(Via ABC) U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein are interviewing candidates to take over the FBI as interim director, after James Comey’s firing Tuesday.

Four candidates are being interviewed today, fielded from senior FBI and Justice Department officials and the heads of FBI field offices across the country, according to a Justice Department official.

The four candidates: FBI Executive Assistant Director Paul Abbate, who leads the agency’s cyber and criminal branch; National Counterintelligence Executive William Evanina; Special Agent Adam Lee, who runs the Richmond field office; and Special Agent Michael Anderson, who runs the Chicago field office.

A new FBI director is expected to be chosen and announced within the next 24 to 48 hours.

“The president is in the process of evaluating individuals who will be able to fill that spot, lead the FBI and restore the confidence in the American people,” Vice President Mike Pence said today on Capitol Hill.  (read more)

Watch Vice President Mike Pence:

This entry was posted in AG Jeff Sessions, Deep State, Dept Of Justice, FBI, Jeff Sessions, media bias, Mike pence, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

286 Responses to Officials Being Interviewed for Interim FBI Position – With VP Mike Pence Interview…

1. kltk1 says:

There are a lot of names being discussed for a possible replacement. It would be well within the character of this POTUS to appoint someone no one has ever heard of that will get broad support for confirmation then get sworn in and quietly go to work without putting their mug on the TV every five minutes. If you notice, we rarely hear from his cabinet-level folks and I don’t think this is an accident. He likes it that way, and it’s good for the country. POTUS has questioned, repeatedly, these people out there announcing every five minutes what’s coming. There’s no good reason for it and it just makes for a bunch of political back and forth banter that leads to nothing getting done. That’s not what this President is about. He’s a worker and he see’s being elected as an opportunity to go to Washington to get things done for the average American citizen. Not the special interests.

• daughnworks247 says:

The thing Trump does BEST is manage people.
      Look at the Cabinet now.
      I agree with klyk1. It will probably be an out of the box pick whom no one has heard of, but will be a fabulous choice.

• jogreggre says:

Mr. Trump is indeed a great manager. And he did not come to Washington to get rich and powerful like so many politicians do. Also, whereas Mr. Trump is working to help America and make it stronger, his immediate predecessor was a pure political animal who made every single decision based on how it would best advantage his progressive agenda and strengthen the Democrat Party. The difference is astonishing. We are absolutely blessed to have Mr. Trump.

2. drdeb says:

I love Sheriff Joe Arpaio. He is my top pick followed by Judge Napolitano. The democrats would suffer massive coronaries were Sheriff Joe selected. Joe served many years with the FBI. Judge Napolitano would also be great! It would be tough to get him on the Supreme Court so why not this?

• Lance E Schaffer says:

OMG…Joe is 84 years old! You might want to rethink your first choice.

• Kristin says:

I love Sheriff Joe. I live in his county but Joe needs to be with his wife now who is ill.
      Sheriff Joe is 80+ years old. He did a great job and his legacy has been made. We have younger people who can fill this position easily. I feel the Democrats are always going back to their stash of have-been-there-people already. They are willing to run Hillary again for crikes sake!!!
      I am sure President Trump has quite a few golfers in front of him of great Americans.

• tellthetruth2016 says:

I like Pam Bondi, here in Florida myself ……..

• aqua says:

I hope it’s not Pam Bondi. She has cultivated connections in Scientology with fundraisers on her behalf, thereby blocking her from ever truly investigating them for all their human rights abuses and IRS fraud. Sorry, but this does not help Republicans.

3. NJ Transplant says:

They should not give the job to anyone currently in the FBI. They need Sheriff Clarke to clean house and push out the swamp creatures.

• Ghostrider says:

And, why not give the job to an existing FBI person? By doing so demonstrates a strong belief in promoting from within. Sheriff Clarke is a great guy and I like him a lot; but he definitively lacks the leadership experience required at this level. He won’t cut he mustard and would be in over his head.

• Oldschool says:

Agree ghost. Love Clarke, but an FBI promotion would boost morale. Just like Kelly did with HHS

• PatriotKate says:

As long as it’s not some damn lawyer. Needs to be a real lawman. And, while there is sympathetic feelings for Sheriff Joe, he’s in his 80’s for goodness sakes.

• ronheinzkaboot says:

I agree with you but I would love to see some Democrat Senators heads actually explode during the confirmation hearing. Can you imagine the outfit Sheriff Clarke would wear to the confirmation hearing too?
        I want to caveat this with I have tremendous respect for Sheriff Clarke and really do want to see him in Trump’s cabinet or team in some way. I think FBI Director is over his skis, but I could be a 100% wrong–he’s an impressive dude.
        It just gives me pleasure fantasizing about Trump putting him forward

• Wayne Robinson says:

God knows I love our Sheriff but I’m not sure this is best also the Sheriff is not someone who is gonna be of a party spirit . He is more kinda straight up and down guy , he wouldn’t persecute someone cause they were in disagreement about opinions but only if they were corrupt as in any direction. The law is impartial and that needs to be maintained . I will support the Sheriff in any job as I trust him. At one point I was sure I would never trust a black man again but now I am sure that isn’t what God wants , each man stands on his own merits and character as it should be .

• Disagree. Need to go to down the chain a way so to find good untainted person, but promoting from within boosts morale. To put someone in without any FBI experience would cause a credibility issue.

4. Apfelcobbler says:

Notice that no one at the FBI tendered their signatures – and it’s been 24 hours now…

Gotta marvel at Trump’s “You told informed me 3x” line in his letter to Comey. Balls of titanium. Only a Boss would dare pull that off.

Will Comey strike back? He certainly had yet another career in him after his FBI term, should he have chosen political office, for example. Still might, of course, depending on which way the winds blow years from now, but that problematic line implies he’s not to be trusted, at any level.

5. Scotty19541 says:

Now if I have it right President Trump can pick an interim Director of the FBI without senate confirmation … so ….. how about if he puts in Rudy Giuliani as interim? The demonrats and uniparty scum would be so scared that whoever he nominates (my pick would be Sheriff Clarke) would sail right through! LOL…. Love my President! God bless President Donald J. Trump!

• tempo150101 says:

Sheriff Clarke is a great TV guy and probably a good public servant, but I think you have to be in super gifted of skill to be the FBI director. I like Sheriff Clarke but I can’t take TV guys seriously. I think we need a heavy hitter

• trialbytruth says:

Interesting someone so detestable to the dems that they won’t delay THE better replacement. Sheriff Clark with his guarantee to take vacume bag down would be a great pick for that purpose

• trialbytruth says:

6. Texas Patriot says:

SHERIFF DAVID CLARKE FOR FBI DIRECTOR!

7. SonFlower says:

I love my President! Every time I see him on TV and hear them say “President Trump” I feel like I’m dreaming. We fought so hard, and prayed for him and we did it! I trust him..he’s brilliant! And he was “appointed for such a time as this..”

8. Liked by 5 people

9. Sandra-VA says:

I realize how much we all love Sheriff Clarke and Joe Arpaio, but lets be realistic. Clarke is not really qualified to run the largest law enforcement bureau in the World; he has been very out there politically. Arpaio is just way too old, not to mention he would never ever make it through confirmation… and again, he is just too old.

I really think that it should be someone from within the FBI (current or former) – apolitical, a straight shooter, respected and VERY good at their job. Maybe one of the people who worked on the Holy Land Foundation case 😉

• Evelyn says:

I don’t necessarily disagree with your reasoning, but in spite of this my money is on Sheriff Clarke. I personally believe Kim Clement was a modern day prophet, and he prophesied about “Donald” and “Clark” a number of years ago. It was quite a prophecy.

God left us with these instructions: 21 You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?” 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed.

I guess we’ll see! Praise the Lord and pass the popcorn 🙂

• TexasRanchQueen says:

Fine Mr. Soweto, fill out these forms, and of course we will need your original long-form Birth Certificate, social security card, your college transcripts, references, credit report and of course all applicants are drug tested, fingerprinted, lie detector test..

10. It should be a complete curveball to shut up Schumer forever, but honest and not corruptable. How about Alan Dershowitz? Wait till he investigates the Clinton Foundation! Nobody will be able to say anything when he recommends indictment

11. Rip Tide says:

Sundance, how in the world do you get copies of those letters so fast

12. Sandra-VA says:

Based on the fact that this guy was supposedly the one who decided what got disclosed, or not, to the Go8 – National Counterintelligence Executive William Evanina – I think he is OUT OUT OUT!

And take his coat.

13. Rip Tide says:

SD, you are a day and a half ahead of the network news most of the time. You are amazing, and have excellent sources. Thank you for bringing the truth all day everyday. You help all of us Treepers stay sharp…I am just incredibly curious how the heck you do it!!! Back to my branch😎😎😎

14. I well understand the wisdom of replacing Comey with a senior and long-time Conservative FBI guy. But I still think a non-FBI guy with impeccable, Conservative, Attorney/Legal mind like Rudy Guliani would make the best replacement. Wonder what Sundance thinks of this??

15. RJ says:

Sheriff David Clarke reminds me of Mel Blount, the Hall of Fame cornerback of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Number 47, one of the greatest of all- time.

• boogywstew says:

Mel Blount was the voice of Bugs Bunny too! Let’s appoint Mel Blount to be FBI head and he’d have a leg up (leghorn?) on catching nefarious characters like that National Park terrorist,Yosemite Sam, the serial animal abuser, Sylvester, and that dealer in endangered species, Elmer Fudd.

16. melski says:

I think we need a female FBI Director. One who can turn things around and drain the swamp. My choice would be Susan Rice. She has experience, top security clearance already and knows who all the swamp creatures are in the FBI. /s/

17. way2opinionated says:

The new director should not be a “Personality”. Giuliani, Clarke, Arpaio, etc. are “Personalities”. The FBI directorship is a) administrative. b) legal (like in lawyerly/prosecutorially (even though the Bureau doesn’t prosecute)), It is not a place for a showboat.

