Palm Sunday, Holy Week Begins

palm-sunday

GospelLK 19:28-40

Jesus proceeded on his journey up to Jerusalem.
As he drew near to Bethphage and Bethany
at the place called the Mount of Olives,
he sent two of his disciples.
He said, “Go into the village opposite you,
and as you enter it you will find a colt tethered
on which no one has ever sat.
Untie it and bring it here.

And if anyone should ask you,
‘Why are you untying it?’
you will answer,
‘The Master has need of it.’”
So those who had been sent went off
and found everything just as he had told them.
And as they were untying the colt, its owners said to them,
“Why are you untying this colt?”
They answered,
“The Master has need of it.”
So they brought it to Jesus,
threw their cloaks over the colt,
and helped Jesus to mount.
As he rode along,
the people were spreading their cloaks on the road;
and now as he was approaching the slope of the Mount of Olives,
the whole multitude of his disciples
began to praise God aloud with joy
for all the mighty deeds they had seen.
They proclaimed:
“Blessed is the king who comes
in the name of the Lord.
Peace in heaven
and glory in the highest.”
Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him,
“Teacher, rebuke your disciples.”
He said in reply,
“I tell you, if they keep silent,
the stones will cry out!”

set my face like flintIS 50:4-7

The Lord GOD has given me
a well-trained tongue,
that I might know how to speak to the weary
a word that will rouse them.
Morning after morning
he opens my ear that I may hear;
and I have not rebelled,
have not turned back.
I gave my back to those who beat me,
my cheeks to those who plucked my beard;
my face I did not shield
from buffets and spitting.

The Lord GOD is my help,
therefore I am not disgraced;
I have set my face like flint,
knowing that I shall not be put to shame.

What was Jesus doing at the Triumphal Entry?

Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI explains:

Jesus claims the right of kings, known throughout antiquity, to requisition modes of transport.

The use of an animal on which no one had yet sat is a further pointer to the right of kings. Most striking, though, are the Old Testament allusions that give a deeper meaning to the whole episode. . . .

For now let us note this: Jesus is indeed making a royal claim. He wants his path and his action to be understood in terms of Old Testament promises that are fulfilled in his person. . . .

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/9-things-you-need-to-know-about-palm-passion-sunday/#ixzz3VjXWfUi3

This entry was posted in Christian Values, Religion, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to Palm Sunday, Holy Week Begins

1. Menagerie:

Very nice presentation.

It is good to keep these things in mind and meditate upon the holy things of God in our minds, hearts, souls and very spirits. (We really should all year long as well. Helps us to stay spiritually tuned up)

Shalom and may you be blessed for your part here.

2. cthulhu says:

I was born a year before the Kennedy assassination. I was thoroughly educated in credentialism, hate and scorn. I was taught that religion was evil, God was dead, and the State was a bulwark against medieval tendencies.

Thank you, Menagerie, for a beautiful and moving post.

• cthulhu:

“I grew up under a constant shower of Gramsci abuse. But I learned one thing that was not on the Gramsci program — it feels better to hang out with calm, forgiving, accepting, explaining people of faith.

Even when you have your doubts, even when you question your place, even when you are near to despair……it is better to congregate with those who will comfort you…..and, just maybe, lead you to salvation.”

Excellent interpretation. And correct!

Hearts, minds and souls of anger, bitterness and hatred exclusively congregating among themselves for company only exponentially proliferates the darkness and hatred of their existence.

On the other end of the spectrum, hearts, minds and souls of love, comfort, kindness and generosity tend to lift up and strengthen each other.

Shalom and blessings

3. I learned a new skill this week at church, making the palm crosses that we pin on our lapels for Palm Sunday. What a joyous time we had making 500 of these from strips of palms. It is a bit like origami, and takes some patience but is soothing. Perhaps a bit like counting rosary beads?

TY Menagerie for the Isaiah passage and the excerpt from Pope Benedict. Jesus brought us a godly kingdom that for now, is not temporal. Yet His power and grace have been so evident in the past year in so many ways! For me Palm Sunday is usually lovely because of Spring weather and camaraderie at church, but tinged with sadness knowing thet the hosannas of Palm Sunday quickly became the denials of Good Friday, not to mention Jesus’s death. Oh if I can only hold this lesson in mind in my daily walk.

• When I was a much younger man, I had occasions by invitation to preach a little here and there. I’ve never been any kind of a regular preacher. Just did it from time to time when asked. I was a serious student of the Scriptures at a very young age so was always prepared and didn’t need notes or papers in front of me. I have been a firm believer of speaking straight from the heart so that the word of God is spontaneous and not like a robotic presentation.

The last time I ever preached was in a Methodist church (I was not Methodist, just going there awhile in between different phases of life going on back then.) And that was on Palm Sunday. I remember the occasion quite well.

They were expecting the same ole traditional, year after year after year thing. But I went a bit deeper than all of that in that sermon on that Palm Sunday some 35 years ago. They were not used to that.

I talked about living the actual Christian life from the heart and spirit, not as being lip-professing Christians, the kind of people God said through the prophet Jeremiah…”They profess Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me.” Yeah, I actually went there. You can tell by looking at the faces of your audience when they are uncomfortable. I never was one to mince words and make people feel good with cotton candy stuff.

I always believed; live the truth, be bold to speak it, and don’t be a hypocrite.

My father and I used to have this conversation about what God really wants from us. He said, “Son, I think one of the things the Lord wants from us the most is to be honest with Him.” I concur with that to this day. This is the way to draw near to God and actually learn how to hear Him communicate with our spirits, hearts and conscience and how to communicate back with Him in and through prayer.

Paul said to let every man work out his own salvation in fear and trembling, and to study to show yourself a workman worthy of his meats. Still good biblical advice today.

Shalom and bless all here this Palm Sunday.

• Judith says:

I think the Lord wants us to be honest with *ourselves.* He already knows every one of us. But do we know who we are?

• Judith:

He wants us to be honest with Him….about ourselves.

Your question is a very good one that provokes deep thought.

We know ourselves only to a point, but not near as completely as He knows us.

But of what things we do know about ourselves, especially our negative aspects, He wants us to be honest about and simply confess those things to Him. Yes, He already knows, but He desires the honest confession of our hearts to Him.

Romans 7:18-25 is a superb example. Paul offered a most genuine and honest appraisal of his flesh and wasn’t afraid to write out that confession. So as he did, we would do well to follow his example.

Thanks for your comment and question. Shows you think deeply about these things.

Shalom and blessed Palm Sunday.

You might say, in better words, He wants us to be honest with Him *about* ourselves…that is, at least within the limits of what we know of ourselves.

The heart can never plumb the depths of itself like the Holy Spirit of God. We must trust Him for that work of Jesus Christ within our hearts and minds.

Peace.

• kurt72 says:

Judith’s question is an excellent one! We can only know ourselves to a certain point as a mortal of the realm so to speak. God knows us in a different way since His ways are above our ways. He knows us outside of our temporal restrictions. He know our past and our eternal future since He exists outside of time. He knows we will survive, learn and continue evolving into Spirit. We are eternal in our journey towards the Divine. This is merely the beginning.
            Shalom
            God Bless

• All I can say is that you have wonderfully summed
              up this quandary of a great and deep equation of the relationship between Creator and Creation.

This tells me exactly where your heart of understanding is…in a good and heavenly, scripturally established place of real truth.

Thank you so much for your insightful input!

And you obviously know and understand that scripture in Isaiah where it is written…”My ways are higher than your ways as the heavens are above the earth.”

Thank you so, so much for your comment/reply. It is greatly appreciated!…blessed me today!

• kurt72 says:

Thank you Angelle! Your writings have always interested me but I’m just such a monk that I never socialize here. I write very little due to shyness which I must conquer. God is helping. Peace to you!

• I so appreciate your reply/comment. Really!

You talk about shyness…but you are being genuinely honest in the appraisal of your present day status of socializing. Good for you! Better to be patient about our reactions socially as it goes for online communications.

But maybe, just maybe, God has kept you in His shadows until a time that He wills for your voice to be heard. Believe me, I hear it today!

I have had this go around of thought for a long time. The Lord’s will for our lives are far higher than our lower, earthly estimates. I thank God for His better wisdom than my own.

I opine that you are on tract….I sense humility and meekness in and of your heart before God.

Thank you for sharing as such.

He will keep and preserve you and give you whatever you need to be a useful vessel for His Kingdom of Heaven.

Shalom and all His best for you and yours!

PS: Sometimes God works best in the quiet, silent voices who represent His real Heart. Me thinks you are one of those…….

• Menagerie says:

I think we know ourselves best as innocent children, we accept and value who we are without thinking about it at all. Too soon we grow up to try to “become” and leave behing what we really are.

• Carrie2 says:

Angelle, coming from a Jewish background on my father’s side,never ever heard any of them, and they many, ever saying shalom maybe because the escaped the pogrom in Russia and still would never feel at peace even living here. Strange that for sure.

• BetsyRossRocked says:

I think our wonderful President speaks straight from his heart , that’s one of the many things I love about him !

• I absolutely agree. And one of the reasons he does is because he loves our nation and its people. The dems are so scripted all the time because they speak and communicate out of constant bitter anger snd hatred. Nothing spontaneous about that.

Best, A

• pacnwbel says:

Dear Wisdom…. our assistant priest preached today. His theme was the paradoxical fickleness of the crowd in calling out Hosanna which means Save me, and fast forward to Good Friday when the crowd cries out for crucifixion. How strange, the priest said, that by crying Hosanna on the one hand and calling Crucify Him on the other, they were calling for their own salvation without realizing what they were doing, setting Jesus up for the supreme sacrifice to redeem the world from sin.

4. Joshua says:

I was told to share this:

You must suffer. For this is life.

We all suffer. Even the Kings. Time is suffering itself.

There is no good without evil. It cannot exist otherwise.

It is better to suffer for another because it is redemptive – the Christ gave us this though it was there before. The reason this is redemptive is because it manifests the fact that we are not alone. That reality is, and you are, not entirely distinct from the Eternal.

Redemption cannot be imposed through suffering.

You have to make a choice. It is freedom at its most basic level.

The choice is yours.

When your thoughts hum He is with you:

I’ll add: the wavefunction of the cosmos is solemn; yet it vibrates at Your fingertips.

5. William Schneider says:

May all treepers have a blessed holy week that brings us all closer to Christ our saviour- and to our Father and Jesus’s Father in heaven. May we all keep our President and his dear wife in our prayers also to have blessed and peaceful Holy week.

Thanks again Menagerie for this posting-and the included words from the beloved ex Pope Benedict XV1.

6. @ChicagoBri says:

God became man and was killed by men, by a foreign government urged on by religious men who feared that their earthly power was in peril.

7. salansfool says:

Also as Yeshua entered Jerusalem he was surrounded by Passover lambs that had been raised in the hills around Bethlehem and were now being brought to the temple to be inspected for 4 days to make sure that they were without defect to insure that they could be sacrificed on Passover. So Yeshua spent His final days in the temple being “inspected” before he stood before Pilate who pronounced “I can find no fault in Him.”

8. Jeff P. says:

Amen and God Blesses us all.

9. Conservative_302 says:

This week I’ve been thinking about keeping God central in my life. He is most important. It is so easy when I go though a difficulty to make this central, but I have to remind myself to make my problems more important than God is wrong. God is here with me. He already knows how my life will turn out. He has or will put the people or things in place for me. All I have to do is pray, be thankful, love my brother, and work hard. So many times in life I have put myself before God and tried to force outcomes. Now I know better. I am thankful to God for his forgiveness and blessings.

10. cliffaheadwolvesbehind says:

Thank you!
    “Entering holy week” puts this week in a totally different, better perspective.
    We had really just been thinking this was the last season of GOT tonight.
    Going to spend some time in reflection this morning.
    Love your posts.

11. MightyMustardSeed says:

Hosannah to The King. So sobering that Jesus knew the praises would turn to scorn. Those He came to save would torture Him to death.

Thank You Menagerie and fellow Treepers, this series has been so rich with God’s love for us.

12. moe2004 says:

These writings have truly helped me with my Lenten sacrifices, thank you for reminding me why we do this.
    And I can hardly wait for a good dessert and a snack between meals.

