Thursday Open Thread – Nov 22nd

“In everything give Thanks”

I Thessalonians 5:18

About these ads

About ytz4mee

Libertarian, Freedom Fighter, Erstwhile Pilot, Polyglot, Multinational Rabble Rouser, Contrarian "Just Because", Hew to the philosophy of "Drink the Good Wine First".
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Thursday Open Thread – Nov 22nd

1. cajunkelly says:

Here’s wishin all of you Treepers a wonderful Thanksgiving.

May your branch in our tree be loaded to near breaking with family, friends and bountiful blessings.

2. dmoseylou says:

May your stuffing be tasty
    May your turkey plump,
    May your potatoes and gravy
    Have nary a lump.
    May your yams be delicious
    And your pies take the prize,
    And may your Thanksgiving dinner
    Stay off your thighs!
    ~Author Unknown

3. Mikado Cat says:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Its been on my mind a bit that we the most fortunate on earth are able to complain so bitterly at our situation, but that is why we aren’t still living in caves and digging for roots. We need to continue to struggle to be the best we can, do the best we can for our children, but it doesn’t hurt to look at the good things in our lives and be thankful for them.

Pie season is upon us, and I intend to rise to the challenge. ;)

4. ytz4mee says:

Sign of the times:
    “Daily Job Cuts” web blog keeps tracks of layoffs

5. cajunkelly says:

BTW, I heard that the cease fire agreement was actually reached 24 hours before it was announced.

It was put on hold waiting for hillary to get there so she and obama, of course, could take credit. :evil:

6. lovemygirl says:

Too late for this Turkey Day but I started brining my turkeys years ago. I also cook them slowly on a wood fired grill. Consider brining next year or for Christmas/New years.

• stellap says:

I always intend to, but never seem to get it done – I’m the only one here and with work, and house cleaning and other preps for the holiday, well you know! Maybe next year. Btw, have you ever done a small turkey on a rotisserie? Absolutely delicious! Great for a summer cookout (or Thanksgiving, if it isn’t snowing).

• Menagerie says:

Bringing a turkey makes it a hundred times better. Never cooking one any other way after Hats and G8trmom turned me on to that. Happy Thanksgiving!

• ctdar says:

I discovered brining years ago. The first time I did it overnight and turkey turned out way to salty so now do it only for a few hours in morning just before going in oven and turkey turns out so moist & flavorful :)

• Never tried it myself, have heard many good things about it.

And, LOL, you wrote: “I started brining my turkeys years ago” and I thought, dayum, talk about planning ahead! :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

• ytz4mee says:

I brine my turkey but the true way to get a moist, succulent turkey that looks like it belongs on the cover of one of the those food p0rn magazines is to roast it in a paper bag.

Take a large brown paper bag and oil the inside generously (I use canola oil, but my southern GF prefers peanut oil). Season the turkey, add some broth for moisture, and cover your roasting pan with the oiled brown paper bag, sealing tightly.

You will never do your turkey any other way, ever, again.

• jordan2222 says:

ytz4mee

I understand what you are saying about putting the turkey inside of the well oiled paper bag but this confused me:

cover your roasting pan with the oiled brown paper bag

Are you saying to use a separate bag?

7. michellc says:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Thankfully all of the hard work was done last night, all of the pie crusts and pies I got made last night. The turkey is already in the oven. The cornbread got made and is waiting to become dressing. The rolls are waiting to be popped into the oven. So only the easy stuff left to be done.

So for a change lunch will be ready on time without me rushing to get everything done. Then leftovers for dinner, leftovers tomorrow, no more cooking for a few days. YAY!!!

• ctdar says:

Err Michelle, what time are we expected? :)

• Sharon says:

Hey michellc! I just hit the same point in prep–about 6 hours later than you depending on where you’re at–I’m PST–I love that lull that happens just before the people arrive and I start setting everything out to be served. It’s all good.

And my DH brought me the Christmas poinsettia!! He always does that on Thanksgiving–such a good guy. It’s fun to have the lift of celebratory things, it is.

And yes! The leftovers!! I’ve got tinfoil pans ready to go to send bunches of leftovers with our son and family home as well. They are having a major open house at their business this saturday, so I know they’re going to be on a dead run when they get up tomorrow morning….

• ytz4mee says:

Maintaining family rituals is one of the things we must do to preserve our culture.

• jordan2222 says:

tinfoil? Holy cow. Not too many of us left who say that.

• Sharon says:

hm? I just meant the throw away ones that you buy in 3s or something, so I could send bunches of leftovers with them and they wouldn’t have to worry about returning dishes….

Had a great time…..happy end of Thanksgiving Day to everyone. Now we are charged up with tryptophan and ready to get back to the fight.

• jordan2222 says:

I know but who says “tin” foil today? Most folks today call it aluminum foil.

• Sharon says:

oh :( just me, I guess! Does that make me special? :)

• jordan2222 says:

Anyone who knows how things were in the “olden days” is specials. Both of my girls used to beg me to tell them stories about the olden days. My oldest is 34 and even she sometimes says tinfoil and “icebox” to piss off her liberal husband.

• Sharon says:

I just realized–too late, ‘cuz I bet you’re right there reading that little response–that I should never have given you that hanging low ball–”does that make me special”….. oh, well. I’m too full of turkey to think straight. :)

8. 22tula says:

You know even Santa vetted the next Santa @7:42 because of the Torch

Passing The Torch
    “What I’m talking about is a Torch. A bright shining Torch, that is carried for awhile and than passed on to another. If it is not passed on, the flame flickers and dies. I carried this torch for more seasons than I should have done because I loved it so much.” Santa Clause @ 5:19

9. ytz4mee says:

Investor’s Business Daily not so impressed with die dunkle Fuhrer.
    Cambodian First Lady dismisses Teh Won with a greeting reserved for servants.
    No turnout in all three nations to great teh bestest Noble Peace Prize winner evah.

10. cajunkelly says:

It may have taken her 30 years, but hopefully she learned a lesson.
    Yes, freedom of speech is a right, but a platform from which to speak is not.
    Behave like an ass, get treated like one.

11. ytz4mee says:

Massive multi-vehicle crash on I-10 in SE Texas with fatalities. Prayers to the families of those involved. Please, drive safely – and slowly if necessary –

• jordan2222 says:

The comments at HuffPo show how little compassion the Progs have when people are injured or killed in a place called Texas. Texas and Florida are perennially on their hit list.

Worse of all, most are completely ignorant of sudden fog phenomena. Here in Florida, I have experienced them when they seemed like cast nets being thrown down from the sky.

One night, while in my boat, deep in the Florida Everglades backcountry, one came down on me that so quickly that in less than a minute I could not the see the running lights on the front of my 16′ Carolina Skiff and had to wait until dawn to get to my campsite.

Those idiots over there cannot comprehend that you do not always have time to get to the nearest exit or even pull over safely very far from the Interstate.

Mo

• stellap says:

I’ve seen that happen in Chicago when the wall of fog rolls in from Lake Michigan – suddenly you can’t see two feet in front of your face.

12. ZurichMike says:

Love the new kitty-kat motif! :-)

13. I’ll be thankful when the turkey is chased from the White House…along with his fat Hen and her huge snood. The current Administration is an American embarrassment. But what do I expect from a Moslem carpetbagger?

Happy Thanksgiving from all of us cooking in Lucifer’s original 350°F oven. :evil:

14. bob e says:

this place is always a treat…but tonite i’d like ta’ thank every treeper for the beautiful images,
    words, and feeling trumpeting from this place. made my thanksgiving something shared…with
    all of you here..

15. jordan2222 says:

Did anyone else get email notification of this thread on the 19th?

Wow! Im getting paid! Awesome!
    by stellap

I get a PAGE NOT FOUND when I try to open it.

Jordan, sorry about that. My WordPress user was hijacked that morning about 11:00am. I spotted it within an hour, and WordPress also eventually caught it, but apparently the damage was done. We also had a post here, with a link to Facebook. Yours is the first report of an email being sent. You probably got the “PAGE NOT FOUND” because I had already deleted the thread in question. If you receive anything else (I don’t think you will), please let us know. Thanks!