Superpicker – RIP Roy Clark 1933 – 2018

Roy Clark, the legendary guitarist, singer, and co-host of the show “Hee Haw” on television died Thursday due to complications from pneumonia.  He was 85.  Arguably Roy Clark was the greatest electric guitar and banjo picker ever.

A legend and member of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Grand Ole Opry, Clark is survived by his wife of 61 years Barbara.

This entry was posted in Heros, Hollywood, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

107 Responses to Superpicker – RIP Roy Clark 1933 – 2018

1. mashall says:

Roy Clark’s version was Huge to me!

Green, Green, Grass of Home.
    written by Claude “Curly” Putman, Jr

The old home town looks the same
    As I step down from the train
    And there to meet me is my mama and my papa
    Down the road I look and there runs Mary
    Hair of gold and the lips like cherries
    It’s good to touch the green, green grass of home
    Yes, they’ll all come to meet me
    Arms reachin’, smiling sweetly
    Oh, it’s good to touch the green, green grass of home

The old house is still standing
    Though the paint is cracked and dry
    And there’s that old oak tree that I used to play on
    Yeah, down the lane I’ll walk with my sweet Mary
    Hair of gold and the lips like cherries
    It’s good to touch the green, green grass of home
    Yes, they’ll all come to meet me
    Arms reachin’, smiling sweetly
    Oh, it’s good to touch the green, green grass of home

Then I awake and look around me
    At four gray walls that surround me
    And I realize I was only dreamin’
    There’s a guard and there’s a sad old padre
    Arm and arm we’ll walk at daybreak again
    I’ll touch the green, green grass of home
    Yes, they’ll all come to see me
    In the shade of that old tree
    As I lay me in the green, green grass of home.

RIP ROY!
    GODSPEED!

• frankie says:

Johnny Cash’s version was best.

Tom Jones’ version wasn’t half-bad either.

That’s a song that’s singerproof.

Unless you are Miley VIrus.

• mutantbeast says:

“Gloom , despair is agony on me…… Deep down depression, excessive misery…. Itf it werent for bad luck Id have no luck at all. Should be a line to describe all leftards.

2. mashall says:

“Yes, they’ll all come to see me in the shade of that old oak tree, as they lay me ‘neath the green, green grass of home.”

Edited for Accuracy

3. cyn3wulf says:

Most of you probably know Roy’s country music, but check out his work with legendary jazz guitarist Joe Pass on some Hank Williams classics. Here’s a sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoRq1JAwHJg

4. Season 1 EP-1 for those that want to see this “again” 1974..
    Very first episode.. (Johnny Cash is in this one)..

5. thedoc00 says:

Probably the most memorable guitar playing I ever heard was Roy Clark and Chet Atkins playing classical and country-western guitar duets on Hee Haw a few times.

6. Cooper45 says:

I’ll go out an a limb and say that everyone of almost any age that heard and or saw him perform was greatly entertained. My Dad was raised on a large farm and loved country music. The guitar sounds of Roy Clark or the voice of Marty Robbins and others were frequently heard in our house in the late fifties and early sixties. The cumulative enjoyment that Roy’s music brought to the homes in the USA and north of the border for years is incalculable.

I hope Roy’s wife Barbara is surrounded by loving family that are helping her deal with the most difficult of times. Sincere condolences to Barbara and her family and a big thanks to Roy for greatly entertaining my Dad and even us rock and roll loving kids.

7. PgtSndThinker says:

Thanks for all the musical samplings treepers! Maybe eventually MAGA will bring people back to placing a high value on high quality musicians and singers in wholesome performances.

• steph_gray says:

I will say that live local bluegrass is a BIG thing. Going to a big jam tomorrow night – we’ll have my honey’s guitar, my mandolin-guitar, and my accordion. We both lead lots of jam songs. I don’t actually have a Roy Clark in my list but we may come up with one. I do have a Buck Owens number “Love’s Gonna Live Here” so may pull it out.

Bluegrass was where I first heard Roy during the last few years (I spent years in folk, pop, rock, jazz, r&b, American songbook, and sundry before my current country/Americana/bluegrass phase). He was indeed amazing!

There was actually another fine Clark named Guy who died a few years ago and was a terrific songwriter.

Loads of great talent around. Never any reason to listen to the dumb canned pop garbage of today.

8. JimmyB says:

Thanks for the Memories Roy…..

9. JimmyB says:

Thanks for the Memories Roy…..

10. txjohn says:

What a true champion…61 years to his wife.
    Thank you Roy!

11. WeThePeople2016 says:

I loved watching him on Hee Haw every week with Buck Owens. He had incredible talent. RIP Roy!

12. JST1 says:

A brilliant artist.

13. Alligator Gar says:

Brings back childhood memories. RIP,, Roy.

14. Red says:

So sad…the music these days isn’t much thats for sure. Begs the question:” Who’s Gonna Fill Their Shoes”?

15. 4dsy says:

My early teen son has been playing for a couple years. He often shows me artists he “discovers” on YouTube. He’s an old soul and appreciates true talent, regardless of the genre or era from which it came. I’ll never forget the day he showed me Roy, whom I’ve always admired. He said, “Dad, you won’t believe how good this guy is!” Rest In Peace, Roy

16. ikey94 says:

Roy was the best imho. Loved Hee Haw. Awesome music by the best artists in country music piped free into your home every week. Didn’t get any better than that.

17. LeastInterestingManInTheWorld says:

Six strings down on a heaven bound flight……
    Got pick, a strap , a guitar on his back
    Ain’t gonna cut the angels no slack
    Heaven done called another blues stringer back home.

Godspeed Roy