Caution: The Solar Eclipse

Be safe during the upcoming eclipse. A very good post from Stella on the topic. Take a moment to be sure you understand the danger possible, especially for children.

Stella's Place

This was found on Facebook (posted by our friend, Menagerie) and seems like good information to share.

Michael Schecter:

As an Optometrist , I want to express concern that I have about the solar eclipse on Monday, Aug 21. There are serious risks associated with viewing a solar eclipse directly, even with the use of solar filter glasses. Everyone should keep in mind if they or their children are considering this.

View original post 345 more words

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

92 Responses to Caution: The Solar Eclipse

1. Sylvia Avery says:

Sensible advice. And the article didn’t even mention the thousands of counterfeit Solar Eclipse Glasses made in China and being sold via Amazon, friend of the people. Just another reason to use abundant caution.

2. Please heed this advice. Retired optician here. Do not trust ‘eclipse’ glasses! Learn how to make a pinhole camera from a shoebox and use it! Here is a tutorial on how – https://www.space.com/15737-safely-sun-build-shoebox-pinhole-camera-video.html

3. ALEX says:

This site has an interactive map of the path and what you’re view would be.

4. Southern Son says:

I had my eye exam and ordered new glasses a couple of weeks ago, and there on the desk, at the Optomitrist, were cardboard Solar Viewing Glasses.
    If we watch it, it will be with the Viewing Plate on our telescope, With the Solar Lens.
    With the Plate, everyone gets a good look, like a 6″ monitor.
    But we’re not that exited about it anyway.
    The Landscape going Dark in the middle of the day is more interesting.
    And watching the Dogs reaction.
    If they do.

• Sylvia Avery says:

I’m with you. I’ve seen eclipses. Will be more interested to see what my dog thinks, if anything other than NAP TIME!

• buckweaver27 says:

Ha! That is exactly what I’ve been thinking. I’m going to sit in the backyard with my 2 beagles and watch their reaction. The rest I’ll see on TV.

• JoAnn Leichliter says:

It is really interesting to observe birds and animals during a total or (as will be the case in my part of Nebraska) near total eclipse. I plan to do that in our back yard. Think I will make a pinhole contraption, too. It sounds simple enough that even I can do it.

5. MaryfromMarin says:

Am sending this, and the SP one, to twitter several times.

6. RedBallExpress says:

There is no trouble like eye trouble. For a free education go sit in the eye surgery waiting room at a major hospital. I saw a guy who had put a chisel through the same eye twice. Don’t look at the sun and always wear safety glasses when using a hammer.

7. sunnydaze says:

Thanks for posting this, Menagerie. Really imp. info.

I heard that you can stand with your back to the sun and look at a tree shadow and see hundreds of tiny eclipse images between the shadows of the leaves.

8. Ploni says:

The Torah speaks ominously of a solar eclipse, as a sign of Divine disfavor, not blessing.

The Talmud states that a solar eclipse can occur for any of four reasons, one of which is homosexuality.

• jello333 says:

๐Ÿ˜€

I’m kinda hoping that all ISIS scum burst into flames on this one!

• sunnydaze says:

What are the other 3 reasons? Do they all have to do with sexual mores?

• Red says:

I am of the understanding that an eclispe of the sun is a sign of judgement for the gentile nations, and that eclipses of the moon on Jewish Feast Days are warnings for Isreal. I don’t know if this is correct, but when one considers the craziness in America these days it make sense to me. And this eclispe crosses the San Juan De Fucca subduction zone, Yellowstone super caldara, the New Madrid fault, and exits the Continent over the major fault in Charleston, SC…..pretty ominous if this is indeed a warning!

9. sobriquet4u says:

I ask my grandson (who lives outside Nashville) is he had been warned about looking directly at eclipse. His response – “yep, when it’s reached totality it goes really dark and your pupils widen which increases the surface area for UV light to come in. Once the moon moves away your eyes are sitting ducks waiting to receive a whole bunch of UV light which can seriously damage the eyes.” Ooook. Mimi just got schooled.

• jello333 says:

Yeah, I’ve read a lot of stuff saying that during “totality” and ONLY during that time, it’s safe to look even without glasses. As tempting as that is, I’m not sure. Again, though, I’ve seen that states on many “reputable” sites. Seems weird that the most extreme period — during “totality” — would be the “safe” time. Hmm… :/

• Sylvia Avery says:

That is so funny. But I’m glad your grandson is all ready!

• Will Janoschka says:

I ask my grandson (who lives outside Nashville) is he had been warned about looking directly at eclipse. His response โ€“ โ€œyep,
      Yep, Grandsprouts! much more aware than your offsprouts (parents) trying to make a living This clever grandson should be quickly introduced to an auto-darkining welding mask, that use extreme UV to opaque the view. Welding ‘supervisors’ use such. Welders never; the skilled still have to see what they are welding. The UV comes from the electric arc not from the near white hot flowing melt that needs be observed for proper weld! Sorry mommy, grandson will demand ‘WHY’. This is called learning, not education.

10. jello333 says:

From the optometrist’s article: “With solar glasses you canโ€™t see ANYTHING except the crescent of light of the sun.”

I’ve asked a couple eye docs if the glasses we bought are legit… they have the “meets the requirements of ISO 12312-2” statement imprinted, we got them from an American company on the “approved” list, and they seem well-made. They both said they’re fine. So there’s that. PLUS, when I look through them, this statement is true: “With solar glasses you canโ€™t see ANYTHING except the crescent of light of the sun.” Though actually, if I put my face a few inches away from a (lit) light bulb, I can just BARELY make out the very dim outline of the bulb. It’s kinda freaky. Looking at the sun, that is really ALL you can see… if you look away, look around you, you see NOTHING. So I think we’re good.

11. jello333 says:

We don’t take random road trips very often… but we’re doing it on the 21st. ๐Ÿ™‚

• sunnydaze says:

Make sure to pull off the road if you’re heading towards the sun when it happens.

• jello333 says:

Oh we’ll be there before it happens. Actually gonna give ourselves enough leeway so that we can drive this way or that to avoid cloud-cover, if that becomes an issue. We’re really lucky in that we’re not very far from not only a “totality” area, but the LONGEST part of the whole thing, at over 2 1/2 minutes (in southern IL).

• allhail2 says:

We gave a house in Cashiers, NC. Pretty close to ground zero as you can get. Here now, leaving for home in the AM. Hoping to come back up for it.

12. valheisey says:

does anyone know if you point a camera at the sun, without looking through the viewfinder, will you get an image? What about a swing-out viewing screen – is that safe? It may be too dark for the camera to autofocus, and a tripod may be needed as in night photography but would it work with the right equipment? In any case, I will either make my pinhole camera or watch it on my computer.

• jello333 says:

I was reading up on that, too. And the “experts” are even more insistent on using some kind of filter, than they are on the naked eye. They say that modern cameras (and camcorders) focus the light into pinpoints, sort of like a magnifying glass. And so, they claim, it’ll pretty much FRY at least some parts of your camera if you try it without a filter.

Bummer… because I had mine, and my tripod, all ready to go. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

• The Devilbat says:

Modern electronic cameras including those used in cellphones use a silicon chip called a CCD or charge Coupled Device as their sensor. The strong UV can indeed fry it.

Taking direct photos of the sun can destroy not only your camera, but your eyes. The lens will act as a magnifier and multiply the suns intensity right onto your cameras internals. What this effects can vary. The camera may survive with a small aperture setting.

Direct exposures of the sun can cause permanent damage to your camera’s CCD sensor, Besides that, your camera’s shutter curtains, and sensors are also at risk when shooting right at the sun.

Taking photos of bats flying at sunset and pictures of the sunrise is okay, as is taking photos in direct sunlight but pointing your lens right at the sun is not recommended (especially for long exposures).

• jello333 says:

And just coincidentally, you mention filming bats… ๐Ÿ˜‰

• valheisey says:

Thanks Devilbat! I think I spare my camera and my eyes!