13. Menagerie says:

If you read nothing else this week, I would recommend this. It is a great reflection for beginning Holy Week, and how we can make the most of the spiritual gifts God offers us.

14. Thank you for the link. Very good to recall, remember and reflect on what I was taught but had either forgotten, didn’t connect with, or otherwise ignored.

Again, thank you. I shared it with several family members.

15. Sugarhillhardrock S says:

Menagerie,
    Thank you for these Lenten posts.

I did not understand the symbolism related to the right of kings, which in context explains Christ’s uniqueness as Lord, if I’m piecing things together corretly.

You are helping recenter me. Thank you and God Bless you for making TCTH a special well to drink from.

16. Lev25v10 says:

“At the same time, through this anchoring of the text in Zechariah 9:9, a “Zealot” exegesis of the kingdom is excluded: Jesus is not building on violence; he is not instigating a military revolt against Rome. His power is of another kind: it is in God’s poverty, God’s peace, that he identifies the only power that can redeem [Jesus of Nazareth, vol. 2].”

I struggle with this interpretation. True, Jesus the Messiah did not instigate a physical revolt…

BUT… His kingdom is built upon Himself. And it was a violent beginning.

In the Garden, Christ violently faced His death to point of sweating blood!

Have you never read what we did to Him? We beat Him, mocked Him and crucified Him.

Matthew 11:12 From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence, and the violent take it by force.

I would suggest that earthquakes are quite violent!

And upon His death… Matthew 27:54 Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the EARTHQUAKE, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God. And at His resurrection: Matthew 28:2 And, behold, there was a great EARTHQUAKE: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.

Have you never read what He did before rising again?

He was not meek and humble in death. He TRIUMPHED over death, hell and the grave.

Colossians 2:15 He (Jesus) disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him.

Ephesians 4:8-10 Therefore it says, “When he ascended on high he led a host of captives, and he gave gifts to men.” (In saying, “He ascended,” what does it mean but that he had also descended into the lower regions, the earth? He who descended is the one who also ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.)

He is the Triumphant and Victorious King… in Peace and in Violence!

17. ruralnc6 says:

Thank you so much, Menagerie, for this post and for so many others you’ve posted throughout the years. You are such a sweet woman. It doesn’t matter that I’ve never met you. I feel I know you and I love you.

My Testimony: Less than three weeks ago I was struck with a strange illness. It started with weird pains in my chest; when I arose from my couch, I was stricken with shortness of breath and had to return to the couch whereby fierce pains in my upper back occurred.

Two times I thought I needed to call EMS. I’m stubborn, though, and had to process the calling. I live alone, have 2 dogs, my local friends have many issues, and the one who could come to help me and the dogs lives 5 hours away.

So, I began talking to Jesus. Because I couldn’t do anything, I began looking at as many Christian movies on YouTube as I could…maybe 20+. They awakened me to realize that I had become lukewarm and had treated God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit as Friends I see occasionally.

When I was finally able to get up, all I wanted was my Bible, sitting on a “dusty shelf.” I wondered where I should start again with it. Inner thoughts, sent from the Lord, said The Book of John.

Out of the blue my high school BFF called me, said she had me in her mind the whole day. Her brother was a highly renowned minister who’s no longer with us. She told me that he always said, “Start or start over with John.”

I’m using two YouTube ministers to help me with my studies: Chuck Missler and Dr. Bob Utley. It’s a slow process studying the Book of John, which is good, as I read a chapter and take many pages of notes from Chuck and John.

I inherited two pictures of Jesus which are in my living room. The one closest to my couch is Jesus holding His staff with a lamb in His arms and His other sheep behind Him. I’ve been taught that it’s a form of blasphemy to talk to an image like this. I don’t think so as I talk to the picture and I know Jesus understands.

I asked Jesus to come in my house and be the head of my household. He accepted. As a consequence the aura in my house and in myself has greatly changed. A Big Comfort has come to erase the confusion I’ve felt about our world and a negativity has left my house and me. When I do leave my house, as I need to go in the grocery stores and even the Walmart, a store I’ve hated to go to, I’ve conversed with and interacted with many amazing people.

Jesus has always come to help me all of my life as I was so fortunately blessed to be born from Christian parents who here in my small town are still considered as “saints.”

I write my recent testimony to help. Actually, we all have recently been overwhelmed the past several years, have been in shock about the evilness of Pedogate, etc. being exposed along with feeling sick about the fake Russian Dossier, the Loudmouth and the new members of the Demo Congress.

In essence, we’ve all been totally overwhelmed. I was living that life. I’m so thankful that I endured a scary illness to awaken me. God chose President Trump. I need not any longer have to worry about the long-enduring political chaos. Our Beloved President will be just fine and I look forward to his leadership for this term and his next one. My Assignment now is to go out, smile, say “Hey” as a southerner to everyone I pass by, and bring some cheer in my fellow citizens’ lives, so many who’re hurting,

Thank you for reading my testimony. May the Lord bless you richly every day, that if you need a wake-up call that you didn’t even know you needed, like me, my testimony may help you. I wish you great joy, love, and miracles.

• Derald Snyder says:

Amen, brother. Amen. 🙏

• kurt72 says:

Your testimony has greatly helped me ruralnc6! I will begin my studies of John with your suggestions. Thank you so much! This is life-changing for me. I am being moved.
      Shalom!
      Bless you!

• ruralnc6 says:

Kurt72, Thank You So Much! But most especially, THANK YOU, JESUS!!! Today I didn’t write my post; the Holy Spirit Did.

I am so happy for you! For me the pains, confusing issues, fears, distractions have ceased. I thought I was OK as I wasn’t “sinning” in my own definition of “sin.” I just didn’t realize that I’d let politics, household breakdowns, distractions, many personal issues of distraught had taken #1 in my life and the Lord had taken a lower slot.

I’m overjoyed that you will re-find solace and peace again. ASAP, I know you will have revealed to you the big questions of “What Is My Purpose In Life? Why am I still here?” as those questions were answered for me ASAP.

May the Lord bless you fully as you reconnect with Him. Now your good inner qualities that the world desperately needs will emerge at a heightened level. Please observe tomorrow when you step out “in the world” to see a different reaction from people, strangers and the familiar, about you and the inner glow from the Lord that you are projecting.

I hope to reconnect with you on the Daily Thread as we have much to share with each other. The Holy Spirit is “beeping me” to post a song on Menagerie’s thread, so I’ll be back with it, dedicated to you.
        Blessings, prayers, and Christian love for you from me.

• kurt72 says:

Thank you ruralnc! Your use of the word “reconnect” resonates strongly with me. I’ve tended to have a more technical relationship with God through the years as opposed to a personal one. This is what has changed for me. I’ve always prayed to and talked with God the Father on a formal level. Today this has changed! You can see it in my earlier post today with Angelle. After reading your posts I feel a very different thing altogether. It’s a shift from God the Father to Jesus Christ Himself!! It’s radically different. The feeling of love and warmth comes through my heart and soul rather than through my head and mind. This is the best I can describe this new sensation today. I think I know what they mean by “born again” now.
          We went out for lunch and had a wonderful time. People are so nice. I’m just blown away!
          I’ve started watching some videos you mentioned by Chuck Missler and an online Bible study of John. I can’t thank you enough!!
          God Bless
          Kurt

• ruralnc6 says:

kurt72, I’ve tried multiple times to post the promised video to you with no success. I’ll try again. It’s on Youtube, Luther Barnes, “Heaven’s On My Mind.”

• Menagerie says:

What a truly awesome and motivating story you have with Jesus. I am glad that you shared it with us, and I smile as I think about the good you have to come. FWIW, I think your picture of Jesus is your Icon, and you aren’t talking to a picture at all, but something that helps you center your mind and heart on our Lord.

• ruralnc6 says:

Hello, Beloved Menagerie. I have loved you from afar for several years because you are such a sweet, kind Christian woman who has brought me much joy and wonderful messages. As a southerner I still use the term “Mama.” You remind me so much of her that when I read your posts, it’s as if my mama is speaking to me from Heaven.

You’re exactly right about my viewing my Jesus picture. I don’t need the picture to pray and just recently have found a comfort to look at it when I do. Jesus understands. When I meet Him in the “sweet by and by,” I don’t expect Him to look like the artist’s version of Him in the picture.
        Thank you so much, Menagerie. I feel very grateful and honored that you wrote me. May the Lord continue to bless you and your family and that you will continue to post your sweet, healing messages for us.

• Menagerie says:

Thank you for such kind words. I am a Southerner, a Mama to three wonderfully men, and a grandmother now as well. Prayers for you and yours this Holy Week.

• boogywstew says:

Are you talking to “the picture” itself? Maybe, just maybe, you’re talking to the Person represented in the picture and “the picture” helps you to visualize that Person?

• KP Smith says:

Beautiful testimony, ruralnc6.

I hope and pray your physical health continues to improve and your spiritual health continues to grow. Father always helps those who ask Him.

In Jesus’ precious Name. Amen.

18. Got home from Palm Sunday Mass…had the procession of Bible Reading from outside the church to the inside…Very Moving…

Holy Week/Easter is one of I enjoy the most to get back to reflect on the needs not the wants…

Prayers to all AND for all in this Country of OURS called: The United States of America…

19. Carrie2 says:

Have we noticed that again we who follow God in many ways are being hounded, put down as Jews, Catholics and other faith beliefs by those who are putting us down, shutting us down, and pushing every sin and behavior as good and wanting to rule what we say, learn, do and literally want us dead or slaves? We are being challenged daily by those who prefer evil in all it forms and so many who profess they have faith are saying just the opposite. Are we fighting against all of Satan’s seemingly having more control of our daily lives all over this world or just complaining and praying and not getting out there to clean up the mess we have allowed to be and progress? We all need to wake up from the neck up and truly live the life Jesus died to give us in spite of the naysayers then and their life of sin. Are we really on the path to take back our country and our faith in God or just talk about it?

20. NJF says:

I hope everyone is having a blessed Palm Sunday.

This is an amazing story.

21. DanDeplorable says:

Artist: Annie Vallotton

22. 4EDouglas says:

Lutheran roots- currently Baptist. Went to two different churches today.
    One was our usual in town church-no reference to Palm Sunday.
    Just a bit on the Ten Commandments.
    went to the affiliated “Cowboy” church in the after noon.
    Completely different . Felt like Holy Week and Easter..
    Thanks Menagerie.

23. Sepp says:

Hello folks,

Thank God for places like this where Christians may share matters of the Faith.

Just a little note to share that next Sunday in the Orthodox Christian Churches it will be the Feast of the Entry of the Lord Jesus Christ into Jerusalem.

A little historical note to add is that this date is in keeping with the adoption of the Patristic Calendar and Paschalion by the Bishops at the First Œcumenical Synod at Nicæa in 325.

May the days ahead be a time of genuine spiritual benefit for all.

24. Beverly says:

Our minister (old church Anglican, STILL Christian — ACNA.org) gave a real good sermon on what happened between Palm Sunday when Jesus entered Jerusalem in triumph with all the people shouting his name — and Good Friday, just five days later when the same crowd yelled “Crucify Him!”

Rev. Matt said, “The difference was: he went into the Temple and threw over the tables of the moneychangers. He told the rich man to sell all he had and give it to the poor, and “come and follow Me.” He did no more public miracles (which is what the crowd were shouting for).

And he called them to Commitment. That message is never as popular as “I will heal you and feed you.”

Everything Just Got Real.

Peace and blessings to all believers, and may all of you who doubt, come in and join the Feast: you are welcome.

25. Beverly says:

By the way, if there are any Episcopalians reading this blog who are longing for a CHRISTIAN church (most of our Episcopalian churches, tragically, have been seduced by the Left), come to one of our Anglican Church of North America congregations. We are still keeping the faith biblically, and we use the 1685 Book of Common Prayer. And we don’t bow the neck to the Archbishop of Canterbury any more (the “Jesus is Optional” heretic). Saint Thomas a Beckett of Canterbury would be appalled at his successors.

I’m so grateful I found St. Alban’s in NYC.