Thursday July 11th – Open Thread

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

104 Responses to Thursday July 11th – Open Thread

1. DanDeplorable says:

You can reject . . .

I will greatly rejoice . . .

2. citizen817 says:

3. citizen817 says:

• amwick says:

I heard this, and read about it… The coach was from the Hat Tricks.. Danbury CT… which is near where I grew up. Interesting thing about Danbury is that it was the home of Stetsons Hat Factory, and was known as Hat City or something.. Also, the process of making the hats involved mercury, and many people went crazy from exposure (or something), this is why we have the phrase “mad as a hatter”… Now you know.

4. citizen817 says:

5. citizen817 says:

6. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Things New and Old

When our Lord had finished His familiar discourse on “the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven,” He said:

“THEREFORE, EVERY SCRIBE WHICH IS INSTRUCTED UNTO THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN IS LIKE A MAN THAT IS AN HOUSEHOLDER, WHO BRINGS FORTH OUT OF HIS TREASURE THINGS NEW AND OLD” (Matt. 13:52).

A new era had just dawned in the world’s history. A new message was being proclaimed. John the Baptist had begun to cry: “Repent ye, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!” and the Lord Jesus and the twelve had taken up the same message.

Some listened eagerly, others turned away — among them many of the scribes, the Bible teachers of the day. They did not welcome any new teaching. Yet Christ’s message of the kingdom in no way conflicted with the Old Testament Scriptures. Indeed, it was based on the Old Testament and confirmed by it. This is why our Lord reminded His hearers that the right kind of scribe would bring forth out of the treasure-house of Scripture, things both new and old.

How this lesson is needed today! Some cast away precious treasures out of the Bible, contending that they are old and out of date. Others, while clinging tenaciously to old truths, reject new light. While mere professors of religion too often cast aside old truths with the complaint that they are outworn, true possessors often reject new light simply because it is new. They vie with each other to be orthodox instead of vying to find more light from the unfathomable Word of God.

Is it possible that we have drained the Well of Scripture dry? Are there no more precious stones in that exhaustless Mine? Have any of us received all the light that shines from the Holy Bible?

Then, cost what it may, let us keep digging into the Scriptures, that as we minister to others we may bring forth out of the divine Treasure-house things both new and old.

By Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

Matthew 13:52 Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.

7. Lucille says:

HAPPY CURSDAY…

Bandit, the Pug/Chihuahua…

Corgi, a Ray of Sunshine …

Mr. Alert Blue Eyes…

Puppy Love…

Yuki The Talking Shiba Inu

8. Garrison Hall says:

9. Lucille says:

The Daily Spike: Canine Companions are interrupting nightmares for veterans with PTSD
    By Jennifer Williams | Fox News – June 28, 2019

10. Garrison Hall says:

Happy Cursday, Treepers . . .

A news report showing John Unger taking his painfully arthritic dog, Schoep, into a lake so his dog could float weightless to relieve his pain. People were touched by the obvious devotion and love John had for his dog. They’d been together for over 2 decades. When Schoep died about a year later several people were moved enough to post tributes on Youtube. This is one of the best. All dogs go to heaven so old Schoep will be there, faithfully waiting for his friend and companion John.

11. flame says:

Watch As Pope Francis Says Jesus Was A ‘Failure On The Cross’

• Lucille says:

“…humanly speaking…” When first viewing the vid, these two words of the Pope’s homily struck me as being correct. The people at the time would not have looked upon Jesus’s death on the cross as a victory. Even his disciples thought his dying ended everything. We in the 21st Century know from reading Scripture what happens next and how the story continues.

Wondering what others thought of Francis’s message, I did a search to determine if it had been written about. This excellent article is what I found…

“Jesus Failed” Said Pope Francis…Or Did He?
      by Tyler Scarlett | Oct 4, 2015

12. nwtex says:

I’m sure everyone has seen and heard enough earthquake coverage. This is one I hadn’t.

Some of commments by the cowards wearing their keyboard masks are juvenile and cruel.

I thought she was taking a “selfie” 🤨

13. nwtex says:

14. nwtex says:

15. nwtex says:

16. nwtex says:

17. getfitnow says:

FTA – I suppose I should be thrilled that the U.S. Women’s soccer team won its second world title but I confess to rooting for all their opponents during the games.

When radical feminism first raised its ugly head I was just out of my teens, I recognized it as a hostile movement against the male gender rather than a justified search for equal rights.

Led by angry women who had been mistreated by men and some who were sexually confused the movement had little appeal for me.

