Thursday March 8th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen โ€

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

202 Responses to Thursday March 8th – Open Thread

1. DanDeplorable says:

“Hi There!”

2. citizen817 says:

3. Garrison Hall says:

An old favorite. What I like about this video is that everyone appears to be having such a good time making it.

4. Lucille says:

HAPPY CURSDAY!

5. Lucille says:

Fearless Woman Doesnโ€™t Hesitate, Marches Straight Into Frozen Lake To Save Strangerโ€™s Dog
    03/05/2018 – Posted By Amy Drew

• amwick says:

Wow… I hope she knew that the lake wasn’t that deep, so she was able to walk??
      Amazing… TY

• Bob Thoms says:

“Life With Dogs” what nice web site. Thanks for the link.

• greenmakescents says:

Just curious, are most Canadian men like twinkle socks and kind of woosie? Brave woman goes in freezing water to rescue dog of man standing on edge of lake waiting for her to get his dog to shore. Poor dog, needs to realize he is not that mans best friend.

• Lucille says:

Not a single one of the Canadian men I know, including relatives and friends, are wimps. Who that guy was would depend upon what city he’s from and what his politics are. It’s pretty much the same as the U.S. Lots of metrosexuals in the big cities. The countryside and the small cities of the provinces are where you find the stout-hearted.

6. Lucille says:

WOMEN’S MARCH LEADER ATTENDED RACIST HATE GROUP EVENTS FOR 30 YEARS
    March 7, 2018 by Daniel Greenfield

• Bobby Alley says:

Last time I talked with him he was facing arrest for bring guns into Canada he said were planted in his trailer.

• Bobby Alley says:

Garrow suspected Obama would try to take America down before he got out of office. He and some others had a boat sailing in anonymous locations on the Great Lakes to broadcast in case the O regime took out conservative communications. I donated to it via PayPal.

• jackphatz says:

Breitbart had John Podesta pegged as a pedophile (trafficking) right up to the day he died. I’m sure THAT was to have been the big news he was about to release.

• …or perhaps proof on the lack of Natural Born Citizenship (& therefore ineligibility) for Obama…supposedly Hannity was to release that info after Breitbart’s death but apparently never did…

• jackphatz says:

Andrew had just revamped “Breitbart News” with new or more backers, had made an announcement of intent to put out this info, then suddenly he was dead. There is no way he was the only one who knew so it has always made sense he was murdered. Otherwise the people who took over could have just finished what he had started.
          It’s more likely Podesta had him killed, just like Seth Rich.

• millwright says:

Seems like a valid reason for their successful successors, aka KS and MB, to be very careful n their personal lives !

• I’ve mentioned the Breitbart & Clancy assassinations to family & I think they think I’m nuts…thanks for the link…

7. Bobby Alley says:

https://www.facebook.com/jim.garrow.1 With glasses he would resemble Thomas Wictor.

8. Lucille says:

Meet the Real Black Panthers, the Ones Hollywood Ignores
    These guys are actual heroes. Why keep making movies about fake ones?
    3.7.2018 by Trey Sanchez

9. citizen817 says:

10. citizen817 says:

11. flame says:

Cat – an instigator

12. jackphatz says:

โ€œI saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.โ€

Michelangelo Buonarroti

13. millwright says:

Got nothin’ for Cursday but I miss Mocha ! From her peeing on me as we first met, through her developing “teens” into a large and very friendly ( if often loud and seemingly intimidating ) adulthood she made friends wherever she went . She left us too soon and my eyes frequently stray to where she’s buried ..

• amwick says:

๐Ÿ˜ฆ
      I miss my sweet old dog. I have kept her collar and a baggie of her fur in my treasures drawer…. I cannot give them up… not yet.

• oldiadguy says:

Don’t give them up, instead cherish them as a remembrance of one who gave you unconditional love. I have Pixie’s hair, photos and videos as a remembrance of the unconditional love she gave us and the stoic courage she showed through her many health issues.

