Tiananmen – 28 Years Ago Today…

It was 28 years ago tonight when the Chinese government sent the Mongolian Army into Tiananmen Square to crackdown on the mostly student protestors.

It is against the law in China to recognize today, memorialize the dead, or even speak publicly of this bloody anniversary.   Few people know the short and long-term political ramifications to this event which extended far beyond the borders of China.

Many people are familiar with this image:

However, not as many people are as familiar with the wide shot.

That’s some serious courage right there.

The June 4th 1989 anniversary holds a great deal of personal significance for those who witnessed the events.

Few people even know how most of the regular Chinese military refused orders to open fire on the protesting crowd.   Hundreds of young Chinese military soldiers actually formed lines around the mostly student activists in an effort to protect them.  The Chinese government eventually bypassed the regulars and instructed the Mongolian military divisions who carried out the orders.

No-one really knows how many were killed, and even the families of the fallen were too scared to speak publicly.

Those who were lost live-on in whispered memories of lore.

So many.

So young.

We remember.

This entry was posted in China, Communist, Heros, media bias, Military, propaganda, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

103 Responses to Tiananmen – 28 Years Ago Today…

1. RedBallExpress says:

And we think we have a swamp.

2. Curry Worsham says:

The words of Patrick Henry apply directly to this anonymous young man.

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

• lastinillinois says:

Beautiful words, more poignant each day.

• heldnmut says:

Thank you. I love Mr. Henry. Colonial Williamsburg has enactors and “Patrick Henry” is a walking encyclopedia of his life, causes and words. Highly recommend you visit if you have never been there.

• Curry Worsham says:

Well, yes, I’ve been there.I went to W&M, lived on DOG St. in what is now Shield’,s Tavern, balladeered in the taverns, played Washington in the “Common Glory”, performed as a Queen’s Ranger at the Moore House in Yorktown and was in the Perry Como Christmas show. I attended the Bicentennial of the British surrender with Reagan and Mitterand. I attended the Bicentennial reenactment of Henry.s speech at St. John’s Church in Richmond. Oh, and I know all the mistakes in “The Story of a Patriot”. 🙂

• Linda Smith says:

In China, today, the Christian movement is growing faster than the Chinese government can squash.

More recently, in China, Ren Jianyu, a 25-year-old former college student “village official” was given a two-year re-education through labor sentence for an online anti-CPC speech. A T-shirt of Ren’s saying “Give me liberty or give me death!” (in Chinese) has been taken as evidence of his anti-social guilt.

• mtkennedy21 says:

One of my medical students about ten years ago was the daughter of a professor at Beijing U. She came to the US for medical school so she could care for her parents when they were old. Her father had been educated as a physicist but worked as an auto mechanic because he was Christian.

3. alliwantissometruth says:

History repeats itself. This is the globalist vision they see for us

Corrupt, greedy & evil people gain control of the power structure, what do you think is going to happen?

We’re looking at our future if the brainwashed sheep of the West continue down the path of leftism

• Curry Worsham says:

Yes. I believe Sundance posted this as a reminder of the powerful globalist/collectivist enemy we and PDJT are facing.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

The ChiNazis are not just bought into globalism, lock, stock and barrel – they plan to run the show. Globalism’s heavy, sneaky, pitiless hand is THEIR hand, passing through their borders like an invisible cloud.

We will not be fighting the ChiNazis in the future. We are fighting them now.

4. rsmith1776 says:

THANK YOU Sundance.

While we should be smart about understanding the practical and realistic necessities of the political moment – which include dealing with Russian and Chinese leaders in a smart, productive way, without believing for a second the idiotic, false narratives of “collusion” – we should NEVER go the other way, forgetting the incredible horrors inflicted by Mao and the Soviet/Russian leaders on many hundreds of millions of people.

I will take the opportunity to recommend to every single Treeper who wants to find the precise dimensions of (pre-Tiananmen but the point stands) Mao’s ugliness and INCREDIBLE evil this BEST Mao biography, written by a Chinese historian who escaped China and her husband.

If you want to know the real history of those times, this book is indispensable.

• bessie2003 says:

Another outstanding book, about the time and experiences of the Cultural Revolution that began in 1966 is the autobiographical book “Life and Death in Shanghai” by Nien Cheng.

• MaineCoon says:

In the early ’90s I went to China. A very reputable, business-related ground operator hosted my sightseeing. After the regular stuff, I said I wanted to go to where Mao was on display at Tienanmen Sq. He lied and said he wasn’t there.

My m/m clients had seen him in a see-through glass top coffin on the edge area of Tienanmen Square. They told me the Chinese weren’t to tell foreign visitors of the Mao viewing site. So my guide kept lying and saying Mao wasn’t there. I faced his lie down and he took me to the site (only b/c the company was bringing lots of visitors).

People were queued to pass by for a viewing and pay their respects. The Chinese were expressionless.

He was as coldhearted dead as alive.

• rsmith1776 says:

“He was as coldhearted dead as alive.”

If anything, it must have brought an improvement.

One image that will stay with me forever, from the Chang / Halliday book – this mass-murderer of Muhammad / Stalin / Castro / Idi Amin / Pol Pot / Hitler proportions (and I mean those proportions in conjunction with the dark opportunities they had, which differed between them) sent Chinese toddlers to murder other toddlers, the sons and daughters of the “class enemy”, to toughen them up.

We MUST remember real history and teach it to our sons and daughters, especially when a corrupt, far left school system refuses to do so.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

This explains a lot, actually. Some of their footsoldiers over here seem pretty warped in their poorly contained hatred of America and Americans. They must still be conditioning some of their people in very nasty ways.

• MaineCoon says:

I will have to get that book.

I just looked at my old passport. I was in China in 1993. I still remember the feeling I had as I stared at Tiananmen Square and the Tank Man video ran through my head. The sheer size of the Square is mind boggling and I kept remembering the scene of the Revolution. I just kept staring in silence. I knew my guide couldn’t talk about it.

The trip had a profound affect on me. I had seen much of that part of the world and never wanted to return. That year I also decided not to go back to Europe & UK. I wanted to remember it as sovereign countries not overrun by Muslims.

Yes. We do need to teach others what needs to be taught and remembered in history.

• JoAnn Leichliter says:

Have read it. Excellent book. Also see the book by Mao’s personal physician, which gives considerable insight into Mao’s character and a different perspective on many of the events in Jung Chang’s book.

• joninmd22 says:

The Black Book of Communism is also excellent.

• JMC says:

Jung Chang is a really great writer. I read her Wild Swans book, which details the lives of three Chinese women – her grandmother, who was the concubine of a warlord, her mother, who with her father were dedicated communist officials and were seriously abused in the Cultural Revolution, and her own story. Jung Chan is a beautiful, dear woman whose writing is divine.

5. MK says:

When soldiers refuse an order, that is a cultural tipping point.

6. aprilyn43 says:

I remember the tank rolling right over that man. I stood in horror as I watched.
    I thank God that I live in a land, that while flawed & corrupted by others, who want to destroy the freedom of ppl, its still the “Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave”.

Thank you Father God, for electing Trump & Pence. We deserved much worse than even Obama, but You O Lord, in Your mercy remembered us, & gave us hope once again. Thank you …

• Curry Worsham says:

No, your memory is deceiving you.

He wore a white shirt and black trousers, and he held two shopping bags. As the tanks came to a stop, the man gestured towards the tanks with one of the bags. In response, the lead tank attempted to drive around the man, but the man repeatedly stepped into the path of the tank in a show of nonviolent action. After repeatedly attempting to go around rather than crush the man, the lead tank stopped its engines, and the armored vehicles behind it seemed to follow suit. There was a short pause with the man and the tanks having reached a quiet, still impasse.

Having successfully brought the column to a halt, the man climbed onto the hull of the buttoned-up lead tank and, after briefly stopping at the driver’s hatch, appeared in video footage of the incident to call into various ports in the tank’s turret. He then climbed atop the turret and seemed to have a short conversation with a crew member at the gunner’s hatch. After ending the conversation, the man descended from the tank. The tank commander briefly emerged from his hatch, and the tanks restarted their engines, ready to continue on. At that point, the man, who was still standing within a meter or two from the side of the lead tank, leaped in front of the vehicle once again and quickly re-established the man–tank standoff.

Video footage shows two figures in blue pulling the man away and disappearing with him into a nearby crowd; the tanks continued on their way. Eyewitnesses are unsure who pulled him aside.

• The Boss says:

Video was from CNN. Back when they were worthwhile. Now, CNN sucks!

• aprilyn43 says:

I watched the tank roll over that man !!
        Sorry I saw it with my own 2 eyes.

• I definitely remember the young man (not a boy) confronting the tank, as described above, and NOT being run over. And I don’t think this is a “your mileage may vary” situation.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Good recall. YES – he was identified initially as a STUDENT. And I remember thinking the question of “why is he carrying stuff like that?” Now I remember him even being referred to back then as “the Chinese student who stopped the tank” – people didn’t call him “Tank Man” until some time later, when he was more iconic.

• MaineCoon says:

That is my memory. The tank ultimately rolled over him. Him body disappearing under the tank.

Until reading above link I’ve never read or heard any version except he was demolished.

Some re-writing history (and I don’t mean wikiPedia. Anyone can re-write it’s version).?

• wolfmoon1776 says:

You saw OTHER people who were run over by tanks. I did, too.

Those horrific pictures were quickly scrubbed by the commie-symp American media – the same media that helped Kennedy’s communist killers get off by creating a wild goose-chase.

The Enemedia fixated on Tank Man as a peaceful symbol which actually HELPED China, and avoided the pictures of the murdered students – which intentional negligence also HELPED China.

I not only saw Tank Man live through the ordeal on TV – I knew somebody who knew a lot of details about him immediately afterward, and the guy was very much alive.

However, I also saw pictures of DEAD PEOPLE who had been run over by tanks. I believe there was even one video of a girl going under a tank, but I’m not positive about that. I think that may be the video people are actually remembering, and as time goes on, the two memories are conflated.

The ChiNazis know how to stop discussion of their crimes, by conflating the other deaths with Tank Man. We waste our time debating Tank Man, who lived on camera, and forget all the other young men and WOMEN who WERE in fact crushed by tanks.

Most were shot, but a shocking number of victims were crushed by tanks and other military equipment. More shocking were how the victims were treated, as in NOT TREATED.

• Curry Worsham says:

Reminds me of a certain Presidential candidate who remembered that there were people cheering in New Jersey in celebration of 9/11 (happened); and also remembered seeing video of thousands of Palestinians celebrating in the streets of Jerusalem (also happened). He simply conflated the two memories over time and, presto, thousands of people cheering in New Jersey.

• MaineCoon says:

Thanks Wolfmoon. Your explanation makes sense. Merging of the memories. I’m not crazy after all.

It was truly a shocking scene and memory.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

I seem to have a residual memory of wanting to see it again, and it not being shown, which further explains how it drifted out of people’s consciousness. Probably drew a lot of complaints, and they decided it was too graphic.

• aprilyn43 says:

Everything you said about the tank was true “Execpt” the part about not rolling over the man.
        I remember, the tank rolling over the man & gasping because of the horror of it. The news even anounced this was an up setting video.
        That tank rolled over the guy ….

7. Patriot1783 says:

God Bless the Tank Man, without someone experiencing this moment in time there might not be a Conservative Treehouse.

8. Luke_Luck says:

9. Patriot1783 says:

I still can remember seeing the student get in front of the tank and when the driver tried to go around him the student moved to block the path again.
    True courage.

