Saudi King Salman Elevates Mohammed Bin Salman To Crown Prince…

This is another one of those dots the entire legacy media apparatus intentionally do not connect to the larger picture.  Saudi Arabia’s King Salman has just appointed his son Mohamed Bin Salman (nickname “MBS”) as the direct heir to the Saudi throne.

MBS is the 31-year-old son of King Salman, a key figure in the Trump coalition within the middle-east and widely considered the bridge to the modern future of Saudi Arabia.  MBS met with President Trump earlier this year in the White House.

(Via Bloomberg) – Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (AP) — Saudi Arabia’s King Salman on Wednesday appointed his 31-year-old son Mohammed bin Salman as crown prince, placing him firmly as first-in-line to the throne and removing the country’s counterterrorism czar and a figure well-known to Washington from the royal line of succession.

In a series of royal decrees carried on the state-run Saudi Press Agency, the monarch stripped Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, who had been positioned to inherit the throne, from his title as crown prince and from his powerful position as the country’s interior minister overseeing security. (more)

This entry was posted in Egypt & Libya Part 2, Islam, Israel, Religion, Saudi Arabia, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

170 Responses to Saudi King Salman Elevates Mohammed Bin Salman To Crown Prince…

1. sundance says:

• npsrangerman says:

Hmmm, I wonder if bin Naif will go silently into this night.

• cohibadad says:

That’s a good question. Or any of the other sons of other prior kings. Salman is the last and the least of the brothers. Him naming his son to start the next series seems like a possible problem.

• fleporeblog says:

Oh boy! Barry’s final piece to his legacy and destruction of the USA is on the verge of going by the waste side. The State Department must be angered today because of this decision. Their role is slowly but surely being eliminated right in front of their eyes!

From the article linked above:

“Muhammed bin Nayef was Washington’s man in Riyadh for a long time,” said Peter Salisbury, a fellow at Chatham House, an international affairs research group in London. “The security establishment will be unhappy he’s gone, more so because the new crown prince has really cut out institutions and is building a direct relationship with the White House.”

Abroad, an emboldened Prince Mohammed raises the stakes for Iran, which Riyadh says is aggressively trying to spread its influence in the region through supporting Shiite movements and sponsoring terror. The prince is a staunch opponent of dialogue with Iran, a position backed by Trump, who’s been dialing back the Obama administration’s warming relations with the Islamic republic.

Given who’s calling the shots in Riyadh and Washington, “it is not really a question of if but rather of when a new escalation with Iran starts,” said Olivier Jakob, managing director of consultant Petromatrix GmbH. “Under his watch, Saudi Arabia has developed aggressive foreign policies and he has not been shy about making strong statements against Iran.”

• phoebehb says:

My one previous comment on a current event that seemed to correspond to Bible prophecy (re: Russian’s apparent reluctance to join Iran in the Ezek. 38-39 invasion of Israel), I was viciously slammed as a “Neo-Con Christian Zionist” ‘. I’ll try one more time. The following is excerpted from the conclusion of a very detailed article (April 2006) on the identity of key players in that prophecy:
      _____________
      ” ..since the 1950s, the Russians have sent their “advisors” to assist in the process of bringing Islamic tribal nomads into the nuclear age. This goes on even to the present moment. In a very real sense, the Arabs have learned to play the antagonists of the old Cold War, playing Russia and the US against each other.
      CUT
      Sheba and Dedan seem best described by the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and a few other Arabian partners. Because of their commitments to the US over the last seventy years, they will continue to side with the West, and the merchants of Tarshish, including the US and Western Europe. Right up until the time of the great invasion from the north, Arab determination to produce and sell oil will win out over their desire to be good Islamists.

The present Saudi monarch, Abdullah Al-Saud holds exactly this position. To the contrary, other Islamic factions have already aligned themselves with Russia, making Islam a house divided. When Russia is finally dragged into the Middle East on a full-scale basis, the illusion of Islam as a united force will be shattered.
      CUT
      A war is coming. Call it World War III or Armageddon. It will begin in the Middle East, but will extend to “the isles.” This is the biblical way of expressing the idea of other continents, dominated by Tarshish. One of them may well be North America. Currently, we are the head of the nations, situated in the Western Hemisphere, far from the center of the action. But our alliance with Sheba and Dedan (and Israel) makes us as much a target as if we were located in the Middle East.’

2. andrewalinxs says:

Very Good news for President Trump.

3. Regina says:

I hope this doesn’t mean foreign minister Adel al-Jubeir is out?

• CathyMAGA says:

Nah, wouldn’t think so…

• Wend says:

Me too, he is MAGA-cool!

• napoleon32 says:

No, he is not a member of the royal family (he’s actually a commoner, the first to hold such a high office). King Salman appointed him in 2015, to raised eyebrows. Before he was elevated to Foreign Minister, he served as the Saudi ambassador to the United States (during that time he also accompanied King Abdullah to his historic meeting with Pope Benedict). His promotion and subsequent service is one more way to conclude that King Salman has wanted closer ties to the United States since he took the throne in January 2015 but was largely rebuffed by Barry and Lurch.

• yucki says:

Adel al-Jubeir isn’t such a good buddy. He’s a nasty piece of work.

Last year he came personally to threaten us, “[to] sell off hundreds of billions of dollars’ worth of American assets held by the kingdom if Congress passes a bill that would allow the Saudi government to be held responsible in American courts for any role in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.”

Saudi Arabia Warns of Economic Fallout if Congress Passes 9/11 Bill

• yucki says:

Of course, that was THEN.
        Barry-from-Hawaii, bowing like a slave, while Valerie Ferret whispered into Persian ears.

And this is NOW – with an American President who inspires trust.
        Whose Sec. of State even knows the Sword Dance!
        An era of greatness may be dawning.

4. tytanshammer says:

all I can think about is stan deyo’s atlantis presentation where he talks about M.B.S and M.B.N. I just watched that recently. Wow. This is a bigger deal than anyone realizes.

5. US says:

The Trump effect is deep and wide.

• trapper says:

A man who is unflinching in his willingness to do the right thing, who stands there straight and takes everything his enemies throw at him because of it, and who counterpunches immediately and harder than the first hit, empowers other right-thinking leaders to join this new movement to make EVERTHING better. And that strike on Syria’s airbase signaled the end of American impotence from fearing what Putin will do. Here we come. Get out of the way.

6. sundance says:

7. CathyMAGA says:

So glad you see him as a bridge to modern KSA, as I do. Combined with al Sisi wanting to modernize some aspects of Islam, and, well, this could be a real turning point for them…
    I also wonder if King Salman is well? Maybe he is ill, and wants his son in ASAP…

• piper567 says:

Of course we do not know of the King’s health, apart from maybe arthritis (?), but watching him look out over the assembly while TRUMP was speaking left no doubt that he is, mentally, firing on all cylinders.
      There were quite a lot of shots of him visually scanning, and he had almost a wistful look about him, as if he knew the effort afoot to convince many in attendance of the approach upon which he and TRUMP seem to agree.
      This promotion of bin Salman seems to support the seriousness of the King’s commitment to “the TRUMP demand” of GET THEM OUT. And US support, which the King believes he can trust, will help KSA restructure its position.
      It seems to me that KSA has taken upon itself the mantle of leadership to which I think it sees itself as the most logical heir.
      The possibility of reforms leading to a reduction of violence and death are mildly encouraging. And this appointment bin Salman seems to support the King’s true interest in KSA leading the way.

• Tegan says:

Agree. I also noticed his canvassing of the attendees as though he was mentally placing them into pro and con columns. This is very interesting action by the King.

8. Gil says:

Are there factions between MBS and other parties that will put his life at risk because he is so interested in redirecting the ME?
    What kind of a person outside of the political spectrum is he, i.e. family, party behavior, education?
    I hope I am not just naiive, but the Saudis appear to truly want to end the violence.
    This is the beginning of a renaissance if it holds true.

• Ron says:

The Saudis are great business men. they know they can’t keep going the way they’ve been going and be successful in industry and on the world stage, reform is necessary.

They can’t just immediately change everything, though, even if they wanted to, it has to be a gradual change.

As far as MBS’s safety… it seems to me, and I may be wrong, but it seems to me the King and the Royal Family rule the country with an iron fist and nobody has the power within the country to overthrow the family.

• Gil says:

If his father was to pass away say within 2 to 5 yrs, he could potentially be king for 40-50 years, if he has the stamina. Im very interested in his character and background. Im also thinking about not just outside the family issues, but inside as well.

• Dixie says:

Can’t help but wonder why ZUCKERBERG is in the “picture” (video at Bloomberg) ….? Does Zuckerberg think his status is equal? Seems to me he should stay out of foreign affairs.

The effeminate Zuckerberg looks like a wimp beside Crown Prince Salman.

9. CathyMAGA says:

Something I tweeted earlier, to me, signals his son is open to women having more rights too…

10. carrie2 says:

Mohammed bin Salman (or as desert people say: Mohammed son of Salman. I think that King Salman was not looking too well when Trump was there probably decided to give his son the reigns after his death but does leave the question why, but then blood is thicker than water. Yes, Trump, is the man! and he found that today’s Saudi Arabia needed to make changes and exert their power to stop the mayhem in their part of the world.

• Ron says:

All of these kingdom or dictatorship governments are a constant struggle for influence. So ultimately, the King should be applauded because he picked the successor who is a reformer. He must have liked what Mohammad Bin Salman was saying. I’d imagine the King is a very wise man, he appears that way, and he likely sees the way the wind is blowing. Backwards ideas and fundamentalist Islam is not the future, and for the success of “The Kingdom” the King has chosen to go with a reformer.

I’m not sure if it’s a sign of faith in Trump in any way, but it shows that Saudi Arabia is heading in the right direction, no matter how slowly.

• livlovely101 says:

Like the King, Trump is no spring chicken. And also, like the King, he has to be certain he leaves his “empire” in the right hands, especially now that he is leading his country and has become a part of it’s history.

My female intuition says: Maybe the King and Trump talked about it and Trump was asked and gave his opinion.

And here we are today….

(A bit OT but I was reading comments over at The Washington comPost, and someone said that Trump is a “slow, lazy do-nothing”–!!– WOW. I’m sure Trump does more in a couple of days than I do in a week! Geez…I keep forgetting his age!!)

• cohibadad says:

I posted it here before, a while back, but there is a Shia prophecy (real or not) that essentially says that the king of Saudi Arabia who comes after Abdullah, Salman in this case, won’t live long or rule long and afterwards they won’t be able to agree on a successor. So I find it interesting to see what happens. Naming his son might seem like a fix for any disagreements, but I’m not so certain. Salman is from a lesser wife or illegitimate or something as far as I can recall. His naming his own son when all the prior brothers of “greater” wives of his father had sons seems like a recipe for dispute but maybe they have it all worked out.

• AnyaArisohn says:

That’s because of the dispute over which direction to pray… Saudi holds modern day Mecca, but the Gold Dome in Israel was the original direction in which Muhammed prayed from… next to Jesus. It was upgraded 1800-1900’s by the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem whom collected funds from Arab and Muslim councils. WWII and the creation of the state of Israel is what led to “No Peace in the Middle East” …hence the Palestinian aggression. Trumps visit to the ME and the Vatican, with the combined idea of moving the embassy, was to fulfill the wrongs to make right from history.

• cohibadad says:

yes. there are a mountain of wrongs to be righted. I believe we are living at one of the most pivotal times in history.

• seeingeye2 says:

Trump has more energy and gets things done faster than any 20-year old.

11. Regina says:

12. millwright says:

Remarkable changes since I lived in the KSA, even though there were hints back when I lived there ! Few Americans ( IMNSHO ) have any appreciation of the historical complexities of the rule of Saudi Arabia. But this announcement indicates to me the King is sending a message to all factions and sects extant within his kingdom that change is on the way and adapt to it !

• wolfmoon1776 says:

I also think the Saudis see a great opportunity with Trump. Before Trump, their pace and direction of change was driven largely by external globalist forces. One could tell that there was pressure to do things that made sense to people in Brussels, not Riyadh. With Trump, who only sets a condition of “no terrorism or radicalism”, change can be driven from INSIDE Saudi.

People will gladly donate twice what is demanded as a tax.

• piper567 says:

wolfmoon, I agree with you, for I do indeed think the Saudis see an unanticipated, as well as great opportunity in TRUMP.
        I actually believe the two of these great men recognized the future impact they could make on tensions not only in the ME, but globally.
        And, they decided it was time to make a move.
        This elevation of bin Salman. imo, seems to me to reinforce that view.

• seabrznsun says:

For some reason all of this business being carried out by President Trump with King Salman regarding Saudi Arabia reminds me of the movie reminiscent of “Lawrence of Arabia”.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Great! YES. Very much!

• Dr T says:

I’m sorry but all these comments here show a truly naive and romantized version of these rulers and the KSA. I mean some ladies here on the Treehouse are saying this prince is “handsome and easy on the eyes”!!!???( as a female myself I find him and any of them repulsive).
          That he will help women achieve more freedoms??? If you have ever been in the KSA and seen these people up close you’d have a very different opinion. These people are truly addicted to wealth the likes of which we have never been exposed to in America . They are also addicted to power and practice beheadings for even minor infractions. These are simply businessmen that are making a good business deal for the here and now. There is nothing “wise” about this king that you can “gather ” from a picture or video. He’s ill that’s for sure. He wants to retain power for his line that’s obvious and his talks with President Trump has shown him an opportunity for this, hence his son’s ascension . Don’t get me wrong, I think this bodes well for our purpose right now but this is not a “sign” that they will be more secular for the people of their country , especially women . These are rulers with enormous wealth that want to retain that wealth and power. They care nothing about the people of their country.
          Nothing at all. Please don’t delude yourselves in this manner .

• seabrznsun says:

You, good Dr., need not attempt to respond to my post as though you have the ability to read my mind. Please refrain from doing so. My comment strictly refers to T. E. Lawrence and his successful campaign referencing Saudi Arabia’s culture and his understanding of it which he lead during WWI. I don’t find the King’s son particularly attractive. But, worse, I do not find others who have even attempted to accomplish what President Trump has in Saudi Arabia and the other Arab and Islamic countries extraordinarily, much like T. E. Lawrence was able to accomplish.

• mikeyboo says:

I hope you are wrong but I am wary of “undue” optimism.

• Sayit2016 says:

Ok….different strokes for different folks. To some he is an attractive MALE to you he is not BECAUSE he is a Saudi. According to you that is your feeling on ALL Saudi men. Got it. That actually sounds discriminatory. But whatev..

As a woman I prefer a different look– broad shoulders, Blonde and hazel eyes or blue… but I can appreciate an attractive man when I see it even if it is not my cup of tea. I have traveled extensively all over the world and have been several times to Dubai/Quatar -and what I have learned is that NORMAL people want the same thing. Love, a livelihood, a roof over their heads, a future for their children and food on the table. Whenever I hear people say ” nothing will change” I have to smile– because no sooner do they say that ..things start to change.

The old Mullahs and Kings are dying out and a fair number of people from that part of the world have been educated in this country. They do not subscribe to all their parents did ..The demographics are changing there as well…So don’t be so certain that things will never change….People HOPE things will change–there are strong women fighting that good fight there for freedom and free expression. There was a time in this country when the piano legs were covered as not to “inflame mends minds”….Don’t diminish them.

You talk about them being ” addicted to POWER” really have you looked around DC lately ? Yes some of the regimes are brutal– as it has always been– but people are demanding change as well…

In closing…Word to the wise…. the women on this site are strong and opinionated ( my favorite kind) so you scolding them for simply making a comment on the fact that some found this man attractive is just kinda dumb. No one said they were flying to meet him and marry him. Sheesh. It was simply a visual observation. These are grown, educated, street smart, sharp as tack, funny as hell women–they know what they like and what they do not. You are not going to tell them anything.

Good talk….

• lcpusa says:

did you work as a millwright there? [my trade too]

• dalethorn says:

Trump is probably the first of our leaders to give the Saudis the sense that their sovereignty and leadership in their region is fully supported by the U.S., with a clear sense of purpose and direction. When I look at all that’s been done between us and them under Trump, I feel very little dread – the clarity of it all is so refreshing compared to the dark attitudes under Obama, and Obama’s untrustworthiness.

• piper567 says:

dalethorn, I agree w/you…bin Salman is of the generation wherein many remain unemployed. I DO think he “gives a damn” about his fact, and he is risking a tremendous amount by even thinking about a future not so heavily dependent on oil revenues. So much of what was discussed while TRUMP was in KSA had to do with making more work for Saudis as well as Americans.
        bin Salman knows this, and I think he understands the value of this bilateral support. I think it v wise of TRUMP to put forward the reduction of hate and violence as the one unifying “demand”, allowing the Saudis to deal with the ways and means of slowly and reluctantly bringing the Nation into the modern world.
        I believe bon Salman recognizes the value of this “no other demands” approach, and King Salman does also…And the King believes, for his reasons, that bin Salman is the one capable of discharging this complex undertaking. This elevation of bin Salman is, in a way, imo, a method for the King to cement his actual intended legacy. As someone pointed out earlier, this young man could be King for many decades to come.
        I believe that concern for the inner workings of things Royal is a sideshow in which we needn’t be involved…and certainly the Saudis must appreciate this approach from The TRUMP Doctrine.

13. Jimmy Jack says:

So much winning in one day.