18. graphiclucidity says:

I thought the president would make a bold choice for the new director, somebody well known, well-respected, and professional to rebuild the FBI and get some integrity back inside the bureau.

Mr, Trump has instead, it seems, decided to make the safe bet with an FBI insider.
    This could be a choice to get easy confirmation by having Sessions pick a non-partisan company man with ample qualifications.

The president may surprise us yet though, perhaps with a female prospect.
    That would throw the Democrats a snake of a curveball.

19. MaineCoon says:

Here’s a dumb but serious question.

IF correct assumption, an Interim FBI Dir. does not need to be confirmed. What’s to prevent putting someone as Iterim Dir. but never bother to nominate the permanent one as Senate takes to long to confirm and might not confirm The person.

Just bypass the arzes and call it a day.

20. What about Condi Rice? She is female ,black proven. It would be hard for Dems to grill her without looking ___ist or ____ophobic.

• churchmouse says:

Condi Rice ignored warnings about 9/11. Had she done something at the time, those attacks probably would not have happened (emphases mine):

Tenet left the meeting feeling frustrated. Though Rice had given them a fair hearing, no immediate action meant great risk. Black felt the decision to just keep planning was a sustained policy failure. Rice and the Bush team had been in hibernation too long. “Adults should not have a system like this,” he said later.

The July 10 meeting between Tenet, Black and Rice went unmentioned in the various reports of investigations into the Sept. 11 attacks, but it stood out in the minds of Tenet and Black as the starkest warning they had given the White House on bin Laden and al-Qaeda. Though the investigators had access to all the paperwork on the meeting, Black felt there were things the commissions wanted to know about and things they didn’t want to know about …

Afterward, Tenet looked back on the meeting with Rice as a tremendous lost opportunity to prevent or disrupt the Sept. 11 attacks. Rice could have gotten through to Bush on the threat, but she just didn’t get it in time, Tenet thought. He felt that he had done his job and had been very direct about the threat, but that Rice had not moved quickly. He felt she was not organized and did not push people, as he tried to do at the CIA.

Black later said, “The only thing we didn’t do was pull the trigger to the gun we were holding to her head.”

• boogywstew says:

Well you did use an unimpeachable source like the Washington Post so I will have to just go along with whatever they say. LOL!

• churchmouse says:

You might say ‘LOL’. I remembered hearing the same on UK television after it happened, when UK media still looked at the facts.

Sounds as if the US had a media blackout in 2001.

I wouldn’t wonder why. The same occurred with Bill Clinton’s women in the early 1990s. We found out. You didn’t. LOL?

• boogywstew says:

I love Condi Rice and want to have her baby. My knowledge of biology might be suspect but my heart is true! I don’t trust the Washington Post as they tend to be vehemently anti Republican. I don’t think much of the BBC for the same reason. I’m of British heritage from both sides and I spent a little time in London. I’m 100% anglophile.

• churchmouse says:

That’s okay.

I’m just telling you — Washington Post or not — that I remember coverage as it happened in 2001. Condoleeza Rice said then that there was intelligence they received months before and did not act on it.

• pcockroft says:

She is running the state department according to Roger Stone and is a strong never Trumper. It sounds as if she would be against what Sessions has in mind and he has definite plans.

• Rurik says:

I’m really suspicious of anyone who has been Provost of a major university.

21. carolinerh says:

Most bloggers today are 99% for Trey Gowdy because, like Trump, he works hard and speaks straightforward and is exceptionally well respected. I hope it will be Trey and we know this within a couple of days.

• tellthetruth2016 says:

Gowdy is a Bengahzi traitor …… Dog and pony show, nothing more ……. I had high hopes for him But he showed his true colors during the primaries …..

• David Rowley says:

Gowdy faced the same problems Trump is facing, an uncooperative spirit from intelligence agencies as well as having to include Democrats like Cummings on the committee. He is smart, sharp and impeccably honest. Trump could not do much better than him I’m my humble opinion

• boogywstew says:

Every time a serving elected official is chosen we have to sweat bullets over getting another Republican elected back in their place. Especially in the Senate with such a slim margin, I don’t think that’s such a great idea.

22. georgiafl says:

So glad President Trump is naming an Interim Director – so McCabe won’t be in charge.

23. William Ford says:

I just hope Trump appoint another member of #NeverTrump from the GOP establishment ranks. He has filled several spots with these traitors who will undermine him at every turn. I don’t know who is advising Trump but he needs better advisers. Get some input from Trump loyalists like Rudy Guiliani and Sheriff Clarke. Not GOPe careerists like Priebus.

24. Rick says:

One thing that was going on with Jim Comey and the so called “Russian” investigation is that the democratic party along with their press and media outlets were using Jim Comey and the Russian investigation as a “Straw Man” in order to allow the statue of limitations to run out on the prosecution of Hillary Clinton and the Clinton foundation and her email scandal. It’s all about dragging out this Russian farce to assure no prosecution of the Clintons because then all of the democratic party including the Obama administration would be exposed for the Thugs they are.