in other comments, but I will try to keep an open mind.

• TigerBear says:

Many believe the users of drugs should die….not the sellers and/or trafficers! There is no compassion as they took the drugs. Not my view, but many I know have the same view and have stated it. Don’t blame the source they’re just trying to make a living. 😳🙄

• ezpz2 says:

I’ve seen people- GOOD people fall prey to drug addiction. Often, it starts out innocently and legitimately for pain relief, with doctors being the original *suppliers*.

For some people, it becomes a problem for which they need help, and deserve compassion, not our scorn, blame or judgement.

I’m with you about not blaming the victim. I just don’t see how this new law will help them. Instead, it looks like the suppliers will reap the benefits, especially if they took a plea deal, which makes their original egregious crimes look like minor misdemeanors.

• TigerBear says:

You’re right!

In today’s world we hold the criminal up as the victim and continually beat the victims. If any of these oh so compassionate and merciful folks 🙄 ever held their child in their arms and watched them die from drugs tainted/overdosed they’d be singing a whole other tune. But then they either have perfect children who obey their every word or no children at all.

People are turning cold and hateful and the attitude is….your child was stupid enough to take drugs so it should be dead….is the message I’m hearing/getting. And those who gave/sold it hold no responsibility. It is one messed up world we live in.

Right is wrong and Wrong is right

God help us!!

7. CornPicker says:

The First step act is very important and I applaud him for this it puts the human element into a machine,

Remember that lady who Trump freed after the mandatory minimum machine locked her away forever ,I wasn’t there because I was crying in the bathroom taking a powder after seeing her on TV free and full of thanks , it was simply powerful and moving . Some people just fall through the cracks and need a hand up .

• Sentient says:

Q: “what is she most looking forward to doing now that she’s out?”
      A: “Cocaine. She really wants to do some cocaine.”

Ok, that wasn’t the real answer. It just would have been funny.

8. treehouseron says:

People should be held accountable for their crimes… when the crimes are non-violent, a bill like this does a good job of helping all sides of the crime problem. 1st it’s going to help the criminal (after they pay their sentence) by training them and helping them not fall back into the same crime again. 2nd, it’s going to help the rest of us because if we can keep them out of jail and keep them from committing more crimes, it’s going to save us money and hopefully add 1 more successful brother or sister to the American economy.

Sure there’s going to be lots of people that it doesn’t do anything for, but things will continuously get worse if we don’t figure out a way to break the revolving door in and out of jail or prison.

Another aspect is if you stop people from recommitting non-violent crimes, they won’t escalate to committing violent crimes.

9. Piper77 says:

If blacks still vote 90% for the Democrat in 2020, there really is no hope for them.

10. MakeAmericaGreat says:

Official WH video of the event just went up

11. That was a beautiful ceremony.
    Mandatory sentencing was a complete disaster.

12. Rose says:

I remember reading an article where 3 black youth were sentenced to 15 years in jail as minors, apparently they were stealing a car and the owner came out and yelled something one had a gun and shot and killed the owner the boys didn’t know that boy had a gun or that he shot someone. Fast forward all went to prison for 15 years, the shooter got forty years. I think this is an example of an over zealous legal system. The kids were thugs but they didn’t shoot the owner nor did they know one of them had a illegal gun.

• starfcker says:

Rose, you’re making a pretty good argument FOR mandatory sentencing. Imagine if you were a judge. We’d be swimming in criminals.

• Warrior says:

The worst thing in the world for law abiding citizens are the do-gooders. Nothing will hurt more than unintended consequences by well meaning but clueless do gooders. Watch aNd see.

• California Joe says:

Felony murder rule is from English Common Law and has been on the books for centuries. If anyone dies during the commission of a felony all of the participants are guilty of the murder. It’s the only way to deal with criminals!

13. relieveddeplorable says:

As an avid treeper, I don’t want to spread rumor or inuendo, but I JUST heard RBG died. Can anyone confirm? (I know about the node removed)

14. L4grasshopper says:

Senate just passed, with Pence breaking a 47-47 tie, a procedural motion to allow the House passed legislation to come to a vote. I could not find a source that specifically called this a “cloture” vote.

But it does appear now that the House CR will be voted on by the Senate tonite. If the Senate changes one comma in the House bill, it would have to go back to the House…and I think they have mostly all gone home.

So either the Senate passes the House bill with the $5.7B Wall funding, or it doesn’t and we go to the partial shutdown….almost surely until next year when the Dems run the House.

15. Publius2016 says:

funny reddit: “Well great, they voted to bring the bill to a vote. I swear these guys would make getting a cup of coffee complicated.”

