Report: William P Barr Possible Lead Candidate for U.S. Attorney General….

According to a report in the Washington Post William P Barr is the leading candidate to replace Jeff Sessions as U.S. Attorney General.   Barr previously served as AG under George HW Bush.  The other possible candidate is Rep. John Ratcliffe from Texas.

(Washington Post) Former attorney general William P. Barr is President Trump’s leading candidate to be nominated to lead the Justice Department — a choice that could be made in coming days as the agency presses forward with a probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election, according to multiple people familiar with the deliberations.

Barr, 68, a well-respected Republican lawyer who served as attorney general from 1991 to 1993 under President George H.W. Bush, has emerged as a favorite candidate of a number of Trump administration officials, including senior lawyers in the White House Counsel’s Office, these people said. Two people familiar with the discussions said the president has told advisers in recent days that he plans to nominate Barr.

One person familiar with the discussions cautioned that while Barr is the leading candidate, the decision is not final and the president could decide to pick someone else.  (read more)

This entry was posted in AG Jeff Sessions, Dept Of Justice, FBI, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

388 Responses to Report: William P Barr Possible Lead Candidate for U.S. Attorney General….

• Drogers says:

Same here.

Just have to trust it’s not a case of someone pi*’ing down our leg while telling us it’s raining.

• Teddy Blanchard says:

I assume this is misdirection on POTUS. If he actually hires a bush bum boy I have to question if Trump has been compromised. Is he trying to add to his list of bad hires. Sessions 2.0. C’mon man!!!!

• steph_gray says:

“I have to question if Trump has been compromised.”

I have no such question, and it’s President Trump.

Pre-bashing again, on insufficient evidence. 🙄

• Aeyrie says:

I’m with you and Suspicious Cat! There’s another one with that creepy “psychopathic smile”.

• kiskiminetas says:

Swampy for sure and most likely to do nothing in reference to Crossfire Hurricane and other swampy things.

• USTerminator says:

Very swampy. Leave anyone in the former Bush/Bush administration out, especially for AG. Let go for the real AG swam-slayer and let the chip fall where it is.

• Diana Allocco says:

I pray it’s John Ratcliffe.

• stephenbaze says:

The Bush connection concerns me greatly. And there are many good people out there for DJT to choose from. He is dragging his feet and should have already picked someone, probably because he gets a lot of bad info from his many advisers who are mostly lawyers and in my view the scum of the earth ?

I look at DC and every state capitol and it is clear to me who the bad guys really are, both red and blue. Look at DOJ , FBI, CIA, and IRS as well and how many are lawyers at the top of the pile ? and how many are decent, moral and ethical people ?

The problem in a nutshell as I see it.

By the way another good synopsis from treehouse. Now we need to start in on solutions and begin to get away from the complexities of the minutia and many crimes we are all well aware of ? There were so many crimes in the 3 years leading up to the 2016 election it is bogging down most brains. The simple fact is many crimes were committed by the BHO regime. and the bureaucracy is out of control. Some of it goes back before the Mueller sham was created, like the Uranium One sham. All need to be held accountable now, simple as that ! We must demand this because the lawyers will not, that should be clear. And yes I realize they are not 100% scum, just about 75%. Close enough for me to make a decision.

1. NJF says:

Why suspicious cat?

• GrandpaM says:

Because it’s the Wash. Compost…

• Because ANYONE WAPO wants, we the people definitely do NOT want. If they like him, he will be WORSE than Sessions, probably someone like Comey. More disinfo. That’s why we need a counter, to blunt this crap. Remember WAPO is an “arm” of the CIA. Also WAPO is owned be Bezos, someone who definitely is NOT MAGA. I hope it is Joe Digenova, just to watch Cabal heads explode.

• chojun says:

Joe DiGenova would take a hatchet to the corruption at the DOJ. He’d massacre it, and he’d be great.

The problem is that the AG nominee has to clear the senate. Trump has choppy waters to navigate. Fortunately though I feel that whoever Trump picks, as long as they’re not unqualified and not too far outside the mainstream will be able to be confirmed in the Senate, especially since jerks like Jeff Flake are gone.

The same Jeff Flake who is adamant that Mueller be protected.

The same Jeff Flake who is up to his eyeballs in funny business in Africa involving Uranium.

• California Joe says:

He could appoint Joe D as acting Attorney General for seven months then reappoint him for another seven months.

• stephenbaze says:

Yes he could do that and never need congress ! That is how Obama rolled as well in many matters and I started mentioning this about 6 months ago waiting for Sessions to get bounced.

Just stop and ponder how much grief Sessions caused DJT and the nation ? Mind boggling actually. A pathetic man and fool as i see it.

• Jues says:

Let’s hope so…..

