Thursday August 6th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

92 Responses to Thursday August 6th – Open Thread

1. citizen817 says:

2. citizen817 says:

3. Missy says:

I was watching Raheem Kassam’s War Room Pandemic tonight, and Jake Maxey said that he discovered the reason that the FDA withdrew its Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from hydroxychloroquine was that ONLY ONE EUA CAN BE AUTHORIZED AT A TIME, and they are saving it for the vaccine! Outrageous!

Am going to do some more research on this. If anybody can confirm, please do!

• Garrison Hall says:

I saw that too. I’ve never had much trust in public health “experts”, most of whom perform pretty much like what we’ve been seeing with this current crop of idiots. Hydroxychloroquine has saved millions of lives around the world and could have saved thousands of lives here. Now that this piece of information is public I think it’s up to the president bring in a better group of epidemiologists who can begin to remake our national public health covid-19 policy. Since the current crop are all federal employees and can’t be fired, the next best thing is to simply move them aside and bring up a different group to advise the president. The very first thing they need to do is re-authorize the use of Hydroxychloroquine.

• Patrick Healy says:

Garrison,
        Can you explain to this puzzled foreigner why federal employees cannot be sacked?

• My Magic Wand says:

Here is a decent explanation of where their protections originated, not to mention the federal employee union’s added baggage.

• Garrison Hall says:

After you serve for a probationary period in government service “civil service regulations” take effect which provide such broad protections that it is actually next to impossible to actually fire someone.. While you can be fired, the process is convoluted and rife with pitfalls. The endless hearings, appeals and such can take years to complete and, even then, even incompetent or criminal individuals stand a good chance of not being fired. As a result, most supervisors—even the president—simply don’t bother. Fauci and his public health cronies effectively have lifetime appointments.

• dilonsfo says:

You can say that again…there is a teacher in prison for child molestation and he has been getting full pay for 4 years and counting.

• P says:

GH: Re: “After you serve for a probationary period in government service “civil service regulations” take effect which provide such broad protections that it is actually next to impossible to actually fire someone..”…”Fauci and his public health cronies effectively have lifetime appointments.”

IMO, those two comments explain why government service at ALL levels (city, state, national) appears to attract people who are inherently corrupt. Again, IMO, we need to elect Statesmen/women NOT politicians, and also change “civil service regulations” and enact term limits for every single official position in America.

POLITICIANS: Advance their own well-being.
            STATESMEN/WOMEN: Advance their fellow citizens well-being.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

This was in my “Inbox” this morning:

July 29th documents from a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) presentation reveal, however, that the “qualifying criteria” for extending EUA to the drug appear to have been met: it “may be effective” and that “no adequate, approved, and available alternative” exists.

“…The document makes clear that Emergency Use Authorization cannot be used for more than one drug or therapeutic, and the establishment is potentially therefore saving the EUA pre-emptively for vaccines and remdesivir – patently high-value Big Pharma drugs – instead of hydroxychloroquine…”

4. Garrison Hall says:

Let’s try this again . . .

5. Lucille says:

HAPPY CURSDAY….

Look What These Pitties Did For Their Veteran Dad
    The Dodo Soulmates – Jul 26, 2020

Have a blessed day!

6. Garrison Hall says:

It’s CURSDAY Treepers!!!!

Do puppies know they’re this cute?

7. Donna in Oregon says:

I do a Bible study every night online so the stuff we discuss online doesn’t take over.

Tonight was Proverbs Chapter 4.

I thought it was a good chapter for the events of the day here on CTH.

4 Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.

2 For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
    3 For I was my father’s son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
    4 He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
    5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
    6 Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
    7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
    8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
    9 She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
    10 Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.
    11 I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths.
    12 When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.
    13 Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.
    14 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
    15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
    16 For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.
    17 For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.
    18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
    19 The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.
    20 My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.
    21 Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.
    22 For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.
    23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
    24 Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.
    25 Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.
    26 Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.
    27 Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.

8. ImpeachEmAll says:

Just say’n… 😉

Reminder: Post RIOTERS’
    peacefully protesting vids. 😉

9. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Fruit That Abounds

By Pastor Paul M. Sadler

“Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account” (Phil. 4:17).

How the Apostle Paul rejoiced on behalf of the Church at Philippi in their labors of love! This faithful church in their love for Paul and the message of Grace more than once had come to the Apostle’s aid. They participated in his sufferings and necessities in sending him financial relief. At Macedonia, their giving advanced the work of the Lord in the furtherance of the Gospel of the Grace of God (v. 15). At Thessalonica, their sending of a timely offering enabled Paul to flee Thessalonica and seek refuge at Berea (v. 16 cf. Acts 17:1-10).

This is what prompted Paul to say, “Not because I desire a gift.” Paul was not greedy or seeking personal gain, but he desired fruit that might abound to their account. The word fruit is used in the Scriptures to denote results or that which is produced. To quote one author by way of example, “We speak of ‘Punishment as the fruit of sin,’ ‘Poverty as the fruit of idleness,’ and ‘Happiness as the fruit of a virtuous life.’” Here we see sin produces punishment; idleness produces poverty; and a virtuous life produces happiness, so in the case of the Philippian believers, faithfulness produces reward.

The Apostle Paul rejoiced for them in their acts of kindness and faithfulness in service for Christ. The Apostle desired that their acts of kindness in providing for his needs might be put to their account, that at the Judgment Seat of Christ, they might be richly rewarded and reap the benefits of their fruitfulness. Would the great Apostle be able to commend our Grace Churches of the present as he did the Church at Philippi? Are we standing in the defense and confirmation of the Gospel as they did?

Philippians 4:15 Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only.
    16 For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity.
    17 Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account.

Acts 17:1 Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:
    2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
    3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.
    4 And some of them believed, and consorted with Paul and Silas; and of the devout Greeks a great multitude, and of the chief women not a few.
    5 But the Jews which believed not, moved with envy, took unto them certain lewd fellows of the baser sort, and gathered a company, and set all the city on an uproar, and assaulted the house of Jason, and sought to bring them out to the people.

6 And when they found them not, they drew Jason and certain brethren unto the rulers of the city, crying, These that have turned the world upside down are come hither also;
    7 Whom Jason hath received: and these all do contrary to the decrees of Caesar, saying that there is another king, one Jesus.
    8 And they troubled the people and the rulers of the city, when they heard these things.
    9 And when they had taken security of Jason, and of the other, they let them go.
    10 And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.

10. citizen817 says:

• warrprin1 says:

This is an important demonstration of what good teaching accomplishes. Great job, Dad!

This retired teacher weighs-in. Some nitwit would suggest that the child in this video has accomplished nothing more than meaningless memorization of the financial vocabulary terms she’s tossing about as easily as a well known rhyme. The nitwit would be wrong.

The kid proves that she can connect the dots. This is an outstanding lesson demo for everyone who erroneously thinks that process and group projects are more important than individual product.

11. citizen817 says:

• I bet he regretted that move.

A couple of years ago I got caught up in the “Hot Peppers” craze, and had several varieties (mostly Thai, Tabasco, and Habaneros, but including the Ghost Pepper) growing in my garden. After a “conditioning period” I was able to eat them ALL raw (including the ghosts)raw

I learned that the greatest discomfort sometimes came hours later, when your body finishes processing them and wants to pass them. Definitely NOT worth the intestinal suffering just for the ability to say “I can do it! Can you?”

12. Garrison Hall says:

13. citizen817 says:

• Margot says:

That’s awesome, but I question the “comfortable” aspect. Wearing a truss is not my idea of comfortable. Still, it’s probably a lot more comfortable than the alternative if you’re unarmed in a bad situation. So there’s that.

14. Chokdii8888 says:

Choco cake :

15. Sepp says:

. . . but deliver us from the Evil One.

16. Dora says:

17. Dora says:

18. Dora says:

19. Charlotte Powell Brooks says:

Baby Lives Matter.

20. SupY’all says:

25 Navy Seals assassinated after Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden revealed their identity. Never forget.

21. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day for Thursday, August 6, 2020

“Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.”
    Psalms 51:12 (KJV)

22. SallyMAy says:

July 31, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Bausch Health Companies Inc. (NYSE/TSX: BHC) (“Bausch Health” or the “Company”), f/k/a Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. (“Valeant”), today announced the successful resolution of the legacy investigation by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”) regarding Valeant’s former relationship with Philidor Rx Services, LLC and certain of Valeant’s accounting practices, policies and public disclosures relating to the 2014 and 2015 reporting periods.

Companies loading up on Valeant after its collapse.

Meanwhile, the SEC filings show that Susquehanna International Group acquired 2.56 million shares of Valeant during the fourth quarter. In addition, “””Renaissance Technologies””” bought 2.91 million Valeant shares, Barclays PLC (ADR) (NYSE:BCS) 1.31 million shares, and Millennium Management 1.25 million shares during the fourth quarter.

One of the Democratic party’s top donors has spent decades building a hidden offshore fortune of more than $8bn in the tax haven of Bermuda, according to leaked documents.

James Simons, a hedge fund magnate who spent $11m in support of Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign, amassed investment profits in the Lord Jim Trust, a vast private wealth fund set up on the Atlantic island in 1974.

Nov. 2017
    Simons is the chairman and founder of Renaissance Technologies, a hedge fund group in New York that manages more than $50bn.

Note this morning one week after SEC settlement on (NYSE/TSX: BHC)

Bausch Health shares soar 27% premarket after confirming to spin off eye-care business

So here we have the SEC settlement one week prior and the stock is popping a week later on spin off news. Whilst we also have one of the Biggest Democrat donors who bought into the stock after a Hillary Clinton induced collapse. (Note many online articles state that HRC going after Valeant during 2016 election season caused the collapse, which is true.)

23. Sally Hugher says:

The Laufers were among the biggest donors to Hilary Clinton’s presidential campaign in 2016, and have reportedly donated millions to various Democratic candidates and organizations in the run-up to the 2020 election. In May alone Ms. Zlatin Laufer donated more than $1.5 million to Democratic campaigns and liberal causes, public records show.

Henry B. Laufer (born 1945) is an American mathematician, investor and philanthropist. He served as the Vice President of Research at “”Renaissance Technologies.””
    Net worth $4 billion

Renaissance Technologies bought 2.91 million Valeant shares as the Stock dropped ~82% year to date 2016 after HRC attacked the company.

24. Margot says:

You Can Call Me Al.

• Garrison Hall says:

Geniuses at play. Love it! 🙂

• Margot says:

Thank you, Garrison. For some strange reason that I cannot even begin to fathom, I awoke this morning with that song running through my head.

So I posted it, kind of on a whim. 😀

• redline says:

Got a short little span of attention,
      And, whoa, my nights are so long

Politics aside, probably my all-time favorite lyricist, and a very fine composer.

25. just stevie says:

THE CROSS IN PRAYER

“At that day ye shall ask in My name.” John xvi. 26

We are too much given to thinking of the Cross as something we have to get through; we get THROUGH it only in order to get into it. The Cross stands for one thing only for us – a complete and entire and absolute identification with the Lord Jesus Christ, and there is nothing in which this identification is realized more than in prayer.

“Your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask Him.” Then why ask? The idea of prayer is not in order to get answers from God; prayer is perfect and complete oneness with God. If we pray because we want answers, we will get huffed with God. The answers come every time, but not always in the way we expect, and our spiritual huff shows a refusal to identify ourselves with Our Lord in prayer. We are not here to prove God answers prayer; we are here to be living monuments of God’s grace.

“I say not that I will pray the Father for you: for the Father Himself loveth you.” Have you reached such an intimacy with God that the Lord Jesus Christ’s life of prayer is the only explanation of your life of prayer? Has Our Lord’s vicarious life become your vital life? “At that day” you will be so identified with Jesus that there will be no distinction.

When prayer seems to be unanswered, beware of trying to fix the blame on someone else. That is always a snare of Satan. You will find there is a reason which is a deep instruction to you, not to anyone else.

Oswald Chambers
    August 6th Devotional

26. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

27. rah says:

Truckers report. It has now been over six weeks since I have not had an overtime day. This week will be the 3rd in a row with two OT days. The great pay checks continue to come and because in 14 months I will be eligible for full social security it is raising the amount I will get when the time comes to draw it.

Truck traffic has been extremely heavy all week and finding a place to park in the early morning hours to take my 10 hour break on the way back up I-65 from Smyrna was a challenge. I pretty much was limited to the big rest area in the vicinity or the exit for Horse Cave because the parking in all the truck stops was full. Tuesday night I had to park behind the trucks in the normal parking spots and then pull into one later when it was vacated.

Monday Departed the terminal in Anderson, IN at 15:00 for PK industries in Shelbyville, IN. There I dropped the loaded trailer full of dunnage I had brought in a door then hooked to a trailer preloaded with parts in a door bound for the Nissan ILC in Smyrna, TN (exit 70 I-24 east of Nashville). At the ILC I drop the loaded trailer in a door or on the lot where they tell me. I like the system because the driver just hands his paper work to the people at the gate and they sign it and tell him/her where to drop it and then after dropping the trail one just bobtails out. The pain is that the place is so busy that they have lots of yard trucks running all over.

Once I leave the ILC I drive a short distance to another warehouse where the Nissan dunnage is handled. There I go into the shipping office and tell them the route number I’m running and sign the BOL. On the BOL it tells the driver the vicinity of the trailer he is to hook to is parked and the trailer number. Go find the trailer that is full of dunnage, hook to it, do a pre-trip inspection, seal the trailer with the seal they provided, enter and transmit the information for the BOL using the Samsara pad as described in an earlier post and then take off headed for PK industries in Shelbyville, IN again.

I did this iteration twice and got home Wednesday at 18:00 which gave me time to finally mow my yard since it had been too wet last weekend to do it.

Friday morning at 01:00 I depart for Toyota up by the Kansas City airport again. This time instead of going to Lever Brothers for a backhaul I hook to a trailer full of dunnage right at that Toyota facility to bring back. That dunnage is bound for the Toyota warehouse in Hebron, KY (near Cincinnati, OH). They are trying to get another driver to take the load from the Anderson terminal to Hebron but there is a possibility that I will have to deliver direct to Hebron and if I do it will be very tough to make the delivery in Hebron and still have enough time on my 14 hour duty clock to make it back to the terminal in Anderson on Saturday without taking another 8 or 10 hour break.

The company is recruiting drivers but from what I am seeing they’re mostly people just out of drivers training that don’t know squat and it will take some time for them to be able handle the kind of loads that we salary drivers do. So no end in sight for this spell of heavy running.

My, how things have changed. When I hired into the company in October of 2007, you had to have 2 years over the road experience and a clean driving record to get hired.

• Margot says:

rah, I have no experience with trucking, but I really enjoy your reports. Never change!

So glad you are making bank.

• redline says:

Reading this reminds of just how much American labor, material, manufacturing, infrastructure, inventory, and logistics gets worked into these “foreign” cars.

• ImpeachEmAll says:

Just say’n… 😉

Ask Social Security a question.

Ask if you will receive the max
      monthly amount when retire.

If not; how much additional $$$
      per payments do you need to
      make to qualify for the max check
      when you do retire? Pay it.

A little old timer tune for you… 😉

28. Margot says:

Margot’s Mask Adventure

So yesterday, a friend and I went to Wally World to pick up a few things. Wally World, as you may know, has a “mask mandate” for its customers. We entered maskless and were immediately challenged by one of the masked “greeters”. “Excuse me, do you have a mask?” Our answer was “Medical exemption”. And we walked on by, with nary a peep. After that, no problems, we picked up our stuff and were on our way.

(I should mention here that this situation at Wally World is sort of a wink-wink, nod-nod thing. They know we’re bs-ing, but there’s not a thing they can do about it. We noticed many “medical exemption” folks while we were there, and had to resist the urge to high-five them)

It gets better. After that, I decided to root around solo in my favorite junk shop. There I was, minding my own business, looking over some stuff at the end of one of the aisles. All of a sudden, I hear this loud old-lady voice demanding imperiously “Can I get by here?” Startled, I looked up to see this masked old biddy staggering down the aisle, like ten feet away from me, and I should also mention that the aisle was about the width of three average sized people. So it wasn’t as if I was blocking her way at all and I pointed that out to her in no uncertain terms.

Well! She took great exception to my observation and said “You’re not wearing a mask.” And I said, “No, but you are, which means you’re sick so YOU need to stay away from ME”.

Oh, dear. That set her off. She said “Well, I would have, but you said something.” (Imagine that, I said something.)

I replied “You said something first.” So she huffs on by me all indignant, mumbling to herself about dangerous people.

Later on, we passed each other, she was going one way on one aisle and I was going the othe way on another aisle, with shelves and racks between us. But we could see each other. And I tell you, Treepers, I just couldn’t help myself. I made a whoopee-cushion type noise with my mouth as I passed her.

Does that make me a bad person? 😀

• Garrison Hall says:

The mask thing is just another example how incoherent “expert” advice has become. The ugly truth is that the entire public health bureaucracy, federal, state, and local, is in freefall—the “experts” were caught by surprise by the Covid-19 virus and never really caught up. In fact, they haven’t a clue about what to do and—as with mask wearing—are basically resorting to hopelessly BS solutions in the hopes that no-one will notice. The Dutch government has announced that it will not require mask-wearing because “there is no scientific evidence” that masks are effective in fighting the virus. One of the hallmarks of hubris is thinking that you are so smart and so superior to others, that they won’t notice when you are lying.

• Margot says:

Garrison, I saw that about the Dutch government and breathed a sigh of relief, because it just might be the start of a return to sanity. It also gives us some ammunition.

Shortly after my post above, I took off for the clubhouse in my nabe for a swim, and stopped off at the little on site library to return some books and get some new ones. There was one other lady in the room, and when I walked in, she looked at me and started asking frantically if I had a mask. I’m serious. I’m not exaggerating. She wasn’t wearing one, hers was lying on a chair. I didn’t even respond, I just looked at her. She picks up her mask and starts shaking it at me. “Do you have a mask? Do you have a mask? Do you? Do you?”. Still, I said nothing and walked over to the bookshelves. She shouts at me “I don’t know why you are ignoring me” and walks out. Whew. That was even more bizarre than yesterday.

Seems like people are losing their shyte (excuse my French) over masks, and that’s what really bothers me, even more than the Faucis of the world. Communism, if it comes, will come at the hands of your so-called neighbors who will take it upon themselves to enforce the dictates of the petty tyrants.

• auscitizenmom says:

No, it makes you a funny person. LOL

29. Anyone else see this ? A friend sent it to me. Not sure of the source but I like it https://video214.com/play/ZKnHmFk9gU3Yltuglv1dLQ/s/dark

30. Alrighty then. The NY Atty Gen has filed charges:

Now the OBVIOUS question is…

IF the suit was being filed because of fraud committed by NRA officers against its members, WHY announce that she’s trying to shut down the NRA, itself?

I mean, I myself had concerns about their excessive spending among pleas for membership and fundraising drives to prevent bankruptcy, but charges should be filed against embezzlers, not the organization itself!

No… this ISN’T about pursuing financial wrongdoers. But it IS ALL ABOUT FINDING SOME WAY TO SILENCE THE BIGGEST DEFENDER OF OUR 2nd AMENDMENT RIGHTS!

31. redline says:

That Zippo gif from the @TheLastRefuge2. Remove two spaces –

https: //kekpe.pe/i/5f2c3964368c1. gif

(I broke the link because I’m no fan of animated images in comment threads)

32. Lucille says:

Unusual Talking Dog’s Unique Barks Helps Him Get Adopted – DENNIS
    The Dodo

33. SandDollar says:

Hello, Treehouse. I have been watching the Hobbit trilogy with my children. This exchange stood out:

Galadriel: Mithrandir… why the Halfling?

Gandalf:
    …I don’t know. Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I’ve found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I am afraid… and he gives me courage.

34. Little Berkeley Conservative says:

Sometimes Facebook helps you out!

I was posing a serious local question.

It would be nice to talk about the crap we are all going through now.

In my part of the country, as a President Trump supporter, you need to know this!

35. NoTwoSystemsOnlyOneChiCom says:

Businesses are planning a ‘China Quit India’ campaign 8/9. But on the MoD website, a document blaming the PLA for invasion has disappeared causing questions https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/traders-body-to-launch-china-quit-india-campaign-on-august-9-2275497

36. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Please place Your Guardian Angels of Protection around Donald Trump and Mike Pence and their families as they seek to lead America back to You. Also, we pray for Angels to protect and support our Sundance as he works for justice and peace.

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

37. Margot says:

A Knights Tale – Golden Years / David Bowie
    Very elegant. I love the combination of modern and medieval. Plus they’re having such fun. RIP Heath Ledger. Gone too soon. Way too soon.

38. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Gen. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

39. Sepp says:

To Ponder

Let me ponder on the miraculous victory of the Israelites over Ai (Joshua 8):

1. How the inhabitants of Ai pursued the Israelites and almost overcame them.
    2. How, at God’s command, Joshua the son of Nun stretched out his banner and held it aloft until the inhabitants of Ai were routed.
    3. How I must, in time of danger, raise my heart to God like a banner, and conquer with the Cross on my heart and prayer in my steps.

From “The Prologue from Ohrid” by Saint Nikolai (Serbian-born Bishop who reposed in the USA and was a former prisoner at Dachau).

Today is July 24th on the traditional Calendar of the Orthodox Christian Church and August 6th on the civil or commercial calendar.