You may remember me having mentioned that I have lost a number of computers in the past couple of years, due to hard drive crashes. After Pixie died, I started pulling out those old hard drives, many of them dead and began searching them for photos and videos. On one hard drive that was “dead,” I was suddenly able to open, access the files and found a video that I thought it had been lost when the hard drive crashed. The video is of Pixie playing with my nephew, Tyler about a month before he was killed in a car crash.

After retrieving the photos and videos from that hard drive, it crashed again. Love is a gift that can manifest itself in many ways, such as reviving a dead hard drive to retrieve a precious memory.

Take care and God Bless

• Chris says:

millwright, We too, often gaze at our last pets favorite shady , and final resting place in the backyard, always with fond loving memories . We humans miss our pets when they leave us.
      Do dogs go to Heaven ? , do they have a soul? What do we see in each others eyes?
      From where do we derive our love for one another ? Is there a spiritual element ?

I just finished a short (150 page) wonderfully written book titled “The grace of Dogs” by
      Andrew Root, a theologian who explores teaches and explains some of these connections/questions between us humans and our canine companions that had a profound affect on me, Infact, I learned much about myself and our lost companion .
      I cannot recomend it enough to you and all Treeper canine lovers . I think it will bring you much comfort and understanding .

Available as an ebook and on audio from Penguin Random House .

• oldiadguy says:

Here are a couple of more books to consider.

The First was written by a Franciscan monk about his journey in life with some of his four legged companions and how it relates to the teaching of St. Francis.

“I Will See You in Heaven” by Friar Jack Wintz

I haven’t started this book yet, but it was recommended to me by a friend.

“Biblical Proof Animals Do Go To Heaven” by Steven Woodward

I go past Pixie’s grave everyday. I knew that we would someday lose her and our other little one, Gracie, so I prepared a spot for them. An Angel Garden as it were. Even though our four legged companions are no longer physically with us, their spirits still walk besides us everyday. How do I know this? Because our little four legged angels are the pipeline for God’s unconditional love for each of us.

Take care and God Bless

• amwick says:

Bless you. Not that long ago I found a special blue ball. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜ฆ
          Angels, indeed.

• oldiadguy says:

And that blue ball contained those special memories. Relive them, cherish them and always remember the love shared.

Take care and God Bless

• tazz2293 says:

I have had many furball friends over my lifetime. I feel their love everyday, believe they all watch over me and are still with me in some way. There are many times, out of the corner of my eye, I swear I see a tail or two. That is how I know their love is always there close by and still in my heart.

14. fred5678 says:

Mark Steyn has the definitive wrap-up on the Oscars — complete with a video of what the Oscars USED to be — entertainment.

• NCPatrick says:

Delicious! So many wonderful songs and two wonderful entertainers. Thanks Fred, that was a wonderful ten minutes.

• skeinster says:

What a gem- two immensely talented gentlemen and a clever song. Thank you for this.

• nikkichico7 says:

โญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธโญ๏ธ
      Boy thatโ€™s some nice listening โค๏ธ

• adagio54 says:

โ€œThey were simply the necessary cue to bathe in the warm glow of collective moral narcissism, which is as cloying and nauseating a perfume as there is. Miss Redgrave consciously chose to be unpopular. By contrast, Sunday’s crowd said all the right things, all the de rigueur things, and yet were strangely unlikeable, and charmless.โ€

Ahhhh…gotta love the way Steyn elevates the language. I must remember this because, all too often, I am reduced to #$&@(+% !!!!!!!! !

• Janie M. says:

fred, I am old enough to remember all those wonderful variety shows decades ago when I was a kid. I think, but am not sure, Steve Lawrence and his wife, Edie Gorme (“Blame it on the Bossa Nova”), had one of those shows. I loved Sammy Davis, Jr. and believe his rendition of “Mr. Bo Jangles” will forever be the best to me.

