During an afternoon announcement with Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, President Trump announced the launch of section 301 trade investigations into China’s business practices for theft of U.S. technology and violations of U.S. intellectual property rights.

Perhaps the most overlooked portion of the remarks from President Trump happened as he sat down to sign the Presidential Memorandum authorizing the official investigation:

…This is only the beginning folks. This is only the beginning…

For approximately 30 years China has been engaged in a unidirectional trade war against the United States of America; facilitated and enabled by both Democrats and Republicans who have been purchased by multinational and corporate lobbyists to block any effort to defend our U.S. interests.  The biggest victims have been U.S. middle-class workers.

Today, for the first time in modern U.S. history, a singular President stood up and began what will be an arduous process of fighting back, defending the U.S. economy and balancing the rights of U.S. workers and companies with “fair” and “reciprocal” trade.

Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 provides the United States with the authority to enforce trade agreements, resolve trade disputes, and open foreign markets to U.S. goods and services. It is the principal statutory authority under which the United States may impose trade sanctions on foreign countries that either violate trade agreements or engage in other unfair trade practices. When negotiations to remove the offending trade practice fail, the United States may take action to raise import duties on the foreign country’s products as a means to rebalance lost concessions. (LINK)

This entry was posted in China, Donald Trump, Economy, media bias, N Korea, President Trump, Secretary of State, Secretary Tillerson, Trade Deal, Uncategorized, US dept of agriculture, US Treasury, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

204 Responses to President Trump Launching Section 301 Trade Infringement Investigation: “This is only the beginning”…

1. FofBW says:

So it begins. All that the Deep State and their ilk have feared and tried to prevent! The first big step in a long war.

• The Boss says:

Yes. And one couldn’t miss “This is just the beginning….”
      (Nor could one miss to Acosta “You’re fake news”).

• Wink says:

Beautiful!!!!!

• quintrillion says:

Did you hear what impudent Acosta said back to President Trump? Amazing the pressitutes are even allowed.

• SpanglishKC says:

I heard it it at the very end. What an effin disrespectful punk Acosta is. His credentials need to be pulled. That should not be acceptable.

• Dawna says:

This is the President of our United States. How dare acosta speak to him like that.
            I am no fan of the last holder of the office, but one must show respect.

• no-nonsense-nancy says:

What did Acosta say to the President? I listened to it again but I couldn’t make it out.

• Dawna says:

Acosta said that President Trump was fake news at the end of the conference in front of everyone.

• maiingankwe says:

Thank you for answering because I couldn’t figure out what he had said either. I cannot believe he said that. If anyone had done that to the last president we wouldn’t hear the end of it and they would’ve been fired.

I would hope journalists would hold him accountable for this, but it is doubtful.

• chbailey says:

As far as I could hear at about 3:25

Fake News-Spreading Scum: Mr. President could you explain why you did not condemn the (?) by name over the weekend.
                POTUS: I (?) them. They have been condemned.
                FNSS: And why were you not having a press conference today, you said on Friday you’d have a press conference.
                POTUS: We had a press conference. We just had a press conference.
                FNSS: Can we ask some more questions then.
                POTUS: It doesn’t bother me at all, but you know I like real news, not fake news. You’re fake news. Thank you everybody, thank you.
                FNSS: Haven’t you spread a lot of fake news yourself sir.

• MaineCoon says:

The WH needs to uphold the standards of the Office of the Presidency by not allowing such behavior. The President and The Office should be respected. As such Acosta’s WH credentials should be canceled, although, unfortunately the CNC cred shouldn’t, although it should be placed on probation with the understanding that if Acosta’s replacement is just as disrespectful the CNN WH cred will be cancelled in its entirety.

• Glenn E Stehle says:

Trump’s enemies are certainly doubling down on identity politics. If Trump can make good on his promise of “jobs, jobs, jobs,” however, all his other sins, whether real or perceived, will be forgiven by the voters.

• filia.aurea says:

Let’s rock ‘n roll..I can’t wait to see the these nasty boys at work – for US.

• chbailey says:

[…] arduous process

• Jedi9 says:

Yes I am watching very closely here in Singapore! There seems to be a shift in attitudes within my circle of peers in finance who happen to be Chinese Nationals hiding out to avoid the tentacles of the Chinese Government. I can write a book in what I know about these people, and it is obvious that Trump and his policies towards China is having an effect psychologically.

2. MadeMan says:

According to AP….

“U.S. President Donald Trump is expected later on Monday to turn up pressure on Beijing and order an investigation into some of its trade practices, though that does not necessarily signal any concrete action anytime soon”

3. “…This is only the beginning folks. This is only the beginning…”

What a wonderful time to be an American!

4. bluegirl says:

Finally a POTUS that believes in AMERICA FIRST. MAGA!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. rf121 says:

Nice to see he got rid of the ceremonial pens.

• Gil says:

Saving money. I always have thought it was a vain practice. Shows why Obama always did it I guess.

• NC PATRIOT says:

He is signing so much it would require a boatload of pens ! LOL

• Sylvia Avery says:

It irritated me the way BO would use like twenty pens to sign something so everyone could have one, sort of like a participation trophy.

And then once PDJT was elected and I found out they cost $250.00 each, I was totally scandalized. Look, I try not to be petty but why should we have to shell out money like that for something so gimmicky? I realize the expenditure is less than ledger dust, but that isn’t the point really. It is just foolish spending and that annoys me.

Sorry, I feel better now for getting that off my chest. Long way around to say, yeah, I’m glad he got rid of them, too.

• Gil says:

Holy smokes. I had no idea about that cost. I thought they were just nice bic pens with a w.h. pic on them. Scandalous.

• Sylvia Avery says:

It is such a minor thing when we throw billions hither and yon, but this is just so manifestly stupid and pretentious and such foolish stewardship of our money it annoys me.

To be fair, everything those people who used to live in Our House annoyed me. Sort of like rubbing sand paper on my exposed nerves. They breathed and it annoyed me.

• filia.aurea says:

They’re probably $25 retail pens that the geniuses in govt. procurement pay $250.00 each for, in bulk. Stupidity, corruption and indifference costs us billions annually.

• JoAnn Leichliter says:

I agree, Sylvia. If every time we went ahead and stopped spending on a program or item that “is just a tiny, tiny fraction of the budget,” we would wind up saving a lot of money. I wish I had a list of the amounts that, over the years, have been described that way when a cut is suggested. The total would be interesting. But the list would be really long.

• Sylvia Avery says:

That is something I have noticed with PDJT. Starting with cutting the spending on AF1. Okay, so it was only a multi million dollar amount. In terms of our budget, not huge. But still, I appreciated it.

And since then, he has just kept chipping away at it bit by bit. After awhile, it adds up. And just maybe it sets an example to where others in government start to look around and think, gee, we don’t need to buy this/spend this.

At any rate, I have never felt so much as though there were someone who actually cared how they were spending my money and treated it as if it were their own. I love it!

• churchmouse says:

Hello, Sylvia,

The presidential pens for 45 — and his recent predecessors — are made by Cross which now has them made in China. This article says they retail for $115, but the WH probably gets them for less:

‘Cross pens have been supplied to presidents at least since the Gerald Ford administration, said [Andy] Boss, whose great-grandfather bought the writing instruments manufacturer a century ago.

‘The company, sold to a private equity firm in 2013, was once a major Rhode Island employer but now makes most of its pens in China. It still tries to put an American imprint on the presidential pens, which are lacquered and engraved in China but go through their final assembly in Rhode Island using a mix of domestic and foreign parts …

‘The White House didn’t return emailed requests for comment this week about the cost of the pens and whether it matters to Trump where the pens are made. The manufacturer’s suggested retail price is $115 per pen, but Boss said it’s sold to the White House through a third-party distributor that is likely to have offered a discount.’

• Sylvia Avery says:

Thanks for the info! I read a piece several months ago that said we paid $250.00 apiece for them. I was shocked.

I have a family member who sort of has a thing for high end pens so I am somewhat familiar with the market and $250.00 seemed quite high to me which is why the bit of info stuck in my mind. But I read a lot so I have no idea where I read it.

$115.00 per pen seems more in line with what I would expect to pay. However, I still think think it is a frivolous and pretentious custom, personally. But that’s just me. Undoubtedly there are others who find it a charming ritual.

• churchmouse says:

Yes, but the man from Cross said the White House probably got a further discount.

Plus, even if a distributor is involved, Cross gets great publicity from this.

Being given a pen that the President used officially would be yuge. I would enjoy having one, especially from 45 (42 through 44 not at all).

Thanks for the reply. Have a good evening. MAGA!

• Jedi9 says:

I served as a private contractor in Iraq from 2007 to 2009, and I know first hand what wasteful spending looks like by the US government.

