The Second Sunday of Lent 2019

GospelLK 9:28B-36

Jesus took Peter, John, and James
and went up the mountain to pray.
While he was praying his face changed in appearance
and his clothing became dazzling white.

And behold, two men were conversing with him, Moses and Elijah,
who appeared in glory and spoke of his exodus
that he was going to accomplish in Jerusalem.
Peter and his companions had been overcome by sleep,
but becoming fully awake,
they saw his glory and the two men standing with him.
As they were about to part from him, Peter said to Jesus,
“Master, it is good that we are here;
let us make three tents,
one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.”
But he did not know what he was saying.
While he was still speaking,
a cloud came and cast a shadow over them,
and they became frightened when they entered the cloud.
Then from the cloud came a voice that said,
“This is my chosen Son; listen to him.”
After the voice had spoken, Jesus was found alone.
They fell silent and did not at that time
tell anyone what they had seen.

This entry was posted in Christian Values, Religion, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to The Second Sunday of Lent 2019

1. William Schneider says:

May we all listen to HIm.. Praise God. Let us keep Trump in our prayers-along with AG Barr and Melania also.

2. Rynn69 says:

What an absolutely gorgeous painting. Beautiful.

3. dallasdan says:

Thank you, SD. What a beautiful and inspiring way to start this special Sunday.

4. Patrick healy says:

Lovely reminder to celebrate the second Sunday.
    Of course we should not forget my patron Saints day!
    Irish blessing.
    May the road rise to meet you
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the Sun shine warm upon your face
    And the rains fall soft upon your fields
    And until we meet again
    May God hold you
    In the palm of His hand.

From St Patrick’s breastplate.
    Happy St Patricks day president Trump and all treepers.

5. Jeff P. says:

Thanks be to God for all the wonderful blessings this nation has received of Him. Let us in turn Listen to Him and find salvation and Eternal Life!
    Thank you again Menagerie, and Happy St. Patrick’s day to all as well.

6. Thank You ALL and most Merciful Father in Heaven. By sending down to Earth Your only Begotten Son; My Dear Lord and Saviour…Jesus, You most Merciful Father have Redeemed us from Sin and Eternal Death. Jesus shed his Blood; WILLINGLY, for a Evil Sinner as I so that I wouldn’t be Lost from You. For I was once LOST but Jesus Found me in my Wretched state. NEVER once did he hesitate, he Cleaned my Face, wiped my Tears away, then he whispered in my Ear…I AM here now, You are Forgiven and Sin No more. Believe in Me, Keep My Commandments and Love thy Neighbor as Thyself.

Folks, I have seen and done way too many Sinful Deeds of which I’m very Ashamed. But not Once has Jesus forgotten me. He has carried me when I would stray, warned me when I was Sinful and has been Longsuffering with my wretchedness.

I am an Unashamed Christian, albeit not a good one, but I Thank GOD daily for Jesus; who was the Ultimate Sacrifice for ALL Sin, for his Mercy by Saving Me from sinful self.

7. Glad2Help says:

The lesson of the transfiguration is that the Lord came to fulfill the Law and the prophets. Moses who passed God’s law down to His people and Elijah the greatest of all the prophets bar none. And how did He fulfill these, by allowing all who call upon His name the opportunity to come into a relationship woth the Heavenly Father ” Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth.” John 17:3 New International Version.

8. TxMike says:

Blessed is the name of the LORD

9. Avi says:

beautiful. Id love a Tallis like that!

10. VinceWhirlwind says:

The creator of the universe tells us to listen to him, his beloved son Jesus.

Considering the state of our world, I would venture to say….very few are listening. Time for a wake-up call?

11. MightyMustardSeed says:

A ‘mountaintop experience’ of Holiness. Let us also share this GOOD NEWS with those in our world.

Jesus is the reason for our hope.

12. InAz says:

Thank you for these wonderful beautiful posts and pictures during Christmas, Easter and other important Christian religious events.

13. Newt Love says:

Thank you, Menagerie, for posting the passage.

I’m an analyst by my trade. When I analyze these scriptures, I notice that Peter John and James instantly identified Moses and Elija. How did they do that?

The Disciples did not debate and come to that conclusion. They did not have photographs or paintings to use for identification of the two who men who were there with Jesus.

They KNEW. They INSTANTLY KNEW who was there with their Savior. The analyst in me observes that this indicates a deeper spiritual meaning. Like the Disciples knew these long dead Prophets, we will all know everyone when we get to heaven.

That’s my analysis of the Transfiguration, and I’m sticking to it.

• Menagerie says:

Just as Peter knew that Jesus was the long awaited Messiah and Elizabeth recognized that Mary was the mother of her savior, the revelation is by grace and grace alone.

• Kenji says:

A very insightful observation. What it suggests to me is that we ALL know and recognize God in our hearts. Just as the Disciples instantly KNEW the Prophets, so too we will KNOW God in our own hearts and souls. If we are WITH the Lord, our eyes are opened, our brains and hearts are connected to God.

I see EVIL growing and thriving everywhere on the planet. It is time we all become more faithful, and more focused on Christ and on Godly things. Remain faithful to keep our eyes opened. So we recognize both the TRUE Prophets of God … and the False Prophets of the Great Deceiver.

• dwhitehurst says:

Total digression, but I am suspicious that Moses and Elijah, who represent the Law and the Prophets which point to Christ, were also those messengers in the empty tomb pointing to Christ, that He is risen. I’ll know for sure in Heaven, but that’s my pious speculation now.

14. James Street says:

Menagerie I love your beautiful affirmations that our fight is spiritual.
    Am I pitchin’ tents for the Lord or listening to Him?