Monday October 9th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

148 Responses to Monday October 9th – Open Thread

1. DanDeplorable says:

DAILY DEVOTIONAL, OCTOBER 9, 2017
    Who’s Going Thirsty?

“Let the one who desires take the water of life without price.”

Revelation 22:17

The invitation is to “take . . . without price.” The Lord Jesus Christ wants no payment or preparation. He seeks no recommendation from our virtuous emotions. If you have no good feelings, but if you are willing, you are invited; therefore come! If you have no belief and no repentance, come to Him, and He will give them to you. Come just as you are, and take without money and without price. He gives Himself to the needy.

In nineteenth-century Britain the drinking fountains at the corners of the streets were valuable institutions; it would have been a strange and foolish sight to see someone standing at the fountain declaring, “I cannot drink because I do not have any money.” However poor an individual may be, there is the fountain, and just as he is, he may drink of it without cost. Thirsty passengers, as they go by, whether they are dressed poorly or expensively, do not look for any authorization to drink; the existence of the fountain is sufficient warrant for taking its water freely. The generosity of some good friend has put in place the refreshing supply. It has already been paid for, and we take it and ask no questions.

Perhaps the only people who go thirsty through the street where there is a drinking fountain are the fine ladies and gentlemen who are in their carriages. They are very thirsty but cannot think of being so vulgar as to get out to drink. It would demean them, they think, to drink at a common drinking fountain: so they ride by with parched lips.

How many there are who are rich in their own good works and cannot therefore come to Christ! “I will not be saved,” they say, “in the same way as the prostitute or the blasphemer.” “What! go to Heaven in the same way as a chimney sweep? Is there no pathway to glory but the path that led the dying thief there? I will not be saved that way.” Such proud boasters must remain without the living water; but “Let the one who desires take the water of life without price.

–Charles H. Spurgeon, 1834-1892

2. canadacan says:

I sincerely hope that a lot of the Treepers got to see the interview with Bibi Netanyahu on Fox News tonight.
    I was bowled over and deeply moved at least the man got to tell his story

3. Garrison Hall says:

Since fall weather is approaching, I thought a good way to welcome an October Monday is with Andrew York’s performance of “Snowflight”. The two go together so well, it occurred to me that this might also be a good time to revisit Joseph Monninger’s, moving narrative of his fishing trip with his loyal yellow lab, Nellie. There are some stories that are timeless. This is the kind of book that you always want to take with you when you’re going someplace . . . or when you can just reach up on a shelf and take it down. I admit that I am very taken with Monninger’s narrative voice which gives him the remarkable ability to put you in the very moment he describes. If you’re of a mind to do so, read the following passage aloud to yourself and see if you get what I mean.

“I put my fly-rod up and found a comfortable spot to watch the stars come out. Nellie came to sit beside me. I scooted around and put my head on her back, using her for a headrest, but she didn’t seem to mind. Cold air swept above us, yet near the ground it did not feel too bad. We watched the planets appear, then the stars. The sky grew darker until each star stood out, white against black against the gray of the mountaintops. Nellie remained stationary, only her nose sniffing into the wind. She did not budge for an hour, and by that time the stars had eaten into the blackness, shuddering white in a cold sky.”

—From Home Waters by Joseph Monninger

4. sedge2z says:

Jessica Chambers d. Dec 6, 2014, Batesville, Mississippi
    Jury selection begins Monday Oct 9, 2017 for the murder trial.
    A lot of us treepers prayed and tried to help, so I thought some of
    you might be interested in this article. She’s still on my heart.

( They mentioned the clerk at the gas station who fled soon after: Ali Fadhel )

• rashamon says:

A hole in the soul, but it brought many together on this site to fight for Jeesicas everywhere. How connected and powerful we’ve become. Love you every single one for being so strong and supportive.

• lastinillinois says:

This story is how I found The Tree house.

Heard a blurb about Jessica’s murder while flipping channels one day, and the ONLY reference to it I could find while internet searching was here at The Tree house.

Good to see someone finally facing justice, but no way is he the only one involved.
        He is taking the rap for some other(s).

Will be interesting to see what evidence the authorities have been keeping under wraps.

• JustCC says:

I am also proud to be part of this site… Its one of the few that truly work to help people and not take advantage of …God Bless our TREE HOUSE

• BigMamaTEA says:

backatcha rashamon!

Afternoon Treeps…….

5. dilonsfo says:

I love this area of the Treehouse. After reading articles and comments in other sections of the “house” it is always comforting to come here and learn of people likes, dislikes, opinions on the variety of life, favorite things, favorite places and just the general respect and love each has for one another. It’s rather like being in the main room: several conversations going at the same time and one has the choice to stop and linger or join in. What a beautiful spot to enter and renew ones spirit. Best to you all.

• piper567 says:

dilonsfo,
      nice comment and summary…I began coming to this thread first in the mornings, but I have taken to your approach, as this Open Thread is a sort of re-entry into what is real and important.

• Ddanna says:

I love this area of the treehouse too! It’s hot prayers, music, art, cartoons — just a little bit of everything to enjoy with people who are like family!

• BigMamaTEA says:

And don’t forget treeps……If you’ve got some breaking news, (since this joint runs 24 hours/day) put it here too. That way Sd can also just come here first for new thread ideas. Some of us are all over the web, in all different areas. Find something interesting or things you think other should know, post it on a Daily Open thread.

6. Grandma Covfefe says:

Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Psalm 25:5

7. smiley says:

catch the moon 🙂

…and happy Monday 🙂

8. smiley says:

Ballycastle Rooftops

2006

oil/canvas

Stuart Shils ~ American (b.1954, Philadelphia) ~ Contemporary ~ Abstract Expressionism ~ Landscapes

very good abstract expressionist…his rural paintings, especially good…

more here…

🙂

• JC says:

Love these, Smiley – thank you. I know colors vary by device monitor, but it appears that he uses slightly “off” greens and combines them rather unconventionally, with oddly pleasing results. Could just be me, though.

9. Dora says:

William James Glackens – Italo-American Celebration, Washington Square (1912)

10. Dora says:

Some people in NYC would like to replace the statue of Christopher Columbus with one of this guy. Yikes!

11. Dora says:

12. nwtex says:

13. nwtex says:

14. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

15. nwtex says:

I always get a kick out of Ivana Trump. She’s a trip. I must say she is a talented sales person, imho, because years ago, shortly after the divorce, she was being interviewed and the interviewer asked her something about makeup and she said “I use the Maybelline mascara”. Natch, I knew her few words were paid for but what she said stuck with me to this day. Everytime I see Maybelline in the store I can hear her voice and that line. Hey, maybe the reason it stuck with me is because she was being sneaky haha

I enjoyed this interview.
    “First Ex” Ivana Trump on parenting and the president’s tweets
    October 8, 2017

Time for some questions for Ivana Trump, the first wife of President Trump, mother of his three oldest children, and author of a new book published by an imprint of Simon and Schuster, a part of CBS. Jim Axelrod met up with her on her home turf:

16. smadallib says:

Found this on NY Post’s website: Italian-Americans fight against movement to abolish Columbus Day. That’ll be an interesting show – Black Lives Matter & Antifa versus The Godfathers.

17. smiley says:

the disgusting pig Weinstein & stuff…

this idiot…

…called the vile & utterly repulsive Weinslime a “god” at the 2012 Golden Globs Awards (link above)…

and we all know what she’s said about President DJ Trump !

kinda funny how, lately, haven’t heard a peep from the hypocrite about her “god”.

18. Good Morning Folks..
    Awesome #ColumbusDay!
    Excuse Me I just gotta vent this Morning..
    Misses & I usually put things, (Plan ahead) dinners by putting things in our Small freezer/Fridge…

