Reverend Bill Graham is honored today during a ceremony at the Capitol Hill Rotunda:

[Transcript] U.S. Capitol, Washington, D.C. – 11:21 A.M. EST

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you, Speaker Ryan and Leader McConnell. And, most importantly, thank you to the entire Graham family for honoring us with your presence here today. Thank you.

In the spring of 1934, Billy Graham’s father allowed a group of Charlotte businessmen to use a portion of the family’s dairy farm to gather for a day of prayer.

On that day, the men prayed for the city. They prayed that, “Out of Charlotte, the Lord would raise up someone to preach the Gospel to the ends of the Earth.”

We are here today, more than 80 years later, because that prayer was truly answered.

Billy Graham was 15 years old at the time. Just a few months later, he accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior.

That choice didn’t just change Billy’s life — it changed our lives. It changed our country, and it changed, in fact, the entire world.

The North Carolina farm boy walked out of those fields, into a great and beautiful history. Starting at a small Bible school in Florida, he soon led a nationwide revival — from a large tent in Los Angeles, to 100,000 people in a single day at Yankee Stadium, to more than 2 million people at Madison Square Garden, over 16 weeks in 1957.

And I remember that, because my father said to me, “Come on, son” — and, by the way, he said, “Come on, mom. Let’s go see Billy Graham at Yankee Stadium.” And it was something very special.

But Americans came in droves to hear that great young preacher. Fred Trump was a big fan. Fred Trump was my father.

In London, Tokyo, Seoul, Bogota, Moscow, New Delhi, Saigon, Johannesburg, and scores of other places all over the world, Reverend Graham shared the power of God’s word with more than 200 million people, in person, and countless others through television and radio where people loved to watch and listen.

In 1978, with the support of the Catholic Bishop who would soon become Pope John Paul II, Reverend Graham went to Poland and spoke of the meaning of the cross to a people suffering under the soulless oppression of communism.

Billy Graham carried his message around the world, but his heart, as Franklin will tell you, was always in America.

He took his message to the poorest places, to the downtrodden and to the brokenhearted, to inmates in prison, and to the overlooked and the neglected. He felt a great passion for those that were neglected.

Everywhere he went, Reverend Graham delivered the same beautiful message: God loves you. That was his message. God loves you.

We can only imagine the number of lives touched by the preaching and the prayers of Billy Graham –- the hearts he changed, the sorrows he eased, and the joy he brought to so many. The testimony is endless.

Today, we give thanks for this extraordinary life. And it’s very fitting that we do so right here in the Rotunda of the United States Capitol, where the memory of the American people is enshrined.

Here in this room, we are reminded that America is a nation sustained by prayer. The painting to my left is of the pilgrims as they embarked for America, holding fast to the Bible and bowing their heads in prayer.

Along these walls, we see the faces of Americans who prayed as they stood on the Lexington Green, who prayed as they headed west, prayed as they headed into battle, and prayed as they marched for justice, and always marched for victory.

Around us stand the statues of heroes who led the nation in prayer during the great and difficult times, from Washington to Lincoln to Eisenhower to King.

And, today, in the center of this great chamber lies legendary Billy Graham, an ambassador for Christ who reminded the world of the power of prayer and the gift of God’s grace.

Today we honor him as only three private citizens before him have been so honored.

And like the faithful of Charlotte once did, today we say a prayer for our country, that all across this land the Lord will raise up men and women like Billy Graham to spread a message of love and hope to every precious child of God.

Thank you. God bless you. And God bless America. Thank you very much.

END – 11:28 A.M. EST

This entry was posted in Christian Values, media bias, Mike pence, President Trump, Religion, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to President Trump Remarks Honoring Reverend Bill Graham – Capitol Hill Rotunda Ceremony…

1. sundance says:

2. StuckInBlue says:

Where are those tissues?

3. amwick says:

I watched this real time… with bleary eyes.. It was so touching.. As the ceremony was over, and the VIPs paid their respects, our President gently placed his hand on the coffin.. Such a simple gesture, graceful and caring.

• Cuffs says:

The Trumps certainly behaved better at this funeral than the Obamas did at Mandelas.
      The Obamas were classless & childlike–him taking selfies & flirting, her making faces like a spoiled, unhappy child.

4. frank field says:

John 14:6

5. Alison says:

Very moving.

Thank you for posting this, Sundance.

6. lokiscout says:

Amen Mr President. I believe Reverend Graham would appreciate and approve of your hartfelt comments. Two great men who love our God and our Country.

7. Rudy Bowen says:

Who were the three ‘so honored’ in the past, thus presumably the iconic equivalents of Graham?

8. Jeepers says:

A president who in simplicity…. spoke volumes…. of a man who in simplicity….. preached the Gospel.
    My heart swells with joy!