14. Maquis says:

This is truly extraordinary. This is a young man, wise beyond his years, seeing Muslim Women as currently short-changed (thanks to CathyMAGA for that epic tweet!), a reformer young enough to see truly Generational Change in the manner that the Custodians Of The Two Holy Mosques interpret and practice Islam, and how they project those changes globally. Shall they install reformist Imams and Teachers in the Multitude of Mosques and Madrassas and University Institutions throughout the world? Shall the Jurisprudence of the Wahabbi Sect, the primary antogonists of the Saudi Royals who rule by virtue of Wahabbi support/consent, follow suit and join with the Al-Azzar University in Cairo in forming an Islam that merits the respect and adopts the social progress of Western Civilization?

So much exciting stuff happening. So wonderful that it is all in large part a repudiation of Obama’s twisted and irrational assaults on the Muslim World. Obama, most likely, or, perhaps, just maybe, is an agent of Chaos if not in the Service of Hell, then of Iran, in utterly destabilizing the Sunnis across the Mahgreb and the Levant, and far further I am certain if he could have managed it.

I’m so proud that President Donald John Trump recognized the winds of change and quickly identified and embraced the change agents, Al-Sisi, and MBS, King Abdullah (though large elements of Jordan appear to have a lot of Israel hate issues still), and, of course, Bibi Netanyahu, who I personally feel a great fondness and respect for. Refreshing to have clear-eyed leaders that love their countries! The Leftist Agitator Media can suck it. This amazing transformation will take place without them, and woe betide them if they seek to thwart any of it. History will condemn the MSM, and praise Trump, recognizing his change catalyzing courage, charisma, and wisdom, not to mention his simple yet profound love of Human Beings.

• wheatietoo says:

I don’t think we are “trying to provoke WWIII in Syria”.

Our President said he would ‘wipe out ISIS’.
      I think our SecDef Mattis is doing that…and ISIS happens to be there in Syria.

When that mission is accomplished, we will be gone.
      In the mean time, Assad can either assist us…or he should instruct his personnel to stay clear of our operations.

• I think Maquis used the generic “we” in reference to the Deep State and RINO enablers like Insane McCain.

• Maquis says:

Roughly, yes, I don’t believe Trump wants that at all, but the place is a tinderbox and we have been risking a lot of sparks. Frankly, that confuses and frustrates me. I worry if our President’s men have things firmly in hand there, or are exceeding their charter.

In all honesty, if we want to reverse Obama’s Chaos Doctrine, we need to undo our errors even in Syria, largely for the sake of stabilization. Who do the D.S. people think will run Syria post Assad? John McCain? The Wet-Nurse of ISIS?

• President Trump has impressive strategic focus for National Security relating to Radical Islamic Terror:

• Annihilate ISIS.

• Annihilate Global Terrorist Groups concurrently.

• End Migratory Metastasis of Radicalized Muslims.

• Eliminate Islamic Radicalization.

IMO, these seem to be his sequence, first for urgency, then the capacity and timeframe required for SUCCESS.

“ISIS as the priority” helps clear the air for any personal frustration, and helps explain when we seem to be using holding patterns for related challenges or foregoing responses to Russian/Iranian dog-whistles.

• Maquis says:

Assad cannot assist us unless we are talking with him.

• Daniel says:

• Sayit2016 says:

“not just recognized the winds of change, but influencing the winds.” Careful….President Trump will be accused of “Climate Change” ; 0

• Maquis says:

That seems obvious on it’s face, doesn’t it? Our economy made a U-turn even before the inauguration, and the light of opportunity for change, true virtuous rational and peaceful change, swept the globe. Sure, we have Communist Hellholes that weren’t feeling the love; Cuba, Western MSM, dar al-Stupid…

Every skeptic that enters the White House for a sit-down and serious searching for solutions comes out with eyes wide open, at least in shock if not in full conversion: “That’s a REAL President with an honest heart and an open mind.” To paraphrase Abu Mazen, “Under this President we can acheive real peace…and genuine civilizational progress.”

• “Now, if we can stop trying to provoke WWIII in Syria and arrange a working detente with Russia and accept a stabilizing dictator in Syria without “Freedom Fighters” striving to accomplish nothing more than deliver the country to ISIS/Al-Queda/Al-Nusra/Al-Itneverends…”
      Good thinking Assad can run that country better than any other, while Petro Poroshenko kills anything Russian! Next up the next meeting of Presidents; Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump!!! Talk about muh Russia; the phone call, “for you we take care of Soros, now about Ukraine!”—–“But Syria, ISIL, Bashar al-Assad”—– Da we need to talk…..OK, are you free next month for dinner on me?…Why not; that would drive even Pravda folk nutz.

• G. Combs says:

Don’t I wish Will!

Maybe Trump can make a deal.

Putin gets to take ALL the Soros if he takes the Clintons and Comey too…..

• Maquis says:

I very much welcome that, The Vodka Summit.

I also agree that a deal where G. Soros, et fils, disappear and are discovered in Hungarian prison cells with the doors welded shut.

As for Ukraine, THEY sought to manipulate our election. And it’s time for some real common sense politics.

We dropped the ball on the end of the Cold War. We had no Marshall Plan, and every Russian knows this and resents it. We threw away a chance to make a friend on the order of Japan and pre-Globalist Germany. Instead, we let the Robber Barons take over, and Western Corporatists raided much of Russia’s wealth in that “transition” othetwise known as Chaos. This, from OUR perspective, should be feharded as one of the greatest geo-political disasters of the Twentieth Century.

Then, post Faux Reset ala Zero and Killary, we rejected serious Russian attempts to join the West. They wanted to be part of NATO! But that wouldn’t do for War-Head McSlain. Gotta have enemies and killing, his plate is empty without such. Obama and the remainder of America’s only Illegitimate Administration stiff-armed them.

So Russia returns to her Millenia plus practice of creating vassal states around it to keep wars off of Russian soil. Crimes is perfectly understandable in that light. So is the current Ukranian “Insurgency” in the East. Trump and Putin and Poroshenko could end that “Insurgency” in three phone calls and one sit down with a huge well detailed map, and a Sharpie market. Call it “Phone and Pen” diplomacy.

The Russians want one thing out of Ukraine; a free and clear and defensible land route from Russia to the Crimea. Any of us Treepers with Military experience could look at Topographic, Satellite, and Road Maps and devise a route and a new border with a buffer-zone. Add mutual deconfliction by each side having a strip of semi-demilitarized area on each side of the line, merely to avoid tensions.

That gives the Russians what they want, which, from their perspective, they need and long had prior to 1991.

For Ukraine? A peace accord, a non-aggression pact, and Energy guarantees in perpetuity.

There would be a one-year declaration of loyalties and relocation to their respective sides of tbe border compensated by both governments, after that year, regardless of your wishes, you are a citizen of Russia, had you failed to declare and relocate.

Okay, maybe several phone calls, but at Trump Speed, tbis could be in effect by tbe end of this year. Including the eternal imprisionment of Soris and son, and confiscation of their wealth to fund the Russian Crimea Land Route Accord.

I think PDJT and Pjtin could have a well developed working relationship after that. It wouldn’t hurt to acknowledge that Russia sees itself as the Eternal Champion of Unapologetic Christianity and the Caucasian Race, again, unapologetically. This perspective is not without merit.

• Will Janoschka says:

wheatietoo says: June 21, 2017 at 4:31 am
      “I don’t think we are “trying to provoke WWIII in Syria”. Our President said he would ‘wipe out ISIS’.”
      Indeed but not just in Syria. Just what\who is the Iranian government supporting?

“I think our Sec-def Mattis is doing that…and ISIS happens to be there in Syria”.
      General Mattis understands both politics and force (warfare). Tricky dat!

Daniel says: June 21, 2017 at 5:07 am
      “Somehow I think President Trump had something to do with this, that is to say not just recognized the winds of change, but influencing the winds.”
      Trump: The Art\power of the Deal.

• IndiaMaria says:

No WW III in Syria. Freedom Alliance is calling the shots. Egypt, Jordan, Saudi and 53 other Muslim countries SIGNED agreement to work AGAINST Terrorism, , i.e. IRAN, Syria….U.S. Military is the de facto leader of this Alliance. The mess was created by BUSH, CLINTON, BUSH, OBAMA. It is now being fixed.

• Maquis says:

That’s the plan and I am 100% for it.

My reservations are about end goals, and stomping too forcefully on the wrong toes.

Unfortunately, we have to add President Reagan to that list. Being in Beirut, I am not sure about the wisdom of that, and that was Carter wasn’t it? But 241 Marines in one fell swoop meritted more than a withdrawl, we should have left a crater behind that would now be a large lake. He had his hands full, to be sure, with the Cold War, and I was glad to have been part of that. But we signaled weakness in a realm where that is rewarded with more death.

But most of the responsibility goes to the clowns you odentified, no doubt.

15. yakmaster2 says:

The Bloomberg article says that Saudi Allegiance Council support for MBS is 31 out of 34, so this move by the King must have come from a consensus that MSB has the vision and capabilities needed NOW. I’m thinking, though a surprise to the rest of the world, MSB’s succession was expected in Saudi Arabia.

• The Bloomberg article also said the new Prince’s predecessor had, in an effort to balance the govt budget, CUT SALARIES bigly of the leading bureaucracy, which I think meant the Royal Family. New Prince expected to restore those salaries. Lots of blah-blah about how good that was, but . . . to me, standard case of bureaucrats fight back.

While all of our KSA foreign policy suppositions may be correct, we should not neglect the internal politics of all this. And, IMNSHO, money is everything.

16. fedback says:

Like this guy, charismatic

17. MOA says:

Needs a shave.
    As all the Saudi royals are, he’s a captive of the Wahhabist imams…. they export terror and Sharia worldwide.

18. MOA says:

And gotta say I love this “Saudi Royals” stuff….. try Bedouin goat herders, who, not many generations ago fell on good times.

19. wheatietoo says:

The Arabs like a strong horse.
    It is a part of their culture…and they instinctually and unapologetically are drawn to who they see as the ‘strong horse’.

During Pres Trump’s visit there, I couldn’t help but notice this Prince Bin Salman.
    He was always there, in the group…and the deference that was paid to him by others, told me that this guy was powerful.

I think that the Saudis see Our President as a strong horse.
    It was evident in the way that they treated him.
    He has 3 strong sons…and in Arab culture, this is an important thing.

Below is a tribute video, of Pres Trump’s visit.
    Even though I’ve posted this video before, it’s worth watching again to see MBS in it.

Prince Bin Salman appears at 0:50, 1:21, 1:43 and 1:59.

Note the shot of Pres Trump at 1:26….I have not seen that particular bit of footage of Our President anywhere else but in this video.

Prince Bin Salman wants to move his country from it’s ‘oil economy’ to an economy that is not dependent on their Oil.
    This is a $2 Trillion Dollar Project.
    He could buy up Amazon, Google, Warren Buffett and more, with that kind of funding…and have a lot left to spare.

• wheatietoo says:

This is an article from a year ago, that gives a lot of details about Prince Bin Salman.

Some good photos, too.

• Janie M. says:

Very impressive young man, wheatietoo. Also handsome. His father made an excellent choice is selecting him as his successor. This well educated Prince is wise beyond his years.

• wheatietoo says:

I thought it was interesting that Prince Salman was furious with Obama for what he did with Iran.

Prince Salman really hates Iran.

• Janie M. says:

It has been alleged a Saudi paid ozero’s tuition for Harvard… he eventually pushed them aside. Does anyone in the M.E. like Iran? I think not, not even Turkey who is equally untrustworthy.

• bofh says:

“Does anyone in the M.E. like Iran?”

Nobody in the ME “likes” anybody else in the ME. It’s all tribal, with Euro-created artificial borders and states.

