What desserts are you serving this Thanksgiving day?

Thanksgiving will be here before you know it. Stella has a post on desserts up and I’m looking forward to finding some new favorites. Help us out and don’t forget to share them over there for her people too.

Stella's Place

Several years ago I passed on the job of preparing Thanksgiving desserts (meaning pie) to my daughter and her sons. She told me that this year they are making a traditional pumpkin pie, sour cream apple pie, and my younger grandson is making some kind of chocolate pie (chocolate cream?)

When my mother was with us for Thanksgiving, we had to have jello. Her reasoning was that everyone was too full after dinner to have pie, but there was enough room for jello. She prepared it in some really pretty amber-colored sherbet glasses, and topped them with whipped cream. I’m afraid that the jello has gone by the wayside in my house!

View original post 662 more words

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

131 Responses to What desserts are you serving this Thanksgiving day?

1. jello333 says:

Wait… what?! No more jello?!!!

Oh well… 😉

But for us, it’s basically two things: Lemon meringue pie! Which is so good, I can’t figure out why we make it ONLY on Thanksgiving… weird. And then of course the other one is whipped cream… which means we need to bake a few pumpkin pies to go with it.

2. JAS says:

We are serving 5 different desserts but for me, one of my favorites ever is not homemade. It’s this one:

Bourbon Barrel Cake. It’s to die for!

3. Sweet potato pie. Made in a blender. It tastes just like pumpkin but is considerably easier to manage. (As always, I make pies and everything else strictly from scratch …) 👨‍🍳 😋

• Patience says:

Mike Robinson, Sweet potato pie was going to be my selection. It’s EVEN better than pumpkin pie!

Easy on the cinnamon , & a pinch of nutmeg & not too much sugar
      >and mmmmmm, yes!!!

4. chemman says:

I do a two layer Jello based desert.
    Layer one is (pick your flavor) Jello but I replace the cold water portion with 50/50 mix of heavy whipped cream and cream cheese> I use a blender and just follow the instructions for making regular Jello. Let it set and then add fresh fruit and the second layer of Jello (complementary flavor to what you used in the base layer) prepared normally.

5. TreeperInTraining says:

Pumpkin Dip.

*instant vanilla pudding
    *can of pumpkin
    *cool whip

mix them all together, and you have a marvelous (seriously marvy) dip.

Sprinkle a bit of pumpkin spice on top. ..and voila…she’s gorgeous!

Nilla Wafers make a fine dipper for this recipie.

This has become my easiest, most favorite item for the holiday itself or for those office pre holiday parties.

6. ATheoK says:

“Her reasoning was that everyone was too full after dinner to have pie, but there was enough room for jello.”

In your Grandmother’s youth, young women were told to eat gelatin to strengthen their fingernails and bones, with an additional bonus gelatin was alleged to help their skin.
    Jello filled that bill and it was exceedingly easy to prepare. Pies, back then, were hard work.

You might notice that few men older than children want jello.
    “There’s always room for Jello” was the advertising mantra for a very long time.

7. Cathead says:

Pumpkin rolls. They are a nice change from pie and incredibly moist. Everyone loves them. I usually make several and they freeze beautifully

8. bour3 says:

The pie pictured in upper left with the holes in the crust looks delicious but it would drive a person with trypophobia nuts.

9. amwick says:

My husband and I are traveling. We don’t exactly know what will happen for Thanksgiving, but I prefer a liquid desert. Take Bailey’s Irish Cream, and mix it with egg nog. We use Pennsylvania Dutch, which is spiked.

No fuss, no muss, easy cleanup! Full disclosure we buy Carolans Irish Cream, it is way cheaper, and just as good.

Cheers! chin chin!

10. Nonniemae says:

Chocolate pie, pumpkin pie and pumpkin cake. All homemade, of course!

Happy Thanksgiving!

11. Rosemaryflower says:

I am the boss of desserts almost every year.
    I used to do the whole meal at my house with 2 big tables and all of the chairs in the house thing, about 12 years ago, but now, I bring the desserts where ever I am appointed to.
    I bring pumpkin pie, apple pie and oat meal cookies and sugar cookies that are shaped like TURKEYS. I make all of it myself

12. My dessert will be a couple days late but sweeter and more appreciated by my family than any here: An Ohio State victory over Xichigan on their field, with us cheering in the stands.

13. laurelmarycecilia says:

Pecan pie, of course !!!! ( I guess I’m the only Southerner around here) And pumpkin….and apple…. never toooo full for dessert !

We’ve had turkey, gravy, Jimmy, Dean’s stuffing, praline sweet potato casserole, collards, mashed potato, copper pennies (carrots), green bean casserole – lots of French’s onion rings, Jiffy corn casserole, and ambrosia….oh and rolls (with irish butter) , pickled okra, jalapeno stuffed large olives, pimento cheese stuffed celery sticks, sliced tomatoes slathered with vinaigrette and topped with feta………. wash down with sweet tea or Pinot Noir

Day before, cooked most of it and set table with daughter and granddaughters. It’s Mass thanksgiving morning while turkey’s in the oven – then.eat.the.whole.day.long

• Somebody says:

I’m a southerner laurel, ambrosia him! I make it every year and spike it with a splash of grand marinier, it brings out the juice in the oranges. I also have to make my aunt’s congealed salad (jello), my kids call it “the green stuff”…….but I don’t count those as desserts 😂

14. L4grasshopper says:

Word just came down from the boss….she says pumpkin pie, cherry pie, and the best vanilla ice cream that can be found!

Simple…good.

15. Julie4Trump says:

Pumpkin pie with if course whipped cream, southern Dixie pie with vanilla bean ice cream, and Whole Foods chantilly cake with berries…

16. Rynn69 says:

Texas sheet cake, pumpkin pie, and key lime pie.

17. BebeTarget / abdb61 says:

Hot buttered rum (made with a combo of vanilla ice cream, brown sugar, butter and spices that is kept in the freezer. When needed, just scoop into a cup and add boiling water and rum) .yummy, creamy and warms you up. Sour cream apple pie, a mincemeat/cranberry pie and a French silk pie for the chocolate lovers.

18. TwoLaine says:

I’m making Kansas Dirt.

Oreos ground into dirt make the base. Throw them in a baggie and use anything hard and round as a roller to grind them up. 2 packages of pistachio pudding, make as directed, and mixed with a bag of mini chocolate chips. Pour on top of the dirt and let set in refrigerator.

Change up the pudding to whatever you want and chips to whatever you want, or not. Other bases can be graham crackers, vanilla wafers, sandwich cookies. The possibilities and fun are endless, and it’s easy!