• Katie says:

What I’m wondering is if you can use your cell phone to take a “selfie” of the sun when it’s close to totality, or of the corona if you’re lucky enough to see totality? Just hold your cell phone screen facing the sun and not through the back side viewer? Beats using a pinhole in a box it it’s safe for the camera function.

13. amwick says:

My neighborhood is right in that area of totality… we will have over 2 and a half minutes I think. We were having a couple beers last night, discussing this.. it’s a bid deal here,, most people are planning on where they will be when it happens.. My neighbor believes that we will see stars.. that it will be dark enough. Somehow this really thrilled me.. seeing stars??? Me, I am also wondering if the birds will be confused, maybe we will hear a whippoorwill.
    Other rumors are that there will be national guard troops in the area to deal with the traffic,,, a rumor… I mean this is a tiny place. Northeast corner of GA….
    My husband and I will go to the top of our road, which looks over our valley… and hold hands.. That is our plan…

• Red says:

My goodness, you must be close to Clayton, beautiful place to be, we have a house we couldnt sell in just a few miles away in NCโ˜บ

• amwick says:

Yes… something like 19 miles, but a longer car drive because 76 and the mountains.. We were there yesterday, went out Warwoman Rd, up 28 and then to Highlands. Our first time there, it was incredible. Clayton is just about in the center of that totality line…

• Linda says:

Here in Oregon, they’re expecting a couple million people coming into the state to view it (in a state of just 4 million people). I hope they are wrong – I’m dreading that. But I’m not going any farther than my front yard, where I’ll have a perfect view of it.

• Cymrygirl says:

I live near Helen, which is in the path of totality, but I will be in Gainesville that day, since I teach there, where it will be about 99% totality (we’re holding the kids an extra hour that day — figures, doesn’t it?), so I won’t get to be in 100% totality. I teach Pre-K, so we will probably have an extra-long or extra-late rest time that day, since it’s supposed to happen at around dismissal time and we dismiss about 45 minutes after we get up from rest time. One thing I can tell you about 4-year-olds is if you tell them to NOT look up at the sky, they are going to, so we are making it as close to a normal day for them as possible, even though we will be talking/teaching about it.

• Katie says:

After reading this, I’m more excited than ever to experience this. Seeing the sun covered up with the glasses is less interesting to me than experiencing the changes around you.

This site can be slow to load because they’re getting overwhelmed with response, but if you want to read a description of what to expect and what to look for, this is an amazing article.

Sure hope itโ€™s clear, otherwise weโ€™ll miss out on something truly extraordinary.

• They are expecting tons of people here in Western NC, also

• decisiontime16 says:

State capitals in the path of the total solar eclipse:
        Salem, OR;
        Lincoln, NE;
        Jefferson City, MO;
        Nashville, TN;
        Columbia, SC.

14. Red says:

Hoping for clear skies here in TN. I researched the eclispe glasses and made sure i bought American made after reading reviews about Chinease inferior products. Also please check your glasses for any pinholes or wrinkles in the film. I also have read that you may want to tape extra cardboard around the frames, as they really are quite small. I also have a number 14 welding glass which I will most likely use instead of the glasses. I bought 10 pairs of the glasses to share with anyone in my neighborhood that may not have bought a pair

15. Stand under a small tree and the gaps between the leaves will project countless images of the crescent sun on the ground below.

16. Red says:

I also read the proper procedure is to look at the ground and put your glasses on. You won’t be able to see anything to be careful, but then look up at the sun. Do the same in reverse when taking them off.

17. MfM says:

I’ve experienced several partial and near full eclipses. We used the shadow box to see it when I was a kid.

While it would be cool to look at it, I’m not trusting the glasses. What was more interesting was just feeling it happen.

18. #14 lens shade or above welders goggles or helmet

19. Eric says:

Businesses here in my area are selling glasses like crazy for the event. If you live in the Western NC area, glasses around here are like Wal-Mart. Every 2 feet and you step into Eclipse Glasses ๐Ÿ™‚

20. wheatietoo says:

In ancient times…or even in the recent past…people wouldn’t have known about the danger to their eyes.
    Think of how many people were left with damaged vision back then.

Maybe this is why there was lore about an Eclipse?
    There is so much time that goes by between the event of a full eclipse, memories of what happened could have faded…but the ‘fear’ survived.

The muslim calendar is based on the Lunar Cycle.
    Muslims view the Moon as source of information and a lunar event as a harbinger of things to come…or a ‘signal’ of when to act.
    So I wonder if the ISIS/Daesh are planning something for this eclipse?

In our search for other Planets that are similar to Earth…we are learning just how ‘unique’ our planet is…
    So far, we have found no other planet just like it.
    We have found no other planet with a planet-to-moon size ratio like we have with our Moon.

Scientists are seeing how remarkable it is to have a Moon like ours.
    It is so perfect for our planet…some of them are pondering if it was ‘placed here’ to provide our planet with benefits that the Earth enjoys from having it in orbit.

For example, if our Moon were slightly bigger or smaller…the effects could be devastating.
    The tides would be greater with a larger moon, which would affect every coastline.
    Coastal erosion would be more severe.
    With a smaller moon, and smaller tides, some species of marine life might not exist.

We tend to take our Moon for granted.
    But our research of Space is showing us just how blessed we are, to have this ‘perfect’ Moon.

• carrierh says:

God knew what to do but we still keep looking and seeking for another way for the many universes came into existent and as you say our planet and the moon are a great pair. These things cannot happen by happenstance but with a directive meaning there has to be a “creator” in it all. Fascinating though to wonder and wonder.

• wheatietoo says:

Some scientists admit that their belief in God is reinforced, the more they study the physical world [His creation].

Personally, I think that God speaks to us through the physical world.
        So much of it is a miracle…that scientists cannot explain.

This is why I don’t think that science and faith are two separate issues.

The good Lord gave us inquiring minds.
        I think He did this so that we would explore and learn from what He has given us.

• Red says:

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ so do I, I really believe it’s all tied together. Even different types of mold are discussed in the Old Testiment. This relatively new problem of black mold isn’t really new.

• Red says:

Yes indeed wheatie, and our calendar is Roman and based on the Sun, but the Jewish calendar is based both on the Sun and the Moon. Very fascinating stuff when you really think about it. God is the mathematician, physicist, engineer, geologist, astrophysicist, physician, biologist, He really is EVERYTHING. What an awe inspiring universe He created.

• wheatietoo says:

Yes, absolutely.
        It’s all connected…and I think He gave us the gift of Reason so that we could understand what He has created.

• NewNonna!!! says:

And yet, Wheatie, we can be aware of His creation but do we really understand it? How can our limited minds (compared to the Creator’s) UNDERSTAND???

Believers appreciate, stand in awe, praise Him for it, and realize every little thing He created, He did to bring Him Glory and for us to behold and marvel at and praise Him. And why shouldn’t we?

It’s intensely amazing when we stop to really think about His awesomeness!! I look at the human body, at its intricacies and how it functions, how it is created and comes into existence… all it can do, think and say. Just look up laminin. What it does and it’s shape. A real, Omygosh!!! moment the first time you make the connection!!

The physical world?? How truly amazing!!! My sisters and I take nearly nightly pix of the western sky as the day wanes and txt it to each other as we live in different parts of our country. Not only is each nearly-nightly sky different from the others, but pix just minutes apart are as well. One more beautiful than the other.

And I say, how can I deny the existence of God, our Creator?? Evidence of our world being purposely created is everywhere, if we just open our hearts to this truth. But, truth is a YUGE stumbling block for many. Sad.

I guess: to those who believe, no explanation is needed; to those who don’t believe, no explanation will suffice.

Praise God!!

21. Red says:

Yes, and I believe we are to seek, so that we may better understand. I watch a few Messianic Jewish programs. Hebrew is a very fascinating language. I’m seriously considering trying to learn it. I’m a little old to be trying something like this but it is so cool. Letters are pictures, and numbers. The words themselves tell picture stories and they also have a numerical value… I find that so intriguing.

