The Dept. Of Energy’s War Against Common Sense Continues – Dishwasher Edition…

Toilets that don’t flush; washing machines that don’t wash; light bulbs that don’t illuminate; electric cars that don’t drive; exploding windmills; useless solar panels, and now….

Obama amid Solar Panels - Green Energy(Via The Hill) Companies that make dishwashers are warning that the Obama administration’s latest efficiency standards for their industry would backfire.

The Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers is accusing the Department of Energy (DOE) of a politically motivated drive to increase dishwasher efficiency standards, which are so bad that they would cause consumers to re-wash dishes, erasing any efficiency gains.

Rob McAver, the group’s head lobbyist, said regulators are going too far and the new rules will allow only 3.1 gallons to be used to wash each load of dishes.  “At some point, they’re trying to squeeze blood from a stone that just doesn’t have any blood left in it,” McAver said.

Some of the group’s members, which include companies like GE Appliances & Lighting and Whirlpool Corp., tweaked their models to comply with the DOE’s December proposal to ratchet up standards.

They then ran standard tests with food stuck to dishes.

“They found some stuff that was pretty disgusting,” McAver said.

McAver brought DOE officials to his office recently to show them the results and released photos of it publicly this week. (read more)

120224-magic-solar-energy-beans

This entry was posted in Big Stupid Government, Dem Hypocrisy, energy, Environmentalism, media bias, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

100 Responses to The Dept. Of Energy’s War Against Common Sense Continues – Dishwasher Edition…

1. angie says:

This reminds me of the low flush toilets. You have to flush them 3 or 4 times instead of the one flush on themold toilets. Where is the the water savings? So stupid, he’s worried about dishwashers but sells the country down the drain by giving in to Iran’s demands.
    If this was a book, I’d have to stop reading because it is so absurd.

• allhail2 says:

If this was a book, I’d save it until winter and use it in my pot belly stove. Oh crap, I forgot, we’re not supposed to use those anymore. Hey feds, tell you what, just go ahead and tell me now which color FEMA camp I’m slated to go to. I’d like to pre buy my color coordinated hell raising party supplies

2. Daniel says:

Don’t think of it like that. Think of it as “a workout for your immune system” not having clean dishes.

• boutis says:

Sales of paper and Styrofoam plates and cups go way up along with dishpans and kettles for the stove for boiling water for sterilization. Yep, that will save lots of energy. Just like grandma used to do. Or we can start eating directly out of the can with our fingers. Who needs plates and spoons?

• auscitizenmom says:

Since we are going to have to live like muslims in the middle east, I guess we better start remembering to only use our right hands to eat out of the cans.

• chiavarm says:

The real results will be:
      More expensive dishwashers, so people will hold on to their old less efficient dishwasher.
      Dishes will be washed again in another cycle (in the new compliant washer).
      People will hand wash dishes, which I have been told uses More water than a present day dishwasher.

But don’t be fooled. Big corporations publicly moan but in boardrooms they cheer. These regulations, as are all regulations, are to quell the competitors of the big corporations.

3. 1hear2learn says:

Good Lord, is there really nothing left that our government does not have its dirty little hands in?

4. tappin52 says:

I was very happy when my too expensive, four year old front loading clothes washer blew a computer panel and had to be replaced. It was horrible. The clothes were never clean and the washer developed a bad smell if you did not wipe down the door gasket after every load. I told the repairman who looked at it that I would’t be sad if the part to fix the thing was a big ticket item because I would just get a good old top load with an agitator. He laughed and told me to go shopping.

• angie says:

We went through 2 front loaders- yucky smell and on one the drum pulled away from the frame. Trust me, it isn’t because I’m Suzy Homemaker doung tons of laundry. Then I went with a high efficency top loader. The computer panel went out. Called the repairman and as he worked, I told him about my Mom’s washer that had lasted 30+ years. He then told me that Speed Queen made an old fashioned washer with the turn knob that you pull out to make it start ( nothing computerized) plus it has a stainless wash tub. My husband has a thing for stainless anything and that cinched it. That afternoon, we called the local appliance store and it was delivered the next day. The washer cost about the same as replacing the washer’s computer panel. Works beautifully. Now, our computer run dryer is giving us trouble. About one zillion dryer choices and only one cycle kind of works when it feels like it. My husband said the other day that it’s time to call and get a Speed Queen dryer. I’m good with that. 🙂

• georgiafl says:

Speed Queen are reliable and easy to maintain. They are used in many coin laundries.

I bought a Speed Queen washer/dryer set when my 15 year old Maytag Neptune died. Love the SQ washer. With an agitator, the clothes the clothes get clean, but will have more wear and tear. Good part you can stop the machine to soak laundry over night, add water, add detergent, etc. The slow cycles are annoyingly noisy…but I can shut the door of the laundry room, so it’s not a problem.

However, do not like the SQ dryer very much. When I wash old rags (towels used when mopping and scrubbing) the lint system has small capacity and can’t handle the extra lint. Lint is not removed as efficiently from the dryer as with other dryers. My house and laundry room are dustier.

Loved my old Neptune front loader and it was easy on clothes, got my clothes good and clean. Never had a mold problem with the front loader because I wash all my white sheets and towels adding bleach in the wash cycle. The Neptune had a great soap dispenser in the top so I could put a detergent with a spigot on the shelf above and aim the right amount of soap right into the dispenser.

• stella says:

I have old Whirlpool washer and dryer with the “turn knobs”. Both are 15+ years old and still work great. My neighbor bought a pair of the old style washer and dryers at a used appliance store last year, so that’s an alternative to buying new.

• dginga says:

I have a 17 year old Kenmore washer and dryer and the repairman (who we would never see if my stepson didn’t put things in the washer that don’t belong there) said to just keep repairing them because the new “energy efficient” washers and dryers don’t work worth a darn. He said if I do buy new I should get a top loader washer with a full sized agitator, not one of the new ones with virtually no agitator.

My 10 year old Kitchen Aid dishwasher has been a disaster from the beginning. It takes HOURS to do a load of dishes. My parents have an ancient Kenmore that works great and does a load in 45 minutes. I asked the repair guy why that is, and he said the newer dishwasher has sensors that determine when the dishes are clean, uses less water per fill but has to fill over and over and over to get the dishes clean. This in a household where I basically wash the dishes by hand before putting them in the dishwasher.

When we were building our house I told the plumbing supply place that I wanted toilets that would FLUSH. None of this having to flush multiple times to get toilet paper down. They told me to buy Toto toilets. We did, and we LOVE them!

God save us from the EPA and energy efficient appliances.

• michellc says:

People think I’m crazy, but anytime I see an old washer at an auction or garage sale for a little bit of nothing, I buy it and store it in our storage building. I started doing that recently when we couldn’t find a part for our old washer. I have 4 in storage now and the most I paid for any of them was $50.

A friend of mine needed a new furnace and considered at the time of getting a new a/c as well because hers is 25 years old. She said the guy told her he would love to sell her all new equipment as that’s more money for him, but that he was going to be honest with her any brand he sold her today would not last 25 years. They would have a higher seer rating and have the new EPA compliant freon but the life span is about 10 years tops and that’s after changing out several parts during that time. She had taped her old receipt to her furnace when she had it installed 25 years ago, the entire system including the furnace and a/c system along with duck work was $2300, a new system just the furnace and a/c system was going to cost her $5000.
          He advised her to continue using her old a/c until it either went out or developed a leak because the old freon, although it’s still available now, won’t be in the future and is really expensive now.
          He didn’t go into detail as to why the new equipment didn’t last but my guess would be government regulations force them to use inferior materials and parts probably come from China or Mexico.

• stella says:

I was forced to replace my furnace last year (flooding), but was able to keep my 15-year-old ac unit, because it is installed on the top of the furnace. Fortunately.

• nimrodman says:

Well, that $5000 is pretty much in line with simple inflation. I plugged in 1990 (25 yrs) and $2300 in this calculator and it returns $4200.

Plus, the calculator uses the official CPI, which underestimates true inflation.

So $5k really isn’t that far out of line. Our dollars are worth less than half what they were 25 years ago.

• michellc says:

Yeah, but 25 years ago her house had never had central heat and air, so they had to install ducts and vents in addition to the equipment. Today it was just removing the old equipment and replacing it. So you could probably almost double that $5000 if they had to install ducts and vents.

• boutis says:

We have an washer that you can choose the water level. We always choose HIGH or it won’t rinse the detergent out. I guess it will be dragged out of the house by the EPA for crimes against nature. We could go down to the creek and beat the clothes on rocks but that would be pollution. So just be dirty and stinky I guess.

• dizzymissl says:

I got the top load Samsung. It doesn’t have the agitator, but it does not get the smell like my front loader did.

To get my clothes really clean, I select the Heavy Soil option which adds time to the cycle or use the Bright Whites option which runs for an hour and a half. I love the Bright Whites option:)

5. Millwright says:

Well, why not mandate these new ‘hyper-eqfficient’ dishwashers be installed in the White House – along with monitors – to ensure the “first family’s’ dishes meet the same cleanliness standards our president is demanding for the rest of us ? Like so many of these “greenweenies’s” pogroms their senseless demands exceed the limits of technology, science or even common sense.! Anyone recall the the 70’s disaster of “low-emission vehicles” ? Lots of bric-a-brac got bored onto formerly somewhat efficient engines resulting in catastrophic impacts on fuel mileage, and drivability . Most were promptly removed by owners. What went ‘unexplained’ was how burning more fuel was “cleaner” than burning less ! Also “unexplained” was a government-funded covert “black program” to develop the catalytic converter. essential to meeting the greenies’ demanded standards,

FF to the late 80’s and we get the same crap inflicted upon OTR trucking. Almost without any lead time new “clean air standards” were inflicted on millions of truck owners that not only increased fuel consumption, but reduced drivability, and engine/accessory life cycles. Current standards have drastically increased not only owners initial costs, but operating and freakier costs as new problems like “”stiction” now require addition fuel additives over and above such things like DEF. And now even the champion of ethanol – Al Gore – has publicly admitted it wasn’t a good idea. So spare me any more “environmental laws” please. Or at the very least make any new proposals undergo a public peer-reviewed “cleanliness review” including cost-benefit and economic and environmental impact analysis criteria.

• rsmith1776 says:

“Like so many of these “greenweenies’s” pogroms’

That’s likely “programs” but it is nevertheless a meaningful typo. With the half-Kenyan wan*ker in the White House pogroms can’t be far behind.

6. bertdilbert says:

Maybe e bay can come to the rescue by supplying larger water jets and computer chips to make the dishwasher work? I mean, who is going to smog check your dishwasher once it is installed?

• Justice_099 says:

Don’t count your chickens just yet. The drive is on to connect everything in your house to the internet.

It wasn’t that long ago that the power companies in California were working on powerline communications systems which would send data back from things like air conditioners to inform them how much energy you were using and allow them to turn down/off your air conditioners during peak usages.

• wondering999 says:

A long time ago I read that there are agencies monitoring power usage, because this was one way to track down illegal marijuana growers who had grow-lights going all the time in their basements. (Yes, we have apparently been paying people to do this job…the War on Drugs has been expensive in a lot of areas, and if we stop the war on drugs, don’t those people need to keep their jobs?)

Yesterday, July 21, caught a snippet of some news program that showed a new automobile (Jeep?) being hacked and run off the road by two guys with a computer working remotely. Since this apparently was done to a journalist in Los Angeles a few years back, and we have had some disappearing airplanes… maybe it makes sense to only use the old-fashioned stuff. Love estate sales, it’s a fun way to shop

7. PatriotUSA says:

I can personally attest to the worse performance in dishwashers. I had to replace a 14 yr. old Kitchenaid and spent several weeks researching the new ones. I could not afford a new Kitcheaid or similar model. After talking to the local service techs I purchased a Kenmore with stainless steel interior and decent not too many stupid features that I would never use. It does a decent job but it is not nearly as good at the old Kitchenaid. The run time is twice as long and it does not dry nearly as well. It is extremely quiet and is overall OK. I know so many people who have paid way too much for DW’s and they are terrible machines. I only buy USA made appliances, period.

I also had to replace my washing machine which was a front loader, Maytag Neptune that was 11 yrs. old. Not worth repairing, sick of the mold issues, long run times, mediocre cleaning and again after a lot of research and talking to service techs, I opted for a Speed Queen top loader. This machine has been superb so far and yeah it is old school agitator, uses a bit more water and gets clothes much cleaner. It flogs the clothes and a huge difference. Went with analog spin controls so I CAN CONTROL the water level and this unit runs a load in 28 minutes. The Speed Queen was expensive but worth it. 5 year warranty. Speed Queen only makes washers and dryers and I highly recommend them. This is second one I have owned. They are made in Wisconsin, 98% of the parts are USA made. I could care less about a bit more water usage. SQ does make front loaders but they are quite expensive but if I wanted a front loader, I would not hesitate to go with a SQ. These are no frill machines that kick butt.

These terrible regulations ensure only the damn hippies, environazis, and ass hat stoopid people like Obama and the nasty douche that heads the EPA, Gina McCarthy are happy. Maybe because they do not care about cleaner clothes and dishes and only costing us more money. The best thing about my SQ washer is that it upset my family members and the few libturd friends I have left because it is not a high Efficiency rated washer. I actually lost a ‘friend’ over this, too funny. It was really funny when their top of the line washer from Europe blew out a board. Took 8 weeks to get the part and then some seals went tits up. The store replaced the washer for them and had the same board go out after three months.

I hate the EPA, DOE, and this administration with a passion and this goes back to the days of the Spotted Owl and how the gov’t and environazis severely crippled the timber industry. They have to wreck everything, down to the simplest of things we use in our daily lives.

• bertdilbert says:

Yeah but look at it this way. If the government can screw you with energy efficient appliances, then electrical consumption will be down. With the consumption down, renewables hold a larger market share of electrical production. Obama now has a better green stat to leave office with over the % of electrical generation done by wind, solar etc.

• czarowniczy says:

I think that had he harnessed the methane and hot air generated by his Administration we’d be far closer to energy self-sufficiency today. Sarc out.
        Back to my ‘law of unintended consequences’ the Feds do not understand. With the Federal and state tax credits for installing solar panels so many have installed them that a number in energy utilities in some states are losing so much revenue that they are not generating enough to maintain equipment, facilities, personnel and pay investors dividends. This lowers their abilities to attract new investment, delays some scheduled maintenance and upgrades and forces them to go to the agencies controlling rates and ask for a hike. Many agencies are not too happy to do that and while they will raise rates a bit they generally won’t raise them enough to make up for lost revenues. This not only effects the utilities but all of those in the supply chain under them that they rely on for everything from soup to nuts.
        Government’s solution to this in a number of states is to legislate a way to charge the owners of solar panels for the electricity they don’t use but generate through their tax-rebated panels. The fee is then passed on to the utility companies to make up for the electricity that people are not using. Now that’s a well-oiled government in action.

• bertdilbert says:

What actually happens when the power company is not making money is they defer maintenance on what they think they can get away with and then boom the plant has an unscheduled outage. Putting band aids on where they need real fixes. Nobody is served when the money is dribbled out to the power company.

• czarowniczy says:

Sure they put the PM off, just like a family would with its various home systems when times are hard, BUT the Feds didn’t think about the downstream effects of their solar subsidies when the enacted them. main problem is that few Federal shot-callers have any experience in the real business world – that’s what I was getting a the long way ’round. They created more problems with a poorly thought-out, popular and knee-jerk reaction without solving the original problem. Talk about job security/.

• bertdilbert says:

If you are making and selling electricity from your home, the IRS should have a form for that…

• czarowniczy says:

I’d be happier if all of the electric companies had ways to actually buy and use that extra electricity one generates. More than a few companies have no way to accept/store the extra power that a home/business owner makes – ain’t that another good example of the government not thinking a ‘solution’ thru?

• PatriotUSA says:

Exactly. Sorta of like the IT people who work for many states and the feds. I worked for a certain state for three years and every time we got updates or a ‘new’ program, the entire system would go down, sometimes for a couple of days. Job security is right. We would cringe each time updates came out. Almost set your clocks by the system going down afterwards.

• czarowniczy says:

Fed agency I know of just stored the mainframe updates in a locker until teh system started to bog way down. They called the IBM experts in who asked ‘where are teh updates?’. Staff looked around and – viola – there they were in the locker. System was brought down every 3-day weekend for over a year so the updates could be loaded, run against the ‘programmers’ apps, and then the data reloaded. Again, my only thought is that the various levels of government keep these clowns from infecting productive business. sort of a ‘fool sink’.

• Monroe says:

The Dallas VA installed a roof top full of solar panels. That’s all. They were installed. The solar panels have never been operational and there are no plans to make them operational.

• czarowniczy says:

That’s the Feds – specs probably called for ‘installation’ and there were no concomitant plans to hookup and use the power. That would have been a separate contract. Then again, it sounds like the way the VA treats its vet charges – half-assed.

• dginga says:

My neighbor bought really a expensive washer / dryer set with all of the computerized junk and replaced it three times in the first year. Finally she went to Sears and bought Kenmore and they have lasted 10 years so far.

Another neighbor put in an expensive “gourmet” kitchen. Her Dakor stove broke after five years. Dacor had stopped making that model, and had no parts for it either. It took four MONTHS for them to custom make the part that was needed. Four months unable to use her stove.

• michellc says:

I do a lot of cooking and canning, so I have an upright stove/oven and then I have a counter top gas stove and wall oven. The counter top stove still had pilot lights and they had started to leak gas, so we went to buy a new stovetop. I was looking around at all these dream kitchens they had set up and many of them were so impractical, pretty but not really efficient. One of them they had set up had all these pots and pans hung on this board on the wall and if you bought the kitchen you got all the dishes free.
        The pots and pans were pretty and shiny but so thin I doubt you could cook anything in them. When the salesman saw me looking at them he told me if I bought any appliance today I could get 25% off the cookware. I told him I wouldn’t want it if they gave it to me, for one it wouldn’t be so pretty after cooking it in awhile and for two I don’t think you could cook anything in it.
        He laughed and told me people don’t want it for cooking but for decoration. I told him I guess people don’t want kitchens for cooking either looking at these dream kitchens. He said I was sort of correct that at least half of their customers want pretty expensive kitchens for the way they look and they never cook in them, that most people don’t cook anymore that’s why they have a microwave.
        I finally went to Lowes to find just a plain old stovetop with nothing fancy, just something I could cook on.

• michellc says:

Our vehicles, our toilets, light bulbs, gas, washers, a/c, dishwashers, all the critters that need saving and now our wood stoves, nothing is safe from them.

I laughed a few months ago at an old farmer friend, his old ford truck is a 1976 that he bought brand new. The past few years it started breaking down on him, minor things like water pumps, alternators, etc. His kids kept after him to buy a new truck and finally convinced him. So he went to buy a new truck, but he still wasn’t convinced and kept coming up with excuses to not sign the papers, finally the salesman agreed to give him 72 hours and put it in writing, they wouldn’t do anything with his truck and if he hated the new truck then he could bring it back within 72 hours and they’d give him his old truck back and they’d take back the new truck. He took it back in less than 48 hours after he hooked his trailer to it and tried to get up a small hill going into his cattle pasture.
      He hated the idea of computers controlling everything, he hated how uncomfortable it was, but the deal breaker was when it struggled to pull the trailer up a small hill. I told him they’re made to be energy efficient and more for looks these days then actually being work/farm trucks.
      So now he says he will go to his grave still driving his old 76 ford even if he has to bailing wire it together.

8. texan59 says:

We ain’t seen nothin’ yet. 👿

9. texan59 says:

Can’t wait until the gubmint sees this. 🙄

10. kadar2012 says:

Just don’t touch with my coffee maker.

• tappin52 says:

I still have an old stainless steel Pyrex on top of the stove percolator. And I still remember how to make coffee in it! Man, I’m old.

• michellc says:

I make a lot of sweet iced tea so for Christmas a few years back one of my kids got me an electric tea maker. It sounded complicated and looked like a lot of different parts to have to wash, so it’s still in the box in the broom closet. I still make my tea the old fashioned way either by boiling it in a pot and then pouring it into the pitcher with added water or letting the sun make my tea.

I don’t drink coffee and my husband only drinks it on occasion but when he does he prefers it cooked on the stove in an old percolator.

I guess we’re dinosaurs.

• stella says:

I have a drip coffee maker, but when it’s just for me I boil the water, and use a plastic filter-lined thing that sits on top of my thermal mug, and pour the water through it. Works just fine. I also make iced tea the old-fashioned way (don’t use sugar, though).

• michellc says:

I’ve never been able to stomach the taste of tea without sugar.
            In the summer I go through tons of sugar, but it’s not just because of my tea and lemonade, the hummingbirds go through sugar water faster than I can boil it. I go through a gallon of sugar water every 2 days. I mix mine 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of water, so 4 cups of sugar every 2 days for the gluttons.

• rashamon says:

You’re from Oklahoma?

11. RVAguy says:

According to Energystar.gov’s find and compare products search, only 2 products on the market fulfill the 203 kW and 3.1 gallon usage limits, the Bosch SHE9ER5UC and the Bosch SHV9ER5UC.

• georgiafl says:

My daughter bought a Bosch DW and loves it. She wanted a KitchenAid, but had to buy it because this was the only one that has an under-pan that catches leaks and her kitchen floors are wood. This DW has a flat tray at the top that holds knives, etc. and a second layer for cups, bowls and glasses, then the bottom for dishes, pots/pans. I tried it when I babysat the darling granddaughter for a couple of days. Gets the gunk off the rice pot no problem.

My 10yo KitchenAid has to have the dishes rinsed and food removed to do a good job. I use Energy Saver Dry to save money and protect my plastics.

12. georgiafl says:

Energy and water savings have a nasty side:
    – mining materials for solar panel and fluorescent light production have sickened whole Chinese villages with cancers.
    – wind turbines kill birds.
    – solar panels kill birds, are high maintenance, have costly repairs.
    – low flush toilets do not make for a healthy functional sewer system. Los Angeles had expensive repairs/maintenance after low water toilets were mandated because sewer systems were clogged.

Side note:
    Here is a very low cost lighting system invented by Alfred Moser that has been used in underdeveloped countries largely without electricity:
    “Following the Moser method, MyShelter started making the lamps in June 2011. They now train people to create and install the bottles, in order to earn a small income.
    In the Philippines, where a quarter of the population lives below the poverty line, and electricity is unusually expensive, the idea has really taken off, with Moser lamps now fitted in 140,000 homes.
    The idea has also caught on in about 15 other countries, from India and Bangladesh, to Tanzania, Argentina and Fiji.

Alfredo Moser has changed the lives of a tremendous number of people, I think forever,” he says.
    “Whether or not he gets the Nobel Prize, we want him to know that there are a great number of people who admire what he is doing.” – http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-23536914

• boutis says:

The low flow toilets have gunked up the entire sewer system of San Francisco and its ancient pipes. The entire underground system of the city is full of you know what. We have hung on to our 30 year old Kohler toilets and if we ever move they are coming with us. They are huge. When we built the house we made jokes about the kids falling in and needing to swim.

• Cyber says:

We remodeled both our bathrooms over the last five years. The first thing I told the contractor was the American Standard toilets circa 1997 are staying. Just had them put on new seats/innards. The contractor said he would have recommended that to me had I not specified it.

• michellc says:

One of the toilets in our shop the tank somehow got cracked and we couldn’t find another tank. A church out in our neck of the woods was gutting the pastor’s house to totally remodel it. I was driving by and saw an old ugly green toilet sitting in the yard and stopped and asked them if they would sell it. He laughed and asked what I wanted with that old thing, it was ancient. I explained to him I needed a new toilet and it was going in our shop where I could care less what color it was as long as it flushed.
          He told me I could have it as they were just going to haul it off. The old green toilet isn’t pretty to look at but it flushes with one flush.

13. Sal Paradise says:

What’s next? Squirt gun regulations? Unreal…..

14. doodahdaze says:

There will be a great market for pre-obama refurbished appliances. The new over regulated made in China junk ain’t workin.

15. bobNoxious says:

Don’t forget air conditioners that don’t cool. The O Administration standards have forced companies to make condenser coils so thin that they leak or totally wear out after only a few years usually just long enough to make it out of warranty- and the cost to replace them is insanely high as is the cost of refrigerant nowadays, also b/c of absurd O standards.

• Monroe says:

In GA the ac capacitors blow about every other year and need to be replaced. Never had AC problems growing up in a FL, so I asked why I have so many ac repairs now. The reason is the EPA said a material in the old capacitor was dangerous and the new ones have less of that material. Once again, no one thinks about how they get replaced more frequently and thus results in more dangerous material in the environment and not less.

16. Sandra says:

This so reminds me of the low-flow shower heads. I encounter them when I travel, and my showers are, literally, twice as long. I don’t want to spend 20 minutes in a shower but I need to rinse the shampoo and conditioner out of my long hair and I need to rinse the soap suds off of my body. In some cases my showers have been even longer because of the pathetic dribble. I have zero doubt that I am actually using MORE water with these low-flow heads.

17. Dr. Bogus Pachysandra says:

Low Flow Toilets! My toilet has a full-sized tank, but the water level line is set much lower. I went to Lowe’s and bought a fill tube/flapper valve for a “French Country Style” commode, which has a narrower and taller tank. I can now set the Fluidmaster to fill the tank one inch from the top. Flushes great now!

18. Gee, I just miss the good old days when a car body was thick enough to not get dented every time something bumps it.

19. keebler AC says:

This busy-body, know-nothing, vacuous-thinking, government interference is EXACTLY why American made products rank right down there with third-world countries. Free trade as it stands, built on ignorance of this and the cheating by foreign governments, has brought America down to the level of third-world countries.

