Prayers For West Virginia – 23 People Killed In Historic Flood….

Heartbreaking flooding in West Virginia. Sincere thoughts and prayers for anyone in the affected region. If there are any Treepers in need of any assistance at all please send us an email or comment below and we’ll do whatever we can to assist.

WV flood

(CNN) West Virginia rescue crews worked steadily overnight and into the morning to answer emergency calls from residents stranded by fast-moving floodwaters that state officials say have killed at least 23 people.

Heavy rain battered much of the state earlier this week, and floodwaters pouring out of creeks and rivers prompted scores of rescue calls. Utilities were working to restore power for residents and businesses.

The high waters were receding Saturday, but officials, such as those in Kanawha County, are warning people to watch out for “flood debris, downed power lines and downed trees.”

Along with responding to rescue emergencies, Kanawha County Sheriff spokesman Brian Humphreys said deputies were going to pharmacies to get medications for people affected by the flooding.

Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin activated 200 National Guard members to assist in eight counties and has authorization to activate as many as 300 more, if needed.

wv flood 2

Tomblin declared states of emergency in 44 counties Thursday night. Eleven remaining counties, located in the northern and eastern panhandles, were excluded from the emergency declaration. The communities of Elkview, Clendenin and Frame, located in Kanawha County, were particularly hard hit.

He said the flooding is the worst in a century for some parts of the state.

“Together with the National Guard, our first responders, local emergency management officials and firefighters from across the state have been working around the clock, and we are deeply appreciative of their efforts,” Tomblin said in a statement.

Twenty-three deaths have been reported by the West Virginia Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, including 15 in Greenbrier County, and six in Kanawha County.

At least two children were killed in the deluge, including a 4-year-old boy who was washed away by floodwaters in Jackson County, officials said. (read more)

If we have anyone in the area that needs help please reach out.  OR if you are not in the area but have family there, and they need help, let us know ASAP.  We can be a resourceful bunch when needed.  We will do anything possible to help.  West Virginian’s are good people.

In the interim, our sincere thoughts and prayers are extended to this entire region, and the families and friends within West Virginia who have lost a loved one.

God of compassion,
You created a world for us
To know your love and peace
Yet amidst the beauty of creation
We encounter pain and hurt
And forces beyond our control.
At times like this our hearts are shaken and ache with sorrow
At the destruction of our lives, homes and livelihoods.
Hear our prayers for those affected by the floods
And for all those working
To bring relief and fresh hope.

Amen

a-prayer-for-times-like-these

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Prayers For West Virginia – 23 People Killed In Historic Flood….

1. God bless and help them all. Amen.

2. Sundance, we’ll back you up on any efforts to help. Our prayers are with everyone

3. Pam says:

That is such a beautiful prayer Sundance. This is such a heartbreaking situation. I send my prayers and deepest sympathizes to those who have lost loved ones.

4. ripcurl2121 says:

white people are being ignored ans left to die by obama, like bush killed all the blacks in katrina. . oh the outrage…..oh wait

5. Sandy says:

God Bless everyone. West Virginia is the friendliest state. The people are so nice. All your kindness will be coming back to you with help and people caring.

• mtnforge says:

Thanks. My family got through it OK, but lots of our neighbors not so fortunate. I’m sure they would be most grateful for everyones thoughts and prayers.
      Tell you all what, never seen anything like it. No words can convey how hard and how much water came down from the Heavens, in such a short few hours. No photo’s or commentary is adequate to the description of what happened. I’m not sure still how to define the magnitude of the forces of nature I witnessed. Roads turned into raging rivers 4 – 5, to 10 ft deep, whole ridge lines a mile long became cascading white water rapids, 100 foot tall poplar trees rooted up whole, bobbing like popsicle sticks slamming into houses and bridges, houses swept away like leaves. We watched an entire village on both sides of a road disappear under water from bare ground to over the chimney’s in 2 hours. One side was a dry creek, the other from water cascading down off a mountain ridge line. Rivers of gravel with people size or larger boulders pouring down off banks and ridge lines sounding like thunder closing off roads. Water geysers spouting up out of solid ground. All you could do is watch in utter astonishment. A football field at the end of a 7 mile hollow became a 300 yard wide river 10 feet deep in 1 hour, at the end of the playing field the water was raging at such a volume and velocity, where it hit a road embankment it created a wave 10 foot high. There was nothing you could say to people around you, it all left you speechless. Everyone just stood quietly in humble silence mostly just watched, there was nothing you could do in any case. So much rain would at moments fall, you could not hear someone if they where yelling in your ear for the roar of it. And we all thought the Dericho that came through these mountains a few years back could never be equaled. Nothing in my life prepared me for what I witnessed. Then a quick as it came it was gone like a light switch and the sun came out. All I could think was God was washing the world with a vengeance. And you hardly heard a bad word or anyone panic. It was like a stoic resolve swept over everyone like the waters themselves.

• JC says:

Thank you for the report, Mtnforge. It sounds horrific – I’m so sorry. Our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and your neighbors. God bless.

• margarite1 says:

Thank you so much for this description! I can’t even imagine this – I live in Oregon where it rains a lot but not hard, nothing even close to what you went through. Glad you are ok!

• Molly's Pitcher says:

Mtnforge, you said that no commentary is adequate…..After reading of your experience in your post, I would like to say that your commentary is leagues above adequate. IMHO, what you have written is as compelling and descriptive as any great author would write. What makes yours better is that it is fresh from the heart, in your words, with your emotions. You allowed us to see through your eyes and I, for one, am grateful. Be well, and may God send you and those affected around you whatever you need to see you through to the other side of this. We West Virginians are a strong people. With God’s help, we will emerge even stronger.

• lineman says:

You should read him on WRSA…He is a true Patriot and everything he says is solid and makes you look at yourself and say am I doing enough… God Bless You Brother… Prayers are with you…

• starfcker says:

Glad to hear your ok, mtnforge. I’ve got a place near white sulpher springs, that area got hit pretty hard. No answer on any of the neighbors phones. Their homes are in the valley, next to a wide shallow stream, they might have gotten clobbered. I built about fifty feet up, on a little plateau, so hopefully my damage is minimal, doesn’t seem appropriate to worry about it at the moment

• Doug says:

Well thanks to all, that really sweet of everyone. It is our fellow American’s that suffered so much who deserve your blessing, not me, and not just in WV either. It is really great to know others care, I hope it pays forward, because it is looking like we are all gonna need each other before whats coming down the pike at us is over. I think this is the greatest place in all of human history, that we as people got much kindness and care in us than we all may fully realize, because we are family and tribe and village and community, and that is what counts the most, it is what really matters, those running things and enriching themselves at our expense notwithstanding, and that is just it, in spite of them, in spite of trials and tribulations. That storm here in WV, it is analogy and prologue of all of us. We are good people us dirt people, if we pull together we got what it takes to make this great country even better, because of us and our character and good will, regardless of what may come. And something else, Mr. Trump is right, we got what it takes. I hope God bless’s us all, that we find our savings grace.

• margarite1 says:

“because we are family and tribe and village and community,”….and that is what the globalists are apparently trying to destroy through the insane importing of barbarians – many of whom don’t even work – which contradicts the cheap labor reasoning. All I can think is the real objective, beyond access to “global markets” is really to divide us up to the point where we are so fractured that none of us has enough clout to defy them.

I pray that Trump is elected…I really feel that he is our once in a lifetime chance.

• Glorious says:

So sorry. Praying for the situation there…

6. Peg_C says:

Definitely saying prayers for all West Virginians. This is horrific. 😥

7. Mikayla825 says:

Horrible wildfires on one side of the continent and flooding on the other. God help us.

8. auscitizenmom says:

Amen to Sundance’s prayer.

9. Molly's Pitcher says:

Thank you, Sundance, for this most heartfelt and sincere article. I am, fortunately, not in the flood area, but my heart is broken for my fellow West Virginians. What affects one of us affects all of us here. I grew up in a rural area, where a quite inviting creek could turn into a danger to life in the blink of an eye. Jackson County is just minutes south of me on I-77. I have family in Kanawha county, who, by the grace of God are ok. Like all of you, I am praying for the survivors and grieve for the families that have lost loved ones. Especially the little ones. I cannot even imagine the depth of their pain. Thank you, fellow treepers, your continued prayers. May God’s blessings be with us all.

10. maxx power says:

Uh, this just seemed appropriate for here. God bless West, by God, Virginia.

11. Trucks are leaving the Grant and Hardy County area loaded with necessities for these folks. Contacting your local county Sheriffs office should provide dropoff point info for food etc. anywhere in WV.

12. maiingankwe says:

Man, this just tears you up inside to see our fellow Americans in so much pain.

13. gevoy says:

This reminds me of the devastating flood of 1955. My family’s home was completely washed away. My older brothers later found the roof about a mile away lodged in someone’s orchard. Everything was scattered far and wide across the countryside, kind of like everyone else’s.

• Sandra says:

What do you even do after that? You must be stunned when something like that happens. That’s devastating.

I feel most awful for people who were already having some kind of trouble, like an illness or injury, maybe lost a job or lost a loved one … and now this. It’s really heartbreaking. I too will contribute if Treepers need help.

14. justfactsplz says:

It is so comforting to know CTH has our six when these disasters arise. My daughter just moved to West Virginia almost a week ago. She is safe. She has never lived out of the state of Fla. She can’t get over the beauty of W.V. and how friendly the people are.

15. Shevtsova251 says:

This is very sad.
    Donald Trump won 72% in West Virginia, one of his greatest win.
    Which could mean little help from Obama, looking back on his record in this matter.
    I remember fondly May 2016 Rallye in Charleston, and very close to where the flooding occurred. Donald Trump received a white safety hat from the miners, and he put it on at 1:37:45

• I know Shevtsova, I was thinking about the Charleston Rally.

Such a great/lively reception for Trump. Look at the still shot
      above in the video, everyone so happy/lively. Trump promised
      he’d get the miners back in business. Trump put on the miners
      hard hat and I couldn’t stop laughing.

Sundance will figure out a way for us to help, and in the meantime
      our hearts and prayers are with everyone.

• mtnforge says:

Donald looks great in his miners cap! Obama and the rest of his human extinction movement can go pound sand. We dirt people will prevail, it is us dirt people who have ever effected change for good in this world, and it will be us dirt people who will overcome the tyrants and corruption and tyranny again.
      The fat lady ain’t even warming up!

16. 10amendment says:

I live in Richwood, WV. Town is destroyed! I’d leave if I could. Next town to get food is 30-35 minutes away and part of a road by a bridge collapsed today, so next town for groceries is a 50 minute drive. Most like myself don’t drive & I have no relatives even close to WV. , none that can help.

This is the third historic weather event in this town and surrounding area’s in 4 years! But I’ve survived them all, Thank the Lord!

All Power Companies
    Churches outside our area
    National Guard
    Richwood Fire Department & all those from surrounding area’s
    State Farm Insurance
    And the countless volunteers
    God Bless You One And All!
    Prayers for all who lost loved ones and/or all they had! Truly heart-breaking.

• mtnforge says:

You’ll over in Richwood got hit so hard it can’t be described, got sent some phone pic’s looks like world war III happened. I feel so bad for everyone there. Hope you didn’t loose your house. Your family OK? We came over the Gauley about 1:30, water was just about at the old bridge. Those whole tree’s coming down the Cherry and Williams at Curtain Bridge where scary! Can’t imagine what it must have been like in town by the GoMart. I heard it was so much water old Foodland was under water? I live over on Snowhill, folks down in Lesley and Charmco, and Rienelle hard hit too. We went over to the bottom of Russellville just above Lesley to get some friends who lost their house, they where completely underwater below the post office what we could see. Rt20 was blocked off from washouts between Lievassy and Quinwood, we had to backtrack up over the devils backbone, couple spots we didn’t think we would make it was washed out pretty bad.

• wondering999 says:

I’m glad to hear about State Farm Insurance stepping up. I will remember this when recommending insurers to responsible people. My dad always told us that State Farm is reliable.

17. Jay Phillips says:

My father-in-law and his wife lost everything. They had to sleep in their car overnight because they couldn’t get out of the flood area. They have not been able to get back home to see what if anything is left. The last pictures they took their home was under water. It may have washed away by now. All of the family here in GA will be going up to WV to help them clean up and rebuild if necessary. Thankfully they are ok, just heart broken.

18. JeremyR says:

When you look at the devastation a little water can cause, remember this, one cubic meter of water weighs one metric ton! 2,200 lbs. Now consider that a stream three feet deep flowing at 10 feet a second applies that ton of force to a human body in the water every second. How long can you with stand that? Now consider your vehicle, if it is a standard size, that means roughly 20 metric tons of force are pushing against it because the water force requires counter force to divert. Think about that when you are tempted to enter flowing flood waters.

19. HoneyB says:

Lots of prayers going out to the flood victims. Having had my home under 6′ of water during Katrina, I know the aftermath/cleanup is going to be the hardest. Once the water recedes and the temps heat up the extent of the damage is unbelievable. Until I experienced it myself, I had always thought flood waters were just water – now I know that the water carries every type of imaginable filth and when the water recedes, it leaves slimey, stinking mud that covers everything.. (to this day I can’t stand the smell of mud) Everything made of paper has turned to mush, cabinet doors will swell shut, and you won’t be able to get anything out of them. Anything metal will begin to rust. Anything electronic is ruined. Refrigerators that have floated into the living room are full of stinking, rotting food. Furniture from your home is now in your neighbors yard 3 houses down. And that is just for homes that are still there. I can’t even imagine how horrific it is for those who have lost a loved one, or their entire home. Folks affected by this flood will need lots of help and our prayers to get through the cleanup and recovery.

20. grandmomfortrump says:

We lost our family home in 1962 in the Ash Wednesday storm in New Jersey. I was in high school at the time. After reading the comments about this WV storm and Katrina, I guess the good thing was that the house burned to the ground (actually to the water level) (electrical fire) and we didn’t have to come back to mud. Can’t imagine having to dispose of everything that was in that huge house. We did pick some things out of the water that was in the basement – a molten glass piggy bank with coins embedded in the glass, a safe with insurance papers in it, and a wet photo album charred around the edges. We were alive and that’s all that really mattered. People were great after the storm and fire. We had the offer of a home to live in rent free, a local grocer gave us free food for weeks, and my mother’s friends gave her a housewarming “shower” when we finally had a permanent home.

21. stringy theory says:

Take me home, country roads. WV is a great state full of great people. So sad they had to suffer this terrible tragedy. May God shed his mercy on all of them and give them his aid. Adding my prayers to all the rest.

22. Backspin says:

Prayers sent. Lets all push this on every media PLATFORM . # WV Relief , ( ? Ideas ? )

I Hope to see Holly-wood , and the bi – coastal wealthy crowd , STEP – UP here , like Katrina , like Haiti , ( without the money theft ) , Even SuperStorm Sandy got some help from many unlikely sources. ( Sandy was Bad , church groups came up from the Carolinas to help , bless them . )

How about a West Virginia Flood Aid Concert. ? ( Concerts are good , but often as soon as they are over people forget quickly. Lets work on that )

23. Backspin says:

Area News outlets , many have donation needs and drop-off locations listed. FEMA is on the way , but I am sure it will take many days to get rolling , and even then as with Sandy …. it will be slow going. >>>> http://www.volunteerwv.org/2/index.cfm
    WCHS – Charleston – http://wchstv.com/
    WSAZ – WV , Oh , Ky. http://www.wsaz.com/
    Register Herald Newspaper , http://www.register-herald.com/

24. Meghan Capps says:

This was a very sad time for West Virginia. I was working at one of the local hospitals over the summer and got stuck there for three days due to the flooding and the sheer volume of people coming in. People have really come together though since then. One of the reasons I love West Virginia.