U.S. Coal Exports Soar – Over 60 Percent Increase in 2017….

Interestingly at the same time as a massive natural gas investment by Petronas collapses in Canada due to energy policy and economic conditions surrounding weak LNG prices, the U.S. Energy Information Administration highlights that U.S. coal exports are roaring back.  Yes, elections have real economic consequences.

U.S. EIA data shows a gain of 60.3% so far this year in exports of both steam coal (used to generate electricity) and coking coal (metallurgical coal used for steel manufacturing) as a direct consequence of President Trump’s common sense energy policy.

Interestingly, the largest destinations for the growth in American coal export are the U.K. (+175%) and a doubling of tonnage to both France (+100%), and Asia (+100%).  High transport costs to ship coal to the EU are being offset by U.S. coal manufacturing efficiencies and improvements in mining productivity.

Additionally, while the actual end user for coal shipments to the EU are difficult to track, it is reasonably anticipated that some European countries are preparing to offset their reliance on Russian energy with storage of steam coal for next winters high demand season.

WASHINGTON/LONDON (Reuters) – U.S. coal exports have jumped more than 60 percent this year due to soaring demand from Europe and Asia, according to a Reuters review of government data, allowing President Donald Trump’s administration to claim that efforts to revive the battered industry are working.

The previously unpublished figures provided to Reuters by the U.S. Energy Information Administration showed exports of the fuel from January through May totaled 36.79 million tons, up 60.3 percent from 22.94 million tons in the same period in 2016. While reflecting a bounce from 2016, the shipments remained well-below volumes recorded in equivalent periods the previous five years.  (read more)

This entry was posted in Economy, energy, EPA, European Union, media bias, President Trump, Trade Deal, Ukraine, Uncategorized, US Treasury. Bookmark the permalink.

79 Responses to U.S. Coal Exports Soar – Over 60 Percent Increase in 2017….

1. ginaswo says:

WVA rally coming up soon! With President Trump our miners are winning bigly!!!
    #JobsJobsJobs

2. maggiemoowho says:

Winning!!!😃👍👍👍🇺🇸MAGA🇺🇸

3. Stringy theory says:

Making America Great Again, one day at a time. Thank you PresidentbTrump.

4. ECM says:

Is it safe to assume this explosion also benefits parts of PA?

• Tim Tarr says:

Just east of WV in PA is one of the largest coal mines in US. Consol has spent $billions on upgrades there. It’s just south of I70 at Claysville. You can see the coal shoot on Google Earth. It’s the Pittsburgh coal seam.

Even better you can see the well pads for Marcellus Gas too.

5. Summer says:

Reuters can’t help be no an apologist for Obama’s abysmal performance: while “the shipments jumped over 60 this year” they remain “well-below the levels” of what Obama used to ship.

• Summer says:

*being.

• It’s funny too because the media and Dems (I know, I repeat myself) all espoused the killing the coal industry and joining the Paris Climate Treaty (the final nail in the coffin of US coal), but now that coal is expanding and having a positive impact on the economy they’re all like “Well yeah, but not near as much as Obama did! He was like way more into coal…” LOL Seriously, you can’t make this stuff up! #MoreWinning 😀 😀 😀

6. booger71 says:

Great news for out hard working coal miners.

7. Bull Durham says:

The deal I want to see DJT make is to get Joe Manchin to crossover and join the Republicans.
    WV is going to be prospering. Manchin is close on all important issues. He should be given assurances that Trump will always campaign for him raise money for him and get him a chairmanship of a good committee.

This should be a fairly easy task. Recruit Manchin. Dump Collins.

• I was just going to say the same thing but you said it much better than I could’ve
      The committee chairmanship was a nice touch that didn’t occur to me.

• Recruiting a snake? Well he would be our snake? You recruit him you owe him and an authentic Sen. for WV comes along and who do you support? He already has two Republican challengers for 2018. Don’t know how many are RINOs but hopefully a solid conservative among the pair. Remember dear Old Joe’s flip flop on gun control. My humble suggestion is not to recruit problems but to replace with solutions.

• Ned says:

Since the swamp is out to get Trump, its time he ONLY endorses people that want HIS agenda. No more FAKE endorsements for people like McPain, a NEVER TRUMPER. Look how awful the GOP treated Trump,again.He’s been more than decent to the GOP swamp and they continue to stab him in the back. Just because the person is a Republican doesn’t mean we want him or her representing the global elite an giving us the shaft.

• sejmon says:

I BELIEVE PDJT WILL DO IT…

• Katie says:

I read that Manchin is anti-2nd amendment though. Would he change his mind on that?

• Dorothy Marcum says:

Joe Manchin is a Medicaid W h o r e … you have to live here to understand the ins and outs Obamacare has caused an explosion of addicted opoid heads and now they need the Medicaid to treat them all and they are in treatment! The Medicaid “expansion” has benefitted soooooo many BUTTTTTT many of these folks are brothers, sisters, moms, dad s and other family members of the WORKING COAL MINERS …. Medicaid is BIG here folks so we have to be so careful in how a cut down of medicaid works

• ECM says:

The killer w/ treatment is that opioid abuse has, depending on the study you cite, an up to 91% relapse rate. It’s the sort of thing you *never* want to become addicted to, because you’re almost assuredly never going to get past it. Which means we’ll dump billions into treating it and most of those people will never get clear of it, making it wasted money.

• Alison says:

Just another really ugly, nefarious way the globalists have destroyed USA via ignoring illegal immigration & the invasion of drug cartels. Very difficult sometimes to think our nation has a healthy future.

Meanwhile, I relish every single one of President Trump’s #MAGA moments. God Bless him.

• essential liberties says:

When I had a surgery, they gave me a whole bunch of pain pills. Even in the fog of the pills, I was adamant that I took as few of those things as possible, even if I hurt a little bit. Even when they were giving me IV pain meds in the hospital I requested the Motrin/Advil stuff to alternate with the real opioid painkillers. I think I typically took one for sleep and another during the day, then filled in with the stronger Advil they gave. The last thing I wanted was to get even the semblance of hooked on that stuff. I was probably at no risk at all, but I didn’t even want to take the chance.

• The problem methink, is the over prescribing of so-called ‘pain pills’, which are not that at all, but are in reality ‘get high pills’. These highly addictive pills should be restricted or banned outright. 800mg Ibuprofen is 10x more effective at reducing pain than opioids.

• dave says:

Dude.

You’re ignorant.

Nothing alleviates pain like the opioids.

• Dave’s right. For post operative pain opioids are necessary and nothing replaces them. Pain relief allows patients to move earlier & decreases postop pneumonia and DVT, promoting a shorter recovery time. If used correctly in this situation the use of opioids is not addictive. When used for chronic pain the potential for addiction is high.

• Ned says:

He should have voted for repeal and replace Obamacare…
      He;s getting a gift from Trump and gave nothing in return.
      They ALL know Obamacare is imploding.

• Tegan says:

Talk about gifts…Ryan and everyone in Wisconsin owe POTUS a HUGE debt for the Foxconn investment. Unfortunately, memories are short (especially among politicians) but it’s up to us to keep throwing it in Ryan’s face, along with the others.

8. Ono says:

Al Gore is crying some where…

At the coal miners diner!!!

• He almost died this weak when NASA released data that disproved his old propaganda of “rising oceans”. He’s elitist scum if I’ve ever smelled it.

• Dorothy Marcum says:

I live SMACK DAB in coal country! The 18 wheelers are rolling, the trains are running and coal mines are HIRING! That being said that there is fear that if the Dems get a chance it will all go sour Miners are used to down times in the business but what Obama did was set out to destroy the industry as a whole The way we feel now is that we are happy but we are also cautiously happy …. Afraid it’s too good to be true

• Oldschool says:

God bless all of you hard workers. We need TRUMP to succeed so this does not come undone.

• Ono says:

Getting goose bumps thinking about Pittsburg Steel in our economy! Never count the working man down and his influence on society!

• essential liberties says:

I drove across northern Alabama a while back, and was stopped for the first time in YEARS, probably since I’ve driven that route, by a coal train crossing the little highway headed towards the manufacturing along the Tennessee river. Filled with coal! Car after car! I was ecstatic watching it go by, as I sat on the highway.

I personally am not all that effected by coal policies (that I can directly put a finger on, except energy prices), or even by Obamacare (although it probably raises the prices I and my company pays…), but to know that my fellow Americans that ARE directly effected are now doing better, even if at this point only slightly, makes me SUPER HAPPY.

The fact that these scum politicians go to DC and completely forget about huge swaths of this great nation pains me to no end; the revelations of the last year or so have been punches in the gut, personally coming out of near complete ignorance of politics and the true state of this nation just a year ago. The complete lack of empathy and the utter greed of the DC politicians raises my hackles, and nothing makes me prouder than knowing that PDJT currently has the reigns of power.