For example:
            Haliburton made a boat load of money from their catering services alone. Every time a soldier or private contractor went to the DFAC and swiped their CAC card, they were charged $28.00 per use. The items on the menu were things like Lobsters and steak on Fridays, gourmet sandwiches, Currie beef and vegetables, Pizza, Chinese cuisine and an array of other assorted exotic dishes available to choose from. In fact it was estimated the average soldier upon arriving in Iraq when deployed gained 15 pounds on average in weight. Operation Iraqi freedom was the best fed war in US history. That is just for starters. Lets not mention the billeting services, the Housing units such as CHU’s and various other perks soldiers enjoyed while stationed in Iraq.

Another good example is “T-Walls” (see pic) in which the US government was paying 10,000 per slab. Now any reasonable person wouldn’t assume that such items like a T-Wall single slab would cost $10,000 would they?

Anyway, glad Trump is trying to putting a stop to this nonsense that has been going on for decades!

• Jedi9 says:

(Sorry for the Grammar mistake) “Anway. glad Trump is trying to put a stop to this nonsense! This has been going on for decades and hope it stops! Is it no wonder that the costs associated with the war is in the trillions?

Another example of the T-Walls and Chu’s that were used in “Operation Iraqi Freedom” campaign.

• Sylvia Avery says:

Anyone who has had experience with government at a certain level probably has a similar story to tell, although I sure appreciated hearing yours.

I am sure the President will continue to take this on.

• G. Combs says:

At 20 pens a signing that is 5,000 a pop. Obama signed 44 E.O.s (Trump has signed 45 so far) that would be $220,000 for EOs

Then add in the 37 law signing statements = $185,000….

So you are talking around a 1/2 billion or more for trophy PENS and that is just a conservative estimate.

A billion here, a billion there and all of a sudden you are talking REAL money. 😁

• Sylvia Avery says:

Wow, thanks for running the numbers! It does add up, doesn’t it? Churchmouse found an article disputing the $250.00 figure I had cited, identifying it as $115.00 or perhaps less, but even at that it does add up! I’m sure the money could be better spent…

• uvaldegirl says:

A return to common sense and getting after things.

• Oldschool says:

I never could figure that out.

6. frank field says:

The White House a little fib today saying this has nothing to do with the full denuclearization of North Korea. Me thinks it does and I LOVE our President for it!

DRAIN IT

7. M33 says:

Are we sure China isn’t trying to use NK as leverage to get us to stop protecting Taiwan?
    Maybe that’s China’s real endgame?

8. Publius2016 says:

Real news all the time: TNN TRUMP NETWORK NEWS

9. n1ghtcr4wler says:

Of course very fake newser Acosta had to ask stupid shit at the end

• Niagara Frontier says:

This topic is so far over Acosta’s head, I suspect CNN will pull him from his WH post in short order.

• i'm just sayin'.. says:

CNN last Friday evening’s prime time viewership under 1 million. Barely 900k watched in 9 p.m. slot. The downward death spiral continues. Even the brain dead are leaving CNN. Let them (Acosta etc.) be shrill. It may facilitate the opening of the eyes of a few of the remaining and the rest, who stay, will forever be tormented by an incessant buzzing in the heads that they cannot get rid of.
        CNN has reached irrelevance. Less than 1 in 300 Americans watch CNN in prime time. Think about that. How many people live in your neighborhood or building. Think about how many houses or apartments represent 300 people and then consider that from those homes 1 person is watching CNN in prime time. Nobody cares what CNN has to say. They are out of gas and the only reason they are still moving is because they are going downhill. Nothing can save them.

• M33 says:

And if you subtract the hospitals, airports, and military bases that play their channel, what is the actual number of viewers?

• Some Old Guy says:

1, I think you’d be left only with Jim Acosta’s mother. 😉

• maiingankwe says:

M33,
            I’ve been wondering about that lately, if they didn’t have the airports, how many viewers would they really have? I didn’t know about military installations and the rest you had mentioned, so thank you. It certainly seems their numbers would be far lower.

There are a considerable number of tv’s in one airport, so adding all of the airports up would be difficult. I do believe they are only international airports since I know of one, CWA, which has theirs either on the weather channel or local channel since Dr. Phil seems to be on every time I leave or return.

I have also asked multiple people who work in an international airport how we can get their channel changed, and not one ever seems to know the answer. If they are wearing an airport ID, I’ve more than likely asked them. If anyone here knows, I’d love to know the answer, so I can direct my grievances to them and let every single person I know to do the same as well as every conservative website I can think of.

I believe if there are enough people writing or calling, we could get CNN removed and they may just go out of business or be severely hurt, either is good for me. I’m sure it’s done by contract, and contracts always seem to expire over a certain time period.

I’ve asked a lot of times on different websites and no one seems to know, it’s like a well guarded secret. I’m so tired of it. So yeah, if our voices can get them out of airports and so forth, it would make me a very happy camper.

If anyone knows, I’d greatly appreciate the help in the right direction.

Be well,
            Ma’iingankwe

• kroesus says:

I would think there is a manager of airport services (Skycaps, retail shops, handicap assistance and such that would handle that as well)

• maiingankwe says:

I tried all of the above except management. They can usually be found upstairs which you need a code to enter. I’ve tried airport security, retail, ticket counters, airline employees who take your boarding passes, janitorial, and even ones I thought to be managers because of their ID’s around their neck. I’ve also tried luggage handlers and the mechanics who work on the planes.

I used to spend a great deal of time in airports traveling. It started out every other month for about two years to every month for less than a year up until my Dad passed away February 27th of this year. I would get bored, so I figured asking people could help pass the time, which it did. Lots of interesting conversations and lots of getting rebuffed. It was all good, I would usually get a good chuckle rather than get angry.

Next time one of you are in a airport, please feel free to ask an assortment of employees. I think you will get the same answers as I have. If not, please let us know, so we can move forward in getting CNN removed. Plus, I would be the first to celebrate anyone’s success in this endeavor.
                Be well,
                Ma’iingankwe

• roy1982blog says:

And a certain percent of that million are just doctors offices that just have it on. Another percent of that million are people like us that watch for the entertainment purposes of criticizing their reporting.

• Tegan says:

General Kelly needs to have a ” come to Jesus” meeting with Acosta AND his CNN Bisses. Then…pull his press creditionals to the WH. This disrespect must not be tolerated!

• CNN will not go under. It’s not there to make a profit. It’s there to be a propaganda outlet, and the globalists will pay for it.

More so, CNN is worldwide. They are more relevant in pushing propaganda around the world. People there take them seriously. Just as well they can’t vote. The only people CNN influence are those who don’t live in the country to know any better.

Finally. Every time you are in an airport, complain to the management about CNN being on the TV. Tell your friends to do so too. It is the airports coverage which gives the illusion that this is a watched and relevant news outlet. Tell them you refuse to spend at the airport until they change the channel. Annoy them, consume their time, and harass them about it. Make stickers that say “Fake news”, and stick them on the TV screens.

Find out who advertises on CNN and boycott their merchandise.

• Tegan says:

Spent 4 hours in doctor’s office this afternoon waiting for family member’s surgical procedure…happy to report they did NOT have CNN on….in fact last several medical offices did not. Our voices matter, folks…keep it up!

• listingstarboard says:

When I worked in the hospital in Outpatient Surgery i always changed the waiting room channel to Fox News–back when they supported the Conservative and Republican views. Course that was when Mccain ran against Obama lol. Just saying that the person with access to the waiting room remote has the ultimate say haha.

• BeePee says:

And then it’s probably the airport TV.

• WeThePeople2016 says:

He is disgusting. He has absolutely no respect for the Office of the Presidency. I don’t know why they keep letting him in there, unless, they know he will make a fool of himself and that Trump will put him in his place every time.

• bkrg2 says:

enough of this Acosta nonsense!
      This little turd craps all over Trump and our country every day at these press events.
      Today, Trump protects all IP and workers and that moron asks about Charlottesville & why no press conf, then calls Trump fake news.
      Does anyone know what the rule or protocol is for press? Can we contact COS Kelly or someone to remove this idiot?

I say 1 stupid question gets a private warning
      2nd stupid question is a 2 week timeout
      3rd strike and you’re out

10. as our idiot ex-VP Biden said, “This is a big fn deal.”

11. WonkoTheSane says:

I posted this a few days ago, but I think it’s worth re-posting here:

I’m so glad to see the issue of intellectual property come to the fore, and I hope that people see just how important this issue is, and what it can and will to to restore wealth to main street. There are Chinese companies ripping off names, designs and logos of American products and flooding them into the US. It’s bad enough they are stealing, but they rip off the buyer and hurt the American companies reputation with their sub – par products. One small example here: (you may have to log in to fb to see it)

And don’t get me started about what is happening domestically to American artists, particularly musicians and songwriters. In short, the DMCA is a joke and Google/youtube et.al. are making unfathomable profits off works other people created and without their permission. I’m always quick to bash Kim Dotcom when that low life’s name pops up. One reason is this is how he amassed his fortune — for which he has been indicted.

The reason I stress the music theft is because out is close to my heart. I’ve recorded dozens of songs and will continue to record, but until congress protects my work (as they have the enumerated power to do laid out in Article 1 Section 8 of our Great Constitution) it will remain on my old tape machines, on my computer and a few CDs I’ve given to friends and asked them not to share. There is a solution to the issue, but it requires the congress critters to give a $#!*

• tonyE says:

About ten years ago this little American audio equipment company based in Seattle was forced to have their products built in China is they were to be competitive.