Well, Backstory, had a Plumber come by & fix the “sump pump” that enables the “sewage” to go uphill to the Road-sewage line…
    Well,,, it seems upon completing the Job…
    His “Helper” completely forgot to SWITCH-ON the breaker that powers the Sump-pump…
    First I noticed the smell inside Our Home, (again) indicating failure… Couple Days after He “Completed” the Job..
    Checked the breaker..
    Sure enough it was OFF..
    THEN, the Misses, goes into Our DEEP FREEZER. Only then did, We NOW; realize that Our Freezer was on the same circuit, as the sump pump…
    OH MY…
    We had just hit a awesome sale @ meat Market, (going out of Business Sale), a couple weeks before.. I spent about 300.00 on my credit card purchasing this stuff..
    We LOST everything… (Nothing was “cold”,,, at room temp beginning to “ferment”….)
    I’m going off on the Receipt I still have…
    33 pounds of chicken We bought @ 13.00/Box (Leg quarters)..
    Some 40 pounds of Rib-Eyes We bought at 4.79 per pound
    20 pounds of NY Strip @ 4.59 pound
    2 YUGE smoked Hams We bought @ 8.00 each, they are roughly 12-15 pounds each..
    20 pounds of 1/2 center-cut pork loin chops, purchased at 15.00 each, 10 pound packages..
    30 pounds of Hamburger meat @ 8.00 per 10 pounds
    2 Boston Whole Pork picnics @ 13.00
    15 pounds of Sirloin(s) steak bought bulk @ 17.00
    10 packs of Bacon, (that chit isn’t cheap)… @2.79 each
    Numerous packages of “reduced” cold cuts, (sandwich Meats).. about 20 of those..
    about 10 pounds of Sausage…
    Shrimp…
    About 20 pounds of that.. (It made the freezer smell really good)..
    Fish I’ve been catching & Filleted throughout the year..
    2 pounds of Crabmeat (Blue crab Back-fin) I had caught myself..
    1 qt. of Shucked oysters, in a container for Turkey Day.
    1 Turkey…
    5 pounds of Scallops…
    I’m so BENT-out-of Shape ATM….
    I wanting to go off on a certain Plumbers Helper…
    I need a VALIUM ATM.. 😉

• smiley says:

need a lawyer

• duchess01 says:

No, CR42 – you do not need an evil drug to recoup your sanity – my suggestions –

PRAY for guidance – ASK God for His Help –
      SEARCH for a ‘Small Claims Court’ in your area –
      FILL OUT paperwork (include your list and cost of loss) –
      FILE CLAIM – and PRAY –
      THANK JESUS for blessings received and prayers answered –

God Go With You and Bless You abundantly!

We will all ADD our PRAYERS, CR42!

• auscitizenmom says:

Good advice.

• duchess01 says:

Hopefully, he will take it – anger solves no problems – prayer and action will – imho

• auscitizenmom says:

Such a shame and the man should be held responsible.

• duchess01 says:

If for some reason the claim is denied – forgiveness is in order – the company is liable for the errors of its employees – I believe they are insured for losses – however, God will correct the loss through prayer for CR42 – after all – vengeance is mine saith the Lord – if we just ASK and then – leave it up to God – we will find comfort and peace –

A Treeper’s dog suffered injury due to an accident caused by a neighbor – someone suggested he/she ask neighbor to help with vet expenses – it would be the right thing to do – even if it was an accident –

However, this plumber was negligent – the loss was massive considering most people live from paycheck to paycheck these days – Small Claims Court was designed for situations such as these – so I am praying CR42 looks into it –

• Bugsdaddy says:

Amen

• annieoakley says:

I don’t blame you one bit. That is horrible.

• Dan P. says:

I think you need a small claims lawsuit against the plumber and his “helper”. More than likely, you can recoup much of your losses. Give the plumbing guy a chance to stand up and pay the bill first. If he chickens out sue him to the WALL! Most states allow small value lawsuits to be handled in “Small Claims Court”. If you get nowhere, then a full blown suit is in order.

• Minnie says:

So sorry that someone’s ineptitude caused such loss for you.

Excellent advice from the Treepers.

May I add, retain that receipt and document the loss – photos, lots of photos!!

Contact your local Better Business Bureau to file complaint and suggestion (legal action) for reimbursement from the “plumber” for his negligence.

19. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.”
    1 Corinthians 6:20 (KJV)

20. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

21. Nikki/Chico says:

Psalms 34:28
    The Lord is close to the broken-hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

John 10:28-30New King James Version (NKJV)

28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. 30 I and My Father are one.”

Revelation 5:13
    To Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, be blessing and honor and glory and dominion forever and ever.

May the Lord bless you today and always sweet treepers

❤️🌹

22. Today is Columbus Day – slowly but surely the pc and sjw (intentionally left lower case) crowd are trying to erase this holiday. Why did they not pick out another day? To me, this is a thinly veiled attempt to erase part of the cultural heritage of the US. Am I wrong in my thinking?

23. medamorphus says:

This is really strange….Guy kills himself and his daughter after being questioned by the FBI after the Vegas shooting….

• auscitizenmom says:

The way the article reads is “he shot his daughter and himself in the back of the head.” I don’t know if that is what the writer meant, but if it is, it is even stranger.

• medamorphus says:

Committing suicide by shooting yourself in the back of the head with a shotgun is something that would be extremely difficult if not impossible to do. Don’t know if this was what the writer really meant to write or not.

