An underreported story today comes amid the resignation of Stacia Hylton, the head of the U.S. Marshals Service.  The timing of the resignation could not be more transparently tied to a growing investigation into domestic surveillance programs operated without oversight, and potentially unconstitutional.

usmsFor the past several years stories have been quietly surfacing about the USMS using stealth cell phone captures via drone and fixed unit operations known as “Stingray Devices”.

Stingray technology secretly captures cell phone communication, data, voice and text from users without their knowledge.

In addition the USMS has recently been outlined using Automatic License Plate Reading (ALPR) technology to track movements of people driving. Both programs track every American and are not related specifically to investigative foundations.

More alarmingly, neither domestic surveillance program has any oversight, and many people argue such monitoring possesses an even greater threat to liberty than the controversial NSA programs.  Congress is now investigating the entire construct of the programs.

Against this backdrop today the head of the U.S.M.S. announces her resignation.

[the USMS]  … has come under new pressure from Congress in recent months, on the heels of separate revelations about its secret use of surveillance devices that scoop up information from people’s cellphones and possible misconduct in hiring and spending money.

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), the head of the Senate Judiciary Committee, has been one of the most vocal critics of the apparent misuse of money and employment quid pro quos within the agency, which sits under the umbrella of the Department of Justice.

“It’s never good news when the head of an agency needs to step aside in the midst of these kinds of allegations, and it also doesn’t mean the investigations are complete,” he said in a statement on Tuesday, after the announcement from the Marshals Service.

“As the Marshals Service moves forward, the next director must be committed to bringing real, positive change to what appears to be a culture corroded by unethical hiring practices, misuse of funds and retaliation against whistleblowers.”

Grassley’s committee has begun an investigation into the possible abuse which might continue past Hylton’s tenure, he said.  (more)

stingray tower

This entry was posted in Big Stupid Government, Conspiracy ?, Dem Hypocrisy, Dept Of Justice, Notorious Liars, NSA, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Spying, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Head of U.S. Marshals Service Resigns Amid Investigation Of Domestic Surveillance Programs…

1. SouthCentralPA says:

I watch all these Obama partisans fall on their sword, willingly going under the bus hoping that the blame will all go to themselves and not their higher-ups, and all I can think of is that scene in The Omen (the original with Gregory Peck), when the nurse hangs herself after shouting “Damien! This is all for you!!”

2. doodahdaze says:

The Police State. They will take every inch they can unless stopped.

3. ytz4mee says:

Are these resignations also timed so that questions aren’t raised about the cross-referencing of data culled from various data bases, in an even further outrage of violation of constitutional rights?

4. manickernel says:

ALPR is being used all over. Virginia and MD State Police use it. You get within 20 miles of DC and I guarantee you your tag has been scanned. It is done automatically by most cruisers along with stationary sites all around that area and it is expanding. Stingray is used by FBI, among others, so I just see the Marshall’s Service as one among many.

• Jett Black says:

It’s been reported that MD automatically runs plates from deep south states to see if you’re a concealed carry license holder. Then they stop you on a pretext and search your vehicle for firearms. Be very sure you know and are in compliance with the local gun laws for any state you’re passing through when traveling and watch y’er a__s when you’re behind the eastern state iron curtain.

• wgraham52014 says:

I’ll never go to Maryland again, and not only for the reasons mentioned. Last year we went to DC for a short visit. Stayed in Rockville, MD and rode the Metro to avoid driving anywhere near the city.
        Two weeks after returning home I received a letter from the Rockville PD. It contained a picture of our vehicle (zeroed in on our license plate) on a road near the Rockville Metro station, along with a speeding ticket. Was I speeding? I have no idea. They said I was.
        Of course I could’ve fought it- driven over 8 hours one way for a hearing, paid turnpike tolls and gas. All costing more than a ticket I more than likely would’ve had to pay anyway.
        Welcome To Maryland!
        Never again. Too bad, too. It’s a beautiful state loaded with history. Could be a nice place to visit. But…*^#@ you, MD.

• Millwright says:

wgrahm, Your experience recalls to mind a scam MD used to run on I-81N at the WVA/MD line on the bridge across the Potomac. . Set their radar at the state line in the middle of the bridge and ticket north bound travelers for 75 mph in a 60 mph zone. The ‘ kicker ‘ being until you reach the middle of the bridge you’re in WVA. MD had a box van and a JP set up on the MD side. FAIK its still running fifty years later.

• sedge2z says:

Stingrays were mentioned in Jessica Lane Chambers’ Murder (“Day #85”). The USMS were active in Panola County, MS at that time. Her unsolved murder was Dec 6, 2014 in Courtland, MS. According to pages of New York CLU April 7, 2015, the FBI requires the Sheriff’s Office to maintain almost total secrecy over stingray records, and that the FBI may request dismissal of criminal prosecutions rather than compromise their secrecy. So if Jessica became entangled in an FBI Web, they know who killed her. We may never know.

