US Marine 2nd Battalion - 1st Marines Regiment - Helmund Province AfghanistanThe U.S. State Department ordered our U.S. marines to destroy their military weapons at the Yemen embassy prior to leaving. The marine detachment was then forced to destroy their personal weapons as a contingency for being allowed aboard a contracted evacuation flight. The servicemen and servicewomen were left without any form of protection.

Apparently CENTCOM is not happy with the John Kerry State Department who chose to put our military in a defenseless position. John Kerry rumored to not exactly give a s**t; after all they’re only stupid soldiers – not grand magnanimous intellectuals like Marie Harf and Patrick Kennedy.

The Marine Corps has clarified what Marines did under State Department orders in Yemen following the evacuation of the U.S. embassy. Full statement below:

The Marine Security Force left the American embassy in Yemen for the movement to the airfield as part of the “ordered departure” with only personal weapons. All crew served weapons were destroyed at the embassy prior to movement. None of them were ‘handed over’ in any way to anyone. The destruction of weapons at the embassy and the airport was carried out in accordance with an approved destruction plan.

Upon arrival at the airfield, all personal weapons were rendered inoperable in accordance with advance planning. Specifically, each bolt was removed from its weapons body and rendered inoperable by smashing with sledgehammers. The weapons bodies, minus the bolts, were then separately smashed with sledgehammers. All of these destroyed components were left at the airport — and components were scattered; no usable weapon was taken from any Marine at Sana’a airport.

To be clear: No Marine handed a weapon to a Houthi, or had one taken from him.  (link)

send marines

This entry was posted in Big Stupid Government, Cultural Marxism, Dem Hypocrisy, Military, Occupy Type Moonbats, Political correctness/cultural marxism, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Secretary of State, Terrorist Attacks, Typical Prog Behavior, Yemen. Bookmark the permalink.

149 Responses to Unbelievable – U.S. Marines Departing Yemen Embassy Forced To Destroy Weapons By State Department Order…

1. michellc says:

These people make it real hard to not hate them.

• F.D.R. in Hell says:

Real easy to despise them. (FIFY)

• RJ says:

Settle down…it’s only going to get worse and you will need your wits about you as it does. All these “distractions” are designed to take your eyes off the big prize that B. Hussein O. seeks: Letting Iran get a nuke, long range missiles, and the encirclement of Israel. He (BHO) is lying his way to this goal via the mastery of his passive aggressive political moves. Even with more people starting to use the word “liar” they still won’t come out and question “who’s side is this guy on?” directly nor indirectly.

Embassy Marines leaving with their tails between their legs means nothing to these people, after all, how many have served our country in the military? In a combat zone? They don’t like the military in the first place, never have.

Herd mentality continues to provide easy cover for “Obama The Destroyer” at each turn. Even the departure of Brian Williams is used to deflect from serious realities.

Note how the Republicans, given a mandate by American voters, seem to collapse at their desks, much like a deflated spouse who gets harangued every day only to mope and traipse around with rounded shoulders bent over in defeat, saying “yes dear” to every command to “behave the way you’re supposed to!”

It seems only another “big bang” moment will ignite a serious perpsective of what these people have done and are doing, where perhaps a drastic last minute change in course might occur.

It’ll be at the edge of a cliff. I only hope for my family to not be at that edge when it does come!

Shame is not an emotion these people will ever feel!

• Roy says:

They make it real easy to hate them.

2. MaryfromMarin says:

Is this SOP? If not, what the heck IS it?

Czar? Col Ken? Other vets/military family Treepers?

• F.D.R. in Hell says:

It’s the SOB in power. 👿

• tessa50 says:

I am not who you were asking the opinion of, but I have to say, if this is SOP it needs to be changed, pronto. The stories I see anymore regarding our military and what they have to put up with just boggles my mind.

• NEVER in the History of the Republic!!! I did have to leave my M203 in the armory in Vietnam when I left (Lucille, may she NOT serve her new owner as well as she served me…..commie bastard), but it s NOT SOP unless the unit is to be overtaken and all hope is lost. This action of which we speak is POLITICS and NOTHING more. This fraud in our White House seeks ONLY to destroy this Greatest of ALL Republics. I would love to “interview” him and holder for 15 minutes alone somewhere, sometime…….

• TKim says:

Thank you for your service. I had four relatives come home from Vietnam. One with grievous injuries that plague him forty five years later, and one in a flag draped coffin. We travel a long distance to pay respects at The Wall; still touch his name, still cry.

• Col.(R) Ken says:

I have read the news reports, now I would like to see the State Department order to the Commander of the Marine Embassy Detachment.
      When these Marines are back on US soil, the truth will be known.
      Do not know what the SOP is, I don’t like it. I would have called my friends in the Navy after I left, to send me a few Tomahawks missiles.

• RJ says:

Jeez guys, lighten up will ya? Gen. Keane is making more direct statements about our politicians’ decisions (in the executive branch) as other “retired” Generals come on television to denounce policies put in place under Obama’s command.

“Who’s side is he on?”

This is the question you need to hear on television. When you do, the worm will most certainly have turned for Obama! Till then, we’ll just have to listen to General Dempsey divert his language every which way while Admiral Kirby (note his dark eyes…just like Obama’s) always seems to wear all of his ribbons as he spins his way through press conferences.

Speaking of eyes, Kirby seems to blink just when he begins his struggle with the coming spin…what a fool he has made of himself! Gay marriage is so much more important than stopping ISIS. Even global warming steps in front of terrorism!

“Trust me, I know what I’m doing.”

Your Mother warned you: “Never buy a book for it’s cover!” “Give them an inch, they’ll take a yard!”

And of course: “You made your bed, now lie in it!”

Recall how Eisenhower had Germans gathered up to be taken to the death camps as witnesses to end the denial by it’s citizens of what Hilter and his boys did to the Jews, etc. What makes you think the mess B. Hussein O. is making will require anything less to be believed by most Americans? Do you really think this “malignant narcissist” is going to go away…quietly?

Obama is the “twin towers” all over again for us…relax, it’s going to be a really big show!

As Hack loved to advise: “Stay five yards apart!”

• Mscynlynn says:

The Marine security guard (MSG) detachment receive their orders from the Regional Security Officer (RSO). The RSO is a DOS security officer responsible for the security functions of all US embassies and consulates in a given country or group of adjacent countries. The RSO provides direction to the MSG detachment via the detachment commander.

Their chain of command goes through the DOS. During a noncombatant evacuation operation (NEO), the US ambassador is the senior USG authority for the evacuation, not the geographic combatant commander (GCC) or subordinate joint force commander (JFC).

If the unit was a Joint Task Force (JTF) they would receive their orders from the JFC. Rules of engagement may be such that the JTF should be prepared to protect personnel (military and evacuees) from a wide variety of threats while not necessarily having the authority to preempt hostile actions by proactive military measures.

As for the destruction of their personal weapons it could be due to the international rules barring weapons on a civilian flight.

• Mscynlynn says:

This is just one publication on evacuation operations. It references others that you should be able to find online.
      Joint Publication (JP) 3-68, Noncombatant Evacuation Operations

• czarowniczy says:

In this case, yes. State can order just about what it wants as the ambassador’s THE man in the country and is the President’s official rep, outranking any other American government official in the country. I’d like to know why the destruction was ordered – was there a problem with the country where the plane was to land in that their government would not let US military with arms land? Was it part of the deal with the host country and they g8uaranteed the ‘safety’ of the Marines? Point is that the State people are not as interested in the lives of the troops as they are their little striped-pants diplomatic games and rituals, I’d still like to know the why (the real why and not the ‘for mouthbreather consumption’ why).
      The crew-served weapons (for those of you who are unfamiliar that’s a weapon like a .50 machine gun or a mortar that takes more than one person to operate) is SOP as it’s usually too difficult to move them during an evacuation. If you’re making a mad dash to the airport wrangling a bulky weapons system is just too much of a hassle. There are things that you can do to render them inoperable though it’s no piece of cake. We used to have thermite devices that would be placed on critical areas/components that would do that job nicely. The sledgehammering of the M4/M16s most likely meant destroying the more fragile upper and lower receivers as the steel parts are more difficult to take out. That’s what makes me believe the commander of the guard unit didn’t see an immediate danger to his charges and the staff prior to liftoff – orders or not I don’t see a good commander destroying operable weapons if it would put the Marines and embassy personnel in danger. I’m betting there was some reason, be it the ‘contract’ carrier or some country the plane was to stop in, that forced the order to destroy the individual weapons.
      In a normal NEO where embassy personnel are being removed under immediate threat the Marines would usually board the aircraft last or near last and weapons would be cleared either just before boarding or carefully on the aircraft (depending upon threat levels) by military who live with these weapons and are not as uneasy with them as the civilian onlookers are. Having the time to destroy their individual weapons does make me think that the appropriate Marine command on site agreed that the danger levels were low enough to warrant the effort – however if I were the embassy hierarchy I wouldn’t expect too many invites to weddings or Super Bowl parties from the Marines who had to kill their own weapons.

• Col.(R) Ken says:

Czar, good estimate of the situation, “first reports are wrong”, except Peal Harbor, Custer’s run in with the Plains Tribes.
        It would be interesting to have a beer with that young Marine Captain, Cdr., Security Detachment. I would have left a few surprises for the new occupiers when they opened the arms vault door.

3. casimir915 says:

Absolutely unbelievable. American Marines forced to give up their weapons. If true, a complete disgrace. As Andrew Jackson said– I shudder for the liberty of my country.

4. F.D.R. in Hell says:

There are no words. 😦
    “A Marine never relinquishes his weapon.”

5. CrankyinAZ says:

You know… every single day, I utter those words I never thought I would. Whiskey – Tango – Foxtrot. Every. Single. Day.

6. Les says:

Every Marine a rifleman.

I won’t recite The Creed, but we all know.

We have to stop electing people who haven’t served. That’s the bottom line. We have to stop doing that.

• Sharon says:

The Creed is what I thought of the instant I heard about this. My son is a Marine.

• 2+2 says:

Sharon, thank you for raising such a fine lad. I’m proud of your son, but I fear for him and all our military. My nephew is Army, 82nd Airborne.They are in our prayers.

• Sharon says:

My son is in the “once a Marine, always a Marine” category now – he’s 47 yrs old!

I have three GRANDsons! (sorry – I had said “sons” here – ) in the Army – two of them presently in Kuwait, one of whom has already been (months) at Baghdad Airport and the other who just arrived there is headed north in a couple of weeks.

• polk8dot says:

Sharon,
            May God save them, protect them, ease their pain, and bring them home safely back to you and all their loved ones. May He give His blessings and rewards to all our military members, veterans and their families. May He always walk with them into the fight, and lead them back out under His impregnable shield.
            God bless the US Armed Forces. God Bless America.

• Sharon, sweet Sharon…..I have three nephews presently serving. One Regular Army who was deployed to Djibouti Africa during the Boko Harem BS, who at the last moment was pulled from the flight he was asigned to for a rescue which was later shot down with all lives lost, one Oregon National Guard who has served in Iraq and may be called back soon for Ukraine, and one Navy who is presently dismantaling the nuclear components of the USS Enterprise. I fear for the two Army nephews, as they have both already have been deployed to muzzy hotspots and may well be again. My only disappointment is that I am judged too old to join them….Crap!…..I can still manage a 4-5lb trigger pull and I am a proven marksman as per Vietnam and beyond. But…. I guess we all will see soon where we stand and what we are willing to give……… Nathen Hale!!!!……………Molon Labe…….Wolverines!!!!!!!

• tappin52 says:

Sharon, God bless your family and keep them safe while they are in harm’s way under the command of this traitorous regime.

• Brett says:

I will have a son in the USAF in about three years. I pray that we have leaders that care about their service, and their lives, unlike the traitorous filth that is in there now.

• Sharon says:

Another grandson of mine is entering the USAF in a couple of months.

It’s been really troubling to think clearly about motivation (for family and enlistee) for going in at this point. On one hand, the CiC is a real piece of work, not to be trusted for any reason at any time. However, on the other hand, in just this situation we need as many genuinely American men and women serving in the military so that the military as a population doesn’t become the knee jerk servant of the leftists.

As far as I’m concerned, my grandsons serve for our nation’s survival – they do not serve the administration. I don’t assume their motivation will save the day but in order to serve well, that’s the perspective they have.

• 2+2 says:

THIS:
            “I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God”

“I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.”

So many of them are leaving instead of re-enlisting, so they won’t be forsworn. They simply can’t bring themselves to respect and obey O, even telling themselves it’s the OFFICE of the President they are sworn to obey and not the person occupying it.

• 2+2 says:

Commander-in Chief is NOT an honorific. He has the power to send our military to their deaths. I keep saying the qualifications for President have to be changed to include military service. That was never a problem in the past because of the draft. We must either make a tour of duty a requirement, or remove the title and power from the Office, and leave decisions regarding the military up to the Pentagon and Congress.

• Ziiggii says:

Les may not post it for others “…but we all know.” But I will! This is not SOP for us and yes the DOS might have ordered them to do so, but know this, it sure as HELL was not done without some very sweet USMC verbiage.

Excuse the language for anyone who is thin skinned. This is not taken lightly by any Marine, ever…

WE WOULD NEVER KILL OUR LADY’S!

• Les says:

I was waiting for you to come be Gung Ho, Marine!

There are words that stir you (Devil Dog, Hell Hound, Leatherneck, Lava Dog, Battle of Belleau Wood,Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Inchon, PI, Chesty, and the greatest, Semper Fi) but the word “rifleman” IS The Corps. I’m beyond angry and disgusted.

I’m sure those boys couldn’t believe it when they got that order and I know they had some ripe comments. We have disgraced something that has been sacred since 1775. I say “we” because we have allowed all the BS I see in this country to happen. We let the idiots rule. How do we put some fire back into our own kind of people? And I don’t mean just white people, I mean GOOD people.

I texted a link to this story to my boy. He got the family honor of wearing the pith helmet on PI for two years. He sent back a string of ungodly language and I couldn’t fault him for it, I knew exactly what he meant.

• Ziiggii says:

LOL – Ooorah!

I hate this and pray that there will be a brave NCO/CO that comes forward when they can to shine the light on the events at the airport. The USMC don’t “tuck tail and run” (Ramadi) and the same holds true for any SpecOP personnel that would definitely be stationed at the Embassy as well.

Something smells about this event and it points to continued laziness by DOS.

• Les says:

If you have ever lost a piece of gear you know how much it costs (and the sheer panic) to replace that stuff. Even a C hat (haha) costs over $50 to replace in a hurry.

They just updated in the last few years. I can’t believe they left anything there, inoperable or not. I don’t care how much they “disabled” or “scattered” the pieces, it just isn’t done. Why not stow it instead? Or at least bring the pieces home? THAT I don’t understand AT ALL. I’m not sure I believe it, either. It does smell funny from here.

Something isn’t right.

• wanthetruth says:

Love you guys, Les and Ziiggii! Love the sense of humor. Love your Patriotism!

Thanks to you and your family members that have served . Thanks to all here who have served or have family having served or serving now!

I am proud to be an American and very afraid for what is coming. It is terrible to be grateful to be older. I cannot fathom what all is in store for my loved ones who are not – but I am very afraid for them.

• wanthetruth says:

Thinking of those forced to destroy their weapons while watching that video made me cry! Our C(oward) , C(riminal) , C((ollaborator) in Chief will pay one day. I do not believe we will be present to see it though. That saddens me.

• 2+2 says:

this still give me chills every time I hear it!
        OORAH!

7. NO MORE! The insanity of this fraudulent administration has long ago surpassed all reason. Anyone who still supports this theft of America’s values and it’s GOD GIVEN right of the individual to pursue Life, Liberty and SELF determination is my AVOWED enemy and will be treated as such! I will not go willingly to the “camps”. I stand by Nathan Hale’s declaration ! Molon Labe….WOLVERINES!!!!!!

8. no agenda says:

Why did they leave on a commercial flight? This does not make sense to me. Can someone please spell this out for me? 🙂

• MaryfromMarin says:

Maybe they had to destroy all military aircraft, too?

(/sarc. I hope.)

• F.D.R. in Hell says:

TSA

• Konagirl says:

Was it commercial or private? I heard both named. Still not understanding (but I think I do) why not military jet so “all our guys” could be armed and ready.

• Mscynlynn says:

Commercial aircraft is frequently used by the DoD.

Joint Publication (JP) 4-01, Chapter III, 2.d. Operational Support Airlift (OSA). OSA is a special classification mission to provide for the timely movement of limited numbers of priority personnel and cargo during wartime, as well as peacetime training for pilots and priority airlift for key decision makers. OSA operations tend to be conducted by smaller-sized business type airframes. While OSA operations are normally conducted either in direct support of the assigned organization’s organic requirements or pooled at the CCMD level, OSA assets may be used to reduce extraordinary workload demands on the air mobility system. USTRANSCOM is responsible for scheduling OSA missions with CONUS-based assets while the Services validate OSA requests. GCCs (geographic combatant commander) with their own OSA fleets are responsible for scheduling and execution tasking of OSA operations within their AORs.

• Col.(R) Ken says:

Mscynlynn, hey if your not too busy, could you look up the definition of : Strategic Patients, can’t seem to find that definition in my Warfighter’s smart book.

• Mscynlynn says:

The Joint Chiefs will be having a grand time making war plans for that strategy. Will there be a service ribbon issued for “Enduring Patience” for the service members who are serving during the last two years of this presidency?

The top brass is going to be busy rewriting the directives and instructions for uniform wear to make sure the transgender troops know how much makeup and nail polish they can wear while in uniform. They will also be busy with figuring how to have a war on climate change since the CinC thinks it is a greater threat Daesh!

• Dixie Darling says:

It was mentioned briefly that Zero was too cheap to send a military transport for them. There’s that micromanage crap again……

• czarowniczy says:

It freq8uently depends upon ALL available assets. Gotta remember that NEO-NISH missions ALSO include those misc Americans like USAID, Peace Corps, that whole spectrum of do-gooders that we allow to set up shop in foreign countries. The embassy staff/families will usually be the first one son the planes while the outliers will have to make their own decisions as to when to leave for their rally/pickup points. In one NEO there were chopped-up bodies floating down the rivers and some of the US personnel were still way out in East Moses debating whether to leave or wait-it-out. We don’t bring enough staff on a NEO to run all over a country herding the chickens into the coop, they have to meet at certain points and if they don’t we get blamed for their bad decisions.
        You gotta remember that the US just doesn’t have air assets idling on the runways – you also gotta remember that if the embassy’s in someplace like East Crapistan where the international airport runway can’t handle a Globemaster then you have to find enough smaller aircraft to make the numbers haul. Lest we forget, there will be other nations there trying to evac their embassies and little bunny helpers too. Their aircraft will be taking up parking space (what makes you think their people have it any more together than ours?), POL, all of the services that were established for a far lesser level of activity. And who’s coordinating the air activities such as takeoffs, landings, holding patterns? OK, we have our people on the books for that but you can see how complicated this all gets.
        Contract carriers come in a lot as they have the assets, though evacuees may have to settle for cargo-based accommodations and no inflight Starbucks (usually only a problem with the embassy staff).
        I haven’t even gotten into our perhaps getting helicopters in to evac embassy/civilians from besieged areas or areas where their egress is prevented/denied. There’s also that situation where we just cannot get in and we have to rely on some ‘friendly’ nation who’s there to stuff our folks onto their aircraft and haul them out – yeah, been there dome that. It’s harder than it appears at first look and the Navy unit I was with that did these individual- country NEO-NISH plans gets respect for the h8uge amounts of work that go into them. The important thing is getting the folks out, anything else is just fluff.

• Dixie Darling says:

Point well made, czar. Maybe we are making a mountain out of a mole hill. The voice of reason is soothing. By the way, is your 8 key stuck with your u key? No offense intended. It does not detract from your “way with words”.

• smiley says:

Saigon, 1975

• czarowniczy says:

Yeah, that was a rat***k rather than a NEO. the infamous pic of the Huey hovering on the roof of a building during the exfiltration wasn’t the embassy but a building on Gia Long street that the CIA used for its Chief of Station office – they were getting their folks out while the embassy was busy making sure the records of many VN nationals that worked for the US were neatly in place for the Communists to find.

• mcfyre2012 says:

There are C-130s and C-17’s in the area that can be diverted at a moment’s notice. Since 1990, we’ve had air bases in Kuwait (Ali al Salem), Qatar (Al Udeid), and Al Dhafra (UAE), as well as Camp Lemmonnier in Djibouti (adjacent to the airport). On all of these bases you will find C-130s, C-17s, KC-135s, KC-10s, and at times, C-5s. I know because I have been deployed to all of them, and/or passed through them.

A simple order from a general would have moved an aircraft. Methinks the State Department (which is as arrogant as Oblah-blah) was not communicating with CentCom. Remember that the State Department took over the Iraq mission from the military in December 2011…and we all know how that turned out.

• czarowniczy says:

CENTCOM may or may not have been communicating with the embassy but the only thing that matters is what the embassy said. I’ve been in the position of recommendation assets for deployment to a NEO but those air assets belong to AFCENT and need (a) To be re;leased by the owning agency, (b) overflight permissions from countries between where they are and where they’ll be going and (c) the embassy’s approval on the mission. Why contract aircraft were used isn’t being released but I can say it’s a lot easier to get overflight permissions from a country when it’s a contract vice a military aircraft.
            I think State goes way beyond arrogant to criminally negligent, that’s j8ust a personal opinion though. The embassy doesn’t coordinate with any other government agency as inside of a country the ambassador’s a god, even the military is overuled by the ambassador and the State staff. In a country where there’s an active war going on (like Afghanistan now) the ambassador’s authority is tempered but even the highest military commander in the country does a lot of coordination with the ambassador. That ambassador in Tripoli can ask CENTCOM for a ride but the CENTCOM commander in Qatar can tell him to use air miles. That said, the ambassador gets on the horn to the directly to SecState and suddenly the CENTCOM CO gets a call from teh WH chjief of staff – or worse – and things start moving in a new direction.
            The issue of the weapons still does not question of the ‘desires’ that the nation being unassed and any being overflown/landed in, that US military overflying their territories not be armed. There are lots of issues that can impact on decisions and the embassy does not want any incidents aggravating the situation if they can be avoided. If you wear a uniform and work with State sometimes you just gotta be prepared to swallow your pride.

• Ziiggii says:

Available assets huh….
          25+ US Military installations in the region
          2-3 US Navy Carrier Groups in region (one is always stationed somewhere around the Horn)
          Riyadh is a 2 hour flight (USAF)
          Qatar is a 3 hour flight (CENTCOM)
          Bagram is a 4 hour flight (Afghanistan)
          Camp Victory is a 6 hour flight (Iraq)
          Ramstein is also within a normal sortie flight distance

not to mention all US Embassy installations are top priority for any units that are on call (scramble status) in a given region. Just like we found out about Libya there is always a military unit at the ready for evac. And Libya wasn’t even an actual Embassy! The DOS made those guys board commercial/private plane because they were to lazy (just like Libya) to release the assets already in region. If it was a private charter they would still be able to carry their weapons (whether issued or personal) or at the very least have their gear stored in the belly. I know about that from experience!

• 2+2 says:

TRUE!
            unloaded, no ammo or magazines, and in a locked case if required.
            Ty, I was just typing up a paragraph about that when yours popped up.

• czarowniczy says:

We have n8ukes in silos that could be called into play too but they are all 8useless UNLESS the ambassador makes the call. Like it or not the ambassador’s THE personal representative of the US president in whatever country s/he’s stationed in. Yes most are political appointees but they do not make a move in cases like this without State/WH approval as their actions can whip up a sh*t storm in a heartbeat. That ambassador’s not going to ask for a carrier strike and the carrier task force commander, or even the joint command commander, isn’t going to order one without Pentagon (read as WH) approval. The US cannot just send in passenger planes, with or without armed air/ground support as long as there’s some semblance of government on the ground without that government’s permission unless the POTUS say ‘Do It!”.
            Oh yeah, I’ve flown a number of contract flights with weapons either stored in the cargo bay or cleared and in my seat with me – BUT that was with the host government’s permissions and the flights were in and out of military facilities unless the weapons were packed and crated before we left for the airport. When foreign heads of state come to the US (Russia comes immediately to mind) they carry weapons in their vehicles BUT those vehicles are under diplomatic restrictions that make each one a tiny piece of the country’s homeland on US soil. Even at embassies you see national armed guards but they are inside of the embassy’s gates. I still bet that the Libyans, or wherever they landed, wanted unarmed military personnel on the plane, I do not think the ambassador ordered this on his own part.

• Ziiggii says:

“I do not think the ambassador ordered this on his own part.”

I agree Czar. I did not mean for my reply to come across as directed at you per say but more so towards the DoS; as how you were explaining to everyone, I was reading it as the line of thought the State Dept would have taken. My question below still stands. If there was no leadership/government in Yemen at the time would any of the pomp and circumstance of the DoS even matter for a more meaningful exfil?

I’m starting to believe that it was the Ambassador that was the one to “tuck tail and run” and either them or higher up the DoS (WH) food chain ordered the MSG to “destroy” their weapons so they could get the hell out of there without stirring the natives! And even as a DoS attache no Marine would willingly do so without some very choice words. I don’t care if the Ambassador is God of their own little world or not. Oh the sweet nothings that would be uttered, sweet nothings in my ears!

• czarowniczy says:

Could have been the ambassador who made the order but again, he would have been acting upon someone’s ‘advice’. It’s uncomfortable but as a rep of the US government you sometimes have to just sit there and take the hit. Let’s say that the rebel factor that could guarantee the safe conduct of the staff demanded they disarm before they’d be granted passage – an ego thing that would give the rebels status among the people. What choice would they have? About the only thing they might have gotten away with was ‘where’ they’d disarm.
                The US would try all it could to prevent having the entire tinderbox go up and have to end up in a huge ground fight in Yemen that would have far reaching consequences.
                We’ve had embassies lost to rebel nationals and the defending Marines ordered not to fire at attackers coming over the walls or through the gates. Most foreign embassies in the US would react the same way, it’s how diplomats conduct business. They, just as we do, would have the staff frantically destroying anything inside of the building they wouldn’t want in foreign government’s hands (you’ll find sledgehammers in the code rooms) and not force an issue by shooting the locals. Nobody, Marines, Army, Navy, likes being told to sit down and take a big bite out of that crap sandwich but it’s what you do – what you’re told.
                I’m betting that we’ll probably never get the entire, true story but I’m betting that diplomacy has more to do with it than anything else.

• Ziiggii says:

and by more meaningful, I mean, “less embarrassing” exfil…

• smiley says:

“…can not just send in planes..without ground support…”

well..wouldn’t that be a good reason for us to have “boots on the ground” in, say, Jordan?

• czarowniczy says:

Isn’t as simple as that. You have to see/coordinate who’s on the ground already, who’ll be trying to get on the ground at the same time and who may not want you on the ground – period. You have to insert troops. most likely Rangers’ early on to initially secure the facility, have more ready to go in and form a perimeter, then you have to get the staff and miscellaneous strap-hangers from wherever to the airport without incident (meaning dead people), get them off the ground without damages to the departing aircraft from fire form wherever with whatever – it’s a goat rope WITH planning but off-the-cuff the possibilities of a lot of dead US players increases exponentially. Think ‘Blackhawk Down’ with a load of civilians thrown into the mix.

• smiley says:

ok.
                  my dad was a WW2 navy pilot…he said “things never go as planned.”

• czarowniczy says:

While we’re being disturbed over a few Marines being forced to give up their weapons – and in a WW II vein – what ever happened to the many tho8usands of US POWs in German Stalags that were overrun by the Russians in the closing days of WWII? See how short peoples’ memories are? That issue has disappeared even more thoroughly than o8ur Vietnam and Korea POWs that went missing. It’s all relative – and traceable back to State.

• smiley says:

czar..

this might interest you

http://www.merkki.com/ Stalag Luft 1 WW2 POWs

• Ziiggii says:

FWIW – I appreciate your input on this Czar! I never was “upper management” material (2 attempts at Annapolis proved that!) and more inclined to the typical NCO mentality of “get ‘er done” regardless of the seemingly idiotic (while grinding my teeth) nature of “diplomacy” at times. My proud, patriotic, American exceptional-ism mentality would not play nicely in the higher echelon of the DoD and it’s need to be more, how to say it, diplomatic (read “political”) in it’s characteristics. I admire those that can play the “political game” as I’ve never been good at it. I see things to black and white and not very grey.

I hope that Rep. Issa will take the microscope to this event. I suspect there may be a real connection/pattern to the who/what/why already being investigated in Benghazi and those that transpired in Sana’a. All of which may help to further expose the woeful “JV” style in leadership by this CiC, his Administration and it’s DoS.

• czarowniczy says:

Same here – career NCO who. when his soul was released from the Guf misunderstood when I was asked if I wanted a ‘rich’ life. 99% do not play the politics game, you try to make sure yo8u and your charges survive it. State pukes put me and mine in binds more than once – one incident in Egypt could have turned really nasty – but you improvise.
                  You learn going into an assignment who is THE shot-caller and do what you are told regardless if the person in charge is military or civilian – it’s what you’re told to do and if you take the check twice a month it’s what’s in the contract. It’s not always black and white, it’s really 50 shades of gray and if you don’t go by the script you’re screwed.

9. Have gun will travel says:

Destroying all weapons under the circumstances that recently transpired in Sana’a is not SOP.
    There are SOPs to destroy weapons to prevent hostile forces from acquiring them in the event of an in extremis evacuation, where some weapons (heavy crew-served for example) may have to be left behind to facilitated rapid evacuation. This was not the case at our embassy in Yemen.

10. F.D.R. in Hell says:

Ninety-nine percent of all veterans will eventually be classified “Unsuitable For Gun Ownership” under ObamaCare. This is just one of the many subtle tentacles slithering through America to grab guns. A thousand tiny cuts and 2A will be gone without a fight.

For example…

• Roy says:

“Ninety-nine percent of all veterans will eventually be classified “Unsuitable For Gun Ownership” under ObamaCare. ”

Yes, and kids will be similarly classified under mental unsuitability beginning with grade school “records.”

Then it will expand to anyone who disagrees with the regime.

• 2+2 says:

don’t forget if you go to a doctor or hospital your medical records are now in the “system” and ready for datamining. Forget about HIPPA, that just makes it difficult for YOU and your family to get access to records. I ran into this in October when my hubby had surgery and couldn’t act or speak for himself. Then on the followup visit, the doctor asked for an email address, and my hubby declined because he doesn’t want to be in the system. The doctor said the email is only so they can communicate with the patient, patient’s data is already in the system. Patients and doctors have no choice about that.

This is a serious breach of privacy. The original intent of “med-on-line” was so doctors could exchange information with each other and their patients. Government intrusion has made it into another way to spy on Americans.

11. cg says:

Reblogged this on Catholic Glasses.

12. doodahdaze says:

Wonder if they had to bow too.

13. Darrell W says:

I am a 68 year old Marine. I doubt if he has ever read it, or even heard of it, so I thought I would post The Marine Corps Rifleman’s Creed just for Resident Obama:

Marine Corps Rifleman’s Creed

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit.

My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America’s and there is no enemy.

14. ctdar says:

Hegseth said this is about the signals and optics presented to the world.
    “It is maddening how naive this administration is,” he said.

so per this administration: just stick out your necks for the enemy so they can cut cleanly.

15. Konagirl says:

I heard “the Kelly File” on Fox on my car radio on the freeway home. I actually started talking back to the radio, to Obama, to the State dept.,etc. I was, and am appalled. Americans do not want this. Rumor on Twitter was that Centcom did not even know of order. Why not military plane for evacuations? I’m still reeling this morning and may need to rant more in the shower to myself.

• mcfyre2012 says:

I don’t understand why they were evacuated on a contract plane when we have dozens of available military cargo aircraft in Kuwait, Qatar, and UAE.

• Roy says:

“contract plane ”

Stealing government (taxpayer) money through crony contracts for everything.

• Les says:

I’m okay with Vet-Owned contractors, a little skeptical of woman-owned and foreign-owned businesses getting military gov’t contracts. Vets should get first consideration in this instance. Let the women-owned and foreign-owned get the non-military contracts.

You can thank welfare recipients for taking funds needed for installations to handle their own business or hire branch civilians to perform these tasks. RIF=some Pakistani making a sh*tload of money.

• Roy says:

“I’m okay with Vet-Owned contractors”
            Me, too. They should be given priority.

Too many government contracts are awarded to minority individuals or groups either through affirmative action, minority status, or special loans available only to foreign immigrants, or any of the aforementioned who serve as fronts for political or corporate cronies.

• Deliberate demoralization and emasculation of our warriors by the State Department both by stripping them of their weapons and denying them evacuation on a military aircraft. See the Marine Corps Rifleman’s Creed which Darren kindly posted above.

For more information on the Marine Corps standards, please follow this link:

• Dixie Darling says:

Konagirl.. I, too, walk around my house screaming at the t. v. screen, shouting expletives and pounding the t.v. screen with my fist. There are so many un-American, dishonorable things being done to our country and our military……and the only thing I can do is pray.

God Please Bless Them All!

16. JohnP says:

Maybe we are being to hard on the State Department? After all the last time they “handled” one of these situations our people got killed.

17. The appalling actions and policies of the Obama Administration are educating more and more Americans. They are learning how dangerous it is to vote for Democrats, especially the far left radicals. President Obama and his Administration will be unconstrained for the remainder of their term. These outrageous decisions are going to continue unimpeded. But, the upside of this will be the enlightenment of our citizenry.

We’ve decided to take care of our business. You do the same, control what you have power over. Live righteous, conservative, disciplined lives while the nation undergoes the wrath of Obama, Democrats & their minions. They are going to destroy all they can on their way out of power. We will have an enormous mess on our hands, but we will roll up our sleeves and clean it up.

I don’t mean to minimize the degradation and humiliation our military men and women are enduring. It’s despicable. Nor am I callous to the suffering of humanity brought about by the Obama regime. There’s just not a whole lot we can do about it until we get these vermin out of office.

It’s always darkest before the dawn. America will rise again.

18. rightie says:

What would have happened if the Marines had refused? They were leaving, how would it have mattered to the Yemenis if they had kept their weapons? There is something else going on here. I am worried about the symbolic aspect here as well. Who gave the damn order? John Kerry is an Obama puppet, I don’t think he would have come up with this all by his lonesome. Someone thought it was quite allright to ask our Marines to be without a weapon even if it was for a short time. Symbolically speaking America gave up its weapons, that is what the Arab on the street sees. We have got to get to the bottom of this.

• 2+2 says:

symbolism.

Now in the U.S. State Department. Your steadfastness impresses everyone

• pspsst says:

An Examination of Sock Puppets and their Potential for Evil

Sock puppets are created simply by inserting ones hand into a poor unsuspecting sock, drawing / gluing on some form of eyes, then watching the transformation of innocent cotton foot covering into foul, malevolent conduit for all your schizophrenic, corrupt desires. Eventually it will take control, and you will be the puppet. Heed my warning.

For some bizzaro reason, this puppet:

Is far less terryfying than this puppet:

19. doodahdaze says:

They had to take the bolts out and then smash their rifles with sledgehammers.

20. TKim says:

If only a Obama cared about one serviceman in harm’s way. But he DOES care about thugs who try to disarm cops with violence and ones who try to beat an innocent man to death.

We have millions of idiots who say ” I support our troops” or even,”God bless the troops” and that is the sum total of their thoughts about those men and women. But for a thug? Heck let’s tweet, Facebook, protest, march, carry signs, lie down in traffic and call thugs endangered species.

Why not protest and march and petition for veterans rights to be upheld? For people in uniform to have the very best in both gear and provisions for their dependents at home? For VA facilities to be the center of VIP treatment and state-of-the-art care? For every resource to make returned servicemen suicides a thing of the past?

Sometime during the past forty years or so American flipped upside down. Bizarro world with no morals, no consequences, vanity and avarice the twin pillars of character. The brave forgotten, the
    criminals praised, the adults refusing to grow up, and 55 million babies thrown away like medical waste.

21. Brett says:

People in this country will need to make a choice, and the fact that half the people in the country still evidently support obama and the democrats indicates that that they really do hate our nation. We, as a nation, are quickly becoming polarized. There will be blood and fire, and death. I pray that the military and law enforcement choose the American people over the political establishment. We will see.

• 2+2 says:

Taxpayer revolt against the government, supported by the military and law enforcement? Or a military coup, supported by the American people and law enforcement?

22. JohnP says:

Jen Psaki tries to explain what happened in Yemen.

The Houthis are saying they found usable weapons in State Department vehicles at the compound.

23. Les says:

Instead of feeling helpless and hostile, I’m going to give a shoutout to the Patriot Riders. I’m not a rider but I work with them when they have a special request and I can help. Get on their mailing list if you aren’t already, I guarantee there is something you can do. They have done right by me and my family more than once.

I needed a reminder of the good in the world and the simple ways we can all do something.

24. Pingback: QUESTION OF THE DAY: WHO DO YOU THINK IS REALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ORDER? - Angry White Dude

25. Ziiggii says:

related reading: article from fall 2013 about increase in MSG personnel following Libya.

MSG is a small force and the “on the ground” commander is a SNCO no brass on site. The US Embassy in Yemen is secured by a detachment from the MSG Region 2 (Near East/South Asia) headquartered in Abu Dhabi, UAE (backyard of CENTCOM) commanded by Lt Col Gerber.

The real question is how was the evac designated? It does not seem to fit into the standard NEO followed by DoS/DoD. “The U.S. Ambassador has the responsibility, according to law, to request a NEO. Once he does, the government will determine whether or not the evacuation should be done with civilian resources, such as the Civil Reserve Air Fleet (CRAF), or with military forces. Even if military forces conduct the evacuation, the Ambassador remains in charge of the evacuation.”

Were they using a commercial flight? Because if it was designated an NEO-NISH then it should mean private charter (CRAF) or military (DoD) airlift. If it was ‘plain old commercial flight’ then one could conclude that the closing of the embassy was not designated a NEO at which time it would seem be something akin to “on your own” for transportation. What about the highly sensitive intel and other hardware (computers, drives, network devices) at the Embassy? That would be a lot of crap to get onto a regular commercial flight and would be a highly questionable action to just throw into the cargo hold without armed security of some kind. Was it left behind? Destroyed? What else could have been left behind? Benghazi sure had a good amount of sensitive material “sitting” around in the aftermath of that debacle.

So like SD’s pingback…. “Who is responsible for the order?” Was it the Ambassador or MSG Chain of Command?

• Les says:

Can’t you check weapons on flights?

And didn’t we just deploy a bunch of troops to the Horn? That’s four hours away from Sana’a.

“In a show of bravado, the rebels seized about 20 vehicles left by U.S. diplomats and Marines at Sanaa’s airport, officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the press. The Americans evacuated after destroying documents and heavy weapons at the embassy.

The rebels also seized weapons found in the U.S. vehicles, the officials added — apparently referring to personal sidearms that the Pentagon said the Marines left behind because they could not take them on their departing commercial flight.”

• Ziiggii says:

Yes, rifles can be checked but they must be stored in a locked hard case and separate from ammo. (http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition)

“Either they are lying about the service weapons or we had to flee Yemen in a hurry.”

If we did flee in a hurry then…

“Marine Corps Security Force Regiment (MCSFR). The MCSFR has three fleet
        anti terrorism security team (FAST) companies totaling 18 platoons of one officer and 45
        enlisted Marines and one Navy corpsman each. These FAST platoons can
        provide a rapidly deployable augmentation of the MSG, providing the CCDR and ambassador with a low-visibility reinforcement capability. MCSFR and its assets
        are OPCON to respective fleet commanders if currently deployed. If not deployed, all MCSFR assets fall under Marine Forces Command.”

One other thing:

“Coordination and interaction with the Host Nation (HN) and en route HN governments will be required to determine, among other things, legal authority to conduct a NEO, overflight rights, ROE constraints due to HN laws, status of international agreements (e.g., status-of-forces agreement [SOFA], memorandums of understanding [MOUs]), request and/or approval for and NEO-related intelligence collection activities, and the legal status of evacuation force personnel. The outcome of this effort will influence the level of freedom and ease with which the evacuation force may execute its mission.”

There is/was no active leadership or government in Yemen, correct? If so, would any of the international laws (SOFA) or anything else even apply?

Something still smells…

• Col.(R) Ken says:

Zigging, hey remember OPSEC? I’m sure that Ltc doesn’t mind being ID on a site that has about 18 million views per year.

• Ziiggii says:

Aye, Sir! I shouldn’t put CTH into that camp of airing out his skivvies in public but his skivvies are out there.

I apologize for that!

26. chick20112011 says:

the optics of Marines hammering their own weapons. something i never thought i’d see. i wonder if the state department will have all weapons melted into a unity sculpture? (/sarcasm)

27. chick20112011 says:

Not many planes leaving Sana’a airport. Fly to Qatar or Cairo or Saudi Arabia.