9. Pam says:

POTUS beautifully summed up Billy Graham’s life while making it a little personal. It was deeply moving to watch him touch the casket this morning. In fact, even since this happened last Wednesday morning, it’s been one moving event after another. I think one of the biggest standouts was the processional on Saturday from Montreat to Charlotte and seeing so many of the people standing on the bridges and overpasses paying their respects. May God grant comfort to the Graham family as they continue through the rest of this week.

10. Sharon Kelley says:

A wonderful, respectful and loving tribute given by our President honoring this man of God who touched so many lives over the years.

11. Matt Musson says:

What a wonderful, wonderful speech.

12. Pam says:

1 Thessalonians 4:13-16 NIV

13. christinewjc says:

Beautifully stated, personal and sincere remarks by our President Donald Trump.
    It’s such a joy to see and hear someone who is genuine about his faith and shows it through his speech honoring the Rev. Billy Graham.
    The Lord God heard our prayers for a God- honoring president in 2016 who loves America and our people.

14. Sharon says:

I’m grateful that those who had the authority to do so directed that this public honoring of this servant of God be done in this way. Blessed contrast with the deliberate dishonoring of God offered by others a couple of years back.

The humility and clarity of Billy Graham’s person and message speak for themselves.

15. Missing Andrew says:

Last call before The Storm

Mr. Billy Graham goes to Washington
    to preach his last crusade

“But these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence.” Luke 18:27

16. Pam says:

• I saw Linda Johnson Robb there as well. She looks so much like Lady Bird.

• Pam says:

I didn’t realize that was who it was at first until I saw the tweet later.

• webgirlpdx says:

Yes, it took me a little bit to figure out who that was…..once I remembered Sen. Robb.
          Loved her singing to “Just As I Am”.

• Her husband, Chuck Robb, who cheated on her, and for whom she seems to have forgiven, looked terrible. Linda looked good and looked so much like her sweet mother who lived a terrible life of infidelity by Lyndon Johnson. One of the stories and I certainly cannot say it is the truth, that puts Billy Graham in a terrible light is the “skinny dipping one” with Lyndon Johnson. That just seems bazaar to me and one that is certainly unflattering to Graham. Like all of us, Graham made some mistakes in judgment particularly in his relationships with politicians. Perhaps this is God’s lesson for the rest of us to be careful with whom we walk lest it comes back to bite us. It seems that Johnson, like Kennedy, enjoy skinny dipping. Perhaps comparing equipment is a Democrat weakness. I think personally it’s weird, especially in the White House.

• MaineCoon says:

Disgraceful comment. You should be ashamed of yourself.

• olderwiser21 says:

Yes – what purpose did it serve to mention these things? Quite uncalled for, really.

• And why not mention them? This isn’t gossip, but stories that have been in print for years both about Robb, LBJ and currently about Billy Graham. Do public figures forfeit scrutiny because they either die or fade away? I think not. I frankly have always admired Lady Bird Johnson for his dignity, for her beautification program that changed a lot of our national landscape and the grace to live with a slug like her husband. As to Billy Graham, I think his relationship with some of them tarnished his reputation. It seems that it’s okay here to drag the senior Pres. Bush through the mud because that’s the old tin foil NWO mantra, but don’t dare go anywhere near who “we” currently love.

17. Andy Noles says:

Those were really touching remarks by POTUS. As a fellow North Carolina boy I will miss Dr Graham and the life he lived. I can only image the conversations he is having right now in Heaven.

• webgirlpdx says:

Think of the millions greeting him there!

• I grew up less within 2 miles from the Graham homeplace in Charlotte, NC . At that time there were countless people who love and appreciated Billy Graham. Like my parents, they watched all of his crusades on television, supported financially his ministry and embraced him as a native son. His mother lived in an apartment behind a very popular shopping center once the family homeplace was sold. When the Billy Graham Parkway was created that connected the city to the Charlotte Airport many years ago, Ruth Graham remarked, “those that have been criticizing you, now will be driving over you”. It’s a beautiful parkway and benefiting of his name. Not everyone going back 40 to 50 years in the City of Charlotte have embraced him nor his message, but they were forced politically to reckon with him. Believe be when I say, the power brokers of the new Charlotte will all be present at his funeral. They know better not to be.

• Andy Noles says:

His old home place was on Park Rd I believe. Shopping center there now. I grew up and still live just across the Catawba River over in Gaston County. Heard they are closing Billy Graham Parkway at 9 tonight till after the funeral tomorrow. Glad I don’t work in Charlotte.

• There are office buildings where the old home place was situated. Park Rd. Shopping Center is about a half mile away I believe. Billy Graham Parkway is a major route to the Charlotte airport. This seems extreme, but I suppose it’s because the President will be there.