• Linda says:

Wow…really interesting. Read somewhere, someone’s theory, that Steve Paddock was some CIA undercover operative (or patsy). After reading about John Bielman (US News)…makes sense when you connect the dots. So much corruption…nothing more to say! Won’t hear this on MSM.

• vicschick says:

Weird!! The article also called Stephen Paddock a “CIA gun runner.”

• medamorphus says:

Yes, I tried to corroborate that on the web, but couldn’t. That being said, the writer didn’t just pull that out of his hat…what caused him to write those specific words?? Don’t know, but was hopping someone here could answer these questions.

• Sunshine says:

There is nothing about this anywhere. Only repeated on irrelevant websites.

24. Don says:

A city discusses dumping COLUMBUS DAY for indigenous peoples day. during the discussion it gets confusing as one elected person says indigenous people are not the same as American Indians. Screwy liberal logic on display.

25. MTeresa says:

Pray for the people in Northern California affected by wildfires.

26. oldiadguy says:

Something to keep you up at night.

And then there is this…….

“At the stroke of midnight on Black Friday, as cyber-shoppers storm the portals of Best Buy for deep discounts on the latest consumer electronics from Bangladesh, Navy personnel staffing the Space Surveillance Telescope at Exmouth, Western Australia, choke on their coffees as their panoramic screens of the southern sky suddenly blip to black. Thousands of miles away at the U.S. CyberCommand’s operations center in Texas, Air Force technicians detect malicious binaries that, though hacked anonymously into American weapons systems worldwide, show the distinctive digital fingerprints of China’s People’s Liberation Army.

In what historians will later call the “Battle of Binaries,” CyberCom’s supercomputers launch their killer counter-codes. While a few of China’s provincial servers do lose routine administrative data, Beijing’s quantum satellite system, equipped with super-secure photon transmission, proves impervious to hacking. Meanwhile, an armada of bigger, faster supercomputers slaved to Shanghai’s cyberwarfare Unit 61398 blasts back with impenetrable logarithms of unprecedented subtlety and sophistication, slipping into the U.S. satellite system through its antiquated microwave signals.

The first overt strike is one nobody at the Pentagon predicted. Flying at 60,000 feet above the South China Sea, several U.S. carrier-based MQ-25 Stingray drones, infected by Chinese “malware,” suddenly fire all the pods beneath their enormous delta wingspans, sending dozens of lethal missiles plunging harmlessly into the ocean, effectively disarming those formidable weapons.

Determined to fight fire with fire, the White House authorizes a retaliatory strike. Confident their satellite system is impenetrable, Air Force commanders in California transmit robotic codes to a flotilla of X-37B space drones, orbiting 250 miles above the Earth, to launch their Triple Terminator missiles at several of China’s communication satellites. There is zero response.

In near panic, the Navy orders its Zumwalt-class destroyers to fire their RIM-174 killer missiles at seven Chinese satellites in nearby geostationary orbits. The launch codes suddenly prove inoperative.

As Beijing’s viruses spread uncontrollably through the U.S. satellite architecture, the country’s second-rate supercomputers fail to crack the Chinese malware’s devilishly complex code. With stunning speed, GPS signals crucial to the navigation of American ships and aircraft worldwide are compromised.”

Something to consider?

Take Care and Stay Safe

27. yy4u says:

Drudge has a headline from the WSJ “The President Without a Party”.

YA THINK? So the brain children of the WSJ finally “get” that we “got” two years ago that there was only ONE party in the USA — The Donor Party of DC.

Until DJT came along, the Republicans campaigned every two to four to six years as “Republicans” when, in fact, they were Democrats wearing flag pins. That was the reason why even when Democrats lost the elections, their agenda got passed. IT WAS BECAUSE THERE WAS NO REPUBLICAN PARTY.

If we needed any further proof, McCain, Murkowski, Collins delivered it on health care. How different was THEIR votes from the Democrats’ votes? If they hadn’t been “allowed” to vote no (because two had just been reelected to another six year term and the other (Collins) never voted Republican to begin with) who might have done it? Corker? Flake?

We have been had folks and we just woke up. Now the Republicans are either going to have to admit their Democrats and take a chance that a real Republican will take their seat or get in line with the president’s REPUBLICAN agenda.

28. oldiadguy says:

As a followup to my previous comment, most folks believe that President Trump will have all the leverage when he meets with China’s leaders In November. The Chinese may have a different idea. The People’s Liberation Army (PLA) plays a big part in Chinese life as evidenced by these two videos.