• Dorothy Marcum says:

Last night dummie Juan Williams was on The Five touting that coal was OVER and done and now today we have this report I certainly hope that Jesse Waters rubs him over good with it tonight

• piper says:

European countries are NG starved, dependent upon Russian sources to a great extent. Coal shipments could alleviate electric energy shortfalls, when combined with new technology which inherently produces no atmospheric pollution discharges.

Clean coal technology (synthesis gas) is being developed for North Dakota’s abundant lignite, anticipating commercial scale 300 Mwe Allam cycle turbines by 2022, which will perform CCS with no added efficiency penality.

• Ned says:

SOROS knew this was coming and bought all the coal stock he could on the cheap.

9. MfM says:

So when were shipments under Obama’s administration higher? I bet it was before he killed it!

I’d love to see a graph for the last ten years, by month and see what Obama really did.

10. TwoLaine says:

I dedicated President TRUMP”s actions in this regard to Herbert Ewing “Herb” Steinman, Jr. (1922-2015), a pioneer in mining. Herb almost lived long enough to see his beloved coal industry come back, but not quite.

#MAGAForHerb

11. TwoLaine says:

“There’s the possibility that the U.S. will become more of a primary player in the global coal trade market,” he said.

Ya’ gotta read the article. 🙂

12. fleporeblog says:

Our President is cementing the voters in Coal Country! I hope Joe Manchin wakes up and reads this article today. Our President will have streets named after him in WV! I hope Manchin pays the ultimate price for his betrayal! She said a couple of weeks ago that he would never have voted in 2010 for the mandatory taxes on individuals, employers and medical devices. He had a chance early this morning to follow through and decided to side with his party!

2018 is when WV gets there chance to show our President their appreciation!

• litlbit2 says:

Oh yes and there will be many more WV turning these dinosaurs out to pasture. I also how a large part of them do jail time and have their corrupted collected accounts turned back to the taxpayers. 2018

• essential liberties says:

Exactly Flep, Manchin should have no opportunity for a “come to Jesus” moment… he needs to be taken out. He is no different than the rest of the bought scum in DC. WVians need to go out and find a rough and tough coal miner to send to Congress to kick some @ss and take some names for their state.

• Dorothy Marcum says:

Yes Manchin needs to be replaced with a TRUMPLICAN! Capito as well. I have made my share of phone calls to both of these folks over the last weeks on health care but as I said earlier, the needs of Medicaid whorish states is tricky I personally think that a Cruz type bill with a skinny plan and the skinny repeal was going to at least get a look see trial run I hate McCain and I do believe in KarmaBaby

• John says:

VOTE THEM ALL OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Take no chances anymore. Let Trump pick’em and we’ll vote’em in. This is what they fear most so let’s bring the nightmare.

• Black_Knight_Rides says:

Nomination for the first Trump street:

“The Trump Way”

13. Bendix says:

Remember when carrying coals to Newcastle meant a pointless exercise?

14. WeThePeople2016 says:

Seeing Capito and Manchin in that picture makes me sick to my stomach.

15. Abster says:

It is just amazing what President Trump has been able to accomplish in six months. He is one tough, determined man. God bless him. MAGA

16. ibobland08 says:

No doubt Trump’s policy’s help, but a big reason for this is cyclone Debbie, which essentially cut off Australian coal. Most countries that relied on Australia imported US coal in its place.

• Dorothy Marcum says:

That is not what coal operators here in WVA are saying but if those countries are taking our coal I’m sure that President Trump will make sure they are offered a great deal to continue to take it

17. This is fantastic! I lived in WV for 10 years – the tri-state area (WV, OH and KY) and the area is unbelievably poor. There were so many miners out of work when I was there, not to mention ancillary workers. Many people’s lives are going to be improved. Thank you, President Trump. God Bless and keep you safe from harm.

18. Casual observer says:

“The increased shipments came as the European Union and other U.S. allies heaped criticism on the Trump administration for its rejection of the Paris Climate Accord, a deal agreed by nearly 200 countries to cut carbon emissions from the burning of fossil fuels like coal.”
    The best comment in the piece. How hypocritical of our European cousins for excoriating us for withdrawing from the accords and then ponying up to buy our coal to keep their tushies warm this winter.

19. nimrodman says:

And greeny greeny France, where they point their noses in the air and sniff at anything “American” and castigate us for withdrawing from the Paris climate fiasco …

… is burning our coal.

What – windmills falling short?
    Mothballed too many nukey plants?
    Wearing 2 sweaters around the chateau and still feeling a chill?

Love it.

20. Minnie says:

🇺🇸🦁 WINNING 🦁🇺🇸

21. mike Thomas diamond says:

President Trump is doing a great job getting things done !

22. NJF says: