Tuesday August 13th – Open Thread

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

137 Responses to Tuesday August 13th – Open Thread

1. Deplorable_Infidel says:

When I Say Goodbye

By Pastor J. C. O’Hair

When to this world I say goodbye, Whether Christ shall come or I shall die;
    I shall not fear my future state, Nor yet resign my soul to fate;
    ‘Tis neither boast no carnal pride, Nor natural worth I have inside;
    My trust is not in human creeds, Nor in my good religious deeds.

If man, by works, could heaven gain, Then ‘tis true, Christ died in vain.
    There was no power on earth could save, Nor offer hope beyond the grave.
    Salvation is from heaven above; God’s book declares that God is love.
    God loved the world and sent His Son To die for sinners, for every one.

Christ tasted death for every man: It was God’s own redemption plan.
    On Calvary’s cross the debt was paid, For there on Christ our sins were laid.
    In death the Saviour bowed His head, There His precious blood was shed.
    God has for sin no other cure. By Christ’s shed blood the way is sure.

When Christ had put our sin away, In Joseph’s tomb His body lay.
    But on the third day Christ arose To conquer thereby all His foes;
    Then He ascended through the sky To take His Father’s throne on high.
    Now in the Father’s presence there Unceasing is the Saviour’s prayer.

Still He prays, “All Thine are Mine,” Forever kept by power Divine.
    Christ promised to prepare a place For all who will receive His grace.
    Some day the age of grace will end; The Lord from heaven shall descend.
    The dead in Christ will hear the shout, And from their graves they will come out.

The living saints shall with them rise, And meet the Saviour in the skies;
    And we shall then His glory see, And like the Saviour we shall be.
    When we reach our heavenly home, Throughout the ages yet to come,
    God’s grace in Christ the saints shall know, For God has promised this to show.

Eternal life, God’s gift, is free ‘Tis all by grace for you and me.
    So in God’s Word I rest my case, Trusting His unfailing grace.
    God cannot lie, His Word is sure; And in His Son I am secure,
    Because Christ’s work has satisfied, And by that work I’m justified.

God has pardoned every sin; My hope of glory, Christ within.
    I am prepared my God to meet, For in His Son I am complete,
    And sealed unto redemption day. So if by death, or I’m caught away.
    I shall not fear my future state, But, loving Christ, I’ll serve and wait.

For more articles by Pastor J. C. O’Hair, visit the J. C. O’Hair Online Library.

• Ghost says:

I really, really liked this, but they are all good.
      Thank You!

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

Your welcome. Here is the link to the library, it did not transfer over when I did my ‘copy and paste” from the word processor program:

Pastor O’Hair was, without a doubt, the one person who, more than any other, was used of God to establish among believers what Paul, by inspiration calls, “the preaching of Jesus Christ according to the revelation of the mystery.” He knew that he had the Scriptural solution to the current theological confusion and preached the Word with great power. His oral ministry (including radio) and his many books had a profound effect on thousands here and abroad. As a gospel preacher and soul winner he was without a peer just because he understood so clearly the truth of the unadulterated “gospel of the grace of God.” The Church, all over the world, owes him much.

• Ghost says:

Again thank you!
          Bookmarked for future reference, meanwhile I’ll log on here to read your post for continued spiritual enlightenment. Your choices seem to resonate with me personally.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“for continued spiritual enlightenment. Your choices seem to resonate with me personally.”

In that case, I would HIGHLY recommend bookmarking this link for access to thousands of hours of sound preaching by audio/video, along with some written documents.

(Grace School of the Bible)

2. citizen817 says:

This member should be thrown off the team… disgraceful!

3. Garrison Hall says:

We’re almost there . . .

4. czarowniczy says:

MSM seems to have sorta let our Mississippiillegal raids drop except for the endless boo-hooing about their poor (but illegal) ninas y ninos. Some local papers have run the stories on how amongst those busted were many who were previously (some multiple times) arrested before for being here illegally AND some who were wearing court-ordered ankle bracelets, they’d just ignored the courts’ orders and di-di-maued out and got another job.

This was the result of an investigation that went on over a year, the Feds have proof that the companies KNOWINGLY hired illegals and even FACILITATED their illegal hiring. I’m betting that more than a few company folks will be getting all-expense paid vacays to a Fed motel. This is too big to just slap a few wrists.

5. citizen817 says:

6. Lucille says:

Getting Smuggled from Afghanistan to Texas Is Easier than You Think
    by Todd Bensman – August 6, 2019

The United States has long bestowed immigration rewards on Iraqis and Afghans who assist our troops in “War on Terror” combat zones.

7. citizen817 says:

😂😂

8. A2 says:

I want to post this here for anyone concerned or interested in the Hong Kong protests. It is a review of poems by Ho Lai-Ming, a poet, who is writing her poetry as a response to the standing up of the Hong Kong people for freedom, for understanding.

The review gives you the context and the heart breaking poems.

I do wish, in a quiet time you will read this.

• Bob says:

Hong Kong belongs to the World….China is reneging on its promise to leave this most beautiful place to live free. China is the bully here in response to the USA’s trade negotiations…..they always have to be the winners…even when they don’t need to. Stop with the “Face Saving” BS and get real….let the people govern themselves and watch how China will grow.

• Sweet Old Bob says:

Looks to be getting really ugly soon …
      ;(

9. windbag says:

Old song that is still relevant

10. Jase says:

I can’t do a link to it, but there is a clip on Twitter of a knife-wielding moron being subdued by passers-by a short time ago in Sydney.
    They used a cafe chair and a milk crate!
    One of the guys tells him some pretty blunt home truths. Aussies, maate.

• Jase says:

As a follow up to this, a poor woman has now been discovered in a nearby building with her throat cut. Apologies for the ‘go guys’ nature of my original post.

• stephen fenlon says:

The three lads who originally subdued him where from the UK, Manchester I think.
        We are getting used to dealing with this crap now, unfortunately.

• auscitizenmom says:

I just saw this on TV and, of course, they were saying they weren’t going to charge him with terrorism because he has mental problems.

11. Janie M. says:

Absolutely gorgeous painting by Jaime Corum. What a magnificent creature. ❤️

12. nwtex says:

Language alert.

**EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE!** CNN ANCHOR CHRIS CUOMO THREATENING TRUMP SUPPORTER!

13. Lucille says:

Just because it’s a beautiful lake photo (no notation where it was taken)…

14. Janie M. says:

I have mentioned in the past, I love illustrations from children’s books. This picture is a recent online discovery and not present in any. The artist is a digital graphic developer and I had hoped I could find if there were any prints of it available for purchase. No such luck.

Background…the mouse standing on the stack of books, looking at a book was a human wizard who had created a spell turning himself into a mouse for a “mission” (unknown). At its conclusion, he was to revert back to his human form but… didn’t happen. So he is attempting to find a remedy for his malady.

15. Dora says:

“The Elephants” is a painting by Spanish artist Salvador Dalí. Elephants are often viewed as symbols of strength, dominance and power due to their bulk and weight – Dalí contrasts these typical associations by giving the elephants long, spindly legs.

16. Dora says:

Oh Placido, not you too. I’m surprised, yet I’m not surprised, if you know what I mean. I am disappointed though.

• nwtex says:

Allegations. I’m so tired of females complaining waaaaay after the fact.
      Females have been using their feminine wiles to manipulate men since the beginning of time. Alot of it has to do with ambitious wanna-be’s throwing themselves at a men in prominent positions. or they just want to be seen with the man. After a while the man is led to believe this is how the females want to be treated. However I do understand that some men can truly be threatening…. if that is the case bring charges on the spot and/or move on.

sheesh! Why don’t gals learn to say “when I want you to touch me I’ll let you know” then walk away. Where is self respect? From what I’ve witnessed, the reason is that they either are hoping the man can benefit them is some way. Or the gal just wants to be seen with the man. And if already established, they feel their career could be adversely effected if they rebuffed the man …..well then too bad… if your career is that important to you deal with it or move on there are other things you can do with your life.

I say leave men alone!! Don’t go ruining someone’s life, especially when in their later years, with allegations. Just don’t do it.

17. nwtex says:

aww love the foot action.

18. Sepp says:

To Ponder

Let me ponder on the punishment from God that fell on Abimelech and the inhabitants of Shechem (Judges 9):

1. How Abimelech, with the help of the men of Shechem, killed seventy of his brethren.

2. How Abimelech himself then killed the men of Shechem, ploughed up the city and sowed it with salt.

3. How Abimelech, after many victories, was slain by a woman who threw a piece of a millstone from a tower onto his head.

4. How the curse of Jotham the son of Gideon came upon Abimelech and the men of Shechem.

From “The Prologue from Ohrid” by Saint Nikolai (Serbian-born Bishop who reposed in the USA and was a former prisoner at Dachau) for today – July 31st – on the traditional Calendar of the Orthodox Christian Church.

19. duchess01 says:

Jesus Loves Babies…Pray for the Unborn

Jesus Loves the Little Children…Pray for the Little Children

Jesus Loves You…Come to Him

20. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“…Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”
    Acts 2:38 (KJV)

21. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

22. nwtex says:

23. jx says:

Cal State San Bernardino Apologizes for Promoting Border Patrol Career Opportunities, Offers Counseling

24. just stevie says:

QUENCH NOT THE SPIRIT

“Quench not the Spirit.” 1 Thess. v. 19

The voice of the Spirit is as gentle as a zephyr, so gentle that unless you are living in perfect communion with God, you never hear it. The checks of the Spirit come in the most extraordinarily gentle ways, and if you are not sensitive enough to detect His voice you will quench it, and your personal spiritual life will be impaired. His checks always come as a still small voice, so small that no one but the saint notices them.

Beware if in personal testimony you have to hark back and say – “Once, so many years ago, I was saved.” If you are walking in the light, there is no harking back, the past is transfused into the present wonder of communion with God. If you get out of the light you become a sentimental Christian and live on memories, your testimony has a hard, metallic note. Beware of trying to patch up a present refusal to walk in the light by recalling past experiences when you did walk in the light. Whenever the Spirit checks, call a halt and get the thing right, or you will go on grieving Him without knowing it.

Suppose God has brought you up to a crisis and you nearly go through but not quite, He will engineer the crisis again, but it will not be so keen as it was before. There will be less discernment of God and more humiliation at not having obeyed; and if you go on grieving the Spirit, there will come a time when that crisis cannot be repeated, you have grieved Him away. But if you go through the crisis, there will be the paean of praise to God. Never sympathize with the thing that is stabbing God all the time. God has to hurt the thing that must go.

Oswald Chambers
    August 13th Devotional

• Psalm1391316 says:

Hi Just Stevie. I have a very tattered copy of MUFHH, held together with a binder clip. I was reading this devotion this morning and was so convicted before the last paragraph that I had to make “that” call to an estranged family member. God is so good. All the time. Just all the time. Have a blessed day. Ephesians 3:20.

25. Dora says:

26. tozerbgood8315 says:

It doesn’t get any funnier than this. You just can’t make this stuff up.

27. Phil says:

For your amusement from the LATimes: Facial recognition software mistook 1 in 5 California lawmakers for criminals, says ACLU.
    Looks like the boys need to get back to the drawing board – the numbers are TOO low!

28. Five or six Democrat US Senators supposedly gave a veiled “hint” to the Supreme Court to shape up or the Dems will pack the court the next time they’re in control? I’ve never heard of anything like this before. Have I been in the dark?

29. jx says:

Senate Dems deliver stunning warning to Supreme Court: ‘Heal’ or face restructuring

The ominous and unusual warning was delivered as part of a brief filed Monday in a case related to a New York City gun law. Senators

Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I.,
    Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn.,
    Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii,
    Richard Durbin, D-Ill.,
    Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y.,

referenced rulings by the court’s conservative majority in claiming it is suffering from some sort of affliction which must be remedied.

• Boots says:

That’s a threat, pure and simple, that says “If you don’t vote the way we want, in support of our socialist utopian vision, we will use every ounce of our enormous political muscle to fire you.”

No more proof is needed that Democrats don’t give a damn about anything but wiping out all other parties and turning America into a one party, socialist diktat. There is NO CONSTITUTION whatsoever in their view.

I hope this motivates turncoat Roberts to vote lockstep with every conservative on the bench for the rest of his life.

As to the Five Threatening Senators, they should be recalled and made an example of.

• Pale rider says:

Because they can! Just that simple.

30. Boots says:

Someone needs to start a “Fire Fredo!” site, demanding CNN fire Cuomo.

Cuomo’s response to being called a name was to threaten violence and physical harm. Is that an appropriate response, even to being ‘baited’? NO, it’s not.

If a conservative commentator did what Cuomo did, the MSM would be on it for weeks, and the libs across America would call for their dismissal.

We should do no less.

31. jx says:

The Justice Department says two guards assigned to watch Jeffrey Epstein have been placed on administrative leave and the warden has been temporarily reassigned to an office post

32. Dora says:

33. dogsmaw says:

34. doubledark1981 says:

Afraido Fredo

35. doubledark1981 says:

Meanwhile is making the WORLD great Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rumor has it when he’s done in 2024 he’s moving to China and kicking Xi, his good friend ,out and taking over or maybe the EU and be their President for Life.

36. SwampRatTerrier says:

Oh My. The Lying MSM Never stops FAKING IT in everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

‘Survivor’ and Other Reality Competition Shows Are Totally Fake

The Great British “Faking” (?) Show: The judges recorded 2 takes for every comment, one positive and one negative so the editors could put it together however they wanted. They rolled the clock back an hour so everyone else could finish. We had over three months to plan our “spontaneous” cake. Oh yeah, and while we won by the judges vote…a producer decided one of the other cakes would film better for the big reveal so we didn’t win even though we should have.

37. Lucille says:

Feds Launch Investigation After Transgender High School Athletes Dominate Girls Competition
    By Bradley Evans
    Published August 13, 2019 at 7:48am

38. Sepp says:

Saint Joseph of Arimathæa

“The Noble Joseph taking down Thine immaculate Body down from the Tree, and having wrapped It in pure linen and spices, laid It for burial in a new tomb. But on the third day Thou didst arise, O Lord, granting great mercy to the world.”

Dismissal Hymn

Today is July 31st on the traditional Calendar of the Orthodox Christian Church and Saint Joseph of Arimathæa is honored today.

The link below is to a reverent version of his Life from a church in Canada.

39. nwtex says:

So why so “touchy” now Chris Cuomo? Odd.

CNN’s Chris Cuomo Referred to Himself as ‘Fredo’ in 2010 Radio Interview
    13 Aug 2019

-snipped-
    In the interview, Sliwa said he had nicknamed the family “la Cuomo nostra.”

“There is a group of people – politicos – who always hint they might run, but not necessarily plunge all the way, and they are members of la Cuomo,” Sliwa stated.

“Who am I then, Fredo?” Cuomo asked Sliwa in response.

“Yes, exactly,” Sliwa affirmed. “So you better be careful that your brother Andrew doesn’t kiss you on both cheeks and then all of a sudden they take you out on the middle of the lake and where’s Chris?”

40. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

41. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Gen. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.