10. Coldeadhands says:

The hearts of those who love freedom, must ache for the thwarted dreams of the Chinese of Tiananmen Square.

11. Gil says:

I was a teenager then and already a news and political buff. I happened to be watching and could not believe what I saw. These people were standing up for freedom, using my veloved country as their inspiration for a patriotic revolution in their country. These brave good people lost their lives and I will never forget this.
    This is why my blood boiled seeing obama ignore iran, ignore egypt, and apologize for my country.
    My head will not hang in shame and we will be the freedom beacon again with our new leadership.
    My son will learn about these points in history and truly know why we are the very best country in the world.

12. citizen817 says:

Press Statement
    Rex W. Tillerson
    Secretary of State
    Washington, DC
    June 4, 2017

This year marks the 28th anniversary of the Chinese government’s violent suppression of a peaceful protest that took place in and around Tiananmen Square.

We call again on China to make a full accounting of those killed, detained, or missing due to the events of June 4, 1989. We urge China to cease harassment of family members seeking redress and to release from prison those who have been jailed for striving to keep the memory of Tiananmen Square alive.

The United States views the protection of human rights as a fundamental duty of all countries, and we urge the Chinese government to respect the universal rights and fundamental freedoms of all its citizens.

13. sunnydaze says:

Friends from Mainland China (among the first group of students from the PRC allowed to come to the US for school) were part of a wide network of Chinese nationals in the US at the time who were calling the “Rat on your Neighbor who Participated in the Protest” Gov’t phone line back home in China.

They were successful in shutting it down by jamming it with calls. So proud of the Chinese students who were in the States at that time.

And yes, I remember quite well that the Chinese military refused to fight against them. It was wonderful.

My experience in China in the 80’s and 90’s was that the regular military guys were nice regular folks. Seemed like most of them joined just to keep from starving in their home villages, tho I could be wrong about that.

14. greenvalleygal says:

Were Bibles hidden in their garments? One wonders.

15. Bull Durham says:

A few points of fact about the PLA at Tiananmen.

They, the soldiers, were firebombed at Tiananmen and many were slaughtered 3 miles west at Muxidi Rail Station. This enraged the troops that eventually confronted the crowds. This was when things turned very bad. It was the breaking point of the soldiers.

Workers and some students had gotten guns and rage exploded.

The big Army unit was from Hebei, not Inner Mongolia or NE China. The 27th Army was used to moved the students from the Square. They had the most battle experience in Korea, and had less connection with Beijing. The actual Square did not have any killings. The clearing of the students was at 3-4 am, arranged in negotiations. All the violence had transpired earlier mostly along Chang’an Avenue, the main wide road you see the tanks the next day.

There were at first units of Army that refused to touch the students. But workers had come to Beijing and this was an economic protest that got colored (the first US-Mi6 color revolution) as a democracy movement. That was not what motivated the students. They had waited for the fruits of the capitalist program and the economy was not doing well in ’88 and ’89. From January on they fashioned protests over jobs for graduates.

They also protested the Elders pushing out Premier Zhao Ziyang.

The total dead of students is thought now, by the US State Dept. to be under 400. The numbers of thousands was not verifiable. The notion that there was such a slaughter is easy considering the half million or so at times in the Square, especially during the massive hunger strike. But it remains propaganda.

The tragedy was a clash of old men, ideologues, a massive student base led and misled by provocateurs, workers who had no rights coming to confront power, and the stupidity of a few who decided they had to act with the military. Thus, a shame on the nation that the Party still cannot face.

There is plenty of evidence that the CIA and Mi6 were in among the crowds and had their assets agitating. Some brag about it. Operation Yellowbird was put into action immediately to get the student leaders out of the Mainland and into Hong Kong, still a British colony in ’89. In fact, Triads were used as part of the underground railroad taking student leaders to HK.

• sundance says:

You really are a Russian propagandist.

• Curry Worsham says:

I don’t have your knowledge of the history, but it does appear the roots of the protest were in western ideals of liberty. Wikipedia has an extensive article:

In mid-1986, astrophysics professor Fang Lizhi, who had returned from a tenure at Princeton University, began a personal tour around universities in China, speaking about liberty, human rights, and separation of powers. Fang was part of a wider undercurrent within the elite intellectual community that thought China’s poverty and underdevelopment as well as the disaster of the Cultural Revolution was the direct result of an authoritarian political system and the rigid planned economy that came with it The view that political reform was the only answer to China’s on-going problems gained widespread appeal amongst students, as Fang’s recorded speeches became widely circulated all over the country. In response, Deng Xiaoping warned that Fang was blindly worshipping Western lifestyles, capitalism, and multi-party systems, while undermining China’s socialist ideology, traditional values, and the party’s leadership.

Inspired by Fang and other ‘people-power’ movements around the world, in December 1986, student demonstrators staged protests against the slow pace of reform. The issues were wide-ranging, and included demands for economic liberalization, democracy, and rule of law.

• A2 says:

Have you read his book? It was of course banned in China. Many Chinese people from the Mainland had their eyes opened because of it. Smuggled copies.

The Tiananmen protests began at the commemoration of Wusi– the May Fourth movement in 1919 about Science and Democracy. The students who gathered in Tiananmen were protesting corruption in the party foremost. It expanded to issues of governance and freedom of expression.

More than 0ne million people in Hong Kong spontaneously marched through the centre of the city to support the students. I was there also.

16. Neural says:

And in the united states, college students are renown for their courage to stand bravely up in front of… wood paneling.

17. Martin says:

Binge-watched the Burns Civil War series Saturday. 1864 began with the Emancipation, and was the bloodiest year of the war. China was finishing a 13-year rebellion that year, which cost 20 million lives. Stop and imagine that, comparatively.

Their Swamp has been bigger, deeper, and is far more “aged” than our worst.

Now if we could only sell them CNN and WaPo, with stipulations that they shut them down.

18. kyrissaean says:

my father born in 1930s says usa was planing to divide china in small states. they support one side then another, then ultimate cia supplied chairman maozedong but regret it later. prior cultural revolution, communists act like liberals, then like Nazi’s past a point they start killing/robbing/looting anyone that is not 100% blind follow chairman mao’s so called wealth distribution.even 75% leaning is not enough to be spared from death or looting. both prc and roc has pros and cons, but one propaganda was the faction that end up in Taiwan was usa obedient puppet to act in certain way as mao claimed propaganda. my mom born 1955 was daughter to one of taiwan’s Secretary generals military inspector.

• kyrissaean says:

the people in some places after Olympic are cold like they were dead inside to visitors when we took a non-tour guide trip there. you are an outsider. it was better to stick to tour places designated for tourists. we only there to northern east beach seaside cremate my mom’s father whom died thanks to caretaker’s negligence.

• Raven says:

My husband and I had a Chinese exchange student living with us 2014-2015. Her parents paid over $50,000 per year so “Dottie” could attend school in the U.S.A., and she is currently attending college in New York City (housing alone has to be astronomically expensive!).

Dottie would often tell us that her parents like her to come home for visits, but they NEVER want her to live in China again because the government is so corrupt.

Dottie is one of the millions of Chinese “children” with no siblings, and her parents — her only family — have always purposely sent her away for her own protection. Such painfully difficult decisions have to cause a great deal of emotional death in order to just go on with life.

Very interesting history Kyrissaean. Does your family all live in the U.S. now?

19. keebler AC says:

I know, I’m going to have nightmares about London, Griffen and remembering Tiananman Square. I didn’t pay much attention 28 years ago and I appreciate the knowledge and experience shared on this thread.

Quite amazing and beautiful time it is knowing though that we have Trump and the CTH.

20. Bill says:

The Mongolian soldiers who did the killing have morphed/grown into a huge part of the PLA today. The “wu jing” (武装) are essentially the Chinese SS. They are kept away from their home areas to avoid any sympathy for the locals, and also oversee much of what the PLA does now. They outrank any police or military unit anywhere in China.

On a recent trip to China I saw an almost new Audi A7 with odd license plates – they had a prefix of WJ – and I asked my guide the significance of the plate. The wu jing are also the ones who take you away at night, never to be seen again, all over China.

The KGB and Stasi were nothing compared to them.

21. Bill says:

I forgot to add that my wife was there.

Protesting.

22. NJF says:

A few months ago SD wrote a post on this moment from the perspective of the govt orders its military to gun down citizens and then refuses?

The implication that Barry wouldn’t hesitate was truly freightening.

• G. Combs says:

“…from the perspective of the govt orders its military to gun down citizens ….”

You forget Kent State Protests where the national guard fired on students and killed them.

The MSM manufactured a “Vietnam Protest’ at my college campus complete with film footage as cover shortly after the Kent State Protest.. It was shown nationwide (except in the state where the college resided) by ALL the networks. Only problem was there was NO PROTEST. I was on the main campus from 7 AM until 5 PM and it was a completely ordinary day. (Info. on film footage from my panicing parents 800 miles away and from my friends parents living in state who we called that night. We were very puzzled by the story.)

Also, per a friend, the Kent State Protests were NOT about the Vietnam War. They were about the town of Kent not allowing MEN, returned veterans in their 20s and 30s with families, the right to vote! My friend was 26 at the time with a wife and 2 sons. His wife could vote but because he was a student at Kent State he was completely disenfranchised.

This is what the MSM/US government was in such a lather to cover-up.

23. Shepon says:

And we wonder why the EU wants a million muslim men.

• I think that your post deserves a standing ovation. People are passing by this excellent comment without digesting the truth in it. Just as the Chinese have an army that they keep separate from the people so that they don’t mind killing the people the West is importing an army that is not and does not want to assimilate and is already predisposed to hate the locals. Plus they are already from a culture that loves to kill infidels. The governments from the West have their army willing to kill upstart citizens when their military cannot/will not do it.

24. sDee says:

A sobering day and image to etch in our minds. China’s model of “state capitalism” is the globalists’ dream for all of us.

Tiananmen is exactly the end-game scenario that America’s first unruly citizens knew would require the Second Amendment. Even the Mongolia army would have cowered, had each of the Chinese citizens held a 7.62 carbine and a dozen loaded.magazines.

Keeping our arms is our god-given Constitutional right. Arming ourselves against these scenarios is our highest obligation to liberty for our children and grandchildren.

25. Shrike says:

I never knew before this post the Chinese army had stood down and it was the Mongolian units that did the killing.
    2 videos for you: the first a serious speech from an American gun owner who is also a survivor of Tiananmen Square. The second one from the Onion (it can occasionally be funny in an uncomfortable way

26. Shrike says:

Sorry I duplicated my first link: here’s the second https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SBxuHTlw98

27. Sunshine says:

I don’t know of any society that gained its freedom without sacrificing its own. Without bravery, we are but mere hostages of those that rule.

Case in point: our Islamic problem. If we are to win this war, it is through defiance and not fleeing (hiding and running) in terror. The brave ones are the Islamists and they are winning.

28. pattyloo says:

is there video posted here of tank man being spirited away? i watched the video posted that explains that story, but it ends before he is pulled away or run over, as some believe happened.

29. Kent says:

Way back when I worked for a chemical manufacturer which exported product in 55 gallon drums stacked inside shipping containers to China. Time magazine came out with a special issue concerning Tiananmen Square…..

I debated with myself for a couple of weeks and decided to just do it…

I placed that issue of Time on the floor of the container and proceeded to stack dozens of 450# drums into it……

I’ve often wondered who found that magazine and what they may have done with it………..

I hope that in some way it advanced the cause of freedom in China……

No way to know.