Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein briefed congress earlier today and firmly stood by the recommendation he wrote that outlined James Comey’s ineptitude and inability to be an effective FBI Director.

Deputy Rosenstein’s recommendation was part of the portfolio President Trump cited in reference to his decision to fire FBI Director Comey.

Here’s the text of the opening statement made to congress earlier today:

Good afternoon. I welcome the opportunity to discuss my role in the removal of FBI Director James Comey, although I know you understand that I will not discuss the special counsel’s ongoing investigation. Most importantly, I want to emphasize my unshakeable commitment to protecting the integrity of every federal criminal investigation. There never has been, and never will be, any political interference in any matter under my supervision in the United States Department of Justice.

Before I discuss the events of the past two weeks, I want to provide some background about my previous relationship with former Director Comey. I have known Jim Comey since approximately 2002. In 2005, when Mr. Comey was Deputy Attorney General, he participated in selecting me to serve as a U.S. Attorney. As a federal prosecutor, he was a role model. His speeches about leadership and public service inspired me.

On July 5, 2016, Director Comey held his press conference concerning the federal grand jury investigation of Secretary Clinton’s emails. At the start of the press conference, the Director stated that he had “not coordinated or reviewed this statement in any way with the Department of Justice…. They do not know what I am about to say.”

Director Comey went on to declare that he would publicly disclose “what we did; what we found; and what we are recommending to the Department of Justice.” He proceeded to disclose details about the evidence; assert that the American people “deserve” to know details; declare that no “reasonable” prosecutor would file charges; and criticize Secretary Clinton.

I thought the July 5 press conference was profoundly wrong and unfair both to the Department of Justice and Secretary Clinton. It explicitly usurped the role of the Attorney General, the Deputy Attorney General and the entire Department of Justice; it violated deeply engrained rules and traditions; and it guaranteed that some people would accuse the FBI of interfering in the election.

There are lawful and appropriate mechanisms to deal with unusual circumstances in which public confidence in the rule of law may be jeopardized. Such mechanisms preserve the traditional balance of power between investigators and prosecutors, and protect the rights of citizens.

Director Comey attended the Maryland U.S. Attorney’s Office training seminar on October 27, 2016, and gave a detailed explanation of his reasons for making public statements about the conclusion of the Secretary Clinton email investigation. I strongly disagreed with his analysis, but I believe that he made his decisions in good faith.

The next day, October 28, Mr. Comey sent his letter to the Congress announcing that the FBI was reopening the Clinton email investigation. He subsequently has said that he believed he was obligated to send the letter. I completely disagree. He again usurped the authority of the Department of Justice, by sending the letter over the objection of the Department of Justice; flouted rules and deeply engrained traditions; and guaranteed that some people would accuse the FBI of interfering in the election.

Before the Senate Judiciary Committee on May 3, 2017, Director Comey testified under oath about his public statements concerning the Secretary Clinton email investigation. I strongly disagreed with his explanations, particularly his assertion that maintaining confidentiality about criminal investigations constitutes concealment. Nonetheless, I respected him personally.

Former Department of Justice officials from both political parties have criticized Director Comey’s decisions. It was not just an isolated mistake; the series of public statements about the email investigation, in my opinion, departed from the proper role of the FBI Director and damaged public confidence in the Bureau and the Department.

In one of my first meetings with then-Senator Jeff Sessions last winter, we discussed the need for new leadership at the FBI. Among the concerns that I recall were to restore the credibility of the FBI, respect the established authority of the Department of Justice, limit public statements and eliminate leaks.

On May 8, I learned that President Trump intended to remove Director Comey and sought my advice and input. Notwithstanding my personal affection for Director Comey, I thought it was appropriate to seek a new leader.

I wrote a brief memorandum to the Attorney General summarizing my longstanding concerns about Director Comey’s public statements concerning the Secretary Clinton email investigation.

I chose the issues to include in my memorandum.

Before finalizing the memorandum on May 9, I asked a senior career attorney on my staff to review it. That attorney is an ethics expert who has worked in the Office of the Deputy Attorney General during multiple administrations. He was familiar with the issues. I informed the senior attorney that the President was going to remove Director Comey, that I was writing a memorandum to the Attorney General summarizing my own concerns, and that I wanted to confirm that everything in my memorandum was accurate. He concurred with the points raised in my memorandum. I also asked several other career Department attorneys to review the memorandum and provide edits.

My memorandum is not a legal brief; these are not issues of law.

My memorandum is not a finding of official misconduct; the Inspector General will render his judgment about that issue in due course.

My memorandum is not a statement of reasons to justify a for-cause termination.

My memorandum is not a survey of FBI morale or performance.

My memorandum is not a press release.

It is a candid internal memorandum about the FBI Director’s public statements concerning a high-profile criminal investigation.

I sent my signed memorandum to the Attorney General after noon on Tuesday, May 9.

I wrote it. I believe it. I stand by it.

Finally, I want to address the media claims that the FBI asked for additional resources for the investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. I am not aware of any such request. Moreover, I consulted my staff and Acting FBI Director Andrew McCabe, and none of them recalls such a request.

(Source Link)

HERE’s The Original Recommendation for Removal:

This entry was posted in Dem Hypocrisy, Dept Of Justice, FBI, media bias, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

262 Responses to Rosenstein to Congress on Recommendation to Fire Comey: “I wrote it. I believe it. I stand by it.”…

1. listen to Eric!

2. David says:

It appears James Comey’s actions were to secure his job for 10 years by a pattern of Hedging Indirect Power Threats to both President Trump and Hillary Clinton.

J. Edgar Hoover’s actions came to be seen as abuses of power, FBI directors are now limited to one 10-year term. Should we the people demand because of the abuses of power of James Comey; FBI directors are now limited to one 5-year term?

Did James Comey overstep his power of not giving the Attorney General the Email File for the Final Decision because he wanted Hillary Clinton to know what he is doing for her (Job Security) and created a Hedge by breaking protocol and detailing the actual laws to the public that were broken by Hillary Clinton to keep this over her head; since it would be a number of years before the statues of limitations would pass?

It seems James Comey’s Actions of hedging his power has been repeated many times since July 2016; if I understanding the chronology of his actions correctly.

James Comey’s reputation was outstanding historically according to all Legal Scholars and Commentator, he has personal wealth, success and a beautiful family. Many have expressed disappointment in his current actions. Why would he actual go off the rails and destroy the Rule of Law, Constitution, FBI, Equal Justice and the Will of the People? As President Trump would say…So Sad.

3. repsort says:

The only real hope of restoring the image of the FBI rests in counting on the younger gens not having paid much attention to Comey’s tenure while those of us who were aware of the politicization and weaponization of the FBI die off… Which is to say, only time will allow for the restoration of their image. Once trust is lost it’s damn near impossible to get back.

4. India Maria says:

Rosenstein doesn’t sound like a “snake” to me…….

• Rivers says:

Your kidding right? This just in. No way to sugarcoat Rosenstein as honorable at all

Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein Tells Congress Russia Probe Now Includes Possible Cover-Up

• Howie says:

That is a hoax fake report. Did you even read it? Fake news. He can investigate wherever the evidence leads.

A Justice Department official, who asked not to be identified because of the sensitivity of the topic, confirmed that the special counsel in charge of the probe, former FBI Director Robert Mueller, “has been given the authority to investigate the possibility of a cover-up.”

But he cautioned that that “does not mean that is part of the investigation” currently. Where the investigation goes would be up to Mueller, he said.

5. Howie says:

The second smear is about Ivankas husband Jared.

6. NJF says:

Before I read everyone’s comments I have a quick question that hopefully someone knows the answer to.

Comey is accused of not following procedure & end gaming the DOJ by taking it upon himself to not recommend charges against Shillary. Lyin’ Loretta told him to make his own determination bc that tarmac meeting blew up in their faces. I guess I don’t get why she isn’t getting bashed in this scenario as well.

Just asking. 😎

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Loretta Lynch’s unethical behavior and off-the-record influence is part of what Comey is hiding. Were Comey or his actions in the Clinton investigation to be investigated (Trump rally cheer: INVESTIGATE THE INVESTIGATION!), it is likely that Loretta Lynch’s unscrupulous pressure on Comey to do exactly what he did would come to light. THIS is why Comey was seriously gaslit on race, and put into total white guilt mode – so he would respond properly to Obama’s “racial castling move”, whereby Obama surrounded himself with racial loyalists who would never turn on him in any way, no matter what. Comey then became loyal to Loretta through racial guilt, extending Obama’s wall of protection.

