#TexasStrong

Via National Weather Service: Preliminary data from at least one Texas rain gauge appears to have broken the Texas tropical cyclone rainfall record and a new contiguous United States tropical cyclone rainfall record may have also been established. Cedar Bayou, near Mont Belvieu, Texas, recorded a preliminary rainfall associated with Tropical Storm Harvey of 51.88 inches as of 3:29 pm CDT (rainfall accumulation since 7 am CDT, Friday, Aug. 25, 2017). This reading is higher than the previous record for Texas of 48 inches during tropical cyclone Amelia of 1978 in Medina, Texas.

The all-time United States tropical cyclone rainfall record of at least 52 inches occurred during tropical cyclone Hiki in Kauai, Hawaii in 1950. It is certainly still possible rainfall from Tropical Storm Harvey may exceed the all-time United States record but no official rain gauge has reported a value in excess of 52 inches as of 5 pm EDT.  (link)

This entry was posted in Hurricane Harvey, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

121 Responses to National Weather Service: Harvey Rainfall Surpasses All Known Rainfall Records on Contiguous U.S. Mainland…

1. dbethd says:

The baby & mama getting carried just make me so proud to be American.

2. sundance says:

• tax2much says:

Records get set.

I imagine the narrative at the last record was that this would never be broken.

Texans can be proud of their response to this unlike those NOLA whiners.

• xyzlatin says:

Saying that a temperature or rainfall is “highest on record” is meant to scare everyone into accepting the global warming doom and gloom scenario. The fact is, the man made records go back at best only 150 to 200 years, and even those are unreliable, as instruments and instrument readers in the past were not so accurate. If a geologist analyzing flood markings says something is the highest on record, then it is time to take note. But even then I doubt a geologist would say that, because he would know that the earth moves up and down as the tectonic plates move.
        Another scare tactic is to emphasize, “above average rainfall”, neglecting to point out that an “average” is the middle between a much higher and much lower reading. So when they say a measurement is “above average”, it may not be all that high at all.

3. doofusdawg says:

don’t look now but I think it has stalled again.

4. Minnie says:

🙏❤️🙏

5. SonFlower says:

This is a God thing.. He is reminding us in this that we are not racist, it’s a LIE. Most of us are “good samaritans” who love our neighbors, who are willing to lay down our lives for our neighbors and friends. How awesome. Texas STRONG. America STRONG. To God be the glory!

6. redtreesquirrel says:

Texas will rise from the ashes and begin anew. Just wait! There will be new buildings and innovation everywhere. President Trump is our Leader, so you know it WILL happen.

7. lastinillinois says:

That bottom picture – black lives matter.

Think we’ll see that on the nightly news?

8. listingstarboard says:

It is the tears of all of the brave Americans who have fought and died for the our Freedom–only to see the anarchy and destruction of history currently going on.

9. The images from this hurricane will be what can brings this country together again. We must not let them (I guess all the people and entities that are against President Trump) divide us.

I will spread these heroic pictures as best I can. Hope it’s ok with Sundance?

10. 6x47 says:

Yes, that’s what happens. Storms moving in from the Gulf run into the Air mass coming down from the Great plains, and these tropical storms just park right over South Texas and dump rain for days on end.

11. fleporeblog says:

Watching all the love that is being shown throughout the state of Texas by people of different skin color for one another is beyond incredible! The nation is watching and seeing all these images. Yet over a week or so ago, WE as Americans were told that race relations are at the lowest point ever in the 21st century.

I share this because the MONSTER is continuing to grow with all the Cold Anger everyday Americans are feeling. They cannot combine the stark difference between what the media is telling them from what their eyes are seeing. Their minds and hearts are realizing that what they are being told is a complete LIE versus what they are seeing. These folks may not have been part of our Monster but I truly believe they are joining it by the thousands daily.