• Dr T says:

Wow. Wow . Wow …. impressive ? Also handsome ??? Wise beyond his years???
          How romantic. Perhaps like “Lawrence of Arabia “?? ( someone said that earlier). You can’t be that naive. These are tribal but very wealthy people who all hate each other but have bought everything that great wealth can buy for themselves for the past 65 years , including great education for their children successors . There is nothing “handsome ” about any of them, nor wise. Just slick . And repulsive as men . Most women in the “kingdom ” have undergone FGM under the rule of law of these “kings ” and “princes “. Kind of a far cry from Prince William of England or even our own President who was in fact truly handsome at the age of 31 and educated at the best Ivy schools , becoming truly wise then and now. Our POTUS is the wise one and the only handsome man in that room. Great that he was able to wisely bring them to the table of rationality but let us not delude ourselves into believing this PR campaign of the day that they are mounting today for their own benefit.: to retain great wealth and power forever and ever . Let us also not forget what they were complicit in doing to us on 9/11. We are in the best position we’ve been with them in decades but let’s not laud them with completely undeserved compliments regarding their “handsomeness” and “wisdom “. Yuk.

• An excellent Bloomberg article, wheatietoo. However, given my somewhat advanced age, I can tell you I was reading an article that sounded almost EXACTLY like this one – THIRTY YEARS AGO.

Yes, the guys at the top talking to Westerners talk about modernizing, getting away from dependence on oil, etc., but it seem such progress is slow. I, too, recommend watching Laurence of Arabia, especially the last ten minutes. Alec Guinness was PERFECT in the role of the King of Saudi Arabia. This is the most accurate depiction of the Saudi Royal Family I have ever seen – totally nuanced, just perfect.

20. MOA says:

“Salman wants to move his country from it’s ‘oil economy’ to an economy that is not dependent on their Oil.”

If that involves the locals, impossible.
    Expats Europeans, Pakistanis and Philipinos and Sri Lankans et al do the work. The Saudis don’t stoop so low.
    Salman is posturing for his Western benefactors, if you can find a way to short Saudi when the oil runs out, do it. The place will become Chad 30 years after that happens, the Royals having long departed for Monaco.

• wheatietoo says:

They will if their ‘allowances’ are cut back.
      And that is what has been going on…also their unemployment is very high right now.

• Bang.
        MBS may just become the Saudi version of President Trump.
        No indicators to the contrary.

• Dr T says:

Black knight : I can’t believe you said that!!!!
          This prince is “the Saudi version of President Trump”??????? Wow… how insulting to our President. Maybe Don jr can someday be a version of his outstanding patriotic father but This ?!!! I can’t believe you said this. I held you in higher esteem. Wow. These “princes” have overseen a country where tyranny is the rule of law for their benefit for generations, including cutting children’s hands ( read the post below ), FGM, beheadings, death by stoning etc all for sometimes even minor infractions on their Sharia law!!! How is this even comparable to President Trump????? He just made them a deal they couldn’t refuse: to retain their wealth in power by behaving!!! That’s all there is to it . Not anything to do about any kind of “greatness” in this sordid and borderline human individual. He’s just the new “face” for their PR move at this time. What a daft comment. And how “romantic novel like” to assume such a comparison.

• Old Codger says:

Somebody been pissing in your cornflakes for some time now, eh, MOA?

Guess Dr Seuss didn’t pay you enough for your trademark Grinch personality, eh?

Bet you watch “Casablanca” and cheer for Major Strasse!

• Sandra-VA says:

They have ejected majority of their foreign workers – including 40k Pakistanis a short while ago in the name of wiping out “terrorism”.

In my observations it seems to me that the Kingdom is trying to correct the evil they unleashed on the world with the Muslim World League (Muslim Brotherhood etc).

I really think they have come to their senses and realize that 6th century rules no longer work. It will be a long process, but Islam may finally be going through a reformation just as Christianity did. Another example is this spat with Qatar – they want them to stop funding terrorism.

This is all very encouraging.

• Dr T says:

Most intellectually honest post of the day. You are 100% correct. This is just posturing to retain their oil wealth revenues for the next 8 years while President Trump is in office. Later, they’ll decide what to do. But in the meantime they are aware that this “prince” is a better PR face for them.

21. wheatietoo says:

He is referred to as Mr. Everything.

22. wheatietoo says:

This interview was done a few weeks before Pres Trump’s visit.

It is subtitled, so you can follow what they’re saying.

• Terrific contributions, Wheatietoo: Thank you.

• wheatietoo says:

Thanks, and you’re very welcome.

I think MBS speaks English…and probably quite well…because even in this interview, he was inserting a few English words, like “side effects”, for example.

In that article above, I noticed that they said he would sometimes “correct his translator”.
        Heh.

• rashamon says:

Nice additions to understanding his background, wheatie. Thank you.

SA seem to have changed from the days when my friends worked there for various oil divisions and the hospitals. The imans ran the show with the royal family seldom involved. Most of the workers were immigrants who were treated very poorly. An Arab doctor who later came to the U.S. lamented that he spent much of his time treating youngsters who had their right hands chopped off for stealing food.

An American could not fire or disrupt any activity by a citizen of SA that would be considered illegal elsewhere. One friend who managed an operation for an American contractor was jailed for two years when he fired a Saudi “accountant” who was stealing thousands monthly, apparently a right for anyone related to the royals. This was common, so it was difficult to keep executives in jobs very long.

Of course, women could not drive and had to be fully covered when they left the American/European compounds. They had plenty of servants, so their days were spent playing cards and sipping cocktails (contents shipped in thanks to diplomatic couriers). Not many stayed beyond the few years it took for the exorbitant salaries to make a comfortable vacation and retirement fund. However, money does not conquer all; marriages didn’t last long under such circumstances.

Maybe the course is changing.

• Dr T says:

Wheatie: I am so impressed… he speaks some English and he is fluent enough to even correct the interpreter at times …so accomplished!!
          What a daft comment.
          You really like to see the world through rosy colored glasses I guess. But our President does not thank God. He just made them a deal they couldn’t refuse because they’re going down financially from the stratospheres of wealth from oil they were accustomed to . These princes are all very wicked men even the more educated ones. They kill , they maim , they oppress others . And wow , now they can understand English and “pretend ” to be western “gentlemen “. That is either daft or propaganda

• Your ignorance is surpassed by your myopia.