Ben Sasse is the new Jeff Flake
          Susan Collins is still there
          Lisa Murkowski is still there
          Mitt Romney is the new John McCain.

There are others, but there are 4 you can bet your bottom dollar will be obstructing the President’s agenda in the next two years…

I suspect Sasse will be the star of many of Trump’s tweets over the next two years and will be run out of the Senate the same way Flake was.

The silly thing about Sasse is, he tends to vote the right way but he obstructs the Trump agenda by endlessly giving the media anti-Trump soundbites!! Just like Flake!!!

• NJF says:

Ok now I get it. Thank you both.

• fleporeblog says:

From the article linked above:

Administration officials expect Barr’s nomination would be received positively by Republicans who respect his experience and Democrats who would likely view him as an old-school GOP lawyer with no particular personal loyalty to the president.

At that time, Mueller led the department’s criminal division, reporting directly to Barr. The two worked together on the multiyear investigation into the 1988 terrorist bombing of Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland.

• WSB says:

Weather balloon by WaPo more than likely…suspicious.

• Renee H says:

Why Suspicious Cat? Because SC knows that, despite all the out of this world fairy tales we heard at yesterday’s funeral, having worked for the CIA and for GHWB, etc. is NOT a positive qualification for serving our American Republic, as it was founded! Also — “interesting” timing of this leak — the day after the funeral when we are all supposed to be in an emotional state after having fallen for the GHWB character fairy tales. The deep state critters truly think the American people are dumber than a box of rocks. Geez.

2. Johnny Bravo says:

Oh oh, suspicious cat appears again!

3. osugagal says:

The difference between President Trump and previous presidents is that President Trump did not arrive with a large cadre of political operatives and supporters to whom he owed jobs. He also did not have the political connections that other presidents have had. While that was a very good thing, it does make filling positions more difficult. He has to depend upon his staff (some of whom are still swampy) to make recommendations. I am leary of a former Bush official in the position but I do not know enough about him to make an informed opinion yet.

• Teddy Blanchard says:

Guiliani ran a 400 person law firm and was a prosecutor. Plenty of good people but he made bad hires.

• Jues says:

Obama didn’t have much of a crew either.

You know who picked his cabinet? The Clintons & Goldman Sachs.

At least the Clinton part was payback from “stealing” the nomination from her.

4. f.fernandez says:

If Washington Post is saying it, there’s ZERO chance of it being valid.

5. Madmax110 says:

Well respected. No thanks. Just another Swampling.

6. The cat scares me……

• steph_gray says:

I love that cat!

• calbear84 says:

Suspicious Cat’s breed is American Shorthair, one of which I have “owned” for many years. These animals are very intelligent and completely tuned in to everything around them. If Suspicious Cat gets suspicious, I would take it to the bank!

7. Bullseye says:

Let the attacks on Mr. Barr commence! No idea why they let this info out. Hope he’s strong and up for a fight

• trapper says:

Really? No idea? How about this: “You want Barr? OK. Let’s try it out. Leak it.”

The Washington elite waggle their pinkies in the air as they nod their approval over their tea. Meanwhile, the Trump deplorables outside the gates revolt and begin burning cars at the word they will be getting another card-carrying swampite to protect, defend, and whitewash the corruption in the DOJ/FBI, instead of a sharp-fanged alley cat to tear apart the canary cage, which is what they have been demanding.

How’s that?

• Max Tadpol says:

“No idea why they let this info out.”

Red Herring I would guess.

8. Johnny Bravo says:

Is someone leaking info, if so, is the leak real, but the facts false? Dunno 🤷‍♂️

• Blind no longer says:

It’s probably Kelly Anne Conway’s stupid ass husband leaking it out in the hopes he can influence the GOPe to pressure PDJT!!! Just appoint Joe DiGenova…he’s the only one I really trust!

9. Anonymous says:

He seems familiar… especially this time of year.

10. stymietime says:

It’s a Devlin Barrett story… I’ll wait until Trump announces it

11. Evelyn says:

A reliable news source, that Washington Compost. I wonder if anyone keeps tabs on how many of Bezos’ stories are obvious, politically-motivated bold faced lies. The percentage must be quite high.

12. Von Henry says:

Fine and all, but why should I be excited?

Serious question.

13. booger71 says:

The Washington Compost describes Barr as a “well respected Republican” and Ratcliffe as a “conservative”. Barr’s daughter works for the DOJ also……hmmmm. Which one would the suspicious cat choose?

14. CN says:

Sounds like another useless choice. I hope the story is false.

15. Anne says:

16. Gabriel says:

please chose Mr Joe diGenova!!

17. Matt Hay says:

Well, we know who Deep State’s pick is. I like Ratcliffe but AG DiGenova and DAG Powell have better rings. Trump needs door kickers and skull crushers who are will to burn DOJ down to the ground if they determine it can’t be salvaged. Sometimes amputation is the best medicine.

