Rebel Alliance Ground Reports – What’s Your Current COVID Living Status?…

With such incredible disparity between the states of our republic, I’m curious what is the current status of the COVID lifestyle near you.   What is going on in/around your town, city, region or hamlet?

This isn’t just a typical request for ground reports, it’s also a little selfish.  You are helping me with advanced recon for a travel itinerary.  It is quite amazing the scale of difference between states.  The media reports in large generic terms, but the stuff that matters is how it impacts your life; your daily function.  That’s what we are all interested in.

It is quite remarkable how different life amid COVID is within each state, even when two states are right next to each other.  So how is it your area?

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, CDC, Coronavirus, media bias. Bookmark the permalink.

1,110 Responses to Rebel Alliance Ground Reports – What’s Your Current COVID Living Status?…

1. The Devilbat says:

I am in NE Florida just below the Georgia line. Masks, what masks? We don’t need no stinking masks!!! Seriously, almost nobody is wearing a mask here including our great local sheriffs.

• hocuspocus13 says:

…are the masks sanitary?

• Rhoda R says:

North West Florida Panhandle here. Some people wearing masks, but not many. Masks required in doctor’s offices and beauty salons – I don’t know if this is state mandated or individual decisions. One small local store is requiring masks and limiting the number of people who can enter. One of my favorite stores but I won’t shop where I’m treated like a Bubonic Plague carrier. I haven’t noticed any gyms open, but it might be because they’ve gone out of business.

2. Max Morales says:

North Dallas, Texas
    Masks are required by most every retail store, which are open. Eating is delivery or take-out, some have half occupancy dine-in available. Travel is open and easy. Grocers are well stocked, shopping is busy, especially on weekends. Texas is careful but realistic and things are running near pre-covid levels.

3. California Joe says:

South Orange County California: People are being more cautious now but most everything is open including restaurants. The OC Sheriff is a Republican and won’t enforce any of Gov. Nuisance rules and the death toll here is on 300 out of 3.4 million people of which half were in nursing homes. Most stores require a face mask and people are complying.

• thrawlbrauna says:

Yup and ditto here. No masks when walking around in the neighborhood and no one else does either. I’m supposed to wear it when going into/out of work (common spaces). Not required while working in office though. In stores the mask is more done out of respect for the older crowd (Leisure world is nearby so most of us are just trying to be respectful even if it is a bit antiquated these days).

• diogenes says:

I’m more central OC but around here there’s lots of “no service without masks” signs in windows. Enforcement even by store peons is limited, and I for one only put a mask on if someone stops me at the door and demands I do so. If not, I carry on normally mask free.

Even then many of the people I see wearing their face diapers do so in a desultory fashion that leaves noses exposed.

• steph_gray says:

I am desultory that way – on purpose!

1) It helps me breathe.
        2) I use it as a signal to any thinking human nearby that I am complying under protest.

• JoeJoe says:

What a difference 30 miles makes…..

• rrick says:

North OC. It’s weird. The grocery store I regularly shopped (Albertson’s) got gestapo so I switched stores. That 2nd store (Stater Bros.) was fine – no masks – until they weren’t. In that store I was accosted by two managers who were intent to browbeat me into submission. They acted like the store would catch fire if I did not comply. So I didn’t.

My latest shopping excursion featured three stores (Albertson’s, Wal-Mart, Home Depot). None of the stores cared whether I wore a mask.

In the first listed, all employees wore masks; in the 2nd, approx. <50% employees wore masks. In the 3rd, no employees wore masks. In all three stores, most shoppers wore masks. I didn't wander the stores making a head count or seeing how many were wearing. I did notice no other shopper shot disapproving looks at me. People seem upbeat and cheerful.

I conclude that even though, "It's the law!" (yes, a store manager howled that to me.), it seems it is up to individual managers and employees if the store will comply whether fully or partially.

In public spaces, I have seen pedestrians, joggers, and bicyclists wearing masks. I saw a middle-age couple sitting on the grass in a park wearing masks with no other persons in sight. Thrice I have seen sole occupants in their vehicles wearing masks and gloves. However, most persons do not wear masks in public. Upon exiting a store, most mask wearers are quick to remove their mask.

I think the politician panic is leading to a mental health issue. This will only increase the anxiety in those persons prone to anxiety. Example: I saw a woman as sole occupant in her car wearing gloves and masks.

The gloves were the type used for household cleaning like latex gloves. She had both hands on the steering wheel but when she took a hand off the wheel she would spray a mist on the hand before placing it back on the wheel. Then she would place that hand on the wheel and remove the other hand from the wheel. She would then spray that hand before placing it back on the wheel. As it requires one hand to spray the other hand, there were times when no hands were on the wheel.

As we were on surface streets with a stop light every quarter mile or so, I was able to observe her actions for several minutes. She didn't let up on that routine. For the approx. 5 minutes, she kept spraying, removing hands, spraying, removing hands…. That poor dear.

• jello333 says:

“That poor dear.” Yeah, I hear ya. Most of the time when I see anyone wearing a mask unless absolutely necessary, I actually get a little bit angry, and I feel like asking them WHY they’re willing to play the games they’re ordered to play. But the woman you described? No… I just feel really sorry for her. And it makes me really HATE the people in power that are causing her to act that way. They’ve basically drove the woman insane… almost literally. 😦

• steph_gray says:

Sounds to me like a horrible case of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder now triggered beyond all hope by the scamdemic.

Horrendous.

4. Imma 65 year old redneck from Texas living in the hi desert of Southern California. I’m near Joshua Tree, I’ve had two arguments in Walmart for not wearing a mask, but those two ladies now wish they hadn’t of messed with me, I made monkeys out of both of them. Now when I go to avoid the drama, I dress up like Fluffy Dog from Twitter, totally concealed so the AI has no clue. The other day at a Big 5 store I bought 6 boxes of .308 ammo with a freaking mask on with sunshades and hat! COVID is HOAX!

5. DesertRain says:

Apache Junction, AZ

After Gov Ducey issued last EO on mask requirement, AJ mayor issued the following:

“I’ve stated this is up to the individual. If you feel you’re at risk stay home. I also hope that folks don’t get upset at businesses that require PPEs as that is their right also. People need to take responsibility for their own lives. I think it’s sad that some put their safety in the hands of a Mayor, councilmember or Governor. We must learn to live in the modern world on our own eventually. There are always going to be risks and illnesses out there and we’ll get through it. Also everyone is essential and every job is essential to providing for a household.”