However, being aware of the IP theft, they cunningly put a bunch of critical components in a potted module (components buried in an acrylic cube). They shipped the parts and instructions to China and a description of the component the the potted module (so the Chinese plant would build that).

When the amplifiers were received in Seattle, the first thing they did was open them up replace the potted parts with the real ones. You see, the ones the Chinese saw made this into a pretty bad sounding amplifier.

Soon thereafter, bad sounding counterfit amplifiers started to show in the market and the American Company warned people of it and guided them to their own dealer network.

I don’t know how much money the Americans saved by building in China, but it was very smart of them to protect their IP.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Wow. THAT is wild. And a lesson in how to deal with China.

• WSB says:

I worked for a company that designed the Great Wall Hotel in Beijing, and two other small hotels outside the city center at the same time. It was a joint venture with the Chinese Travel Industry…the Chinese Government.

They did not protect their intellectual wealth. The Chinese stole concrete, mirrored drawings to build a third small hotel at night, renegged on the management of a 1000 room, seven restaurant hotel with Sheraton, and completely ruined the hotel with fiflth within seven months.

Sheraton had to come back in and basically fumagate and refurbish the entire place so the Chinese would not lose face on a failure for tourism.

• WonkoTheSane says:

I love this story. Yep, an inferior op-amp, transistor and/or transformer here or there can ruin an otherwise quality circuit. Somehow this reminded me of the story of the chimney builder who, when asked to build on credit, would put a piece of glass in the chimney. Inevitably he would be called to return in the winter when the first fire smoked up the house, but he could demand payment before he dropped a brick down the flue.

• Ruth says:

You are right. This is stealing of a person’s labor and just like stealing his gold! What we earn is our prize pusession.

• boogywstew says:

Amazing isn’t it … the disconnect? You love an artist’s music so much that you go out of your way to find it … but then you steal it from them!!! When Stevie Nicks tour bus breaks down in front of my house and I invite the lot of them into my abode for refreshments while they wait on a wrecker … Stevie will see I own most of her music and none of it is bootlegged! I even own “Buckingham Nicks” … the only album she and Lindsey ever did together as a couple … on vinyl … store bought!!! I’ll let her have her way with me.

• Ted says:

My first post :). CT is my go to news and info. Huge Sundance fan and always read the comments. Here’s mine.

I spend about 5-6 month a year in Indonesia since mid 2000. So I write with some historical perspective and observation. The big malls built here over the past 10 years are full of name brand products … everything looks legit … big bold advertising right in your face. These are no back alley stores pawning off knock offs. Nothing is up to true quality standards. My girlfriend complains the stuff I bring to her from USA is way better in quality than the same exact product here. Even me. The local Gillette Fusion razor is lighter, shaves poorly etc. All of it is 30-60% quality cut crap. Note – the prices are as much and often more expensive than the US version of the products. Now here is the rub.

I used to wonder – where is Tag Haier, Guess, Clinique etc … ? Why don’t they get in here and protect their product? I mean it is so obvious. So easy. So in your face. This isn’t like small dark store “whack a mole” – they close and reopen across the street. These are damn huge MALLS!

Well – I now believe the product corporations are not fighting this because THEY are manufacturering this crap! Think about it. The corporations get to cut their quality, sell it for the same or greater amount as USA , never put it on sale. The 99% of masses of the local market people have no idea what the “pure true quality is like”. They believe they are buying 1st quality. Meanwhile the global corporations (now merged with the Chinese bootleggers) are smiling bigly – they use less raw materials, sell a cheaper product for greater profit pulling the wool over the eyes of the local population. They are also conditioning a local population level of expectation that is much lower than the original product. With these nice new profit margins they are able to satisfy all the levels of local and national corruption. I also believe the Globalits are in the process of slowly (if possible imperceptibly) dialing back the quality of there products in Western societies, like USA. Slowly and generationally conditioning the next generation to accept the lower quality products. Perfectly fits the Globalist agenda, money, power, control of the market, control of earth resources, and metting those resources to the masses as they deem appropriate “Green” AND the elimination of competition.

• Malatrope says:

So, the companies should play Whack-A-Mall instead of Whack-A-Mole…

• copperchief says:

I have most assuredly noticed the dialing back of quality in products sold in the USA. I remember when leather goods were the quality standard in shoes, hand bags, and belts, to name a few. Now it seems in even more upscale stores these are getting more difficult to find.

