Saturday August 24th – Open Thread

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

119 Responses to Saturday August 24th – Open Thread

1. Deplorable_Infidel says:

The Bible and Its Author

Back on the shelf she placed the book with a sigh. It was too dull and uninteresting to wade through. She didn’t feel like reading anyway; in fact, she was utterly bored, and didn’t feel like doing anything.

The next night was different — very different. At a party she had met the kind of man she could really go for. He seemed interested in her too, and in the weeks that followed they saw more and more of each other, until she was sure she loved him.

One night he mentioned something about a book he had written, and somehow the title rang a bell with her. Where had she seen it? It bothered her that she couldn’t remember. When she reached home, however, it dawned on her all of a sudden. This was the book she had found so boring. She hadn’t even noticed the name of the author.

Taking the book down from the shelf again, she began reading. As she read page after page, she asked herself: “Why did I think this book was dry? Say, this is some book! I had no idea he could write — and so well!” And thus, avidly, she continued reading far into the night.

Yes, it makes a great deal of difference if you know the Author — and especially if you love him! How many believers in Christ there are whose most precious hours are spent in reading and studying the Bible — a Book which once seemed dull and uninteresting to them! The reason? They have come to know and love the Author!

Our Lord said: “This is life eternal, that they might know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent” (John 17:3). But how do we obtain the “life eternal” with which this knowledge is bound up? Our Lord said: “He that believeth on Me hath everlasting life” (John 6:47). Salvation is, after all, a love story to be believed, and by which we come to know Him who loved us and gave Himself for us.

By Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

1Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
    2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
    3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
    4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

(from J.H. in Erie, PA)

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (Rom 5:8)

For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: (I Cor 15:3-4)

For by grace are ye saved through faith;and that not of yourselves:it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Eph 2:8-9)

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. (Rom 5:5)

But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is BY faith OF Jesus Christ unto all and UPON all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: (Rom 3:21-24)

2. Lucille says:

HAPPY CATURDAY

3. Deplorable_Infidel says:

HAPPY CATURDAY!

4. nwtex says:

Awwwww what a widdle baby doll!!! ❤ ❤ ❤

5. nwtex says:

❤ ❤

6. Garrison Hall says:

7. citizen817 says:

8. Lucille says:

“Stray Kitten Befriends Puppy and Keeps Coming Back to See Him”
    Amy Bojo – August 12, 2019

9. nwtex says:

These moments of love are the most beautiful and meaningful in the world.God bless them….all.

• nwtex says:

Daddies are SOOOO important to a child’s world. I wish parents never had a need to divorce.

• Psalm1391316 says:

Unfortunately, sadly, it’s more often “want” rather than need. Choosing, some times to believe the grass is greener when nothing could be further from the truth.

• Pale rider says:

What I saw with kids is they build with what they are given. Some with blocks of stone some with blocks of sand. It is very sad to see a child work so hard to make the impossible possible. Divorce is one of those. Kids, no matter what you say, always always see it as their fault deep down.
        God intervened in my life and if he hadn’t, there would be casualties all around me. I look in my boys eyes and I thank God for his mercy. I’m nothing without God, and that’s where ” I can do all things through Christ” became real in my life. I don’t know why, I don’t care why I just thank him.

• TreeClimber says:

I’m glad my husband comes home every night. The toddler is always in bed by then but he sees his father in the morning, and on his days off.

10. Garrison Hall says:

Happy Caterday, Treepers. These video shows kitties getting along with their puppy buddies. It reminded me of how our much loved border collie immediately bonded with our cats. Sometimes cats and dogs can get along just fine. Our kitties are all street-savvy outside warriors and, although wary, were not afraid of dogs. For her part, despite having a strong heading instinct, Sweetie quickly figured out that our cats were part of her pack—she still wanted to herd strangers on the street but not “her” kitties. When I first brought her home (I’d found her on the street . . .) I soon found I didn’t have to be at all apprehensive when I came out on the porch and found our tough gray tabby, Tigger, enjoying the afternoon sun in a chair directly above where Sweetie was resting.
    They’d been there all afternoon.

11. Pray for revival in Southern California during the Harvest Crusade this weekend.

12. nwtex says:

Greg Laurie’s ministry?

13. nwtex says:

Janie—tippy-toe?

14. Texian says:

Intermission…

The Early Days..

It’s more epic than you think.. I wasn’t the only one in this town..

More chapters. It involves locals, actresses, rock stars and legends.. Something special was happening in this town.. There’s talent roaming around.. And we had bold dreams.. And we were going for it.. We each had our private life, but being young and bold we figured we had nothing to lose..

I know the untold story.. The early days. It’s the best part.. It’s not in print either.. Analog or digital.. We were young, fresh and raw.. And we believed in ourselves.. Chasing our Dreams..

We came out of the same small town.. All around the same age and all around the same time.. We hit the road around the same time too.. We all peaked at the same time as well..

And while we may not have made it to the top, it’s the acceleration rush toward the stars that is the best part..

But we all had managed to reached our orbit.. There are youtube videos.. Some raw.. Some clean.. But I just can’t reference them without doxxing myself.. I’ll try to find a way..

And Her.. She had eventually left for L.A…

I recently found her..
    She’s still there..
    She writes now.. Like I do..
    She wrote a book about her story..

We were two wild and bold peas in a pod..
    Two young middle class American Dreamers in a Corvette..

And it wasn’t just us two..
    We all were speeding in this town..
    In the streets.. In the circle.. In the square..
    Even in the hole in the wall..

Together..
    Apart..
    Through Life..

Coming soon..

Open Thread..

Stay tuned..

• RyderLee says:

Texian , I’m ready to start reading the next chapter whenever you’re ready !
      Your writing is a sure-fire page turner and a story that I don’t want to end .
      Thank you for sharing your life and your memories 😊

• greenswampgirl says:

Second Ryder’s comment. I look forward to each new episode. 👏

• RyderLee says:

Green , 😊 !

• Texian says:

Thx. It really is some rare happenings where things kind of just fell into place.. I really would like to tell the story of all that was going on, of the others in their quest. Those mentioned above are surely as they are described. Everybody knows these national names..

I had been sneaking into the nightclubs during high school and after. And the locals, they had their own originals that were good, and locally popular,. And people were noticing..

Some nights, in the crowd I would meet interesting people, like Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden, Ted Nugent’s band members, Pat Travers Band members, and more..

It was a small city.. A bump in the road.. Maybe there was something special happening here..

15. David says:

I am Israeli and a Trump supporter. I am posted here a video about Israel’s Sky Marshals but specifically about one of them who has “balls of steel” and took down four terrorist armed with AK47s and grandes while he had a pistol and ran out of ammo. His story is at 1:30 of the video.
    But the video also shows about this profession and airport security in Israel. Enjoy.

• RyderLee says:

Thank You David , Very Interesting !

• David says:

You’re welcome.

• David says:

I looked into it. So it happened in 1966 and the guy was previously from the legendary
        Sayeret Matkal that is the most secretive and elite unit in the Israeli army.
        It happened in Switzerland and he was arrested along with the terrorist and was trialed for murder despite Israel efforts to defend him and say he was on duty. He was in jail for a month and was eventually found “not guilty”. He became a national hero in Israel and the Prime Minister Golda Meir appointed him to be her body guard. Later on there was an airline kidnaping in Tel Aviv and Sayeret Matkal was assigned to rescue the hostages.
        The head of the team was later Prime Minister Ehud Baram and another one in the team was Benjamin Netanyahu (who was injured in this rescue). This man (Mordechai Rachamim) was chosen by the Chief of staff to enter the airliner first and spot the explosives. The mission was a success. That is the full story.

16. curator55 says:

Justice Ginsburg is still active in her long and distinguished career on the SCOTUS Bench and she has been a major player in the various political causes she has supported and promoted. Many of us often disagree with her politics but she believes they are right and just causes and nobody can deny that she is now demonstrating to the world her incredible and indomitable spirit.

The battles and procedures she’s had to endure would be difficult and horrendous for anyone half her age and yet, she gets up and fights on every time nature makes another attempt. Nature always wins in the end but few if any will have fought harder or more valiantly than Justice Ginsberg.

• jx says:

I have no ill wish for her, but I think she’s very selfish to not retire.

