Sunday January 6th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to Sunday January 6th – Open Thread

1. Michael Machnica says:

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

“Though a grace believer, one of my brothers recently denounced the medical profession’s ability to help those suffering from mental illness. He denounces any form of medication. He said that he believes only our beloved physician, Jesus Christ, could heal such ‘defects of the spirit.’ This man has suffered terribly all his life. Can you tell me please, is this his own belief or one that the BBS would also endorse? He will listen to you and I beg you to enlighten all of us.”

Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, Paul instructed Timothy:

“Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach’s sake and thine often infirmities” (I Tim. 5:23).

The apostle clearly wanted Timothy to use a little wine for medicinal purposes to ease the problems he was having with his stomach—and to treat his other afflictions. Paul himself was ministered to by Luke, “the beloved physician,” who attended to the apostle’s eye infirmity (II Cor. 12:7-10; Gal. 4:13-15 cf. Col. 4:14; II Tim. 4:11). We too should avail ourselves of whatever is at our disposal to address the particular health issues we are facing. God would have us to be judicious in preserving our health.

We would highly recommend that your brother seek out medical attention as soon as possible. Many times the chemical messaging of the brain is merely malfunctioning. Like diabetes, many mental disorders are often successfully treated with medication. This should be done in conjunction with the assistance of a godly pastor who can provide the needed spiritual support. The counsel of the Word of God at such times is indispensable. With God’s help, we are confident that your brother can live a productive and fruitful life for the Lord. The apostle says in II Corinthians 1:3:

“Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort.”

Surely God has been merciful in allowing medical science to understand more fully the complexities of the human body, which is a demonstration of the wonders of His handiwork. Therefore, we believe it is prudent to utilize this mercy to relieve our pain and suffering. It is indeed true that Christ is still the Great Physician; and sometimes, He does intervene to heal our infirmities (Phil. 2:27). But today in the administration of Grace, this is the exception, not the rule. More often than not, His grace is sufficient (II Cor. 12:9).

By Pastor Paul M. Sadler

1Timothy 5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach’s sake and thine often infirmities.

2Corinthians 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
    8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
    10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Galatians 4:13 Ye know how through infirmity of the flesh I preached the gospel unto you at the first.
    14 And my temptation which was in my flesh ye despised not, nor rejected; but received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus.
    15 Where is then the blessedness ye spake of? for I bear you record, that, if it had been possible, ye would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me.

Colossians 4:14 Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas, greet you.

2Timothy 4:11 Only Luke is with me. Take Mark, and bring him with thee: for he is profitable to me for the ministry.

2Corinthians 1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;

Philippians 2:27 For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow.

2Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2. citizen817 says:

NAVAJO LOOP TRAIL – BRYCE CANYON NATIONAL PARK, UTAH

• cthulhu says:

I’ve been to Bryce Canyon, and it is drop-dead gorgeous. We were doing a sub-vacay from LV and thought we’d loop around….ended up doing Bryce Canyon two days running. More spectacular than you can absorb in one day.

• olderwiser21 says:

Yup. Been there – done that! Bryce is gorgeous but now over run by Japanese and European tourists. All of Utah’s national parks are being loved to death. It makes me sad.

3. citizen817 says:

THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SUNSET I SAW IN 2018. UPPER CATHEDRAL LAKE, YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK

4. citizen817 says:

5. citizen817 says:

6. Lucille says:

F 35C FIGHTER GETTING READY TO BE DEPLOYED FROM AMERICAN SUPERCARRIERS
    Defense Updates

7. Garrison Hall says:

This song by Thomas Newman is from an excellent “small” film entitled “Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events”. Newman’s music is always moving, as this example certainly is. I’ve included a few comments people have made about about how it affected them here:

“Absolutely amazing music it has the most magical affect on the soul you feel rested like the traveler on the road possibility at the end of his journey.”
    ===
    “My sister is going off to college in the next few months. We used to sit and watch A Series of Unfortunate Events all the time. We read all the books, too. It’s a memory I will cherish forever. This song just makes me think of her. How proud I am of her, how much I love her. It’s a beautiful piece.”
    ===
    “That feeling of solidarity where you feel so alone, just you and your family in a little bubble away from the worlds problems. id be nothing without my family so lucky to have them.”
    ===
    “Sitting here imagining that I’m resting on my couch with my youngest brother in my lap, me holding tightly to him, my younger brother and sister resting their heads on my shoulders, peacfully fast asleep, with my parents arms wrapped protectively around all four of us, listening to this song, safe from the weight of the world for just a few moments, and I can’t help but feel peaceful as this music surrounds and carries me away to the world where sadness, pain, anger, and heartbreak don’t exist and only joy and laughter is allowed.”
    ===

8. Robert Smith says:

Thunderbolt P47 Pilots talk about how complete victory against Nazi Germany was attained.

• The P-47 was a monster stock of a plane that could take massive incoming and keep on flying.

• Robert Smith says:

A different age and war, but I appreciate how the pilots were able to recount the no-quarter given in their attacks while it obviously affected them.

• angellestaria6674 says:

These pilots and their crews would have matched up with the best of the best today. They were top guns in their day and would easily be today. Their devotion and diligence and tenacity was second to none.

Robert, for reasons I won’t say here, this video you posted makes me kind of teary and at times gives me chills. I am absolute old school in military diligence, integrity and tenacity. It touches a lot of deep things in my mentality about all this kind of realm.

One of the things that really bother me as I watch these videos is that there are so many young to middle-age people who have no slightest clue as to such devotion, loyalty and service to their nation. They don’t even know about stuff like this and frankly, most of them don’t care. That really troubles me. People are so caught up in cultural rot that they don’t have time to review some really great history and past accomplishments by those who fought, lived and died to help preserve our nation.

A little story. When I was an 8-9-10 year old kid living in the Garden District of New Orleans, a couple of blocks from St. Charles Street (the street car street)…I would go to the Milton Latter Library on St. Charles. {see link below for pictures} It’s still there and survived H.Katrina. It was one of those antebellum mansions that a family deeded to the city and the city made a library out of it. Charming, all the little, neat coves to sit and read…kinda like an old English pub, but with books.

My grandma got us onto good culture early, classical music, reading, etc…and oh boy did I ever read and read and read. I’d get 10 or so books and she would say, “Are you really going to read all that?”…I said yes and I did.

Well there was a copy of Jane’s book of aircraft. I swear I kept checking that book out over and over week after week. Pretty much nobody else got to check it out for quite awhile. That’s how young and how much I loved aircraft, especially WW2 fighter planes.

I do investment files for an entity I have been heavily involved with for most of my life. Estates, aircraft, yachts, etc. Some years ago, I came across a beautiful P-51 Mustang in museum quality and perfect flying condition. It was a little over $4M. When I come across an item of interest, I build a digital file of specs, pics, condition, history, location and cost. I think Controller was the site I found it on. I use Controller and GlobalAir the most when looking for aircraft. I also built a file on a P-38, a very rare bird that hardly ever comes up for sale. And F-4 Corsair and yes, a P-47 Thunderbolt in pretty good condition. There was actually a Mig 29 Fulcrum for $4M about 3-4 years ago, Great condition and certified to fly anywhere in the US. I told them that I thought $4M was a steal for a rather modern jet fighter that some countries are still using in their air forces. Also have done WW1 aircraft. I’ve not found a Sopwith Camel yet. (Too bad for Snoopy! lol) This is one of the aspects of work I dearly love. And one more thing, I have this running joke with friends about having a mistress of deep love, a lady in black…if you guessed SR-71 Blackbird, go to the head of the class. Ole Habu…incoming SAM, so pilots say, speed up and go higher. It was that fast and could fly 80,000+ feet altitude. It could simply outperform the SAM.

Okay, enough of all that…your video got a lot of thought and memories stirred.

But anyway, thank you so much for posting this video.

Btw, Angelle is a pen name I have written under for many years. Some here and elsewhere often mistake me for a female, but I assure you, no gender confusion with me. I’m as male as it gets!

Good day and blessings,
          A

9. Timmy-the-Ute says:

Does anyone else chalk their Door frames for Epiphany? 20+C+M+B+19

10. Sherri Young says:

Please pray for this man. When he was a boy, his father died suddenly of an aneurysm. A few years ago, he found he too had an aneurysm and a genetic collagen defect was the cause. Now he has two aneurysms and a mass on one of his kidneys. Surgery is this week.

He is a messianic rabbi in Macon, Georgia. This message is a faith builder.

11. Lucille says:

GEOLOGISTS FIND EVIDENCE OF QUAKE DOCUMENTED BY PROPHET AMOS
    Bible says it ripped apart Solomon’s Temple, described in detail by Josephus…

12. Lucille says:

Mt. Etna Actually Moved During Short But Intense Eruption
    weather.com
    Italy’s Mount Etna moved more than a foot

13. tamnbud1 says:

Remember the 7-year-old girl who was shot in a car with her family in Houston and they had a composite sketch of a white guy? Turns out that it was 2-black guys and they have been arrested.

• I watched the press conference with the Mohammed guy holding up a sketch of a white man. I wonder if possibly the mother knew who it was and was trying to deflect. Why would she be driving her young children around for coffee at 5:00 am in the morning? Appears the MEN in the truck were shooting specifically at her, there was a lot of shooting going on….”As I turned around and looked back at the street, I heard shots start firing and they came through my window, broke my glass, and hit me in my arm. They sped off in front of us and the truck slowed down and continued to fire as he was in front of us. It was not fair. It was not fair. He intentionally killed my child for no reason. He didn’t even know her, he didn’t know who she was.” https://abc13.com/mom-says-daughters-killing-near-walmart-random-and-intentional/4996175/

• auscitizenmom says:

Figures. {spit}

14. seabrznsun says:

Today the Church celebrates the Solemnity of the Epiphany. “The Lord and ruler is coming; kingship is his, and government and power.” With these words the Church proclaims that today’s feast brings to a perfect fulfillment all the purposes of Advent. Epiphany, therefore, marks the liturgical zenith of the Advent-Christmas season. — Pius Parsch

May the splendor of your majesty, O Lord, we pray, shed its light upon our hearts, that we may pass through the shadows of this world and reach the brightness of our eternal home. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen

15. MAGAbear says:

Sadly, and due to incompetent IIHF referees disallowing a totally legal goal, USA lost 3-2 to Finland in the WJC gold medal game. Our boys deserved a better fate. I haz a sad. 😦

The look on Team USA’s coach’ face when listening to the convoluted explanation of why the goal was disallowed is priceless. Wish I could find a video to post. Kind of the look you would have listening to Ocasio-Cortez explain her economic proposals.

16. Pointman says:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A major, K.622 (Arngunnur Árnadóttir, clarinet)

Pointman

17. Dora says:

Henry Tanner – ‘ Mary’ 1910

18. Fannie says:

Even if you attended church your whole life you may not have been taught biblical prophecy or know that satan exists. Here is a sermon that stands alone as the best teaching I have ever heard on what God is doing with the church, Israel and satan. I offer this to my fellow Treepers who may be homebound like me or left the church and can’t find one. God bless.

19. Dora says:

I love history. Especially Long Island history.

===

The last days: Theodore Roosevelt’s death and burial 100 years ago on LI

The news on Jan. 6, 1919, reverberated around the world because TR still was the most well-known and popular man on the planet a decade after his presidency.

20. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.”
    Matthew 7:15 (KJV)

21. Dora says:

We have to watch out for these kinds of groups. They pretend to be religious, but they are devious!

====

ATTACKED FROM WITHIN: NETWORK NUNS VS. CHURCH

Nuns on the Bus received funding from the far-left Center for American Progress affiliated with billionaire George Soros.

22. wtd says:

Coptic Christians are the native Egyptians. Their religion and culture are being annihilated. All Christians everywhere should weep with them the tears of jihad.

****
    Years ago, I viewed a video interview of a Coptic Egyptian Bishop in which he explained the origins of the identity “Coptic Christians”. The link to that particular video is no longer available online, however, since I did transcribe the original video, I retained his identity and located another video with similar discussion at the Hudson Institute was still available online:

His Grace, Bishop Thomas of the El-Qussia and Mair Diocese in Upper Egypt explains:

““The word “Copts” doesn’t ring a big bell for many ears. Sometimes [people here] don’t know what are Copts, who are they, and why they are called Copts. That’s why I felt that it is worth it to start by explaining why we are called Copts and the explanation might tell you a little bit of the dilemma we have.
    Egypt has been always Aigyptos and everybody knew Egypt as Aigyptos. In the 7th Century there was a shift in the name and the country. When the Arabs came to Egypt, or, rather, invaded Egypt, they could not pronounce Aigyptos because of the linguistic differences. They pronounced it Gypt; so they took away the “Ai” and the “os.” So Aigyptos became Gypt, and, when they wrote it, they wrote it with a “Ka” so it became “Copt.” The whole country was that of the Copts.
    But gradually, for various reasons, whether because of taxation or pressure of some kind, or ambitions in dealing with the leaders or the governors of the country, some people converted. Those who converted were no longer Copts. They became something else, and those who remained Christians were the ones who were called “the Copts.”
    Here I will stop and pose a question: What makes a person change the identity of his own nation and shift the focus of his identity from Egypt to become “the Arabs” even though ethnically they are the same persons? They are the same people, but no longer “Copts.” That’s a big question mark and that’s a big reason for what is happening now. The Copts have been always focused on Egypt; it’s our identity, it’s our nation, it’s our land, it’s our language, it’s our culture. But when some of the Egyptians converted to Islam, their focus changed away from looking to their own [language and culture]. They started to look to the Arabian, and Arabia became the main focus. Instead of looking to where they are, they start to look elsewhere. So the focus here has changed and they will never be called any more “Copts.” That’s a big shift and this is actually a very important reason for what is happening now.”

******
    More:

What Is Coptic?
    The Coptic language developed around 300 C.E. in Egypt. It is Egyptian language written using the Greek alphabet, as well as a couple of Demotic signs. This script was much easier to learn than the earlier writing systems used in ancient Egypt: hieroglyphic, hieratic and demotic scripts.