• buckeyejames says:

Hey Ted, and welcome! I’m relatively new to posting (as opposed to lurking) on CTH myself. Just thought I’d throw in my two cents on the fake merchandise topic.

My Asian experience is not nearly as extensive as yours, but I have been on a couple of trips to China in the past two years. One of my wife’s favorite stops in the Chinese capitol is the Silk Market, aka the Beijing Knockoff Mall. It’s like an old-school department store–nine floors, each mostly dedicated to one product category (e.g., jeans on the 4th floor, electronics on 3, shoes on 7, etc.)—but the merchandise is almost all fake.

I’ve been there twice. Both times the place was crawling with Westerners. Wife has been there so much that some of the sellers remember her. (“You tough American lady! I not make money from you!”)

And, most vendors are pretty up-front about what they are selling. (“Yes it’s fake, but it’s a good fake!” “Best quality fake! How many you buy?”) My guess would be at least 80 percent of the merch is bootleg, with the remainder having fallen off a truck or being factory “over-runs.”

You get what you pay for, and you’re generally paying a small fraction (maybe 10 percent, maybe less) of the cost of “real” luxury items. It’s like a sport for her…she loves the give-and-take needed to get the best price.

Me? Not so much.

I won’t hazard a guess as to why western companies don’t bother trying to crack down on the fake merchandise. But I do believe there are very real and HUGE differences between most of the crap sold at Silk Market and the authentic goods.

God bless America and god bless our magnificent President Trump! MAGA!

• Ted says:

Thanks Buckeyejames. Yes, you describe the China black market landscape well. The Globalists can’t yet wrassle that domestic communist feral hog into submission. But if they succeed in stopping our President, they will bring even China to heel.

• GreySteward says:

My observations from working at a fortune 100 manufacturing company has been that there is very little economic benefit from manufacturing in China, except as a path to entry into the Chinese market. If an honest assessment of the total return on an investment was done, my company is billions in the red. But that will never show on the income statement because these losses are not lost dollars, but lost businesses entirely. Being one of those multinational companies, there are many business units making and selling to different markets. As part the licensing aspect, some brilliant business managers get the bright ideas to build a production line in China. What happens next is that within a year their is a duplicate built across the road that is much larger and totally undercuts the pricing leads to a complete loss of a product line. The new trick China has been pushing the last several years has been forcing companies to locate R&D centers in China. Now China doesn’t have to worry about doing corporate espionage in the U.S., they can do it directly from their own country with direct access to the U.S. corporate servers. Several more IP intensive manufacturing technologies just waked right out the front door to the black market. When these initiatives first started I asked a corporate attorney what I was missing because this seemed to be rather poor judgement given the known IP risks and the focus on data driven decision making. His answer was shocking. I had not missed anything, but rather I assumed both the risk and reward factors had been included in the decision modeling. Actually the IP risk was intentionally left out so the model conclusion would give the right answer. Thus, I continue to be amazed at how companies like mine stay in business with that kind of decision making. MAGA really is about the come back of small US based companies that can profitably make low volume, high quality products meant to last longer than the warranty.

• Tegan says:

You are absolutely correct. Most of the discount malls you see featuring “brand names” have items that are made specifically for these discounted stores. Think Ralph Lauren, for example. If you know how to read the codes, you’ll see it’s a “seconds” quality…something you will soon discover if you attempt to take it back to a regular store. The sales clerks simply have to look at the code.

• mireilleg says:

I went to Japan in 1968. At the Time Japan was a global competitor for world marketing. We did not see much made in China then but a lot of made in Japan. Nikkon was hardly a household name in cameras, but Rolloflex a German camera was very much in demand and copied. Japan like China had very little innovation and they copied what other companies made. Improved on them a little, but essentially most of the Asian manufacturing has been on the back of stolen intellectual property.

• WonkoTheSane says:

Oh, and one more thing. If this administration wants to snipe some more votes from the left, protecting creative works will do just that. I follow many groups who are tired of their work being shared by other people for free on youtube, and tired of the measly checks they get from streaming services (i.e $15 for over one million streams). Almost all of them are lefties and choose not to see that groogle was in tight with the last administration and lobbying congress to steal them blind. Enable them to make money again and I’m pretty sure the light would come on. I don’t know for sure though…the lefty brain is a mysterious machine.

• Grandpa M says:

Wonko, the lefty brain is just a pile of scrambled neurons. I have a scientific proof that liberalism is a mental disease. We had a friend, nice Christian conservative lady. She rode bikes. After totaling a pickup truck with her had (she miraculously survived it) the brain damage turned her into a raving lunatic dumbocrap supporting b*tch.

• georgiafl says:

The Democrat party has been called the PTSD party – people from severely dysfunctional families therefore their thinking is skewed and living dysfunctional lives.

• “…the lefty brain is a mysterious machine.”.
        Mysterious? Yes. Machine? Malfunctioning.

12. progpoker says:

Checked the link on the Section 301 link. Pretty sparse history. The only active retaliation dates back to 1999. Why even have a toolbox if you’re not going to use the tools??

13. M33 says:

Trump really is the best president in my lifetime. He says it like it is and takes no shit from anyone.

Love him calling out CNN as once again Fake News!!

14. Wow! “In an unprecedented move against North Korea, China on Monday issued an order to carry out the United Nations sanctions imposed on the rogue regime earlier this month”

It begins… #MAGA

15. Gil says:

Im wondering how soon I will hear that the sky is falling in CA since the Chinese are so heavily invested here. Will keep an eye out for anything noteworthy. If the Chinese want to start selling alll their properties, leaving our colleges, stopping birther tourism, stop funding marijuana grows in tract homes, and flooding our stores with retail knock offs, poison dog food, and crappy clothing n textiles I’m ok.
    Christmas is going to be interesting.
    I bet we will see stores rethinking their sales and black friday ads based on this.

16. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Fire and Fury!

17. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Fire and Fury!

18. SharkFL says:

This is what MAGA looks like

19. Johnny Bravo says:

Will one of the ss guys take Slim Acosted out and slap him up the side of the head? He needs some common sense knocking into him!

• It would never work. Common sense/intelligence and Acosta are like oil and water they can’t be combined.

• JC says:

Round up all the dog shock-collars from inappropriate use w/dogs and send to all pressers. No collar, no entry. Distribute remotes to anyone who has to listen to these rude boneheads.

Yet another glorious day in this astonishing Presidency. Never in my wildest imagination, hopes and prayers did I think I’d live to see this. Never.

20. SharkFL says:

Go to the 3:35 mark on the video. Check out the latest press outburst of smarminess and disrespect from Mr Fake News Jim Acosta.

President Trump responds “I’ll take questions, but I like REAL news, and you are FAKE news” as he points at little Jimmy and walks out of the room.

Trump is the best.

21. roy1982blog says:

….and then there is Jim Acasta who rudely puts himself in the center asking a question off topic and insulting the president. This man needs to have his WH credentials removed and he needs to be banned from the White House. He went in there with no interest in this epic policy. He went in there with one goal, to get the CNN nightly news panels to talk about how poor Jimmy gets bullied by mean old Trump… just watch. #victim Acausta

22. A monumental historic moment – this website deserves enormous kudos for understanding and reporting on it for months. The rest of the world media is completely clueless.

• M33 says:

So true!!

• I have to disagree. They are not clueless. For that to be the case, they would have an innocence about them. And indeed, we have needed to have access to others to help US explain it all.

I think the truth is far more sinister. They know the truth. They don’t like it. And so promote other agendas and twist the news to fit their own narrative given to them by the globalists. They are traitors, essentially; here to subvert the will of the people by producing propaganda to satisfy their paymasters.

• …cont.

As Sundance points out, there are trillions at stake. They are not ignorant of it.

Following 301, I think Trump is in more danger today than he has ever been. I pray for him regularly, and hope he is smart with his security.

If he gets assassinated, the media have so many untouchable candidates to point the finger at, NK and China being just two.

However, to me, if anything happens I am sure it will be the globalists, and George Soros in particular. I hope Soros passes away soon. We could do with a boost.

• missmarple2 says:

Just came back from buying a bottle of wine. After this weekend, I need it.

Mike Huckabee was on Hannity saying that the press is attempting to implement a coup, and they will NEVER give up on trashing President Trump. They don’t care about policies as much as getting him to resign or worse.

He was completely contemptuous of the media. His voice was so stern I almost didn’t recognize who was speaking.

23. lcpusa says:

This will play well in middle America. Very well. Especially here on the shop floor.

24. Pam says:

Epic! This is the event we’ve all been waiting for. POTUS made it better by calling Acosta fake news again. LOL!

I love my president! 😀

25. Fire and Fury. Some anagrams

Fairy Fed Run
    Fairy Red Fun
    Iran Feud Fry
    Any Rude Riff

Nothing of relevance. I think today I have too much time on my hands. I’m going to mow the yard.

26. buckweaver27 says:

Listening to this reminded me of that moment during one of the GOP debates when President Trump was educating Jeb about China requiring Boeing to open a plant in China, and Jeb’s response “Come on, man.”

• Sylvia Avery says:

Ohh….for a moment I felt like I had been punched in the gut. It just hit me. We were SPARED a Jeb! presidency. I’m always thinking how we dodged a bullet because it could have been Hillary, but Jeb! was the Crown Prince. What a horrible thought.

One more thing to be grateful for. Thank you President Trump for sparing us from a possible Low Energy Jeb! as president. Awful, awful thought.

27. TwoLaine says:

Let The Games Begin!

#Covfefe

28. sobriquet4u says:

I’m really liking President Trumps “Economics of Face Management”.

29. Abandoned says:

Speaking of forcing China to fix NK…
    Oh my.
    “When the US State Department supported Ukraine domestic forces and nationalist elements to stage a successful and deadly coup against then pro-Russian president Viktor Yanukovych in 2014, the outcome was supposed to be a nation that is a undisputed US ally and persistent threat, distraction and non-NATO opponent to bordering Russia. Instead, it now appears that it has been Ukraine which was, as the NYT writes, the secret behind the success of North Korea’s ballistic missile program.” from ZH.

• SpanglishKC says:

Really? That means Obama, HIllary and their minions were in on it. Wasn’t Lynch or Susan Rice who were recently quoted as saying essentially “so what if North Korea gets nuclear weapons. They ahve every right”

• Deplorable Ukie says:

Abandoned,
      First, let me remind that Rex Tillerson has pointed at both Russia and China as the enablers of North Korea.

Now, some history.
      On April 26–28, 2001, North Korean Defense Minister Vice-Marshal Kim Il-chol visited Moscow, and a deal on bilateral cooperation in the defense industry and military equipment was signed. During Kim’s visit, the two governments also signed a so-called “framework of intergovernmental agreement on cooperation in the military industry” and an agreement between the two defense ministries.

Until 2014, Russia had received the some missile parts from Ukraine. Russia bought the parts and acted as their owner in further transactions – according to the international law. Ukraine bears no responsibility for Russia’s decisions to transfer those parts anywhere – including North Korea.
      Here is a link to more detail on this matter; use a translator from Russian should you need it:

Just keep in mind how Russia moved the Siemens turbines to Crimea.

30. Minnie says:

This is only the beginning – BELIEVE ME!!

Yep, it indeed feel like New Years Eve, my birthday and the 4th of July all rolled into one big beautiful celebration 🎉

God Bless America 🙏
    God bless OUR President 🇺🇸
    God bless us everyone ❤️

31. Minnie says:

Intellectual Property Rights!
    Patents, Trademarks!

BOOM! 😁

32. NJF says:

Go get ’em Mr. President.

33. kyasgrandma says:

Mr. Acosta needs some down-home, Southern schoolin’ on manners and respect.
    I was always told that good manners and education were two things no one could take from you.
    I have not heard President Trump utter one falsehood, Mr. Acosta. Not one.
    Can you say the same – without lying?
    (Did you see what I did there? President Trump You should try it – it is not hard to say or write.
    And you know you want to come on over into the light with the rest of us.)

34. Bubba says:

Hmmm. Trade infringement INVESTIGATION. If Sessions won’t go after Clintons/Obama, then, perhaps, President Trump will take another route?

Lot’s of things to investigate relating to trade and technology and diplomacy and ports of entry and intellectual property rights and on and on. Many investigations uncover other, seemingly unrelated “matters” as well. Could the exposure, and ensuing public pressure, force DOJ action? Brilliant.

35. Flightmedic16 says:

PDJT is turning loose The Wilburine Gang! Be afraid ChiComs, be very afraid.

36. Sandra-VA says:

Click the link in the tweet for a translation of DPRK’s last news broadcast. Seems to me that the pressure campaign is working….

37. Matt says:

Besides this 301 trade negotiations issue, can President Trump force China out of GATT? Or would it take Congress or some global agreement? I kind of remember when they were given most favored nation status- under Clinton I think, even as they were persecuting their political dissidents.

38. ej says:

This is the FIRE AND FURY that the President was talking about.

I always said the China was actually the purest form of capitalism on the planet, b/c they literally have zero rules. They can steal whatever the heck they want and sell it. This is a giant NUKE in their face. This will hurt them big time.

39. amaranto es says:

I throw a crime syndicate member who form of has a thing for gamey oddment pens so I am somewhat intimate with the securities industry and $250.00 seemed quite gamey to me which is why the snatch of info stuck in my thinker. As far as I could discover at about 3:25
    faux News-Spreading Scum: Mr. President could you explicate why you did not objurgate the (?