Viva Liberty !

United States President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump host French President Emmanuel Macron and Lady Brigitte Macron for dinner at George Washington’s historic home.   The symbolism of the selected venue is brilliant. Viva Liberty!

The relationship between America and France was critical at the foundation of our republic.  The history, symbolism and modern relationship reflected between non-politician Trump and non-politician Macron while holding a dinner at the home of our first President, George Washington, is really quite remarkable.

This entry was posted in Donald Trump, France, media bias, Melania Trump, President Trump, Uncategorized, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

251 Responses to Viva Liberty !

1. Sylvia Avery says:

So I did look up Mount Vernon. It was taken over in 1858 from the Washington family by the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association. They maintain and preserve it.

Also, at the link they have a section on Presidential Visits, and visits by French VIPs. Pretty cool. So, out of the modern Presidents would it surprise and amaze you to know that BO, Clinton, and Carter couldn’t not be bothered to visit Mount Vernon? You have to go back to LBJ to find a Dim visitor.

AND there is a restaurant right near by:

• Patriot1783 says:

Those are the three I guessed who didn’t take the time to honor and visit the first President of the United States Homestead.
      How could a sitting President not visit?
      Very telling of what make Obama, Clinton and Carter tick and it certainly wasn’t in gratitude of their position of being the President of the United States of America.

• Esperanza says:

I would love to visit Mount Vernon one day, it’s a magical place. I can’t believe Bubba didn’t. O doesn’t surprise me, his being a foreigner and all. 😉

• Somebody says:

The estate is lovely, but I like the museum best. They have diaries of George Washington displayed in a case and they turn the pages every day I believe. So you could visit today and then go back tomorrow or next week and see a different part of the diary.

If you visit though, might I suggest trying to avoid spring. They roll school groups through there all spring and trust me you don’t want to be there with bus loads of kids.

• Running Fast says:

Agreed the museum is awesome. It is one of the few remaining museums that has not gone liberal PC.

• All American Snowflake says:

In that case look for Washington’s pad to get toppled à la our Confederate statues. Can’t have history messing up the Progressive narrative now can we.

• Harleeryder says:

Recently went there with my son, who is stationed at nearby Fort Belvoir. It is truly an amazing place, has the bed Lafayette slept in and the one Washington died in. So much history, with over 40% of original furnishings collected.

• TreeClimber says:

Haven’t been since I was really young. We had relatives in Alexandria and their next door neighbor was in Reagan’s administration… he and Mother got along very well so we all got more-or-less guided tours of DC and environs. I’d like to go back now that I’m older and can understand and appreciate it a little better. I’d love to take my son!

• GrandeMe says:

I have visited four times. I was privileged to be able to do the extended tour which included the third floor and the cellars, but I think the third floor tour is only done in a few months during off season now in order to cut down on wear.
        SADLY we noticed a trend that increased every visit to focus more on the **SLAVE-OWNER** and the lives of the “enslaved peoples” on the farm aspect, and very much less on the remarkable, once in a million man George Washington was. Breaks my heart. The grounds are beautiful, and I feel a sense of wonder while there, but then I turn around to see (and hear) George Washington slave-shamed everywhere, and I get pretty pissed. Otherwise it shouldn’t be missed.

• Ozero had no interest in visiting our founding fathers! He was all about himself! No surprise there! Carter I’m surprised!

• Note the date. They didn’t do much preservation during The Civil War, but there is a piece of information in the interpretive center that discusses the estate during that period. It seems that it was occupied at various points by either side, but never attacked. Both sides respected the legacy of our most indispensable man too much. There’s some symbolism for you right there and it probably explains the absence of the odious press and democrats. Plus, as my wife who lived in Paris for 10 years will tell you, the French don’t really suffer children so well.

• CorwinAmber says:

I planned a surprise 50th birthday party for my wife (who is French BTW) at the restaurant there a few years back…invited some old friends and had a blast, so to speak. I contribute regularly to Mount Vernon and monitor their activities closely to see if there is any PC backsliding nonsense – so far, I have detected none…they play it straight down the middle…perhaps a bit more attention is being paid to the matter of slaves, but still well within proper historical boundaries. Also attended a re-enactment of Washington’s Masonic funeral on its 200th anniversary in 1999…very well done and moving, I think you can find it on Youtube. All in all, a splendid home for the Father of our country and a worthwhile experience for all Patriots. My wife’s brother is coming over from the Ancien Regime this fall with his family and Mount Vernon is the first place we intend to take them…the key to the Bastille is quite impressive, if I say so moi-meme. In my dotage, I prefer to remember the good things about France and not dwell on their short-comings. Bien sur, when in France and when in doubt what to say, “vive la France” always works wonders!

• Sylvia Avery says:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about MV. I’m really glad to hear that the MV Ladies Association hasn’t drifted to the hard left. I used to LOVE going to museums around the country and learning about the local and regional history. But American history as a field has been completely overtaken by leftist revisionists and I almost don’t even recognize American history anymore, and it has infected our museums of course.

So, really good news to hear MV is still MV. Incidentally, I saw this morning on Fox & Friends that after being elected, Sarkosy said first thing he wanted to do was visit Mount Vernon. How cool is that?

I had no idea that the French still had some interest in or feeling for the US, in particular our Revolution.

• spren says:

I live in NE CT and am literally a hundred yards off the trail that was used by Rochambeau as he marched his troops from Newport, RI, down to Yorktown to push Cornwallis into a stalemate effectively ending the Revolutionary War. There are several historical markers in place to detail the trip. We are located at the end of a relatively flat stretch of his march and his troops camped on our land before having to climb over a small mountain the next day with their artillery. There is an old house very nearby which was formerly called the White Horse Tavern. Rochambeau and Washington are reputed to have met their several times planning their mission. It is a truly wonderful place.

No wonder that our American troops back in the World Wars, upon liberating France and Paris, shouted “We have returned, Lafayette!” Despite what France has become in recent years, we could’ve never defeated the British without their great assistance.

• Sylvia Avery says:

” Despite what France has become in recent years, we could’ve never defeated the British without their great assistance.”

So true! And how wonderful that you live in such an historic area and appreciate what you have! Just lovely, thanks for sharing it.

• Somewhere in Dixie says:

If you haven’t been there, try to go. It is a wonderful place to visit and the food at the Mount Vernon Inn is truly Colonial America.

• Marsha Frey says:

This was the first new-site to honor the symbolism between the two countries. Trump honored the Marquis de Lafayette’s contribution during the Revolutionary war and Macron honored the U.S. Marines’ in WWl with the planting of the tree on the White House lawn. I wondered how many of the younger generation today even know the connections? How sad it hasn’t been taught in the schools since the 50s.

• Sylvia Avery says:

It is shocking and appalling to me whenever I encounter an example of how completely our educational system has been overrun with leftist thought police, and especially American history.

I minored in History and it is a subject I adore and find endlessly interesting, but what is taught now doesn’t even begin to resemble what I learned. A Treeper posted here within the last couple days that they had been looking at an AP American History textbook and they looked at the segment on the 1980s and there was a lot about crack cocaine and Just Say No but not so much about Peace Through Strength or other Reagan ideas.

Like you, I sadly conclude that probably no one under 50 or so has a clue about Lafayette and his role in the Revolution, or the close ties we developed with France at that time, or the role we played in WWI and WWII.

When I was a little girl, I had an ancient great Uncle who was stationed in France in WWI and he used to talk about France a little bit. Too bad I was too young to understand and appreciate it much.

• Marsha Frey says:

Good read! My love of history stems from my mother who taught both history and literature in college. Our home was filled with books on both subjects and my mother could talk for hours on any subject. I loved it! She taught around 1955 until she retired. I’m sure you are much the same kind of example to all fortunate enough to fall within your circle of influence. A teacher who knows how to teach is a gift. Not many around anymore.

• churchmouse says:

@Marsha: ‘How sad it hasn’t been taught in the schools since the 50s.’

I learned about Lafayette and the French contributions to the Revolutionary War in the early 1970s. It has stuck with me ever since.

• Cpriestess says:

My favorite thing at Mount Vernon was the key to the Bastille from the French Revolution. The Marquis de Lafayette crossed the Atlantic (a six week trip at the time) simply to bring the key to Washington as a token of France’s gratitude for inspiring their revolution.

• ByrdDeplorable says:

One of my favorite things, too. And, learning that soil from Mount Vernon was sent to France to be buried in Lafayette’s grave; so that, he is truly buried in American soil.

2. Publius2016 says:

One of America’s Treasures! Visit Mount Vernon and see how our First President lived.

• ablefox says:

The USA from the start has used France and its historical conflict with the Brits as a counter weight. Starting with G. Washington.

• Esperanza says:

I’ve said this many times, I don’t think it’s chance that makes the US Constitution and the French Republic the most hounded attacked systems. They are both children of the Lumières. Reason, light, freedom from oppression and equality are values that very few cultures have for real. And I mean real equality, not the some pigs are more equal than others variety.

3. Obs says:

“The relationship between America and France was critical at the foundation of our republic”

The very distant past.
    France destroyed itself with muslim immigration.
    The French people did not get a to vote on that. Their elites are consumed with so much self loathing.
    And now they are finished…..the muslim cultural demographic rules French politics in less than 30 years.
    They voted for it, they got it.
    Bon appetite.

4. Patriot1783 says:

Love the tiny golden eagle name card holder at 12:00 above each of the china place setting.

5. ablefox says:

Is the crooked media preparing to dive and rig for silent running? Spidey sense going off.

6. Dora says:

• Bob Thoms says:

Here is the formal dining room. Can you imagine the President and FLOTUS dining here with Pres. Macron and his wife…….candle light, fine china, great food, nice conversation, maybe a fire roaring????

• Good_heavens_are_you_still_trying_to_win says:

More than likely they ate at the interpretive center at the entrance to the estate.

• Bob Thoms says:

I think they dined in the original home….from pool reporting=
        “..they entered the pale yellow building (Mt. Vernon) for dinner of Dover sole, pasta stuffed with lemon ricotta, and chocolate souffle and cherry vanilla ice cream.”

• Bob Thoms says:

Note he says “in” Mt. Vernon home.

• Good_heavens_are_you_still_trying_to_win says:

That’s pretty cool, if that is the case. Do you know how many in attendance? It is not the largest place in the world, especially if you are going to stuff a few 10-rounds tables. However, you could hold a truck rally on the veranda and back lawn (facing the Potomac).

• Good_heavens_are_you_still_trying_to_win says:

The pictures above of the settings are in the State Dining Room in the White House. Perhaps that was lunch?

See here, it matches the portrait of Lincoln above the fireplace:

• Good_heavens_are_you_still_trying_to_win says:

I think I figured it out. The “State Dinner” is indeed today. The two couples simply dined at Mount Vernon last evening. I was conflating the two. Sorry to all the rest of you less-confused treepers on your various branches.

• churchmouse says:

Based on the following, probably a. Both presidents are sitting near a side window. Also notice the row of chairs:

7. wodiej says:

Melania saved thousands by doing the work herself. I’m not big on fancy parties but it looks great,

• 1stgoblyn says:

Makes me wonder how many millions, possibly billions, the Trumps have saved us. And all the lefties can do is cry that he is pocketing money from us every time he goes to one of his properties. I even read a comment this morning about him making $400,000 a year. Some snowflakes don’t even know he donates his entire salary except for the $1 required by law.

• spren says:

It is utterly ridiculous that so many Americans aren’t aware that PDJT and many in his cabinet aren’t accepting salaries for their service. Can you even begin to imagine the media’s take on this if Clinton or Obama had forsaken their government salaries?

Everything is narrative and what perpetuates it. Trump is enriching himself and using his powers to benefit his business enterprises! Yeah, right. Trump loves this country so much that he has sacrificed not only his salary, but the incredible earning of his properties. No way a self-interested person would’ve done what he has done. He would be prospering beyond his wildest dreams (and his family members as well) if he had just stayed out of this fray and went on with his chosen life.

I’m not aware of any other president forsaking his salary for love of county other than our greatest president, George Washington. I get so sick of hearing about how ambitious Washington was, pursuing things for his own interests, when he never accepted pay of any kind for his service both as our Commander in Chief, and then as president. I’ve been at Mount Vernon and prayed at his tomb. What an incredibly great man he was – truly divinely inspired and protected.

• LULU says:

It was not a matter of saving money. She knows how to do it. She has lived it. And she has at least one person on her staff who knows how it is done.

Some in the media talk of Melania as though she just arrived in the big city, a naive waif. So wrong. They are the ones who sound naive.

8. bkrg2 says:

Melania plans the event herself. Wow!
    Mr President, she is a keeper!

9. Aleks says:

Lafayette, a French aristocrat who fought in the American Revolutionary War, was a close friend of Washington and frequent visitor to My. Vernon. How about THAT for some well thought out symbolism? In fact, as I recall, there is a key Washington presented to Lafayette in recognition of his contributions to our nation that hangs on display on a hallway wall near the front entrance. I could just picture Trump pointing that out to Macron as they took a tour of the place.

• One other aspect of the mansion I found interesting is the house is completely divided in the middle, with the family’s private quarters on the right and the public areas on the left.

While George Washington was alive Mt. Vernon saw a steady flow of visitors coming to meet the great man, so much so he remarked Mount Vernon was becoming like a busy inn.

• Richard Heyne says:

Aleks: On our visit to Mt Vernon some years ago, the guide pointed out the aforesaid key and said that it was from the Bastille. This is truly a wonderful site. Rich. H.

10. Every American should visit Mount Vernon. It’s a beautiful and fascinating place, and after visiting the museum and house – walking the grounds; seeing trees still living from Washington’s time; being inside his home – I truly felt in a way as if I had met George Washington.

Interesting: Note the walls of the mansion appear to be made of stone blocks. It isn’t: It’s wood facing carved to look like blocks with a limestone plaster painted on. The home is right on the banks of the Potomac, so you can imagine the challenge of maintaining a wooden structure in such a humid environment.

• 1stgoblyn says:

Our high school senior class trip was to Washington, D.C. and we did get to see Mt. Vernon although I don’t remember touring the house itself. I have been to WDC many times (worked at GSA for 9 months) when I was very young and could not wait to get out of there, but it is a beautiful city in parts.

11. TwoLaine says:

That is some real history there. The 45th President and FLOTUS TRUMP at the 1st President’s Home giving a dinner for a French President and his Lady Macron. Tres Cool.

12. Mickturn says:

Mt. Vernon is an amazing place. It used to be on over 8000 acres, now it’s much less. If you ever get an opportunity to visit, don’t pass it up!
    George Washington was an amazing man. This house/property is his legacy along with all he did to make sure America had a fresh start! Too Bad we have so few of his stature in American Govt. today.

• spren says:

IMHO, there’s never been anyone of his stature in any country, let alone just America. He was truly sent to us by God who provided one miracle after another to grant him victory in his futile attempt to defeat the British. There are books on his adventures during the French and Indian War (The War That Made America) that reveal how he was both divinely inspired and protected.

I am amazed that I learned so much about the man when I was much older that I’d never been exposed to in my school days – and that was back when we were still being inspired to love our country.

Read David Hackett Fischer’s books, “Washington’s Crossing” and “Paul Revere’s Ride” to obtain historical details most Americans have never heard. He reverses the revisionism that many historians have tried to put in place to diminish this incredibly great man. I assure you it will be very well worth your time to do so.

13. Chris L says:

The pomp and circumstance of the Macron state visit, the State Dinner, the symbolic tree planting, AND the even more symbolic dinner last evening at Mt. Vernon–the home of General George Washington who led our victory over Britain in the Revolutionary War. Does anyone besides me think there is a message being sent to the Brits by Trump? As we know, British Intelligence worked with Obama Administration and the Deep State in the illegal “wiretapping” and electronic surveillance of Trump and his campaign. I think I see a message being sent. 🙂

14. LULU says:

Here is an interesting article from Mount Vernon about the rusticating process that produced the finish on the residence’s exterior (wood) walls…

• LULU says:

From that Mount Vernon article:

Rustication is a manner of treating the exterior of a wooden building to make it appear as if it is made of stone. The effect is achieved by cutting and beveling the wooden siding boards (at Mount Vernon the boards are made of pine) at regular intervals to simulate stone bocks, and by applying sand to the surface to imitate the rough texture of stone. In the eighteenth century the treatment was most often used to add distinction to isolated structural elements, such as around doorways and windows.

At Mount Vernon all four walls of the mansion are rusticated.

15. carshop says:

What a gorgeous setting for the state dinner. Looks very Versailles.

16. Bendix says:

I finally found her in the pink outfit.
    She was wearing it when they got off the plane at Andrews AFB.
    Not good at posting pictures.
    I thought she looked very pretty.

17. kea says:

I love it!!! Thank you for posting.