Coptic was the lingua franca of Egypt when Egypt was predominantly Christian. Many assume that the Coptic language was developed primarily to spread Christianity, but Depuydt disagrees. He supports the great Belgian Coptologist Louis Théophile Lefort’s theory that the Coptic language was created by another group—the Jews.

23. duchess01 says:

Homosexuality is to blame for sexual abuse, not Catholic church, claims German cardinal

• covfefe999 says:

But it’s not just homosexuality. These guys seems to like KIDS, not adult males. There are hetero pedphiles too. I think the Church atmosphere of being so male-heavy drew in and enabled the homosexual pedophiles. There were able to operate freely and were rarely punished when caught. A lot of dysfunction there.

• duchess01 says:

Sadly, I agree, covfefe – it is my understanding these male role models were supposed to encourage young men to enter into the ministry – unfortunately, they took advantage of them in nefarious ways –

Luke 17:2
        “It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.”

King James Version (KJV)

24. getfitnow says:

Hubris can kill.

FTA : This year marks the 20th anniversary of John F. Kennedy Jr.’s fatal flight. Three days in and already the hagiographic retellings have begun.

“The Last Days of JFK Jr.,” a two-hour special promising new details and new interviews under the ABC News banner, aired Thursday night. Not only did the program soft-pedal Kennedy’s complete and utter fault for the crash but it got crucial details wrong — claiming that the FAA said flying conditions that night were “excellent” (according to the National Transportation Safety Board review of the crash, they were extremely poor, and JFK Jr. would have known it), and that his flight instructor was unavailable that night to fly with him. In fact, the NTSB report said one of Kennedy’s instructors did offer to fly with him, but Kennedy said no, that “he wanted to do it alone.”

25. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

26. Jan Arp, “Torso With Buds”, bronze, 1961. Nasher Sculpture Center, Dallas, TX

27. Dora says:

28. Dora says:

I’m so sick of this anti-white nonsense.

====

White children are everywhere, but their whiteness is too often invisible and unspoken.

• Attention Non-Deplorables: “If you don’t like the color of my skin – MOVE. I live here; I am a senior citizen; I pay taxes; I am an American citizen; I served in OUR Army and I willingly recite the Pledge of Allegiance. I know which bathroom to use and why; I stand for OUR national flag and believe I have earned the right to disparage those who don’t. This sandbox belongs to all the people of the USA who want to be part of our great country. If you don’t want to play nice, I suggest you find a different place to play – before you get sand kicked in your face. I don’t give a rat’s rectum about your political correctness, sexual preference, hurt feelings, claims of racial inequality, environmental concerns or fetish for small farm animals. Don’t push your personal agendas on me or I will retaliate. Screw you.” Damn – I feel a lot better!

29. Lucille says:

Dualism – Why is Islam Puzzling?
    Political Islam – Dr. Bill Warner

30. Dora says:

He is enjoying his wealth. What would Grandpa think?

====

Rich kid of Communism: Fidel Castro’s model grandson flashes his wealth and love of the high life on Instagram as he travels the world

Tony Castro flashed his family’s wealth with a bevy of photos on social media

South Florida-based media outlets covering the Cuban community revealed the images this week before the island’s 60th anniversary of the Cuban Revolution

Castro shared pictures of his trips to Barcelona and Spain, and also Mexico, which he visited twice in 2018 during consecutive months

31. Sepp says:

American (and North American) history is rich, varied, and fascinating. Each hamlet, township, city, county, parish, and state has their stories to tell.

Some people in parts of the USA recall today as being known as Old Christmas.

Barry McCain is a blogger at McCain’s Corner who shares “Commentary on Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Southern, history, families, [etc.]” and he wrote an entry in 2018 on Old Christmas.

The Dictionary of American Regional English has a very interesting page on the term Old Christmas. (I had to look at the page a few times before understanding why the type looks the way it does.)

32. Sepp says:

The Feast of the Nativity of the Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ

Saint Gregory of Nyssa, Homily on the Nativity of Christ

“That which was then prefigured in the flame and the bush was, with the passage of intervening time, clearly revealed in the mystery of the Virgin. For, just as there was a bush there, and the fire touched it and burned it not, so here, too, there is a Virgin, who gives birth to the Light and suffers no corruption.”

33. duchess01 says:

#Orthodox #Christmas #Moscow
    Orthodox Christmas mass in Moscow

34. covfefe999 says:

I just found this “fluff” twitter account and it’s full of photos and videos of cute fluffy animals. https://twitter.com/fluff

35. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

36. auscitizenmom says:

A prayer for Justice Kavanaugh and Col. Flynn:

Prayer to St. Michael

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
    be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do you, O prince of the heavenly host,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan and the other evil spirits
    who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.