Republicans Vote to Bring Back “Compensatory Time” Option For Workers…

The various media pundits and news stories are calling H.R. 1180 a “new overtime bill”.  However, in reality the ‘take pay or take time off’ concept is more than 50 years old; we used to call it “compensatory time” or “comp time”.

WASHINGTON – […] Voting along party lines, the House of Representatives passed a bill Tuesday that would allow private-sector employers to compensate their overtime-working employees with paid time off instead of paying them time-and-a-half as currently required.

The bill, H.R. 1180, would tweak the Fair Labor Standards Act, which mandates employers that require hourly-paid employees to work more than 40 hours a week to pay time-and-a-half, or 1.5 times their usual hourly rate. The bill also prohibits employers from coercing or intimidating employees to choose time off instead of overtime pay.

House Republicans passed the bill, sponsored by Rep. Martha Roby (R-Ala.), with no Democrats voting in favor. The bill will now go to the Senate, where it will require 60 votes to avoid a filibuster by Democrats. (read more)

The professionally Democrat hate the concept, but most Democrat politicians have zero experience in understanding how incredibly beneficial compensatory time can be.

Many of us came from an era when “compensatory time” was a fantastic way for people to utilize it to make their lives much easier.

The basic principle can be awesome for employees for a variety of reasons.  However, few young workers today have an understanding of how it works.

Say you work 60 hours in a week.  If ‘compensatory time’ options are available you can take your standard 40 hour paycheck and defer the 20 overtime hours to future time off at the OT rate of time-and-a-half (20 x 1.5), gaining you 30 hours of comp time.

Historically this was an excellent way for middle-class young people to attend college and still get a consistent paycheck.   You work five weeks at 70 hours per week and the 150 overtime hours convert to 225 paid comp time hours.  That’s six weeks off and you are still getting a paycheck.

I know dozens of people who worked long hours in the summer, and Thanksgiving/Christmas holiday breaks, building up enough comp-time so they received a paycheck throughout their entire college terms when they were not working.

Even more people used comp-time as a bank to save up time off for childbirth or other family plans where they could take big chunks of time off work and still get paid consistently.

Additionally, even more people used partial ‘comp-time’ as way to work periods of only part-time (2 days a week etc.) but still be paid for the entire week filling in the other 3 days with comp-time.  This was the preferred practice for working students during college semesters; there was never a downside.

Nothing was ever forced it was simply an option.  Take the overtime pay, or bank the overtime as paid time off.  It was a great system and provided numerous benefits while simultaneously allowing the business to control payroll and labor cost efficiencies.

Season businesses really liked comp-time because it meant they could ramp up hours worked during peak business periods, and not have to lay-off workers in the slower periods because the workers converted the previous work hours into time-off with pay.  It really was a win/win.

Against the backdrop of an anticipated exploding Trump economy hopefully this bill will pass the Senate and a new generation of young people and middle-class workers will be able to see the benefits such a system of pay options can provide.

Senator Elizabeth Warren is absolutely clueless on this issue.  I’ll bet she doesn’t even know a single person in her life who ever used “compensatory time” because she’s surrounded by limo-liberals who are detached from common sense workers.

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Dem Hypocrisy, Economy, Education, Legislation, media bias, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

112 Responses to Republicans Vote to Bring Back “Compensatory Time” Option For Workers…

1. mimbler says:

99 percent of my working years I was an exempt employee (didn’t get time and a half for overtime). So when I did get paid overtime it was as straight hourly rate, but taxed at my maximum bracket. It wasn’t worth much.

My last job let me take it as comp time and I loved it. Extra vacation or time off for life’s little challenges.

Glad to see it will be available for more people,
    Mike

2. Gil says:

My husband gets comp time. He banks it all. When my son was born thats how we had planned for his time off to get paid. He ended up needing an extra week off due to my complications and guess what? We had the money in comp time. It is also how he is able to take a 2 week vacation. Comp time is a very common sense approach!

• farmhand1927 says:

The benefit to the family unit and personal life is a big plus which is why Dem’s hate this idea—their goal is to destroy the family.

3. The hypocritical Democrats oppose paying working people for time off. That’s rich.

• Neural says:

The Democrats oppose paying people at all.

• Windy Day says:

But they have no problem with people paying THEM!!!

• farmhand1927 says:

The Democrats oppose people working, period. Hook as many on welfare as possible, create an ‘equal’ society in which everybody but the Ruling Class has nothing and then they have permanent power. Like Venezuela, Cuba and North Korea.

• wheatietoo says:

We are swimming in a sea
      Of Democrat hypocrisy

• Charlie says:

Senator not reading or too dumb to understand – Warren go home! “Common” democrat!

• filia.aurea says:

Senator Pocahantas is one unnatural woman. As a working mother, while being a salaried employee, paid overtime was not an option – regardless of how many hours it took to get the job done. However, comp. time was a lifesaver, much more valuable than any amount of extra money! To be able to take a few hours, or even a few days when I needed was the best perk of all.

• farmhand1927 says:

Warren never acknowledges why people are ‘scraping by’. Its her party and her former president that governs in a way to keep people poor and dissatisfied. That way, when election time rolls around, the Disgruntled Masses are easily whipped up into a frenzy when told their misery will be compounded if they elect the other guys. Stick with us and nothing will get better, right Elizabeth?

Cut from the same cloth: Hillary has launched a new PAC to support her ‘pet interests’. Her pet interests are money, money, money for Hillary, Hillary, Hillary.

• filia.aurea says:

Neither Warren nor Clinton are even remotely qualified to speak on behalf of traditional females; we’re well educated and hold ethical behavior and moral decency in high regard. They’re an embarrassment to our gender.

• farmhand1927 says:

The Dem’s hate this idea because they don’t understand the concept—they don’t work long enough to accumulate comp time. Putting that much time in on a job would take them away from their safe spaces, street riots and whining sessions. Those that even do work, anyway.

4. TwoLaine says:

I tho’t full-time is now 25 hours a week, not 40, at least until OCare is GUTTED! Did I sleep through something?

• Alison says:

The Ocare definition of fulltime is different than Labor Dept definition for overtime etc. you can’t mix the apples with the oranges 😊

• JoAnn Leichliter says:

The Healthcare bill just passed in the House eliminates required employer-paid insurance.

• TwoLaine says:

That part I knew, but it is not on the President’s desk yet, so we can’t count on anything in it.

• SteveInCO says:

Which is fantastic news, actually. Full time jobs might make a bit of a comeback.

• Melanie says:

My son works for a company which always has “Hiring” on it’s door. No one is allowed over 39 hours. Obviously it’s because of having to give the workers benefits.
          I have been hoping that under President Trump this practice will start changing. BTW, in my area this is a customary business plan.

• I don’t want to get my medical insurance through my employer. I want to be able to buy it on the open market, over state lines. I have many co-workers who have gotten very, very ill and our employer will only hold their jobs for 90 days while paying for their insurance. After that the employee has to COBRA the plan which is ridiculously expensive, especially for someone who has been out of work for 3 months living off of their savings (if they had any). If I buy my affordable plan outside of my employer then I can continue to pay my affordable premiums even if I lose my job or get very sick.

• mike says:

Insurance is overrated, especially if you’re more self reliant than most. Much of what insurance plans pay for is mediocre “standard care” with few choices in network.

If you really are on the edge of life itself, going way out of network or (smart, careful) DIY is often necessary. And tin plate insurance usually doesn’t cover much of that.

5. Beryl Bomb says:

I expect 100% of the resistance to this to come from people who have never signed nor earned a paycheck.

Oh, and in the future they can just lead with “Obama threatened to veto this” and you got my support.

6. Pam says:

Warren like some of her far left senate comrades is a communist leftist. No wonder she doesn’t get it.

• WVPatriot says:

100% CPUSA members et al, Pam.

• KBR says:

Warren doesn’t get it because she does not punch a clock.

The Senate should have to punch a time-clock inside the Capitol Bldg door which is guarded by armed MP Marines. (And NOT computerized, so it can be “wiped with a cloth” or otherwise cheated easily.)

That alone would save the country millions or billions. Add the House of Reps to that, or the HOR’s as I call it.

They still wouldn’t comprehend comp time nor time-and-a-half-pay, because they never ever would do or would work a full forty hours a week thrughout the year and will never live with only a one or two week vacation and limited “sick days” for which a signed physician’s note is required to get paid.

Working from their “home office?” Too bad. I cannot tell you how many hours I had to put in at home without compensation nor comptime to grade papers and prepare lessons. Especially when time at work was filled up with mostly useless and boring “meetings” that dragged on and on accomplishing nothing except eating up my paid time so I had to work for free later.

And,
      Any of their trips should require to-the-penney and very limited expense accounts, including a report of how each item works “for the people.” If spouses want to go, they pay for their own trip. Aides should be limited to what the Senators can afford out of pocket: they get paid quite enough to afford an aide if they need one.

(As it is I feel sure that now their entire haute couture wardrobes are paid out of expense accounts, not to mention drugs, copious amounts of liquor and choice of hookers or toyboys, various bribes and other “miscellaneous expenses” in the millions of dollars a year…or maybe even per trip.)

• Reality Wins says:

I love your wish list but would like to add something. Require all Senators and HORs (love that!) to take a drug and alcohol urine test after every vote. Don’t pass the test, your vote does not count. Quickest way to clean up Congress

7. Chip Bennett says:

If I didn’t know that Fauxcahontas was lying through her teeth every time she opens her mouth, I would be forced to believe that she was too stupid to be able to tie her own shoes.

8. fleporeblog says:

SD I agree this would be a great bill if passed. Not a single Democrat House Member voted in favor of it. We would need 8 Democrats in the Senate to vote yes. Do you see that as a real possibility?

• bofh says:

Manchin, most likely.

A lot of seats are up next election, so there are probably others that will also back it, but Schumer will probably only allow no more than 6 or 7 so as not to affect the final falling-short outcome of the vote. At this point it doesn’t matter what the issue is – Schumer sees his role as thwarting everything.

9. Meatzilla says:

When I retired I had 2,841 hours of Comp Time accrued over a little bit over 25 years.

That alone was one heckuva payout when I took my final leave 🙂

• My husband had to take a whole year off back in 2004 and because he saved ALL of his comp time, he had a full paycheck during the entire year.

FYI! He is the kind of guy that never missed a day of work. The only time he took a day off in 15 yrs was the day we bought and brought home his new John Deere Tractor. What a joy it was for me to see him so happy. That Tractor still looks brand new and has hundreds of hours on it. I love my hard working blue collar husband! We are middle Class Americans, now both retired, and Love President Trump!

Sundance, thanks for writing up the explanation. I am better armed with education from you to set people straight should the topic come up. Your work is the best ever and I’m so grateful to you!

10. Donna in Oregon says:

Comp time is awesome. It is also a lovely parting gift if you leave.

• WSB says:

Tell that to the architecture and design industry. When I think of all the hours at the office until 3AM, I could scream! I guess there is no clawback clause…

11. FLEEVY says:

Winning, winning, and winning! That roller coaster quote really was on point.

12. CathyMAGA says:

I work 48.5 hours a week, hourly. I get 15 vacation days a year, but I might consider this too, should it pass. A few hours a week adding up, might mean down the road, I might only have to work 44 hours a week for a few weeks-like in the dead times. (now) It’s all good… figures the libtards flip out, clueless morons.

13. rsanchez1990 says:

Pocahontas, how is cheating workers out of overtime if you give workers the option to accrue even more time off? In the end, it’s a choice for the workers. I thought the Democrats were the party of choice…

• H.R. says:

rsanchez1990: “I thought the Democrats were the party of choice…”

Oh, certainly, rsanchez1990. I have a lot of choice words for the Democrat Party ;o)

14. woohoowee says:

Common sense is breaking out all over the place today 🙂 Americans celebrating everywhere!

