Honoring Veterans Day…

Today is a special day.  It is an opportunity to pause and give thanks to those who serve in our military services, past and present.  Today is our Veterans Day.

This entry was posted in Celebrations, Military. Bookmark the permalink.

221 Responses to Honoring Veterans Day…

1. Phil says:

I would ask you to remember my 96 year old father-in-law, a WWll army vet. He is in hospice care now at our brother in law and his wife’s home. He had surgery last year and his health rapidly declined. He has slowly recovered then declined in cycles this past year. As some of you have told of others, as a 19-20 year old he saw many horrible things but did not talk about. A loving father, grandfather, and great grandfather who still has a happy laugh and enjoys his family. It gladdens my heart that he has lived to see one of our greatest presidents and Commander in Chiefs.

2. labrat says:

Truth be told, my dad hated every minute of being a soldier, but he went anyway to serve the country that he loved. He was reluctant to talk about the war – rarely spoke about it most of his life but we did manage to get this remembrance out of him for those of you interested in the average soldiers experience.

• Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

• MelH says:

labrat, I LOVED that true-life-peek into what soldiers had to endure. My Uncle, the only soldier in our family, never said a word about the past, but his son became a soldier who loved EVERY second he was in the Army and stayed there until he retired. There’s alot to be said to be 24/7 in the company of men who ALL have the same clear goal and the means to achieve it.

• Katherine McCoun says:

Thank you for sharing your father’s story. Wonderful that you got him to tell you the details! A real family treasure to pass down through the generations!

Great when men and women volunteer for service and even better when they love it and dedicate their lives to it. We are all blessed by their work and dedication, esp. in this time of all volunteer, high skilled fighting forces.

However, there is something special about those who go when the Need arises who don’t like it, don’t want to it, aren’t really the personality for it or have other careers….but they do it anyway, do it well with dignity and just as much dedication as the career men and women and they get the job done that history is asking of them for their nation, their home and their family. They can be counted on in times of need – answer the call, give it all they have. Some come back, some don’t. They do what is necessary. Real Men. Your Grandparents raised a good man in your father. One of so many to whom we are grateful and by whom our Great Nation is blessed!

Thanks again for sharing your dad’s story.

3. NJF says:

Thank you to all the veterans who are part of the Wolverine family!

So proud of POTUS & FLOTUS for kicking off the parade today.

Thinking of my dad today: US Navy WWII & Korea
    And my father in law: US Army Korea

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

4. faridrushdi says:

I’m 63. I’ve seen a lot and experienced alot, across this country and around the world. Of all of that, my most favorite memory were the three years I spent stationed in Okinawa Japan. Kadena was a large Air Force base. With civilians and families, we probably had 30-40,000 people living there. It was an island of patriotism. I can’t speak for today, but then (1970’s) each of us saw it as an honor to serve our country. We had great housing, great shopping and great parks and schools. You didn’t have gangs or homeless or people trying to make your kids do stupid things. It was very much like an American city from the Midwest stuck in the early 1950’s time traveled to a tiny island in the South Pacific.

I miss it so much.

• pbr22 says:

President Trump has made it an honor again for soldiers to be appreciated by us, those that are served by our military.

• CM-TX says:

Ex-Hub (AF) was stationed there in the early 90’s- absolutely loved it also. Especially enjoyed the beaches & scuba diving.

• faridrushdi says:

I did so well in my A.F. tech school that I earned the right to choose my first tour-of-duty. I told the personnel guy that I just wanted to go somewhere that had right-side drive. I got to Okinawa July 24th 1978 and enjoyed the right side drive the island offered. Then, on August 1st, planned long before I got there, they turned all the street signs the other way and became left-side drive!

Turns out the U.S. had run the island since the war, using dollars as currency and right-side drive for the roads. President Carter decided to give it back to the Japanese and it was difficult for both us and the Okinawans. The Okinawans really didn’t want the change. They had always felt they were a semi-separate country and they hated the Japanese for what they did to the island & people during WWII. The Japanese army used them to fight that “last stand” against the U.S. I was there just 30 years after the war and wounds were still open.

5. pucecatt says:

Thank you to our Veterans, who at one point wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America “ for the amount of “up” to and including his or her life , there are too many people in our country who no longer understand that . 🇺🇸

6. Abster says:

Thank you all for your service and your many sacrifices. May God bless each of you now and forever.

7. I didn’t get a chance to put up my large flag, but I have a super light up flag so that when I get home tonight they’ll be honored as they fully deserve.

And they’ll get a special mention on my cemetery and I will drive by the Golden Gate cemetery in San Bruno that is final earthly home to so many of our best and bravest.

God bless and bring them home to Him.

8. highdezertgator says:

Salute to all who have served.
    Salute to my Uncles who served especially “Uncle Edgar” WWI “Dough-boy”.
    Salute to my three brothers who served in US Navy Pacific and Atlantic Fleets.

A special heart felt thank you to the Vietnam Warriors … most powerful memorial I have seen in DC… some names are not there… those who experienced “Agent Orange” …the silent killer!!!

POW MIA “You are not forgotten”

9. Sigh2016 says:

I was able to catch part of the President’s speech where he spoke about the veterans who fought in the Battle of the Bulge. It brought me to tears and made me angry at the same time. SO MANY of our relatives fought and many gave their lives and limbs and sanity to protect this country as others who honor its values. AND NOW THESE SICK, GREEDY, POWER-THIRSTY ingrates want to throw it back in our face and lead us into Socialism. THIS CANNOT BE ALLOWED. THIS CANNOT STAND!

10. The Demon Slick says:

God Bless all you Veterans.

11. jimboct says:

All of us who served our country in the armed forces gave of ourselves for freedom for all Americans.
    My service was during the gulf war. Some were called to grab a rifle, others were called to drive a vehicle. I was fortunate to serve our incoming MI officers as their red gamer. I used my God given talents in the best way I could.
    I silently weep for those who didn’t make it back (physically and mentally). Whether you were drafted or volunteered (draft= voluntold), you have my respect and appreciation. I gladly will fight again under the Stars and Stripes. I only wish VSGPDJT was my CinC back in the day. I had GHWB and he was far better to the soldier than WJC.
    Our unit motto was Toujours en avant. Always out front.
    Sundance is fighting the war against socialism and dare I say it communism here and now on his site. He’s teaching many what is going on and inspires us all.
    I’m grateful for Grandma’s Prayers and ristivan’s insightful legal analysis. Most of all, I appreciate what the rest of you bring to my daily reading.
    Toujours en avant brothers and sisters in arms.

• Bien sur, toujours en avant et egalite, fraternite et liberte…. The lady in the harbor gave us a bond that I know is not forgotten by many good people in France who are fighting as desperately as we are.

12. Motzilla says:

A national debt of gratitude that could never actually be fully repaid. Thank you, and God Bless each and every one of America’s honorable veterans all the way back to the colonials.

13. MfM says:

I’m sure that Trump is playing with the left. First he changes his legal residence to Florida and then goes to NYC for a fight championship at Madison Square Garden. Now Trump is the first sitting President to go to NYC for this Veteran’s Day Parade.

He still hasn’t gone to Arlington National Cemetery for Veteran’s Day. I don’t care, it’s not like he stayed home. Last year he took grief for not going to Arlington. The Armistice Memorial in France sort of was more important.

In 2017? He was in Asia at APEC and visiting countries like Japan, China, Vietnam and of course Korea. What Trump supporter doesn’t remember the ‘Fake News’ making a negative story up about how DJT feed the Koi?

That trip in 2017 had one of the most human moments for Sarah Huckabee Sanders when she was dealing with the aborted DMZ trip. She was standing there totally comfortable in an oversized Ranger’s Jacket, actually even with it she looked cold.

14. wyoskeptic says:

I grew up surrounded by WWII vets. My father, two of his brothers and my mother’s brother all answered the call by joining the Army soon after Pearl Harbor. My father was restricted to CONUS due to a mild heart condition, but my three uncles all were sent to and went through all of the Pacific theater actions. All but my father’s oldest brother returned home intact. My oldest uncle came home covered by the Flag he swore to protect. The youngest of my uncles came of age in time to Serve in Korea. My older brother served in the Navy but found himself in Nam back before anything was officially declared.

For the most part, there was nothing really noticeable about these combat vets other than what they never talked about. The only time they ever talked about their experiences — and then not in a lot of detail — was after they had a few (or more than a few) brewskis. It was eerie listening to these men talking about what they had been through, calmly — matter of fact — about it all. Often they would reach a point they simply could not talk any more. They would just sit there looking way off somewhere but not really seeing anything. (Or perhaps seeing too much.)

I always think of Kipling’s Tommy when ever Veteran’s day comes around. Every day should carry the respect for these men of days gone by and those of the present days. Anyone who has ever put on the uniform should be treated with the respect they deserve.

Kipling’s Tommy:

I went into a public-‘ouse to get a pint o’ beer,
    The publican ‘e up an’ sez, “We serve no red-coats here.”
    The girls be’ind the bar they laughed an’ giggled fit to die,
    I outs into the street again an’ to myself sez I:
    O it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ “Tommy, go away”;
    But it’s “Thank you, Mister Atkins”, when the band begins to play,
    The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
    O it’s “Thank you, Mister Atkins”, when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
    They gave a drunk civilian room, but ‘adn’t none for me;
    They sent me to the gallery or round the music-‘alls,
    But when it comes to fightin’, Lord! they’ll shove me in the stalls!
    For it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ “Tommy, wait outside”;
    But it’s “Special train for Atkins” when the trooper’s on the tide,
    The troopship’s on the tide, my boys, the troopship’s on the tide,
    O it’s “Special train for Atkins” when the trooper’s on the tide.

Yes, makin’ mock o’ uniforms that guard you while you sleep
    Is cheaper than them uniforms, an’ they’re starvation cheap;
    An’ hustlin’ drunken soldiers when they’re goin’ large a bit
    Is five times better business than paradin’ in full kit.
    Then it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ “Tommy, ‘ow’s yer soul?”
    But it’s “Thin red line of ‘eroes” when the drums begin to roll,
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it’s “Thin red line of ‘eroes” when the drums begin to roll.

We aren’t no thin red ‘eroes, nor we aren’t no blackguards too,
    But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
    An’ if sometimes our conduck isn’t all your fancy paints,
    Why, single men in barricks don’t grow into plaster saints;
    While it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ “Tommy, fall be’ind”,
    But it’s “Please to walk in front, sir”, when there’s trouble in the wind,
    There’s trouble in the wind, my boys, there’s trouble in the wind,
    O it’s “Please to walk in front, sir”, when there’s trouble in the wind.

You talk o’ better food for us, an’ schools, an’ fires, an’ all:
    We’ll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
    Don’t mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
    The Widow’s Uniform is not the soldier-man’s disgrace.
    For it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ “Chuck him out, the brute!”
    But it’s “Saviour of ‘is country” when the guns begin to shoot;
    An’ it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ anything you please;
    An’ Tommy ain’t a bloomin’ fool — you bet that Tommy sees!

Times change, but all too often people don’t. Sad to say.

15. lolli says:

By the way,

Echo Papa Sierra Tango Echo India November Delta India Delta November Oscar Tango
    Kilo India Lima Lima Hotel India Mike Sierra Echo Lima Foxtrot !

16. Lucille says:

Veterans Vignettes

17. Lucille says:

The Youngest Living Medal of Honor Recipient: Kyle Carpenter’s Story

18. TEWS_Pilot says:

9,000 Fallen Soldiers Etched into the Sand on Normandy Beach to Commemorate Peace Day
    SEPTEMBER 25, 2013
    CHRISTOPHER JOBSON

In 2013, British artists Jamie Wardley and Andy Moss accompanied by numerous volunteers, took to the beaches of Normandy with rakes and stencils in hand to etch 9,000 silhouettes representing fallen people into the sand. Titled The Fallen 9000, the piece is meant as a stark visual reminder of the civilians, Germans and allied forces who died during the D-Day beach landings at Arromanches on June 6th, 1944 during WWII. The original team consisted of 60 volunteers, but as word spread nearly 500 additional local residents arrived to help with the temporary installation that lasted only a few hours before being washed away by the tide.

19. jus wundrin says:

Thank you, and God bless my fellow veterans!

20. Raquel says:

Today I’m remembering my husband who passed earlier this year. He served in Vietnam around ’69 to ’70. I think I cried more today than at his funeral. He’s buried at Ft Indiantown Gap, PA. Lord Jesus, let him know that I miss him.

• Trog Luddite says:

Good reminder of why we should thank veterans’ families on this day as well. I missed four years of my kids growing up and four years of being with my wife. Every two years, she had to start her career from scratch as I PCS’d, sometimes to places where it took a year to get licensed in that state. At my last duty station, she told me that I was free to PCS as often as I wanted after 20, but she and the kids were done (and rightfully so). Numerous other families have the same stories and of course, many have suffered a far worse fate.

I thank your husband for his service and I thank you for standing by him for that terrible year.

• CM-TX says:

I’m so very sorry for your loss. May the happy memories bring you comfort & peace. Many thanks for his service.

• Katherine McCoun says:

Really says a lot about your husband and how important his time in the service was to both of you that you think of him so strongly on Veteran’s Day. Must have been impactful and meaningful to both of you. I can’t imagine how hard it was to be without him then, wondering if he was ok, would come home as well as now as you know he is ok but miss him so much and look forward to seeing him again. His time in the service is remembered and appreciated by us and my greatest sympathy to you as you live with his memories until you see him again.

21. Lucille says:

Thanks to President Trump, our Veterans are WINNING again:

He signed the V.A. Choice and Quality Employment Act of 2017 to provide $2.1 BILLION in funding for our Veterans

The Trump Administration created a new Official V.A. Hotline

His Administration secured a record $8.6 BILLION in funding for mental health services for Veterans

The number of unemployed Veterans has been reduced by 37% under President Trump

The President eliminated 100% of student loan debt for permanently disabled Veterans

22. safvetblog says:

US Air Force 1966-1995 – 14 yrs active, the rest reserves. “Reconnaissance Research Engineer” – worked in high-tech systems that provided vital information to help the war-fighters do their jobs. Very satisfying career. Was present at Westover AFB when the POWs were returned from Nam. Very emotional day. It was my privilege to serve.

• ann says:

🇺🇸♥️🌸. Thank you, Those were hard years, .🚀🚁🛫

• Katherine McCoun says:

You career sounds meaningful to you and important to our country! I can only imagine how emotional it was to witness the return of POWs. Thank you for sharing and thank you for choosing a life of service to the US and to us!

23. Lady in Red says:

I was across the street from PDJT’s speech today. I was on a corner directly across from the protesters. They were in the minority, and they were certainly not as loud as the MSM is reporting. I was standing with a bunch of well-behaved patriots, some wearing Vet attire and some, like myself, even had flags. We could hear PDJT, but I sure wish we could have seen him. They surrounded the park with garbage trucks and you couldn’t see anything.

• MfM says:

Garbage trucks are an amazing adaption for use blocking possible car/other vehicle attacks. They are heavy and big, and cities already have them.

I’ve seen them in even peaceful settings of street festivals, were they are blocking the street so no accidents can happen.

• Katherine McCoub says:

Thank you for being there to support POTUS and our NYC veterans despite protestors

VERY glad to have a ground report as we can NOT rely on the “news”!

24. patti says:

• mugzey302 says:

May God bless every veteran and active duty service member with courage and shalom, and all their family members. We are still in the fight for America, for our Republic, but on another battlefield. And, the soul of America is at stake in this fight. STAND!

25. 4EDouglas says:

My late father in law-was in the European theater WW2
    9th Armored.Div. Utah-Normandy then on to the Battle of the Bulge.
    Then Aachen, then Lubendorf bridge-Remagen-.Then to Dachau..
    Then Home-and called up for the invasion of Japan….
    Of course that didn’t happen.
    Prayers to all vets and tier families today..

26. markone1blog says:

My late dad was a Korean War vet who served as a mechanic and Sergeant in the USAF. Likewise, my great uncle (who would have been like a father-in-law to my dad) served in the Army Air Corp. Neither said much of anything about their service.

• ann says:

Mark, in my experience, w family members, , spouse, boyfriends, combat vets are usually silent.. at least w people who have not been in country /front line. ♥️

27. CorwinAmber says:

My old man is 100 and is still hanging in there…albeit slowing down considerably, sigh. An Airborne Company commander during WWII, he didn’t jump outa airplanes…he preferred a leisurely “glide” into the LZ. A prototypical son of the sod, he grew up in Nebraska and was already in the service when Pearl Harbor was attacked. It was the defining moment of his life from whence all else derived. Happy Veteran’s Day Dad…pray it’s not your last.
    Love, your son

• Katherine McCoun says:

Incredible! And 100 yrs old – A really special VDay for him I hope!

Do you have his story recorded? on video &/or paper? These histories are not just for the men who give them or even their families but for history, for future generations….remembering this friends, securing history and teaching future generations the events as well as the reasons, values, motivations behind those who served and fought. He saw and did so much – I hope his experiences are documented!

He is a treasure and I hope he knows he is appreciated!

28. coolmamie says:

My Dad, who came from a small east Tennessee community that was struggling to employ all its young men, was in Detroit on Friday, Dec. 5, 1941, securing a job with GM. He was to report for his first day of work on Monday, Dec. 8.

He never showed up to work that Monday. Upon hearing of the Pearl Harbor attack on Sunday the 7th, he immediately headed home to enlist. He served as a pilot in the Army Air Corps from mid 1942 through the end of the war. Northern Africa, England, France, Italy and the Middle East.

He made three drops of paratroopers over Normandy.

There is a picture that appeared in papers all over the US of my father and his brother, Jim, (a radioman and bombardier) shaking hands during a chance meeting on a Paris air strip. Uncle Jim would later be shot down and taken prisoner by the Germans during the last weeks of the War. My grandmother always kept those telegrams and letters. One telegram saying Jim had been shot down over German territory, a letter about how very sorry they were and where his effects were and how they could be claimed. Three weeks later, another telegram informing her that he had been liberated from a German POW camp and was now at a US Army hospital being treated for a broken ankle sustained when he parashooted from the damaged plane.

Dad was a Charter Member of the local VFW in Tazewell Tennessee, and met my mother, A Middlesboro, KY girl at a VFW dance.

*******

My husband was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam, Dec 1967- Dec 68. Soon after he arrived, the Tet Offensive began. In the first two weeks, over 3000 allied soldiers were killed. According to my husband, he lost 30 pounds during those January weeks of Tet – from pure fear.

I am so grateful he survived because he is the love of my life.

*******

There is a picture of my husband’s mother sitting at a small table in her kitchen during 1968. On the wall behind her is a calendar showing how she had been marking off the days until he would be coming home. And I still have the telegrams my grandmother received announcing that Jim was missing and then, that he was safe. What an agonizing three weeks that must

I think about them and all the other mothers and fathers who waited at home, and the grief many of them had to carry for the rest of their lives.

Veterans Day is, indeed, a consequential holiday. It seems to me it has been observed more actively in recent years, and that is a very good and proper thing.

• coolmamie says:

Oops. Not a Paris Air Strip. It was somewhere in England.

• Katherine McCoun says:

amazing family stories! what a heritage for your children! what an honorable family!

Thank you for sharing these stories. those 3 weeks….hard to imagine, painful to imagine, filled with so much gratitude that so many did so much for the freedom I blissfully enjoying on a daily basis ….and occasionally take for granted.

29. CM-TX says:

🙂 Saw this driving down the road today… 👋 🇺🇸

30. Except in parades, the men and women who have supported, defended, preserved, and protected the American republic often wear no badge or emblem. On a day dedicated to national memoriam, we do well to properly remember those who’ve served, even if we cannot personally name even one of them. Read more, and join the online discussion, at: https://rightmi.com/remember-them/

To all of my fellow veterans here today, for all that you’ve done for our republic, thank you for your service . . . and welcome home.

Kevin Rex Heine
    United States Navy (retired)
    Feb 1982 – June 2002

31. justafly says:

Researching my genealogy I found ancestors that served from the French & Indian War, Revolutionary War, all the way up to me as a Vietnam combat veteran. My father, the youngest of four, enlisted and was in training when WWII ended. His older brother lied about his polio and served with the Army Air Corps aerial reconnaissance, was electrocuted in France and survived with terrible wounds. My mom’s brother landed with the third wave with the 1st Infantry at Normandy beach. He had to swim ashore with no gear. Another uncle served on a Navy ship during WWII.
    Many combat veterans will tell you their stories, if you ask. Ask a veteran about their service.

32. Katherine McCoun says:

Interesting background to a song honoring a soldier who didn’t make it home.

More background

and the song

33. Katherine McCoun says:

Went to a great Veteran’s Day parade in Nashville today. We go every year and thank every veteran we see, every single one that passes by in the parade and buy a few a drink when we see them in the bars listening to live music after the parade.

When the float passed carrying Gold Star Families…I just choked up and tears spilled. Young and middle aged women with their children. Mothers of sons who died in service to the US and to us….I Cried. I am like then when it comes to the flag, patriotic music, etc. but look at those women and some with young children….ok – gotta stop ’cause here come the tears again.

I Love this song and cry every time. I heard it for the first time shortly after knowing I was expecting a boy. So meaningful as I knew that my own son might be called some day to defend and maintain our freedom, our country, our home and me, his own mother who was at that moment still carrying him. Serious to raise a boy who might need to go to war some day.

34. Katherine McCoun says:

I usually post this on Nov 8…missed this year.

Reminds us of the sacrifices made to maintain our freedom – including wars to prevent the Asian dominoes from falling to China/USSR/Communism.

Reminds us that our Veterans who see combat carry those memories forever – memories of their friends who don’t come back as well as the events they witnessed, participated in and lived through.

Nov 11 is good – but a remembrance, appreciate and support need to be throughout the year. Our Veterans are Veterans with their physical And emotional badges of courage as well as their memories Every Day of the year.

Johnny Cash – our flag and all the people, servicemen, history, accomplishments, ideals and values that she represents

Last one ….
    To all Veterans reading this: Many of us think of you all Every time we see the flag. Veterans, the MIA, the KIA, the Wounded Warriors, the Gold Star Families…they all flash through our minds because we know who gave us and who has insured that we have that flag and our freedom.

You all remembered and appreciated.

35. Katherine McCoun says:

One more comment and then I will stop and let someone else have a chance! ha
    (posted several comments because so important to me)

We go to the Nashville Parade every year. Have only missed 2 since we moved to TN – once for illness of son and once when my daddy passed.

Meet Great people Every year. People from around Nashville + tourists. Most of the live music venues (bars) allow children until 6 pm. So fun to go listen to music after the parade, dance, request lots of patriotic country music as well as some old school classics (I Always request Hotter than a 2 dollar Pistol & Okie from Muskogee + patriotic songs and other old school). I have memories of hold my toddler son and dancing around with him in my arms, of dancing with him as a preschooler and every as he grew, 2 stepping with him, spinning him around, teaching him to waltz (trying to teach him) to the slower songs. This was the first year no dancing with him (he suddenly spurted to my height and is now 13 – he will come back around and dance with ol’ mom in a few years, right?)

Veteran’s come and are so appreciative to us of being there and telling them thank you! How can I stay home knowing they are going to be looking at how many people bothered to come Thank them as they march past?

I encourage each and every one of y’all to make it a family event with traditions, a day off from work/school, discussion of the meaning of the day, participation in community events for Veteran’s and discussion of your own family’s history of service to our country. Plus how to remember and support our Veteran’s throughout the year.

Funny story – About 6 – 8 yrs ago the the guys driving the tanks (they come down from Fort Campbell and look awesome!) were having a ball in the parade showing what the tank could do, turning the . One of them stopped and spun (yes, I am sure I am not using the right words at all but this is what it looked like to a lay person). It was a tight turn and amazingly well executed. Was SO cool to see! However, the tight turn tore up the street pavement! Happened right in front of us!

the next few years the tank drivers were calmer, gun moving around but no fancy maneuvers. This year the tanks were on flat bed trucks that brought them down from Fort Campbell. Guns moving all around and everyone in full dessert camo and helmets, etc. as if in real maneuvers but 100% off the street also treads didn’t touch and streets that have now been fixed were safe!

When I saw them on flat bed semis I laughed out loud ’cause I could guess why!

Thank you all who are serving now and have served as you & your service are forever appreciated and remembered

and last one (this time I mean it)

Make sure your children and grandchildren know what this day is about. Memorial Day too – take it seriously as so often its just a cook out day or a travel day home from a long weekend. It is serious and deserves special attention, meaning, and family traditions even if they don’t take up the full day. Those who are serving, have served and have lost friends/loved ones Deserve for us to Remember in meaningful ways. And our own future depends on our children and grandchildren Knowing our history, our values, our Greatness!

36. Texian says:

Ok.. I’ll go next..

A Salute to those who shall remain anonymous..

To those who lived their creed.. even after the war..

If I had to do it all over again.. I would..

kisses and hugs..

Texian..

37. Pyrthroes says:

We were never endangered, but signed up for AFROTC at age 18. Awarded a rare Regular Commission, we did tours on remote intercept/surveillance sites in the Aleutian Islands and BRD venues. Danang and Saigon’s Tet Offensive struck close-home… decades later, we set these lyrics to an original tune, sung out at local Memorial Day foregatherings from 2002.

“Honored This Day”

Ever the Hosts of the Air that watch-and-ward travails afar,
    In silence may offer a prayer– in quietude, let a tear fall.

Where ranks turning homeward file past, as waters once parted, we stand–
    Hands upon hearts, banners sunk to half-staff, pilgrims wayfaring towards Promised Lands.

Nor trumpet nor any fanfare an errant quest hastens or stays.
    Whose deeds in good cause yet shine clear, once heeded a Call undismayed.

Hard fought, the Victory’s won. Posted now far-and-away
    To fields washed in sunbeams a-down, their sacrifice honored this day–

Acclaimed in cathedrals of grace, attended by Captains and Kings,
    Semper Fidelis, advancing apace, our defenders in Memory spring green.

— Memorial Day, 2002

38. boogywstew says:

All through junior high and high school the War in Vietnam raged on. Every week the news media made a big to do about the number of Americans killed. I am not from a military family but we were patriotic and I knew I would be a good citizen and enlist to defend my country if we were still at war as I couldn’t live with myself if I shirked my responsibility and someone “died in my place”. I graduated high school in 1970 when I was 17. My draft lottery was in 1971 and I was 99. I wanted to get in and out as fast as I could so I could start my other life so I went to see my friendly local recruiter. I decided to volunteer for the draft which meant a 2 year enlistment in the Army but I’d have no choice of MOS. i joined in the fall of ’71 and took basic at Ft. Dix before taking AIT at Ft. Bliss, Texas where I became a 16R Vulcan Cannon Crewman. I served out my enlistment at Ft. Bliss and never went to Vietnam. All those 7 years, 1964 till 1971, I was seeing my life over before it started and the Army just kept me state side. I can’t help but feel guilty at time.

• Katherine McCoun says:

You did your duty. You had no choice where you were sent and where you were stationed, Had you been sent elsewhere you would have done your duty there as well. Signing up was your statement of willingness to do what your country asked of you.

Many volunteer even today and do not see “action”. But the minute they sign on the up they are stating that they are willing if sent.

• boogywstew says:

I really enjoyed my time in the service and to my own ears it sounds ridiculous to say that. I was an introspective adolescent and teen and I firmly believed we were saving the Vietnamese people from communism and it’s attendant horrors, which again, sounds almost goofy in retrospect. Well … at least I showed up.

• Katherine McCoun says:

Vietnam….my father in law escaped north vietnam, fought with the south and with the Americans. Escaped when Saigon fell with wife, 2 sons including my husband who was 3. they were picked up by a Navy ship, spent time in a refugee camp where they were heavily vetted, then came to the US. Learned English, worked multiple jobs + went to college, eventually getting a masters, buying a house, raising their 2 sons to go to college. My husband is absolutely conservative! Can’t tell him about the dreams of socialism! Do not even begin to tell him that gun laws and gov intervention are the better way. Nope – he was little but still remembers the war (an amazing amount of memories for how young he was but war is terrible – dramatic and traumatic). He is ethnically Vietnamese but American through and through and more aware and dedicated to our freedoms because he Knows what it is like to loose them and how terrible communism/socialism really is!

No, you really were fighting for real people and their real and desired freedom.

There really was fear of the dominos of Asian countries falling to communism.

The fear passed as deals began to be made with China – or was opening up the markets just another, longer term way to beat us? Maybe as SD explains it!

The Vietnamese who wanted their freedom and the Americans who fought for them and agains Communism were fighting for real people and a real, a good cause. You and your fellow veteran’s are remembered and appreciated. History will judge you well for doing what you were called to do. many didn’t!