Secretary Rex Tillerson Leads Arctic Council Meeting…

Treasury Secretary Mnuchin is in Italy at an advance meeting of G7 financial leaders ahead of the full G7 meeting scheduled for May 26th and 27th which will be attended by President Trump.  Mnuchin is swamped with international questions about President Trump’s trade, finance, tax and economic policies. It is odd how the U.S. Media is less interested in this important stuff.

Meanwhile Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is leading the Arctic Council Meeting in Fairbanks Alaska.  Yes, though they get almost no attention, we actually have national policies targeted directly to the needs and interests of the Arctic Circle.

[Transcript] SECRETARY TILLERSON: Well, it’s my pleasure to welcome all of you, foreign ministers, permanent participant heads of delegation, Arctic Council observers, and honored guests. And I want to thank again the tribal leaders of the aboriginal groups for their greeting this morning and their very meaningful message to all of us, and we appreciate their opening this session for us.

I want to welcome all of you to the 10th Arctic Council Ministerial Meeting and this beautiful city of Fairbanks, and we thank them again for their great hospitality in hosting us.

I would now call your attention to the provisional agenda for this meeting and seek its adoption.

SECRETARY TILLERSON: As I see no delegates seeking the floor, I take it that the agenda can be adopted without change. It is so decided.

As the next agenda point, I would like to call for the adoption of the SAO Report to Ministers.

SECRETARY TILLERSON: As I see no delegations seeking the floor, I take it that the report can be adopted without change. It is so decided.

Let’s turn to the agenda item on the accomplishments of the Arctic Council during the U.S. chairmanship.

The United States had been privileged to lead the Arctic Council at a time when the Arctic Region has been facing unprecedented change and challenges.

I am grateful for the level of cooperation that the nations and the peoples of the Arctic have demonstrated as they continue to address these challenges.

The Arctic Council, which recently celebrated its 20th anniversary, has proven to be an indispensable forum in which we can pursue cooperation. I want to affirm that the United States will continue to be an active member in this council. The opportunity to chair the Council has only strengthened our commitment to continuing its work in the future.

We look forward to working with Finland as they assume the leadership role of this council. There are still issues of great concern to each of us that we can address, including advancing the welfare and living conditions of those who call the Arctic home; recognizing that each country has a strategic interest in being part of the Arctic’s future; and making sure that we continue to be vigilant in protecting the fragile environment.

In the United States, we are currently reviewing several important policies, including how the Trump administration will approach the issue of climate change. We are appreciative that each of you has an important point of view, and you should know that we are taking the time to understand your concerns. We’re not going to rush to make a decision. We’re going to work to make the right decision for the United States. The Arctic Council will continue to be an important platform as we deliberate on these issues.

I could not hope to mention all of the individual initiatives and programs that the Council has brought to fruition over the past two years under U.S. chairmanship. Each of the Council’s subsidiary bodies has done outstanding work in this respect, and I do wish to acknowledge and commend all of their efforts, even as I highlight but a few.

The signing of the Agreement on Enhancing International Arctic Scientific Cooperation will facilitate the movement of scientists, scientific equipment, and importantly, data sharing across the international boundaries of the Arctic.

The Council has produced the first-ever assessment of telecommunications infrastructure in the Arctic. During the Finnish chairmanship, the Arctic Council will build on this work in conjunction with the private sector to advance this ongoing effort to strengthen connectivity throughout the Arctic Region.

Arctic Council members have conducted multiple exercises to prepare for potential search-and-rescue events in the Arctic as well as to coordinate responses to environmental incidents. These exercises significantly advanced our capacity to address risks inherent in the increased human activity that is undergoing and will continue to expand in the Arctic Region.

At the community level, the council broke new ground in a number of ways. A compelling initiative known as RISING SUN has produced resources that will prove truly valuable to Arctic residents in addressing suicide prevention, particularly among indigenous youth. The council also built on work initiated by the State of Alaska to improve water and sanitation capacity in rural Arctic communities.

As Arctic shipping continues to increase, the Council took a number of measures designed to ensure that such shipping remains safe and reliable, including the Arctic Ship Traffic Database that will improve our understanding of the ship traffic in the Arctic, including the number and types of vessels in the Arctic, their exact routing, and other important information.