Back to you Daily Beast: It becomes your style.

• Maquis says:

You have officially declared your Trolldom.

Guess you never read Art of the Deal.

Or anything Dale Carnegie wrote.

Endless one-note harping and irrational personal harassment do not become a Treeper, then again, you clearly are not tempermentally capable of the civility cherished here.

Sad.

• MOA says:

You seem to miss the point by a wide margin.
              If PTrump is negotiating from a deeply cynical position where he is aware that the Saudi’s are possibly the greatest financial supporters of world wide terrorism and he says what’s required to play them . Wonderful. I expect nothing else.
              Alas, the naive cheer squad for these terrorist supporters evident above seems to really truly believe the Saudis are soon to be more US loving boy scouts and cultural allies in the Middle East.

There is something about the sand dunes that draws Americas delusional fantasies out.
              Some more blue finger elections perhaps?

• Maquis says:

Ignoring your endless harping is not ignoring the point of this post nor the perspectives of most all but the two of you, who have, via intense unpleasantness, personal assaults and insults, made your points much weaker than civility might have achieved.

We are all aware of the perils and natures of the region and peoples and ideologies. Not one has suggested we bare our necks, close our eyes, cast wide our gates, drop our borders, burn our history books, or stop killing Islamists. I’d say, quite frankly, that most of those you revile here would be willing to quarantine all Islam, until it is extinguished, should tbey fail to follow tbrough on tbe radical new path of peace that President Trump has offered tbem as an alternative.

No one has achieved PDJT’s degree of sweeping revolutionary vision, action, and successb with much more to come. We will support him, trust our God, (not a meterorite) arm ourselves, and stock up for the long fight ahead should Islam refuse this once-in-its-history opportunity.

You’ve brought nothing to this post that most of us haven’t already known, or shared and learned here, and you’ve both ignored a great deal in order to present only your single-minded hostility.

I would point it all out, all that you’ve ignored, but hard-hearted willful arrogant blindness is on it’s chooser, and not likely to be dispersed by those with both eyes and heart, as proven herein.

Further attempts at incitment will, indeed, be ignored.

23. Brian L says:

Wonder if he’s going to try to move away from Wahabism.

• lcpusa says:

totally. the old king posing with melania and ivanka, while they wore western garb, was a huge message. this move further cements that the KSA is committed to change going forward.

• Maquis says:

That’s what I’m hoping. MBS would have thousands of Imams globally to reign in, but if al-Sisi can stand up to the scholars of al-Azzar, declaring a new course, and get a standing ovation, then a reformist MBS would be in good company, either leading or riding a tectonic ideological shift. He could even use their massive Global Wahabbist infrastructure and organization to shift gears, including on American Campi. Oh, the splodeyness, it smells so sweet!

This is worthy of prayer. Trolls can cover their ears and hum over that part, out in the parking lot.

24. NJF says:

Great news!!!

More winning!

25. MVW says:

Marketing Islam. How to whitewash 1400 years of slave trade and terror. No doubt Mohammed was just a nice guy and misunderstood.

• thluckyone says:

MVW, I think I hear what you’re saying. Though many Muslims can be saved, I still believe there is no reform for Islam. For the sake of the human race, Mohammad’s Islam – as we know it now – must die. Could there be any real “change”? I think it more likely that the Saudis are rearranging deck chairs on their own Titanic. The US could become entirely energy independent. OPEC could become irrelevant. Saudi money may be drying up.

One possible hint, however, of real change in the ideology of Islam would be for Al-Azhar to publish that “apostates should not be murdered”. If you see that happen – and if you see it stick – then the sands may indeed be shifting. I would love to live to see it happen.

I’m not holding my breath.

• Daniel says:

People could have said the same about the evolution of Christianity over the centuries. It has been many things and continues to evolve and develop. Just because Islam is more resistant to change doesn’t mean it will never happen. Just wake me if it does you know?

• dalethorn says:

I don’t think any attempt at apologies would work. To keep Islam for the future, they would need some strong leaders to come up with a reform plan that’s forward-looking, inspiring, imaginitive, positive, with challenges that simply leave the old Islam in the dust. It could be done, but it would require an enormous effort. And it would be a huge opportunity for Saudi Arabia to lead the Islamic world on all fronts. This is their window of opportunity, in this Trump era, so we will see whether they seize their opportunity, or blow it.

• Benson II says:

If their serious all they have to do is start with the children. Look how the commies have taken our Christian nation and proud to be American children and turned them into sexual gluttons and Bernie supporters.
        If we’d done more than just listen to Reagan’s (as they turned out prophesies) we wouldn’t be where we are today.
        “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”
        – Ronald Reagan –

26. CRITICAL CHANGE:
    The King changed the line of succession to require that a DIFFERENT FAMILY succeed his son.

Talk about “Taking the Lumps Out”.

27. md070264 says:

I believe there is much more… He was replaced from interior security …. are there ties that the King was made aware of that would impede a better relationship with the Trump administration…I believe Secretary Tillerson is behind the curtain….with The President at the controls.

28. kyasgrandma says:

Article I read several years back – re: speculation on the next king of Saudi. (02-12-13)
    Interesting read now for a little more background info – although the ascendency speculation was incorrect apparently.

29. joemariner says:

Trouble in the House of Saud.
    M contacts in SA have a different view.
    The gist of their feeling is this, that Mohammed bin Salman their new Crown Prince is impetuous they cite the following against him.
    1. That he’s a bully impetuous and doesn’t like anyone who will stand up against him. He’s openly ambitious and is a firm Wahhabi. Who, all three are saying that the clerics – have his ear.
    2. The blame him for the Qatar/Saudi tiff, is laid by all three, firmly at his door.
    3. They also blame the involvement in the Yemen on Mohammed bin Salman (HBS). This is solely due in their opinion, to his dislike of the Houthi (Shia). They are an independent bunch and in Abdul’s opinion are being forcibly driven into the Iranian circle of influence. As Abdul say’s, that they had an unofficial agreement with the Houthi along the borders with Asir. They took care of the drug smugglers, AQAP – no questions asked. It worked very well until the Governor found out, then it had to be scrapped.
    4. All three fear under HBS, that there will be a more forceful intervention into Iraqi affairs. That he will use the Sunni Anbar Sheikhs to stir trouble for the Shia-led Government in Iraq. To a lot of the Whabbi clerics, a Shia-led Government in Baghdad is a complete and utter anathema.
    5. The oil glut they too lay at his door. This I personally think is a step too far, it would have been a joint decision to pump oil, involving the Oil Minister and ARAMCO senior management.

Mohammad bin Nayef will with his brothers fight back, expect a major rift in the House of Saud. They won’t take this lying down if King Salman dies, it will break out into a huge open power struggle. As the Security Minister Mohammad bin Nayef will know exactly where the power levers are. He will use them to very good effect.

• soozword says:

I read an article somewhere a few weeks ago about the two Mohammed’s who were competing for the succession. What you convey from your SA contacts on MBS seems consistent with that article — sorry, have no idea where it came from but it seemed a pretty objective look at both candidates. This has tempered my enthusiasm, but always open to pleasant surprises later!

30. HammerDog says:

The Saudis are Wahhabis and finance most of the radical mosques throughout the world. AQ, ISIS, and all their various spin-offs are of the Sunni/Wahhabi/Salafist line. The Iranian/Shia are, compared to the Sunni/Wahhabis, less backward and brutal, although that’s not saying much. Why should we be happy with the goings on in Saudi and our shift to them v Iran?

31. jefcool64 says:

A move like this cannot be stated as overblown. Messing with succession laws is a big political capitol move for a monarchy.

32. fleporeblog says:

Amazing what one man can do when driven with a purpose! WE are the luckiest people on the face of the earth today. Our grand kids and their kids will see North Africa and the ME as a place they can visit while Europe will be a no fly zone because all that will be left is the extremist that were run out of North Africa and the ME.

This decision yesterday is more evidence of it.

NATO’s Secretary General, Jens Stoltenberg, had a press conference a few weeks ago. He goes onto say on a few different occasions that NATO will NOT engage in combat in Afghanistan or anywhere else in the ME. He talks about the fact that their job is to train, assist and advise

This bastard was proud of the fact that they have 4 combat battalions ready and will continue to deploy them as part of the Ukraine, Crimea mission.

Meanwhile President al-Sisi decided 6 hours after the killing of Coptic Christians in Egypt decided to bomb the sh….t out of ISIS in Libya. Christians only make up 10% of the Egyptian population. The U.K. has done sh…t since the 3 terrorist attacks over the past three months. That is all I have to say about the U.K. versus Egypt.

Also there is this wonderful piece of information that was inspired by our PRESIDENT!

From the article linked above:

In a brief news conference following the meeting, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir and Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said they wanted to strengthen bilateral ties, expand their counterterrorism efforts under the auspices of a new Saudi anti-terrorism center and work with US President Donald Trump, who recently attended a summit in Riyadh.

“The US represented by President Donald Trump has affirmed its commitment to this, and President Trump’s attendance at this historic summit was a very strong indication of the desire of the US to work with Arab and Islamic countries,” Al-Jubeir said.

33. dervish114 says:

This is bad. MBS is all about more escalation and conflict. On a related note, watch for a coup in Qatar this week, while Prince Tamim is in Paris, and a pro-Saudi replacement is installed.

• Beenthere says:

Forget Qatar; the natives are relatively at peace. I’m still waiting for the Turkish, Iranian, or Venezuelan coup to take place.

34. LibertyVibe says:

Great Article Sundance. I had an “Ah Ha” moment when I clicked on the embedded linkfrom Bloomberg: Who is MSB? It said: “Saudi Arabia and Iran are in a proxy war over Syria”. After that, it all made sense. Here is the link: https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-06-21/saudi-arabia-names-mohammed-bin-salman-as-crown-prince-j46gx3nq

35. Ziiggii says:

“…removing the country’s counterterrorism czar and a figure well-known to Washington from the royal line of succession.

… the monarch stripped Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, who had been positioned to inherit the throne, from his title as crown prince and from his powerful position as the country’s interior minister overseeing security.

A lot of talk about MBS becoming Crown Prince, but not much regarding whom he was replacing…

Is this not the bigger issue in the story?

I do not know much, if anything, of KSA politics, but it’s seems to me that this shakeup has more to do with bin Nayef then it does MBS. I wonder if Trump / Tillerson went after KSA for it’s support of all these Wabahabi-saki idiots (aka AQ and ISIS) and this is how the KSA are showing them that the kingdom is ready to change?

36. georgiafl says:

Hmmm – re: newly-proclaimed Crown Prince bin Salman:
    “In late 2015, Prince bin Salman attended a meeting between King Salman and United States President Barack Obama, where the prince broke protocol to deliver a monologue criticizing U.S. foreign policy.”

Much more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_bin_Salman

37. 5haircut says:

What our president is doing is slowly putting the world back in order. It must scare the holy hell out of all the nasty people like- the DNC- the head cutter gehadis- Geo. Soros – black lives matter-and all the uni- party like our Anti-american law makers. All these nasty folks including Hillery and Barry need the full fury o the screwed over American people to fall on them. I can’t wait to see America declare vengeance on the sonsabitches

38. winky says:

This is really sickening that criminal Hillary and her band of junior criminals still have security clearances after what they have done…..just plain sickening.

39. ThankYou,Treepers says:

These Saudis are all devout muslims which means they adhere to the tenets of islam.

islam commands its ensnared to murder or enslave the non-compliant including murdering anybody who speaks the truth about islam.

The idea that there are reformers or potential peace seeking USA allies among them is beyond naive to dangerous.

What more after 9/11, funding sunni hate-preaching mosques worldwide and raising alquida, ISIS and every other jihad group need the Saudis do for Americans to accept the reality of the relentlessly murderous hatred devout muslims have for Christianity and the West.