Wednesday Open Thread – January 30th

Tomb of the Unknown ChristmasOur Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL.

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

226 Responses to Wednesday Open Thread – January 30th

1. ctdar says:

Morning all! Er how am I first? Sleepyheads :)

Always an agenda with Obama isn’t there… spent over a million tax paying $ in order to fly to/from Vegas because he wanted to give his immigration speech in front of Del Sol, a mostly Hispanic high school that is known for its low academic proficiency & drop
    out rates.
    “So while President Obama was preaching to a bunch of students stuck at an underachieving high school about how he wanted “action!” on illegal immigration this very instant, he seems more interested in using those kids as a photo op than helping them achieve their dreams.”

2. ctdar says:

Glad there’s progress on this case, start cleaning the scum out of congress! FBI late raid
    on office of a sen menendez(D/NJ) associate that owns plane that ferried the men to DR where they were with underage prostitutes.

3. stellap says:

I don’t know if anyone has posted this video of General Boykin, so I will, just in case:

4. stellap says:

From this morning’s email – true or not, I don’t know:

The world’s largest army… America ‘s hunters!
    I had never thought about this…

A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking conclusion:

There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin.
    Allow me to restate that number: 600,000

Over the last several months, Wisconsin’s hunters became the eighth largest army in
    the world.
    More men under arms than in Iran.

More than France and Germany combined.

These men deployed to the woods of a single American state, Wisconsin, to hunt with
    firearms, and no one was killed.

That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and Michigan’s 700,000 hunters, all of whom have now returned home safely. Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally establishes the fact that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world. And then add in the total number of hunters in the other 46 states. It’s millions more.

The point?

America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Hunting… it’s not just a way to fill the freezer. It’s a matter of national security.

That’s why all enemies, foreign and domestic, want to see us disarmed.

Food for thought, when next we consider gun control.

Overall it’s true, so if we disregard some assumptions that hunters don’t possess the same skills as soldiers, the question would still remain…
    What army of 2 million would want to face 30, 40, 50 million armed citizens???

(IF YOU AGREE, AS I DO, PASS IT ON. I FEEL GOOD THAT I HAVE AN ARMY OF MILLIONS WHO WOULD PROTECT OUR LAND AND I SURE DON’T WANT THE GOVERNMENT TAKING CONTROL OF THE POSSESSION OF FIREARMS)
    For the sake of our freedom, don’t ever allow gun control or confiscation of guns.

• texan59 says:

I’ve seen this several places, several times. The only problem I see is that while there are many who are armed, you basically have 30-60M individual armies. It looks good on paper, but in practice it might end up like attempting to herd cats. Mornin’ Pat. Coffee’s brewin’ this way. :)

• mung says:

What do you mean no one was killed? What about Bambi’s mom! :)

5. texan59 says:

Please pay attention to what is being said from your pulpit each week. Call out your clergy if you hear this kind of stuff and vote with your feet and wallet.

6. Sha says:

Good morning everyone…. Coffee.. Coffee…. anyone seen my Coffee ? :D

7. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ y’all!! 3 peeps voted against Lurch-for-S.O.S.

“..Three Republicans voted against Kerry: Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn of Texas, and Sen. James M. Inhofe (Okla).” :D

• texan59 says:

First I heard who #3 was. What a sham/shame, debacle.By the time he’s done, the lofo’s will think Hillary was the best evuh! Mornin’ Wee. :evil:

I had to re-read your post. I thought you were referring to Same Ol Sh*t. :roll:

• Bijou says:

Posted by the inimitable Sagman at Lucianne this morning:
      Kerry on Meet the Press

DAVID GREGORY: Welcome, sir.
      KERRY: Morning, Tim. Heard you passed away. Glad you’re back.
      GREGORY: Thanks. Hillary had Huma. Have you chosen Muslims for State, sir?
      KERRY: Yes: muslin ruffles for my office windows and muslin backdrops for videographic contrast in the studios.
      GREGORY: You support evenhandednes in the Mideast?
      KERRY: Yes. Hamas gets self-propelled howitzers and Israel gets Northrop’s Skyguard Defender™ to fry the shells in mid-flight. No harm, no foul.
      GREGORY: Any message for Abbas and Netanyahu?
      KERRY: Palestinians must acknowledge Israel’s determination to avoid another holocaust; Israelis must realize our support is unconditional unless they refuse to recognize a Palestinian state bent on their destruction.
      GREGORY: What’s happening in Gaza?
      KERRY: Where the pyramids are?
      GREGORY: That’s Giza. The West Bank?
      KERRY: Um, the savings and loan in Houston?
      GREGORY: Word’s out of a plan to resettle Israel’s population in a semi-autonomous enclave in Utah.
      KERRY: The president’s idea. Thinks it’ll drive the Mormons crazy. That’s off the record.
      GREGORY: We’re live, sir. Morale’s okay at State?
      KERRY: Hillary posted Morales to Honduras last week.
      GREGORY: Has the CIA captured Mullah Omar?
      KERRY: Yes. They’re waterballooning him; he hasn’t broken yet.
      GREGORY: What about the Taliban?
      KERRY: I’m transferring our Jamaican ambassador to Kabul. His message: ´´Come, Mr. Tali Ban. Dally, you’re bananas. Play this right, mon, we gonna go home.´´
      GREGORY: That spy swap with Russia. We gave ten back, we got four. Bad deal?
      KERRY: No. We get three more agents to be named later and a first round pick.
      GREGORY: Who’s really running China?
      KERRY: It’s Wen, not Hu. I’ve met both. Hu knows where, or Wen.
      GREGORY: Thanks for your time, sir.

8. texan59 says:

Hmmmm. Union official – convicted of embezzlement. I’m shocked I tell ya.

9. WeeWeed says:

Another reprieve, because white people are all raaaaayycciiiisssss, don’tcha know. I guess she won’t get hers until a few whites go first.

• WeeWeed says:

Oh, waaaaaahhhhh – she must be going to the “big leagues” at PMSNBC….. :roll:

• sundance says:

If Erin Burnett is moved to the morning CNN show, replacing O’Brien, then I wonder if that opens a prime time spot for Tapper? Hmmmmm…..

CNN actually has two timeslots now. 7pm (Erins old show) and either 8pm or 10pm when AC 360 runs twice. Interesting.

10. ctdar says:

Loyola Teacher pushing indoctrination of hate & socialism via required VanJones seminar :evil:

11. ctdar says:

Mary Landrieu, D/LA on the floor of the Senate illustrating a new sign language or form of congressional ebonics? Whatever, just remember its all the fault of Fox News :evil:

12. ctdar says:

New technology via military & nasa… but is it a cargo or spy blimp?

13. stellap says:

Love this, from George Takei’s Facebook page:

SuperDad photo SuperDad_zps7dc2d5d8.jpg

14. ctdar says:

Ok, seriously WTF?

Prayers were tossed out of school setting forever ago..now it’s ok for Muslims to do?
    Where are the atheists when you need them??
    Unbelievable, US Schools being turned into mosques :evil:

• stellap says:

The rules are for me and not for thee – doncha know? We have a community college in Dearborn that was putting in foot baths for Muslim students (at our expense, of course).

• ctdar says:

That’s just wrong, where is the rally cry for equality?

• czarowniczy says:

Having spent far more time in the Mideast than my sinuses would have preferred, I can say that their feet are the least of their problems. Maybe they can dunk some of their fungible religious doctrine too, that could use some cleaning around the edges.

• texan59 says:

I’ve posted this on my FB page. It shall be interesting to see what I’ve stirred up by this evening. :evil:

• mung says:

I kind of get tired of the prayer isn’t allowed in school BS. This is not true. Organized prayer was. And by organized that means, staff forcing students to pray or even suggesting that they do. When I was in school in the late 1980′s, we had a student run prayer group that met in the library, had bible study and prayed before the bell rang. No one ever said one word to us about it. I even took a bible as literature class.

So seriously, no one can stop you from praying anywhere, no one can stop you from having a group prayer anywhere, the only thing that is against the law is forcing someone to pray.

• texan59 says:

Please share with me where non-Muslims get time out of their school day to have organized prayers.

• mung says:

If they are giving them the time then they would have to give it to anyone. If they don’t then that is where the issue would be. So I challenge someone from that school to request their prayer time and see what happens. Is there anything from anyone saying that someone was denied the same time as these students? If not then we are only speculating.

• ctdar says:

Why is organized prayer ok for Muslims but not Christians or Jews?

• mung says:

It is not organized. Please try to understand. The staff of the school can not force anyone to pray. That is the limits of the constitution. If a group of Scientologists wants to have some kind of get together, they can’t stop them either. Freedom of religion and separation of church and state, that is what we are talking about here. Like it or not, the reason organized prayer was outlawed from schools was because everyone was being forced to pray a Christian prayer. Lets reverse the roles and see how your thoughts would change. Lets say that children were being forced to pray to Allah, would you still be saying that removing organized prayer from school is bad?

• michellc says:

When I was in school, we started every day with prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance. You were not forced to do it and as a matter of fact if you didn’t want to participate you were allowed to get up and walk out into the hall.
            If a teacher tried to lead a class into prayer today she would lose her job. So yeah you’ll never be able to stop kids from praying, you can’t stop them from meeting at the flag pole in the morning holding a group prayer, but heaven forbid if a teacher joins in. I would also like to see what would happen if a kid lead prayer in class in front of everyone. Because now they have to have a meeting place like the flag pole where they don’t offend anyone. That is what is BS.

You can call it bs, but those of us older than you remember what it was like before the anti-God crowd came along.

• mung says:

OK, my point exactly. So, lets say back then the prominent religion in this country was Buddhism and you as a child were forced to do a Buddhist prayer every morning, wouldn’t you be a little upset by it? Wouldn’t you be happy when they said that you no longer had to be singled out because you weren’t Buddhist? If you were at a later time allowed to leave class for a few minutes to have a prayer group with your Christian friends, would that mean that the school was becoming a monastery?

Why is it that we as Christians feel that we have some kind of preference in this country when it comes to religion? It sounds like we are the ones asking for special treatment.

• michellc says:

No, you don’t get the point. We were not forced.

But whatever, I refuse to argue this with you. Other than to say I as a Christian will fight for God until the day it kills me and if others want to be PC and support Islam they do it at their own demise. We will all answer for our actions someday and I sure as heck don’t want to be before God and answer why I didn’t stand up for prayer in school, why I didn’t stand up for God’s children in school and why I didn’t stand up for God.

• mung says:

Yes, because God and Jesus are going to be so proud of your treatment of other people in their name. I mean really, Jesus’ whole life was dedicated to telling people of other religions how horrible they were.

• michellc says:

Excuse me just what treatment of other people are you talking about?

Fighting for God, God’s children and prayer and being against Islam is treating people badly?
                    I think you need to read the Bible. God never said for us to associate with false religions and warned us against them quite often.

• ctdar says:

Ok maybe I was not fully prepped on definition of organized which i considered an event that involves  more than 1 individual regardless of whether or not school has a say in the matter. According to below quote from original link I posted, yes this school in essence is allowing or condoning  the prayer group because officials are excusing the students from regular class therefore I consider that organized and should be considered unconstitutional.
            “A high school near Washington DC has taken a rare step of accommodating Muslim prayer during class hours. Parkdale High School now allows a handful of its students to be excused to pray. The decision has made some Christian staffers “unhappy”.”
            I cite quotes from article below regarding Religion in the public schools:
            “The only type of prayer that is constitutionally permissible is private, voluntary student prayer that does not interfere with the school’s educational mission. ”
            “However, school officials must not promote or encourage a student’s personal prayer. ”

So yes I agree there is a case for someone to challenge the Muslim prayer time in this school.

• czarowniczy says:

OMA! SILENCE! I keeeelllll you! (copyrighted but fair use under the infidel, Jews and monkeys (in space) doctrine)

• mung says:

Based on what I posted below they will not restrict it to Muslims. Is it any worse then letting kids out of class to worship their school mascot at a pep rally?

• ctdar says:

Mung,
                “Going back to your original “the sky is falling post” you said that they are turning schools into mosques. That is not the case at all.” ???
                So now as a true & typical liberal you insult me as last resort. Why are you so adamant that what i said is not the case.? These days i would not put anything past the muslim world, the msm and progressive like individuals with their agendas & neither should you. If that was what was happening in my kids school I would pull them from that school and send them elsewhere as I’m sure many other families would as well which would leave certain like minded students/families….
                Sorry it’s not ok with me to go along with whatever the progs desire which as per history involves absolutely nothing that this great country was founded on nor include a shred of evidence referring to God, or inherent individual rights.
                you are entitled to have your opinion as I have mine but nothing will ever move me to your way of thinking.

• michellc says:

I’ve been trying my best to keep my opinions to myself, but Mung seems to turn to insults quite frequently and he seems to take a prog view on many things quite often.
                  I’m not insulting him by calling him a prog, because I don’t know what he is, but I do know there are certain posters on here, he quite frequently insults and you seem to be one of those he often targets.

• ctdar says:

I don’t think calling anyone (that fits the bill thru their past comments) prog/progressive is insulting…that’s just a name, just like I’m not insulted when someone calls me a conservative or a republican. :)

• mung says:

I am very sorry that if I don’t agree with your point of view that you find me a bad person. I am also sorry that you can’t deal with the fact that I am blunt when it comes to people spewing hate because they are unable to see things from an objective point of view. I suppose I need to either find or make a place to have discussions with people who aren’t consumed with paranoid delusions.

• mung says:

I know I won’t every move you to my way of thinking because my way of thinking is based on logic and reason instead of fear and paranoia. I am not a liberal by any means, I am a moderate. I believe in our constitution. I believe that if people drop the hate filled posturing, that we might actually be able to have a country we can be proud of instead of the downward spiral we are on. I believe in the basic principals that God and Jesus have given us. The most basic of those is treat others the way you want to be treated. That is something that you don’t seem to grasp. You have an elitist attitude and feel that you are better than everyone else and you deserve special treatment, yet you criticize others for the very same attitude.

We has humans have a choice either continue down the path to self destruction we are currently on, or realize that we are all the same and all have value. I for one try my best to treat everyone as my equal until they prove to me that they can not do the same.

• ctdar says:

really? you wonder if it is any different for kids to “worship a school mascot at a pep rally”??
                Wow, you need to get out more
                Mung

• mung says:

Asked if Logan would have to accommodate any student who asked for class time off to pray, he said that any school district “would be wise to treat everyone the same way.” Arguing that Islam requires daily prayer as a reason to accommodate Muslims and not other students of other religions is ill advised, he said.

“And that’s one of the problems with accommodation, of course,” he said. “Once you start down that road then you really are in a bind.”

Furthermore, picking and choosing which Muslim students can pray during class time may be allowable under the law, he said, but “I don’t think that’s a good idea.

So there you go. They will not restrict based on religion, if they have good grades and parent permission ANYONE of ANY religion can get the same accommodations.

15. stellap says:

Interesting animated and narrated atlas – history of the USA:

16. ctdar says:

Well when is it enough Rahm Emanuel? This happened in the city under YOUR leadership? What if it was your family member that was merely taking cover from the rain and now in a body bag? January of the new year is not yet over…what does Hadiya Pendleton murder make the number now… Let’s see according to the stats there was 18 by Jan 10 and along with the 8 last week number is 26+. :evil:

17. ctdar says:

sound familiar? Seems like the milk farm story just substitute in electricity:

18. Josh says:

As I research, I see more and more links to stories out of aljazerra.
    I linked once the other day, will not do it again.
    Nope. Ain’t gonna’ do it…

19. Josh says:

Texas District Approves Employee Handguns in Schools

“Some North Texas school employees will be allowed to bring guns on campus.

Leaders in the Van Independent School District in Texas passed a plan this week to allow some employees to carry concealed handguns inside schools.

Those employees must have a concealed handgun license and go through ongoing intensive training.

School board leaders won’t reveal how many employees will have guns, citing a need to keep those details from any possible intruders.

Information from the district did not detail when the plan would begin.”

20. Josh says:

New judge in the Fort Hood shooting case is to decide this week whether to spare Maj. Nidal Hasan a possible death sentence.

21. ctdar says:

“Gun supporters heckle Newtown father”….NOT. Read article & watch video…almost smells like a setup to me as this father has been very anti gun from the start, one of the original parents to describe graphic wounds, has spoken out the most. Why doesn’t someone ask him if there was someone in the school at the moment of the shootings that was able to legally carry a firearm for protection would he think different?

22. michellc says:

I’ve heard some parts of the hearing going on today. I heard Gifford’s husband say the shooter had a 33 round magazine and shot 33 people. I thought 20 people were shot.

I heard Leahy say that there was no federal law against straw purchases. There is a federal law against selling a gun knowingly to a felon, so wouldn’t that cover straw purchases?

Sounds like people sure like to make up their own facts these days.

Grassley made me chuckle though when he said when people say you don’t need a magazine holding more rounds than you need to shoot a deer that deer don’t shoot back.

• ctdar says:

If you do a quick search every single story states that he had multiple clips and changed them before using all the rounds. Logic is taken from the video games since its hard to keep track of how many bullets have been shot and you fo not want to run out without warning.

• michellc says:

I found the transcript and I heard him wrong, he didn’t say 33 people were shot, he said there were 33 wounds. Although every news story I’ve read said there were 20 shots fired.
        Here was his statement:
        On January 8th of 2011, a young man walked up to Gabby at her constituent event in Tucson, leveled his gun and shot her through the head. He then turned down the line and continued firing. In 15 seconds, he emptied his magazine. It contained 33 bullets and there were 33 wounds.

KELLY: As the shooter attempted to reload, he fumbled. A woman grabbed the next magazine and others restrained him.

Gabby was the first victim. Christina Taylor Green, nine years old, born on 9/11 of 2001, was shot with the 13th bullet or after. And others followed.

• michellc says:

I’m reading through the transcripts, Leahy is kind of testy today. For a quick comparison.
          Leahy questioning LaPierre
          Leahy:Let’s make — let’s make it easier, though. I’m talking about gun shows. Should we have mandatory background checks at gun shows for sales of weapons?

LAPIERRE: If you’re a dealer, that’s already the law. If you’re talking…

LEAHY: That’s not my question. Please, Mr. LaPierre, I’m not trying to play games here. But, if you could, (inaudible) just answer my question.

LAPIERRE: Senator, I do not believe the way the law is working now, unfortunately, that it does any good to extend the law to private sales between hobbyists and collectors.

LEAHY: OK, so you do not support…

(CROSSTALK)

LEAHY: … mandatory background checks in all instances at gun shows?

LAPIERRE: We do not, because the fact is, the law right now is a failure the way it’s working. The fact is, you have 76,000-some people that have been denied under the present law. Only 44 were prosecuted. You’re letting them go. They’re walking the streets…

(CROSSTALK)

LEAHY: And do you — then, I understand, back in 1999, you said no loopholes anywhere for anyone. But now you do not support background checks for all buyers of firearms?

LAPIERRE: I think the National Instant Check System, the way it’s working now, is a failure. Because this administration is not prosecuting the people that they catch.

They’re not — 23 states are not even putting the mental records of those adjudicated mentally incompetent into the system. Now, assume that if you don’t prosecute and they try to buy a gun, even if you catch ‘em, and you let ‘em walk away, to assume they’re not going to get a gun — they’re criminals, they’re homicidal maniacs, and they’re mentally ill.

I mean, we all know that homicidal maniacs, criminals and the insane don’t — don’t — don’t — don’t… LEAHY: Mr. LaPierre…

LAPIERRE: … don’t abide by the law.

LEAHY: Mr. LaPierre, my time is up. With all due respect, that was not the question I asked. Nor did you answer it.

LAPIERRE: But I think it is the answer. I honestly do. I — the fact…

LEAHY: All right. It’s your testimony.

Grassley questioning Chief Johnson
          Grassley:Chief Johnson and Professor Kopel, listen while I read, and I’ll ask each of you a question. Recently, Iowa law enforcement officials were quoted in an article — that I ask consent to include in the record — entitled, “Law Officers Tell Congressmen Mental Health Issues More Important than Gun Ban,” end of quote.

In it, a bipartisan group of elected sheriffs and police chiefs offered candid assessments of current legislative proposals. One chief of police stated, quote, “I think banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines is strictly a feel-good measure. It’s not going to accomplish anything,” end of quote.

Instead, they asked for options for getting mentally ill individuals treatment. Chief Jim Clark, Ottumwa, Iowa, added, quote, “We identify some that are mentally ill. They need treatment. But we can’t access the system.”

So Chief Johnson, what options do your officers have, from your experience — because I quoted in Iowa — (inaudible) currently have in dealing with individuals they believe to have untreated mental illness?

J. JOHNSON: It is a major problem in America today, in my jurisdiction. I’m here today to talk about guns and ways to stop gun violence. We know a comprehensive background check that picks up these mental health issue disqualifiers will make our nation a safer place.

We know that banning high-capacity magazines will make our police officers safer. We’ve lost dozens of police officers in America due to assault weapons. And we’ve seen tragedies all across this great nation (inaudible) Newtown, in Webster, New York — an off-duty police officer — we’re never off duty, he’s a police officer — shot down by an assault weapon. It’s a serious problem, and it must be addressed.
          ———————————
          Now imo LaPierre did a better job of answering the question asked of him than Johnson did, yet Leahy puffs up like a banty rooster and Grassley just moves on to his next question.

• michellc says:

OMG! Feinstein has been watching way too many movies.

Feinstein: I have become very concerned as I looked at the bill before, in ‘93, at the technological improvement in these weapons over this — these years. And one of the things that we’ve tried to do in this new bill is prevent that from happening in the future. In looking at the AR-15 magazine on a device, which is legal, called a slide fire, I note that with practice, a shooter may control his rate of fire from 400 to 800 rounds per minute, or shoot two, three, or four rounds at a time, and just as easily fire single shots. So this is a weapon, and I think Ms. Trotter’s right, it apparently is versatile. It apparently is rather easy to use, but it has tremendous philosophy — velocity, and tremendous killing power,and I suspect tears young bodies apart.

Additionally, it’s my understanding that Mrs. Lanza actually gave this gun to her son. Is that correct?
            ———————————————–
            400 to 800 rounds per minute? 2, 3 or 4 rounds at a time? Where can I sign up for one of these new guns? Does she believe her own bs?

Oh so I guess we are to believe the Mom handed her son a gun and said kill me please son? To my knowledge there have been no reports whether these guns were in a safe or not. I know many have blamed her, but where is the proof that she took no precautions to keep the guns out of her son’s hands?

• michellc says:

I think I found what she’s talking about.

Not sure how she thinks 2, 3 or 4 rounds come out at the same time. Also not sure where she came up with the 400 to 800 rounds per/minute figure. I couldn’t find anything about the number of rounds you could fire on their website.

However, the BATF approved them in 2010.

• texan59 says:

The only way any weapon can fire 400-800 rpm is if it’s a fully automatic weapon. There are very few of those available, and not just anyone can legally own an automatic, although it is possible for a relatively normal sane person to go through the process and be approved. The main problem is finding someone who is willing to sell the one they have. After watching the video, the “slidefire” is simply a device that lessens the blowback from the weapon. Nothing more, nothing less.

• michellc says:

I was having a hard time getting the video to play, so I didn’t watch it, just read through the site.
                But I’m assuming that is what the psycho is talking about. I had never heard of a slide fire before today.
                I know someone who has one for sale or at least he says he’d sell it for the right price to the right person, but the price is more than I want to pay and I really don’t want to give the ATF permission to enter my home at anytime they please.

• ctdar says:

I’m sorry thought you were talkin about Newtown :oops:

• czarowniczy says:

There’s no law against a ‘straw purchase’ as the straw purchase concept doesn’t exist until a prohibited person receives the firearm. When I worked with ATF (don’t ask, I was ordered to) they’d review handgun purchases almost daily to see if the purchase met a certain screening criteria and, if it did, an ATF agent or local LEA would go out and question the buyer. Let’s say the purchaser was a black female, 4′ 10″, 95 pounds and bought a .44 magnum or a S&W .50 AE, just as an example. There are other screens but I don’t want to risk having people in Sears suits knocking on my door. Anyway, she’d be asked why she bought the gun, if she had it there right now and, if not, where it was, and if she bought it from someone else. Right there she could be tagged for lying to a Federal LEA, conspiracy, transferring a weapon to a prohibited person and a host of other violations. An example of how we don’t need new laws, just use the ones on hand. Problem is that there were so few prosecutions – wouldn’t be unusual for the agents to find the gun was bought for a felon boyfriend, they’d go to the felon’s house and get the gun and the buyer wouldn’t be prosecuted. Hell, we had one well-known felonious rapper who was (excuse pun) wrapped up in an illegal gun deal trying to get a gun on board an airplane post-911 and the Feds and local cops let it drop.

23. stellap says:

Shot for Teacher

Heartwarming education news from the brokest state in the world’s brokest nation: in what promises to be the biggest high school production since the Glee season finale, today Cary-Grove HS in suburban Chicago will conduct a mass murder drill, featuring simulated gunfire from a starter pistol.

24. mung says:

Any thoughts on a Springfield .22 rifle for a plinking gun? .22 is about the only ammo you can still find, so I am limiting shooting other ammo for now.

• howie says:

You can get a pellet gun for 100 bucks with 1250 fps at the muzzle. .17. .22 ammo is rare nowdays.

• mung says:

I see a lot more .22 ammo than anything else besides shotgun shells. $10.00 a box for .22 long.
        Planning to go to the range this weekend and shoot some 5 stand and spend a little time plinking. I don’t want to blow through too much of my 9mm ammo so I am looking for something cheap to shoot. If I want to shoot pellets, I will use my pumpmaster 760 in the back yard.

• michellc says:

.22 is almost non-existent around here and when you can find it the price is crazy compared to what it was just last month. For instance right before Christmas I paid a little over $20 for a brick. I can’t even find a brick now and 50 rounds are going for over $15.

Even online you can’t find .22.

So when you say $10/box, where are you finding it and how many rounds?

• howie says:

They also have little size .22 that shoots shorts for cheap.

25. Sha says:

Does anyone know anything about the best life insurance for older people. I have about 5,000 on my mom but its not enough for a funeral these days it’s with globe life . I never thought to talk to her about it until my dad died two years ago with out any life insurance.

• stellap says:

Is her policy (the one she has now) whole life? If so, it may be worth more than face value, depending on how long it has been in effect. My mom had a $500 policy, but it was worth more than $2,500 by the time she died.

• texan59 says:

If you are looking for a burial policy, the best place to go would be to the funeral home you plan to use. It could be very difficult to get any type of traditional life insurance if your mother is very far north of 65, or, if she has any kind of illness. As Stella said, check the type of policy she currently has in place. FYI, you may be able to do a pretty basic service for near the amount you have in place.

• Sha says:

texan59: I always wondered if i pay for everything up front and something happens to the funeral home where they change owners or something what happens to your money do you just loose it. My mom is on insulin for diabetes she is 67.

• texan59 says:

The policies are written through an insurance company, but typically administered by the funeral home. You really only need to make sure the insurance company is OK. Just ask them at the funeral home what would happen just in case.

26. stellap says:

Absolutely brilliant post by Iowahawk over at Breitbart:

it gave me an epiphany: that application form for owning a gun could double as a dandy Illinois voter registration form. After all, if you are too unnaturalized, young, criminal, nuts and/or camera shy to own a gun, what business do you have in a voting booth? Therefore:

Resolved: the eligibility criteria for voting should be exactly the same as the eligibility criteria for owning a gun.

Feel free to explain why not.

27. mung says:

Just a general question as I seem to be getting ganged up on again. Is it some kind of requirement here that you have to be so far right wing that you are endanger of falling off the edge in order to post? If I don’t hate non white people and am not tolerant of other religions, am I somehow a left wing liberal or worse a socialist?

I feel like a man with no place to go, no political party to support, and no one that understands moderation. I am a gun owner who has applied for a CCW permit, I work for a defense contractor, I am pro-choice, and I am anti nanny state government. I am still registered a Democrat, but vote 99% Republican. The two main reasons I haven’t changed my party is one, I like to throw off the polls and two because I can’t bring myself to switch to the Republican party in the state they are in right now. I am a Christian who has been part of many different Christian churches. While I support my church, I do not believe it is my right to condemn others for their choices of religion. The only thing I hate, is that people hate others.

What happened to the country I love, that if I don’t buy 100% into someone’s philosophy, there is something wrong with me? The constitution gives me the right to be who I choose to be as long as I don’t infringe on other people’s rights to be who they want to be. I am no better or worse, no more important or less important than anyone else on this planet. I do not have the right to judge others as they do not have the right to judge me, this is something that is the core of what Jesus taught. The other core teachings of Jesus and any other religion are based around having empathy for your fellow man. Every day, I see less and less empathy and more and more hate. So when I stand up for my fellow man, I do this because empathy is at my core, I can feel their pain as others say vile things about them just because they have different viewpoints.

Is there any sense of empathy and community left or are we destined to implode as a species?

• mung says:

Sorry should have been intolerant of other religions in the first paragraph.

• stellap says:

You seem reasonable to me and, as far as I’m concerned, you have a right to your opinions and beliefs. I disagree with you on pro-choice, but you have a right to your opinion. When did someone “gang up” on you? Was it just a difference of opinion, or was someone actually offensive?

I dislike a lot of the comments about race that I see on the GZ thread, but I don’t comment much on that thread anyway. Just because a lot of blacks hate whites is no excuse, in my mind, to belittle people who aren’t the same color that I am.

• michellc says:

I’m sorry Mung you seem to think me and CTDAR ganged up on you. You seem to attack her/him personally quite a bit.
      You have the right to your opinion but to tell her/him she was posting a sky is falling post over Muslims in school was uncalled for. You have called her/him delusional several times, paranoid several times, conspiracy whacko several times.
      Just in the discussion you are now talking about, you said I was mistreating people and that I was spewing hate by saying that I would fight for prayer, God and God’s children and against Islam. Because I have to answer to God and I will not stand before God and have to answer why I didn’t.
      So that goes both ways, you can’t personally insult folks then complain because they disagree with you.

I don’t think anyone has said you shouldn’t post, but if you disagree with a person and they and others defend their opinion and don’t take kindly to being accused of spewing hate and mistreating people and being consumed with paranoid delusions then you should understand they have the right to state their opinion as well.

I do have an honest question for you though and it is not ganging up against you, how do you as a Christian support the murder of unborn children?

• mung says:

“how do you as a Christian support the murder of unborn children?” Did I say I supported killing unborn children? It is pretty simple, it is not my place to tell someone else what they should or shouldn’t do with their body. That is between them and their maker.

BTW, you should go back and read some of your responses to me. You know nothing about me but have not treated me in the way you expect me to treat you.

• stellap says:

I just went back to read the entire conversation. Mung, you joined a conversation already in progress, and expressed your opinion. It seems to me that you expect everyone to agree with you, and get touchy if they don’t. You must have known when you joined that conversation what would happen, so I can’t see why you are all upset now about it. Read what Tex has to say (below). The conversation here is mild compared to what I have encountered at Daily Kos, Huff Post and others. Insults, cursing etc.

• michellc says:

I’m sorry, I have called you no names and have only gotten testy with you when you’ve gotten testy with me.

Do you agree an unborn child is still a child? You can’t support abortion and say you don’t support killing unborn children. There is no gray area it is the murder of a child and when the woman has a child inside her it is no longer just her body.

What a woman does with her body talk is prog talk. I’m sorry but that is the truth.

Do you support welfare, food stamps, unions? Do you support cuts to the military? Those are honest questions and not attacks.

• mung says:

See this is where the black and white view of the world doesn’t always work. Just because I feel it is not my place to tell someone else how to live their life does not mean I am pro-abortion. There is middle ground there. Let me ask you this, are you anti-birth control? Are you OK with having sex when it is not used for procreation?

Do I support welfare and food stamps? Yes with every paycheck the government forces me to support it. Now if you mean am I OK with people getting food stamps and welfare? Again I am a moderate. I feel that there are some people who truly cannot support themselves and do need government support. That being said, I think it is being abused and serious reform needs to happen. I am 100% behind drug testing for welfare recipients, I honestly believe that in order to get assistance there should be some kind of work involved. I don’t care if it is licking envelopes, there has to be something they can do to earn their support. Unions had their place at one time in our country, but now they have become corrupt and have destroyed our industry. If you read my post you would know I work for a defense contractor, what do you think my stance is on cuts to the military? I do like to eat you know.

• stellap says:

I used to take the same position you do on pro-choice, but I eventually found that it was contradictory. This is what I mean – if I believe abortion is murder (and I do), I can’t condone anyone murdering a child. It is legal, but I personally cannot look the other way. Once a woman is pregnant, ending her pregnancy is taking the life of another. Every abortion stops a beating heart. Let me ask you – what do you think of abortion late in pregnancy? Partial-birth abortion of almost full-term “fetuses”? These are babies that would probably live if they weren’t murdered by an abortion doctor. How can anyone condone that – I just don’t understand.

• mung says:

Unless there is a risk to the mother, I don’t think there should be any late term abortions. Again, I really don’t think any abortion is the best choice for anyone in most situations. Let me ask you, what about the case of rape? Should a woman have to keep the baby then?

• michellc says:

Does it make a baby any less a baby? I used to get hung up on that, but then I had to be honest with myself if I believe it’s a baby and I do and it is then how can I say oh it’s okay kill that baby since it was conceived in violence. When you look at it honestly then it’s pretty black and white, a baby is a baby and sucking it out in pieces is ending the life for a baby in the most horrible way ever. If someone took a newborn baby and dismembered it they would be convicted of murder and everyone would say how could a person be that evil, but yet think it’s just a medical procedure that causes no pain and ends no life when it’s done to a baby in the womb.

• texan59 says:

When one gets on a blog you had better bring your big boy pants and be ready to take a kick in the pants if you espouse ideas that are different than the majority. You know the type of folks who post here. Several months ago I posted a comment about an article on MotherJones website. I responded back to a bunch of vitriolic attacks. After awhile I just let it go. I knew when I went on there that I was gonna be the outsider. I was ready for it and knew it was coming. It was fun for awhile, but I knew that I was not gonna convince anyone there, but I didn’t care either. As long as you back up your thoughts with facts you will do fine. Be careful when espousing “facts” that might just be opinion. Everyone on here has pissed somebody else off at one time or another. There are a lot of sharp people who can back up their swagguh with facts documented from multiple sources. If any of us come in here with just one source and swear it as gospel it’s a good way to get some guff. For example, there are some who swear by anything they read on Infowars and Alex Jones. I think he’s a couple fries short of a happy meal. But that’s MY opinion. You just have to remember this, we are guests of this blog. Just like being a guest in someone’s home. If I invite you to my barbecue and you start irritating my other guests, I’m gonna say something to you. If you keep doing so, I’m gonna ask you to leave. If you don’t leave I’m either gonna whup ya, or call the cops and make sure you don’t come back.

• mung says:

I deal with most stuff just fine. I am just a little disappointed that I though I had found a place where there were intelligent people having meaningful discussions about great topics and searching for the truth. For the most part that seems to be the case, but then there are times when it seems like I am getting the same treatment as I would if I post on a pro Trayvon site. If you look above, I was called all kinds of names and labeled as a liberal and a progressive because I am too tolerant.

• michellc says:

Whoah Mung, I think you need to read above. You were not called names, you said CTDAR was posting the SKY is falling posts. You said I was spewing hate and that I would answer for my treatment of people. You said CTDAR was consumed with paranoid delusions.
          Yes I said I wouldn’t call you a prog because I didn’t want to insult you, but my opinion is you often have prog views, such as being pro-choice for one.

• mung says:

So you think that it is rational to say that they are turning the school into a mosque because they have given accommodations to allow 8 minutes of prayer? You don’t think that is akin to saying the sky is falling?

“Other than to say I as a Christian will fight for God until the day it kills me and if others want to be PC and support Islam they do it at their own demise.” Don’t you think that is hateful talk? Do you understand that Jesus taught people to be tolerant, do you know the people who were his disciples? Where in the bible does it say to chastise those who don’t have your same view on religion? Did Jesus force people to follow him?

• michellc says:

No I do not think that is akin to the sky is falling. The crazy thing is I’ve witnessed since we were attacked by Islam terrorists this country bending over backwards to go out of their way to not offend Islam. At the same time I’ve witnessed Christians being crapped on even more than they were before 9/11 in this country.

To say as a Christian I will fight for God is hateful talk? Should I just say it’s okay, this country doesn’t need God, would that make me a good little soldier? Supporting Islam is at their own demise? Hmmm funny to me supporting a religion that wants to kill you, yeah that’s kind of supporting your own demise. Do you pay attention to what Islam is going into our schools teaching? Remember the guy who shot the military officer outside the recruitment officer? Have you listened to his father tell the story how Islam brainwashed him?
              Did I say I was forcing anyone to follow Jesus? I can’t force anyone to accept Jesus anymore than God will force anyone to accept Him. I said when we were in school, we started off the day with prayer, we were not forced and anyone not wanting to participate were allowed not to and were allowed to not even have to stay in the room if they didn’t want to listen to it. How was that forcing anyone to do anything? Now if a kid wants to have prayer, they must go to a designated spot as to not offend anyone.

• mung says:

So if it was kids going out to read from the Torah that would be OK? It’s only because they are Muslims that it is the problem? Because an extremist sect lead by someone with a serious mental disorder decided to attack us all Muslims are evil? You do realize that Islam does not teach them to kill right? Using the same logic we must all be like Jim Jones because he was a Christian.

I am not saying to bend over backwards for Islam at all. What I am saying is that this country based on freedom of religion. It was started because people were being persecuted in England for their religious beliefs. Do you propose that we are able to pick and choose which amendments are worth following? What I am proposing is only that we remember why the country was started and not persecute people based on their religion.

• michellc says:

If you want to be honest this country was based on Judeo-Christianity. That might not fit in with your ideology but it’s the truth.
                  Also there is something that I just re-read that you said that really bothers me. The day I accepted Jesus was a very special moment in my life. Not something I take so lightly as to joke, “I got the t-shirt, full blown rolling in the aisles born again.”

As for Islam did not teach them to kill right, you might want to read the Koran. You might want to watch some of the hundreds of videos out there on what they’re taught in their schools.

I’m going to be honest with you eventually progressives always reveal themselves and you’re getting real close.
                  What exactly is conservative to you? You do realize being conservative is a lot more than being pro-gun right?
                  I know a man in Tulsa who has a blog called Bart something or the other, he’s one of the biggest dyed in blue loud mouth progs there are, Hillary is his idol to the point I’m sure he goes to sleep every night looking at her picture on his ceiling. Yet he’s pro-gun because in his words he will have guns as long as republicans have them and he has to live surrounded by them. He thinks he’s real smart too, he thinks he’s always right, he thinks he beats the monkeys as he calls them all the time and shows how stupid they are in his opinion. Sundance could dance circles around him and it would be an interesting debate with the exception after he got beat to a pulp he would claim victory.
                  I also know a woman who does not own a gun, has never owned a gun and never wants to own a gun who is the most conservative woman I’ve ever met. One of the reasons she is conservative is because of her strong faith.

• stellap says:

So when you called what CTDAR said was “BS”, that was part of a meaningful conversation?

• mung says:

It meant a lot to me:) OK so maybe that was a bad choice of words, but I have heard so many people say similar things without having a true understanding of what is allowed in school and what is not.

• Sharon says:

Conflict is not my game. At all. But I will point out to you what you just did with this comment, mung.

You “thought you had found a place where there were intelligent people having meaningful discussions about great topics and searching for the truth….For the most part….”

Do you really not see how that approach is just damning with faint praise? That kind of thing leaks out in your comments frequently.

And, btw, your comments about how Jesus dealt with other religions are based on some assumptions you’re apparently making, and on either a lack of understanding or complete ignorance about both the Old and New Testaments and the plain record of how Jesus actually did deal with the foundations of religion(s) and the definition(s) of religion; how He eviscerated, publicly, the spokesmen of His contemporaries in religious matters and His warnings to and declarations about those who didn’t accept His definitions.

I fear you’ve mistaken Christianity as just one more religion among many and mistakenly relegated Jesus to the status of just one more softy “religious leader” among peers. Those of us who follow Jesus, the Christ, often make a poor presentation and even poorer arguments for His case, His cause and His person; but it’s a very foolish (or ignorant) man indeed who projects onto Him the particular failings of those who are His, and acts as though He must inherently be the sum of their parts.

I’ve had very little sleep for several days, my brain is mush, my part of verbal conflict or heated conversation at the moment would not be productive. You see yourself as being very tolerant. Let me assure you, you are not. And that’s not even the most difficult part of it–you defend your intolerance by shouting accusations of ignorance at others. In your case, friend mung, that’s really not a good idea.

This is not a Christian site, but it is a site where ignorant statements about Christianity will not be given more attention than they deserve, but neither will they be allowed to stand as alternative authorities in matters addressed by Christianity.

• mung says:

I am not saying that God and then Jesus did not have a hard stance on other religions. What I am saying is that they, the trinity, never intended people to look down on those who were not following the practices of their religion. Jesus was much more tolerant than then God was in the old testament writings, that is for sure. Maybe I am just a little different than most people, but I firmly believe that if Jesus were here today and saw the things people were doing in his name, he wouldn’t be too happy. I guess there are two schools of thought, one says you can kill anyone who won’t convert and the other says you can show them the love and kindness that Jesus taught and hope that through that they decide that Christianity is the way for them.

• Sharon says:

“Jesus was much more tolerant than then God was in the old testament writings….”

Oh, dear. You have just illustrated my previous point(s). In spades.

Your personal theology is seriously lacking Biblical foundations. That’s not unusual at all–Biblical illiteracy is common so please don’t take that personally. And I take no pleasure in noticing again how your complete ignorance of Christology (and how the theophanies of Christ in OT, inform solid Christology) impacts your assumptions.

You are just so blasted all-knowing and all-seeing, so right. So very, very, “right” and willing to endlessly explain to us dimmer lights why you are.

Actually, you’re likable enough, generally speaking…but you got some issues, man.

• mung says:

Everybody has issues. I am by no means an expert on the bible. I have taken classes on the bible, I have been to many a bible study, I have watched just about everything on TV about the bible, and I have read the bible. Just as with many things the bible is open to the reader’s interpretation. What I have gotten from my reading is that Jesus wants us to be tolerant. I look at stories like the Good Samaritan and statements like “remove the log from your own eye before you try to remove the splinter from your brother’s eye” as being very profound. I do not recall any stories in the bible about Jesus making the kind of comments about people that followed the other religions that are even close to the comments that people make today.

• stellap says:

How about, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man comes unto the Father but by Me.” To me, that means that following any religion, other than acceptance of Christ as the Son of God, condemns you to Death Eternal.

• mung says:

Agree 100% but never did he say, treat anyone who doesn’t follow this like the scum of the earth. More like, lead through example so that people will see the good and gravitate to the light.

• stellap says:

Who said anything about treating people of other religions like scum of the earth? I suggest you read John 3. Here is what Jesus said:

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.

• Sharon says:

I have no option but to conclude that you are absolutely right. Even as you continue to illustrate my original statements.

I was actually just coming back to apologize for saying “you’ve got issues…” That’s a little and dismissive on my part, and I apologize.

You also might like to read John 3:

• mung says:

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I was full blown born again, rolling in the isles, when I was a teenager. Then as in everything in my life, I became a bit more moderate. Do you honesty believe that Jesus would want us to hate others because they are not followers? Is that what your church leaders are teaching you?

• stellap says:

You keep saying that I am hateful. What have I said that is hateful? You have just become a “cafeteria Christian”. Make your own rules – take the pieces you like, and ignore the rest. If you truly understand what being “born again” is, there is no “moderating” of your position. It is what it is. Jesus said “whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son”. I don’t think he was concerned about “being nice”.

P.S.: I don’t need a “church leader” to teach me this. It’s in the Bible.

• Sharon says:

Straw man and circular argumentation.

• mung says:

You are right about that. I have seen the light, anyone who does not believe in Jesus is Satan and should be exterminated.

• stellap says:

Now you are just being ridiculous. I thought you were Christian? How can you not understand the basic tenets of Christianity? Anyone who does not believe in Jesus is condemned – in the words of Jesus himself. I’m sorry that makes you feel uncomfortable, but that’s the way it is.

• mung says:

But it is not any of our jobs to condemn them. Someone already has that job and made it quite clear that he doesn’t like when people infringe on his position. There is a story early on in the bible about someone who thought he could do God’s job better than him. How did that turn out?

• stellap says:

I really don’t understand you. Really. Who is condemning? I have simply quoted what is in the Bible. I’m not taking up a pitchfork, or lighting a cross on somebody’s lawn. I am respectful of everyone I meet, personally. I believe what it says in the Bible – those who don’t accept Christ are condemned. By God, not by me. Christ said so.

II John 8-11
                  Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward.
                  Whosoever transgresseth and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.
                  If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:
                  For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
                  ________________
                  That is not hate, that is just the truth. I only have to answer for my sins and I’m no better than anyone else and have not been offered anything that isn’t freely offered to anyone else. However, there are many warnings such as this throughout the Bible. Am I to ignore the Bible and just do something so I can be “moderate” or PC?
                  I do not want to be a partaker of evil deeds.
                  As for he who does not believe in Jesus is Satan:
                  I John 4:1-3
                  Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
                  Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
                  And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is the spirit of anti-christ, wherof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
                  —————-
                  As Stellap pointed out to you, those people have condemned themselves, not us and not God.
                  I don’t see any Christians exterminating anyone, however I see Islamists exterminating Christians a lot.

• mung says:

I guess the crusades never happened? Hitler didn’t kill any Jews? Need I go on? So many things have been done in the name of Christ that he would never condone. This whole thing started with people being outraged because a couple of students were given their constitutional rights to observe their religion. Again if the roles were reversed, you would want the same thing.

• stellap says:

This is a silly argument. I don’t believe that Hitler was a Christian. If you want to make that case, go for it. The Crusades were more than 700 years ago, and if you are an expert on the Crusades, go ahead and explain what happened in the 13th century. I’m sure it will be enlightening. The fact is, Christians ARE being persecuted today, this very minute, in Iraq, Egypt, Iran, just to mention three, by Muslims. The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt is bent on wiping out the Coptic Christians in their country.

• michellc says:

Stellap pretty much covered it. So I’m going to wait and see your answer.

• texan59 says:

I’m going to take another few minutes from my life that I will not ever get back to explain why “nobody likes you”. In short, you are rather whiny and a sniveling know-it-all. You take something that someone else posts on and find all of your holes.

1) ctdar posted at 8:58 this morning about muslims praying in school. A couple hours later you stroll in and say -”I kind of get tired of the prayer isn’t allowed in school BS”

Most would take this as a little snarky antagonistic comment. You then go on for the next couple hours to let us know how enlightened you are and how closed-minded we are.

2) At 4:09 p.m. you state – “I know I won’t every move you to my way of thinking because my way of thinking is based on logic and reason instead of fear and paranoia”

Another patronizing comment, asserting that others comments are solely based on our own flawed logic and emotion.

3) At 4:34 you indicate that you are getting ganged up on. You can’t understand why. You are a registered democrat but you vote “99%” republican. You go on and on. You have all these reasons why YOU are reasonable, but no one else is because they don’t agree with you.

4) At 5:57 you state – “I though I had found a place where there were intelligent people having meaningful discussions” How condescending an attitude you have.

There are several more instances I can site and quote you on. You, however make me very, very tired.

As I stated in my response to you earlier, you are at the point that if you were at my home, I think it would be time that we went outside and had a little discussion. You have annoyed me and all of my guests. You seem to be the kind of person who always wonders why nothing ever seems to go your way. Nobody loves you. Nobody understands you. Oh, the injustice of it all. I’ll tell you why. You’re a pain in the ass. You know more than anyone about religion, abortion and gawd knows what else. You sound an awful lot like “The Royal Imam Jawbone of Benghazi”. You’re just misunderstood.

I’ve dealt with your kind for a long time. If you really want to know what the problem is, go take a look in the mirror. I would say that you are right about one thing. There are a lot of people who visit this site who think along the same lines. We are for the most part quite conservative. However, we are not monolithic. We don’t all agree on each and everything either. We don’t try to be condescending when we disagree with one another. You like confrontation. You seem to parse things to the nth degree just to have a disagreement to show your superior intellect. If you want to be respected for your opinion, you need to be a little more respectful of others as well. If this offends your delicate sensibilities, so be it. I don’t care. If this gets me barred from here, so be it. I have a life outside of this little box with pixels and smileys and who knows what else is in this little bundle of technology. You need to take things a little less seriously. No one
                  gets out alive. I’ve been here for two years and I’ve never gotten a trophy for all the brilliant things I’ve said. I doubt you will either.

• michellc says:

Alex Jones at times does make sense, but he’s so way out there so often everything is taken as crazy talk.

BTW, I don’t get the if you don’t hate non white people. I like the people on this blog and don’t consider any of them as haters of non white people.

• stellap says:

Most of us think the way that you do, Michellec, but there are comments on the GZ thread sometimes that lean in that direction.

• michellc says:

I don’t read the GZ thread often unless something new has came out, so I’m kind of out of the loop on that.
            I just often though see people in general, not necessarily this blog, take comments about crime rate, welfare rates, black on white crime as hating blacks, when what people are trying to point out is you have to admit their is a problem before you can work to fix the problem. So I wasn’t sure if that was what he was meaning or not.

• Sharon says:

“I feel like a man with no place to go, no political party to support, and no one that understands moderation.”

You poor thing. You probably just need to start your own blog so that moderation and communication and discussion will take place as you wish. Suggested blog name: My Moderate Place..

Sorry I was so dense earlier.

28. stellap says:

What do you all think about this?

In retrospect, at the Battle at Fiscal Cliff, Boehner took President Obama to the cleaners. He did it suavely, without histrionics. While Obama churlishly, and in a politically amateurish manner, publicly strutted about having forced the Republicans to raise tax rates on “the wealthiest Americans” Boehner, quietly, was pocketing his winnings.

29. texan59 says:

A spellchecker, thesaurus and dictionary that can be used here on WP and all around the web.

• czarowniczy says:

Yep, I stopped using the poisons for rats and mice years ago. I buy a load of the old fashioned snap-type mouse and rat traps for my feed storage areas. I have a few rat snakes that live in the barn/garage and they play nine kids of hell with the feed. When the snakes are full or hibernating the traps work quite well. I’m not sure about being safe around my grand-kids but setting the traps sure teaches them manual dexterity.

• stellap says:

Seriously, I haven’t had any problems with mice lately, but did in the last house I lived in. I always used traps rather than poison, but mainly to protect my pets. I heard that after I moved, they had an infestation of rats in the neighborhood (a nice area too).

• czarowniczy says:

Yeah, Katrina washed out most of the rats but over the last few years they’ve almost returned to pre-storm levels.

• John Denney says:

“I’m not sure about being safe around my grand-kids but setting the traps sure teaches them manual dexterity.” :-)

I read somewhere long ago that Bermuda was once overrun with rats, until the governor created a law that all households must maintain 13 rat traps baited and set at all times. Then rats became extinct there.

• czarowniczy says:

Politicians will never call for a wholesale eradication of rats in the US as they are afraid the populace will take them too literally.

• michellc says:

I don’t use rat poison anymore, however I know lots of farmers and feed stores that do. I used it for years and was always extra careful that it couldn’t be accessed by kids or animals but then I had a little rat terrier that was chewing on a dead mouse and he got deathly sick and I took him to the vet and sure enough he was poisoned through eating on the mouse.
        But if you ban poison then that creates another problem when you consider how many feed stores and farmers, businesses and people that do use poison. I really hate mice and rats and I really don’t want to see the country overran with rats. Just the thought of that gives me nightmares.

• czarowniczy says:

Too late, we’re overrun with rats after last November. Now I’ve stretched that as far as I can, look at zinc phosphide for a rodenticide. It reacts with the acid in the rodent’s stomach, forms phosgene gas and – poof – no more rodent. In short order it dissipates inside the target animal and viola, you’re safe. It doesn’t go down the food chain like cyanide or arsenic, damaging other wildlife. A few pellets hidden in some place where rodents go that kids don’t (I have a few pieces of junk steel pipe in the garage with a few pellets inside. Not a lot of pellets and even if the kids are really persistent they wouldn’t do much more then make them sick. Most people make the mistake of hosing the area down with poisons, using far too much, instead of whacking the rodents over a longer time. eBay has some folks who sell the pre-made pellets – can’t buy the bulk zinc phosphide (over 10% I believe it is) without a special license after 911 but the commercially available stuff works quite well and I’ve never had anything from filed mice to monstrous beaver develop a resistance to it.

• texan59 says:

A parting shot from Lisa Jackson/Richard Windsor. I was wonderin’…………..if we ban D-Con does that mean we won’t have any mouses in the houses anymore? :roll:

• stellap says:

Time to adopt a good mouser, or ask Czarowniczy to loan you a rat snake!

I’ll take a pass on the snake. Think I’ll use this -

• stellap says:

I think you are overestimating the size of the mice.

• WeeWeed says:

Gaw dang, T!!! :shock: You got a grandkid strong enough to set them buggers???

• texan59 says:

I’ll get the three local chirren to jump off the picnic table onto one side and I’ll jump off onto the other side and we might just get her set. :lol:

• ctdar says:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Dang Tex, think I just cra$$ed myself! :roll:

• michellc says:

I got one I’ll loan you. I bought it an auction one time and my husband asked me if I was planning on trapping a bear, I told him it was to keep him in line. lol
            I don’t honestly know why I bought it, it was there and nobody was bidding on it and so I bid then others ticked me off because they decided if I was going to bid they were going to bid too and then I thought I just had to have it.
            It’s hanging in the barn, but I’d be scared to death to try and set the thing, I’d probably snap my arm off. It might make a good deterrent though if folks come trying to steal my food. lol

• Isn’t that funny how that works? I’ll find something on ebay I’m mildly interested in, set a price limit for myself, but if someone outbids me…look out!!!

• michellc says:

I love auctions, so much so I have to limit myself because I have a tendency to get into bidding wars. I tell myself every time I won’t do it this time, but at least once I do it and if it’s something I really want then I have to get my husband to bid for me and tell him my top dollar. Then I have to sit on my hands or walk away.
                When it comes to spending money I’m very frugal, my husband calls it tight, but then I go to an auction and will buy something I don’t need and pay more than I wanted to spend because my competitive side gets the better of me.

I’ve been told though my bear trap is worth more than I paid for it, but I’ve never checked into that. I kind of like seeing it hanging in the barn because it makes me laugh when I think of my husband’s expression when he realized I bought a bear trap.

• ctdar says:

and with ban on kittahs what to do, what to do?

• michellc says:

They really do apparently want to ban cats now because they kill too many rats and birds. I often wonder did these folks just wake up one day under a mushroom? They know nothing of history, math is foreign to them, reading comprehension is hard for them as well and they obviously never heard of a thing called the food chain.

30. stellap says:

Patty Andrews has died, at age 94:

• WeeWeed says:

Thanks, Stellap – more of the Greatest Generation.. gone. :(

• texan59 says:

There aren’t many left. The world will have officially gone to hellinahandbasket when those looked up to are folks like Alec Baldwin and Matt Damon – for their bravery in taking on the world. Instead of Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, John Wayne.

31. stellap says:
  32. LandauMurphyFan says:

And they’ll be using this death for political gain in 3…2…1…

33. michellc says:

Nope the Koran doesn’t teach them to murder. We should be tolerant of Islam in the name of freedom of religion. They’re just a peaceful, tolerant religion.
    “The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom.” — Qur’an 5:33

34. anwtex says:

un-BEE-lievable. Sheesh! I am surrounded by whackadoodles.

Christie Hefner said that Chicago’s sky-high murder rate could be blamed — at least in part — on climate change.