• joanfoster says:

Now if we can only get Trump to speak out against multiple flushes, we would be cooking on the front burner for sure. Imagine the fantastic political one liners he could come up with on faulty light bulbs, low flow toilets, and inefficient dishwashers.

20. Nanny G says:

Because I used to have a family member with an immune disease issue, we HAD to have dished sanitized by a HOT drying cycle in a dishwasher.
    The big problem with modern dishwashers is the plastic latch on their doors.
    How many of them have broken over the years causing the need for a new door or new machine?
    So, I did some research and found New Zealand’s Fisher & Patkel machines.
    They have drawers…..no latch to ever break.
    And they clean like a dream.
    And, because you can fill just the top OR the bottom OR both, they actually save water.
    They clean like a dream, too.

21. czarowniczy says:

Long, languorous sigh of insouciance: Siiiiiiiggggghhhhh…followed by: “See, if you only wash the dishes by hand BEFORE you put them in the new dishwasher they won’t have to be run through twice! Told you I worked for the Feds…
    If you’ve bought a new clothes washing machine in the last few years you’ll see that the dishwasher standards were in place with clothes for a while now. You get a dribble of water that barely fills the tub, incompletely cleans the clothes, and requires you to run a hose or bucket of water from the sink to fill the tub enough for a quality wash. That and having to rinse two or three times to get the residual crap out of the clothes – or, as a helpful home economist said: “Well just wash the big load in two or three smaller loads!” She didn’t add ‘dummy’ but I felt it in the air.
    This is what happens when you have a government with ideologue bureaucrats who have near zero ability to think their so-called ‘solutions’ through. Their charter is to come up with a ‘solution’ to a stated problem that may not even be a problem – note that their charter does not include having to deliver a VIABLE solution. Many are not even conversant in the fields they stomp around in, they’ve been promoted from other areas as they ‘deserve’ or are ‘entitled’ to a promo and will be trained at some date to an acceptable standard – a Federal acceptable standard.
    I’m sure that many of these little Federal Experts see themselves as saving water from total and complete destruction, as if that extra ½-gallon in the dishwasher would be lost to mankind forever were it not rescued by the DoE’s cadre of Anointed. We’ve had the Feds tell us way out in the sticks about how to ‘not waste water’. When you mention to the city slickers that you draw from an underground aquifer, the water runs through you and your house’s system and then gets sprinkled back down into the ground where it eventually works its way back to the aquifer you’re accused of being argumentative and not helpful to those working to solve the problem. You have some ‘history of interpretive dance’ grad working of his/her college loans by following a Federal checklist and telling you how drip irrigation versus flood irrigation would save water (forgetting the cost of the drip irrigation system for some ten acres of orchard).
    It’s inevitable these things will go on as long as the bureaucrats and their media minions convince the bored urban/suburbanites that they’re actually ‘doing something positive’ when the jump through silly hoops. It also possibly helps soothe the anguish that will be felt by the target audience when they’re told their deaths will be necessary, in one form or another, to save Gaia from the human virus that infects her.

• Concerned says:

Unless they implement mechanisms to prevent everyone from defeating the desired goal, the regulations are absurd. Flush the toilet twice or three times, take a shower which is two or three times longer than usual, run more water into the washer or washer a greater number of smaller loads. That phrase “can’t see the forest for the trees” comes to mind. Or perhaps “penny wise, pound foolish”. Or simply “myopic”.

22. Concerned says:

It seems so disingenuous for Obama and others to create these restrictions. He and his Congress and high ranking staff cronies probably like in big wasteful homes with multiple bathrooms, possibly multiple kitchens too, law sprinkler systems, pools, fountains, etc. If they really want to get serious about wasting water they should just meter everyone’s use and have progressive pricing. Punish the people who are wasteful, not the middle class citizen who is not wasteful.

23. Our dishwasher is such a disaster that I just wash everything by hand (just like Mom taught me 50+ years ago) and use the DW as an under-the-counter “drying rack”. And, no, “Madge” doesn’t come over and soak her nails in my detergent.

24. Les says:

“It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen. Winston Smith, his chin nuzzled into his breast in an effort to escape the vile wind, slipped quickly through the glass doors of Victory Mansions, though not quickly enough to prevent a swirl of gritty dust from entering along with him.

The hallway smelt of boiled cabbage and old rag mats. At one end of it a coloured poster, too large for indoor display, had been tacked to the wall. It depicted simply an enormous face, more than a metre wide: the face of a man of about forty-five, with a heavy black moustache and ruggedly handsome features.

Winston made for the stairs. It was no use trying the lift. Even at the best of times it was seldom working, and at present the electric current was cut off during daylight hours. It was part of the economy drive in preparation for Hate Week.” ~ George Orwell

If you haven’t read it this decade, it’s time: http://www.george-orwell.org/1984/0.html

25. Allen says:

Starting this year, Whirlpool CEO says they will build all their appliances containing an RF chip so the gov’t can turn them on/off at will. Think those smart meters are being installed to preclude meter readers from having to invade your neighborhoods? Wrong! New building codes will require those RF appliances, smart meters and they all tie into the smart grid under absolute gov’t control. Google, IBM and Microsoft already have their bids in for their programming. Guess who owns major stock in those companies? Yep, Mr. Am Gore. All this will certainly escalate after Obama signs the TPP and the Energy treaty the UN has tried to force on the US for a couple of decades. This will probably be the last year of American sovereignty, folks. Get your iPhone and camcorders charged and ready to record the mayhem and anarchy just after Christmas. It’s going to be biblical.

26. PatriotUSA says:

They tried to install a smart meter on my house twice and I told them to fook off. I also have older A/C, central refrigeration that really works. Actually uses just a bit more electricity but quite minimal when compared to staying COOL and i like to be COOL. I also use antique and vintage electric fans all over the house and have ceiling fans. I restore, sell and service these old fans and they are vastly superior to the throw away, plastic crap fans made today. I have a 1916 Emerson transitional oscillator that looks and runs like the day it left the factory in 1916 in St. Louis.

Smart meters and RF technology to monitor these meters and chips are truly evil.

• wondering999 says:

“I restore, sell and service these old fans and they are vastly superior to the throw away, plastic crap fans made today. I have a 1916 Emerson transitional oscillator that looks and runs like the day it left the factory in 1916 in St. Louis.

You have my respect!

And — the repair shops all seem to have gone out of business. Maybe it’s time for appliance repair to re-open? …get the handy teens to work, fixing refurbished old appliances.

Side note: I’ve observed at Montessori schools where very small children were allowed to take apart appliances and phones (without cords, so they couldn’t get shocked by accident) and put the machines back together. Made them so happy. I hope some of them have grown up into people who can keep things working.

• PatriotUSA says:

Thank you very much. I am a throwback craftsman who loves the older things as they were meant to be serviced and repaired. I can get parts for any fan I need or if someone is willing to pay, I can the part machined, cast etc. I started out on clocks in the early 1980’s and got into the fans after I inherited two old Westinghouse fans from my grandfather. They were in his office of his furniture store in West Texas. We used to munch tacos, tamales, cheeseburgers etc as those fans ran all day and night, for decades now. These two are from the 1940’s. Still have them. I have over 100 fans in inventory and just packed two for shipping. A 1938 King Kool made by FASCO out of Rochester, N.Y. FASCO is still in business making industrial motors. Other one is a 1950 Emerson which IMHO made the best fans ever made. I also sell vintage eyeglass frames. Is tons of fun and people love the ‘upcycling and re-purposing’ of items. I have a store on Etsy which is a wonderful site. Much better than Ebay. There is great satisfaction taking a fan that is 70-80 years old, never been serviced maybe and I do a total servicing, cleaning, etc and the fan spins right on and runs flawlessly. I have sold over 300 fans and some are in service 24/7 or run almost year round. I grew up with fans, swamp coolers and then A/C.

• Les says:

I’d like to see a pic of that fan, sir. (I have never uttered those words before.)

• PatriotUSA says:

I will try and get one. I do not know how to post a picture here??? Beautiful machine, all cast iron, steel with six brass blades. It is all original except for re-wiring of the switch and few washers in the gearbox. Weighs about 35 lbs. See what I can do.

27. wondering999 says:

Several weeks ago I listened to a speaker who claimed that in the near future, appliance repairmen will have 3-d printers in their trucks. So, they will be able to download part specifications for cheap, and then make the replacement parts in their truck; then install the replacement part and be on their way. Plastics would be the cheapest, but apparently this is also possible with metal parts.

I’m interested in this because my mother has an old hot water heating system in her house that is having hiccups, and the repairmen tell her they “can’t get the parts” necessary to repair it. 😦 Re-doing Mom’s heating system would wreck her house, which would be a shame.

I am not a technical wizard, but would love it if old cars, fans, heating systems etc. could be refurbished instead of ditched.

28. Pingback: obama gvt | Time for Thorns