18. trapper says:

I am still holding out for the Rosenstein anagram.

19. Tellthewholetruth says:

Read this news earlier today and kept thinking I needed to get to the treehouse and see if Sundance has commented on this individual. Just opened and there is the suspicious cat….cracked me up. I realize this is very serious, and hope there will be more on why the cat? It could have been an alligator in a swamp…..

20. PatriotKate says:

Barr worked for the CIA in the 1970s and then GHW as AG. Both disqualifying IMO.

21. L4grasshopper says:

The next AG, whomever he or she is, needs to be a vigorous advocate for cleaning up the DOJ and FBI.

My spider sense tells me that Barr would not be the guy. He has a real “Christopher Wray” aura about him.

22. Part of me thinks President Trump did this purposely to see if the Cabal and their media puppets will start bashing George’s guy right on the heels of his funeral.
    😉

23. Grassleysgirl/Breitbartista says:

Barr HODAR!!

24. MaineCoon says:

“Bill was Of Counsel at Kirkland in 2009 and rejoined the Firm in 2017. Bill attended Columbia University where he received his A.B. in government in 1971 and his M.A. in government and Chinese studies in 1973. He served in the Central Intelligence Agency from 1973 to 1977.”

25. wtd says:

Hey @realDonaldTrump –> William Safire called William Barr the “Coverup General.” Not the right man to drain the Swamp. #AmericanBetrayal #MAGA

26. wtd says:

That’s it. Deep State Uber Alles.

27. 🍺Gunny66 says:

First: Do not believe anyone from the President’s team leaked this. He surely understands, and would keep his cards close to the vest on this.

Second: How long do you think the President has been calculating who the next AG should be? This is not an AG he needs.

Third: Do they still think the President is in mourning and would nominate a Bush guy?
    Gimme a break.

Finally……The President has to nominate someone who will clean up this mess, kick over some tables, throw Mueller out, and go after these crooks.

This guy is like watching paint dry.

Until we hear it from the President, I am not getting too excited about this.
    It’s a yawner…

• Jues says:

How long was he calculating who to choose for AG & DAG in the first place?

Two of the most important positions in his Administration (if he really wants to Drain the Swamp) – and he chooses the feckless Sessions and the sniper Rosenstein? And takes Rosenstein’s recommendation to fire Comey and hire Wray to replace him?

Strange strange decisions. Inexplicable really.

Didn’t he notice JFK chose RFK for AG? Wonder why…..

28. Grassleysgirl/Breitbartista says:

The “future is female” says some.
    Sidney Powell.🔨❤

29. CanaCon says:

I hope he can find someone who has not worked with Mueller, Rosenstein or any other of the other long-term swamp creatures. Anyone else, like this Mr. Barr, can most likely be compromised regardless of their intentions.

30. Peter Rabbit says:

Believe POTUS too smart to fall for this trap. God help us if I am wrong. Senate confirmation easier in January. Rep number is 53 then and Flake and Corker gone for good. Hallelujah.

Merry Christmas one and all. Peter Rabbit

• Barnestormer says:

Yes, by all means wait for the next (Flakeless. Harrisless?) Senate Judiciary Committee for confirmation . But additionally I’d consider holding off until after the Mueller report is submitted and revealed.

Let that predictable flash point and dimensions of the fire occur before sizing up the requisite characteristics of the new AG. PDT can ill afford another mistake at that position with the Schiff/Nadler/Waters thugs wating in the wings and the swamp barely evaporating, let alone draining. PDT needs an AG the swamp will fear, not applaud.

31. Akindole says:

Someone we admire just galactically trolled the Post.

• G3 says:

Why did his stint as AG end and Janet Reno begin?

• railer says:

“galactically trolled”

Heh, nice.

They leaked that Trump’s White House counsel is pushing for this guy, which means McGahn, who is leaving. I doubt Trump has shared his strategic plans with a guy who’s leaving, and I also doubt that Trump is going to upset the apple cart so soon after installing Whitaker. He may give it several months even before announcing his final plan. I’d wait until after Mueller delivers his final report, for sure.

Trump has to pick somebody the Swamp approves of, which means we won’t get to see the hundreds of public hangings we’d get with a proper AG, but I think this report is Bezos Post fake news.

32. Paco Loco says:

Joe D for AG. A honest man who knows where all the bodies are buried!

33. jengancworld says:

I’d like to say one step forward ,two steps back, but other than the election of our great President Trump, I haven’t seen a step forward!!

34. Brian Backes says:

Why not choose a highly competent outsider? Say, a non-ivy league educated midwesterner with a strong love for our constution. Someone relatively untouched by east coast darkness. A Constitutionalist Wolverine!

35. southernmom19 says:

Next.