And finally, the Council has strengthened resilience at the national and local levels in the face of environmental and other change.

I could go on at length about our shared accomplishment, but I am certain other speakers today will mention the many other Arctic Council projects deserving of recognition.

Let me close my remarks by thanking again all of those involved in these initiatives – the many government officials, the permanent participants, the working group and task force chairs, the secretariats, the observers and invited experts. The last two years have witnessed remarkable growth in the reach and productivity of the Arctic Council, thanks to all of you. And I am confident that, under the leadership of Finland, the Council is poised to do even more.

With that, we’re ready to move to the next agenda item, which is the statements from the Arctic States and from the permanent participants. I now offer the floor to each of the other heads of delegation in turn for these statements, beginning with Canada.  (link)

This entry was posted in President Trump, Secretary of State, Secretary Tillerson, Uncategorized, United Nations, US Treasury, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

101 Responses to Secretary Rex Tillerson Leads Arctic Council Meeting…

1. Pam says:

I saw this speech earlier. T-Rex is a fascinating man to listen to. He knows how to get your attention and you know when he speaks, he means business.

• A2 says:

I agree Pam; clear, unambiguous and exemplary professional. I look forward to reading the full report of the Council.

• nontroll says:

The Trump administration is a living GROWING entity. It is fascinating to watch it in action and bear witness to it’s stunning achievements. I knew I would be impressed with his cabinet picks, I just had no idea I would be in awe.

• The Boss says:

I once had a college professor who was like T Rex. All business, challenging, knew the subject matter and made it relevant. I doubt there are many left like him or T Rex in our colleges.

• Wend says:

My Real Property teacher in law school without the warmth…major intellectual influence on me. I got my highest first year grade in that course – totally unexpected – but due in great part to him.

• Kaco says:

Yes, he’s a man’s man, but I also admire men like this. This kind of man makes a woman feel safe, a father figure so to speak. He knows the answer, his quiet strength and knowledge will take care of everything. I also worry for the future, boys aren’t being groomed to be men like this.

• Deb says:

It’s nice to see a man’s man simply be himself. It isn’t politically correct today to be “traditionally masculine,” but masculinity is needed in so many situations/occupations.

• piper567 says:

Deb, the whole political push to make “traditional masculinity” a no-no, and to portray men as buffoons, inept and, actually, unnecessary, may be coming to a close. (Thank God)
            There are many Americans who welcome the example that TRUMP sets;
            all of his male Cabinet members are very competent, thoroughly professional, and very gracious in the face of the slings and arrows of cretins far below them by any measure. (As are the women, but here we are talking about the men.)
            These men will show the voters, over time, what leadership looks like, and what it can accomplish; it is vastly different from the empty suit syndrome in which ozero excelled.
            The example being set on caring for the good of one’s Country is also having its affect, a similar sea-change.
            Many adults, as well as the young, are responding, and we are only several months into this Administration.
            These example now before us will change many fundamentals that affect Americans, and will get the notice of voters, even if they are not interested to the extent Treepers may be.
            Take heart: watch the video of the young lacrosse team, jumping at the chance to have a hero: wonderful to see.

• Oldschool says:

Kaco, so sadly, you are correct.

• Sylvia Avery says:

I agree, Kaco, that boys aren’t being groomed or mentored to be like this. There are fewer and fewer examples of men like this to even observe or learn from. Our boys are under attack by our culture. Sometimes I am glad that more than half my life is over and I won’t have to see us reaping what we have sown.

• Bendix says:

I’d like to mention that what we see in a Rex Tillerson is an example of the inner strength and self-control it takes to be that kind of man.
            It’s not a tamed masculinity. It is a man in charge of himself.
            We see examples of out of control masculinity every day, in some of our inner cities. We also see women and children bearing the brunt of grown men’s behavior. We also see that behavior excused, condoned, and even romanticized.

• Kaco says:

Yes, that is the kind of man I was referring to in your description about TRex. My father was that kind of man, too.

• Sunshine says:

Yes. He doesn’t speak much but when he does, everybody listens and holds their breath.
      He has an aura about him, a very significant presence when he enters a room.

2. flawesttexas says:

Arctic Council mainly deals with the indigenous peoples in Arctic nations. Includes Norway, Sweden, Finland, and…hold your ears CNN…Russia

They have an interesting exhibit regarding Arctic Council at The Arktikum Museum in Rovaniemi, Finland…on the Arctic Circle

3. Weeper says:

Thank you Sundance again for bringing information to us that no one else will.

“It is odd how the U.S. media is less interested in this important stuff”.

I agree, and the longer it goes on, the more tragic it becomes. Their complete and total obsession with that which isn’t true, while ignoring those that are is ODD indeed.

Go T-Rex!!!

MAGA!!! 🦁🚂📢🌳

• Beryl Bomb says:

I picked up on that exact sentence, Weeper 🙂

• nontroll says:

Ya – and what’s worse is this is one of their pet interests – the “fragile” Arctic environment.

• Weeper says:

Yup. You’d think that the “left” would be all over this…..even to say “they’re not doing enough”….or some usual criticism, but at least talk about it. In other words typical/normal discussion and debate….healthy stuff for democracy. People would hear/learn…..decide where they stand.

All they want to talk about is Russian Conspiracy/Comey firing….to me same thing. They totally ignore any other news re: PDJTs administration……crickets!!!

• litlbit2 says:

Agree with the lack of reporting of real news as one and all are promoting a joint effort to hide real life and events in our daily lives.

How long will it be before there are new real news companies filling the void?
      It seems to me a real gold mine just waiting to be tapped. The advertiser will come in droves as the advertisers realize the audiences are no longer tunning into old Very Fake News outlets. Yesterday’s propagandist, they are exposed daily by self. Corrupt!

• nontroll says:

“How long will it be before there are new real news companies filling the void?”

I ask myself this every day. You’d think there’d be somebody out there who wants to get fabulously wealthy.

• Oldschool says:

That baffles me too nontroll. I really thought we would be seeing some new conservative station, especially after this election cycle. It seems like a no brainer.

• Bendix says:

I’d settle for a local paper with changes to the garbage schedule and weddings and obituaries.
          My “local” paper quit featuring local news in favor of “features” that they bought from other papers, propaganda, and celebrity gossip. This was well before any online versions were invented.
          I miss knowing about upcoming events because I no longer subscribe to the propaganda rag.

• Weeper says:

I don’t want to hijack this conversation into something it wasn’t meant to be. What I will say is that the entire corporate media construct is corrupt. They answer to their sponsors. Unless/until all of them tell them to stop, or stop writing the checks, their sole mission will be to destroy PDJT, his family, his administration, his agenda, and sadly….US, his supporters. They will not win, we will.

Loud & Proud

MAGA!!!🦁🚂📢🌳

• Bendix says:

We need to bust the monopolies! That’s why we see characters like Trans Jenner getting awards on ESPN, because the parent company owns the station his family’s show is on.
          When tired old incestuous hacks like Andrea Mitchell tell lies to advance the narrative for her masters (the edited Trayvon tape, claiming Juanita Broaddrick was “discredited”) the network should have to fire them or have their FCC license yanked.
          News is what you didn’t know yesterday, not a bunch of monkeys yammering over Comey’s firing.

• piper567 says:

No TV here, but I have a Q:
        If all these ‘news” programs are indeed so limited in what they are choosing to cover, don’t you think even the casual viewer will begin to wonder if, you know, there is Anything Else going on in the world?
        And don’t you think this will drive folks to search out other forms of info?
        I think the narrowness and vitriol/bullblleep on the “news” is to the advantage of all.
        We might also always remember to tell people there are alternatives.

• Bendix says:

I used to check out BBC World, to at least get a glimpse of what was going on in other countries, but after Obama was reelected, they went to all Muslims, all the time, and kept up the lie that the swarms of men coming into Europe were all Syrian refugees.
          Katty Kay told a couple of deliberate lies right before the election, I can’t remember at this moment what they were, but I had to shut it off right then and there.

• Wend says:

The serious international legacy media still has a lot of worth-we have no such thing anymore.

• Weeper says:

Sadly, yes…..they hide behind the 1st Amendment, and replace News with regurgitated talking points that are false!!!

• Wend says:

I’m beginning to think criminalizing libel and slander as they do in Europe might be the way to go-but only for those involved with media orgs-not the way it was used against David Irving for Holocaust denial and Brigette Bardot and Oriana Falacci for “racist” speech against guess who.

• Wend says:

And of course getting rid of that ridiculous “public figure” standard which applies to dog catchers would help.

• Weeper says:

They would scream SO loud….I just don’t see anything in the way of legislation to fix this. We the people have to find ways to demand the truth, from all of them. Not only the media, but congress as well. There is SO much hypocrisy in our democracy that it’s SAD!!! We can’t believe anything we’re told, by anyone. If it wasn’t for this site and Sundance……we’d literally be in the dark!!! I’m blessed to have a branch here.

• MVW says:

Seeing how the media would describe the Mona Lisa as an old hack job, perhaps Trump’s get’m to chase the dead squirrel around the back yard for 6 months is a smart thing to do.

No damage that way.

• MVW says:

And the media, since they believe their elementary school participation award means something, and since they are PC ribbon wearing, virtue signaling Libtards, can’t imagine that their chase is pointless.

4. Pam says:

5. Dekester says:

Great day. Yard maintenance, dog walking, time with friends, time with family.

The golf channel is on in the background, as I am entertained and educated by Sundance and T.Rex. Like the MC commercial, Priceless.

I have been in Canada’s North, and Alaska. T.Rex and PDJT are ahead of the curve on this.

Talk about expanding ones base.

Thank you.

6. Fairbanks is indeed a beautiful city, and this is a good time of year to show it off to visiting officials.

• maiingankwe says:

It was a beautiful, sunny, and warm day today in Fairbanks. We just got a nice summer rain about 40 minutes ago. I love the smell of a good rain. Other than that, it was beautiful and sunny all day.

• maiingankwe says:

I live outside of Fairbanks about 30-35 minutes away depending what side of town I’m trying to get too. I’m sure they had some showers too.

• annieoakley says:

Damn I didn’t think anyone could live in Fairbanks, and survive. Good for you. Is the Arctic melting?/sarc

• maiingankwe says:

No, not that I can tell. I live in the Interior though.

Funny thing is though, I know Antarctica is gaining a great deal of ice, especially the last few years, but I seriously don’t know about here. Bad girl.

When TRex had mentioned he was listening to the concerns of our Elders and villages, I automatically thought to some of the villages that are losing their land with erosion into the sea. It will cost a great deal of money for them to move their villages away from these areas.

Murkowski is a lost cause and a nasty thing to boot. IMO. I would be shocked if there ever comes a time she will agree with our President. She simply does not like him and has far too much too lose.

Our republican governor is against the health care plan Bigly. He says it will affect us differently since we have to travel so far for medical treatments, which is true. A lot of people still live in the villages and there only way in or out is by plane or a boat in the summer. Even for me some medical treatments are only in Anchorage. However, our insurance covers the plane, hotel, and even some car rental.

The governor had a few more reasons, but I didn’t get that far at my doctor’s office in reading the newspaper. Plus, I didn’t understand one of them and would have to ask a local to explain it to me. When I get the answer, I will look for you and let you know. I may have lived here twenty years, but it was the terminology that got me stuck, not the knowledge of living here if that makes sense.

Thank you for asking, and I will do my best to answer when I understand more.
            Be well,
            Ma’iingankwe

• Wend says:

Oh wow, how do you like living in Alaska?

• M33 says:

Your bookstore up there, Gullivers Books, by the way is the northernmost bookstore in the United States!

(I only know this because our bookstore is the westernmost one in the United States–on Kauai)

• thesavvyinvester says:

Maiiingankee….

Will this agreement get Murkowski’s attention and get her on board Healthcare Reform etc as it looks like she is about to pull a Susan Collins or is she beyond reason. These efforts might predate President Trump, however to have this administrations recognition and cooperation in these matters effects her constituencies. The question begs will it soften her to realize the Trump means business in a good way…

7. Yes, it is a shame that really important matters are not being covered by the US media….really shameful and a disgrace. Tillerson is a true professional…and a mature adult. Love him and respect him.

• seabrznsun says:

The US media is driving the conversation against President Trump and in doing so settling the vision of the ordinary people in entire world. I’m thinking they are not doing well if they’re trying to make President Trump look like a nut case. While they chase squirrels the President Trump administration is busy getting important and necessary work done despite the lack of support from the dims and uniparty RINOs.

8. filia.aurea says:

Yet another region where the U.S. and Russia must have a working relationship. Totally overlooked by O’b, except for a photo shoot. U.S. navigation in this region is limited to two ice-breakers, one is on loan to U.S.N. from the Coast Guard, the other is not operational. Russia has 40 ice-breakers in service.

9. maiingankwe says:

Oh I am so beating myself up over this visit. I could have drove to Fairbanks today since it’s my husband’s first day off. I could’ve taken my sweet time knowing my daughter would’ve had someone to be at home for her when she returned from middle school.

I am ever so sorry good Teeepers. I don’t know if they would’ve allowed me in or where it had taken place, but I would’ve found it and have tried to have been present. If not, I would’ve waited like a groupie until he came out.

And get this, for some reason I thought yesterday was Tuesday, so I didn’t even pick up a paper. I like to do so for Sundays and Wednesday’s. The Fbks paper is pretty poor, liberal slanted, terribly written and in a dire need of a good editor. If my husband can find mistakes than they are definitely in trouble.

Dang it, and ever so sorry. I would’ve loved to have been there to listen or at least yell out some encouraging words to our great TRex afterwards. I guess it wasn’t meant to be. I will do my best next time when we get one of our greats visiting the area. Oh, and if anyone ever hears of any visit to Alaska, please give me a shout out. It would be greatly appreciated.

10. CountryclassVulgarian says:

Is it just me or is T-Rex supper cool😎😎😎

11. Britt West says:

Wow

This man takes his job seriously.
    That is beyond cool.

Go T. rex. We are all behind you.

• Bendix says:

I think we’re seeing a man discovering he has a talent he didn’t know he had. It’s a beautiful thing to witness.
      That seems to be a talent of our president – choosing people for their latent abilities, not their obvious ones.
      Or in some instances, seeing beyond their obvious drawbacks.

12. Cee says:

The man is indefatigable!

13. Joan says:

Great picture of T Rex. I am so happy he agreed to be SOS. What a difference after the last two creeps.

14. andi lee says:

15. andi lee says:

Really neat video put on by Artic Ministrial Council 2017. Beautiful videography.

16. andi lee says:

• paris23 says:

A lot of what they are saying in the videos above sounds like UN-based pseudoscience aimed at imposing Agenda 21 on arctic communities. I didn’t read this because it gets hard to read more of it. I just saw some video that had been taken in the arctic last autumn and it was certainly frigid – a very dangerous place for a film crew to be in November. They endeavor to give us the impression that the arctic is melting and turning into Northern California. I think nothing could be more misleading.

17. Just think…You could have had a Madam Secretary Mills and a Madam FBI Director Wasserman Shulz right now. But you fooled around and messed it up for yourselves. Now you have no news to look forward to getting angry about. You don’t get to spend all those hours researching corruption. Not as much anyway. Now you are going to win whether you like it or not.

I hope everyone’s as happy about it as I am.
    😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

18. andi lee says:

One more. Fascinating to learn about the Artic Council.

19. jojo says:

No wonder EXON is such a great company with T-Rex at the head of it. I love the manly men that POTUS has picked for his cabinet. How lucky we are We deplorables, along with Sundance, got ‘er done.

20. Aqua says:

This is a delightful and happy article and thread. I’ll just wave hi to all the Alaskans who stop by here.

I’m so impressed by the hard work of this group, working on something not many of have even heard about.

Thank you Sundance, for the up-to-date coverage of even something this far off our normal daily news topics.

21. Sunshine says:

SUNDANCE: You will be so PROUD of me. Truly, such a wonderful thing I did today. I thought of the lessons I learned here, at this most exceptional website.

I was in the waiting room of a medical clinic. All the people (about 40) were looking at the T.V., you know – those ads ”Buy one and we’ll give you another one free, all you have to pay is….”. I rarely sit down in waiting rooms, I prefer to walk around till my name is called.

So, here I am, standing and glancing at the T.V. and I turn around and address one person near me about never to buy what they are selling. I explain why: the handling charges are often more than the item itself and replacement parts must go through the supplier (more handling charges).

