Easter Recipes

Later in the week I will have more somber posts as we approach Good Friday, but before that we can plan a little and look forward to the Easter celebration to come. Some years we take the easy route and cook burgers, but most of the time we have a ham or lamb, or, as our family keeps growing, both.

I hope that stella might share her lamb recipe with us. I have fixed it several times, and I get over the top compliments on it every time, which is why they keep getting it, of course.

A couple of years ago a Jewish friend shared this video on Facebook, and I became a little bit obsessed with challah bread. I have loved bread baking for over 40 years, and my granddaughter already loves it too. Last year for Easter dinner she helped me prepare many of these beautiful braided breads and buns, and no one was allowed to eat any of it until she specifically pointed out which ones she made. My sons, long used to my breads, also really loved the challah, so it joins a list of family favorites.

I am including two recipes for challah bread for you. I kind of combine the two for my own recipe, because I always like King Arthur recipes, but I love the egg richness of the second one.

As we make our preparations for the great and joyous celebrations and dinners and egg hunts of Easter, may our labors keep our minds on the reasons for the celebrations. I hope you’ll share some of your old and new family favorites here with us.

This entry was posted in Christian Values, Religion, Treehouse Tips, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to Easter Recipes

1. Jesus is The Bread Of Life!

2. Carrie2 says:

Since I work with diabetics they cannot have grains of any kind due to long staying starch sugar. However, since I am tired of ham and chicken, for all holidays my spouse makes superb Asian ribs along with my sliced sweet potato baked with Granny Smith and over with a blend of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon (to taste) and baked until apple soft, usually asparagus and a mixed green salad with avocado. Wanted a change from my years growing up in the Mid-West of the same old, same old, especially ruining sweet potatoes with marshmallows and pineapple, ham, mashed potatoes, etc. In those days I would make Easter cross buns but never really liked them. So will probably make the real Red Velvet cake which everybody loves and with the original frosting and not cream cheese. Hope we have a nice Easter Sunday here in CA as from day to day not really sure what kind of weather we will have.

3. freepetta says:

I read all your inspirational and religious texts Menagerie! Happy Palm Sunday to you and your’s and God Bless!

4. Sherri Young says:

I use Tori Avey’s recipe and her braiding instructions. Always popular.

There are braiding instructions for 3, 4, and 6-strand challahs, rolls, and a filled challah.

5. ganesh says:

So – for Challah, being not Jewish and all, my go-to recipe is from the Silver Palate Cookbook (1979), page 245. Easy to find since the binding is broken at that spot. At least in my copy. This is the recipe you want/need/is easy/traditional. Plus make sure the kids get to braid one loaf into whatever they want. Like their best likeness of Fred Flintstone. Or whatever. Salvador Dali Mustache (I have an art student)

Over time, having plumbed somewhat deeply into the depths of pre-teen dough creativity, they now prefer the standard braid, and the big argument is what color sesame seeds, and how much salt to add. Kinda like bagels, no one is right, but we all have strong opinions.

2-day old challah makes the best french toast. EVAH!

6. Sherri Young says:

Lately, I’ve been experimenting with what my sister refers to as my “mean green soup.” There is no recipe. Today, I cooked brussel sprouts and nopales (cactus leaves) with nutritional yeast, lemon pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, bacon bits (the soy variety), generous amount of olive oil, and any other seasoning that sounds good. When the vegetables are done, add a bag of spinach and a goodly amount of fresh cilantro. Cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat, take off the lid, and allow to cool a bit before running through the blender for 90 seconds.

I enjoy this healthy stuff. Don’t even think about having any if you are on anticoagulants. It is loaded with Vitamin K-1.

7. Liberty Forge says:

This video is fascinating — mesmerizing — and oh so very calming! Eleven minutes I won’t get back, but it was worth it.

Thank you for sharing this video!!

Now, I really, really want to try to make Challah bread — only I typically am not a baker!

8. Ringo Phonebone says:

challah = bread
    challah bread = bread bread

It’s just called challah.

9. AmericaFirst says:

I am hoping to make a lamb for Easter for my very first time (I like to serve ham because it is easy, but several guests also bring ham), and I would appreciate a recipe which receives kudos.

• stellap says:

I’ll put mine down below. When my older grandson was about five, I started calling “roast beast” instead of roast lamb. He’s a vegetarian now.

• AmericaFirst says:

That’s funny. So am I, but I don’t have any qualms about buying, handling, preparing, serving meat to the rest of the world.

I see your recipe below; thank you.

How many people does just one leg o’ lamb serve?

• stella says:

1/4 to 1/3 lb per person of cooked boneless lamb leg. Costco’s lamb legs are 4 or 5 pounds, I think. Figure 1/2 to 2/3 lb per person uncooked, so a 5 lb lamb leg would equal 7 to 10 servings.

• stella says:

I didn’t mention it (but should have) that my grandson’s favorite toy was a stuffed lamb. He slept with it every night. It’s name was (of course) Lambie. That’s why we called lamb roast ‘roast beast’.

• When we were young kids, our parents lived next to a farm that had chickens roaming everywhere. My older sister always wanted to make pets out of them. The only way Mom could get us to eat our chicken dinners was if she called them “Meat With a Bone In It”

I’m not sure if that nomenclature was chosen in sarcasm, but it worked.

10. Mrs. E says:

I always make this cheesecake recipe from Epicurious from Easter. The family loves it:

11. Mrs. E says:

I always make this Lemon Curd Swirled Cheesecake for Easter. It is a family favorite. The recipe is from Epicurious:

12. Mrs. E says:

I apologize if the recipe shows up twice. The browser I was using would not show it, so I tried again. Still would not show it. So I am using a different browser, and I see it now.

Happy Easter to everyone. And a very blessed Holy Week.

13. Hot Cross Buns…..a tradition in Ireland and UK on Good Friday……….

14. stella says:

The lamb recipe that Menagerie is talking about. I got it from a friend who is a caterer, and it is really delicious:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Use whole New Zealand boned leg of lamb (Costco). Remove wrapping except for small ‘girdle’ around the center to hold it together.

Make slits in meat. Insert 1/2 cloves of garlic and fresh rosemary. Rub with olive oil, salt with kosher salt and heavily pepper with fresh cracked pepper. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the leg. (The idea is to create a heavy crust on the roast) Place on rack over roasting pan.

Roast at 425 degrees for the first 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 325 degrees. Baste every 30 minute with more fresh lemon juice (squeeze over). Cook to internal temperature of 140 degrees; roast will increase temp to 145 degrees while resting. Remove roast on rack to a platter (cover with foil).

Remove fat from roasting pan. Deglaze pan with white wine, then put drippings into a sauce pan. Make gravy, adding chicken stock and more lemon juice to taste; thicken with slurry of cornstarch and water or stock.

Watch the lemon juice; it’s easy to add too much.

ADD: I forgot to mention that you should remove the lamb from the refrigerator and leave it on the counter to take off the frig chill (30-45 minutes) before roasting. When the roast reaches 140 degrees, tent with foil and allow the meat to rest for about 20 minutes before carving.

15. I for one am very thankful for all the Treepers here in this Treehouse. It has been a long slog but with Sundance’s help we are starting to see progress…One my think that there hasn’t been enough but it has…

To everyone of ALL Religions to take this week to Pray and Offer Alms so that the world becomes a much better place than what it is now.

I have harbored for a VERY long time an idea of the gender of Sundance: Anyone who can go out into hurricanes without regard to their saftey and find gas/lost souls/etc..after a hurricane — that’d be a Mamma Bear type. AND during the Litergical Seasons of the Year, the thought of food, the preparation and the exquisitness of the different foods and the blessings of family and friends, that’d be a Mamma Bear type. I do hope that one of these days we are ALL able to gather and give thanks as one and to celebrate like Jesus did at the Last Supper and sit down and share…

God Bless The Treepers during this Holy of Holies Celebrations of the Litergical Year.

• The Tundra PA says:

eagledriver, Sundance is a man, and one heck of a Pappa Bear. The posts on liturgical seasons, holy days, and food prep are generally by Menagerie, who is a woman (and a friend in real life), and a true Mamma Bear. Blessings to you, and to all Treepers, this glorious holy week.

• Any truth to the rumor that Australian lamb is less “gamey” than US lamb?

• LULU says:

Lamb should not be “gamey”. Be sure that the fell is removed from a roast. The white fat next to the meat should not be strong.

• JTR says:

My favorite is Scottish, but no luck finding it in the states! We never had lamb for Easter because we lived right next to a farmer’s sheep field and all of the wee ones were there. They are just too cute playing around and being babies, we just couldn’t stand the thought of eating one! By the Autumn, they all looked grown up like their mamas and it was OK to have one for Thanksgiving.

• queenslandkel says:

RTD. If the lamb tastes ‘gamey’ it’s a hoggett and not a lamb. As a lamb grows up it becomes a hogget (a 2 toother ie has 2 teeth) and then it becomes mutton. These three stages of a sheep’s growth taste entirely different and the cost differs. Mutton is fatty and requires long slow cooking til it’s nearly falling apart. Hoggett can be roasted like a lamb but the tell is the size of the leg (larger) and the taste.

If you’ve been sold hoggett for the price of lamb you’ve been ripped off my friend. An Aussi butcher wouldn’t try it. Word of mouth and government regulatory consequences would be dire to his reputation and business.

A hint for all lamb roasters – put the roasting dish in the oven when bringing it to temperature. Takes slightly less cooking time but the bigger benefit is in taste. The bottom of the roast gets caramelised if you’ve rubbed it with olive oil (so do the vegetables).

• Mrs Danvers says:

For superb meat buy New Zealand lamb. Totally grass fed. (And that’s from a totally un-biased New Zealander!😉)

16. IHTF Place says:

That’s a great challah video. There’s just something a bit not quite right, though, about an iconic Jewish bread next weekend, during Passover, the one week of the year when Jews all over the world won’t be eating bread at all. Chag Sameach, whether Passover or Easter….

17. YvonneMarie says:

N I C E. !!!
    These ladies could be my neighbors.
    We look out for each other.

18. boomerbeth says:

I wondered why challah was on sale in the publix supermarket bakery the week of Passover! Only matzoh for Passover but challah for The Last Supper.
    Try Publix with poppy seeds or raisins.

Gourmet French toast with challah.
    Freeze challah overnight.
    Cut in thick slices with bread knife the next morning.
    Add cinnamon & vanilla to the egg batter. Dip & Fry in unsalted butter.

Serve with natural maple syrup & fresh strawberries,

19. ATheoK says:

Excellent Challah weaving video! I’ve had it bookmarked, through a few address changes, for decades.

Challah recipe changes:
    1) Add an extra egg yolk for richness
    2) Add in a teaspoon of honey to the recipe, add a tablespoon in the coating egg wash.
    3) Chop,1/4″, dates, dried figs and apricots. Add into the challah dough during the last few minutes of mixing!

This provides a sweeter rather special challah for special occasions or simply to be memorable.
    N.B. The honey added to the dough slightly slows fermentation.
    N.B. 2; The chopped dried fruits will similarly obstruct fermentation if added too soon as the fruit pieces get smeared through the dough.
    N.B. 3; Add the honey into the wet ingredients to prevent changing the dry to wet ration much.

Since you’ve gone and made challah, you might as well start making latkes too.
    Well, I originally learned to make them as potato pancakes.
    1) Coarsely shred potatoes. I frequently use the largest potatoes available, baking potatoes.
    2) Rinse the shredded potatoes with cold water until all surface starch is removed. This greatly slows raw potatoes from turning brown and aids crispiness.
    3) Drain the shredded potatoes.Sometimes I use a salad spinner to hasten this process.
    4) Mix 2-3 eggs with your personal preference of pepper and 1/4 cup parmesan. If not for Passover, add in 1/4 cup of flour.
    5) Mix thoroughly, then start adding handfuls of shredded potatoes. Continue mixing and adding until the whole batch is covered with some egg wash.
    6) In a large frying pan, add sufficient oil to have 1/4″ deep high temperature oil.
    7) Heat the oil until hot. Test readiness by dropping potato shreds into the oil. Sufficiently hot oil will immediately start frying. Use a tool to lift shreds out of oil if they are not immediately frying.
    8) Cook until the pancake until the edges start to brown, then flip over. away from the cook!

When golden brown, drain and put on a rack or towel to continue draining. Good luck protecting finished pancakes from tasters. Once the pancake is cool enough, just like cookies, they vanish from the plate.

20. R.A. Carrera says:

We still have a couple weeks before we celebrate, but a blessed Palm Sunday to our Western Christian friends!

21. LULU says:

Long ago, when I was a very adventurous baker and cook, I made a gorgeous (zero humility) challah. It was lovely, slightly eggy rich, a wonderful thing to behold and to eat. I was so proud of myself. You must try it at least once. It is great fun to make and you will love it.

22. wodiej says:

I don’t know how anyone can kill and eat a baby lamb.

• Sandra-VA says:

Because they are delicious… and especially with mint sauce?

• GB Bari says:

Because we’re BAA-A-A-A-A-A-A-D…. 🙂

Besides that, spring lamb may be one of the tastiest and healthiest meat dishes one can eat. I prefer lamb to filet mignon, although a really great Randall Lineback filet can give lamb a serious run for its money.

Also, while lamb is tasty, mutton is an acquired tasted. I haven’t yet acquired it.

Mankind has been raising sheep and goats for 000’s of years and eating them all the while.

• Sandra-VA says:

Mutton is DELICIOUS! I used to love the mutton stew my Dad cooked for us… the smell permeated the house and we were always very hungry by the time it was ready. Takes a long slow cook to make it tender…. so perfect for a stew.

The best part was the marrow… yum!!!!

• GB Bari says:

Must have been the spices and herbs he used.

I had tried roasted mutton at a friends house several decades ago. It was tough and strong tasting. Only had kosher salt and pepper. They ate it monthly with yams and beets. His wife’s family was from eastern Europe.

• stella says:

As my cousin, the grass-fed lamb farmer says, we don’t name the male lambs, unless its ‘lunch’, ‘dinner’ or ‘lamb chop’.

23. utopia says:

Potica covfefe cake ~ easy version 🙂
    (overnite refrigerator dough ~ can sub yellow raisins for dates)
    been baking original Slovenian poticas for years and just tried this today
    YUMMY ! Blessed Holy Week & EASTER

24. 100% YOOPER says:

QUESTION: Has anybody deep-fried a ham and is it worth it?

My brain works in mysterious ways, I’m dead asleep last night and woke up at 2:45 thinking I should deep-fry a ham for Easter. I would like to know if it’s worth it so I don’t waste money a ham and it not turning out. Any help is bigly appreciated 😁

25. blognificentbee says:

Any suggestions for sides for the lamb recipe above? My go-to would mashed potatoes. But I am wanting to do something different.

• Shelley Keith Childs says:

We roast sweet potatoes, onions, and carrots along with the lamb, and on the stovetop steam frozen chopped asparagus as our green.

• spoogels says:

Ingredients

3 tbsp olive oil

2 tbsp maple syrup

juice and zest of 1 lime

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp sweet smoked paprika

1 tsp ground chipotle

1 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp chilli flakes

3 sweet potatoes(the orange ones-about 1kg), peeled, sliced along the length using a mandolin or sharp knife

1 tsp salt, to season

To serve

½ cup soft Persian-style feta

coarsely torn coriander leaves

oregano leaves (optional)

salt and pepper to season

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 170C.

2. In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup, lime juice and zest, and the spices.

3. Rub a 20cm-diameter round earthenware dish with a little butter then layer or arrange the potato slices standing up around the dish, seasoning with salt as you go. Spoon over the oil, maple and spice mixture, like you would with a salad dressing.

4. Roast in the oven for 45 to 55 minutes, checking regularly from the 30 minute mark. Gently poke a fork into a potato slice – if you are met with any resistance, continue to cook for additional 10 minutes, then check again at 10 minute intervals. If the top is taking on too much colour, cover the dish tightly with foil and return to the oven, before removing the foil for the last five or so minutes of cooking time.

5. Remove from heat and scatter over the feta, pushing some pieces between the slices of potato so they melt. Top with coriander, season with salt and pepper and serve.

26. spoogels says:

Be careful with Poppy seeds
    You can use sesame seeds–imo much tastier
    If you are drug tested at work it can give a false positive test for opiates

How eating four slices of multigrain bread at a airport lounge led a fly-in-fly-out miner to failing a drugs test – and him stood down from his job

___________
    and
    Occupational physician Dr Robert McCartney, who specialises in creating healthy workplaces, said there had been a sudden spike of positive drug tests – all down to poppy seeds.

and
    __________________
    Poppy seeds: delicious bagel topping or dangerous narcotic?

27. bkrg2 says:

Im going to try smoking a leg of lamb

This guy has a ton of excellent recipes. I did the smoked ham last year and it was great (and way cheaper than Honey Baked Hams)