So the answer to your question is that the Democrats don’t want her bashed, and the Republicans don’t want her bashed, either, because they’re almost as gaslit as Comey on race and sex. And Lindy the Clown will still defend her no matter what.

This is why NOBODY seriously opposed Loretta Lynch for AG. Dems and RINOs all bow to the Skirt of Holderette.

7. NJF says:

So Comey has agreed to testify in an open session?

Wow. After Memorial Day.

Not sure if I need more popcorn or a drink.

8. Pam says:

• benifranlkin says:

so he can lie

• Oldskool says:

That hearing would be even more fun if the President would proclaim declassification of any and all of the actually “non-existent information” to alleviate the immediate go-to response of not answering because it’s classified. Don’t understand why it hasn’t been done sooner.

• Scott says:

Will he live that long?

• cjzak says:

So he can just fall back on the old line “I can’t comment on that” because of the open nature of the session. Thought that was why he was going to be asked to meet privately with the committee so he would not be able to hide behind that excuse and would have to answer the questions asked.

Big whoopin’ deal if he comes again to testify in public. This is the biggest waste of time and money ever by a Congress. We get to see and hear his snarky answers once again and really get nowhere except more smears against the Pres.

9. Bert Darrell says:

Walt: I think it will end when Mr. Mueller shows that the Maxine Waters, Nancy Pelosis’s, and “Schmuk” Schumers of this world are certified nut jobs, and this becomes obvious to the entire country. The word “impeachment” will acquire a new meaning, indicating treachery and the treasonous attitude of those who don’t care whether the country is destroyed so long as they remain in power. Mark my words, Walt: November 2018 will be a time for reckoning.

10. wyntre says:

Greg Jarrett – NO Trump fan – just reiterated on Lou Dobbs that Mueller as Special Counsel presents a clear conflict of interest as his close ties and friendship with James Comey go back decades.
    I’ve been saying that since Mueller’s name surfaced.
    WHO is advising President Trump

• Oldskool says:

His advice is coming from the same person that thinks Joe Lieberman should be FBI Director, probably Priebus.

• Bert Darrell says:

Wyntre: Rosenstein also expressed admiration for and gratitude to Comey. Yet, he recommended that Comey be replaced and pointed out why. If a “friend of Comey determines that Comey screwed up, Comey is toast. Instead, if a Comey foe reaches the same conclusion, everybody will attribute it to personal animosity and say it was unfair.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

I think Mueller is an inspired choice. He has cred both ways, and he has a reputation for honesty. Plus, I do not believe he could participate in a plot against Trump without giving up the game by a certain inability to deceive. I would trust him to give up the game if he had a globalist knife at his back.

I understand having cordial “at work” relationships with people, and even friendships, but those have limits with an honest person. Were many of my best friends, old colleagues, or even my own wife recommended for certain things, I could write letters lobbying against the idea that would make Rosenstein’s letter about Comey look like an endorsement. Professionalism requires a level of honesty far above friendship and family relationships.

Comey used up his FBI cred and Rosenstein was honest about it. I even believe that Comey realizes this, too, and mostly regrets not being a part of the FBI any longer, just as he said. Comey would probably do what he did again, if given the choice, and Rosenstein would write what he did, too.

We are back in the realm of government working as it should. Obama, the unfirable, unquestionable “black man in a room full of guilty whites”, is gone.

11. 6x47 says:

Following that definitive, unequivocal statement the doofuses on the panel proceeded to ask him the same insufferable questions he had already answered over and over again.

12. Sylvia Avery says:

I liked reading Sundance’s post and Rosenstein’s transcript. It was reassuring. But then there is the Mueller decision. I simply don’t know what to think. I hope for the best, however I read Gregg Jarrett’s latest reporting on the relationship between Mueller and Comey. When I first heard about it I hoped it was overstated–after all, I had coworkers that I worked with for years and still would hardly call them close friends. But this….