A 14-year old St. Charles boy who spent 15 minutes under water after falling through the ice of Lake Ste. Louise has made a recovery no one can explain.

It’s a recovery so complete, our Kay Quinn spoke on-camera to young John Smith about his near-drowning, and his amazing story of survival.

Ice Miracle

Three 14-year-old boys fell through the ice on Martin Luther King Day.

When rescuers arrived, one was almost out of the water, another was holding onto the ice and one couldn’t be found.

Eighth grader John Smith is doing something doctors never believed would be possible.

“I don’t remember much about it to be honest, but I do remember the tubes,” says Smith.

He is walking and talking, here with his pastor Jason Noble by his side. And trying to make sense of how he’s not just alive, but thriving after being under water for 15 minutes.

ice miracle 2

“After listening to what the paramedics and doctors said I’m pretty surprised at the outcome,” says John.

[…] “In my mind this is a very grim, very poor chance of survival already,” says Dr. Sutterer of the moment John came in.

Dr. Sutterer and his team performed CPR on John for 27 minutes with no success. The question was raised: how long should they continue?

“He was dead for 45 minutes,” says Dr. Sutterer.

What happened next defies explanation. Dr. Sutterer called John’s mother into the room to give her the news.

“She started praying loudly,” says Dr. Sutterer.

“I don’t remember what all I said,” recalls John’s mother, Joyce Smith. “But I remember, ‘Holy God, please send your Holy Spirit to save my son. I want my son, please save him.’ And they hadn’t been getting a pulse at that time, so all of a sudden I heard them saying, ‘We got a pulse, we got a pulse.'”

“Within a matter of a minute or two, his heart started again,” says Dr. Sutterer.

It’s an experience that’s shaken many of those in the emergency room that day. This veteran of responding to medical crisis wrote a letter about it as a way to cope.

“His heart was jump started by the Holy Spirit listening to the request of his praying mother,” reads Dr. Sutterer, from the letter he wrote.

Dr. Jeremy Garrett who oversaw John’s recovery even goes a step further. “It’s a bonafide miracle.” (read more)

a-prayer-for-times-like-these

This entry was posted in Christian Values, Religion, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Miracle On Ice – Under Water 15 Minutes, No Pulse For 45 Minutes, Then Mom Started Praying…

1. ZurichMike says:

Cold water like an induced coma.
    Plus one heck of a guardian angel.

2. Dixie Darling says:

Prayer does work. Guardian angels do exist. May he live a long and successful life as obviously God has plans for him.

3. auscitizenmom says:

Prayers and miracles. πŸ™‚

4. CrankyinAZ says:

πŸ˜€ What a wonderful story. He must have something important to do for God.

• Josh says:

“He must have something important to do for God.” But not just him. I believe this event happened to help ALL involved – the doctors, the paramedics, the nurses, the hospital orderlies, the friends of John Smith, etc. Every one who was a part of this story, and many who were not, will be touched by it. That this young man’s life will continue here on earth could very well “save” many, many others. Glory be to G-d!

5. Thanks for posting this. I needed to see this today.

6. tourets says:

I’m happy you posted this:

It provides real encouragement for good Samaritans to keep on helping even when things seem bleak.

7. oldiadguy says:

It was a miracle that he came back when his mother came in and started praying. I hate to appear that I am discounting the power of prayer, but, there is also this:

I learned about this phenomena from a Coast Guard instructor during EMT training. God works miracles in many ways, we just have to be aware of them.

Take Care

• pspsst says:

There was a young boy who survived as a stowaway in the low temperature storage compartment of an airplane, no oxygen, and he survived quite a long period of time. Idr, the exact number of hours. I don’t discount the power of prayer too. God can only work thru the miracle of the human body’s own mechanism, lest we start to believe in extraordinary intervention for one, whilst none for another even with prayer. Imo, only, the boy has to have to will to return because heaven is too nice and perhaps he had not suffered immeasurably to return to a miserable situation.

Some refuse to believe in God for the exact reasoning they were not blessed with a response to their prayers. A lot of liberals think this way, the likes of Bill Meher. I am happy for the mother and witnesses in the room though!

• Sharon says:

Factual reports of how our bodies function under stress do not diminish the power of prayer. It is both/and; not either/or.

We heard of this happening in the region during our years in Minnesota. Very cold water sometimes makes the difference in whether or not a drowning is survivable.

• pspsst says:

Yes, prayer is ultra important. I never start the day without it. The more diligently one prays daily and earnestly listens for the intelligence of one’s mind or guardians, the better the chances. It is as if it is in God’s hands as we beseech him in borderline cases. I would like to think if he deems it too much suffering for an individual to survive, he will take him. He can re-energize and allow the soul to continue if the body is capable. But if prayer did not bring back the loved one, we have to trust in his wisdon, and many liberals refuse to understand how prayer works. They get angry at God instead and turn away.

• Daniel says:

So, magic and magic words matter. Good to know that. These sorts of things happen with or without claims of magic and magic words.

8. STLloyd says:

Reblogged this on Serve Him in the Waiting and commented:

Moms, never underestimate the importance of your prayers for you kids!

9. wanthetruth says:

What a gift to this child’s family and all involved! It’s good he remembers nothing, for if he got a glimpse of heaven he likely wouldn’t appreciate so much being yet of this earth!

Any way it happened, that this heart still beats, we know this miracle from God. He created these complex computers that are our minds and bodies. If the Lord didn’t bring this boy back from certain death, He IS the one who created our bodies to flourish as we nourish them. Whyever and however they make it through death defying circumstances is all down to His creation.

10. flaladybug says:

My son is a burn survivor, so I know first hand what an AWESOME GOD I serve!! We were told to make funeral arrangements…..I could not accept that proposition. We spent many hours on our knees praying for that child (along with an abundance of prayer from family, friends, and even strangers) and now, 14 years later, he is a healthy, happy, BEAUTIFUL young man. I am reminded each day I look at him how POWERFUL prayer can be, and that God has a way of reminding us that HE IS IN CHARGE!!

11. bitterlyclinging says:

General rule of thumb, the rate of most chemical reactions, the rate rust forms on your cars undercarriage, the consumption of oxygen by your brain cells, slow down with decreasing temperature, the chemical processes that bring about the physiological condition we call death are apparently no exception. Medical survival events similar to this one have occurred in the past. The point of no return with salvation via body temperature temperature lowering has to be the freezing point of water, once the cells freeze, there’s no turning back, its over.

12. SouthCentralPA says:

Mammalian dive reflex. And yes, prayer …. πŸ™‚

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammalian_diving_reflex)

13. vin1vid1vic1 says:

Five Words sum it up:

14. FoxyGranny says:

Miracles abound. Prayers for continued healing

15. jsjavascript says:

Talk about putting your hands together and prey, Miracles comes in different colors too.

16. Menagerie says:

Each soul, every person, has a unique and specific guardian angel. Each soul, each person, has a unique and specific purpose in this life, things we were created to do.

We may or may not choose to do them. I do not believe necessarily that people are brought back because we haven’t finished our tasks. Most everyone who dies has not finished their tasks.

I have a nephew who survived a terrible car wreck. His mother believes this is proof of God’s love for him. Tell me, does God not love those who succumb to injuries, likenesses, death?

We are cautioned over and over by God that his ways are not ours. Rarely ever do we listen.

17. pspsst says:

Eloquently shared. Thank yβ˜€u, Menagerie πŸ™‚

18. Stormy says:

β€œFear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine.
    When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.
    Isaiah 43: 1-2

19. vin1vid1vic1 says:

It is the spirit that giveth life. Long ago a story was related to me by a friend who had been to Viet Nam as a young man. Part of his job there was operating heavy equipment and digging large trenches for burying mass casualties. This disturbed him throughout returning to civilian life..

One day he was fishing with two other guys in a small boat in a small lake. The boat capsized. All three were tossed into the water. My friend said: “I was falling down, down,under the water when all of a sudden it was like an invisible force shot me out of the water up to the surface.” He was amazed, knowing something supernatural had yanked him back up to the surface. The other two did not make it. He always questioned why he had been saved. He lived many years and finally, only a few years ago was taken from this life by health complications which he suffered with for more than a decade which he attributed to exposure to agent orange in Viet Nam.

Angels walk among us and below the waters, in the sky they fly carrying out the will of the ONE who gives them charge to carry out HIS will. Why one lives and one is rescued from the grip of death and another is taken is according to HIS will, and his mercy. I remember when John Kennedy Jr.’s plane went down into the water and searches were going on in the night. The lasting image of that little boy saluting his father’s coffin is indelible in so many minds. So unfair the loss of a parent to such an innocent child. Then the child grew and became a public person who was admired and well liked before tragedy struck again. I remember feeling such a loss and yet hoping that he and his wife and sister in law somehow would survive the plane crash. I remember praying keeping a vigil and asking for mercy to be distributed on his behalf. In the end, it was not to be. The time is appointed for each man to die. And in the end, it is HIS will be done. Every now and then we get a miracle which is somewhere between mercy and reminding us Who is in control. It’s all HIS.