According to some accounts, the name of the song is “The day will come.” The theme of the song is that the PLA will be ready and prepared to protect China and it’s people.

The second video is interesting as it has two themes. That China is ready to provide humanitarian aid to the world (UN) and is ready to use force to keep or restore the peace. Notice the “band of brothers” imagery?

China is making diplomatic moves around the globe, it has it’s forces involved in a number of humanitarian and peace keeping missions around the world and China is letting everyone know it. China produced the next video in 2017 for global consumption as it has a voice over in English. Since this video is rather long, I put the link within quotation marks. If you are interested in the seeing the video, just remove the quotation marks.

“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkTysUtR27Y”

Again the themes are humanitarian, peacekeeping and fighting terrorism.

China also has a number of recruitment videos that match those in the U.S., one having a rap beat. If anyone is interested, I can post one or two a day.

Take Care and Stay Safe

29. Victor Adam Smith says:

FYI

Who’s Funding the Anti-Trump Resistance? The Money Trail Leads Back to Soros
    Posted by Fuzzy Slippers Sunday, October 8, 2017 at 8:00pm

“The Washington Free Beacon broke the story revealing the donors of the anti-Trump “resistance.” The donation list is revealing on a number of levels. It shows the extensive, spider-web inter-connectivity of a network of leftist radicals and organizations, and it shows how they ensnare major corporations into financially supporting their radical, anti-American aims.

The list includes the usual suspects like George Soros and some suspects new to the political activist realm, namely, the NFL players’ union who were happy to join Soros in his latest astroturf efforts, manufacturing the appearance of wide-spread anti-Trump “resistance.”

Predictably, the “grassroots” and “spontaneous” women’s march wasn’t so grassroots, after all. It may have started as such, but things changed rather quickly. Ultimately, more than 50 groups, PACs, and assorted organizations backed by billionaire agitator George Soros were deeply involved in the march.

A self-declared “life-long liberal Democrat who voted for Trump” uncovered the tangled web of the money trail for the New York Times. Asra Q. Nomani explains that “the march really isn’t a ‘women’s march.’ It’s a march for women who are anti-Trump. As someone who voted for Trump, I don’t feel welcome . . . .”

Part of the problem, she contends, is that the march is neither the spontaneous grassroots rallying cry for women nor the nonpartisan love-fest it was portrayed as being. She decided to “follow the money” and discover what, if anything, that would reveal.
    ……

30. duchess01 says:

PHOTOS! Massive fires in Napa and Sonoma burn hundreds of homes and businesses, force evacuations, close hospitals

By Peter Fimrite, Jill Tucker, Kurtis Alexander and Demian Bulwa
    SFGATE

• Lucille says:

When the then-vacant downtown Los Angeles Federal Reserve Building interior caught fire many years ago, the LAFD simply had to let it burn. It was akin to a foundry furnace inside. The building was impenetrable–walls being reinforced and very thick, like the fortress it was. Obviously the interior was a total loss, but the building itself was completely salvageable.

31. aredtailblog says:

Happy Colombus Day, and for the folks of Scandanavian origin, Happy Leif Erickson Day.

To the folks on the news this morning who demand the holiday be called Indegenous People Day, grow up.

32. czarowniczy says:

MSM’s rather ignoring it but today’s the 50th anniversary of the execution of Che Guevara. On 9 October 1967 Felix Rodriguez and a Bolivian Sergeant hosed him down with an M-2 and eased him from his status as a rabid revolutionary to a pop culture t-shirt icon. Roast in hell, Che.

33. citizen817 says:

34. czarowniczy says:

Apparently not content with helping China bury us it seems Walmart’s moved on to helping NK build its arsenal: http://nypost.com/2017/10/04/americans-may-be-propping-up-north-korea-by-buying-salmon-at-walmart/
    What’s left to say?

35. Lucille says:

Hans Zimmer – A Small Measure Of Peace

36. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

And, Lord, we pray for all the people who have been affected by the earthquakes and hurricanes.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

37. Ddanna says:

Amen

38. Lucille says:

Planned Parenthood Spends Almost 10X More Money Buying Political Influence Than the NRA
    By MICAIAH BILGER OCT 9, 2017

39. fleporeblog says:

1/ I am leaving 4 intense days in DC & now have a very different theory of what's going on in HC. Will tweet soon.Follow if interested.— Andy Slavitt (@ASlavitt) October 5, 2017

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js