Meet Davion Navar Henry Only

DavonDavion Navar Henry Only entered St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church in his only suit, a Bible in his hands, and offered his heart to the congregation. He is 15 years old, and has been in foster care his entire life, born while his mother was in jail. He harbored secret dreams that his birth mother would someday come to claim him, but recently discovered her death in an online search. He decided it was time to let go of his anger, get his behavior under control and improve his grades in a quest to find a home, and someone to love him.

Having heard that God helps those who help themselves, he decided on a course of action. With the help of his caseworker, he walked into a church in St. Petersburg, Florida in September and told the congregation “I’ll take anyone, old or young, dad or mom, black, white, purple. I don’t care. And I would be really appreciative. The best I could be.”Continue reading.

Please take time from your day to say a prayer for Davion, the purpose for this post. I hope and pray that his courageous action, his efforts to improve his life, and his prayers for love will result in someone who is God’s choice to guide this young man, and give him the love he deserves. Should anyone want more information, the person to contact is Connie Going 727-456-0600. She is with Eckerd Alternative which is the organization sponsoring Davion. Her email is cgoing@eckerd-eca.org

If you choose to respond in comments, please do so with kindness and charity.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Meet Davion Navar Henry Only

1. stella says:

May God bless this young man. Just based upon what he has done so far, he is an exceptional teenager!

2. Sha says:

Heart breaking……… All children ever wont is to be loved and wonted. I will keep him in my prayers because I have more on my plate than I can handle already or I would get some information on him myself. :(

3. It’s a shame that so many have to go through life with these hardships. It is even more of a shame that so many are there because of their behavior. My wife and I have discussed adopting or becoming foster parents. While it may be something for the future, because of the behavior problems of so many of these children, we can’t subject our own children to the danger of potential violent acts committed by these youth. It may be that Davion has learned, too late, that there are consequences to his actions and only he has control over his behavior.

• Menagerie says:

My behavior until I was 18 years old was just as bad, if not worse. It is never to late to change, and this young man has never known a home or love. For him to come this far, to reach out as he has after looking in the mirror and taking stock of himself honestly, I believe shows a fine character. He will do it with or without a family to embrace and guide him. It is my prayer that someone reaches out to him now and gives him the love and guidance he craves, but I believe he has the strength, courage, and grace to make it no matter what.

• Sha says:

justincaselawgic: I have never adopted or did foster parents but I have help raise four boys that are relatives of mine and I consider all of them to be my boys ……. I have two son’s of my own that are 8 years apart in age. I worried about how the behavior of my nephews and baby brother would effect my son’s also. My boys watched the behavior of the other boys and could say things to them that only kids can say to each other about there behavior. I don’t know how to be a perfect parent but I learned how to listen and I know how to love with all my heart. I wont lie and tell you it’s all rainbows it’s hard work and my boys are related to me , so I can’t even imagine not knowing the back story on some of these kids and what they have been threw and how to deal with there problems.

I can tell you this LOVE can heal wounds and bad behavior and that feeling of emptyness that a child can feel when they have no one in this world that they matter to . My dad (stepdad) saved me from a life of emptyness and pain at the age of ten and my heart broke when he died in 2010. The love my dad showed me shines in my children and my grandbaby like a bright star .If you have a BIG heart and a stern hand you would be great at foster care or adoption.

• taqiyyologist says:

Maybe he read one of my comments on a videogame forum site (of which there have been many)? One of my comments in an “off-topic” thread wherein I expounded on this idea? There have been many. Or some other gamer like me — that is, Christian — and was led to read more scripture?

Pray for this kid, and for his future use by God.

• Sha says:

Thank you taq loved that verse. It takes a strong will to survive in this world alone with out feeling loved. I think that young man might fear what he has never had love…… It will take someone who is willing to fight for him and beside him to win his heart. I gave my dad hell at first, I was a mess when he came into my life …… but he never gave up on me . I pray someone strong takes this young man and show’s him he can be anything he wont’s to be if he sets his mind to it. I would love to read about him becoming a success later in life.

• Sha says:

( good Gosh ! I should have used spell check…… :oops: )

4. Micah says:

I just contacted Ms Going to get information to help this young man financially. Thank you guys for posting the story. Davion will be fine because I believe God doesn’t act on a need basis, He acts on faith only and this youngster has faith beyond his years.

5. thomas cuny says:

What part of “If you choose to respond in comments, please do so with kindness and charity” did you not get?

Menagerie

6. Micah says:

The e-mail in blog post is rejecting my yahoo based e-mail claiming a spam filter situation. I’ll keep trying, but if someone finds an alternate email contact please let me know.

7. auscitizenmom says:

May God bless this young man and give him strengh and direction. He certainly is worth saving.

8. michellc says:

I read about him yesterday and it broke my heart. Every child wants no more than to be loved. I hope he finds the perfect family that will do just that.

9. saltwater says:

The way I see it is that this young man already knows his future. He will attain his goals! He already knows how. He is wise beyond his years! God bless him and his! His future is a good future, and with words of encouragement from all around him, he will succeed, big time! Jus sayin…..

10. taqiyyologist says:

Apparently one story has to make me cry every night.

This is that one. My prayers are up for this kid, and for this church.

11. taqiyyologist says:

And the Catholic Church, even. My heart soars.

I wonder if Barnhardt knows about this? I’m not even Catholic. Leaning, though.

• Menagerie says:

Taqi, the church he went to was Baptist I believe. My heart soars also, because I know this young man has so many people praying for him around the country. I am sure that someone, maybe his case worker, has tipped him off to all the good wishes and prayers coming his way, and I am sure that is a boost for him.

We all need a hand from time to time, but it takes a lot of strength to ask for it, especially when you have never had much in the way of support or love.

12. Irish Eyes says:

May the Lord bless him and make his face to shine upon him. Just joining a church would help him, provide some fellowship, but I hope he finds a family too.

13. taqiyyologist says:

His last name is Only.

Amazing again. I hope Thug Report (a real site) puts him in the headline for a week.

• taqiyyologist says:

I also wonder if he knows about the history, from ancient to modern, of Believers being put to unimaginable deaths? The way he was going assuredly led to death, but remember: the way he is choosing also will lead,the way things are going geopolitically, to his physical death. More than likely. Probably.

Pray for him, and for his faith to be doubled each day.

14. Stormy says:

I have prayed that God would bless Davion Navar Henry with a loving family.

P.S. This is not from the Bible:
    Having heard that * God helps those who help themselves,* he decided on a course of action.

15. It absolutely breaks my heart to see a child, any child, in pain. Emotional pain all the more so. I separated and ultimately divorced my first husband when my daughter was very young (18 mos at separation) and that was the toughest decision of my life. There were very good reasons for the separation, but one thing that was right was that her father loved her. I was a student at the time (back in school for an advanced degree) and was able to see the counselor on campus for free as part of my tuition. I went twice a week for 3 months because I was so torn about the potential for damage to my daughter. Ultimately, the counselor got this bit of knowledge through to me: A child will prosper where they are loved, regardless of the family dynamics.

I pray that this boy finds someone who is willing to take him in, love him and show him how wonderful a family can be. How wonderful a parent’s love can be.

I have a dear friend who, after many, many years of trying to have a child finally was able to conceive. Her son is now 8 years old. Because she was older when she got pregnant (40) there was amniocentesis done. They discovered before this child was even born that he had an extra X chromosome on the 47th strand causing a condition known as XXY or Klinefelter’s Syndrome. This affects boys disproportionately and causes all manner of developmental issues (both mentally and physically) and causes violent behaviors and uncontrollable outbursts and rages. It is so tragic to watch this beautiful, and I do mean beautiful child, go into rages he has no control over. Because they were aware of the disorder they have been on top of it from day one.

We took him for week when he was 4 and our son was 2. His parents were going snow skiing and we brought the boys to Louisiana to visit my mother for the week and to take them to Mardi Gras. While he was a pleasure the majority of the time, you could see in his face when he was going to go into a rage – and usually it was over nothing that you could even see or name. He did throw a tree branch and hit our 2 year old in the head. When questioned, in all the innocence of a 4 year old, he told me that he did it on purpose, that he meant to hit him with it. He also, at one point, balled his fists up and attacked my 80 year old mother. That kind of behavior. As he’s grown and gotten bigger and stronger, the behavior had gotten more dangerous.

I often wonder, when I hear about boys in trouble for committing violent crimes, if they might not also suffer, unbeknownst to their guardians, from this same disorder. I know that testing has been done on incarcerated men and there is a finding of this syndrome in many violent offenders.

There are unknowns that can make taking a child you have no knowledge of into your home with your children. This same child I referenced above tried once to push my 4 year old son off of the top of a 10 ft high “fort” on a play set. Fortunately, I was right there and watching, but I shudder to think what may have happened if I hadn’t been. Very much like “The Good Son”.

• TX’c’m I have no doubts that he will be a “Good Son” with you at the helm.

None whatsoever.

My prayers to God for you and him both will cement that. Believe it.

• taqiyyologist says:

TXmom, you will teach him goodness. Of this I am sure.
        Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. — Prov 22:6

• taqiyyologist says:

Goid’s word is true. He may f*** up several times over the years. But….

when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Be assured.

• Thank you, Taqi – fortunately, this is my friend’s son and not my own. This is her and her huband’s cross to bear and I pray for them daily. That being said, she and her husband are wonderful parents and fellow conservative patriots. This is their only child and they are blessed to have high paying jobs/benefits and are able to get the best help money can buy. They love him to pieces and there is nothing they would not do to help him. It’s heartbreaking, though, to see what they have gone through, and will continue to go through. He was kicked out of 3 different very high priced private schools before 2nd grade for aggressive behavior and defiant behavior.

I wonder, though, what happens to the poor children afflicted with this horrible disorder who have no support system, no access to quality care and parents with no patience, tolerance or understanding to deal with it. It truly is heartbreaking because this child tries SO hard to control his actions – you can see it in his face, and it’s just beyond him. These are the kids who “snap” and do horrible things. I’ve seen documentaries about them. It’s very scary, really.

I have seen, firsthand, the result of “raise a child up in the way of Lord and when they are old they will not depart from it” in my almost 22 year old daughter. I gave her a solid Christian foundation and, while she professed to “doubt” as a teen-ager, she is now attending Mass regularly. She is solidly conservative and is a very responsible kid, holding down the same job for 3 years now and attending college. She rarely asks for any help with anything. She is an absolute joy. I hope we have as much success with our son. He is a little more difficult, a completely different personality type. He is sweet as the day is long, but every bit as hard-headed. He is going to have to learn everything the hard way. As a parent, that is heartbreaking to know. Some you can impart wisdom to and some you can’t. I could with her, can’t with him. Hopefully his lessons won’t be too painful.

16. mathmom76 says:

Does anyone know if someone has adopted him yet?

• ytz4mee says:

The adoption process is typically a long and difficult road, but I am sure that as a result of all the positive publicity, couples will come forward to start the process.

17. CrankyinAZ says:

Will certainly add this boy to my prayer list… every child deserves a good and loving home. Whether by birth or adoption… May God provide him this soon.

18. sandymich says:

Florida church flooded with calls after 15-year-old orphan asks for family to adopt him

• Sha says:

Thanks sandymich ! That young man might have been alone for most of his life but that positive attitude came from an influence in his life. I wonder if it has been the case worker who looks like she really cares when you see her fix his tie.

19. coop says:

Still thinking of Davion and praying that he finds a family soon…. Please let us all know when he is adopted. My heart beaks for this young man..

20. Shane says:

Saw that the process is rolling and Davion will be adopted. But there are 425,000 in foster care in this country. We need to pray for all of them as well.