Remember Your Churches Too

I have been grateful and cheered to see lots of business owners, community leaders, city and county governments, and just individuals like you and me step up during this time to help those in need, by feeding the children who depend on school lunches, helping seniors who are home bound or not able to shop, volunteering in so many ways.

People are encouraged to help small business owners, buy gift cards, and even pro athletes are paying the salaries of those hurt by these shut downs. I’ve seen too many good causes to mention all here, and some truly special ideas, from having home bound kids write cards and letters to be sent to nursing homes, to wonderful videos of the indomitable spirit of mankind exhibited beautifully by people of all ages singing from their balconies in Italian towns.

I’d like to offer here another suggestion. If you are unable to make it to your church, synagogue, temple, or other place of worship, please remember your offering and make sure they get it. Lots of people won’t be attending services for awhile, and the doors still have to be kept open, power bills paid, and employees paid as well.

Priests, pastors, rabbis, all will still undoubtedly be available and rush to hospitals, nursing homes, and sickbeds to minister to their flock. There will still be baptisms, marriages, funerals, and hopefully, even First Communions soon.

If you do not have a regular church home, whether you worship outside a physical church, or just do not attend services regularly, perhaps you could find it in your heart to contribute to a nearby place or worship, or that of a family member or friend, or one you have seen on the news doing good works during this difficult time.

Whatever your faith or beliefs, please help support the good works and places of worship in our communities.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Remember Your Churches Too

1. MTeresa says:

That is so true. Thanks Menagerie.

2. jeffincher says:

2 Corinthians 9:6-8
    Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work

3. jeffincher says:

2 Corinthians 9:6-8

4. jumpinjarhead says:

Excellent, timely and MUCH NEEDED!

5. Big Jake says:

Sadly, too many places of “worship” have become havens for left wing activism. I send money to the Salvation Army. They stepped up for me once when nobody else bothered.

• Menagerie says:

Caution to readers. Please do not make this a political post. I will trash your comments and moderate future ones.

• wodiej says:

What do you consider political?

• Menagerie says:

Look, what Big Jake said is absolute fact and if it just stopped there I don’t have a problem with it. However, people go off the rails and turn a post like this into a place to rant about liberals, churches and church goers they don’t like, and every thing else they can think of to bitch about.

I am asking that this post simply be about the topic, which is a consideration to donate to places of worship. If you don’t like that, fine, but please don’t hijack the thread. I myself could agree with the comment and elaborate for hours on it, but I don’t want to do that here and further, I do not see that as unreasonable.

• Roni says:

Respectfully, Menagerie, thank you for the reminder to support our churches during the shutdown. However, your reply to Big Jake is a bit severe and assumes one person’s post will open the floodgates to other negative posts. Please have more faith in those who follow your topics, which are uplifting and enjoyable. Also, using the word b——, isn’t Christian like.

• Menagerie says:

Respectfully Roni, you don’t know the extent of what you do not see. Every time I do a post I wonder if I should just stop. It is very rare that all the mods don’t have to delete comments, which range from off topic political rants to real hatred, even to blasphemy.

It happens on almost every single post. My choices will soon be publishing these posts without allowing comments, which IMO stops people from sharing and caring and encouraging each other, or not doing them.

I’m quite tired of asking people to be sensible when it ought to be expected. Most are wonderful, a few ruin everything.

• Conservative_302 says:

I get what you are saying. I think I heard this at an AA meeting years ago. “Take what you can use and leave the rest.”

• wodiej says:

I guess telling the truth is political.

• MaryfromMarin says:

It was a “caution”, not a ban. The author of the post is requesting that commenters stay on the specific topic. That is reasonable. There are zillions of other places in which to talk about left-wing activism in churches–this is not one of them.

• Ninja7 says:

👌👍👍Yes.
          We (I) have a tendency of being caught up in our own (my) little world, with a severe case of tunnel vision. So thank you for knocking me out of my box and helping me to reassess. 🤗😊🤔🤔

6. jumpinjarhead says:

For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. 2 Tim. 1:7

7. hocuspocus13 says:

I volunteer for my Church St Nicholas food pantry… 😊

8. Pingback: Remember Your Churches Too – Get Right News

9. Lia Maltry says:

Thank you so much for posting this. As the operations director of a local church I am knee deep in COVID-19 and helping our pastors care for our community. There are so many needs spiritually, relationally and physically. We are engaging in specific outreach to our high risk community that are involved in our church or unchurched. We are assessing resources and needs of those that are being economically impacted. The church has an opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus during this time. May we not fail the great God who is not surprised by any of this chaos. May we in our own lives in our homes and streets bring glory to Him. Praying for all of you.

10. 4EDouglas says:

I’m on the receiving end of help for now .Friends and church due to my own issues (physical therapy for an old injury that flared up just as my wife had her stroke. Now I can’t see her
    due to the Corona virus clampdown… But I can call her. I’m blessed…
    Not bitter..

11. Pale rider says:

Good word Menagerie!
    It’s the way it’s supposed to be.

12. Kenji says:

Because of a death in our family, I just wrote a check for $5,600.00 to our church. For the Service and inurnment on the church grounds. I hope that cash helps our church during the closure. And yes, our Memorial Service has been postponed.

13. Johnny Dollar says:

Thanks for that reminder about my contributions to my church.
    I needed that.
    And I have, likewise, seen people coming out of nowhere and offering to help those , especially seniors, who may need it.

14. Doc Hellfish says:

I won’t give a dime as long as Wilton Gregory is the Abp of Washington.

• Nan says:

Then donate to a religious order or food pantry or meals on wheels. The archbishop is not the church and it is your Christian duty to support your church as you’re able rather than abstain because you don’t approve of the archbishop.

My church supports our local Franciscans food pantry, they’re in a poor neighborhood and also help refugees and torture victims.

Many years ago I visited the Basilica of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, which my friend told me was niolt with pennies collected by school children only to learn when I next saw my dad, that he was one of the school children who collected pennies to build the church.

All Catholics must support the church

• Juniper55 says:

I feel your pain. I think shutting down confession is ridiculous, spiritual intent notwithstanding. There are ways you can do it with complete privacy and no contact of any physical surfaces, or do drive-thru like the priests at St. John the Beloved in Bowie. My parish is locked up tight “for the health of Father X” with Susan of the Parish Council bearing the Sword of Saint Michael to bar the way, but one down the road started up confessions again. The priests there are young and preach well from what I’ve seen. Going there from now on.

15. Doc Hellfish says:

I won’t give a dime as long as Wilton Gregory is the Abp of Washington.

16. InAz says:

Thank you!

A much needed reminder.

17. Parker Longbaugh says:

As a Catholic I have not given a penny to the Church since the Pope resigned. Thank you for reminding me how my disgust for a corrupt leadership in one organization does not mean other non criminally ran groups should be forgotten.

18. chemman says:

I agree with much of what you said. However the idea that it is the priests or pastors responsibility to visit the sick is not consistent with what scripture teaches. See Matthew 25: 35-36. It is all of our responsibilities to do so.

As individual believers the pastor or priest has the same obligation as other believers to follow what Jesus says but we should not farm out our responsibility just because we have paid pastors or priests and then expect them to do the work of the Church instead of training us up to do the work of the Church.

19. Patience says:

Good timing and good ‘call to arms’, Menagerie.
    >One hand washes the other…… Pay it forward….. Love thy neighbor.

It is not what one has done
    It is not what one will do
    Be present; give.

20. kokopuf says:

Thanks for the reminder, Menagerie! Most of the churches in my area, including mine, have or will be closing for a few Sundays. I think this is a bad move, churches should be open during times like this. The local Catholic church that my wife attends is remaining open. Kudos to them!

• Nan says:

In 1918, my city’s churches closed for 2 wks. A mile and a half from my church, there’s a spot with 5 churches in a couple of blocks, 2 Roman Catholic, one Maronite, one Ukrainian Catholic and a Ukrainian Orthodox church. There are tons more churches in the neighborhood and throughout the city.

Social distancing works.

21. Beverly says:

I belong to a wonderful Church in New York City, St Albans. We are going to hold services until we are forced not to. But we are Christians and believers, and we are not buying what certain parties are selling.

• dwhitehurst says:

Kudos on that. My small Lutheran parish in northern Colorado is one of only a handful that is still conducting Sunday services (with every precaution we can take in terms of social distance spacing in the pews, sanitizer, no hand-shaking, and bidding all who are high-risk to themselves/others to stay home and receive the service via streaming). We’ve been ridiculed in our local press as being “ground zero”, though I would’ve thought any Walmart and grocery store would be much more so than us. I think of pictures from WWII of priests holding Mass in half bombed out sanctuaries.

22. Conservative_302 says:

The best feeling in the world is to do a good deed for someone else. Since we all come from God, your good deed is a good deed to God. It’s the happiness that makes our world go around.