18. Dora says:

• Like many people, Lambert had expressed to his wife his desire to never have to live hooked up to support machines. Then he was in a serious accident. He was in a vegetative state for years, with no hope of regaining full consciousness. It took several court cases (wife and 6 siblings vs. aged parents and 2 siblings) before his wife and medical team won the right to allow Lambert to die, as he had wished. https://www.france24.com/en/20190711-vincent-lambert-dies-right-die-france-case-law

If people would simply follow the expressed wishes of patients, many of these cases could be avoided. It doesn’t matter how you feel about it religiously. That’s between him and God.

19. Dora says:

Michael is telling off the Cardinal. Wow!

• NICCO says:

We can see that we are in the last days.I listen for God s still ,small voice everyday.I do not listen to this and what the pope is standing for.

20. Dora says:

21. amwick says:

I wanted to take just a second to thank the mods who are working in the background.
    👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

22. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
    Matthew 5:10 (KJV)

23. duchess01 says:

24. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

25. duchess01 says:

Jesus Loves Babies…Pray for the Unborn

Jesus Loves the Little Children…Pray for the Little Children

Jesus Loves You…Run to Him

26. Dora says:

It really hurts to read stuff like this. Back when I was a child going through Catholic school, I would have thought it impossible.

====

Corruption in the Church: Bad News and Hopeful Possibilities

Thanks to Pope Francis, the Vatican now joins the growing list of the world’s sanctuary cities. If you’re a clergyman wanted by civil authorities or Church authorities in your native land, the Vatican will offer you a safe haven and, quite possibly, a cushy job.

27. Jeff says:

Those guys over at Bad Lip Reading are crazy funny. Check out their video of President Trump at the G20:

28. Mike says:

I can’t help but like Vladimir Putin. Does this mean I’m a bad person?

And to cut off any accusations that I’m a Russia bot/Liberal Troll, I am not. I’m just a guy
    in the Midwest who admires a guy who seems to love his country and do his best to MRGA.
    That’s his JOB. Just as it’s Trump’s job (who I also like) to love his country and MAGA.

• NoTwoSystemsOnlyOneChiCom says:

Putin and Oliver Stone’s interview is quite interesting. Putin declares that Obama didn’t keep his promises. Stretch, bend, flex, 3,4.

• just stevie says:

Mike, the Lord put Putin on my heart a long time ago to pray for. He must know, regardless of Putin’s past, that there are qualities in him that God wants to use. I also have a deep burden for Trump…so who knows but our Almighty God, right?

• Mike says:

I know what you’re saying. I have the same “feeling.” Both Putin and Trump are doing the Lord’s Work. Putin helped to resurrect the Christian Orthodox church. I don’t know much about it, other than, I think, it’s kind of equivalent to Traditional Catholicism or Pre-Vatican 2 Catholicism.

• Sepp says:

Perhaps this article is not a good fit with the one above, but it is worth reading and is short. It does not specifically address President Putin, but describes a historical and religious phenomenon known as Sergianism. The background info is key to understanding Russia.

• Mike says:

I don’t think what the “Sergianists” did under the communists is the same as what Putin is doing today. The commies, despite their promises, tried to destroy the church and killed
            it’s dissenters, according to your article. I already knew this is true.

To the best of my knowledge, Putin is using state power to rebuild and expand the church.
            I see Putin much more as a Russian Nationalist than as a communist. But there is a strong link between church and state that is somewhat foreign to my American mind

The “separation of church and state,” according to the founding fathers, I believe, isn’t anything close to the commie version of “separation of church and state.”

I think the found fathers didn’t want the federal government to be able to create a “Church of the United States” and ban or punish anything outside of it. Much like the “Church of
            England” did.

Commies claim that having something like the 10 commandments in a state or local
            government building is a violation of “separation of church and state,” and that’s BS.

I think Putin is CLOSE to making the Orthodox Church the “Official” Russian Church,
            but not quite. Other religions can practice theirs I think without persecution. It’s OK to be a protestant in Russia, alhough there is some frowning upon it, and some laws limiting them. I do believe such religions like Jehovah’s Witnesses are banned.

I’m adding that this is what I BELIEVE is happening, and could be wrong on some or most points.

29. just stevie says:

THE SPIRITUAL SAINT

“That I may know Him.” Phil. iii. 10

The initiative of the saint is not towards self-realization, but towards knowing Jesus Christ. The spiritual saint never believes circumstances to be haphazard, or thinks of his life as secular and sacred; he sees everything he is dumped down in as the means of securing the knowledge of Jesus Christ. There is reckless abandonment about him. The Holy Spirit is determined that we shall realize Jesus Christ in every domain of life, and He will bring us back to the same point again and again until we do. Self-realization leads to the enthronement of work; whereas the saint enthrones Jesus Christ in his work. Whether it be eating or drinking or washing diciples’ feet, whatever it is, we have to take the initiative of realizing Jesus Christ in it. Every phase of our actual life has its counterpart in the life of Jesus. Our Lord realized His relationship to the Father even in the most menial work. “Jesus knowing…that He was come from God, and went to God…took a towel…and began to wash the disciples’ feet.”

The aim of the spiritual saint is ” that I may know Him.” Do I know Him where I am to-day? If not, I am failing Him. I am here not to realize myself, but to know Jesus. In Christian work the initiative is too often the realization that something has to be done and I must do it. That is never the attitude of the spiritual saint, his aim is to secure the realization of Jesus Christ in every set of circumstances he is in.

Oswald Chambers
    July 11th Devotional

30. Mike says:

I’m burned out on comic books movies. However I do plan to see “Avengers: Endgame” Because I’ve been following the MCU series that lead up to this. One of the last movies in this genre, at least for a while, is “Doctor Strange.” It looks different and kind of interesting. Has anybody seen this and you can give me your opinion?

31. Robert Smith says:

By the way, I don’t have a dog…but for your enjoyment:

32. Sepp says:

To Ponder

Let me ponder on the miraculous healing of the ten lepers (Saint Luke 17: 12):

1. How the Lord heard the prayers of the ten leprous men and healed them by the power of His word.

2. How the Lord can heal me also, a spiritual and moral leper, if I cry out to Him.

From “The Prologue from Ohrid” by Saint Nikolai (Serbian-born Bishop who reposed in the USA and was a former prisoner at Dachau) for today, June 28th, on the traditional Calendar of the Orthodox Christian Church.

33. Mike says:

One of my favorite Christian songs. It would be considered “retro” by the kids nowadays I guess.

34. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

35. jx says:

Board members at VOA and Facebook, editors at Bloomberg, former owners of WaPo, organize to fund illegal aliens

select board members of TheDream.US:

Don Graham – co-founded TheDream.US to help illegal aliens get access to a college education;
    (see also https://web.archive.org/web/20150204084607/http://investor.fb.com/directors.cfm)

Amanda Bennett – co-founded TheDream.US; Director at VOA; through 2013 she was Executive Editor at Bloomberg News; editor of The Philadelphia Inquirer from June, 2003;

Carlos Gutierrez – co-founded TheDream.US; Commerce Scty under G.W. Bush;

h/t: https://twitter.com/MIWA4MAGA/status/1149163178351300608

36. getfitnow says:

FTA – Couple’s MAGA-themed wedding pays tribute to President Trump

37. bessie2003 says:

Wonder if all of twitter is down, or just selective twitter people.

I was just on Rantingly and it said “unable to download tweets” for all the usual twitter links it posts, so went to a few other twitter sites I follow, Sundance’s Last Refuge one of them, and it has a blue page with the “something is technically wrong” message.

Is it a twitter-wide outage, or a twitter imposed “strike” in response to the President’s summit today?

38. SwampRatTerrier says:

Good viewing of the very stable genius President Trump.

Donald Trump, 1998 – BBC HARDtalk

39. SwampRatTerrier says:

MARK OF THE BEAST

CHINA: Social Credit System

40. SwampRatTerrier says:

Obama Adviser’s Book Is Ranked 1,030 On Amazon. How Did It Make NYT’s Best Seller List?

Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett’s book is number 1,030 on Amazon with only three reviews, but is on the NYT Best Seller list. An industry insider said that was “inconceivable” and that Jarrett likely paid a company that helps authors buy their way onto the list.

One such company buys 10,000 copies of an author’s book and tries to prevent bestseller lists from realizing the sales aren’t organic, in which case the book may be moved down or taken off the list.

There were 12,600 reported sales of Jarrett’s book, enough to rank it highly on the Publishers Weekly chart, but Publishers Weekly did not put it on its list at all.

41. SwampRatTerrier says:

Where you will find presenters such as:
    Mike Rowe

DONALD #TrumpTheEstablishment Speech

44. SwampRatTerrier says:

FYI

45. SwampRatTerrier says:

Trump speaks at Social Media Summit at the White House

• SwampRatTerrier says:

Strange that….here’s the Title to that linked article.

Project Veritas: Google Insider Says the “Neutral Platform” is Determined to “Prevent the Next Trump”

46. SwampRatTerrier says:

Rut Roh!

Big Media Big Wigs caught in Epstein’s Honey Pot trap???????

Katie Couric…. and George Stephanopoulos Attended Party With Epstein After 2008 Conviction

47. Troublemaker10 says:

Headlines Claiming Women’s World Cup Final Had More Viewers Than Men’s Are 100% Fake News