36. Jane says:

My cynical first thought went to it maybe being part of a deal – don’t bash me anymore especially during Pres Bush funeral week, and I’ll pay you back with a nice AG pick for your longtime pal. Sorry, that sounds harsher than I mean it to- I’m actually a Forever Trumper. 🙂

37. Bendix says:

“the president could decide to pick someone else”…

38. JAS says:

Too Old. Too Blue….

39. Timothy Tarr says:

Consider this:
    There are two SCOTUS Justices due to retire/expire. Justices Ginsburg and Breyer. If either “go” that allows for Justice Thomas to retire and another two “young” nominations. Still leaving a 4-3 majority while Senate diddles.

Thomas has been Senate Confirmed, only higher position for a nomination is Cheif Justice. Oh, what a great recess appointment Thomas would make for AG.

40. King Arthur says:

I give up. Damn, either drain it or let us deal with it as the Founders suggested.

41. mr.piddles says:

I don’t have a good feeling about this. If this goes down, I might lose my morning Pop Tarts.

This has Serious Swamp written all over it. Whenever I see “a number of Trump administration officials” and “senior lawyers in the White House Counsel’s Office” I get nervous. Haven’t been blown out of the water with either of those two, TBH. ‘Course, whaddaiknow. I’m just a guy with a job and a laptop computer.

42. Landslide says:

John Ratcliffe—-need to research.

How many times have we seen POTUS let a RINO/swamp be floated, media and citizens go crazy, all kinds of motives are revealed, then he chooses who he wanted all along?

43. lurker2 says:

If this guy isn’t a pit bull then please no. We need a pit bull.

44. MIKE says:

Same ol’ resume/career track. Attended globo University(Colombia; even the school’s name is a globalist buzzword or buzznoun), stints in cia and AG for the drug runner; then leave swamp politics for lucrative private industry consultant gig with aforementioned credentials.
    No thank you. Who else you got?
    Also, to mimic sundance, why did WAPO leak this info?
    This stinks to high heaven.

45. Stab, the unstoppable hero says:

If Barr winds up being the Presidents pick then it is a pretty solid bet that there will be “negotiation” with the corrupt Senate instead of swamp draining. I have long speculated that PDT has to negotiate constantly with McConnell in order to move his MAGA agenda forward.

Most of the current (& soon-to-be) Senators are probably willing to let PDT improve the economy because they will also benefit. Better to rob a wealthy fool then a poor one.

When it comes to equal justice tho… forget it. the Senate has to receive protection from the FBI / DOJ. That’s their job. It’s so obvious by now that it’s not even really debatable anymore imo.

They must have informed PDT (via some not-so-subtle hints) that his family – along with the economy – would be greatly harmed if he really tried to destroy the political structure we are living under right now.

Hey… Maybe France might wind up showing us how to behave for a change.

• railer says:

Well, sadly, that is what I’ve thought for quite some time, that Trump would have to make a settlement with these Swamp creatures at some point, one in which none of them would go to jail or to the gallows.

It’s too early for him to be making that decision though. Let Mueller go away first, let Trump get some blackmail cooking on a few of these monsters, and then make the settlement from a position of strength.

• Stab, the unstoppable hero says:

Sorry railer. I’m betting the farm that Mueller will NEVER go away. all those mysterious redactions regarding General Flynn prove that imo. Mueller is working for the Senate as much as any other political entity in the swamp.

I think PDT has been informed that firing Mueller is akin to the attack on Fort Sumter.

• Jues says:

McConnell is under threat of a MAGA Primary challenge.

Trump should be able to force McConnell to do exactly what he wants this session with threatening to support a MAGA candidate in Kentucky to unseat McConnell.

Trump should play hardball with McConnell.

46. Maybe they (WAPO controllers) threw this out there, following with the usual suspects saluting him (Barr) as the ideal and “reasonable” pick so that whomever VSGPDT ultimately choses will be “too this” or “too that” or “unconfirmable” Seems like a disruption tactic…..

47. spren says:

Why is it that only President Trump is supposed to select people who aren’t loyal to him while every other president is expected to select people who will be their “wingman?” Funny how that works.

• lurker2 says:

I know. It’s totally hypocritical. Reminds me of John Roberts’ ridiculous statment about judges not being partisan.

• Mike says:

Exactly!

JFK hires his brother, Obama gets his “wingman” who “has the president’s back” yet Trump is HAS to pick someone who is “bipartisan.” F**K THAT!

Laura Ingraham probably likes Barr because they were pals or something back when she clerked for justice Thomas. Christie has the bridge baggage.

We need an AG with NO DC/NY connections, who is currently or recently in the DOJ, so they are familiar with who the rats are, AND they need to be FEARLESS and COMPETENT.

Whitaker could be the guy, otherwise I would go with Ratcliffe.

48. Jedi9 says: