Earlier this morning the Federal Reserve (Fed) announced a .50 drop in their lending rate in response to the potential for economic impacts from the coronavirus.  Following the rate cut Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell delivered a statement and held a press conference.  [Video Below]

This entry was posted in Big Stupid Government, CDC, Economy, Infectious Disease, media bias, President Trump, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Uncategorized, US Treasury, USA. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell Statement and Press Conference Following 50 Point Fed Drop…

1. Patriot says:

Our POTUS continues to WIN, WIN, WIN!

2. JonS says:

This guy can screw up a rate drop better than anyone in history

3. oldersoul says:

On Super Tuesday, with a Communist winning most races?

4. C says:

This is bizarre. Too many open questions still. Markets are extremely volatile. Unclear who knows what and if anyone knows anything at all. China’s bluff is taking the market down with it. Might be their intention through misinformation and the Fed is either panicking or collaborating with the Euro banks.

Trump is pushing for even MORE easing and rate drops though. It’s hard to tell what is real at this moment.

• VoteAllIncumbantsOut says:

Armstrong also warn this day and the 23rd was coming
      Like I’ve been saying…
      REPO CRISIS!

• VoteAllIncumbantsOut says:

The fed is trapped, it cannot exit the repo market or else short-term rates will rise sharply.
          By lowering rates when the credit risks are rising, this creates a real nightmare for the Fed.

I wish I could say more but I can’t.
          Just know that the ECB and BOJ are trapped into negative interest rates undermining the Keynesian model. This is not helping the Fed.

Study everything you can about this Repo Crisis and for god’s sake… don’t listen to the Gurus, they don’t know, understand or will play it off!

I just said yesterday on here, I don’t agree with fed rate cuts. Neither do the Markets at least today anyway.

• C says:

I think this is hyperbolic. I think the Fed just doesn’t KNOW because no one trusts China right now.

Trump has great intel with the federal government at his disposal. It’s possible they’re trusting him and going with the ride he’s setting up.

It seems even with all the best intel, the supply chains in China could completely break and cause a 20-30% crash regardless. We won’t know for a few more weeks or so.

• LafnH20 says:

FTA…

“The repo market is important because it serves as the grease that keeps the global capital markets spinning. In a repo, firms borrow cash from each other by putting up securities like Treasuries as collateral. When the agreement expires, the borrower “repurchases” the collateral and returns the cash, though in practice repos are often rolled.”
        more…

Bloomberg… 🙄

• The Demon Slick says:

Yeah you would think that someone would have asked him about that. Well, given the state of journalism these days, maybe you wouldn’t. Fed repositioning activities are sketchy but I think they were hoping for a cascade of business failures and that never happened. At any rate they can’t keep it up at this rate, it’s unsustainable. I believe that it has failed. But it’s not over yet and I might be wrong.

• Well, we know what isn’t real, and that is the MONEY.

5. Coronavirus panic was supposed to take down President Trump.

Instead it gives him the rate cut he’s been asking for for 3 years! LOL 😂🇺🇸

• C says:

Rate cut is great, but this might very well directly impact China’s supply chains, which we are still tied to. It can swing both ways. Unknown.

• GB Bari says:

“but this might very well directly impact China’s supply chains, which we are still tied to”

“we”?

You mean Wall Street Globalists are still tied to China.

Main Street businesses whose supply chains are primarily domestic aren’t affected.

6. The problem that I am seeing in my line of work is that construction costs have gotten way too high. Developers are starting to shelve projects and are not developing new projects. I saw the same thing in Texas in 2008. For engineers and architects, I expect a very bumpy next 10 months, followed by a soft 2021 for construction.

7. rustybritches says:

They just said on the news that when the Fed did the rate cut the markets went down big time nearly 800 points again today, and he would have been better off not to do anything than to just cut 25 basis points because President Trump asked for 50 so guess the markets are saying this emergency cut didn’t work for the markets Dam sure beating the heck out of me.
    wow hate this too much down turn..

8. David says:

I think it’s just a matter of nobody knowing how this will shake out and the Fed doesn’t want to be blamed for taking weak action if the economy really starts to slow. They would rather have to raise rates in the future in the face of inflationary pressures than trying to turn a faltering economy around.

9. ewreck1967 says:

The FED has done NOTHING right or for the average Joe since 08 and arguably since its inception. The day of reckoning is near and I fear it’s going to be on the president’s watch. Ponzi schemes only go so far and I’m still miffed on why he tied the DOW around his neck.

10. ltravisjr says:

I swear, Powell’s mouth alone is going to delay my retirement a couple years.

11. GB Bari says:

Powell stood there and lied thru his teeth.

The Fed does not make political decisions?
    He must think we are all illiterate.

12. Vince says:

I don’t see the point of a rate cut at this time. A rate cut is designed to stimulate business expansion, but what expansion would be going on at a time when COVID-19 is going to cause the public to stay at home and not spend?