Lots of Mesa and Gilbert folks doing their shopping AJ…

6. mr. deacon says:

West Texas. The merchants out here told Abbot to take a flying bite out of their culos calientes. For as long as man has stomped around the hot scorching sands of the West Texas Grease Orchard, there has been a hell of a lot more important and far more dangerous things to worry about than some Chinese microbe. Everything out here will bite, sting, poison, stab, eat you, run you down, blow up, catch on fire, shoot you, or knock you in the head for not paying em what you owe them or talking back. Folks have been coming over that Mexican border since they told Santa Anna to Paya in 1836 with every disease known to man or beast and now Abbot wants everybody to wear a mask?

• lolli says:

mr. deacon 🇺🇸
      Yes, that’s the dang truth.
      Illegals from all over the world come through Texas with all kinds of diseases.
      But Abbott would never want to shut the border and oppress the invaders, yet he will shut down businesses, mandate masks with freaking fines, and allow antifa to march in our cities.

• Janeka says:

When my kid moved to Georgia some moron tried to scare her about ticks she told them she was a native 4th gen Texican and if it bites, stings, grabs, pokes, scratches, spits, stinks, rattles, leaves a rash, itches, sucks blood, kicks, or is just down right cross eyed hostile she has dealt with it before knows how to handle it..

• jnr2d2 says:

First, the EO says after requiring face masks, that they must be worn IF you can’t do 6 ft social distancing. Exclusions are for family, or a condition that wearing a mask will exacerbate. So I don’t wear a face mask! I almost never get within 6 ft of anyone during the day. And wearing a mask inflames my lungs. I am 70+ and retired. I go food shopping, drug store, to some restaurants. Walk with neighbors. Retail stores and gas stations/minimart. Go see grand babies, and visit and do overnights. For the last 4 months I’ve rarely pass with in 6 ft – and if I did it was fleeting. No one in my extended family here in Texas or back east near Philadelphia, or in the Carolinas, or friends there or in other cities (Virginia, DC, Mayland) have tested positive: nor my mom or wife’s mom in nursing homes.
      Ask yourself this: In your whole life how many people do you personally know who died from Covid, Flu, drug overdose, murder or a car accident. Usually the answer is one in an accident, maybe an overdose, but NONE from Flu or Covid or murder! This is in your whole life. Yet all these deaths “by” annually in the US range between 30-60,000. So, say 50,000 divided by a population of 330 Million yields 0.015 probability of death in any given year.
      Grow a pair, it’s called life.

• thedoc00 says:

Exactly. It is only good part of the Gov Abbott’s EO, that he cleverly played off the ambiguity of “social distancing” vs “masks”. Too many people are falling into the trap of NOT READING the entire EO.

The really idiotic part of the EO is the 20 case requirement.

• steph_gray says:

Great meme in my private FakeBook group recently:

1) If masks work, why 6 feet distancing?
          2) If 6 feet distancing works, why masks?

The idiot power-tripping bureaucrats never heard of the simple maxim “More is not necessarily better.”

• Texian says:

The Uniparty.. The Anti-Americans..

The People can now only assume Abbott is subordinate to the dominate powers that have overtaken The Republic of the United States..

In order to take down the only Representative of The People.. President Trump.. the “Republicans”.. i.e. Uniparty.. are now plotting to give away the Senate.. and even “turn” Texas and Florida “blue”..

Right now America is witnessing how they do it.. they betray their base.. so their Uniparty wins against The People..

They are willing to give up the Senate, Texas and/or Florida in order stop President Trump from returning America back to The People..

7. redhotrugmama says:

Reporting in from Southern California, the “OC” to be precise. The 4th of July………was a blast out here. Illegal fireworks all over the place! Went over to Huntington Beach on Sunday and very few people wearing masks (very red city). Went to pick up some pew pew and was informed that apparently pew pew mfg. around the entire country are out of small primer. Learned it has to do with earth materials that come from outside the country added to the demand esp for 9mm which is hard to find.

Most stores are open though I did notice that large cosmetic chain store Ulta remains closed. Some restaurants are closing as employees are testing positive. I also see signs on various small businesses that are permanently closed:( I also notice that retail store shelves are not being restocked as fast as normal and not much stock in stores like HomeGoods, Marshalls etc…………..
    In our town many restaurants (with city permission) have moved tables outside to their parking lots so they can be open and generate some revenue.

My hubs works for a city here in the OC. One of his direct reports has tested positive and the city right now is dealing with their liability insurance carrier to determine if they have to shut down the public work department. At issue is apparently virus test turn around times are taking 7-14 days which is too long for cities and first responders. Guidelines dictate employee must prove 2 negative tests. My hubs has already had the virus (yes it was pretty bad) and he had been giving plasma in a hospital clinical trial, but they said its possible to get again so he has to do through regular testing plus additional blood tests as well (heavy sigh).

Meanwhile his parents have been trapped (more like held hostage) in the Philippines since February. The lockdown over there is extreme. We have been dealing with our congressional representative and the embassy trying to get them back (they are in their late 80’s with multiple health issues). Essentially the Philippines has been making it difficult for US citizens to leave. The embassy not been much help at all (another long story). They were not prepared for 300-400K citizens to be stranded all at once. It is chaotic over there. So his parents are coming up on 5 months of being stranded and 105-115 degree heat 😦

Thanks for all of your great writing and hope you decide to travel someplace interesting!

God Speed………………

8. Wes says:

Northern California here. Just walked in the door to find my wife watching Gov Gavin Newsome announcing 1) Pushback of scheduled re-opening of a few SF Bay Area counties that have been left closed (+/-) 4 – 5 million population?? 2) A re-institution of closures (bars/restaurants) 3) More demonstrations are mandatory, but not too close to Nancy’s house (just checking to see if anyone’s reading).
    Although Los Angeles (area) was not specifically mentioned (I didn’t hear at least), I suspect the statists will be coming down hard there, soon. I own some brick ‘n mortar locations in various areas in California and we will likely have to stop in-store visits and go back to curb-side delivery only. Our Scottsdale, AZ location went curbside-only about 10 days ago.

• rrick says:

Wes, good to see you. I have been wondering where you got off to. You must be busy. Sure do miss your tales over at Kenny’s. God bless you and your’s.

9. tigsmom says:

Vancouver,WA. Five minutes from Portland, and 15 to Antifa parade grounds. Masks are needed for patrons in a few businesses. If not ‘mandatory’, they are not present. BLM signs are few and far between.

10. Ant says:

I’m in Silicon Valley and there’s traffic again. People are going out to work and shop. I never thought I’d be happy to be stuck in traffic but here we are. It’s not like before all this started, but it’s way more than when the shutdown started.

11. Wes says:

Note: The SF Bay Area had been slated for a July 17 re-opening. That’s the date that was pushed back. The bars & Restaurant roll-backs are by county, but I missed that part of the news cast.

12. Magabear says:

Here in the BuxMont area of Pennsylvania (short for Bucks and Montgomery counties), everything is mostly open, you just have to bring your mask with you everywhere you go. WhuFlu has given some businesses an excuse to do stupid things like closing their bathrooms (they just want an excuse not to clean them).

The bigger issue is all the various stores, gyms and resturants that will never open again thanks to our Ceasar, Tom Wolf. If you’re going to visit the southeastern portion of PA, go to Lancaster county, where they at least put up a fight against Herr Wolf. The counties surrounding Philly like mine acted like the leftist sheep you knew they were.

13. Local Treeper says:

Sundance we have the lucky pleasure of living our lives in a RV allowing us to vacate the nuttier areas and head to greener pastures. Southern Utah and Southwest Colorado are great with most of the insanity pretty chill in these areas. The problem is we keep getting runners in the region from the hot zones and they bring their crazy here. I enjoy coughing wildly as they exit their vehicle with their masks, gloves and gallon jugs of hand sanitizer 🙂 It is amazing how fast some of them can run with the limit oxygen flow.

Truth be told our republic is in deep trouble. It is shocking to see how crazed so many are, how ignorant they are, and the laughable ridiculousness of their actions. You feel like slapping them and yelling “wake up”!

14. wvcoalman says:

West Virginia here. Approximately one hour ago at 12:00 AM, July 7th, the squish RINO Grubernor Jim Justice, tax evader, just put in an unconstitutional EO requiring a mask in all public buildings, with a caveat that no penalty from the State for those who don’t comply. However, all stores, courthouses, gas stations, etc. will gleefully comply with this decree and the Sheeple will gladly accept the Mask of the Beast to buy and sell with the name Jim Justice written upon it. A fence sitting, half tyrant is still a tyrant.

15. I just moved my family from California to Idaho. That was the absolute best thing we have ever done. Everything is open and everyone is extremely positive. No issues at all with the people being out and about.

16. Rileytrips says:

Central Alabama here. I never wear masks unless I have to go to a doctor or medical facility. We eat out regularly, and all the workers wear masks. Beauty salons and spas are open – appointment only. Gyms are open. A lot of people are wearing masks to shop – I’d say about 50%. We have had a lot of cases lately because of increased testing, but the hospitals aren’t overwhelmed and the death rate is down. The mayor in Montgomery (D) made masks mandatory in that city for now. Churches are open for services…except the Episcopal churches. Our little town had a great fireworks show on the 4th. Ammo is hard to find – even at Bass Pro and Academy. I don’t see people in the parks or outside with masks on, but I see people driving alone in their cars still with them on.

17. California Joe says:

Lots of Californians posting here tonight! That’s a good sign.

• evergreen says:

Maybe it’s time for CA to split into a few new states. Clear that there are demographic shifts that have taken place. 40 million people is too many for one governor to wrangle.

To each his own–it would be a happier solution for all.

• diogenes says:

Be better if we could build walls around Los Angeles, Sacramento, and the entire Bay Area. Then we could declare them independent nation-states and get some damn sanity back in CA.

• JoeJoe says:

Great idea. I think Orange and San Diego counties ought to be our own state. LA may need to be ritually burned.

• J Gottfred says:

On the spur of the moment after Newsom locked us down, again I downloaded and signed the recall Newsom petition. Eight different people saw me do it and insisted on signing to. Can you spell Grey Davis?

• rrick says:

NO! Why should we give even one square inch to the commies? You know what’s going to happen? China will get a foothold on the continent. Sure, they own banks and businesses now, and there are tens of thousands, maybe millions of Chicoms here now, so what’s the difference? The difference is they will be their own sovereignty under what you plan. Once here, how will we push them out then? War with California will be war with China.

Our Constitution mandates a republican government. Put up a wall around CA, or any of the states, and it is anything goes.

And as far as splitting into several states, aside from the fact that the existing state government must approve, who is going to do the splitting? Every permutation I have seen – about twenty – is woefully unsatisfactory to me. It would be far easier to push the commies into the sea right now than to split states. So let’s do that.

18. Rex Brocki says:

This is a little outside the target area(s), but I can report that the Vancouver, BC area of Canada is just about back to “normal.” The final consumer product (alcohol-based hand sanitizer) returned to “normal” distribution almost two weeks ago (“normal” defined as “doesn’t get sold out in a single day and have to wait until the next delivery.”). By that metric, toilet paper went back to normal here about a month and a half ago, and canned soup about two months ago, with milk and eggs about two weeks before that.
    Only about 25% of the local population is still wearing masks, and you have to understand that this number includes the 15-20% of the population here who ALWAYS wore masks, even pre-COVID. A high percentage of recent Chinese immigrants have been wearing masks in public here for decades. Once you mentally subtract them out, you realize that almost everybody here has basically told the gub’mint to take a hike on the issue… a healthy attitude if I’ve ever seen one!

19. Sandbar Ed says:

Indianapolis here: On the first of July Mayor Hogsett (D) ordered mandatory masks for all indoor activities beginning on 7/9. I’m sure it’s due to science. In fact, it has to be science. Otherwise, it might look as if he were arbitrarily picking a date in order to appear relevant. Local radio except PBS is treating it as a joke. Restaurants and bars are at 50% but judging from cars in their lots, many are ignoring it. Only a few businesses are currently requiring masks but it remains to be seen if that will change on the 9th. The people have had enough and I suspect that many businesses will ignore the order. Many activities are elbow to elbow, Katie bar the door, and let’s get on with our lives. On the flip side, we do have our share of Karens.

20. NWGrassroots says:

Green Bluff, WA (15 miles north-east of Spokane)

As of tomorrow (7-8-20) the complete state is in full mask requirement. This will be the death Kenell to struggling indoor restaurants and bars. The county of Spokane’s commissioners (all neutered GOPe types) do nothing and rely on the CDC compadré Robert Lutz to recite Dr. Fuchi’s warnings.

Construction friends told me today they are not going back to work on job sites where masking is required. And, since we are 45 minutes away from Coeur d’Alene, ID, all gasoline and shopping will be across the open border.

21. Matt says:

Cedar Rapids Iowa is where I reside. I don’t go out much other than the store. There’s quite a few older folks wearing masks at the grocery store. I travel all over the state going to dirt track races. Of the 13 different tracks I’ve been to this year I’ve seen one person wearing a mask. One. This whole virus thing is a freakin’ joke. Nobody I know really cares for this or any of the other bs going on. I quit paying attention to the news a long time ago and get out to the races. My life is much happier.

22. woohoowee says:

SW Ark & NE Tx – Everthing is pretty much open with distancing required. Ark will not impose mandatory masks but they are encouraged and cities can enact their own mask requirement if the need arises. Two deaths in my county and thirty-something in the more populated, neighboring Tx county. Mask use was about 1/2 of people in the stores, but not nearly that many over the weekend.

Cases are steadily rising due to testing. If I hear “testing” one more time….. And Ark is just cranking up to go Hog Wild with the contact tracing.

Our Governor is stuck on testing, testing, testing, and with the exception of Senator Cotton, the rest of the Republicans must be hiding from the CCP Virus because we haven’t heard a peep out of them. I even read today that they aren’t sure they’re going to the Convention due to the virus. Eyeroll.

Fewer than 300 have died in the state thus far and the hospitals aren’t being overrun. The testing might finish us off though 😉

23. WSB says:

60 miles north of NYC on the Hudson.

Supposedly, we are on Phase 4 as of today. My friends who own the tennis club in a nearby town will be able to teach on the inside court. And they have been teaching doubles for the last week or so because the clients are pissed off that there had been a ban on them. So it seems that most ended up ignoring that suppression. People are wearing masks in the lobby only. Outside is, of course, open.

The pool may be opening this week. BTW, there may be a business loss northwards of 350K.

Taller Half and I are still in the house and garden, with trips to grocery stores every two weeks for curbside pickup. We did have one outdoor dinner two weeks ago. All went well.

We have both worked from home for years, so the only difference are the lack of three trips per week for lunch, dinner or drinks plus we are now only curbside picking up provisions or ordering online.

Have had local small Whatever marches (about three), weekly big brother phone calls from the mayor, and am beginning to fight back against the city council for even contemplating one whacko’s desire to defund 50% of the police. All email.

Our Chief of Police and his deputy gave notice of retirement last week. Mayor said he knew this for awhile…dunno. Also the one across the Hudson in a large city squelched one riot, and then was promptly fired. He used to be our Chief of Police. Things may start getting bad if we do not fight back.

Most restaurants have had tents up in parking lots for outdoor dining. As of today, they were supposed to offer indoor, but Comrade Cuomo could change that at any time.

Upstate from us is beautiful and better off!

• evergreen says:

Fired for squelching a riot? Fired for enforcing the law? One would think the opposite: mayor impeached for ordering a police chief to look the other way in the face of violent law breaking. Wouldn’t that be considered conspiracy?

• WSB says:

Isn’t that just head shaking?????

Yes, if not in NY, the mayor would be taken out.

We are now in a third world state. God help us.

• WSB says:

This was the account…

“I’m glad he spent the time he did with our city,” Harvey said. “I always got along with him. He was always just a phone call away.”

Solomon was suspended from his job on April 1.

Just prior to Solomon’s suspension, tensions boiled over in the city following a police-involved fatal shooting on March 27 of an armed man, during which an officer was also wounded by gunfire. Riots broke out later that night…

When asked on Monday if Solomon’s suspension was tied to his leadership during the riots, Donat reiterated his statement from early April, saying it was tied “directly related to his performance as a chief” and had nothing to do with the work of the other members of the police department.”

24. Rick Anderson says:

Long haul trucker here, run all lower 48, BUT lately I’ve been a little selective on where I run IF I have options! There are places that are totally shut down and then in contrast places you’d think they never heard of the virus…crazy stuff

Seems lately though people are adapting to the new norm (wearing a mask etc) and behaviors differ substantially as well as attitudes. But what’s really got folks on edge are those fricking BLM and Antifa jerks.

25. skingross says:

… Billings, Montana – what COVID-19!?

26. kslb says:

Greetings from Southern IN, along the Kentucky border. Personal circumstances brought us here a year ago, from the southwest suburbs of Chicago. I thank God every day for directing us here, and that we are out of Illinois!
    Life in the time of corona jumped quickly back to normal after the initial panic buying frenzy. The majority of businesses are open; not seeing any social distancing or mask enforcement, except for Menards(stopped going there!). The mask hoax doesn’t seem to have caused any friction. People wear them, most don’t. I haven’t witnessed any virtue signaling over them. Being so close to Louisville worries me a bit, but I still drive in every Sunday for Mass. The church I attend is the only church I know of in the Kentuckiana area that does not enforce any of the ridiculous rules and regulations. No “reservation” (or mask) required!
    The 4th was simply wonderful! Lots of American and Trump flags! Fireworks up and down Highway 60; we had the best seats in the house, right on our front porch!
    Sundance, if your travels bring you out near Borden, IN, come on by and say “Hi.”

27. jello333 says:

Champaign-Urbana… and I think that may be the first time I’ve publicly given out that info here. But I’m DONE being scared. It’s my little version of Molon Labe I guess. 😉

Anyway, despite being in the land of The Pritzker, things could be worse… well, as long as you’re willing to wear a mask that is. Most stores are now open, including a lot of restaurants, even for “inside dining”. But the majority still require masks. Mostly signs on the door saying “By order of the governor…” blah, blah, blah. Pools and gyms and stuff are still closed. I think schools are scheduled to open on their normal dates, but I don’t know if they’re gonna have idiotic mask rules in place. The only public transportation we’ve used over the past few months has been city buses, and they’ve still got some “skip a seat” rule, you have to enter/exit via the back door, masks are only “recommended”, and for some strange reason it’s FREE (not complaining about that part, of course 😉 ).

So, not as good OR bad as some other places. Don’t know if this is important, but like most places we didn’t have an official fireworks event… BUT we had tons and tons of people shooting off their own, far more than I’ve ever seen, which was pretty cool.

Oh, and did I mention?: Despite the mask edict still in place, my wife and I have STILL not worn one, not even once. And this might be weird, but the longer this goes on, the PROUDER I am that we’ve stuck with it.

• trishinsouthernillinois says:

I’m in Franklin county, 80miles south of St. Louis.
      Most everything is open now. Some wear masks, most don’t. 6foot rule has begun to fade too. I dropped the mask when the riots started.
      I work for a commercial cleaning service & I still can’t find 409 spray, haven’t seen it since March 15th! Sporadic appearances of generic brands of bleach wipes in the smallest containers (40 count). Bleach cleaning sprays in small amounts.
      Fireworks (illegal in Illinois) were going off EVERYWHERE! We drove around to check them out & there was smoke in the air all over town. Hell, people were shooting off fireworks uptown. Cops here never bother us on the 4th or on new years Eve.
      Gasoline has went from $1.55 back up to $2.39 😞
      Sundance, we’re NOT Chicago down here, hope you’ll pass through.

• steph_gray says:

I too have been looking for 409 spray for months! It’s on my “weird WuFlu Shortages” list along with:

– Clear Dawn Dish Liquid (colors available)
        – Land O Lakes whipped UNSALTED butter that I use for baking (the salted is everywhere but unsalted has disappeared)
        – PopSecret HomeStyle 100 calorie pop bags (if popcorn isn’t in calorie-controlled portions I can’t do it)
        – Bob’s Red Mill Whole Wheat Pastry Flour

I actually bought some of the latter two items online at somewhat crazy prices. The popcorn wasn’t too dear but the flour was kind of crazy My honey pie adores the cornbread I make and I can only make it with that flour so I indulged us…

28. Little Berkeley Conservative says:

I live in a very, very small rural neighborhood just a hair from Santa Clara County.

We had our own tiny 4th of July parade. The actual usual parades were all canceled. We had horses, ponies, parents and kids. A woman played her uke and sung all the 4th favorites. Some wore masks, some did not. I didn’t wear a mask and nobody said anything. I followed up our parade in an UTV with my three dogs. My neighbor was installing a stop sign on the rear and he noticed my Trump2020 sticker. Very quietly he said he loved it. I never would have figured that he and his wife are PDJT voters!!!! We discussed how this is beyond politics and is truly spiritual and a fight of good against evil.

My neighbor went to church on Sunday and was not allowed to sing!

My neighbor went to church on Sunday and nobody was allowed to sing!

I didn’t repeat that by mistake!

29. Donzo says:

Belly of the Beast. Reporting in two days late from San Francisco. 4th of July festivities including a swamped Golden Gate Park on a miraculously non-foggy 4th with nary a mask in site. After tearing down the statues of Francis Scott Key, Junipero Serra, and Ulysses Grant And defacing former slave Cervantes the natives are restless, hungry and apparently need to take a breath without a mask.

30. Texian says:

Here in Houston.. You can’t eat.. they won’t even let you go inside.. mask or no mask..

They will “let you” feed out of a styrofoam tray like a stray dog in the parking lot though..

They can kiss my ass..

31. grrizzly says:

I live in an inner suburb of Boston. 95% of pedestrians on the street have been wearing face masks for the last 2 months. It’s actually less oppressive in downtown Boston (Backbay, Boylston/Newberry st.) I’ve been ignoring signs to wear masks in any store for many weeks now. There’s no or very little push back: Karens don’t work retail.

32. Lynard says:

Here in Ogden, UT it’s not business as usual, but close to it, masks not required in public. Just south of us is SLC, it’s ran by libs so you can imagine how intolerant they are there. Rural areas and smaller cities in Utah are, for the most part, really good people with strong communities. Just avoid the big city. God bless and thank you for your spirit., Sundance. Your work gives us all much needed hope and increases our faith. Mí casa es su casa.

33. kabbie says:

South Texas-number of cases are on the rise. Masks are mandated and majority of people are complying. Impacts….church services back to virtual because of number of cases in the local community and possible exposure, family reunions canceled, family celebrations canceled, fewer people at high school graduation means family can’t be there, a lot less going out and about because of older family member….lots of people scared…parents and teachers anxious about what the coming school year is going to look like…the list goes on. As for economic impacts…businesses are open and running. Some restaurants that had their dining room open are back to curbside….I find it all to be quite depressing. Seriously questioning which side the Abbott is on.

• steph_gray says:

It makes me so crazy that people get scared about the number of cases increasing, when it is actually good news for the death rate which is plummeting!

Way past time to break up the enemedia, or for the FCC to go after their Pravda behavior, or something!

34. TreeClimber says:

Summerville now requires a mask out in public (which isn’t surprising, they’re always on a power trip up there.) North Charleston currently doesn’t have any kind of mask mandate (which is surprising, because usually they’re on a power trip down here too.) No one regards it much anymore; only about a quarter to a third of the population is still wearing them in places where it’s not required and about half of them have the masks beneath their noses anyway.

No one seems interested in enforcing masks; we saw a couple of police officers the other day, neither of whom had masks. Walmart nominally requires their employees to wear masks but I’ve started noticing a few rebels.

The weather is blazing hot. I’m almost dying, no way some puny foreign virus is surviving. 😛

• TreeClimber says:

Forgot to mention, many restaurants are open for inside dining again. Including buffets, yay!

• nationalboardertified2001 says:

Tree Climber, here in Mt Pleasant the mayor has mandated masks in any buildings. My husband was asked to leave our Publix because he did not have a mask. I avoid the grocery stores now and only go to pick up bare necessities. It’s like the walking dead with all those masks. And God forbid you go the wrong way down the one way aisles!! I’m spending less money because of their fear mongering.

• TreeClimber says:

That doesn’t surprise me. The Mt. Pleasant officials we met through the Charleston County GOP affairs were always puffed-up self-important little popinjays.

• TexanInFL says:

Used to live in Goose Creek…called Mt Pleasant…Mt Plastic. Those hilarious women in their SUVs and more plastic in their faces, boobs and butts than a water bottle factory.

• steph_gray says:

I’ve thrown that stupid business of walking a directed way in stores to the wind now. I just laugh and walk the way I want.

Arrows? What arrows?

35. skochnsoda@yahoo.com says:

Art in now famous Lincoln County, OR, where the county exempted POC (and then reluctantly withdrew) from wearing masks. [Note: their exemption was verbatim wording from OR state health department, btw]. Anyway, we are a coastal, low resident population county,, and so right now all restaurants, hotels and even the main attraction casino is open. Masks required HOWEVER, there is a blanket exemption in the edict from the state that if you have a health condition that prevents you from wearing a mask YOU DON’T HAVE TO, and businesses are not allowed to ask you anything about it. My experience is I walk in without a mask, no one says anything. Costco did ask once and I said “medical condition” and got immediate green light to continue in. My medical condition, privately, is depression due to Democrats have controlled this state for over 30 years.

36. appraisher says:

I’m in the Peoples Republic of NJ, where Governor Granny Killer set up a 3 Phase opening, then arbitrarily changed opening dates on a whim…indoor dining was to start July 2nd, but now it’s on hold “indefinitely”. Reason given? Murphy is “uncomfortable” with the spread in OTHER STATES, and feels that NJ residents have been “careless” in carrying out his diktats.

We’re now 2 weeks into Phase 2, with most stores open, but gyms and public pools are closed. Restaurants are relegated to take-out or outdoor dining and masks are mandatory to get into ANYTHING.. Capacity is only allowed at 25%. Also, schools may or may not start in September …more arbitrary whims. Many, many stores will never reopen…Mission Accomplished!

Will be going down the shore (NJ speak for a vacation at the beach) for a week, and understand that motel/hotel pools were just allowed open (at 25% capacity) and to use the beach and ocean you must Socialist Distance, to walk the boardwalk, you must wear a mask. Many restaurants and arcades didn’t open because getting help is very difficult. Wildwood NJ has contracted with other countries to provide a young summer labor force for decades, and many of those foreign kids are not allowed to travel here, due to Wuhan. Also, a large segment of local workers are afraid to go back to their jobs using Wuhan as the excuse (unemployment+bonus cash, don’t cha know). I do understand from friends that most people are ignoring Murphy and having fun anyway. Will post again when I have more Shore info.

NJ people are skitzo, half the people have had enough of this shit, the other half are still terrified…guess which half I’m in.

• Tess from Philly says:

Yes! The jobs are everywhere! Even my 15 year old got hired by a grocery store. It’s a good job that they normally won’t hire for at his age. My daughter was in Avalon last week and she said it was mobbed and nobody was socialist distancing

• Rosalyn Hudson says:

Me too – same category as you ! I was taken to task last week at the bank and super market for not wearing a mask. I explained I had a lung disease and could not breath when I wear the mask. Customer in supermarket accepted that, but bank teller told me I could not come into the bank anymore. I plan to speak to the manager. . .

• appraisher says:

Was at the hair salon today with my mask on and only took it off for her to wash the shampoo out of my hair. It was only my stylist (personal friend) and myself there, until a woman walked in with 2 masks and latex gloves on, trying to get a walk in appointment when the sign on the door said “No Walk-ins Due To Covid, Appointments Only”, then proceeded to berate me for taking off my mask…while she was in the shop! She went on and on about “this deadly disease” “the climbing death toll” and how I was being “cavalier by not listing to the experts”.

NJ folkss are getting crazier by the second.

• hocuspocus13 says:

appraisher…
      🇺🇸
      The Jersey Shore Beach and Boardwalk is open …

• appraisher says:

Yes, I know the beach and boardwalk are open. Rides not running and not sure if the arcades will be open. No indoor eating either.
        That’s where we’re heading, we have a condo there.

37. Awkward Silence says:

Here in the Santa Cruz Mountains of California we mostly ignore it. In Silicon Valley it’s a mixed bag. The city of San Francisco is it’s like something out of a dystopian nightmare. None of us want to even go there. But occasionally we have to. Anyway thank The Lord we have acreage. All our friends come up and we work the land and I teach their parents how to drive the tractors and take their kids on rides.

38. Tess from Philly says:

Masks are mandatory here in the Philadelphia area. The mayor is keeping the city restaurants closed for indoor dining until August 1, but the surrounding counties’ restaurants are now allowed to operate at 50% capacity. We’ve been out to restaurants these last two weekends and they’re ghost towns. People here are still scared.

39. JoeJoe says:

I’m in San Diego, Gitmofornia.

Working from home, ready to pull what’s left of my hair out. If I do, won’t need a haircut–the hair salons and barbers are closing down again, as are restaurants.
    Had a bunch of folks celebrating the 4th where I am–a younger area of the city. Lots of fireworks and “booms” til 3 AM. Didn’t call the cops–I stayed up and enjoyed it. Hot girl across the street doing yoga outside on driveway. Small apartment? No mask.
    Friend went to Coronado over the weekend. He and his family wore face masks to the beach, most folks there did not. (Very conservative area, island. North Island and Marine Amphibious base there).
    Tonight (11:50pm PT) got a damned police helicopter going over and over out there. Maybe someone went for a walk without a face mask.

40. remnant179 says:

The COVID lifestyle on the beautiful Olympic Peninsula in Washington St is best suited for people who enjoy solitary or small group activities like gardening, hiking, camping and fishing. Most of the festivals and fairs have been cancelled. Jay Inslee, the dictator / governor and the public health bureaucracy are constantly issuing edicts and threats about wearing masks and closing and opening businesses, government offices and churches. No point listing the rules here because they could change tomorrow morning.

When I really want or need something like food or a haircut, I just deal with whatever rules are in effect at that moment. Compliance depends on the situation. Enforcement depends on the locality. Life in a post-constitutional dictatorship is about finding ways to survive while the government devolves into a failed state. Ironically, the social institutions we built to sustain us in hard times have been destroyed by virtues signalers demanding obedience to the corrupt, failed state.

41. Emily Summer says:

We live in north central Idaho and nobody wears masks except for the occasional old lady. Restaurants are open as are all other businesses.

42. birdluver says:

Kako, I had the metal mouth last year from OTC cough syrup. I purchased Herb Pharm cilantro tincture from Amazon. Metal mouth went away in about 2 weeks. Take only 2-3 drops a day or you’ll have a major herxheimers effect.

• Kaco says:

birdluver, thanks! I just noticed your comment, I appreciate your tip! Still waiting to hear back from the doctor. Sent a message through their system and called the office. Said I hope I don’t have to wait three days. Drank some milk today, but it is way past when I last took the zinc now.

43. SD seems to be asking what are the local COVID-19 laws and rules being enforced in your area. But we must remember these laws and rules, be they social distancing, wearing of masks, closing down commerce, churches and schools, testing and tracking, and restricting people to their homes, are there to undermine support for President Trump. So it might be good to also describe what support for the President is like in your area or County. Are these rules effective.

I live in Logan, Northern Utah. We are strongly Republican, even more than the rest of Utah in general. But we have an entity called the LDS Church. While officially neutral on the President everyone knows the Church doesn’t like Trump. Does that mean Mormons don’t support the President, no. Most Mormons support the President even openly. Most Mormons are not that devout in Utah. Most can’t even go to the Temple. If you want to get married you have to pay your way in (updating your tithe). So if your not a devout Mormon and the Church is officially neutral on Trump then you feel free to support him. Now the more devout you are, and if you want to gain favor with your bishop then you become more like a Romney and Evan McMullin. You say you are too Republican too support the President. Now really only about 2/3rds of Utah is LDS now, a bit more where I live. Salt Lake City is Democrat with it’s gay Mayor, and we have Catholics and a few Evangelicals, not many Blacks (University students).

So how is support for the President here in Utah and Logan. In 2016 Trump got 46% of the vote, Clinton got 27% and the never Trump McMullin got 22%. Trump got all 6 electoral votes while receiving less than the majority. Now there is no organized never-Trump candidate, and Trump is very popular. People like Romney are not popular and would barely win if he was running for the Senate in 2020 and only because he has the support of the Church. Support for Trump in Logan is very high but you won’t see signs or MAGA hats. That would be like poking at stick at the beehive of the LDS Church. I would say Trump is 70%, Biden is 25% and other 5% in outside Wasatch Front (rural Utah), and 55% Trump, 40% Biden, and 5% other in the urban and populated areas. So statewide Trump might get almost 60%, less than half of the never Tumpers would flip for Biden. Romney term doesn’t end till 2024 and no one thinks he will run again. He only ran in 2018 to be a thorn in Pres. Trump’s foot. Luckily he failed at that and is largely ignored.

So in the end the COVID-19 rules haven’t been able to turn the State of Utah or Logan from Pres. Trump.

• D W says:

I’m seriously concerned about where the Church stands. I’m not ‘active’ but am local. Do you ever go to KSL.com.? I get my local news there and over the last few years it’s gone dark blue. As, or more Left than sites like Politico, I’d say. Crazy times.

As for southwest Utah, like the guy in Montana said, What COVID?

• If the Church was favorable toward Trump he would up an additional 5 to 10 points state wide. Remember Romney got 73% in 2012 and McCain got 62.5% in 2018 because the Church supported them vocally. Now people will vote for Trump no matter what the Church silently thinks over Biden. I voted Third party those years just as a statement against the Establishment Republicans. We all knew how Utah would vote.

44. I have a question. Are “Karens” the old ladies that insist that every one wear masks, the old lady that has a fit if you ask them to wear masks, or the old lady that insists on talking to the manager about all things masks.

45. Tiffthis says:

Southern California, the Valley. Masks to get in anywhere. Short, quick lines for groceries- sometimes no lines. My 6yr old broke his arm July 4th- the hospital emergency was 3 hrs start to finish. No covid patients allowed in. They only let 1 parent in the hospital with my son- the rest wait outside. Today was the last day of x-rays (he had 4 x-rays in 2 days, talk about excessive) and finally got a cast- splint the other days. IMO , Cali is billing people with insurance to cover the costs of losses from March to now.

46. Rita E. Johnson says:

Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. Lots of tourists, kids outdoors, barbecues, baseball and boating. Very few masks; just some old Libs here and there yelling “Where’s your mask?”…and “you kids get off my lawn!” You know the type. We have curbside and home delivery of groceries available, restaurants open, most have outdoor dining. Real estate off the charts as people are scooping up vacation cottages and year round homes, escaping from Massachusetts and New York, et al. It’ll be interesting to see the population shift when all this is over.

• nhgardengram says:

Live in same area, Rita. I would just add that most stores request you wear a mask and comply with 6 ft distancing, but they don’t enforce it. I believe it is only to comply with State recommendations. Most people do wear their masks inside a store; however, as more summer visitors come up, and younger ones, I’m seeing less masks being worn.
      Our COVID numbers are and have been very low in the Lakes Region of NH.

47. Jhixon says:

Tucson, AZ, here. Before Governor Ducey issued his mandate ( everyone must be masked in public places) there weren’t that many people wearing masks, out and about. The whole “social distancing, shut down schools and businesses, wear a mask” mindset seems to make frightened people feel safer.
    Along with Ducey’s recent mandate, or should I say, “on cue and in lock step” with it, the local news stations are ramping up the whole “the CV-19 spike is getting worse and worse” frenzy. They are fanning the flames of public fear, IMO.
    I belong to the “Nextdoor” online neighborhood network. I see people’s comments regarding masks, social distancing, etc. It seems that the frightened, compliant, ( brainwashed) people are the most vocal and insistent about compliance. The more independent types are less vocal about their not accepting the media brainwashing.

My own personal experience with it is this: I am 67 with a somewhat weak immune system. I have a 74-y.o. friend with heart disease and a pacemaker. Before Ducey’s mandate, we went shopping and outdoors without masking; and frequently forgot to wash hands after coming home from wherever. Some stores were busy and somewhat crowded, so social distancing was not always practiced by shoppers in these stores. We also did not wipe down and sterilize everything we touched….
    Lo and behold, neither of us got sick. One frightened relative and one frightened, self-confessed socialist friend tried to shame and “re-educate” me whenI told them this. Yes, to them, people who think outside the propaganda are “dangerous”.

I believe that the statistics about CV-19 that show its infection and morbidity rate to be similar to seasonal flu, are correct. That being the case, I wonder why all of the panic, fear, masking, distancing and paranoia is “necessary”. I am also aware that there have been official changes in the definitions of what counts as a cv-19 infection ( creating a broader, more general and encompassing criteria); and that one commonly used test only tests for the general presence of ANY corona virus…not specifically for #19.

• Najarati says:

As a fellow Tucson resident, I can confirm Jhixon’s account. Before Governor Ducey’s (stupid) mandate, mask wearing was a mixed bag depending on where you went. At the LA Fitness I attended, almost nobody but staff wore masks. In grocery stores, it went about 50/50 depending on the time of day; always seemed to be more in the morning than evening, but that’s purely anecdotal. After the mandate, gyms are closed and most folks at the grocery store I visit wear masks. At restaurants, it varies. If customers eat in the dining area, most aren’t wearing masks (obviously), but I saw one gentlemen putting his mask on between bites of food. I wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry.

I don’t wear a mask while eating out. Fiddling with it while trying to eat strikes me as moronic and wearing one for the ten seconds I’m in the lobby isn’t going to make a difference. That said, I do keep my distance and I’ve always been big on washing hands even before all this rampant fear mongering about a virus you wouldn’t even know existed save for the news and people having masks slapped on their faces. The few people I know who’ve tested positive for the virus had either no or very mild symptoms. Nothing I’ve witnessed or read in independent media (I dismiss the 24/7 panic fest of the mainstream media) has justified these lock downs. Stress is high among the few restaurant owners with whom I’ve spoken since I’m a regular at several.

Ducey has made a big deal about “burst testing” and rising case numbers. Naturally, the more you test, the more “cases” you’re going to find. I’ve heard rumor many of the cases originate from the border, but I’ve no proof. My biggest concern is if the leadership at the University of Arizona decides not to allow students into the dorms for the upcoming semester. If students aren’t allowed back into the dorms I’m likely facing the loss of my job after nearly fourteen years of employment.

48. Angus says:

I know you know. Just make sure all tee’s are crossed

49. KaweahKid says:

Here in Hawaii masks are required outside and in any indoor (public) place. Groups larger than 10 are verboten unless clusters of family groupings are observed, along with continued social distancing. My spouse and a few others are using face shields instead of masks, and aren’t being challenged by anyone. People generally are compliant, but most say they’ve had enough of this nonsense. Economically, conditions are atrocious in this tourism-fueled state. Hawaii’s egregious General Excise Tax (Pyramid tax) scheme is netting the State quite a bit less than normal, so I have to wonder about the general IQ of our public “servants”…

50. Logicallyskeptical says:

Eastern NC here. We are under statewide mandate. Business owners can be charged with a misdemeanor if not enforced. Most folks are wearing masks at retail stores. Not so much at gas stations. Restaurants are open for dining @50%. Some are requiring that you wear them until you get your food, others until you are seated. Employers are mandating them for most employees. Most businesses have signs on entries saying to wear them but none are enforcing it. Including retail stores like Wal-Mart. We have the signs on our doors but aren’t enforcing it where I work and we’re told by management not to hassle anybody about it. “We aren’t the mask police or mask Nazis” is what we were told. Our county sheriff told the local newspaper that his deputies will not be citing business owners for not enforcing the mandate or customers for trespassing if they refuse to wear a mask. He was quoted as saying “call the State” that they weren’t participating in such nonsense. A lot of people from states that have Dem governors and Mayors that I have interacted with wear them. Some were relieved and quit wearing them others were mad when they saw others not wearing them and complained. Mostly Karens.

• bertdilbert says:

The women are the worst. Somehow they feel empowered to enforce mask wearing by giving you known dirty looks. Men don’t seem to do that as much. Possibly because they could get punched in the mask.

• madeline says:

So true Bert. Mostly the younger “women”.

• paulashley says:

While I’ve noticed that the masked are predominantly female, I’ve yet to be publicly accosted by anyone for not masking. But then, I’ve not been shopping since the NC mandate went into effect. But last week I did close my account on a local neighborhood website (Nextdoor-dot-com) because the “morally superior” Karens there had become intolerable.

• Rural northern NC Piedmont: no masks outside; most wearing them inside except at the hardware store — manly mask free zone there. I haven’t worn a mask until this week when our fraudulently elected Gov handed down his edict. Ripping my mask off when leaving the p.o., black guy getting out of his car next to me (I am white) says,”Good morning. How are you?” me: “I’ll feel better when we’re done with these things (hold up mask)” BG: “Ain’t that the truth! I only wear it when I go in places because people look at you funny if you don’t. But I can’t breathe in the damn things!” And so BLM notwithstanding, in the rural south, the races are united against our common enemy: The Mask.

• ncedgar says:

BG is on to something. “I can’t breathe… in a damn mask” sounds like a slogan for new anti-mask wearing movement. Near Pinehurst NC (south central), the editorials in the newspapers and people on message boards are Dudley Do Rights complaining about other people not wearing masks. Even calling out the county sheriff’s office, who will not enforce the governor’s exec order to wear masks, to ‘enforce the law’.

• graciegram says:

Hi ncedgar, Jackson Springs here. I can’t breathe in a mask either. Read somewhere today, that more and more people are showing up in emergency rooms because of fungal lung infections from wearing a mask. No thanks.

• H.R. says:

ncedgar: “BG is on to something. “I can’t breathe… in a damn mask” sounds like…”

…sounds like what’s going to be on the T-shirts I’m going to order.

After Hillary’s “deplorables” comment, I went online and ordered a couple of T-shirts with “Deplorable” on the front. It’s cheap enough to do nowadays even in quantities of 1 or 2 shirts. Oh, and I also ordered a “Deplorable” hat. Few comments back then but lots of supportive looks and thumbs ups.

I think it was around $30 +/- for a couple of shirts and the hat.

I’m expecting the same or better reactions to this T-shirt, and what can a Karen say? Any Karen comment will be met with, “So you are personally trying to kill me?”

(Big, big H/T to vicarioushikermom and ncedgar.)

• steph_gray says:

You just gave me an idea for the next label to put on one of my masks – “I can’t breathe in this thing!” Maybe with a picture of Rick Moranis from “Spaceballs.”

• paulashley says:

Regarding race relations in the deep south, while it’s only anecdotal, they certainly are not what the left imagines them to be. During all the racial tumult going on across he nation I’ve been on several hikes where I’ve seen racially-mixed groups and no one – no one – bats an eye.

• LookUp says:

I live in rural upstate New York. No one bothers with them here but downstaters. No business cares if you wear them or not despite mandates. You always have a Karen or two that perpetually bellyache but no one says a word when you don’t wear them. When they muster up the courage to ask you why you are not wearing a mask, I tell them I grew tired of waiting for my fellow American to figure it out. Most usually smile and shake their head in agreement. The nearby cities are mostly mask wearers but no mask Nazzis.

• Marian says:

It’s important to read Executive Order 147 and not rely on what others say about it. There are exceptions to the EO, in Section II, Section 3.5, C we are given a medical exception. Further down, we are given the right to claim a medical exception without having to provide documentation. In F 1, businesses can take our word if we claim an exception and they do NOT have to enforce anyone to wear a mask if the person claims a medical or behavioral exception. Remember the video showing a decrease in oxygen while wearing a mask? That’s a medical exception, and everyone has it. I have asked employees at two different grocery stores if they will let me shop without a mask and both stated they were not in the enforcement business.

Click to access EO147-Phase-2-Extension.pdf

• Treeper 46 says:

Marian — YES — THIS ^^^ Rendering Coopers mandate basically unenforceable.

• paulashley says:

I read that when it came out but if you read further, the medical exception does not mean you can enter an establishment unmasked, but rather that the establishment has to provide a way to accommodate you, say with curbside service. So you’re still treated like a second-class citizen. Regardless, where I live in western NC, many establishments aren’t enforcing masking anyway, and that is an encouraging thing to see. I’m praying Cooper will get the big boot in November.

Oh, another thing that gets me about Cooper’s edicts is their implication that it is mask wearers who are being discriminated against. It’s the total opposite of course.

• Marian says:

Yes, a business MAY choose to offer an alternative, but, in my experience, they are choosing to let us shop without a mask. Karens on NextDoor are having a fit about this, claiming the stores are not obeying the EO, when, in fact, the stores are following the EO to the letter.

• paulashley says:

I haven’t shopped here since the mandate (dropped down to SC) but my wife experienced what you’re seeing, though admittedly she’s only been to the grocery store.

Yes, next door Karen’s were terrible and makes me sad to see so many unreasoning people out there. I had the impression they would rat out businesses to the state gestapo.

• paulashley says:

Here in western NC south of Asheville I see about what you’re seeing in the eastern side. Lots of masks at retail stores even before the mandate which, given that this is Trump country, is a bit depressing.

Post-mandate, not wanting to be forced to wear a mask, I’ve done most of my shopping across the border in SC, but my wife told me the local Ingles grocery had signs for masking and a box of them at the door, but wasn’t enforcing the mandate. I haven’t eaten out in awhile so can’t tell bout restaurants; I just can’t see paying for a restaurant experience only to be treated like I’m a danger to everyone.

We did have great fireworks on the fourth and I saw only one mask and that on a young man who was jogging alone (what was he thinking?).

Since moving here in retirement four years ago I’ve been heavily involved in the large local music scene. Many friends, who rely on gig-money to supplement their income, have been devastated by Governor Cooper’s actions that closed most of the music venues. Live gigs are slowly making a comeback but nowhere near the normal level. There’s a big concern that many of the venues won’t ever be back, having been driven out of business.

I’ll also mention that I continue to see no racial issues at all here. When hiking I often see mixed race groups and, as before the nationwide insanity, no one bats an eye.

I’m off tomorrow to visit see my new granddaughter in Colorado Springs and hope that when I get back a week later things will have improved, bringing my once-vibrant small town back to normal American life.