Anticipation…

The Secret Sam was my favorite Christmas present as a child. I still have it, and I will keep it, or perhaps pass it on to a grandchild. Oh, how I was excited and hoping the year I asked for my own Secret Sam.

That was my spy year, my year of intrepid adventures around the neighborhood. It was one of my last Christmases as a child, I think, wanting toys and dreaming of adventures. Not too many years later, perhaps even the next one, my Christmas gifts would be stereos and albums, bell bottom jeans and paisley print turtlenecks.

Perhaps that is why the memory of it is such a treasure to me.

This year my grandchildren will be blessed with the breathless anticipation of what might be under the tree Christmas morning. They will be late to bed, too excited to sleep easily, and early to rise, rushing to the living room in all the excitement and wonder a child can have.

They are being taught the real reason for Christmas, and they will have opened the last flap on the Advent calendar the day before, they will place Jesus in the manger on Christmas morning, and some of them will have caught snippets of the Christmas story, perhaps even at Midnight Mass, but most are still too young to really understand the Biblical readings.

They have a book here at my house that unfolds into the journey to Bethlehem, and all the figures are there to travel or meet Mary and Joseph along the way. We read stories, we sing songs, we watch videos.

Together we have baked cookies and breads and made treats, and we have given them away. One granddaughter talks about Jesus and Mary and Joseph as if she is speaking of beloved family members who have gone on an exciting trip.

I want to help nurture faith, hope, and love, generosity, joy, as well as create memories and enjoy the anticipation. I want to see Christmas through the eyes of happy children who see so clearly the joy, the promise, and the simpleness of it all.

Most of all, I want to share the feelings, the very same feelings of a child who exclaims “I love Jesus!” and means it with all their heart.

May your Christmas Eve be blessed with warmth and hope and family and stockings that will soon be full, a house filled with scents of the season, and the anticipation of the birth of our Savior.

I pray for those who can’t be home, especially our service men and women, all those who work to keep us safe and healthy, and those who just can’t be home with loved ones. I pray for those who are alone in the world, for children who won’t have a joyful and warm and safe Christmas.

I pray for the world to share the joy and peace of the season. God bless us every one.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

111 Responses to Anticipation…

1. tuskyou says:

Thx for posting this. I’ve never heard of Secret Sam. My sig other is 10 yrs older than me and he lit up like a Christmas tree when I showed him your post! 🎄 Merry Christmas 🎄

2. Deplorable_Vespucciland says:

O come let us adore Him . . .

3. stevepadgett2155 says:

All the toy gun pictures this year reminded me of my favorite childhood toy gun. It was a chrome plated all steel 1911 cap gun. It was deadly accurate and won all the neighborhood gunfights.
    We have the family together.

A few years ago, we moved from Michigan to Maryland for work. In the ensuing years, the kids all moved out, two back to Michigan.

At 10:30 Friday night, the car was packed for a 7am departure of my wife, two adult children and I. As a joke I said, “Why don’t we just leave right now?” We were on the road by 10:45 for a 700 mile overnight road trip.

Christmas eve was punctuated with our traditional pizza dinner. Three of the kids are downstairs talking, the fourth returned to her apartment an hour ago. My wife and her mom are watching TV. I’m doing some work for a volunteer project and took a few minutes to check the latest CTH stuff.

It’s a great day as we anticipate tomorrow celebration of the birth of Jesus and hanging with family.

Merry Christmas everyone

• J Gottfred says:

“Why don’t we just leave right now?” We were on the road by 10:45 for a 700 mile overnight road trip.”

Safe travels to you and yours. God Bless!

• Veritas says:

Thanks. Safe so far but had a bit of a glitch. My son borrowed one of my cars six months ago. We were planning to bring it home with us along with the one we drove out. I had him buy new tires then I took it for a ride. The car only has 292,000 miles and the clutch is slipping badly. Guess we’re not going to bring it home with us after all. A friend of theirs just blew his transmission and may buy it for $500 to drive until he gets his car fixed then resell it or scrap it. My daughter has the same model of car, so we just gave her a new set of free tires.

4. davidsstones says:

You ARE Secret Sam, Sundance.

5. J Gottfred says:

Menagerie, what a delightful thread. How woefully I am prepared to carry your torch, but how thankful I am for your presence and peace of mind to remind us of our past. It gives me optimism for the turbulent time ahead. May God bless you and your family.

I look forward to 2019 with your optimism and Trump’s leadership! I am so up to the fight! We ARE on the right side!

6. Newton Love says:

Sundance, I loved the post. I cried, too, because one year in my youth, I received the same gift. We must be nearly the same age.

That said, your beautiful and poignant post was, none the less, a tiny bit of personally identifiable information (that may be applied to discover your well protected true identity.

Be careful, because our enemies are saturated in Alyski Rule #13: “Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.”

They must never know who you are.

I hold a high clearance, and there are things that I have signed non-disclosure agreements promising that the information I know, will not be disclosed for at least 70 years after my death.

Your true identity is just as important to protect.
    Love you, Brother! Stay safe!

• Newton Love says:

My bad, the post is by Menagerie.
      But what I posted is applicable to all who work with Sundance on the CTR web blog. If our enemies discover a name, they will hound it like Cerberus, the hound of hell.

7. skifflegirl says:

My older brother and I used toy brooms for guns when we played Army. Not that Mom had anything against them but money was tight after my Dad passed. Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Mission Impossible were popular but what I wanted for Christmas wasn’t from those tv shows. What a thrill it was when I woke up one Christmas morning in the mid 60’s to a pair of what I called ‘Honey West spy boots.’ They were black suede booties with a little snap closure pocket on the outer ankles (presumably to hold miniature spy equipment or maybe a little poison?). I loved Anne Francis in that show and I was in heaven. Now I could save the world from those terrible Soviet spies lol.