Next year when commercials are run by Republicans that highlight this past two weeks, they will be reminded of what they know. The media, Democrats, left wing sites etc. have lied to them. Seeing Antifa in action in Berkley the same weekend that the images above were taking place will bring out their Cold Anger in ways they haven’t felt for over a year. I truly believe in my heart, they will destroy Uniparty Republicans in primaries and Democrats on Election Day.

• kokopuf says:

So true, Fleplore! The contrast between the Berkeley and Texas images is amazing and is recognized by even hard-headed Dems!

• This is the way Texans always are, at least here in rural East Texas. The things we see on TV… they are so hard to understand, here we get along, we interact, we’re polite and considerate of each other, we laugh and talk with each other, we are all Texans. I know that I don’t see race or color unless the person I’m talking with tries to make it an issue. I don’t argue, I just turn and walk away and have nothing more to do with the racist that was talking with me. Maybe it’s living in those urban jungles, which might make me hateful. The population of the closest town to me is 302 and it is 30 miles to the nearest gas station, Walmart or grocery store and the population of that town is a whopping 28,000. So maybe living on top of each other is the real problem. I truly hope the rest of the country will see some of these photos and realize this is the way you should live your life. And we do have the best Governor ever!

• fleporeblog says:

Sherry my brother and I were talking the other day and we both agreed that the South is more integrated than the North could ever imagine. I travel back and forth every other weekend from NY to Jacksonville, FL were my wife and youngest daughter live. We are 20 minutes from the GA border and my father-in-law still flies the confederate flag and calls me Yankee. I see it with my own eyes. It is amazing to be honest.

• listingstarboard says:

absolutely–there is much less racism in most of the South than in the Northeast

• sunnydaze says:

Agree about the NE and ditto for PNW.

After Katrina, some of the people from N.O. landed in Seattle. I can’t tell you how many times I heard “dang, this is pretty bad up here”.

Same thing from people I knew from Atlanta- they were dying to get back to Atlanta but had moved for a cushy job.

Not to mention friends from Kenya. (apparently the narrative has gone around the world that the South’s racist and the North’s not).

Northerners spend a lot of time and energy on telling themselves they are not racist “like those evil Southerners”. It prevents them from EVER taking a clear look at their own racism and dealing with it. They can just shove it under their “the South is racist, we’re angels” rug.

12. Brian L says:

Look at all those racists, touching people without permission. Call the ACLU!

13. citizen817 says:

14. burnett044 says:

with the liberal media we get a distorted view of America….with Texas we see the truth..
    if one asked you were the spirit of America has gone …tell the the truth of Texas…it is alive and well there

• redtreesquirrel says:

It’s alive and well here in NC too. I travel to Durham/Raleigh a lot and I believe toward the end of the Obama nightmare blacks and whites started paying even more attention to treating eachother well. We are NOT interested in tearing eachother apart. It hasn’t change a bit. I just didn’t want to brag. Now if you go around college campuses it’s a different story, but the older folks – we get it.

• G. Combs says:

DARN STRAIGHT!
        Today we had a black guy (a real sweetheart) a native American lady, Me (part Druze-Syrian) and Hubby Swede/Dane all working together, laughing and talking with no friction at all.

I rarely see bad race relations here in NC and I do children’s events every weekend. Almost all of them are mixed race.

• PatriotKate says:

Native Triad gal here and I echo your exact experiences. The entire race division agenda started under Obama. Yet, in our daily lives, we just don’t see it.

15. roxiellTX says:

I posted this link on another thread. Hope it’s ok to post again.

Live flood coverage. This station is not even taking breaks for commercials. The reporters are helping the volunteers locate people and pets who need to evacuate. There was 1 hour during the middle of the night where they had other programming but they were back on the flood at 4 am.

16. Sandra-VA says:

17. Dear media,

Those pictures… neighbors helping neighbors, friends helping friends, families helping families… THAT is America! We are not the hateful, racist, bigoted people you project us to be. We love our country, we love each other, and we come together in times of crisis. If you can’t join us then get the heck out of our country and never come back.

Sincerely,
    The American People

18. Texian says:

“I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion. And this is true to the extent that people either passionately love Texas or passionately hate it and, as in other religions, few people dare to inspect it for fear of losing their bearings in mystery or paradox. But I think there will be little quarrel with my feeling that Texas is one thing. For all its enormous range of space, climate, and physical appearance, and for all the internal squabbles, contentions, and strivings, Texas has a tight cohesiveness perhaps stronger than any other section of America. Rich, poor, Panhandle, Gulf, city, country, Texas is the obsession, the proper study, and the passionate possession of all Texans.” … John Steinbeck

• Many years ago, I brought a friend home from the Air Force based we were stationed at.
      Sunday dinner turned crazy in a matter of minutes when my dad asked what his nationality was.
      He stated with great pride he was a Texan. So my dad said no, he was from Jersey but he was Italian. So my buddy said as long as he could remember, his family were Texans.
      My dad told him to call his dad and find out. So he did.
      His mom answered and after telling her he was fine and there wasn’t a problem, he asked her. On our end the next thing you heard him say was,” No I told him that already”.
      Then he put down the phone and said she was going to ask my dad, but she’s pretty sure we’re just Texans.

There is a pride and a real sense of self that comes from people from Texas. It’s the reason I’m sure that in the end, they will get through this and will be back bigger and better than before.
      They have a way about themselves that says nothing is lost until you quit.
      They never quit. They never give up.

• RyderLee says:

Love this story ! Thank you for sharing it , areyoustillalive ! God Bless Texas and the USA !

• Zennalou says:

OMG that sounds like me. Close to 50 years ago, while my husband was stationed at Ft. Lewis, I was working at Western State Hospital. It being on the coast there were many first generation immigrants. The question of “where you from” was asked often. One day they asked me. I’m American! They laughed. It hurt my feelings.

Yes, mine have all been here so long, it just never occurred to us to answer any other way.
        Since that time, I’ve spent 35+ years obsessed with genealogy, and still can’t get all of my ancestors across the ocean.

• lokiscout says:

Same here, the origins of my family is lost in history. Those that I have been able to trace go back to the early 1600’s. Even some Native American names show up way back when. No, Unlike Senator Warren I am not Native American I’m just your average American mongrel! No hyphens just American.

19. NJF says:

Posted this earlier.

Harlan is the best.

Clip about 1 minute long

20. NJF says:

Heard on the radio that the heavy rain will miss New Orleans. Should only get 2-4 inches. Good news

• Doug says:

getting heavy bands in nola but nothing that our pumps (which are now working) cant handle).. the concern should definitely stay on texas and the possible new hurricane/tropical storm next week in the vicinity of houston and south western louisiana. hope those models showing that are wrong

21. sundance says:

22. TwoLaine says:

The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 was BAD, VERY BAD. And the flooding with it sat and sat and sat on land for months. It was B.F., before FEMA.

23. Jlwary says:

I love animals… these videos just hit me hard… thank God for these people who are so courageous in their love of All life.

24. Mike says:

All of those photos give the lie about racism in America. Trump is right. We are all brothers and sisters.

25. David R. Graham says:

Lots of white male oppression in those pictures, and white female oppression as well. And one Uncle Tom who didn’t get the memo.

Thank God for Humanity!

26. Kent says:

Rain is COMING DOWN in Port Arthur TX….has been for days and the worst existing part of the storm is in this quadrant of the southern end of Southeast Texas and over into Louisiana…..wind hasn’t been too bad here….did I mention plenty of rain?

The counties to the north of Beaumont Texas are really taking a beating…lots and lots of rain…that’s hilly country up there and like here they are already waterlogged so the drainages fill up very rapidly….

We will survive……

27. Sylvia Avery says:

After 9/11 there was a brief period of time when people really appreciated, really valued men who could do things. The men with muscles and calluses who could do physical things that helped others, like construction guys, firefighters, cops, and other occupations like that were honored because they could do the important stuff–the life or death stuff. The stuff that matters in an emergency.

