Vice President Pence Swearing-In Ceremony For Secretary of Labor Alex Acosta…

Earlier today Vice President Mike Pence participated in the final presidential commission ceremony for a cabinet member of the President Trump cabinet, Labor Secretary Alex Acosta.

The Senate finally voted 60-38 yesterday to confirm Alex Acosta to the post. Acosta accepts the presidential commission and becomes the 27th labor secretary. The son of Cuban immigrants will lead a sprawling agency that enforces more than 180 federal laws covering about 10 million employers and 125 million workers.

This entry was posted in Legislation, Mike pence, President Trump, Uncategorized, Union Activity - ALL. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Vice President Pence Swearing-In Ceremony For Secretary of Labor Alex Acosta…

1. Paco Loco says:

Well that was timely. Nearly three months after being nominated.

2. calbear84 says:

Excellent! I believe that leaves only Lighthizer as US Trade Rep.

3. FLEEVY says:

What’s the scoop on this guy? I know CTH was a big fan of Pudzer before he bailed.

4. msmelchizadek says:

I note he spent a year at the NLRB… I hope he is not in the tank for Unions…

5. fleporeblog says:

Our President likes to create an EO for each secretary pick. Imagine for a minute if he decides to create an EO limiting or eliminating illegal aliens ability to work in our country. He could also go after those citizens that employ illegals. That would literally decimate the number of illegals by 80%.

• Paul Killinger says:

I believe this would entail new legislation to make e-verify mandatory, which explains why it’s never happened.

In fact, the Bush Admin used the EEOC to REQUIRE employers not to discriminate in the hiring of illegals.

Maybe we can do better….

• All American Snowflake says:

Yes. It is apparent that illegals are now running our country.

• G. Combs says:

The Law Against Hiring or Harboring Illegal Aliens

The following is an overview of federal law on hiring and harboring illegal aliens. It is not a substitute for professional legal counsel in specific situations.
        Summary

A person (including a group of persons, business, organization or local government) commits a federal felony when he:

assists an alien whom he should reasonably know is illegally in the U.S. or who lacks employment authorization, by transporting, sheltering, or assisting him to obtain employment,
        encourages that alien to remain in the U.S., by referring him to an employer, by acting as employer or agent for an employer in any way, or
        knowingly assists illegal aliens due to personal convictions.

Penalties upon conviction include criminal fines, imprisonment, and forfeiture of vehicles and real property used to commit the crime.

Anyone employing or contracting with an illegal alien without verifying his work authorization status is guilty of a misdemeanor. [This needs to be made a felony. G.C.] Aliens and employers violating immigration laws are subject to arrest, detention, and seizure of their vehicles or property. In addition, individuals or entities who engage in racketeering enterprises that commit (or conspire to commit) immigration-related felonies are subject to private civil suits for treble damages and injunctive relief.

Recruitment and Employment of Illegal Aliens

It is unlawful to hire an alien, to recruit an alien, or to refer an alien for a fee, knowing the alien is unauthorized to work in the United States.1 It is equally unlawful to continue to employ an alien knowing that the alien is unauthorized to work.2 Employers may give preference in recruitment and hiring to a U.S. citizen over an alien with work authorization only where the U.S. citizen is equally or better qualified.3 [This provision needs to be axed! G.C. ]

It is unlawful to hire an individual for employment in the United States without complying with employment eligibility verification requirements. Requirements include examination of identity documents and completion of Form I-9 for every employee hired. Employers must retain all I-9s, and, with 3 days advance notice, they must be made available for inspection. […]

6. NYGuy54 says:

I don’t think Robert Lighthizer – the US Trade Representative – has been voted on by the full Senate yet.

7. Carolina Kat says:

I think this was a very good pick by President Trump. I actually believe Pudzer (who caved too quickly) was right to withdraw because Acosta looks like he has a backbone. (How did he make it into the R party with one?)

There is a vast cultural difference between immigrants from Cuba and Mexico, so I don’t conflate their interests. There is an amazing double standard regarding the two Hispanic groups – Notice how Obama left the Cuban immigrants stranded.

Cubans tend to vote R because of their experience with totalitarians. Mexicans tend to vote D for handouts. One of the reason Obama normalized relations was so they could stop being given refuge here (notice how quickly that rule ended that allowed them to immigrate). I don’t see Acosta as being soft on illegals as his parents came here the right way.

• Nuke Bloom says:

I’m of Mexican descent. I agree with what you said.

In Mexico, the elites steal the money by laundering/under the table. The Mexican citizens are told there is no money to be shared let alone had. All there is left are hand outs. It’s been that way before my mother was born in Parral, Mexico. The Mexican people know they’re being cheated on and have no means to stop it and those who try to buck the system are murdered.

In Cuba you see the bald face atrocities of a dictator. In Mexico, the atrocities are a slow bleed with a smiling so-called “elected” president.

Unfortunately, [illegals] Mexicans take the easy money when the democrats give it to them.

I was born and raised in El Paso, Texas. From a working class family. Never took hanouts or welfare or food stamps. It was a struggle for my parents, but we did without sometimes.

I still have family in Mexico. The wall needs to be built. And the people in Mexico need to take their country back & I know with President Trump, whom I supported when he first announced, can cause a chain reaction of nationalism in that country. I know he will.

8. Running Fast says:

Congress is working hard… not! When trump brings up the local congress people at his Rally tomorrow and thanks them for their hard work I sure hope people start showing their discourse against these creatures. Pres Trump can be nice but we no longer should be. Treat them with the same scorn reserved for CNN and HRC.

9. deplorabledooku says:

I haven’t kept a tally, but has it been the same roughly 38 Dims who have been voting “Nay” on the President’s cabinet nominees? I don’t recall anything like this when Obama blew into town in either his first or second terms.

10. Pam says:

11. Freedom5 says:

He needs to dispose of the DOL fiduciary rule pronto. It’s a disaster. It’s not in the best interest of the clients. Whenver they name something like ” a best interest contract” or “the affordable care act” it’s anything but.

12. Fe says:

A ,overly ceremony presided by VP Pence. He has done such a good job with the these swearing in ceremonies. I liked Secretary Acosta immediately. Earnest and sincere. I do have a soft spot for Cubans, I lived in Guantanamo as a navy brat from ages 7 through 10. We didn’t like Castro, but we loved the people on the naval base and enjoyed their culture.

13. Fe says:

The first two words were supposed to say “a lovely” lol

14. The Boss says:

What a difference Acosta is from the loathsome Tom Perez.

15. sammyhains says:

How cool is that to have Yoda attend his swearing in!

16. mw says:

I trust Trump. period. On a personal level it seems odd he is most attentive to his younger daughter, and not so much to his wife. Weird.

17. ectrimm2 says: