The latest storm advisory from the National Hurricane Center still shows Louisiana as the most likely impacted region of the northern gulf coast. Tropical Storm Barry will likely become Hurricane Barry shortly before landfall.  Severe flooding is the largest concern.

National Hurricane Center – At 4:00pm CDT (2100 UTC), the center of Tropical Storm Barry was located near latitude 27.8 North, longitude 89.3 West. Barry is moving toward the west near 5 mph (7 km/h) and this motion is expected to continue tonight. A turn toward the northwest is expected on Friday, followed by a turn toward the north on Saturday.

On the forecast track, the center of Barry will be near or over the central or southeastern coast of Louisiana Friday night or Saturday, and then move inland into the lower Mississippi Valley on Sunday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 40 mph (65 km/h) with higher gusts. Strengthening is expected during the next day or two, and Barry could become a hurricane late Friday or early Saturday when the center is near the Louisiana coast. Weakening is expected after Barry moves inland. (more)

This entry was posted in FEMA, Uncategorized, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to TS Barry – Possible Hurricane Barry – Louisiana and Mississippi Prepare for Extreme Flooding…

1. sundance says:

• ATheoK says:

CTH far surpasses the general news outlets in showing information about this storm system! CTH is calmly accurate and not dramatized.

N.B. the tweet CTH shows mentions “flash flooding”!
      Too many of the general news and weather outlets conflate “Flash flooding” with Mississippi River flooding.

In the New Orleans area, the Mississippi River dikes are high.
      New Orleans handles rainfall by pumping rainwater into Lake Pontchartrain, Lake Borgne, bayous, and swamps. Few pumping station(s) pump storm drainage into the Mississippi River.

“Drainage Facts
      Because the river levees are higher than the lake levees, most rainwater is pumped into Lake Pontchartrain.

There are 24 drainage pumping stations, collectively housing 120 drainage and constant-duty pumps. While drainage pumps are activated mitigate rain and flooding, constant-duty pumps work to regulate the amount of water in New Orleans drainage canals on any given day. Stations are staffed or monitored by experienced personnel who are on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

There are 12 smaller underpass stations that automatically turn on in response to rising water. These pumps are checked regularly each week and monitored by field personnel during rain events.

The S&WB’s drainage network includes approximately 90 miles of open canals and 90 miles of subsurface canals. Many of the subsurface canals are large enough to drive a bus through.”

New Orleans drainage is stated to be able to drain 1″ of rain for the first hour and 0.5″ or rain for each succeeding hour. New Orleans has handled 12″ of rain per day without trouble in the past.
      Flash flooding is still possible, but it is local flooding, not Mississippi River flooding.
      At present there is little danger that the Mississippi River dikes will fail in Southern Louisiana.
      This system dropping immense rainfalls further north in the Midwest could cause Mississippi River floods in the Midwest.

Several weather outlets have made claims about storm surge and wind driven water rise; allegedly up to 20ft (6,096 millimeters or 6 meters). This while the storm is still classified as a tropical system.

A worst case scenario for New Orleans is a storm approaching from the Southeast; where the the storm’s Northern and Northeast quadrant winds drive coastal water up the Rigolets into Lake Borgne and Lake Pontchartrain. Hurricane Katrina’s size drove some water through the Rigolets and when the storm’s NW and West quadrant winds turn southwards, causing a Lake Pontchartrain dike to fail.

Tropical Storm Barry is SW of the Mississippi River system. There are outlets from the River to the West. TS Barry’s winds may drive some water back up the Mississippi River; a 20 foot surge is doubtful.
      TS Barry will drive Gulf water and storm surge into the swamps and bayous SW of New Orleans. Keep in mind swamps dissipate storm surges; even in the Atchafalaya Basin. Baton Rouge and communities in TS Barry’s path will suffer flash flooding.

2. AnotherView says:

Prayers for Mississippi and Louisiana. I’ve been through many hurricanes, though Hugo in 1989 was the worst and most challenging. There was essentially no outside help back then and we were on our own. The most terrifying aspect of hurricanes are the tornadoes they sometimes spawn.

3. MM says:

Man oh Man the rainfall totals are devastating……..
    Wow!

4. Grandma Covfefe says:

Praying for all our Treepers out there. Be alert and safe.
    “I will lift up my eyes to the hills—From whence comes my help?
    My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth..” Ps 121:1

5. WeeWeed says:

These people are asses. I trust Joe Bastardi. The rivers are full/fat so no tellin’ and these screamers don’t even take that into consideration. It’s all “globull screaming.”

• 13wasylyna says:

The best hurrican reporting is Bob Breck. No hysteria. https://bobbreck.blogspot.com/

• ATheoK says:

In 1992, Bob Breck accurately called Hurricane Andrew’s exact path, including a swerve to the west of New Orleans.
        Many New Orleanians, who listened to larger national news outlets that were predicting Andrew to directly hit New Orleans, fled to Baton Rouge.

Hurricane Andrew’s swerve to the West caused it to hammer parishes and communities, including Baton Rouge, that are west of New Orleans. Andrew’s NE quadrant spawned tornadoes that destroyed parts of Kenner, LaPlace and other communities.

Bob Breck may be a showboater, but he is one of the most accurate weathermen I’ve ever listened to or watched. Like Joe Bastardi, Bob studies the weather maps and conditions very closely.

6. Coast says:

This has been a horrible year for many many folks in this country….floods, fires, earthquakes, tornadoes, wind storms….pray that God renders mercy with this pending hurricane/TD.

7. “Weather.gov” – the US Government’s (NOAA’s) ad-free web site:

(It is a truly fascinating and informative site that will give you a peek “behind the scenes” at your local forecast and how it is made. “Your Tax Dollars Truly At Work!™”)

The National Hurricane Center – NOAA’s authoritative information about every hurricane on the planet:

Both of these sites need to be on your bookmark list, especially this time of year.

8. Sweet Old Bob says:

New Orleans levies are most likely to be over-topped .
    People need to get themselves and their pets to high ground NOW !

• Sentient says:

Here’s what I learned after Katrina:
      Hurricanes come in categories one through five.
      Katrina was a Cat 3 hurricane, albeit one that hit in the worst spot/way.
      New Orleans is below sea level.
      Despite the above known facts, the levies had only been built to withstand a Cat 3 hurricane.
      Despite $100B of federal assistance to New Orleans after Katrina, the levies – earthen levies – have only been rebuilt to withstand … a Cat 3 hurricane.

And now they’re talking about the levies being over-topped again.

9. 🙏🙏Praying for you all in the path…..💜

10. Projection shows it following the Mississippi river all the way up after it makes landfall. The flooding is going to be devastating with the river already high. Prayers.
    http://www.windy.com is a cool site. You can move the timeline forward (slider at the bottom)

11. MaineCoon says:

The known maximum rainfall from tropical depressions, tropical storms, hurricanes, and their remnants (on a state by state basis) since 1940. pic.twitter.com/Hu7235Qz0z— NWS WPC (@NWSWPC) July 12, 2019

12. LKAinLA says:

My family and I are in the direct path of this storm in South Louisiana so thanks for any prayers our way. My son in New Orleans has already had his car flooded in uptown area of NO on Wednesday. I am not sure if they had the pumps on in NO but at the extremely fast rate the area flooded on Wednesday, this is not going to have a smooth outcome.

• liberty,not license says:

Prayers for your family and all those in the storm’s path.

• GrandpaM says:

Prayers up.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

Praying for you all…Be Safe.

• sharon goodson says:

I live uptown just blocks from St. Charles near Baptist on Gen Pershing. We got 7 inches in 4 hours on Wednesday causing the flooding. There isn’t a pumping system on earth that can handle that. The River is just 2 ft below crest at Army Corp Headquarters on the levee by Audubon Park and Tulane University. This is the lowest part of the levee system around NOLA. (What were they thinking??? oh never mind it is the Army Corp of Engineers). Well they have been sandbagging on the river side of levee since Wed night trying prevent “splash over” from the River. The levees are in more danger now than during Katrina because of the pressure exerted by the River water and being so high. We are not worried about the wind – we have hurricane shutters – but I fear the levee at Riverbend will not hold. The River was never this high during Katrina. With all the snow melt coming down the river – “They trying to wash us away” as Randy Newman sang. We spent 11 days in the flood waters after Katrina and yet it was dry 3 blocks over – so weird. We got through the hurricane Katrina ok – it was the tornado in the last hours of the storm that sucked our front wall away from the house and it was almost 2 days after the hurricane before flood waters made it uptown. I really really did not think the flood waters would come this far up the drainage system. It was just so damn far from our house and we are pretty damn high ground. I have lived here over 40 years and never affected by hurricanes until Katrina. It really was an eye opener. 70 years old is not for pussies. My husband had a brain tumor removed a few weeks ago and moving him is not an option. We have a 3 story house so we should be fine. Got 8 cases of water from Costco and lots of PB & Jelly and generators. And most importantly – God does love us and has blessed us in so many ways. Some days I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. My husband survived and is still alive and my children are all doing well. Truly blessed. I am not afraid because I have St. Patrick’s shield to keep me safe. Christ to the Left of me, Christ to the right of me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ below me, Christ above me, Christ through me, Jesus Christ will protect me.

• lolli says:

🙏

13. Prayers Up for Safe Keeping for All who are in its path..💁🙏🙏🙏🙏

14. Reno says:

Hurricanes are no laughing matter….sorry but I couldn’t help myself. I did’t expect to see “Barry” show up until we were closer to the Dem Convention next year

15. I’ve been through virtually all that hit our coast from Betsy to Gustav. Damage was everywhere. The one’s that hit at night were the most terrifying with wind howling and branches breaking like gunshots in the dark.

I remember helping some friends clean up after Camille in Waveland. Goodness. We had to chainsaw our way to the house. All homes were damaged or destroyed. Years later when Katrina hit, absolutely nothing was left. It was like the whole coast line was scrubbed clean.

As for this storm, I see a bad trend. I call it over hyping. Sort of like crying wolf and causing folks to ignore the real warnings for real storms. I guess there’s a fine line between reality and safety. It just seems there are too many models, projections, opinions and commercials.

Good Luck

16. Well,,well, a couple days ago I posted I thought this would make land fall in my front yard.

I was wrong, it will make landfall in my backyard. Good grief.

My area, including my neighborhood, was devastated in 2016 from a stalled rain event. Luckily (not luck, God saw fit to spare me) my freshly renovated, 80 year old shotgun home was spared. My neighbor, not so lucky. We JUST got her squared away.

Am hoping for the best, but we will see. I show dogs, so the motor home is packed and ready to roll out with dogs and the neighbor if need be. And a couple of cats. Yikes!!! Sigh.

Prayers to all in the path and hope God moves it as quickly as possible with the least amount of damage possible.

No, I would not trade living on the coast for anything. But sometimes it is a lot of trouble!!!

17. The problem with this to-be hurricane right now is that it isn’t moving. Which means it’s sucking up tremendous quantities of water, and that water’s gonna fall down somewhere. Another concern is that it could become a just-offshore “water pump.” Whatever it is, this storm’s gonna be nasty.

18. mugzey302 says:

Prayer Warriors need to pray over this ~ to bind and cast down any control of this storm by bad guys with the HAARP system. They are known to do this, false flag events via weather. Pray the blood of Jesus over HAARP. May God bless and protect those in the path of this storm.