15. Sepp says:

Lent is passing swiftly.

During Great Lent, or the Great Fast, the Prayer of Saint Ephraim of Syria is generally prayed twice a day on week days by Orthodox Christians.

“Oh Lord and Master of my life, . . . .”

The wording seems to vary a bit for the whole prayer from place to place.

A very edifying explanation in English by Saint Luke of Crimea, a 20th century Bishop and physician and surgeon, of the meaning of the Prayer of Saint Ephraim is online.

• Menagerie says:

Thank you. I copied the prayer to my file of favorites, and I will used it for the rest of Lent. This was very timely for me, and hits exactly on some needs I have.

• Sepp says:

Thank God and Saint Ephraim.

At the start of Great Lent, when I do the prostrations and bows that are a part of this prayer, I am usually struggling to make sure I pray this in the morning before going to work, but the time this prayer takes is really so short. More than a few times I did not pray Saint Ephraim’s prayer until reaching work and doing so when no one else was around and I had a few minutes to spare.

Saint Ephraim asked God to take away certain passions and help him attain certain virtues.

16. BigMamaTEA says:

17. Dora says:

Letitia Hamilton – ‘Snow in County Down’ (1937)

18. smiley says:

Old Inn Richmond

oil/panel

(no date)

Grey Day

oil/panel

(no date)

artist : Ken Knight ~ Australian (b. 1956, Sydney) ~ Contemporary~ plein air Impressionism~ Landscapes

a master plein air painter, his approach is “capturing the essence and spirit of a scene…through the elimination and reduction of detail..”

he does this beautifully with his skilled use of thick juicy paint, bold gestural brushwork and palette knife.

…on location somewhere beautiful.

…his studio & easel.

๐Ÿ™‚

more here…

19. Rynn69 says:

Happy Thursday to all.

20. Dora says:

21. Bob Thoms says:

Disturbing. Tucker Carlson’s new “Men In America” series. We have a crisis America. Please watch and spread the word.

and follow up with this interview:

• Bob Thoms says:

Tucker has four daughters and one son.

• smiley says:

part of what the toxic social feminism activist movement has brought about, imo.

Marxist-based.

anti-Capitalist
      anti-property
      anti-family
      etc

perpetuating the “class struggle” by demoralizing MEN into a MARGINALIZED status/condition.

Marx and his “gender neutrality” theories of “social change”

change the genders and roles of same = part of the “social change”

the old-fashioned capitalist notion of the “bourgeois family” is OPPRESSIVE.

(and…a threat.)

• pacnwbel says:

Jordan Peterson concluded his time with Tucker with the advice to remove one’s child from public school, especially those advocating equity, diversity, toxic masculinity etc. and society would be the better without such schools. Brave fellow, it promises to be a very interesting series. Imho, we need men to be men, not afraid of silly societally imposed labels

22. Dora says:

23. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels! Truth…….

24. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day
    โœŸ
    โ€œA new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.โ€
    John 13:34 (KJV)

25. duchess01 says:

26. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

27. Bob Thoms says:

Gotta Love Old Dogs……

28. TheLastDemocrat says:

Another new piece of rhetoric. Sounds pretty desperate: Huffpo has decided that if you use the term “globalist,” you are being anti-semitic:

29. duchess01 says:

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 7, 2018
    A Far Greater Tyranny Than Big Government

30. Dora says:

Another nice find. When I see things like this, I wish I had studied to become an archaeologist. Too late now, but I can still enjoy reading about these discoveries.

====

2,000-year-old ruins of a Roman military chief’s luxury villa with 14 rooms, marble floors and ornate mosaics are unearthed by subway construction workers in Rome

31. nikkichico7 says:

Psalm 8:4 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    4 What is man that You [a]take thought of him,
    And the son of man that You care for him?

John 3:16 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

16 โ€œFor God so loved the world, that He gave His [a]only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Psalm 150 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    A Psalm of Praise.
    150 [a]Praise [b]the Lord!
    Praise God in His sanctuary;
    Praise Him in His mighty [c]expanse.
    2 Praise Him for His mighty deeds;
    Praise Him according to His excellent greatness.
    3 Praise Him with trumpet sound;
    Praise Him with harp and lyre.
    4 Praise Him with timbrel and dancing;
    Praise Him with stringed instruments and pipe.
    5 Praise Him with loud cymbals;
    Praise Him with resounding cymbals.
    6 Let everything that has breath praise [d]the Lord.
    [e]Praise [f]the Lord!

๐ŸŒน

32. amwick says:

Dh and I are at his eye doctor. I have successfully tethered my tablet to a sorta smart phone. Yeah, I forgot how, but it worked out. So the smart phone became a mobile hotspot. ๐Ÿ™‚ Now I can keep an eye on the Sessions stuff… woot woot. I resent my smart phone, and keep it turned off most of the time.
    There is muzac here and it is dreadful. *sighs.
    Carry on.

33. duchess01 says:

March 08, 2018
    CNN & Corporate MOCKINGBIRDS: “Your censorship is a heinous crime against all of humanity.”

from SGT Report.com:

34. georgiafl says:

Happy Currsday, Treepers!

Doggie getting ready to watch Trump rally….

35. BigMamaTEA says:

Today…..on Senate tee-vee……Agenda item is S.2155 (hacking back some of Dodd-Frank which is killing a lot of smaller banks!) {this is a good thing!!)

My jaw dropped open (in silence, which is a big deal! ha!) Sen. Ben Cardin (D-MD- 2nd term=12 yrs- Up re-election 2018!) first started celebrating International Women’s Day- then proceeded complain that Trump defunded the program that used to pay for abortions in OTHER countries with OUR money!…..but, what made my jaw-drop? Cardin actually started talking about the Equal Rights Amendment, and how it had conditions on it that to pass, the 3/5 of States
    must be approved in a term of 7yrs, and that it only missed by 3 states, and therefore, the congress-criminals should now go back and eliminate that 7 year conditional term!!!!

This man is INSANE. He MUST be replaced. Maryland treepers……GET BUSY!

36. WhistlingPast says:

Six literal days of Creation.
    Should Christians believe it or not?
    1-minute of audio from Pastor John MacArthur (gty.org)

37. nikkichico7 says:

On my way home from an errand I caught a program on local 1500 AM Detroit ….
    March 08, 2018
    Spiritual Warfare 101
    Is Satan real or is he simply a character invented for our entertainment or nightmares? Should Christians be concerned about demons and their influence in our lives? What does it take to overcome besetting sins? We will explore the answers to these and other questions with Dr. Marcus Warner, president of Deeper Walk International. He will take us into the Word of God so we can be equipped to live victoriously in Christ. What do you need to know about dealing with the devil?
    SPIRITUAL WARFARE
    by Dr. Timothy Warner
    Vice President of International Ministries, Freedom in Christ
    Former Missions Chairman and President, Fort Wayne Bible College
    Faculty member, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School

It was to me very good. As a Christian itโ€™s important information.

Spiritual Warfare: Know the Enemy’s Plan – Excell for …
    Dr. Marcus Warner’s … Spiritual warfare … “I wonder how many Christians who go into battle every day against a very real and potent spiritual …
    Search domain http://www.excellforlife.comexcellforlife.com/2016/07/spiritual-warfare-know-the-enemys.

SPIRITUAL WARFARE – multipletreasures.org
    by Dr. Timothy Warner. … Once we open the door to our spiritual enemy through listening to one of his lies, … If spiritual warfare is a battle for the mind, …
    Search domain multipletreasures.orgmultipletreasures.org/FTIO/warfare-spiritual-warfare.htm
    PDF

What every believer should know about spiritual warfare
    What every believer should know about spiritual warfare Marcus Warner, … Dr. Warner taught Old Testament and Theology at Bethel College in
    Search domain http://www.restoredtofreedom.comrestoredtofreedom.com/Spiritual_Warfare_and_Deliverance.pdfMore

The last link is a PDF that is 73 pages ….

The excell for life link has three word, R.E.S.T. ….. F.R.E.E. and S.T.A.R.T.

From the excell for life article/link:
    Win the battle for your mind by these four principles Dr. Warner gives us and remembered by R.E.S.T.

Recognize the enemy โ€“ remind yourself that not every thought that comes into your head is yours, and ask yourself, โ€œWhere is that thought coming from?โ€
    Expose the enemy โ€“ recognize that a thought is from or an attack by the enemy, and then it often will leave right then
    Stand against the enemy โ€“ submit ourselves to God through confession and obedience and command the devil to flee in the name of Jesus โ€œResist the devil and he will flee from you.โ€ James 4:7
    Turn to the truth & Godโ€™s Word (God speaking to us) โ€“ replace the lie of the enemy or negative thoughts with Godโ€™s truth and think about โ€œthings that are good

F.R.E.E. stands for Marcusโ€™ four steps to deal with and tear down the devilโ€™s strongholds (negative emotions and foolish behavior) in our lives. โ€œSubmit yourselves therefore to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you.โ€ James 4:7

Forgive (to cancel a debt) โ€“ When we forgive, we release a person from the debt they owed us AND release them from the chains that keep us bound to them & to the power of sin. We release them from the debt owed us, but not from what is owed to God. We are handing them over to Godโ€™s collection agency & letting Him deal with the debt. Ask the Holy Spirit to bring to mind people you need to forgive (get in touch with the pain), so you can choose to forgive them from the heart as an act of obedience to our Lord. Forgiveness is a gift from God to unlock the chains of bitterness. You can choose to cancel a debt and set yourself free, & hand the chains of bitterness to God. After going through this process of forgiveness, it is important to pray a blessing on the one who wronged you. If you have truly forgiven, this is not hard to do. You want God to reveal hurts that drove the offending person to do evil. It also helps to confirm the reality of your decision to forgive and makes it tangible.
    Repent (to change your mind, and then behavior) โ€“ Repentance is one of the happiest words in English as it means you get another chance and promise of a new beginning and fresh start. However a person can confess and not really want to change. This can be seen in them seeking secrecy more than change, trivializing the sin, resisting help, introspection that lead to immobilization (letting the sin define their existence), passing the blame to others, and excusing the sin.
    Eliminate โ€“ things (as videos in your home that have bad messages or racy magazines, etc) or behaviors we must eliminate that keep us in bondage
    Evict โ€“After submitting to God by forgiveness, repentance & elimination, we are in position to resist the devil by taking our thoughts captive & tearing down strongholds. In the power of Jesus Christ we can evict the devil & fill our holes with the Holy Spirit. We must remove legal ground & evict the tormentors that harass is if we want to live in freedom.

Seek โ€“ To seek God is to ask Him questions and look to Him for solutions to our problems and our idols. When we ask for wisdom, Godโ€™s Spirit within us guides us to the wisdom we seek. He may speak directly to our hearts, speak through scripture and reading His Word, or speak through other people or life circumstances. Start by scheduling a weekly date with God in your calendar and decide where it will be (palace in your home, outside, or other place), and then move to more frequently. God designed time to pass in cycles, and each new cycle is a reminder to seek Him. Ask Him to show you how to do this and what He wants it to look like, then go with whatever your heart tells you (and resist Satanโ€™s defeating thoughts entering your mind). Dr. Warner suggests to get focused at the beginning of each day by S.T.A.R.T. Seek God first. Touch someoneโ€™s heart (and start with your spouse!). Attack my day (maybe a To Do list form the evening before). Remember who I am (and act like myself). Tackle the tough stuff first.

โ€œFor the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him.โ€ 2 Chronicles 16:9

Listen โ€“ God wants you to listen to the Spirit and His voice and live in the Spirit. If not, we create many problems. God made us in His image and set us free in Christ, to learn to be our self and live from our heart. Listen to Godโ€™s voice through:

Biblical Meditation: The words will come alive when the Holy Spirit uses it to speak to our hearts. With the Bible in our hands and the Spirit in our hearts, we truly have the โ€œmind of Christโ€ to guide us in all wisdom. (1Cor.2:16) Pray and listen while you read or think about a passage in scripture and develop intimacy with God.
    Journal: Taking time to write slows you down so you can learn and walk with Christ. Daily you can write a recap of your day, write a prayer and listen and you will likely fill journals with arguments, confessions, insights and answered prayers. The Spirit does want to speak to you, if you will learn to seek Him and expect an answer.
    Fasting: Fasting is a form of sacrifice and a means of petitioning God. Sacrifices opens doors in the spiritual realms that otherwise would remain shut. Every time you feel hunger, you are reminded of the things of heaven. It helps you set your mind on things above and creates an atmosphere that keeps God in the forefront of your thoughts.
    God wants hearing His voice to be a normal daily part and experience of your life. If we train our hearts to listen, there is much He wants to say!

๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒธ I feel this is a particular blessing as Christians for the battles we fight every day ….

Ephesians 6:10-18 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    The Armor of God
    10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12 For our struggle is not against [a]flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14 Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 [b]in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 [c]With all prayer and petition [d]pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, [e]be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints,

God bless you all treepers, Sundance, Menagerie, Reagan, and Ad rem, you are precious to all us rag-tag treepers. You are our sunshine ๐ŸŒž

Numbers 6:24-26
    ๐ŸŒน

38. Pat Frederick says:

this thread is a nice respite today. I thought the AG Sessions war might abate with the new announcement about the parallel prosecutor, but man! the other threads are smoking hot and getting somewhat dicey. Show me pictures of gorgeous flowers, lovable older dogs and calming prayers any day! thanks everyone!!!!

• BigMamaTEA says:

AND don’t forget updates on congress-criminal tee-vee!!!

• Lucille says:

Sometimes it’s real difficult not to yell, CUT IT OUT! On the days when commentary on the other threads gets to be a bit much, take a respite for a couple of days…read Sundance’s post and ignore the rest.

You’ll always find a joyous comment or post in the Open Thread to soothe your mind. It’s the section for all things not Presidential or topic-related. So there’ll be serious stuff, too. When I post the serious, I only put the article caption, the writer, date and the link so that viewers can easily bypass the post if it’s not of interest.

Have a restful day, Pat!

• Lucille says:

Correction: “When I post the serious, I USUALLY only…” The Vet Ranch vid below required a bit more of an explanation as I didn’t want anyone to view something that might disturb. I find veterinary vids fascinating but am aware they might be troublesome for others.

• Pat Frederick says:

thank you! I normally turn off the laptop in the afternoon and focus on a cozy fire, my handsome husband and count my blessings! The tree house is an awesome place!

39. Lucille says:

She Once Was Blind (the vid has a great ending)
    Vet Ranch YouTube Channel
    A poor dog who was a used and abused puppy mill victim. God bless these dear vets for their work to aid last chance dogs and cats.

Warning, it’s a veterinarian channel; so there might be some scenes which make a person wince. YouTube requires them not to show actual operations. But if you’re interested in that, you are offered an option to view the vid in its entirety via link in the description.

40. BigMamaTEA says:

Sen. adjourned 4:30pmEST. Off tomorrow. (Both Chambers are)

Senate reconvenes Monday, 4pmEST. (There should be a start of voting on S.2155 – (which nibbles at removing restrictions on small banks from Dodd-Frank) as the Cloture motion (stops debate) “ripens” Monday.