18. Lucille says:

The power to change…the power to forgive…the power to love…the power to make a difference in the lives of others…all these come from God…thank You, Lord!

“I Can Only Imagine”: A Tribute to Billy Graham.

19. If anyone has an interest, Billy Graham’s daughter, Anne Graham Lotz, is a fantastic Bible scholar and teacher. In fact, it has been said that she is the best preacher in the family next to her father. There are some wonderful youtube videos of her. She has written a number of books, travels the world teaching and preaching. Her husband passed away three years ago from chronic heart trouble. His name was Danny Lotz and he played basketball for UNC while in college.

20. TheLastDemocrat says:

Compare with the handling of such matters by his predecessor.

21. Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

We have a little bit of history with Billy Graham right here in Habersham County, GA. Before he started preaching full-time, He had one of his first revivals at Level Grove Baptist Church right here in Cornelia. It was June 13, 1940, and he was only 23 years old. The old church is still here, about 2 miles from my house.

22. quintrillion says:

Several of Billy Graham Crusade’s of 1957 can be viewed on youtube. Richard Nixon was VP to President Eisenhower at the time and gave an opening speech at the crusade in Yankee Stadium.

23. Beautiful, beautiful words. A moving tribute to the life of Billy Graham and the impact he had on this country and the people of this world. Just breathtaking!

24. Grandma Covfefe says:

Thank You, Lord, that President Trump won the election….or else the outcome of Rev. Billy Graham’s memorial service would have been very different.

Our dear President Trump has, as always, represented us very well. Thank you, President Trump!

To Rev Graham, Bless you and thank you for your mission in this world. We miss you already.(as a young girl I accepted Christ…Hubbie worked at Graham’s crusades. Billy Graham will always have a special place in our hearts…)

25. Pam says:

Franklin Graham’s daughter:

• Pam says:

• Donna in Oregon says:

Just as I am, without one plea,
        but that thy blood was shed for me,
        and that thou biddest me come to thee,
        O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, though tossed about
        with many a conflict, many a doubt,
        fightings and fears within, without,
        O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
        sight, riches, healing of the mind,
        yea, all I need in thee I find,
        O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Just as I am, thou wilt receive,
        wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
        because thy promise I believe,
        O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

26. Pam says:

27. Pam says:

• TheLastDemocrat says:

We wanted to provide a donation after the Haiti earthquake.
      I knew that many organizations take your money and go support abortions for the locals.
      We asked a few organizations point blank, and got answers ranging from vague to adamant pro-abortion.
      [We learned, after being asked to contribute to someone’s Komen Walk fund-raising – we would inform the friend who was doing the walk that we had just given to another breast cancer organization based on their request.]

Samaritan’s Purse was utterly different. Since then, we have heard this sentiment from others.

Of course, if we only knew back then how dastardly the various good will efforts would be.

Stick with Samaritan’s Purse if you want to contribute to a disaster response.

Fortunately for us, our tithing, and additional giving for Haiti relief, through our home church, is also well-managed.

28. Pam says:

29. All American Snowflake says:

When President Trump stepped up to speak, my tears started to flow and I wept for the rest of the eulogy ─ well up until the senate pastor preached a sermon instead of saying a prayer of faith. Which I contend is little more, and a whole lot less value, than just plain virtue signaling.

It seemed to me to be totally inappropriate for his prayer to reference the sins of those the great senate pastor seems to think are not “scandal free”. The senate pastor found it necessary to pray around the world in the name of Billy Graham’s Jesus and Jesus. It makes me think of the verse: “And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul [Billy Graham] I know; but who are ye?” I’m sure Billy Graham would not have prayed such a prayer.

I’m a prayer aficionado. In other words: Don’t be preaching to me in your prayer. Be talking to your God.

30. carole says:

Probably not a time to say anything negative; however, here goes: Contrary to what three of the speakers said, the Rev. Billy Graham did not see his mission to be only that of telling us “God loves you.” It went way beyond that: His mission was leading people to salvation in Christ. Of the 5 speakers: The House Chaplain, the Senate Leader, the House Speaker, the President and the House Chaplain, only our President Trump and the House Chaplain spoke the name of Jesus Christ.The rapt expressions on the faces of the Graham family when our President spoke, especially, said it all. He knew. And they knew.

31. MaineCoon says:

A heartfelt and fitting tribute by POTUS. Sen. McConnell and Rep. Ryan also gave meaningful tributes. Praise God that Rev. Graham passed during the term of our Christian President Trump so His servant could be exalted in His name in our country and before the world. May God comfort and bless Franklin Graham, Ann Graham Lotz and the entire Graham family.

32. Pam says: