Inside Political Baseball – Visible Signs of Cruz Campaign Strain…

At first glance this picture from Fox13 promoting the Senator Ted Cruz campaign speech in Provo, Utah, might seem innocuous, but it’s not.  Along with the campaign promotional swag being handed out to the rallying supporters, those with a keen insight into how modern 2016 presidential campaigns operate will identify something most observers miss.

provo cruz

Look closely at the campaign signage.  Notice the absence of the “TrusTED” etc. backdrop and campaign graphic material; instead being replaced by “Keep The Promise” graphics in the backdrop and “Choose Cruz” handout placards.

What you’re seeing there is a (Provo, Utah) campaign event financed exclusively by the Super-PAC Keep the Promise (KtP), and not the Ted Cruz for President campaign.

Simply put, this is the first identifier of an official campaign that is quickly running out of money (burn rate, exceeding receipts), and needs to rely on Super-PAC big donor, corporate sponsorship, to keep itself afloat.

[This also explains the recruitment of the Jeb Bush financial team, and Romney’s Wall Street approvals]

The grassroots donors, the ordinary citizen, are no longer providing enough financial support strong enough to finance the candidates’ ongoing extended campaign need.  Remember when we discussed “Proselytizing as an electoral strategy“?  This was one of the underlying issues when focusing exclusively on a very narrow segment of the electorate.

The official Cruz campaign has already run afoul of the FEC rules on campaign contributions because they have a small donor pool which is giving excess contributions beyond the maximum $2,400 allowable.  They have been warned to return the funds or be in violation of Federal Election Commission campaign finance rules – SEE HERE

You might remember Carly Fiorina ran her entire campaign almost exclusively on “CfA” (Carly for America) financial structures similar to this Cruz “KtP” (Keep the Promise) event.

carly fiorina 3Fiorina had almost no donor money, grassroots money, individual campaign donations, that made her campaign viable.

She had to rely almost exclusively on Super-PAC funding which is essentially unlimited but also carries strict rules on how the candidate, and/or their campaign, may communicate/coordinate with the spending.

A few Wall Street billionaires can keep a Super-PAC funded, and supplant the missing contributions of the ordinary campaign.  Unfortunately, this is one of the new realities in the era post “Citizens United” SCOTUS decision.    However, a few BIG DONORS doesn’t add up to the millions of supporters needed to win an election.

The evidence of the Super-PAC now stepping in to fund the campaign events doesn’t mean the campaign has completely run out of money.  However, it does indicate the campaign is burning through the ordinary campaign funds at a higher rate than the campaign receipts.

When combined with the growing visibility of diminishing polled support, and the campaign turning toward states that are far less ideologically favorable to the candidate – and when you add in the fact that Utah is one of the more favorable states for Cruz, you begin to see a picture of a campaign entering the final key stretches and being spread entirely too thin.

The Cruz campaign is a financial behemoth consisting of thousands of paid campaign workers and long-term financial obligations.  There are many campaign financial obligations that are unlawful for a Super-PAC to finance or underwrite.

In addition, the coordination rules on S-PAC financial assistance present a tenuous risk when a campaign begins to rely upon them to set up campaign events.

ted cruz logo

cruz lies 2

cruz donors 2

This entry was posted in Election 2016, Ted Cruz, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

255 Responses to Inside Political Baseball – Visible Signs of Cruz Campaign Strain…

1. HarleyQuinn says:

Last Saturday I went to the Cruz rally in St. Louis, to try to talk to Cruz supporters. I was also at the TRUMP rally-on Friday. think there were about 2500 people there. The Cruz rally was so low budget. It was all run by volunteers. They passed out Cruz stickers to wear i(nstead of passing out signs). Yes, I actually wore one to blend in. Although I almost blew my cover when A Harley Fiorina was introduced. It was in a high school gym instead of the beautiful Peabody Opera House. Cruz only had 2 protestors. Cruz is definitely an underachiever. It is hard to imagine a campaign running on less money.

