Head’s Up: TS Gordon – Coastal FL Panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana…

Tropical Storm Gordon is anticipated to move into the warm Gulf of Mexico this afternoon and then strengthen while taking a West-northwest path toward the Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana coast.  High probability will make landfall as a hurricane.

This storm will move fast while simultaneously strengthening. Residents in coastal west-FL Panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana would be well advised to be proactive, watch closely and begin initial hurricane preparation.

[Hurricane Advisory] At 200 PM EDT (1800 UTC), the center of Tropical Storm Gordon was located near latitude 25.8 North, longitude 81.9 West. Gordon is moving toward the west-northwest near 16 mph (26 km/h) and a west-northwestward to northwestward motion is expected over the next 72 hours. On the forecast track, the center of Gordon will move farther away from the southwestern coast of Florida this afternoon and move across the eastern Gulf of Mexico tonight and Tuesday.

The center of Gordon will approach the coast within the warning area along the central Gulf Coast by late Tuesday or Tuesday night, and move inland over the lower Mississippi Valley on Wednesday.

Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 50 mph (85 km/h) with higher gusts. Additional strengthening is forecast during the next 36 hours, and Gordon is expected to be near hurricane strength when it makes landfall along the central Gulf Coast.

Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 45 miles (75 km) from the center. [Link to NOAA Hurricane Center]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

102 Responses to Head’s Up: TS Gordon – Coastal FL Panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana…

1. sgtrok13 says:

I believe that if we weren’t over saturated with the disgusting liberal Mcstain funeral lovefest people would have been better advised of this potentially fatal Hurricane.

2. Woody says:

Looking forward to how the LSM paints this ; weather and response is Drumpf’s fault

3. Curry Worsham says:

Watch out New Orleans.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

I would like one [normal] day of the money that city spends in electricity to pump water added to my checking account.

• V.I.G. says:

Im in the NOLA Metro and I spent the day, buttoning down the hatches. At this point, it looks like some heavy rain and some wind.
      However, when they come across the tip of Florida, like Gordon has, they slow down to suck up that warm Gulf moisture. Thusly, they become CAT’s very quickly.

4. missilemom says:

My Mom in Lockport, Louisiana is in bullseye. Prayers please.

5. Carrie2 says:

Does it not seem strange that the East Coast and these southern states are constantly being bombarded by horrible weather? Hmmm. Not climate change for sure.

6. smiley says:

getting absolutely clobbered with RAIN right now in SWFL.

serious rainfall.

35 mph gusts.

7. Publius2016 says:

one reason to cancel golf…

8. zooamerica says:

As of this moment, Gordon is a “Tropical Storm” with up to 50 mph winds.

“Gordon is expected to be near hurricane strength when it makes landfall…”

Sounds like Gordon is going to be a Category 1 hurricane with winds up to 95 mph at worse.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“Sounds like Gordon is going to be…, ”

Hurricanes can intensify quickly over the warm Gulf water, surprising forecasters
      and computer models. Better to be safe than sorry (or dead).

9. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Anticipated landfall roughly the same place as Camille in 1969. If I recall correctly, the land is very flat in that area, so storm surges can travel very far inland.

10. Cathy M. says:

Thanks SD. I live in the targeted area.
    I was scheduled to make a long trip/drive out of state during that time & hadn’t re-checked the weather today.
    At least you saved me an hour trip to board my birds that I was about to do today.

11. Howie says:

Prolly the FL panhandle as a TS.

12. starfcker says:

There’s a little spinning center of circulation, or eye if you will, I’ve been watching on the radar for the last couple hours right off of Naples. Yeah this thing could turn into something quick in the Gulf. It’s rotating already

• starfcker says:

These things get in the Gulf where it’s nice and warm, there’s no way for them to get out without hitting something. Let’s just hope conditions aren’t good for this thing to intensify. Little tiny Charlie ramped-up in a couple hours before smashing Punta Gorda. We took Katrina as a cat one right off the beach in 2005. By the time I got to look at it on a working radar picture again, it was in the Gulf and it was a monster.

• Kent says:

TS Humberto 2007 spun up from 40 mph to 90-95 in a matter of hours along with about a 70 degree course change just before landfall….that was a weird one….damage would have been much worse but Rita had already highlighted ‘the weak points’ here in my area…

• smiley says:

things are real nasty right now here in Naples….just got worse in the last half hour.

13. Katie says:

I don’t understand how people are going to keep a supply of prescriptions in a first-aid kit because where I live, the insurance co’s lean on the doctors to not write more than a 30 day supply so you have to pay a copay 12 times a year for each medication and they won’t refill until you’re within a day or two of running out.

14. L. Gee says:

Ya’ll stay safe, and let us know if we can help in any way!

15. smiley says:

Season’s Greetings to all of us in the eastern Gulf regions…haven’t played this since last year, this time…

official smiley H-season song

enjoy

😀

16. Clarioncaller says:

The Deep State is going to fire their ‘weather modification technicians’ for bypassing Mar-A-Lago.

17. zooamerica says:

I don’t think this is the reason why President Trump cancelled his golf outing today.

He would have Tweeted something about “Gordon” by now, but that’s not the case.

Something’s up!

Did you see that beautiful red shirt the president was wearing?

That was President Trump’s “Tiger” shirt, and I’ve never seen him wear that.

Pictures of President Trump wearing his “Tiger” shirt can be seen over at the Gateway Pundit.

The Real Reason Tiger Woods Wears Red Shirts in Final Rounds….

“TIGER!”

I Love You President Trump!

18. goddessoftheclassroom (@goddesofthecl1) says:

Prayers for all. Please get the word out to friends and family to be prepared,

19. bitterlyclinging says:

Those Gulf of Mexico hurricanes do some funny stuff. Hurricane Camille and Mary Ann Gerlach….
    So be wary out there

20. Been through a lifetime of these storms. Believe me, they are no picnic. Cat 1, not so bad as long as it doesn’t spin up a tornado. Cat 2 on up, all bets are off. Your house and your trees will sustain damage.

• Rhoda R says:

People can sneer at those spin up tornadoes but they are not to be sneezed at – the only death our state got during Opal was caused by a spin-up. I had a couple of pine trees get caught up in a spin up during a later hurricane and they landed withing three inches of my house. I’m high enough and far enough inland that I don’t have to worry about storm surge but those ‘little’ tornadoes are a real threat. 5:22 my time – thunder and rain are now starting.

• Yep, raining outside. Been raining for days. The ground is soaked and that’s not a good thing. Went to parish barn for sandbags, but it was raining, mud everywhere, and you had to bag your own. Not a small feat for a 66 year old. We’ll probably be OK without any. Good luck!

21. scrap1ron says:

My sister and a niece rode out the one that hit Naples FL last year. No electricity for 10 days in that heat is no picnic. Get out of the way if you can. Prepare properly if you decide to ride it out. Stay safe, things can be replaced, lives cannot. Prayers for all, indeed.

22. Comrade Mope says:

I just hope the Trump campaign doesn’t spend a dime in TV ads in 2020. The networks would have to lay-off some deadwood. (Richard Engel- hint-hint)

23. daughnworks247 says:

Okay Gulf Coasters, let’s work our plan. Swinging into action. Love to all.

24. WeeWeed says:

The Cajun Navy is getting ready – hopefully won’t be needed this year, but y’all stay prepared and aware of what’s going on. That’s your best defense. (Also, keep work boots or lace up/tie up shoes ready – flip flops and sandals don’t get it when walking through debris/water.)

25. hatterasgal says:

Praying for all of you in this storms path. Please check in when you are able, and let us know if you need anything. God bless!!!!

26. DonK31 says:

I live between Naples and Marco Island. I got maybe 3 inches of rain, nothing heavy. In the Midwest where I grew up it would be called April. I don’t have an anemometer but I would doubt that I had a gust higher than 30 MPH. I didn’t need to close the windows like I do during the typical summer thunderstorm to keep the rain from blowing in. In the past 2 hours, the neighbors yard where water usually stands has dried to the surface. The 6:00 PM radar showed that the low was not even closed, therefore calling this storm a tropical storm is stretching the definition. Still, it could develop more in the next 36 hours before it lands. Just saying that from here, it was no big deal.

27. JAS says:

It’s breaking up at the moment. The NE quadrant from which it feeds is over land and and the fact that is is a minimal storm works against it strengthening.

Might pick up again when it distances itself from the FL coast. But, it doesn’t have a lot of time because it is moving fast. My take is that it will be mainly a rain event.

28. paulwoll says:

Bigger problem is that path is right over the huge red tide (toxic algae bloom).

29. Landslide says:

Big rain here right now just north of San Antonio, Tx. We have been 100+ degrees with no rain for weeks (not much all year), so it is glorious!!!

30. MaineCoon says:

JIm Cantore is a meteorologist and a strom chaser. He hunkers down where the hurricane is landing and live streams when possible. His broadcasting last year was phenomenal.

Need to keep an eye on this core overnight via satellite at this point. Its key to stronger winds from #Gordon upon landfall tomorrow evening. Regardless read your local NWS hurricane statements for impact details. pic.twitter.com/vnXo0decrv— Jim Cantore (@JimCantore) September 4, 2018