The Fifth Sunday Of Lent 2019

GospelJN 8:1-11

Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.
But early in the morning he arrived again in the temple area,
and all the people started coming to him,
and he sat down and taught them.
Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman
who had been caught in adultery
and made her stand in the middle.

They said to him,
“Teacher, this woman was caught
in the very act of committing adultery.
Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women.
So what do you say?”
They said this to test him,
so that they could have some charge to bring against him.
Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger.
But when they continued asking him,
he straightened up and said to them,
“Let the one among you who is without sin
be the first to throw a stone at her.”
Again he bent down and wrote on the ground.
And in response, they went away one by one,
beginning with the elders.
So he was left alone with the woman before him.
Then Jesus straightened up and said to her,
“Woman, where are they?
Has no one condemned you?”
She replied, “No one, sir.”
Then Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you.
Go, and from now on do not sin any more.”

This entry was posted in Christian Values, Religion, Treehouse Campfire, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to The Fifth Sunday Of Lent 2019

1. James Street says:

Thank you Menagerie. All through Lent I think about your previous Sunday’s post and look forward to your next Sunday’s post. Perhaps you can post throughout the liturgical year? 🙂

• Menagerie says:

Thank you James. I post for Lent, Easter, probably Pentecost, Advent, and Christmas, I also sometimes do other secular holidays and a random thing or two.

• jbt says:

Thank you Menagerie, I am not Catholic but find your posts bring peace and renewal. Our sweet young neighbor (14 yrs oldd) brought us some freshly-baked focaccia bread the first week of Lent this year. She brings all her neighbors something every year and several times during the year. They are true, practicing Catholics. 🙂

• Menagerie says:

I am trying to post for all Christians and those who are curious. I know that I can only share from my knowledge, but I hope that since so many other denominations observe Lent we can all share the same experiences as we look forward to Easter Sunday.

• G. Alistar says:

Thank you…..sadly most of us forget Jesus’ last line of this great parable “go and sin no more…..”

• Rick Downing says:

And if people would spend a week or more in Medjugorje during the lenten period, many would find it difficult to sin any longer. This place has a transforming effect on many people, particularly those who are fortunate enough to visit during an apparition. If you want to reconnect with your spiritul self, this is the place to go. You won’t find another community on earth where the residents are as committed to the Holy Mass & Eucharist as they are in Medjugorje.

2. Jeff P. says:

Amen and thank you Menagerie for all of these wonderful posts promoting our Awesome Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and God the Father. Happy 5th Sunday all! God Bless us everyone, and everyone of US Bless God with our praise and worship and songs and hymns.

3. William Schneider says:

This beautiful story from the bible reminds us yet again of the wonderful compassion and genius of our Lord and God Jesus. Let us pray for our president Trump that he be blessed with the wisdom and courage of Soloman as he maneuvers through the mine-field of present day Washington politics to lead our country toward greatness.

• Sayit2016 says:

Amen and Amen….

• sat0422 says:

I pray that the local and state leaders who are not as wise or smart as Trump and who do not follow Jesus will be enlightened and shamed into becoming leaders with wisdom and leave the devil wondering what has happened.
      I love this story and it rings true to every human being.

4. Remington..... says:

Absolutely love your posts. I look forward to them Saturday evening before i.e. turn in….thank you…

5. wlbeattie says:

I enjoyed reading that – thank you.
    It’s been a while since I’ve heard it – other than in my own mind!

6. Sayit2016 says:

Menagerie.. what bible translation is this from- I really like the easy flow of it .

7. Johnny Bravo says:

• Menagerie says:

Thank you. I have two autistic grandsons, and I pray they have kids like that cross their paths. What a difference it makes.

• Johnny Bravo says:

The scripture you put before us today is so beautiful, simple and beautiful. To have the wisdom the Lord showed to put those who suggest they know better, in their place.

God bless your grandchildren and all people needing a kind word or gesture Managerie.

A little story, if I may. I stopped for a hitchhiker yesterday (I take good care), who, it turned out, was on his way to an interview scheduled tomorrow.

It turned out he had fallen on tough times, ex-vet and needed a lift to the town 70 miles away, I obliged, the story of his life had turned very sad, but he wasnt about to give up or give in. Many would have.

I’d been fasting myself earlier in the week and wanted a worthy soul to whom I could help, sure enough Steve was put before me.

What did it cost me? I was travelling Steve’s way with an empty car. So after dropping Steve off, wishing him well and providing him with a little money; I read your post this morning. I recommitted to the Lord, that I would work harder to listen to the Spirit for guidance and do all I could to lighten someone else’s load.

If you see Steve (or someone like him) tell him I hope he found another who helped him until he was strong enough to repay the favour!

• Roni says:

Thanks for posting, Chris. We need more stories like that.

8. Conservative_302 says:

I watched the movie, Heaven in Real, last night. It was really good.

9. moe2004 says:

Truly enjoy all your posts, thank you.

10. paulmafinga says:

“Imitate Jesus.”
    –Fmr. Pres. George Washington

11. lotbusyexec says:

I wish the CTH started every day with posts like this. A daily reminder of what is truly most important. On a side note, I wanted to let you know that I went out and bought of Leonard Baskin’s work (Baskin, Sculpture, Drawing, Prints). Sadly, the book did not have that particular piece. The sculpture “Unconditional Love” has been haunting me all week. He has many works or art (woodblocks, drawings, sculptures…) but Menagerie’s post with that image captured the essence of the Fourth Sunday of Lent and brought it all home for me. I hope one day to visit that garden and see it in person. Would love to know where in TN it is. It is filled with messages and HOPE!

12. SPMI says:

O Jesus, I surrender myself to you.
    Take care of everything.

13. cliffaheadwolvesbehind says:

My favorite part of CTH.
    It helps reset me, you know?
    I can actually feel something quiet inside and I’m not a very religious person.
    So, thank you!

14. VinceWhirlwind says:

The age-old question: Where was the guy? According to Leviticus 20:10, he should have been stoned to death also.

Tch! Male privilege!

• PInky1920 says:

Leviticus is the old mosaic law; the new law is mercy and forgiveness, which Jesus Christ preached for all; including the man involved in the adultery. The woman was privileged to receive mercy and life that day.

There’s no such thing as male privilege in Christianity, unless you consider being beaten half to death, and then crucified a privilege.

• VinceWhirlwind says:

The accusers followed the Mosaic Law. This was part of Jesus’ test in this episode.

That last part was sarcasm. Sorry for the misrepresentation.

15. PInky1920 says:

Praise be to Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Just as he stood between the sinner and those who would judge and kill her, he stands in defense of all sinners, us, me, defending us from eternal damnation.

He died so we may live. Thank you for eternal life, Jesus.

16. Tottie Mitchell says:

I lived a few years on a Greek Island. Paska is their most significant Christian festival-more so that Christmas or Χριστούγεννα. Good Friday was most memorable to me as all day the church bell- ubiquitous in cities and villages) would ring a slow syncopated single chime all day. That sound was a minute-by-minute reminder of the toll being taken for us as a whole and for each person as a child of God. Then came the glorious Χριστός ἀνέστη! Christ is Risen!

17. andeclain says:

It was pointed out to us today that when the scribes and the pharisees realized that they were wrong, it was the elders who started walking away first as they were the first to get the message. The pastor presented it to the youth as a lesson in respecting the wisdom of the older people. That was just mentioned in passing as he concentrated on forgiveness and repentance, but I could see that it hit home.

18. Luz Maria Rodriguez says:

¡Viva Cristo Rey!

19. F.D.R. in Hell says:

20. InAz says:

Again, thank you for posting Scriptures and stories during important religious events.

21. george says:

I am a Catholic. I go to a weekly Bible study with Protestants. We are on the same side, but I honestly feel as if they think something is wrong with Catholics. In this world today, we need to unite for Christ and live for Christ rather than getting caught up in denominational disputes. I love that the CTH has the Our Father every day.

• Timmy-the-Ute says:

I’m Catholic but I was Evangelical too and still hold Evangelical views. Yes Evangelicals don’t understand Catholics, but sadly now that I expose myself to Catholics I see the same bigotry among Catholics. After all I was’t a heretic as a Evangelical. The Denominations will never feel good inter-fellowship for fear that people will not tithe to their church over some other church. Love you Evangelical friends in Christ and eventually they will see that you have the Same Spirit as they go.

22. MightyMustardSeed says:

The LORD writing in the dirt is intriguing but the passage says the accusers left in response to his writing.

Because The LORD is omniscient, could he have been writing their sins, or the names of the woman that had tempted them?

Blessed is the man who’s sins have been forgiven. The Scribes and the Pharisees had the same opportunity for forgiveness as the woman caught in her sin. Yet, in their Phariseeism, they left their encounter with the LORD, unforgiven.

23. Jeff C-C says:

Yes, yes, and yes. Thank you, MightyMustardSeed.

And then, the Scribes and Pharisees reject their opportunity for redemption and double down on their emnity for Jesus. “Who does he think he is?” Jesus answers them at the end of the chapter (John Chapter 8), by declaring, “Before Abraham came into being, I am.”

(This paragraph is written from the perspective of scribes and pharisees) Didn’t Jesus understand that THEY had all the answers? How dare he, the Messiah, come along at a time that they didn’t declare! Or in terms and conditions that they wouldn’t accept!

It is easy for us, today, to see the folly in the Scribes’ and Pharisees’ declaring themselves as God. But it is so easy to do. It is by God’s grace that I was born in a time and place when coming into the Brotherhood of Believers was an easy choice for me. And to have welcomed Jesus as my Lord, Saviour, Redeemer, and Friend.

One last thing. The Messiah is described in prophecy as both a lion and a lamb.

I think that the main reason why the Jews of Christ’s time had a hard time accepting that He was the Messiah was that they were expecting a lion of a man, yet He came as a lamb.

In our times, we know Jesus as a lamb, because that is how He walked as a person. But He is coming back, and He is coming back as the Lion. This will be shocking to those who had the opportunity to believe in Him but didn’t. But I think it will be shocking as well to many American Christians.