16. alliwantissometruth says:

Reclaiming our country has to be done the hard way. By that I mean we have to reclaim it inch by inch. We do that with the long, hard slog of opening peoples eyes, one by one

In two years our President has accomplished some pretty amazing things, but those things take time to truly sink in, and with the MS Mind Control Media and the UniParty hiding and obstructing Trumps accomplishments every step of the way, it takes even longer for reality to sink in for many Americans

The way I see it, Trump has two more years to work his magic on improving the economic landscape for Americans. If he can continue on that path, it’ll finally become obvious, even to the perpetually dumb and ignorant, that Trump is for all Americans and his leadership is truly bringing back the American dream

If the MAGA agenda begins to open the eyes of enough independents and free thinking democrats, we just may have enough votes to overcome the rampant voting fraud that keeps the UniParty in power

It’s now obvious that the system is so far rigged, that we have not a government, but a crime syndicate with the power of a government, in place, that our only recourse is to wake up enough Americans and get them on our side in order to remove the scourge and change the power structure

The law, the judicial system and our “representatives” not only will never correct the problem, they’re part of the problem

It’s a tall order to fill, but maybe, with the help of more exposure of the outrageous corruption and criminality, coupled with the in your face reality of upward mobility of the MAGA agenda these coming two years, Americans can finally reclaim what is theirs

• G. Combs says:

What bothers me are the libertarians whose point of views is as Hubby related: ‘A pox on both their houses’ and then refuse to vote. (We tried this last election)

They SEE the problem but absolutely refuse to actually DO SOMETHING.

As far as I am concerned if you refuse to vote then you shouldn’t complain when the Commies slap the slave chains on your wrists and ankles.

17. teeheeman says:

I started watching this video and couldn’t stop watching….what an absolutely wonderful Christmas present. It can happen….I hope and pray more people give this President a chance…….

• RJones says:

I agree. Watching that thing made me remember what a great country we are. It’s such a terrible disgrace, a shame, what the progressives and all their enablers have done to rip apart our social fabric apart in their endless lust for power. It’s sure nice to see people working together in good will to do something to help others.

I would add as an aside that my opinion of Van Jones has just gone up by 100%. When a man like him can work with his opponent to do something good like this, he deserves all our respect and admiration. It’s laughable to think of Pelosi or Schumer or most of the other clowns in Congress doing anything that might reflect well on Pres Trump. And that is precisely what reflects poorly on their characters.

18. Satchmo says:

At first I was opposed to a plan that looks like affirmative action for criminals but this evening on the way home I passed a convenience store that always has drug dealers in the parking lot that cater to the high school kids and all the dealers were wearing shirts that said “TRUMP IN 2020” so I guess there is a positive effect.
    I stand corrected.

19. Ruckus Tom says:

The one thing that’s worrisome about this bill is a lot of the crimes these folks are serving time for have been plead down from other crimes in order to get the best deal. Someone better be looking at the plea deals. “We’ll give you 8 years for selling crack, but we’ll drop the conspiracy to commit murder”.

• cthulhu says:

I generally share your concern regarding most amnesty programs — but this one is Federal only and criminal [prison], as opposed to civil [fines]. While there are far more Federal crimes today than there used to be in better days, the great majority of the people in Federal prison are there for drugs.

• cthulhu says:

To further clarify where I was going with this, your hypothetical, “We’ll give you 8 years for selling crack, but we’ll drop the conspiracy to commit murder” is unlikely to happen. Eight years for selling crack is a Federal criminal sentence handed out in Federal court (Why? Shouldn’t this be handled by the states?); while murder is a State criminal matter handled by State courts.

• ezpz2 says:

Ruckus Tom, I share your concerns. I didn’t see your comment when I posted a similar one.

20. woohoowee says:

I’m conflicted on this, but PT45 asks us for so little and he asked for our support on prison reform so I support it. Besides, most of these people are in prison for drugs and who makes sure the drugs keep flowing across our Southern border? The same government that is sending people to prison for drugs keeps the drugs flowing! And the same government attempted (attempting?) a coup! And run a form of jamming on their own people! And brainwashing, too! It’s infuriating!

21. wondering999 says:

Alcohol Prohibition didn’t work. Alcohol prohibition enriched mafiosi and bootleggers.

Drug Prohibition (and cigarette prohibition) works on the same principles. These laws corrupt law enforcement and government, and long term produce very bad effects.

The example of our President’s alcohol and drug abstinence is powerful. I’d like to see more of President Trump’s abstinence example from our leadership. What I hear from people who have spent time in Washington, DC is that the capital is rife with alcohol and alcoholics (also sketchy prescription drug abuse). Different laws for powerful people

22. Marc says:

I prefer ‘Lock Her Up’ and ‘Law and Order’ over ‘Set them Free’.

• D Daily says:

I agree completely, Marc. Unfortunately, we have an unelected 2-person shadow government related to PDJT that he can’t seem to say no to.

• smiley says:

and with priviledged permanence …and becoming even more prominent while others depart.

• Marc says:

That’s not entirely true. He shot down the Paris Accord in spite of Ivanka and Tillerson pushing for it. I think he is overly influenced by family that don’t really have any traditional conservative leanings. Instead of addressing the criminality, they address the adjudication which I believe is backwards.

On the really big stuff(taxes,tariffs, military) Trump sticks to his guns. It’s the side project stuff that he lets ‘Javanka’ get into.

• D Daily says:

I hope it stays that way. They seem to be front and center more and more. Why do we need any “non-conservative” voices arguing with our President. As if he doesn’t have enough forces working against him!