Hurricane Irma Morning Update…

The entire state of Florida is still in the forecast cone; with a slight shift eastward. However, the path is very uncertain as all models depend on a right, northward, turn and it’s a guess when/if that turn to the right takes place.

At 500 AM AST (0900 UTC), the center of Hurricane Irma was located near latitude 20.0 North, longitude 68.3 West. Irma is moving toward the west-northwest near 17 mph (28 km/h), and this general motion is expected to continue with some decrease in forward speed for the next couple of days.

On the forecast track, the center should pass north of the coast of Hispaniola later today, be near the Turks and Caicos and southeastern Bahamas by this evening, and then be near the Central Bahamas by Friday. –ADVISORY LINK

Maximum sustained winds are near 180 mph (285 km/h) with higher gusts. Irma is a category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Some fluctuations in intensity are likely during the next day or two, but Irma is forecast to remain a powerful category 4 or 5 hurricane during the next couple of days. (more)

This entry was posted in Hurricane Irma, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

362 Responses to Hurricane Irma Morning Update…

1. CommonSenseConservativeFL says:

Pinellas County has issued a mandatory evacuation for Zone A starting Friday at 6 a.m. Zones B and C being considered for Saturday.

2. Pam says:

3. Bruce says:

link for Turks and Caicos islands. This landfall will show the strength of the storm eye wall in real time. Wind and rain amounts. There are several stations around this area if one goes out.

4. Pam says:

5. Pam says:

6. Pam says:

7. Pam says:

8. Pam says:

9. Pam says:

10. Pam says:

11. andyocoregon says:

Evacuees driving to safety with lots of cash had better bring a handgun with them for protection. Criminals are very aware they’ll probably be carrying a bundle of money and they’ll take the opportunity to take it from them.

12. amwick says:

So,,, just a thought. The flex seal in a spray can, the stuff you see on TV, can be used to seal a door… like sandbags… I cannot find the video,,, but it worth having on hand. Probably not for 8ft of water, but six inches or a foot??? Good luck peeps….

13. Texian says:

To those who may be staying that are east of I-95.. you are going ot get your asses kicked.. for around twelve hours.. I have been through hurricanes on land and at sea.. Go to the local dive shop and buy a wet suit.. really.. it provides protection from abrasions and is bouyant.. it’s cheap insurance.. if you are flooded and your house starts to collapse or disintegrate, where ya gonna go?

Personally I would take my chances and just bail out if needed.. fight it out one on one in a wetsuit and vest/bcd in the water.. (when you are south of the eye, grab a tree or something so the outflow doesn’t take you out to sea..).

14. Bunny says:

Update from me @ MacDill. My husband is taking me to my aunts house 24 miles west. She is more than 60ft above sea level, good solid home, two generators, weapons, dogs. Plenty of food.

Howie, if you are around, are you heading to PCB?
    Please be safe whatever you do.

I’m praying for all of us, continuously throughout the hours. Much love to you all.

15. Bob Thoms says:

If I was in Miami; I would be on my way to Pensacola or other points northwest outta FL…..about 9 hour drive time normally………….675 miles….that means refueling, a scenario that is impossible?

16. Bob Thoms says:

There is availability on ferry boats from Miami to Bimini – $218 round trip; maybe that is the evac route to take…………….I think Bermuda is not in the path. 2 hour ferry ride.

17. Pam says:

18. Alex says:

I’m a bit concerned over this storm. I’m in Miami and we look to be in line for a direct hit. I pray…and ask all of my fellow treepers to pray that God blow Irma a bit further east and spare the mainland a direct hit.

I’m pretty sure that we will physically be ok…and maybe a couple of weeks of living primatively isn’t the worst thing in the world….but there are a lot of people who depend on modern conveniences to survive.

I believe my family and I will be ok. Please pray for those that are not as strong.

God bless treepers.

Sundance…i check this site for all my updates…including weather now. Thank you for the amazing job you do

• Pam says:

I’m on the SE coast of NC and so we are monitoring it closely as well. I totally understand your fear and concerns. I will certainly be praying for everyone in this storms path.

Please stay safe!

19. Pam says:

20. Pam says:

21. duchess01 says:

Great Job, Pam! Thanks for all of the updates! God Bless You!

22. Pam says:

23. Pam says:

24. Pam says:

25. LW says:

Irma just shifted to the west. European model has it going to sw florida. If that happens I’m in the path. Yikes!

26. John Juan says:

Interstate 16 out of Savannah is a parking lot. 95 is not much better. Mandatory evacuation slated for Saturday at 8am. Hopefully, contra flow of 16 will start tomorrow to alleviate west bound traffic.

27. El Torito says:

I figured it out. All these “experts” are using the SPLITTER strategy against Irma.

28. ytaca says: