Happy New Year Treepers

From all the crew here at the The Conservative Treehouse, we wish you the best new year ever. Over the years you have laughed and cried, celebrated and prayed with us, not only for our country, our President, and many events that have brought this rag tab bunch together in mutual interest, but for each other and our families.

We wish you the very best today and every day to follow, and appreciate the fact that you are here with us.

Some of us believe in New Year’s Resolutions and some don’t. In the past I have devoted a lot of time to coming up with too many things to put on my list. These past years I have greatly pared it down to a few things.

After that I looked underneath the one or two things most important to me, to see if I could think about specific things to bring about the end result I wanted, and work on basics.

This year I have yet another approach, but it is really hard to put into words and share. A few weeks ago our priest suggested (and of course I am paraphrasing his idea here, but trying very hard to stick to his meaning) that we limit God with our idea of who He is, what He is capable of, what His plans ought to be.

Because we are small, timid, afraid spiritually, and most of all perhaps, afraid to really trust Him enough, we stick to really little things, we approach the perimeters of His greatness, glory, mercy, and wonderful design, for us, for all humanity, for all of history, unfolding now and forever.

Despite constant evidence that great things are accomplished by people just exactly like you and me, despite the two thousand year history of Christianity, despite the ages old history of God’s faithfulness to His people, we cower and rarely venture out in faith, in hope, in charity, fully clothed in the power that is ours to call on.

This year I am going to work on changing my vision. Can’t say that today or any other day it will be a done deal, but I am going to try to remember to ask God not only for what might be no trouble for Him, some little thing that is likely to come my way anyhow. And nope, it won’t be asking to win the lottery or something along those lines.

I am going to try to open my heart, give God my fears and insecurities and let Him help me grow into whatever He might intend. That isn’t really easy for me, because first of all, I am a control freak. Second, I naturally try to boss people around, and I think I am pretty good at logistics and getting things done. I like to plan things.

Most of all though, I read a lot, and observe things. Giving God control is not an easy thing, and there actually is a lot that can be scary about it. He has a habit of taking a lot of people where they don’t want to go.

John chapter 21, v 18 says:

* Amen, amen, I say to you,j when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.”

Now, I do not expect to be martyred as St. Peter was, and every other apostle except St. John, but I do think that God expects me to sacrifice myself to His work and plans, and I absolutely have no agreement or basis of understanding for the prosperity gospel folks.

As I read the Bible, I am told that Jesus expects me, tells me himself, to take up my cross and follow him. And I should do it joyfully because he promises to help make that burden light.

So, this year I hope to work to trust that promise, and learn that way. I really suck at that. I’ve pretty much failed every attempt, with a few exceptions, exceptions that were in fact gifts of pure grace from God, not my doing at all, just rare moments of me not getting in His way.

So, this year, I figure my best bet is to start everyday with the truth. Jesus, Father God, Holy Spirit, I am afraid, I can’t do this, but I believe you can. Help me, lead me, carry me today, for I have nothing to give, so please, please, help me empty myself and let you do the work. I am not sure I even have the ability to crack the door open God, so please, would you just come in and get started on me today?

You see, I might never be courageous, faith filled, or even able to say yes and do it, even in little ways. But I finally believe that I can just tell Him that and hopefully hang on for the ride.

I hope you will pray for me, as I will for you guys. Happy New Year. Ask.Big.Things.

This entry was posted in Celebrations, Treehouse Campfire, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

280 Responses to Happy New Year Treepers

1. TradeBait says:

Thanks for opening up to us, sundance. Be blessed and trust his leading.

2. Dixie says:

So many nice comments…so many good wishes from EVERYONE! There is nothing left to say except I appreciate you all!

3. Laurie Walker says:

Thank you Managerie for your beautiful and very touching message.

I’ve bookmarked it, hoping your words will help stop the consuming hatred I feel when the left is being exceptionally vile, degenerate, viciously lying, and bent on the destruction of anyone or anything that gets in their way.

4. Daniel Maddux says:

That’s good food. Thanks!

5. I pray you are okay.

6. Happy New Year my fellow deplorables!💜

My New Year’s Resolution is to write 2020 and not 2019. I bet I break it by tomorrow!😂

7. mugzey302 says:

There really are only 2 things: Put God first in all things. Follow Him.
    The condensed precepts of God, from Micah 6:8 ~~
    * Remain just/right in all you do
    * Cherish compassionate kindness and faithfulness
    * Commit yourself to live in submission to your God
    ~~ May Almighty God bless us with courage and shalom 😇🙏

8. Rick554 says:

Happy New Year to all the Crew at CTH? And Thank You for the outstanding work you are doing. Thanks! Rick

9. Sepp says:

The New Year has an interesting history in Western civilization and brings to mind the topic of calendars.

If I remember correctly, the civil New Year used to start in March.

The new Ecclesiastical Year starts on September 1st.

There are several books and reliable websites that I would cite on the subject of calendars, but I am behind schedule today. No pun intended.

One of the most complete treatments is in a book called “A Scientific Examination of the Orthodox Church Calendar” by Hieromonk Cassian.

10. Tereese says:

“The Lord bless you and keep you
    The Lord show His face to you and have mercy on you
    The Lord show His countenance to you and give you peace. Num 6:24-26
    God Bless you Menagerie, Sundance and all Treepers.
    “For the sake of my brethren and friends, I say ‘peace be upon you,’
    For love of the house of the Lord, I will ask for your good.” Psalm 122:8-9

11. Jan says:

You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing and reminding us that with God, all things are possible.

12. Karen A Warne says:

Thank you for this post… it so represents what’s in my heart for this year. Your words were spirit filled and blessed and inspired my goal for this year… to let Him take the wheel.

13. Happy New Year my fellow patriots!!! To God be the glory!

14. FreedomLover says:

Thanks for your inspirational message.
    I’ve always thought it would be very worthwhile to take a year and simply read about and reflect upon God: who he is, his nature, what he desires for the world, and for each of us.
    I got a short introduction to that in the book “Knowing God”., but that was quite a few years ago. Time for a refresher.

15. Aver says:

Happy new year, stay happy!💫

16. lenmarstelly says:

Thank you for helping us all enter the new year with such beautiful thoughts, well wishes, and prayers! Gosh, we are so lucky to be in the Treehouse with you!