• JRyan says:

Dear Justice Ginsberg,
      Why do you support infanticide? Why is your life worth fighting for but not mine ?
      -Aborted Baby-💔

• curator55 says:

JRyan:

That is about the best counter argument possible to her abortion stance. But we know it won’t ever change her mind as she remembers a time when women were in a 2nd Class of humanity and had far fewer rights than they do now when compared to men. She’s focused on women’s rights exclusively and will never alter her view to include the “rights of the unborn” or even the newly born In Virginia.

But I think revealing pictures like this are gradually changing some minds.

• Michael Todaro says:

JRyan is right.
        Beautiful, innocent babies are slaughtered while shriveled up, evil beast Ginsburg is kept “alive” at great cost to all of us. Just because Ginsburg “believes” in evil does not justify her evil deeds.
        What a mess she is.

17. citizen817 says:

18. nwtex says:

pfffft c. todd

19. citizen817 says:

20. citizen817 says:

This is not the police state we want!

21. Dora says:

What a pretty tree!

22. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”
    2 Corinthians 12:9 (KJV)

23. duchess01 says:

Jesus Loves Babies…Pray for the Unborn

Jesus Loves the Little Children…Pray for the Little Children

Jesus Loves You…Come to Him

24. duchess01 says:

RUN TO JESUS – FRANCESCA BATTISTELLI –

25. nwtex says:

Well, duh what did they think would happen. Inching into dangerous times on many levels.

26. Dora says:

Goodness, they are so young! I don’t even recognize them all.

===

Old Photos of Original SNL Cast

27. nwtex says:

Good grief! Enough!

28. nwtex says:

• ann says:

Media & DNC’s elites herd behavior is cowardly.
      “ Resist” is Intellectually dishonest. The DoJ’s record of selective convictions is blatant Political Conformity Enforcement,

Just a superficial look at 20th century history clearly links how easily atrocities are rationalised by Collectivists for Party Solidarity.

We, in the West, are held accountable as INDIVIDUALS, to our conscience, under law and by God.

I, alas, live in a DNC occupied zone. My elected representatives are close minded and take zero interest in outreach to voters.

To Congress Democrats: Americans deserve better from you, who VOLUNTEER to represent and lead us.

• auscitizenmom says:

What a shock. An arrogant, self-centered, trashy, rap (so-called singer) doesn’t feel grateful.

29. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

30. just stevie says:

THE SPIRITUAL INDEX

“Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Matthew vii. 9

The illustration of prayer that Our Lord uses here is that of a good child asking for a good thing. We talk about prayer as if God heard us irrespective of the fact of our relationship to Him (cf. Matthew v. 45). Never say it is not God’s will to give you what you ask, don’t sit down and faint, but find out the reason, turn up the index. Are you rightly related to your wife, to your husband, to your children, to your fellow students – are you a “good child” there? “O Lord, I have been irritable and cross, but I do want spiritual blessing.” You cannot have it, you will have to do without until you come into the attitude of a good child.

We mistake defiance for devotion; arguing with God for abandonment. We will not look at the index. Have I been asking God to give me money for something I want when there is something I have not paid for? Have I been asking God for liberty while I am withholding it from someone who belongs to me? I have not forgiven someone his trespasses; I have not been kind to him; I have not been living as God’s child among my relatives and friends. (v. 12)

I am a child of God only by regeneration, and as a child of God I am good only as I walk in the light. Prayer with most of us is turned into pious platitude, it is a matter of emotion, mystical communion with God. Spiritually we are all good at producing fogs. If we turn up the index, we will see very clearly what is wrong – that friendship, that debt, that temper of mind. It is no use praying unless we are living as children of God. Then, Jesus says – “Everyone that asketh receiveth.”

Oswald Chambers
    August 24th Devotional

31. Dora says:

32. bandfreak22 says:

Happy Saturday Treepers!
    I saw this on another blog and thought I would share.

Growing up in the 50’s and 60’s:
    THE PARENTS WHO DRUGGED US

The other day I was in an old farmhouse in the adjoining county and someone asked me a rhetorical question:

‘Why didn’t we have a drug problem when you and I were growing up?’

I replied that I had a drug problem when I was young:

I was drug to church on Sunday morning.

I was drug to church for weddings and funerals.

I was drug to family reunions and community socials no matter the weather.

I was drug by my ears when I was disrespectful to adults.

I was also drug to the woodshed when I disobeyed my parents, told a lie, brought home a bad report card, did not speak with respect, spoke ill of the teacher or the preacher, or if I didn’t put forth my best effort in everything that was asked of me.

I was drug to the kitchen sink to have my mouth washed out with soap if I uttered a profanity.

I was drug out to pull weeds in the garden and flower beds.

I was drug to the homes of neighbors to help mow the yard, repair the clothesline, and if my mother had ever known that I took a single dime as a tip for this kindness, my dad would have drug me back to the woodshed.

Those drugs are still in my veins and they affect my behavior in everything I do, say, or think.

They are stronger than cocaine, crack, or heroin, and if today’s children had this kind of drug problem, America would be a better place.

God bless the parents who drugged us.

33. SwampRatTerrier says:

“Colleges are Bad for America” Week at College Insurrection

For your consideration…..

“As campus craziness seeps off campus, recent studies show that higher education is taking a beating in terms of reputation.

Study Finds Increasing Number of Republicans and Independents Say Colleges are Bad for America
    Study Finds Graduation Rates are Rising Because College is Getting Easier

I wonder if things like this are contributing to these findings.

Social Justice Courses and Majors Becoming the Norm at Many Colleges
    Mom Claims Son’s Virginia Tech Orientation Was Full of Leftist Propaganda

“Diversity” seems to be eclipsing actual learning

Art Professor Compares University’s Diversity Workshop to Orwell’s Animal Farm
    U. Alabama is Swimming in Millions of Taxpayer Dollars for Diversity

“Diversity” does not include conservatives. Of course……”

34. Linda K. says:

Your prison is walking through this world all alone.. “Desperado”

35. David says:

Hi Friends,
    Here is a short collection of Israeli stand up comedians in English. Short and funny!

36. Magabear says:

Good to know some actors won’t sell their soul to further their careers.

Who you are dictates what you do.

37. bessie2003 says:

A new website has been launched, called MemeWorld, that will be a collection of the memes by many meme makers and cartoonists. Here is a link:

38. SwampRatTerrier says:

The revelations from an internal town hall between New York Times executive editor Dean Baquet and key members of the paper’s staff,…. prove everything we already knew — namely, that the paper was dedicating its coverage and its very credibility to the Trump-Russia narrative.

“We built our newsroom to cover one story, and we did it truly well,” Baquet told the assemblage. “Now we have to regroup, and shift resources and emphasis to take on a different story.”

Think about that statement for a minute. Baquet says he “built our newsroom” to cover a story which turns out to have been based on a hoax spread by Democrat Party operatives and used by a corrupt Obama administration to spy on innocent American citizens while attempting to prejudice a presidential election.

Had the Times actually covered the back half of the Trump-Russia story, in which the abuses by the Obama and Clinton camps turn out to have been the meat of the thing, it might have been justified to “build our newsroom” around it. But of course that’s not what Baquet did.

Not shockingly, as Baquet admitted, things went badly.

• SwampRatTerrier says:

Food for thought:

“Years ago, watching science fiction magazines and newspapers of various sorts come and go, I identified a process I called “roll hard left and die.”

When a magazine or a newspaper or any news or entertainment media was in real trouble, they went hard, hard left, then died.

It took me a little while to realize this was a sane strategy. In a field completely controlled by the left, when you knew that your job was in peril be it through missmanagement or whatever, your last hope was to go incredibly hard left, so you could blame the failure on ideology. And instead of not being able to find a job, you found yourself lionized by all the “right” (left) “thinking people.” New jobs were assured.

I watched this happen four times with a particular magazine editor, who killed sf magazines through publishing things that REALLY weren’t science fiction besides being preachy. But every time the magazine got in trouble it would go hard left, and when it died the editor was offered another, better job. (No, I’m not going to pick a public fight by identifying it, because this is a writing weekend.)

Then I started noticing it with newspapers and news magazines, both here and abroad.

It got so bad, I could identify when a magazine was in severe trouble, because it would go from “left leaning” to “To the left of Lenin” in nothing flat.
      …..

39. SwampRatTerrier says:

Hmmmmmm…….

Who Benefits from the 1619 Project?

The New York Times is asking for more than a “re-examination” of America’s past. It’s an effort to delegitimize the Founding.
    Matthew Boose – August 22nd, 2019

• Jim in TN says:

I find it disheartening that so many falsehoods can be squeezed into one story, and nobody is calling them on it.
      Slaves existed throughout the western hemisphere long before Europeans came here.
      Black slavery came to what is now the state of Florida in 1513. 106 years before 1619.
      I am not sure if those were the first African slaves in what is now America.
      But, in 1619, the United States of America did not exist.
      Most of the Colonies did not exist then, whomever founded or controlled them.
      That particular bunch of slaves stopped being slaves when they were sold in Virginia.
      They were sold as indentured servants.
      It has been proven that many became land owners after the indenture was completed.
      The first slave in Virginia was sentenced to a lifetime of slavery for the crime of having run away from his indentured servitude.
      A one time indentured servant. An African no less. Won the right to hold African slaves in court. Before that, only court punishment could make slaves. After that, blacks and whites could own black slaves.

The story of slavery in the colonies is varied and complex. Massachusetts was the first to legalize slavery.

It is foolhardy to build a lie out of half truths and deceptions. But then the truth does not go far enough for them.

So why does nobody mock them for getting it all so very wrong?

40. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

41. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Gen. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

42. Dave Mitchell says:

The Democrats used to be the loyal opposition.
    Then they changed to just the opposition.
    The next shift to the enemy is not far off…

If POTUS really wants to kick the economy into fifth gear he should push hard for an infrastructure repair and revitalization program. It is badly needed and the investment would be a force multiplier. All the projects require skilled labor, materials that are made here (buy American gotta be a rule), equipment that is made here and engineering design and management. Then, he should highlight one high profile project in every state. Let’s see the Democrats vote against a demonstrable benefit to their constituents.

It stuck me that POTUS is already running a primary campaign while the opposition can’t get their act together and winnow out the field. They are all racing to the left to make their mark, and POTUS needs to anchor all that in the public forum by calling it out now. Anchor them to what ever wild haired idea they have so they can’t walk it back later. He’s landing blows on them all and needs to keep himself at the center of their hysteria. He lives rent free in their heads, so why not rearrange the furniture once in a while and keep them off balance. Lob some twitter bombs at them once in a while…

Veterans Day is coming up, and would be a great opportunity to bring patriotism back into the conversation. And, did ya know Bernie was Chairman of the Veterans Affairs Senate Committee at the height of the VA medical and administrative malfeasance? Now he wants to run the whole country’s health care system. Yeah, right…that would be an awesome POTUS late night tweet on his way back from France…

His tweet on Seth Moulton’s departure from the race was the funnniest thing I think he’s ever done…and, the rest of the bottom feeders still running are probably dreading getting out of the race wondering what special note POTUS will make. Lots of this crowd is only in the race to bolster their visibility with future political steps in sight…make them walk out of the race with a bit of humiliation, they after all did not win.

POTUS should make it to every state and territory in his travels. Maybe not a big rally where the risk could be a small or unruly crowd, but as the POTUS he represents us all and it’d be a nice thing to say I made it to all 50 states…tried as hard as I could but I couldn’t find the extra seven my predecessor made it to…

Just some random thoughts…

43. P says:

Icheon Master Hand
    The exhibit “Icheon: Reviving the Korean Ceramic Tradition” was on display at the American Museum of Ceramic Art, AMOCA from October 12th- December 29th, 2013. http://www.amoca.org

Icheon Ceramics (ver.1)

Icheon Ceramics (ver.2)_Cramic master
    Absolutely stunning work by Mr. Jongho Kim (last gentleman in this video).

44. mandy says:

Hubby and I have been following the Mint Press investigative series on Epstein/the gov’t involvement in truly awful stuff. It is extremely detailed and each article is quite long. The series concluded with the final article published yesterday. The author indicates that several ‘spin-off’ investigations have begun as a result of the work on this series, and will be published in the coming weeks, including one on the Epstein network’s connection to child trafficking in other countries – particularly in the UK.

Below are the links to each article, in order of publication.