I then branched out very slowly into globalism and Free Trade but in very simple words and examples such as food prices that have quadrupled while T.V. sets are selling at 35% their price of ten years ago. And I go on and on… Have you not noticed that your lettuce and celery start going bad after a few days in the fridge while a few years ago, they would last for at least ten days? Why is that? The same with clothing also. And miscellaneous tools and whatever. We never needed cell phones nor I-phones, what happened and how much is this costing us for the use we make of them? Why are phone landlines gradually disappearing?

At the start, one man agreed with me. And then, another man agreed with me. And then, nobody was looking at the T.V. They were all listening to me in realization of what I was saying. Foreign interests buying up our companies, buying our land, building or buying our residential complexes while charging exorbitant rental fees.

I covered a lot in some 30 minutes. I saw with my eyes the effect my discourse had on them. I got questions and I had the answers. And I thought of SUNDANCE during the entire time.

22. nimrodman says:

23. ogzy says:

Someone here called him ‘ozero’, but I prefer just plain ‘Zero’ myself.

My 95 year-old mother-in-law calls him ‘Blackout’ (think electrical grid / crushing energy prices / etc).
    She started referring to him this way after he was elected.

24. ogzy says:

Someone here called him ‘ozero’, but I prefer just plain ‘Zero’ myself.

She started referring to him this way after he was elected in 2008.

25. itsy_bitsy says:

Least we forget – An agenda driven press does not a free country make! And today the agenda is only having the brakes applies softly! But it is a beginning, we need to annihilate the old socialistic, self serving agenda and those who push it completely! Their term “Climate Change” is self serving and in reality actually means “weather”!

• Bendix says:

One of the local papers here is running phony stories that it’s a seller’s market, to create a sense of urgency among prospective buyers of real estate. The real estate industry is still a major advertiser in newspapers, so they run supportive copy disguised as news.
      Recently laws have been changed, to allow ‘zombie properties’, leftovers from the crash, to go on the market.
      If there are houses at bargain basement prices flooding the market, it cannot possibly be a seller’s market. The media will pull out all the stops to trick the consumers into paying too much for a house.
      It’s not news, it isn’t even fake news, it’s fraud.

26. Wakefield says:

For me the jury is still out on this guy… I don’t trust his global warming/climate change stance

• wolfmoon1776 says:

I know what you’re saying, but here is what I think now.

My sense is that he’s trying not to “scare the flock” of climate sheep by too-quickly taking away their security blanket of dogma. There is a different KIND of uncertainty once we abandon the certainty of politicized climate alarmism. We are back in unsure territory, where we should be. But that will be scary to non-scientists, including the energy industry, and T. Rex understands the industry. We don’t want to go into a state of simply assuming that the earth corrects all errors – THAT is not in evidence either, IMO.

It took industry years to be mind-controlled on climate alarmism, and turning that around, without turning it around too much, is going to take time.

It’s going to take a while for scientific studies questioning the direction and magnitude of “climate change” to got done, much less for the publications to reach people’s desks. I think Tillerson is trying to give the science time to wake up from Obama hypnosis, and let the science lead, not the politicians. VERY smart.

27. Barbara Willams says:

Excellent. Seems Secty Tillerson was born to do this. So proud of the Trump admin. We are truly great again!

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Notice how they are making sure that climate data doesn’t get hidden. The Trump administration does agenda-reinforcing “cross-cutting” and “synergy” by default, without even thinking about it, much less crowing about it. THIS is what we get for putting non-pols in to fix .gov – ACTION without even asking for it.

Too much winning. THIS is how it happens. 😀

Article 7
      Access to data

1. The Parties shall facilitate access to scientific information in connection with Scientific Activities under this Agreement.

2. The Parties shall support full and open access to scientific metadata and shall encourage open access to scientific data and data products and published results with minimum time delay, preferably online and free of charge or at no more than the cost of reproduction and delivery.

3. The Parties shall facilitate the distribution and sharing of scientific data and metadata by, as appropriate and to the extent practicable, adhering to commonly accepted standards, formats, protocols, and reporting.

28. golsono says:

The Bear Necessity Council determined that a simple bear can rest at ease, therefore we have a world crisis, and will take no action until the next meeting. Go forth and gather more $