Many of the people were women in long skirts with their hair in buns or braids. The ultra conservative type. Many executives from BOTT Radio (Christian talk radio station) endorsed Cruz. The same radio station has been pushing Cruz- telling listeners Cruz is the only candidate with Biblical values, and voters are obligated to vote for Biblical values. I talked with people after the rally. They had been so indoctrinated by these radio personalities (and their pastors), they could not believe Cruz was anything but a saint.

One person asked me what Donald Trump does to earn his money. I told het he builds hotels, golf courses, resorts, and buildings. She said, “He builds stuff.Are any of his buildings still standing?” I told her “Yes, all over the world.” Talk about low information sheeple! I actually was getting through to one woman, she was really listening, and was beginning to question if Ted could be trusted. Her sister came and pulled her away from me,like I was evil. She snuck back to me and started asking me more questions. Her sister came back and dragged her away for good.

I say all this because Cruz appeals to a very narrow demographic. Even in Missouri, with a lot of sheeple who blindly follow their religious leaders, Trump won! I know the Utah Treepers say there is no chance for Trump in Utah, but I am still holding out.

• tz says:

Possibly, I remember this week Glenn Beck was begging to contribute to the promise PAC.

Promise is a margarine. Not the real thing.

In some ways I feel sorry as they are deceived. And it takes a while to see, but by becoming Cruzbots, they hurt their own cause. My problem with Glenn Beck is more that he bends over backward to make exCruzes but picks apart the most trivial Trump inconsistency.

Trump supporters are more realistic. We know he is human, even vulgar. But we don’t have to pretend. We just expect him to do what he says because he is funding his own campaign.

Cruz supporters have to pretend he is incapable of sin or error. So when something goes wrong, they can’t just say “He made a mistake but will still keep his promise”. His support is strong but brittle. In the back of their mind is “If Mr. Perfect Christian is lying about this, maybe…”.

The strings are dark, but when sunlight shines just the right way you can see one. How many? Who’s pulling them? That we don’t know.

• MeThePeople says:

I swear I just passed a bus full of conservatives on I-95.

No cancel that, they were Pentacostals heading to speech therapy.

• I actually don’t consider Trump vulgar. What DisgusTED did with that snot on his lip was vulgar. Him sending out cards saying “the Body of Christ must unite around me” is disgusting.

What Rubio said about Trump hands and wetting his pants was vulgar.

The few cuss words Trump uses (damn, hell, sh**) used to describe ISIS bombing I don’t consider vulgar. I don’t cuss and I don’t like words about hell and poop, but Trump doesn’t use those words to actually describe bodily functions or bad smells. Only for bombing ISIS. So they may be viewed as harsh but to me not vulgar.

I find Trump quite outspoken but not vulgar. I like outspoken people and feel at home with them more than the quiet phony Mitt Romney creeps.

• 300 The Corn Pone Nazi says:

Profanity serves a purpose in the military. General Patton explained; “When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can’t run an Army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An Army without profanity couldn’t fight it’s way out of a piss-soaked paper bag.”

• Earl Woods says:

Ding ding ding. To me Cruz outted himself when he tried to blame Trump for violent protestors showing up at DJT events. If he was really this constitutional purest he sells himself as he would have been the first to say you can’t try to shut anyone up with violence and threats. But he thought he had an opportunity and just wiped his tuchus with principles to push it. But now he got caught as a liar selling a brand conservatism for his own power until that conservatism is no longer convenient for him.

Meanwhile, I am supporting Trump, a man I am well aware is not anything close to being an ideological purest, has changed positions and vague platforms (on things he doesn’t prioritize, on his issues he has robust position papers), is brash and not the role model I would want to be electing as my church pastor, but it makes absolutely no reason what so ever for him to lie to me about any position he has and believe every word he says about what he’ll try to do if elected,

• TwoLaine says:

Running on fumes. 😉

2. RP says:

Sundance, do you take requests on posts? InfoWars put out one of the best videos I’ve seen that lays out what Trump and his supporters are facing right now.

The Assassination of Donald Trump

3. KBR says:

There is a very ancient belief that many people thinking the same thing can make that thing come to pass. It came forward into religious beliefs too. Later semi-science tried it with “mind over matter.” Superstition has it that if you think a thing or especially say a thing aloud, knock on wood.