15. booger71 says:

Since this is not a budgetary bill, maybe McTurtle will invoke the nuclear option

16. Snow White says:

Of course the demoncrats are against it. They are against anything America First, against anything that would make people’s lives better except their own, and all for illegals, communists, freaks of nature, moozies, killing us with taxes, regulations, strangling the economy with myriad of rules and regulations and making everyone dependent on government. No more evil demoncrats, enough is enough. We finally have a true people’s president, God bless our awesome president Trump.

17. ALEX says:

It will be interesting to see if any republicans vote against it…We most likely won’t get eight democrats, but I want to see a Collins and Murkowski etc vote….

I also want a stand alone vote on Wall funding…We will not get many of President Trumps priorities, but we can get these people on record….It’s the only way forward…

• dalethorn says:

I have no concern for the wall, because it will be built if every retired person in the U.S. has to go there and work on it. They have my number…

• maiingankwe says:

Dalethorn,
        If comp time is passed, you might see even a heck of a lot more volunteers for the Wall. I’d certainly want to add to it, it would be something I’d be bragging to my grandchildren when that time comes.

Yes, I’d love to put in some good ole sweat on that project, so I better give them my number too. I would venture to guess there would be millions of volunteers.

I think our President has this, but if he doesn’t I will look for some of you down there.

18. Snow White says:

Of course the demoncrats are against it. They are against anything America First, anything that would make people’s lives easier except their own. They are all for illegals, freaks, commies, moozies, anything that lines up their pockets and creates dependents on the government while destroying businesses and people’s lives through taxes, rules and regulations. Let’s hope they become nonexistent in a few years, by self-destructing while we MAGA. Thank God for our awesome, wonderful president. God bless your fearless president Trump.😚😚😚

19. Beryl Bomb says:

I’m waiting for the PRO CHOICE people to say workers shouldn’t have A CHOICE.

Too soon?

20. BiggBear says:

I’m sorry, but I’m no fan of Comp time. As things are at my job now, I have to work after hours for certain things. But do I get to take the day or hours off before or after? No, I still have to put in my 40 each week. It would be fine if what I had to do was work over occasionally, but in my case, it’s we can’t do anything until after hours, then it takes till 2 or 3 in the morning to finish it. Frankly, I’d rather get paid. As for me, Show me the money!!

• AZ_Giggles says:

It allows it as an option for employers. If, as you say, you work regularly after hours. Chances are your employer will maintain the option to pay you straight overtime instead of comp time. The biggest group this helps is seasonal work or other work that has peaks and valleys of “busy” time. My work has comp time available for salary workers (well, not exactly “comp time” since I’m exempt and not hourly) but I love it! Busy weeks here and there and then later I can take a few days off to recover without it affecting my paycheck.

• BiggBear says:

You said: Chances are your employer will maintain the option to pay you straight overtime instead of comp time.

Nope. I work for the State. They are cheap. No overtime pay for anything if you make over a certain amount. For what I do in the private sector, I would get twice what I get paid and OT for over 40. Not here. Union rules.

So, why don’t I go to the private sector? I’m too old and too tired. I was there, but, after 30 years of “What have you done for me lately?” in the private sector, this is a better way to spend my last years.

Still, I’d rather get paid.

21. El Torito says:

For me, it depends on the job, the company, and how Mgmt deals with it. I’ve had great experiences with it, where using it was my decision, and I’ve been in jobs where it felt like the mgmt was doing me a favor by giving me a day off, even though I had tons of comp time coming. Some companies work the hell out you and give comp, then when it’s slow ask for people to take off and use the comp time. So it could be kind of a pain depending on the company you work for. Could be great. But I would like the option of getting time and a half OR comp. Just random $.02. Ultimately, it seems companies will be inclined to hire more and that’s what this country needs – jobs. So it’s a win, Trump train picking up steam!

22. NJF says:

I’m surprised they are against it bc fed employees used to get it. My dad used to work a certain number of days, and then “earn a 1/2 a day paid time off.”

Same with if you worked for NYS, my friends dad had about 2 years worth saved up when he retired.

Obama just wanted employers to pay overtime whether the business required it or not.

• emet says:

Yep. Worked comp time for the Federl Govt at 1:1. Some duties did not qualify for overtime. I think in 1990 they stopped me when I got to 250 hours.

23. I was able to earn multiple certifications qualifying me for better-paying positions, all because the hospital I worked at offered a comp time option for other healthcare-related study. It used to be a common way to advance your education.

24. dalethorn says:

I see a hint at something that wasn’t said explicitly (as far as I can tell) – does this bill say that where comp time is offered in place of time-and-a-half overtime, that the comp time will also be time-and-a-half, in every case?

• Shadrach says:

I’ve never heard of it being time and a half. When I get it, it’s been a choice between the money at 1.5 x wage or the time off (straight time). I usually choose the time off. It’s cheaper for the employer and more enjoyable for me. Plus if I work comp time, I need the time to recover.

• Sylvia Avery says:

In my work experience, when comp time was offered it was not hour for hour it was 1.5 hours for every hour worked. However, depending on the Fair Labor Standards Act there was (at least at that time) another category for Non-Standard Work Week employees. This meant if you had a job that meant you might have to do a little travel or something else that resulted in a fairly regular situation where your duties demanded you work 8.5 hours one day, and 9 hours another day, or something like that, you were to “flex” your schedule within that one work week so that you didn’t exceed 40 hours in your work week. If you did exceed 40 hours, that would either be overtime paid at time and a half or “comp” time accrued at the time and a half rate. It worked well.

• Sylvia Avery says:

Not sure I was very clear. If you were “flexing” your schedule within your work week, it was straight hour for hour and referred to as exchange time. An example would be you were out on the job and traffic was slow and you didn’t get back to the shop by the end of your day and accrued an extra half hour of work time, you would then (depending on sup’s approval) get your half hour back within that work week. One popular option would be to take add it to your lunch break the next day, or save it till Friday and leave a half hour early. But again, that was only if your job was designated by the Fair Labor Standards Act as a Non-Standard Work Week position.

Frankly, there was a real lack of understanding on the part of supervisors, management, and employees about the whole thing and how it worked. I think it is a good option and am glad to see they are trying to restore it, but like everything else there are opportunities for unscrupulous types to take advantage at every level (management, supervision, or line staff).

• JoAnn Leichliter says:

I believe that is what Sundance said: 1 1/2 time or money.

25. hawkeye13 says:

We had the choice unofficially to take comp time 30 years ago at the company I work for, but it was hour for hour, not the 1.5 as described. It was abused anyway and they stopped doing it.

The way this looks is there is no downside, unless the fine print has something about forcing someone to take comp time instead of paying out overtime.. I’ve been salaried the last 25 years, took a big hit when I changed from hourly to salaried, but about 10 years had a boss that valued me and gave me a decent raise.

26. palafox says:

Given the limited concerns a few of you have expressed on this, and given the quotes above from the article cited above, what exactly is the downside to this bill that has the liberals hyperventilating in anger?

27. As an hourly worker, this is great news. Everyone knows at a certain point OT just gets eaten up in taxes. So many of my fellow employees pass on OT, just for that very reason. Now, to be able to bank it, that is a blessing!!! WINNING!!!!
    As bus drivers, we have whole stretches of unpaid days off, do to the school calendar. Now, people won’t be struggling!!!

28. Chuck says:

The dems don’t like comp time because the unions don’t want it.

29. no-nonsense-nancy says:

I didn’t realize they stopped it. i used to work for the state and we were mandated to work overtime on a regular basis. I usually took the money but it was nice sometimes having comp time to ad to a holiday or a weekend.

30. Worked for AT&T as a tech and a manager for many years. Managerial comp time was always offered but NEVER really allowed. We were always “too busy,” “too shorthanded.” The excuses were endless. Maybe it was allowed in the touchy-feely corporate side but not in operations where most of us worked. In fact as a manager-if I did not work at least two hours extra a day (30 minutes in before your techs and 90 minutes after they leave) I was gigged on my annual evaluation. Where you only possibly got a raise and a “bonus” if your boss felt like giving it to you. Companies will always try to screw you out of it or at the very least make if very difficult for you to use.

• dobbsfan says:

Same here. Offered, but frowned upon at ‘appraisal’ time. So I continue to take the money….sock it away, it will come in handy when I’m old and gray…..or paying for something the LibTARDS and can’t be reconciled.

31. Marc says:

Does this bill give the option solely to the employer or can the individual worker decide what he or she wants? I’d hope it gives more choice to workers as some people may simply want the upfront time and a half, especially lower income folks that pay little to nothing in federal taxes. If you only make $9 or $10 an hour in a part time job, you likely would prefer the time and a half upfront rather than paid time off, which may not be an option to the employee in the first place.

• Sylvia Avery says:

From the article: “The bill also prohibits employers from coercing or intimidating employees to choose time off instead of overtime pay.”

• Marc says:

Then that is good. I’m sure many companies will try to get over on their employees in any way they can in order to not pay the full comp time.

• KBR says:

Tell me, if an employer is “prohibited” but does it anyway, what is the worker gonna do?

Hire an attorney for big bucks while he is fired for balking?

Who will enforce this part?

• Sylvia Avery says:

FWIW, there are options. In my state, for example you could make a complaint with the State Department of Labor and Industries. There may be a federal option as well where an employee could file a complaint with the Labor Board or something, I just don’t know.

I DO know that my employer at least made an attempt to keep this straight, because we had employees who put in more than 40 hour work weeks (without supervisor’s approval) so they could catch up on their work, and tracked in on their calendars, and then they would get annoyed over something unrelated and put in a claim for back overtime pay for all those hours. And we had to pay.

Still, there is always a price to pay for fighting for your rights.

• Kaco says:

Like finding a reason to fire you, I guess.

What has stopped employers from not offering this and needing this bill to do it?

• Sylvia Avery says:

Not sure, Kaco, why an employer couldn’t offer you this if they wanted to–it seems logical, doesn’t it? And they might be able to, but I kind of think the whole entire thing is covered by the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. I’m not knowlegable enough about the whole law so it may only apply to employers who have more than, say, 50 employees or something. But if the Fair Labor Standards Act applies to your business, those are the rules they MUST follow. It blows my mind at times to think of the things that the federal government regulates. It seems like an endless number of things.

32. alliwantissometruth says:

Ever notice the people who work at jobs that actually require work all seem to be Trump supporters?

And ever notice those who don’t work or those suck on the teat of the taxpayers (government employees) all seem to be anti-Trump?

Funny how that works

33. Political Reviewer says:

Questions: If an hourly employee is making say $10/hour x 1.5 in comp time during the first year, then $12/hour x 1.5 in comp time during years two and three and then cashes out the total accrued comp time in year four, is the comp time payout calculated using each separate year’s hourly pay rate x 1.5 x total comp hours saved?
    Second question: Are taxes on deferred comp time due in the year the time is accrued or in the year the deferred comp time payment is made?
    Thanks for your help.

• MfM says:

Taxes would be in the year you took the time and got paid for it.

There maybe some limits in the bill about how soon it must be cashed out.

• MBA says:

For your first question, can’t happen, has to be payed out each year.

(3)Hour limit
      (A)Maximum hours
      An employee may accrue not more than 160 hours of compensatory time.
      (B)Compensation date
      Not later than January 31 of each calendar year, the employee’s employer shall provide monetary compensation for any unused compensatory time off accrued during the preceding calendar year that was not used prior to December 31 of the preceding year at the rate prescribed by paragraph (6). An employer may designate and communicate to the employer’s employees a 12-month period other than the calendar year, in which case such compensation shall be provided not later than 31 days after the end of such 12-month period.

(6)Rate of compensation
      (A)General rule
      If compensation is to be paid to an employee for accrued compensatory time off, such compensation shall be paid at a rate of compensation not less than—
      (i)the regular rate earned by such employee when the compensatory time was accrued; or
      (ii)the regular rate earned by such employee at the time such employee received payment of such compensation,
      whichever is higher.
      (B)Consideration of payment
      Any payment owed to an employee under this subsection for unused compensatory time shall be considered unpaid overtime compensation.

34. Kaco says:

Is this only an option for employers to choose but not employees whether they want the overtime pay or take the time off? I know someone who frequently counts on overtime pay, don’t know if it would affect him or not.

• Kaco says:

Nevermind! Someone answered above. Window open, but didn’t read until now so it wasn’t refreshed.

That’s great if an employee has a say in it.

35. G. Combs says:

I LOVED comp time.
    When I started work, I worked in chemical factories. Often a process would take ten to 12 hours to go to completion. So we would work the time necessary and then take Comp time (3 day week ends). When holidays rolled around we would work a full week plus Caterday and then get a whole week off for the 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New years and Easter. That was ‘6 extra weeks’ of vacation. Well worth the overtime. Lots of happy workers besides me since the boss would ask us first. (It was always YES!!!)

36. average Joe says:

Government motto if it ain’t broke fix it until it is.

37. MfM says:

I would think this could be sold as a quality of life issue. When you get paid overtime your taxes go up and your family is stressed. If you have the ability to choose money or time at (1.5) people would make the choice that works for them.

38. zephyrbreeze says:

This will make thing so much easier at work. So relieved.

39. pattyloo says:

Many of the comments above talk about getting paid out for the comp time when you leave. That doesn’t seem to match the definition of comp time. It is earned time off work, not time that can be cashed out. My experience with comp time was the employer usually wanted us to take the comp time earned in the same quarter as earned.

My friends who work hourly jobs love their 1.5 OT rate. They volunteer for OT whenever possible. The money is more important to them than getting time off. I think they’d miss the extra $$ if their employer can choose to not pay OT.

If you add comp time with your accrued Vacation time, it can become difficult to take the time off and still be on top of your job. it’s very common for workers to defer scheduling vacation time, and many companies have a ‘use it or lose it’ policy. I’ve worked in places where 75% of the staff are off the entire month of December due to not being able to roll accrued vacation over to the next year.

That is another way employers save $$ by forcing you to take your vacation instead of being paid for it.

• Sylvia Avery says:

The way it used to work is the employer had some ability to make rules over the use of comp time. For example, we had to use it all by the end of the fiscal year (otherwise it really played heck with the ability to budget) and it sticks in my mind when we wanted to take any vacation time we had to exhaust comp time first before we used our vacation time. This was a fairly common sense thing that was done to prevent banking huge amounts of comp time because for my employer that would have been another difficult budgeting issue.

40. Katherine McCoun says:

Its about choices and personal control. Except for their sex and drug life, Dems are against choices on almost all issues. From light bulbs to schools to employer/employee contracts and negotiations to healthcare, Dems “know” what is best for us and want to control it all!

41. asariah says:

Comp time is way over-rated and was rarely offered as an either/or deal. It was generally just another way to prevent paying overtime. I don’t know how many times I heard, “I can only offer Comp time for this…” only to never get the requisite compensated hours when it came time to “attempt” to use it. In general, salaried employees, i.e. for the most part white collar employees, were the only folks that got much out of Comp time because they would not get paid overtime. For everyone else it was an attempt to avoid paying overtime to an hourly employee. Unimpressed with this move from the same folks who just expanded replacement of American Workers and have shipped our jobs overseas for decades. Based on my experience with Comp time this is as big a red flag as the recent so-called budget. I backed Trump from the beginning of his campaign and the GOP was given the House, Senate, and POTUS by Working-Class Americans whose wages and benefits have stagnated or decreased for years. We even turned the Rust-Belt Red. They may have serious troubles in the Mid-Terms by emphasizing such things as Comp time (I never received 1/4 of the Comp time I earned! And it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth even today.) while ignoring the people that got them elected.

• Sylvia Avery says:

I’m sorry you had a bad experience with comp time. I don’t blame you for feeling that way. That has been the experience of others, too, I know. But it actually can be hugely beneficial as other people have talked about upthread. However, there will always be employers looking to take advantage of employees and there will always be employees looking to take advantage of employers. Just life. I think it can be a nice option. For many women I worked with the OT pay less taxes was underwhelming, but time off to go to kid’s school functions or doctor’s appointments was like gold.

42. Eric Strickland says:

This bill is about “choice”. I thought Democrats valued “choice” more than anything else.

43. Bendix says:

I’m not sure, but one of the reasons an employer may not like the compensatory time option is that the business model for quite some time now is to have the bare minimum number of staff and then work them to death.
    One of the last private employers in my area where you can still find full time employment, relatively well compensated, without a college degree, has a policy of mandatory overtime for many positions. The mostly male workers who fill those positions do enjoy the larger paycheck, but the downside is, they never, ever get time off. The employer finds it more cost effective, in some cases, to have one employee do the work of two.
    Time off is worth more than money to people with families, too.
    The State of New York allows for comp time in some instances,for its workforce, and it is popular.
    BTW, New York’s governor, a man who never in his life did a lick of real work, is always quick to kick the rank-and-file state worker (as his father before him did), you know, the ones who do the actual WORK of government.

44. JBrickley says:

I support hourly workers banking OT as time and a half PTO as an option to being paid the OT. There needs to be some reasonable balance between employer and employee that is fair. You should not be able to accrue that banked PTO and roll it year after year but you should also be allowed to use the PTO time. Most employers talk about life balance but when it comes down to it, employees are working more hours even unpaid than ever before. I am salaried and have many years with the company and have more accrued PTO can I can possibly use. I became sick and used a lot of the PTO then filed for Short Term Disability which is full pay for six weeks then it goes into Family Medical Leave which is 80% pay until you can return to work. I used the PTO until my scheduled surgery which required a lengthy recovery period where the STD comes into play. My employer and myself paid into the STD/FMLA and most people may never need to use it. But it’s nice to recover from major surgery and not worry about being paid. The STD/FMLA is state funded. Even with all that PTO and STD/FMLA I still have PTO remaining. If I was hourly and was able to bank OT as PTO, there have been no need for the STD/FMLA and the state could eliminate those programs entirely allowing the employee’s to merely use the accrued OT/PTO. Thus simplifying everything and reducing tax burden on millions of state residents and employers and allowing those employers to hire more people to handle the numbers of employees on PTO, etc. Using the market to solve problems is much preferred to tax and spend. Democrats will never understand tax revenue goes up when taxes are reduced a booming economy is antithetical to their Socialist goals where the State is everything and successful business is the enemy. Why there would be no need for the Socialist elite bureaucrats who work less than public school teachers, accomplish very little work and who milk the swamp and the dependent people for an existence!

• JBrickley says:

BING, light bulb! I think I just identified the problem with professional politicians and bureaucrats. They just want to be the elite who vote themselves pay increases, profit from legalized corruption (lobbyists) and voting to benefit their spouses business on government contracts (not getting caught and punished) while doing very little real work and enslaving the population of dependents voting Democrat and screwing the working stiffs! I suspect the Socialist Democrats are jealous of the Communists who wield power and live like royalty while the people starve and depend on the State for everything. Remember the bread lines and even those in Soviet Russia waiting in line for hours to obtain toilet paper while everyone was paid the same from the janitor to the doctors? The State owned the companies. Meanwhile the Communist party officials had fancy homes, cars, food, and extravagance. They obtained all of it on the backs of the Workers who revolted and put them in power only to be screwed over in spectacular ways. It works only until they run out of other peoples money then it implodes every single time. Venezuela is headed to bloody outright revolution, with pitch forks and torches the starving will kill some day soon. Already the corrupt government has outfitted the equivalent to “Brown Shirts” with firearms and they are killing the protesters. All it will take is some angry and intelligent revolutionary leadership to lead the people in open revolt and blood will run in the streets much like the French Revolution. The police and military will switch sides and there will be a reckoning until balance and freedom are restored. With luck it won’t be a new dictatorship.