More on the ALPR, or LPR process.  APLR is Automated License Plate Reader.  LPR is not automated – they are triggered like radar guns. Our prior research has shown increasing use of APLR’s mounted to tow trucks and used by bond agents to drive through store parking lots while scanning for hits – this is the private industry use of the technology.

The governmental use of the technology is more concerning because we have already found evidence of massive databases of cross referenced information, specifically CCW and gun registration, which are available to LEO. So it strikes as reasonable the same methods would be deployed around gun shows and other identified, governmentally defined “high risk” behaviors.

Mobile APLR

WASHINGTON DC – According to emails obtained by the American Civil Liberties Union, federal authorities planned to monitor gun show parking lots with automatic license plate readers.

The insight comes from a damning report released by the ACLU this week on a secretive program by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to build a massive database of license plates images collected by automated license plate reader devices.

As part of this investigation, emails released through the Freedom of Information Act detailed a planned cooperation between the DEA’s National License Plate Recognition initiative and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to scan and record the plates and vehicle images of gun show attendees, they will also have to buy an insurance when they attend like the insurance people get for their cars and parts of it at insurers like One Sure Insurance and others.
The time and place mentioned in the email coincides with known information on the Justice Department’s Fast and Furious operation, a controversial “gunwalking” scandal that possibly transferred as many as 2,000 guns to drug traffickers in Mexico. That program was run out of the Phoenix ATF Field Division office, just two miles from the DEA office.“DEA Phoenix Division Office is working closely with ATF on attacking the guns going to [redacted] and the gun shows, to include programs/operation with LPRs at the gun shows,” reads an April 2009 email.

However, DOJ officials were quick to issue denials this week following the release of the story, advising that the ATF did not in fact engage in tracking gun show attendees.  (read more)

This entry was posted in Big Stupid Government, Conspiracy ?, Dem Hypocrisy, Dept Of Justice, Fast and Furious, Police action, propaganda, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to ACLU Report: Feds Using Mobile License Plate Readers To Scan Gun Show Vehicles For Database..

1. DOJ says. Must be true.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Obama destroys everything, including government credibility. Soviet score!

2. RJ says:

Saw these machines almost two years ago in Dayton, Ohio on cop cars laying in wait within an upscale neighborhood. Asked my childhood friend what was on those cop cars. He didn’t know, hadn’t paid any attention. Later, I searched out the devices and viola! Just like the picture you folks have presented.

It’s an old game of master and slave. We little people should be grateful that our betters are looking out for us: Government is good, but in our world are the bad guys.

There are no bad guys in government…no, really, that’s the truth! Obama, Hillary, Holder, et al. are really the good guys, I’ve heard them suggest this many times.

I believe every word my government tells me. It’s in the Constitution, right? The document they keep massaging as often as they can till they discover “their truths” which always justifies decisions they’ve made.

They’re only trying to help and protect us…settle down little people.

What could go wrong with such principled people at the helm?

3. doodahdaze says:

The TWIC ID card for transport workers has a chip in it too. This is the chip that can be implanted. Like the chip for the pets.

4. Lou says:

really messed up. if you live in South Florida though, just buy directly from “Shoot Straight”. they do 90% of the business at larger gun shows. the smaller Broward shows aren’t even worth attending because they’re overpriced, and have seen real old torn up boxes of ammo for sale. save yourself the hassle and just go to Shoot Straight.

• allhail2 says:

I second, third and fourth that motion. At least 75% of my stuff came through them. Casselberry and Apopka, FL store guys are awesome

• justfactsplz says:

I’m glad to hear that about one being in Apopka. I was planning on going to a gun show tomorrow but after reading this article and learning about Shoot Straight I changed my mind.

5. My husband is a licensed firearms dealer and manufacturer. You Treepers are probably all aware of our brand of politics by now.

He flies once a year to Vegas for SHOT Show. EVERY year, he gets pulled out of the security line for the extra special molesting and they dump his carry on bag. Both flying into Vegas and flying home. I told him he probably had a flag on his flying profile. And I don’t think the flag is just because he’s an FFL holder, all the vendors flying to Vegas for SHOT are FFL holders. I think its because he’s an FFL holder, military supporter, pro-life, church attendee, Rand Paul supporter with “Don’t Tread on Me” stickers and American Flag stickers on our vehicles. He fits Janet Napolitano’s description almost to a T.

What information are they hoping to get by profiling and scanning the license plates of gun show attendees?

I am getting really tired of being tracked and traced and having my internet footprint tracked and my cell phone monitored. I always think of that scene in the John Adams mini-series that HBO did where John Adams is talking about his right to privacy in his person and papers. LEAVE MY PAPERS ALONE! 🙂

• czarowniczy says:

Could be a flag – could be the TSA folks there are just new and right off the Mickey-D’s prep line. I’ve told the story before – won’t stop me from doing it again – I have a friend who’s rather high up there in DHS in DC. The TSA drones are trained to recognize the DHS ID badges/cards and let the bearers through – he still gets stopped at some airports (not small ones either) as the checkers don’t recognize the ID when he presents it.
      I got fondled and frequently (at Colorado Springs) pulled aside as they detected explosives residue on my clothing in my suitcase. The fact that the Springs is home to Ft Carson and the residue was on my military uniforms didn’t seem to register – gave me a reason for not doing my dainty laundry for the last week there and leaving the best stuff on top of the suitcase on the way home. After a few weeks in the field with a shower every week or so you get some really interesting residue for the TSA folks to scan – your machine says WHAT? Earn that pay, civil servant.

6. BobNoxious says:

I first heard about these in 2009-2010, IIRC. I was in court for another matter and there was a pre trial hearing going on before the judge I was waiting for as to whether the evidence would be admissible. I don’t recall what the final decision was but it sure got my attention. I saw it again on a Frontline episode a year or two later and now with this ACLU report it seems as though the problem has only gotten worse.

7. TheLastDemocrat says:

This made the news in Galveston TX. For years they had free parking along their seawall so you could spend the day with your family on the modest, grey-sand beach.

Then it finally got approved by the city council to begin charging. So, it is now pay-lot style, where you have to pay by some smart-phone app.

Since so many were upset, the specific process got a lot of attention. The cop cars would cruise the parking spots, read the license plates – as cars were parked parallel to the traffic flow, so you can see how well these readers are if they can read from almost parallel to plate.

The reading connects to the payment data base to see if you have paid for parking. This is underway now.

8. TheLastDemocrat says:

There were stories almost a decade ago out of UK. Anyone brought in as a suspect would have a DNA swab.

They developed a DNA data base of people even if never convicted of a crime.

9. Matt Musson says:

Maybe it’s true they quit monitoring license plates?

Maybe instead they are just tracking all the cell phones that enter the building.

10. John Galt says:

Islamic terrorists running rampant, so let’s focus on bitter clingers.

11. Rurik says:

Is a gun show where people go to buy drugs? Does everyone who has a gun use drugs?
    Real criminals buy their guns on the black market, not at gun shows, therefore, DEA should raid everyone who does not attend a gun show.
    Be careful Loopy lawmen are loose.

12. cajunkelly says:

People not only attend gun shows for guns. Around here it gets combined with boats, RVs, camping equipment, etc.
    They have to located that reader in a different spot in our state, since we don’t have front bumper license plates.
    I don’t see it happening here, unless we get a stinkin’ liberal for a governor. We’re the state that just kicked Mary Landrieu out on her ample keester. 😛 We took her word for it when she said “if they don’t like it they can vote me out!” We didn’t, and we did.
    Proud to be a Red State Rebel.

• czarowniczy says:

Jefferson Parish and NOLA have had the readers for some time – the excuse is they’re using them to locate stolen cars but, like the mandatory DNA samples extracted from ‘persons of interest’ in a criminal case, there’s no telling how long it’s kept or what’s dome with it. The DNA that may be taken from persons in a felony case was supposed to be disposed of once the person from whom it was taken is cleared of all wrongdoing BUT there have been a number of cases where it was retained with the usual ‘whoops, an accidental oversight’ BS explanation of what went wrong.
      I’d feel a little bit better about the reader data being stored (very little) were they to also pull over and impound the cars of those people all over the area who have the hand-lettered cardboard signs that read ‘license or tag apply for’ in place of a license plate. For those of you unfamiliar with the mostly local practice it, basically means they have no insurance, haven’t applied for a tag and have no intention of doing so.

• justfactsplz says:

“Red State Rebel”, I like it. I’ve always been a rebel, lol.

13. SoonerBoomer says:

I work for a grocery chain in the Texarkana, Texas area and about 2 weeks ago the FBI was in our parking lot scanning license plates. Customers came in wondering what was going on and the GM manager and the Asst. Grocery manager was on duty. When they brought their phones up to access their internet, it showed the FBI link. The FBI had their own WiFi. I thought that was scary. We never did find out why they were scanning license plates.