The Harvey coverage brings that back. One after another I see images of regular men, so often put down and despised in our society, who are the ones out there in the filthy, toxic flood water carrying people on their backs, rescuing dogs, saving a horse, whatever it takes. Strong, courageous, determined.

Whether our society is willing to acknowledge it or not, we owe you men a big thank you. You amaze me, you humble me, and you make me so grateful. I am so sorry for the disrespect that is usually heaped on your heads, and I am so proud of the way you rise above it and show everyone when it matters most how much we need you.

Thanks guys.

28. citizen817 says:

29. WSB says:

Not. Sure if this little guy is going to get a hug and a cot…I wouldn’t pick him up, but as a furry creature from God, I wish him all the best.

NBC Dallas reporter Brian Curtis got out of his car after spotting the terrified creature huddling up against the railing of the bridge

The animal can be seen on video shaking and with a fearful expression

He was found near the Buffalo Bayou river, which has since steadied and is now taking in water from nearby overflown rivers.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4834092/Video-shows-possum-taking-refuge-Hurricane-Harvey.html#ixzz4rC75KWb7
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

30. WSB says:

And one more act of bravery…

Alexandre Jourde, 42, rescued Ethan Colman, four, on his paddle board on Monday
    The pair are neighbors in Buffalo Bayou which is under intense flooding from Harvey

Alexandre was preparing to paddle his own two children and wife out of their home when a stranger begged him to help get Ethan to safety

He paddled the boy to dry land as his own family packed up their belongings in their house which had not yet been filled with water

Jourde, an oil and gas engineer, waited with Ethan until his family – who escaped on foot – met back up with them

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4833850/Father-tells-saved-boy-paddle-board-Harvey.html#ixzz4rC9cnAeV

31. listingstarboard says:

So very glad to see these heartwarming and faith in your fellow man restoring photos–but for heavens sakes why is it ALWAYS the Daily Mail in the UK that does the reporting here? It has been that way for years it seems. Guess I am thankful that someone is covering the US more completely than our own poisoned media.

32. Missing Andrew says:

Flooding continues to occur and get worse;
    all remaining areas of Houston
    will flood even if they are not currently flooded.

USACE says this area now a “flood pool” because nothings draining. There is nowhere for the water to go because the ground is totally saturated and all streams, rivers and pods where normal storm drainage would take place, are all full.

33. Minnie says:

THIS, as the mudslime media stay focused on our First Lady’s choice of footwear.

Heartbreaking, gut-wrenching, can’t stop crying.

34. treehouseron says:

I don’t know about you folks, but I live in the Carolinas and that’s how things are here too. People of all color get along fine, work together, have friends and nobody makes a big deal about race. If I was in trouble I’m positive random strangers in this community would do whatever they could to help me.

All this race baiting has got to end. I hope President Trump is the one who finally puts an end to it.

35. Squidly says:

In order to establish a rainfall amount, one needs an accurate measure of time as well. For example, in 1979, Alvin, TX, received 43″ of rain in just 24hrs, which is a record for a 24hr period. The 52″ cited in this article is over a span of almost 96hrs. The Alvin, TX, record is far greater than the current Harvey rainfall. In 1935, Woodward Ranch, TX, received 22″ in just 2hrs 45min !! … that completely obliterates anything seen from Harvey.

Don’t be fooled by these so called “records”. One must take these things in complete context. Harvey did not set anything more than localized rainfall records.

36. lokiscout says:

I am as competitive as the next American Male but after what I see coming out of Texas right now I won’t be the least bit disappointed if they don’t get the added 0,2 inches to set a new record. Enough is enough.

• Squidly says:

I would agree with you. I get sick and tired of the media sensationalizing these things and competing for “records”. The facts are, Harvey set few, if any “records”, but the media likes to hype that sort of thing for click-bate and ratings. I would just like to see those folks dry out and recover quickly.