I believe that our words are very powerful, and more so than we realize. Jesus tells us that the words we speak/ what comes out of our mouths/ are what fouls our souls. That is powerful stuff.
    And our thoughts are formed into words, i.e.: words are merely thoughts voiced or written.

The power of positive thinking is real.

• margarite1 says:

A thing/act has to be a concept first. Unfortunately the concept of doing harm to Trump is beyond the concept stage.

• As a man thinketh so he becomes

• ThePatriot says:

Human nature:
      Thoughts become words,
      Words become actions,
      Actions become habits,
      Habits become character,
      Our character becomes our DESTINY.

Our Father in Heaven admonishes us to study and keep his Word.

• Excellent post, Patriot. Here is another admonishment concerning “right division” of God’s message:

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

• Big D says:

“Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.”

• mrsblar says:

We are told to take every thought captive, to give God the realm of our thoughts. I struggle with this, even at 66 and a lifelong Christian. When it comes to this election especially. I immediately think negative thoughts when I read about the tactics of the opposition, I fight letting them get the best of me, I pray, even, to reign in the direction they go in, and it works.
      Regardless of the election outcome, there will be a relief in the stress of unknowing. God will have shown us the direction our country is destined for, and I will rest in His wisdom and love. But now, the unknowing and the dangers ahead are a struggle for my poor little brain and mind. It is well with my soul, however.
      And have a blessed Palm Sunday Treepers.

4. Nick says:

Chose Cruz, what a Joke, more like Lose Cruz!! He will never be President. I hope people are smart and get Mr.Trump to the magic number before the convention!

5. the5thranchhand says:

On a deeper level, it is thought in some circles, (and I believe it), that our words reverberate forever in the universe. Mind boggling if you stop to really think about it.

• Big D says:

It’s all about vibrations, the Bible tells you that.
      “And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.”

“The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a cottage; and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again.”
      How does this happen ? By changing the vibration of the Earth.

6. belle says:

Cruz has been bought & paid for. He will forever be a slave of the GOPe.

• tz says:

No, he’s only been leased, backed up by an asset backed security with various derivatives sold by Goldman Sachs on both sides of the trade

• lvdancer says:

Cruz is a sleeper cell activated and deployed to end this nation and bring it into submission to the one world government as predicted in scripture. He isn’t an innocent bystander. Heidi Cruz worked for Condi Rice on the North American Union. He knows exactly what he is doing. He is a Globalist shill.

7. AdamSelene says:

Ted is a mess.

8. craigusc says:

Sundance help!

This either a push poll or Romney is leading a state of zombies off a cliff.

Utah poll:

Cruz: 53
    Kasich: 29
    Trump: 11

On the other hand, just a bit of a push to below 50% for Cruz… Anything below 50%, and all three – Cruz, Kasich and Trump – get delegates. The 15% cutoff doesn’t kick in according to the rules.

9. TwoLaine says:

I noticed the background swag screen before I even read the article. I have also been expecting this to happen any day. It has to be 100x as bad for Kasich because I don’t think he had that much support anyway, and Romney moving to Cruz signaled Kasich’s final death blow. I know R1N0Rub10 was running on fumes regardless of how much they pushed and pushed and pushed him. ALL of them were.

This year people realized you don’t have to PAY FOR LOVE. TRUMP gave them another choice. “I Don’t Want Your Money!”

I recognized long ago that while Citizens United is great for some things, if you are a politician, but all the money in the world can’t buy you LOVE. TRUMP has the LOVE. And he didn’t ask anyone to pay for it. The rest aren’t getting the LOVE in the way of We The People’s donations, and that is their problem. They cannot run a campaign without THAT LOVE.

We Are SO CLOSE!

P.S. Scott Baio just endorsed TRUMP on Judge Jeannine, and he was not the only one. Happy Days! 🙂

• TwoLaine says:

BTW, I think the one thing TRUMP knew going into this, is that he counted on their burn rates being higher than they could handle. It wasn’t something he had to worry about. Like the donor dog and pony shows. He has spent ALL his time on We The People, NOT We The Donors & Special Interests like all the others!

10. ches1 says:

I really don’t understand how the polls are saying that Cruz has a better chance at beating Hillary than Trump does.

Cruz will get no democrats or independents and only those republicans he can get now.

It’s ridiculous.

11. Apfelcobbler says:

Great post.

Lately Cruz uses 80% of his airtime complaining about “Donald Trump”. It’s starting to sound desperate and a little wacky.

Does Carly bobble her head more than she used to? maybe this new demeanor tested in front of a focus group…

12. The Boss says:

Look at Rafael’s body language. He is uncomfortable, and can’t even pretend he’s casual, nonchalant and without a care in the world.

13. jello333 says:

Ah, okay… in the other post where you first showed this pic (in a tweet), I guessed half right. I realized the “TrusTED” has disappeared, but my assumption was that it had something to do with Cruz worrying about Trump’s “Lying Ted” comments. But now that you point out the money, the superPAC issue… yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

• Patriot1 says:

Cruz got rid of the TrusTed sign because he has sold out to the establishment and can’t be TRUSTED. Personally when someone tells me to trust them I don’t.A trustworthy person doesn’t need to tell you to trust them.

14. Christopher Pate says:

Has anyone noticed that Keep the Promise’ logo looks like it is trying to give the impression of the Soviet red star pushing the Stars and Stripes out of the way? It makes one wonder if it is intentional, or just really poor taste and ignorance. It’s like the establishment is somewhat coming out even more than what Trump already forced them to do these last several months. I almost expect these morons to start proudly waving the sickle and hammer, expecting to lead the Neo-Bolshevick movement. What they don’t have is a Lenin or Stalin, but we have a Patton/Washington: Trump, (and his name speaks for itself, and does not require an exclamation point to try to drum up a false sense of excitement that certain low energy, stupid political types actually tried to do. Using Bernays and Alinsky tactics of engineering consent only works on the naive, uneducated, and inexperienced. Good thing that it seems the populace is finally on to them.)

15. John C says:

The maximum this year/ Election cycle that an individual can donate to a Federal candidate is $2,700.00 not $2,400.00. Yes Ted is a phony and is wishy-washy on the Border. Trump will close the border and build a wall, that is more than any one else running will do.

16. ehnyah says:

Ted! and Heidi worked for BushCo, thats were they met, they like to remind everyone, “we were the first Bush marriage!”

Ted Cruz: Closet Pentecostal

While Ted Cruz proudly proclaims he is an Evangelical Christian, his campaign takes pains to hide the truth that Cruz and his pastor father, Rafael Cruz are Pentecostal Christians, a fact further hidden by having Ted and Heidi Cruz’s belong to the congregation of First Baptist Church, a Southern Baptist church in Houston, as their home church.

Who Is The Real Ted Cruz?
    Ted was George W.’s brain when he ran for President. A top policy adviser. Ted maneuvered for Solicitor General in Bush World but settled for a plum at the Federal Trade Commission. Ted’s a Bushman with deep ties to the political and financial establishment.
    Also conveniently missing from Heidi’s Wikipedia bio is her service as Deputy U.S. Trade Representative to USTR head Robert Zoellick. At USTR Heidi worked on U.S.-China trade policy- the one Donald Trump talks about so much.
    Cruz, on the other hand, is the establishments quisling, spawned by the Bushes and controlled by Wall Street, who became a strident “outsider” only four years ago.

17. Dan says:

hmmm, can one accept foreign donations? “Credit Suisse Group is a Switzerland-based multinational financial services holding company, headquartered in Zürich, ” hmmmm?

18. Sundance, love your blog and your in-depth, lucid writing style. A must read for myself and my Twitter followers. Thank you!

Bill Mitchell

19. wyntre says:

Fascinating analysis of Ted’s real bottom line.

20. ss31704 says:

He will keep promosing things untill he runs out of room…then he “conveniently” forgets promises.

21. JAMI says:

Oh, Breitbart….how low will you stoop! I am sure that Andrew is rolling over in his grave. Let’s not throw rocks, baby. It seems that Trump bribed the AG in Florida to the tune of $25K to drop charges against him and endorse his nomination. Then there is the bribe that he gave Carson to endorse him promising a cabinet position.