Secretary Pompeo Recognizes 29th Anniversary of Tiananmen Square Massacre…

Oh boy… subtle like a brick through a window.  Lest there be any debate remaining about the U.S. position toward China in the ongoing Dragon/Panda diplomatic dance, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo just delivered a message.

Against the jousting backdrop of Chinese influence over North Korea; and remembering that U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross is –right now– in Beijing discussing the future of U.S. and Chinese trade relations; and understanding that even mentioning the 1989 Tiananmen uprising/massacre is forbidden in China….. well:

On the 29th anniversary of the violent suppression of peaceful demonstrations in and around Tiananmen Square on June 4, 1989, we remember the tragic loss of innocent lives.

As Liu Xiaobo wrote in his 2010 Nobel Peace Prize speech, delivered in absentia, “the ghosts of June 4th have not yet been laid to rest.”

We join others in the international community in urging the Chinese government to make a full public accounting of those killed, detained or missing; to release those who have been jailed for striving to keep the memory of Tiananmen Square alive; and to end the continued harassment of demonstration participants and their families.

The United States views the protection of human rights as a fundamental duty of all countries, and we urge the Chinese government to respect the universal rights and fundamental freedoms of all citizens.  (link)

Long time readers may note the importance of this anniversary; while technically the anniversary date is tomorrow, June 4th, I cannot help but see the State Department announcement today, while Secretary Ross is in Beijing, as a message directly targeted to the heart of Beijing.

Thank you Secretary Pompeo, and President Donald Trump

Never forget…

Never…

This entry was posted in China, Death Threats, Economy, media bias, N Korea, President Trump, Secretary of State, Secretary Pompeo, Trade Deal, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

127 Responses to Secretary Pompeo Recognizes 29th Anniversary of Tiananmen Square Massacre…

1. TimesUp says:

Somehow it feels like President Trump was not happy with China’s response in Wilber’s meeting on trade.

• The Demon Slick says:

I’m curious how this plays in N. Korea, we’re sort of promising not to mess around with their internal stuff at the denuke table.

• Dave G says:

Kim-Jong Un is a simple petty dictator…. We have to be considering flipping him to our side… throw in enough bennies and guarantees that he won’t go to jail… Set up a 10 to 15 year transition to some type of more representative government and make NK our allies.

• jmclever says:

this is especially true if NoKo is not a “fellow traveller” but is being bullied, oppressed or in other ways coerced by China.

• LetsPlay says:

Bull pucky! That is what his kind count on. And that is what past politicians have offered (while getting their cut at the same time!). No More! What he needs is a punch in the nose and a kick in the ass! There is a new sheriff in town. Deal with it.

• Sayit2016 says:

“Trump was not happy with China’s response in Wilber’s meeting on trade.”

This is typical Chinese negotiation tactics. They always start out with the, what is not going to happen or be accepted by the counter party offer. That is their stating place- always.

Wait until Monday or Tuesday….

Tomorrow is a new day…..maybe tomorrow Trump will be happy with China…

• TimesUp says:

Yes, that has been my experience doing business there. No such thing there as right or wrong, anything they could get away with was okay.

• Sayit2016 says:

Exactly…. and when you do sign a contract you better have someone there 24/7 to make SURE that contract is being enforced. They like “flexible ” contracts if they can get away with it…

Forget the “losing the face” it’s nonsense.. they lose the face, get slammed for it, and then get a new face.

Round and round we go …

• Turranos says:

So on Day 500 of the Trump presidency he pulls out the “Punch Em’ in the Face Maneuver” for the Chicoms.

2. MaineCoon says:

The time/date in China right now is June 4th. They are waking up to this announcement. Yikes.

8:42 AM
    Monday, June 4, 2018 (GMT+8)
    Time in China

• Everywhereguy says:

*That’s* gotta hurt.

• With the Fall of the Berlin Wall a wave of Freedom swept across Europe, Russia and Asia and was stopped at Tiananmen Square when Big Bush cut a deal with the Red Army. America would trade our capital and technology for their Iron Rice Bowl, if China would create the perfect police state. Big Bush created the “Chinese Miracle” the same way Prescott Bush created the Nazi Miracle, for the same reason, to stage another world war.

“Overthrowing the Kit & Kaboodle” at FauxScienceSlayer website

• snellvillebob says:

Only if their government allow them to see it.

• Jenny R. says:

It will rattle a few cages in their government.
      Not because they care about this anniversary, but because it will remind them that such a thing is still a threat.

• MTK says:

You really think the great ‘firewall’ of china is letting this report in.

Sure the truth is bound to get in, hush talk and rumors. But, chinese media making a big deal about how MSNBC or CNN is covering what the Administration said about June 4th, nor their best paid for pundantry talking about the smoke that only seems to be originating from their own arses.
      Not chance.

Is it pure politic, or simple statement of fact. Let the Chinese govt. react, it will sure tell us much.
      I mean how the hell can a Govt. jump up and down, calling it out of bounds in private, while at same time denying open discussion. And, as for MSM, just another moment to stress what is being communicated directly is what matters, not what the ‘chatting class’ projects about being able to align interests.

3. Patriot1783 says:

A well deserved recognition and such an important moment in time leading up to the birth of the Conservative Treehouse.
    Tankman, never forget.

4. “while technically the anniversary date is tomorrow, June 4th”

Sundance, while you’re amazing at analyzing things, how did you miss this LOL. China is 12 hours ahead, so it is technically June 4th over there.

5. RedBallExpress says:

What always gets me is that the guys that die in a war never know if their side wins.

• Dekester says:

Maybe they do…

• That statement is deep…………real real deep.

• Navy says:

Maybe one person knew… “the last casualty of the Civil War” AKA Abe Lincoln. Knew he won but also dreamed about his death which happened about 5 days after victory.

One other.

Russell Casse (died July 4, 1996) was a Vietnam War fighter pilot and crop duster from Imperial Valley, California who sacrificed himself to destroy an Alien City Destroyer threatening Area 51 during the War of 1996. … Russell served as a F-4 fighter pilot for the USN/USMC in the Vietnam War. Anyone remember him?

• litenmaus says:

How could one forget Russell Casse :0)…..Independence Day – Randy Quaid….

Quaid is crazier than my aunt Harriet, (and she’s in a loony bin) , but Quaid was a perfect casting choice for the role.

• The Devilbat says:

Those who accepted Christ in their lifetime can look down from heaven.

• LongingForTruth says:

This quote often comes to mind when it comes to war and death:
      From C.S. Lewis’ “Mere Christianity”, Bk. 3, Chapter 7, pg. 119:
      “I have often thought to myself how it would have been if, when I served in the First World War, I and some young German had killed each other simultaneously and found ourselves together a moment after death. I cannot imagine that either of us would have felt any resentment or even any embarrassment. I think we might have laughed over it.”

6. the phoenix says:

Let the light of truth shine!
    Awesome job, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo!

7. wheatietoo says:

Our man Pompeo just poked the Dragon with a sharp stick.
    Hah. I love it.

• the phoenix says:

wheatietoo,

You just reminded me of Bilbo Baggins poking the Dragon Smaug with Sting …
      … only, our man Pompeo is biglier! 🙂

• brh82 says:

You might guess that the Despicable Liberals, in their Tweeter responses to anything about Pompeo, only mention, crudely, his size.

• Peoria Jones says:

About as subtle as a ball peen hammer between the eyes. I love it when our fearless wolverines hammer & poke away! A lot of these young “men” today have never had role models with real testosterone.

• Sylvia Avery says:

Just reading the title of Sundance’s post made me gasp out loud. I sure got the message and I’m about as subtle as a ton of bricks. If I got it, I imagine those highly nuanced and layered meaning types in Beijing heard it 5 x 5.

And as an added benefit, pffffttt to all the libtards who always moan that we don’t bring up human rights!

• mireilleg says:

I woke up, read this headline and out of nowhere I let out a loud hooahh, which greatly surprised me. Yes my husband was in the army back then but I have never had this impulse before. Just loved it.

• jmclever says:

Right, Wheatie! And knowing Mr. Pompeo, he probably looked him in the eye unflinchingly while he did it!

• nbkilgore says:

Wheatietoo; he yanked the the dragon and pandas tail at same time, stepped back with his hands in his pockets and shrugs his shoulders when both of them looked in his direction.

8. Florida_Frank says:

Is part 3 of this documentary available?

9. The Devilbat says:

“Even mentioning the 1989 Tiananmen uprising/massacre is forbidden in China….” Sounds like the Tommy Robinson arrest in England. The kangaroo court judge put a gag order on the media. It was lifted a few days later as everyone was getting their news from the internet.

• Britain needs Merlin to awaken and save them. The Brits are under a terrible spell.

• wondering999 says:

Devilbat, last week I was in California, at Stanford among other places.

What did I see riding down Sandhill Road, but a handmade cardboard sign saying FREE TOMMY!

I pointed out the sign to my brother who got it… don’t know if anybody else in the van appreciated it as much as I did. It also occurred to me that the FREE TOMMY sign might be the work of a fellow Treeper, dunno; if anybody here knows anybody who put that sign up, please convey appreciation from this random Treeper

• Tazmo says:

Hey, I work at SLAC on Sand Hill Riad and now there are TWO #FREETOMMY signs on both sides of the E/B direction ……

After 25 yrs here, never thought I would see this!

• wondering999 says:

Thanks for the update Tazmo! And may I confess something? Locational envy

I *love* Stanford and Palo Alto… the shape and smell of the vegetation… the fountains… the covered sidewalks… the student family housing with perfect fencing around it to keep toddlers out of the parking lot…the friendly happy people..the coffee at CoupaCafe in Y2E2 that made my ears stand up but wasn’t bitter at all… My guess is that you’re very close to Paradise (except the locals probably would have thrown me out, had they known how Deplorable I am) (maybe there are more “closeted” Deplorables in the area)

I’m going out to night to make my own cardboard “Free Tommy” signs and put them up at on the busiest streets around here. I really can’t compete with Stanford but I can follow a good example

• JoAnn Leichliter says:

Only the promised return of King Arthur can save Britain now, and who would he find to join him? How unutterably sad. And how providential that the U.S. left British control long ago–when, ironically, the British government was far less dictatorial. Perhaps the Founders saw the handwriting on the wall…

10. xcontra says:

The guy in front of the tanks. Long may he reign!

11. Newt Love says:

I honor the brave people that died in the 1989 Tiananmen uprising/massacre for the cause of Freedom.

May their seeds of freedom grow and become mighty trees, inspiring more, and leading to FREEDOM for all Chinese people.

Great Father, hear my prayer.

• JoAnn Leichliter says:

Amen!

• piper567 says:

I hope and pray that some Chinese manage to somehow see this Pompeo message.
        Just thinking how much inspiration the Iranian demonstrators received from our President’s support of their actions.
        Wouldn’t it be truly wonderful if our great Lion could impact the direction of China?

• nbkilgore says:

Piper567: The message bounced from the US to the Philippines, from there it bounced to Hong Kong and Taiwan. Now it’s on all the Chinese dark web, pretty sure its bouncing around in China as we speak!

12. carterzest says:

My Father and Stepmother were the first foreigners to stand atop the Rostrum at Tiananmen Square, chosen at random while on a trip to China. They were on the front page of the National Paper, received a ceremonial adorned plate and pretty much, the entire red carpet experience. The rest of his trip, they were recognized EVERYWHERE they went. Have the newspaper article framed on the wall in my office.

This is an EPICLY HUGE ‘lil subtle utterance of focus directed at The Panda.

#SoMuchWinning
    #StillNotTired
    #Wolverines

13. To this day my heart jumps to my throat just thinking about that man who stood in front of the tanks.

• Teagan says:

Like many of you, I visited the Square a few years ago and managed to take a few minutes to stand alone and try to envision what it must have been like on that day. I watched the video once…cannot do it again if I want to sleep.
      Bravery comes in many forms, in many parts of the world…and hopefully never forgotten.

• TimesUp says:

I was struck by how huge the square is when I was there. Much bigger than most people think (sorta like everything in China…).

• MaineCoon says:

So I was. I’ve never seen any public area that mammoth. I was there in 1993. I knew people who’d been there the prior year who said Mao is displayed in a buiding on the border area of the square, but they didn’t wanted foreigners going there (Maybe just Americans, ca’t recall). Sure enough. I asked my guide to take methere. He lied (just like my friends said they would do) denying Mao was on display, but I insisted I knew and to take me. It was such an inconspicuous building, I don’t even remember it. There were 2 lines filing on both sides of the casket, which had a glass covering. Everyone silently filing by viewing Mao paying their respects.Thinking back it was surreal. The whole situation was.

14. jefcool64 says:

I can only type words of awe of the brilliant timing this administration puts in for big deal negotiations.

To wake up in China now…

15. sunnydaze says:

whoopsie!……!

Thankyou Sec. Pompeo!

16. Echo says:

The Chi Com response was a mass technical surveillance state.
    The Chinese elite lose face with their people each time the US can’t be made to kowtow to their narrative.
    It’s going to eventually get interesting….until the next Democrat President who will resume business as usual for the Chinese.

• Coldeadhands says:

“until the next Democrat President who will resume business as usual for the Chinese.”
      This is the metric that ChiComs are going to try to use. They see the resist movement and it only encourages them. Potus knows the time frame that he’s looking at. U can bank on it.

• TimesUp says:

It doesn’t feel like President Trump intends to exit the stage without driving revolutionary change here and abroad.

Sunlight is being shone everywhere, no?

• jmclever says:

That is why China is working the resistance through Trudeau, Freeland, the US MSM, and targeted tariffs for products manufactured in states where it looks like those tariffs could be used against MAGA agenda.

• Michael says:

My cynicism agrees with your cynicism but I hope we are both wrong.

17. Bud Klatsch says:

This should be shown every anniversary of the tragedy of Tiananmen Square. The ChiComs suck.

18. Minnie says:

God bless and protect President Trump, Secretary Pompeo and the entire Administration as they embark on the quest for peace.

With President Trump at the helm, I grow increasingly confident each day that we are in great hands.

God Bless America 🙏🇺🇸🙏

19. pgroup says:

This happened almost three decades ago. I don’t think it would be hard for the Chinese honchos to spin it as a shameful excess of unenlightened rulers. Add to that the promise that this present govt would never repeat that action.

Voila – regret, face saving, and positive PR all rolled into one. Are they bold enough to jump?

• jrapdx says:

I guess they don’t want to give their people any ideas, so they keep it out of sight, hide the scars from a very badly handled situation. But I don’t know what their motivations really are about, except that it’s a real sore subject for them.

• Maquis says:

If they want to go that route, they can prove it by ensuring NK follows trump’s lead. Anything less is Panda Poop.

20. Cat Lady says:

Where’s the rest of the video?? It just stopped in the middle after 10 minutes.. on the evening of June 3!!

• lisabrqwc says:

I think it’s a Frontline documentary that you could probably find on PBS. Personally, I’m glad the video SD posted stopped when it did. I want to be able to sleep tonight.

• Cat Lady says:

Thanks!! Found it, and watched enough to satisfy my blurry memory.. Someone pushed Tank Man out of the way of the tank.. BUT, God Only Knows what happened to him after that. God bless him!!

21. A2 says:

Thank you and bless you Sec Pompeo and Pres Trump. Today it is 4 June in China, so the Sec’s comments are on the anniversary of the MASSACRE in Tiananmen. Thank you also for quoting Liu Xiaobo who was killed by withholding medical treatment and his wife is still detained.

3 June is when tens of thousands of Beijing students and workers took to the streets at dawn to turn back more than 2,000 troops who were marching toward Tiananmen Square.

We know what happened next. We will not forget.

22. Agnes Goh in NZ says:

VSGDJT always gets even. 😀

23. AustinPrisoner says:

Pompeo has some gargantuan, principled balls. So refreshing to see this SOS in action.

I have a poster of this photo above my son’s toilet, so he can see a brave man every time he takes a leak. Tank Man is a hero to the free and oppressed worlds.

24. jessbarnesphd says:

Saw this today in the news from news agencies in Beijing and thought this was exactly what Trump is waiting for, a reason to unleash economic consequences on China after decades of robbing/stealing us blind. I had old Clint in my head snearing ‘Go ahead, make my day.”

25. No worries, Trump’s got this. MAGA!

26. This is beyond EPIC.

So Wilburine is working the Trade Deal in China.
    • No doubt the Chinese are playing Red Dragon hardball.
    • Then they wake up to this massive FACE-ASSAULT.

And what did the press jab at President Trump this week
    … during the press comments upon the departure of North Korea’s #2:
    • “Did you address North Korea’s human rights violations?”
    • “No.”

Instead SoS Pompeo NAILS Kim’s Chinese Puppeteers with their Human Rights Violations
    … for all the world to see.
    … while giving Kim breathing room – for now – for his cooperation.

But wait – there’s more:
    The Trump Team quotes China’s 2010 Peace Prize winner Liu Xiaobo, who China held in prison until his death on July 17, 2017.

• Is President Trump mounting a crescendo of Big Ugly Revelations on China that will parallel the Big Ugly Revelations on the Deep State?
      • The spying.
      • The Intellectual Property Thefts.
      • The Violations of International Waters.
      • The use of North Korean SLAVE LABOR …

27. Oren V says:

Allowing the Chinese to save face is up to us, and we are under no obligation. We hold the cards and they have the lesser hand. At some point, they need us to make it known to them. To date, we have been too kind. Does the Emperor worry about beggars saving face, or does he get on with his day.

28. Gil says:

I cannot help that whenever I am reminded of it I get emotional. Cannot forget. Ever.

29. Linda says:

I think the craven MSM is going to have the vapors all day tomorrow over this. Should be fun.

30. MaineCoon says:

This one act is a chink in the Chinese armor. The mask is torn off for the world to remember. I wonder what Xi is thinking about his friendship with POTUS? It seems like this would be a big blow

31. CountryDoc says:

The anniversary of the MASSACRE in Tiananmen. The WORLD must never forget. The US must never forget

The POWER of the communists was obtained by hijacking the labor movement.

Here in the US: Unions/Mafia/Democrats/the Chicago Way all united to dismantle the foundation of our core values: God, family, freedom, Constitution, Law, honesty in business dealings, free trade. They organized the laborers, disarmed the people, and when they revolted — they massacred them. The people in China want to be free. The people in Russia want to be free. The people in North Korea want to be free.

We are so dangerously close in this country. But we have a growing swell of patriots who are using our LAW, painstaking as it is, to bring to light and will hopefully prosecute, shame, expose, and neuter the movement to remove power from the people here.

In addition, our VSG PDJT is bringing the darkeness to light throughout the world. Bush did it to a degree. Reagan did it masterfully, resulting in the fall of the Berlin wall, creating a wave of freedom that resulted in Tiananmen square. But the people remember. They will be timid, but they are listening, longing, and there is hope that can be sparked. There are Muslims who long for freedom. There are blacks in this country who are waking up to the existence of the true source of their chains, hope dawning or being rekindled.

There is a God. He is Alive. And He Is Not Silent.

Pray, and align your Spirit, which He placed in you, with His Spirit. Let your hope, confidence, peace, and strength radiate to your family, friends. And let it be evident to those of darkness. They will not stand.

Even our VSG, I believe is aligning himself in humility, before our Creator, and the forces of darkeness are wilting before him.

32. Kent says:

WAY back in the day I was a much younger man loading a product which my employer manufactured for China into shipping containers….

Time magazine had recently published a special edition concerning the Tiananmen Square situation….

I read that edition numerous times and perused the photographs and debated in my mind several times over…”should I do it or not”…and one morning…

I made up my mind and placed that dogeared copy of that magazine on the floor of the container, right up in the very front, and set a 450# or so 55 gallon drum on top of it with the hope that a laborer unloading that shipping container might find it and covertly stuff it in his vest and take it home and it would make a positive difference…

somehow….someway

I have often wondered how that went…….

33. Susan Jacob says:

“The Crushing of Light”

The crushing of light
    is really an impossible thing
    Light travels too quickly for lies to catch it
    It emerges in places unexpected
    It fills hearts without notice
    It sets free the minds of captors and captives

– Susan Jacob
    (written in 1999, thinking of tenth anniversary of Tiannenman Square)

34. Pyrthroes says:

“Never forget”, indeed. As this country’s academic-media-pullulating PCBS officialdom attempts to drive armored stakes through Founders’ most basic principles, it pays to take Tienanmen as well as November 9, 1989 extremely personally.

We eagerly await a Department of Homeland Security (smarmy BS title) initiative to establish and promote local Citizens Militias in every U.S. township, equivalent to Emergency Medical teams plus Volunteer Fire Departments.

Inspired by retired veterans, not a glorified SWAT police force by any stretch, these weekend warriors’ charters should explicitly state commitment to sustaining non-official Civil Authority over any looming Big Gummint legal-schmegal subversion whatsoever, most particularly Rats’ relentless piecemeal sedition via totalitarian “anti-discrimination” speech codes, blanket surveillance via criminally abusive privacy violations, gutting citizens’ self-defense and ballot prerogatives preliminary to just such State oppression as Tienanmen exhibits.

Once people take up arms in self-defense, your Ayers-Brennan-Soros types had best beware. But if “good men do nothing”, Jefferson, Madison, and Lincoln will sink backward, blinking tears.

35. It’s always a good idea to remember the kind of people we’re dealing with in NoKo and China. They are some of the most ruthless and dictatorial SOBs imaginable. A leopard can’t change its spots.

There is only one man who has the brains and cojones to pull this off, to confront the evil doers on their own turf- our warrior President Donald J. Trump.