41. duchess01 says:

THURSDAY, MARCH 8, 2018
    All Is A Mystery to Unbelieving America

42. Sylvia Avery says:

Hi Treepers and Happy Cursday! Last week I told you I had adopted a new dog from a local shelter. I was able to bring her home on Friday. Whew! It has been a busy darned week, but enjoyable, too, as I have been getting to know my new family member.

We ended up deciding to name her Chloe. She has some minor health issues mostly around neglect and poor nutrition, but my vet thinks she is doing beautifully. Thankfully she is house broken and she basically crate trained herself so THAT was lovely.

She doesn’t know any basic obedience commands, but I dusted off the clicker and have got pretty good name recognition and pretty good recall but they both need lots more repetition. She is not leash trained, and she is afraid of many odd things: coming in the front door, going in or out the slider onto the patio, the sound of raindrops on the patio cover, her dog coat…

Anyway, she has a sweet and loving nature and a quick mind. But I do have my work cut out for me. I haven’t had the time to post much or read much, but I am trying to keep up with Sundance’s always fabulous articles because they always explain so much that is going on in the world.

I miss having the time to read lots of posts and comment, but as was noted upthread I can’t say that I miss the constant Sessions bashing. And I am not a Sessions apologist. I have doubted him many times. It’s just that the constant yapping gets old and makes me weary, and I have wanted so much for Sessions to be good at his job that it hurts.

It is probably good for me to refocus a bit on something a little closer to home like my new bundle of joy! It may be awhile before I am able to spend much time online. But I miss you guys and wanted to let you all know we are making progress and I am still here, still reading, even if I don’t get much time to post right now. Hugs to you all!

Sylvia

• auscitizenmom says:

I have the same feelings about Sessions as you do. I really want him to turn out to be good at that job.

I am glad your new doggie is working out for you. She may get over a lot of those problems in time. In case you haven’t heard about them, there are natural treats that you can give a dog that makes them feel calmer. I use Quiet Moments, that I buy at the pet store, with mine. She isn’t really a hyper dog, boy that is an understatement. But, I started using them when I had left her at a new kennel and she came back with something that seemed like PTSD. It took me a week to get her back to normal, but I had been afraid it would never happen. I would give the treat about an hour before she had to do something scary. It really worked with her.

• Sylvia Avery says:

Thanks for the tip! I’ll look for Quiet Moments. I do believe to a large extent her behavior will improve when she settles in, but I am doing everything I can to help her with that.

I have had the difficult experience of working with two different dogs who were human reactive and both had bite histories, so I am pretty alert now to dog body language and reading their reactions and working very hard not to add to their stress level or fear. It is hard, hard work but it can be so rewarding.

The experience your dog had at the kennel is not that unusual, sadly. I’m not suggesting she was mistreated or abused, although who knows??, but so often the experience can be really traumatizing for them. Poor baby.

• auscitizenmom says:

My little girl does better in the quiet and around not too many people. I have always left her at the vet’s. Their kennel is very small and she is used to being taken care of by only a few people. Unfortunately, they were full and recommended this other place. It is large and noisy. She wet her bed, lost weight, acted really weird when I got her, sat and stared at the wall with a weird expression on her face, tried to run away from me (which she had never, ever done), and wouldn’t eat. I took her too the vet the next day, that is when she tried to run away, and she checked out all right, but he thought she might have mentally slipped over the edge. They have put on her record that they are to make a place for her if I ever call and ask for her to be kenneled. I appreciate that.

• Sylvia Avery says:

Oh, the poor girl. So sad. Glad your vet responded appropriately though.

• auscitizenmom says:

Well, actually, he diagnosed that she had gone into sudden onset senility. I just wouldn’t accept that and went out and found the Quiet Moments and tried to keep things quiet around her. It worked. Took about a week or 10 days, but she finally started acting normal and eating again.