22. mailmannz says:

Oh FFS…if you are dumb enough to look directly at the sun to try and see the eclips then perhaps you shouldn’t be allowed out in to society without escort???

• maggiemoowho says:

Lol๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ I’ve got to stop drinking and while reading comments, got coffee up my nose now.๐Ÿ˜„

23. Jefff says:

ZOMBIE APOC-ECLIPSE 2017 . As MILLIONS of Americans get in their vehicle and attempt to drive in to the TOTAL ECLIPSE ZONE ….WILL the roads look like an episode of THE WALKING DEAD traffic GRIDLOCK ?

Where I live is in the fringe of the TOTAL line projected by the MEDIA . Estimates claim up to a million people will converge on our area attempting to make it OVER THE LINE to the TOTAL ECLIPSE ZONE !!

WE are prepared for total GRIDLOCK on the roadways here .

Interesting events for PEOPLE WATCHERS as well as eclipse viewers . As millions of Americans hold up their SMARTY PHONES to take a shot of the TOTAL ECLIPSE ….will it ruin their cameras ?

Millions of Americans will hoist their SMARTY PHONES toward the SUN on August 21st during the TOTAL ECLIPSE .

WILL the smarty phone camera be damaged by the TOTAL ECLIPSE ?

WILL Tuesday August 22nd be BLACK TUESDAY for APPLE and ANDROID phone companies as MILLIONS OF AMERICANS order new smarty phones ?

24. maggiemoowho says:

Just hold your cell phone ๐Ÿ“ฑup and record it, then watch it whenever you want. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ‘

25. maggiemoowho says:

The US post office released a Solar Eclipse stamp that changes when you touch it.

26. Where I live the we will be able to see between 90% -99% eclispse; just a few miles away it is 100%. I am desperately trying to get a pair of eclipse glasses; they are giving them out at the libraries and selling at groceries stores, but they go really fast….I hope I can find a pair. I have to work but I should be able to experience most of it anyway; I can see the sun out my window at 2:36 pm EST which is the time of eclipse. There are approved glasses for this.

• Red says:

Littleflower, try Amazon but you may have to pay for overnight shipping now. I bought mine in June. But find a welding supply shop. A number 14 welding glass or goggles (or higher) is just as good. They say though that putting two number 7’s together is not the same as a #14.

27. blognificentbee says:

We are going to be on vacation with the whole family at a beach house on outer banks of NC – can’t wait!!

28. JBrickley says:

Back in the mid 80’s there was a solar eclipse that passed over New England. We built box reflectors that were indirect. You looked through a pin hole into a box that displayed the eclipse but you definitely didn’t look directly at the sun even with special viewing glasses. You put the box down and looked down into it to observe. Back then there weren’t any companies selling viewing solutions we made the boxes ourselves in science class. It is very tempting to look up. Young children should be closely mentored during the eclipse.

29. This could well be the view you get from western Oregon. https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/ready-set-eclipse

30. Will Janoschka says:

Where are the fake Climate Scientest about this eclipse? Where are the aircraft that could measure the extreme atmospheric temperature drop at every altitude as this ‘total’ proceeds across the USA. At every altitude the air temperature should drop with a phase delay of six minutes as the totality proceeds Eastward. The maintenance of local lapse may or may not occur, but measurement would give much detail of the rapid vertical progression of atmospheric heat. Such is unknown to actual science. We can measure then wonder, (wind ass or scratch watch)!

31. Will Janoschka says:

Where are the fake Climate Scientest about this eclipse? Where are the aircraft that could measure the extreme atmospheric temperature drop at every altitude as this ‘total’ proceeds across the USA. At every altitude the air temperature should drop with a phase delay of six minutes as the totality proceeds Eastward. The maintenance of local lapse may or may not occur, but measurement would give much detail of the rapid vertical progression of atmospheric heat. Such is unknown to actual science. We can measure then wonder, (wind a$$ or scratch watch)! The fool Climate clowns adjust every measurement to fit the current political dogma!