5. mihipte says:

Unfortunately I think this sort of thing is commonly considered “hawkish” or “tough on crime,” which are supposed to be conservative positions. If anyone protests, it’s probably the EFF (basically non-partisan) or the ACLU (typically Democratic). A lot of conservatives seem to feel obligated to not say anything mean about “national security” measures, and most liberals are mum because their guy’s at the top (which may or may not actually be relevant). Party solidarity is infuriating.

• SouthCentralPA says:

No, this sort of thing is considered being a d!ck with gun-owners so that the criminals don’t have to worry so much about dying on the job.

6. PatriotUSA says:

Just another head of the snake gone. This snake has way too many heads to behead.

7. bitterlyclinging says:

Obama wants to be remembered as the Santa Claus president, and like Santa Claus, Obama needs to know who’s been naughty and who’s been nice-to him.

8. manickernel says:

One other thing about DC. There a many “no-name” cell towers all around the area, essentially 24/7 Stingray collector/relays covering the entire area.

9. Stingray & License scanners are in operation here in ILM, NC

10. Jett Black says:

She served from 1980 to 2004 in several significant positions within the U.S.M.S., so mostly under Reagan, Bushes, and Clintoon. Obama brought her back from consulting after retirement, probably because she was the only woman who could actually do the job and he was under pressure to bring in high profile women. I’ll reserve judgment whether she’s a Lois Lerner or someone who is leaving because she won’t be party to lying to Congress. I keep hoping, seriously hoping that there are more higher level oath keepers out there. I won’t assume it, though. Especially not when it comes to feds.

• mihipte says:

I’m not even sure she was involved in it. Bureaucracy has the irritating effect of obscuring activity, so I’m reluctant to place blame on individuals unless I know someone ordered/executed an operation. Blaming the wrong person has a net-negative effect on accountability, partly because we end up thinking we got closure. I won’t even consider Obama deliberately responsible (maybe incompetent) without specific evidence.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.” https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Robert_J._Hanlon

11. It looks like it is here in NY too:

I dislike the NY Times but they have their uses:

Also, does anyone recall articles where people were trying to find out about all the unknown servers all around DC? Could these be them or some of them? The story kind of faded after a while and I don’t recall the final outcome.

12. timmihendrix says:

A cop in the city I work for told me that their ALPR stores & tracks every car/plate along with tagging the location. That way if someone has a warrant or is missing they can check the database to find any typical hangouts.

Seems a tad intrusive no?
    Reminded me of that concealed carry fiasco in Maryland you previously wrote about.

13. Burnt Toast says:

Stingray is just another tech proxy violation of the 3rd Amendment.

Saves money on personnel and not so obvious.

14. Grannie says:

Yes. I am from Ohio. I live approximately one hour from Wright Patterson Air Force Base, where a large drone project is based. I am an old grannie with grandchildren, and horses. I am patriotic, follow laws, have a clean record, and pay my taxes. I have been stalked for three years. Drones follow me everywhere I go, even mundane erands. . . .
    What they are looking for when I am tracked, I haven’t a clue. I know it is unconstitutional, but who, in this administration follows the Constitution? When I return home, the drones sit over my house for hours on end. Privacy and our Constitutional Republic are long gone. We are living in a ditigal prision. And the sad fact is, we are footing the bill for this domestic spying, via cell phones, and internet server fees.
    Please do not be fooled. You are NOT exempt. “Both programs track every American and are not related specifically to investigative foundations.”

15. archer52 says:

If the Marshall’s service uses Stingray to target a fugitive’s cellphone I have no problem with that. If they are just stumbling around because they can, that is abuse and has to be shut down.

The tag readers are just a bad idea. And I agree with many of you. I’ll walk before I’ll drive anywhere up the East Coast of the U.S. Those son of a guns are nuts up there!! That goes for Illinois too.

16. Millwright says:

Most folks don’t even notice the plethora of cameras and sensors lining our highways these days. Next time you take a drive scan for ‘additions’ to light poles, traffic lights, overhead signs, etc. Most are inconspicuous. Some are hidden in ordinary fixtures. IAC, they not only scan/record personal data, they also seek radioactive materials and even sense for explosives among other things. Many of us even participate in surveillance via E-Z Pass, or other automatic toll readers.

17. Dubs says:

Walking and facial recognition? Way beyond reasonable.

18. Jill says:

USMS are truly first in the world in apprehending fugitives. They work 24/7 non stop and are forever offering their services to local enforcement.